Biden Presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
    I listened to Donald's while I was at work and it was boring af.
    At least we had Lady Gaga and JLO this time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
      Except you literally posted this lie yesterday:

You're not entitled to alternative facts. Biden was literally the most centrist contender running for the Democratic nomination. Period. And he routinely campaigned on unity, which you can easily Google.

Left wing sources called him a "closet Republican" and criticized how much he works with Republicans:

After the Capitol riots he said this:<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our way is plain: It is the way of democracy — of lawfulness, and of respect — respect for each other, and for our nation.</p>&mdash; Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1346938341791387651?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
      There is nothing "divisive" about that.
      Trump had quotes calling for unity and togetherness and all that jazz- so that does mean he was seeking unity? These are not alternative facts. Biden looking moderate next to Bernie and Warren isn't saying anything. You don't need a poli-sci degree to recognize what even Biden has called the most progressive agenda in modern history.

I understand that the lunatics of the left think Joe isn't a full-on revolution liberal. This doesn't mean anything. His policy agenda is NOT MODERATE. That is a normal fact in real-life.

This is a good preview of the unity to come. Libs looking over after four years of neverending hysteria in confusion to see why we aren't unified yet.
      Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
        Trump had quotes calling for unity and togetherness and all that jazz- so that does mean he was seeking unity? These are not alternative facts. Biden looking moderate next to Bernie and Warren isn't saying anything. You don't need a poli-sci degree to recognize what even Biden has called the most progressive agenda in modern history.

I understand that the lunatics of the left think Joe isn't a full-on revolution liberal. This doesn't mean anything. His policy agenda is NOT MODERATE. That is a normal fact in real-life.

This is a good preview of the unity to come. Libs looking over after four years of neverending hysteria in confusion to see why we aren't unified yet.
        I think the unity message might get lost on the left entirely unless Biden totally caves and gives the left everythig they want.

Comment

True, and he was also mean to Trump calling him the "worst president ever." I'm not saying he will perpetually be stuck in "aww shucks" mode where he's a soft blanket or won't ever go on offense when he thinks it is warranted, I'm saying he has a very long history of working across the aisle and I think the odds are strongly against him attacking conservatives (at-large) or elected officials on anything other than policy. I do not think you will see him call Ted Cruz's wife ugly or try to demonize people. I think you will see very measured rhetoric.

If he moves off that point an unfairly attacks/demeans people during his term I'll be the first to criticize him.
          Yeah, that’s a fair assessment. I will hope for Joe to proceed in this manner. It’s only fair to give the new POTUS a chance regardless of how one feels about him or her.

Comment

I'm not sure what is complicated here. There are two people on this site who have made multiple posts which the expressed idea that Joe Biden isn't and hasn't been for uniting the country. So then when Biden was giving a speech dedicated almost entirely to the concept of unity and bringing America together, which completely undermines this premise, and I made a tongue-in-cheek post to that effect.
            Joe Biden knows how to give a great “Aw shucks” Scranton-boy Joe speech. Props to him for that I suppose. But he routinely speaks out of both sides of his mouth. Joe routinely calls, or at the very least implies that, his political opponents are racist, which is literally the worst thing you can say about someone in modern America. He also fully accepts the theory that America’s foundational institutions are endemically racist. So he is not unifying nor is he particularly centrist at this point. He ran on the most progressive platform in history. A better word for him is inoffensive or something because he isn’t a total wild card like Trump.

Comment

• I am sitting here worrying about the friends and family I know who were into this Qanon shit. Sincerely hope they do not harm themselves or others. Some real despair and anger, and while from some of them I totally expect that, there are some who were not into this shit less than a year ago.

Anyone who thinks today was a snap of the fingers to "everything is fine" has another thing coming.
              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• I hope Biden is sincere and will actually follow through on genuinely trying to unify the country. I think it's an almost impossible task given the divisions, the rhetoric from both sides, and the pressure he'll be under from the radical branch of his own party, but let's hope. Every president says lots of feel good stuff and makes a lot of promises when they get sworn in. Maybe Joe actually means it and will follow through. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he succeeds. I hope he'll be given the same respect, treated as well, treated as fairly, and given the same opportunity to succeed as his predecessor.
                Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                  I am sitting here worrying about the friends and family I know who were into this Qanon shit. Sincerely hope they do not harm themselves or others. Some real despair and anger, and while from some of them I totally expect that, there are some who were not into this shit less than a year ago.

Anyone who thinks today was a snap of the fingers to "everything is fine" has another thing coming.
                  I agree 100%. I have had so many conservative friends send me messges from Pasters even talking about preparing for "something massive" in the next 48-96 hours and sending people to the bomb shelter to take inventory. Its not even the far right, its even a lot on what I would think would be moderte right. So many people said so many things I almost found myself hoping something bad would happen just so the church or christians wouldn't lose a lot of credibility, a lot of idiots with egg on their face.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post
                    I agree 100%. I have had so many conservative friends send me messges from Pasters even talking about preparing for "something massive" in the next 48-96 hours and sending people to the bomb shelter to take inventory. Its not even the far right, its even a lot on what I would think would be moderte right. So many people said so many things I almost found myself hoping something bad would happen just so the church or christians wouldn't lose a lot of credibility, a lot of idiots with egg on their face.
                    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Honestly we really are the cucks in the end,&quot; one despondent fan wrote about how Trumps presidency came to an end. <a href="https://t.co/KRNIvelOfA">https://t.co/KRNIvelOfA</a> <a href="https://t.co/Y6VAOCyFgD">pic.twitter.com/Y6VAOCyFgD</a></p>&mdash; Mack Lamoureux (@MackLamoureux) <a href="https://twitter.com/MackLamoureux/status/1351969407002685440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

Trump had quotes calling for unity and togetherness and all that jazz- so that does mean he was seeking unity?
                      Looking just at the most recent events, Trump started calling for "unity" after January 6th and before that spent the vast majority of his energy doing the literal opposite. All of his time from November until then was spent either attacking people or lying about a "stolen" election. The most shocking part was him attacking and threatening fellow Republicans who wouldn't break the law for him. His conduct towards Sterling, Raffensberger, Kemp, Ducey, and other officials cannot be called "unifying" by any stretch of the imagination. He even went after Pence calling him a "pussy" for wanting to follow the Constitution and not do something illegal. His comments towards led to people storming the Capitol chanting "HANG MIKE PENCE!" That's unity? That's bringing Americans together?

It's not about one statement, it's about a pattern of behavior. For Trump, I can find much more incendiary rhetoric over the past year than I can find legitimate efforts to bring people together. I can't say the same for Biden.

If a father is 95% of the time a caring, loving, and a good person... and a couple times yelled at his wife or kids... most would say he's kind person. If he spends 95% of his time yelling at his family you'd say he's abusive. And the inflection point is somewhere between those two extremes. Trump literally spent more time insulting his political opposition than any President in history.

Comment

Looking just at the most recent events, Trump started calling for "unity" after January 6th and before that spent the vast majority of his energy doing the literal opposite. All of his time from November until then was spent either attacking people or lying about a "stolen" election. The most shocking part was him attacking and threatening fellow Republicans who wouldn't break the law for him. His conduct towards Sterling, Raffensberger, Kemp, Ducey, and other officials cannot be called "unifying" by any stretch of the imagination. He even went after Pence calling him a "pussy" for wanting to follow the Constitution and not do something illegal. His comments towards led to people storming the Capitol chanting "HANG MIKE PENCE!" That's unity? That's bringing Americans together?

It's not about one statement, it's about a pattern of behavior. For Trump, I can find much more incendiary rhetoric over the past year than I can find legitimate efforts to bring people together. I can't say the same for Biden.

If a father is 95% of the time a caring, loving, and a good person... and a couple times yelled at his wife or kids... most would say he's kind person. If he spends 95% of his time yelling at his family you'd say he's abusive. And the inflection point is somewhere between those two extremes. Trump literally spent more time insulting his political opposition than any President in history.
                        "At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America, and through our loyalty to our country, we will rediscover our loyalty to each other. When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice. The Bible tells us, how good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity. We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements, but always pursue solidarity. When America is united, America is totally unstoppable. There should be no fear. We are protected, and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement. And most importantly, we will be protected by God."

That was four years ago. So he's good right?

Comment

How pissed do you guys think RDU and Drayer are listening to this speech dedicated to unity, treating people with respect (even if they disagree with you), finding common ground, etc.
                          Unity is a naive fantasy. I can respect a difference of opinion but that doesn't mean I am united. Such a low T talking point for the kumbaya crowds who vote on their emotions instead of logic. Respect - not unity. Unity is an issue specific thing, not a general state. We can be united in our love of Notre Dame but that doesn't mean we have to be united on how we should handle Mike Brey or I should be forced to every give a shit about Lacrosse.

Comment

Which actions are you referring to? Since becoming President he has:
                            1. Said a prayer for the 400k that have died to COVID.
                            2. Thanked Mike Pence.
                            3. Is on his way to Arlington National Cemetery for a memorial with past Presidents... except Trump, who refused to concede or attend the inauguration.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Biden's reputation in the Senate was for earnestly working across the aisle to pass bipartisan legislation, and he's been criticized by his own party for working too much with Republicans.

Not a single action he has taken has been to attack, disparage, or insult people on the "red team." Unlike his predecessor, who made a habit out of juvenile nicknames for opponents inside and outside his own party.

And btw, one side passing policy that Republicans don't like or Democrats isn't "anti-unity"... that's normal governmental function. What's anti-unity disparagement and vitriol towards the other side. Wake me up when Biden calls someone a "skank" or "crazy" or "dumbo" or a "monster."
                            You are a dog faced pony soldier, Jack. You should follow the Biden Insult Bot on Twitter - it is good stuff. Stop trying to deify politicians - that is exactly what they want and exactly why they look down on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                              Unity is a naive fantasy. I can respect a difference of opinion but that doesn't mean I am united. Such a low T talking point for the kumbaya crowds who vote on their emotions instead of logic. Respect - not unity. Unity is an issue specific thing, not a general state. We can be united in our love of Notre Dame but that doesn't mean we have to be united on how we should handle Mike Brey or I should be forced to every give a shit about Lacrosse.
                              Probably right about this. Forget about unity, we are too far apart to begin to talk about unity. If we could at least show each other some respect as we talk about difficult issues, we could at least begin to move forward. As it stands now Congress is totally dysfunctional. The politicians that actually do show respect to their counterparts across the aisle are targeted because they are not "true" Democrats or Republicans and are primaried out next cycle.

Comment

I think that is a good way to look at it. People could have 99% of things in common but if that 1% is politics people are wishing each other death.

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Honestly we really are the cucks in the end,&quot; one despondent fan wrote about how Trumps presidency came to an end. <a href="https://t.co/KRNIvelOfA">https://t.co/KRNIvelOfA</a> <a href="https://t.co/Y6VAOCyFgD">pic.twitter.com/Y6VAOCyFgD</a></p>&mdash; Mack Lamoureux (@MackLamoureux) <a href="https://twitter.com/MackLamoureux/status/1351969407002685440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                  A lot of conservatives might still be waiting for China to topple us ascending from the Canadian border. Some might have taken their ball and went home. I just know a lot of my conservative friends are very confused right now.

Comment

I'm blown away by some of the stupidity that I've seen. All I can figure is that our country has lost any reference of credibility. We are so post persuasion in this country that nobody is willing to listen to anyone and on the right because the media is 100% trash- people have gone to other places for information, and in some cases, they are heavily flawed. The whiny bitch fest we saw for four years can't go on from the right. I'm not sure who will guide the party out but I just want to go shake some of these people who still share Lin Wood stuff.

Comment

"At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America, and through our loyalty to our country, we will rediscover our loyalty to each other. When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice. The Bible tells us, how good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity. We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements, but always pursue solidarity. When America is united, America is totally unstoppable. There should be no fear. We are protected, and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement. And most importantly, we will be protected by God."

That was four years ago. So he's good right?
                                      I said "Looking just at the most recent events" and "It's not about one statement, it's about a pattern of behavior"... and you quote his inaugural where he then abandoned those positions and that temperament within a week.

For a refresher on his behavior and rhetoric, here is list of all of the times divisive Trump insulted someone on Twitter over his Presidency -- <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A list I am proud to be on.<a href="https://t.co/1uGgiMmQfd">https://t.co/1uGgiMmQfd</a></p>&mdash; Marc E. Elias (@marceelias) <a href="https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1351719365943635969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                      I would love to contrast it to Biden's list but there isn't one.

Comment

Except you literally posted this lie yesterday:

You're not entitled to alternative facts. Biden was literally the most centrist contender running for the Democratic nomination. Period. And he routinely campaigned on unity, which you can easily Google.

Left wing sources called him a "closet Republican" and criticized how much he works with Republicans:

After the Capitol riots he said this:<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our way is plain: It is the way of democracy — of lawfulness, and of respect — respect for each other, and for our nation.</p>&mdash; Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1346938341791387651?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                        There is nothing "divisive" about that.
                                        If all of those "likes" are from Americans then about 1 in 1000 liked this boring AF tweet. I am happy for you that a few platitudes from your ruling class does so much to calm your soul. Trump gets eyeballs b/c he is a slow motion train wreck that everyone can't help but slow down to rubber neck at. It is how he stood out from the crowd and surprised the establishment. It is his fatal flaw - had he just STFU for a year on Twitter he would be starting his second term today. People can be smart in some ways and dumb AF in others.

But you don't get to re-write history with Joe as some incredible statesman. He has been one of the dimmest bulbs in the room for as long as he has been in DC. Probably happy when Mazie Horono came to town take him out of the annual "Dumbest Senator" debate.

Comment

DJT tried to run things as a business and for many parts succeeded and did pretty well. Where he failed miserably was on the decorum side and trying to bully people with his comments, tweets and disregarding his subject matter experts when it came to COVID. He never allowed himself to acquiesce to the experts. I guess he must have thought that made him look stupid. And all this time all he had to do was act presidential.

Comment

Biden actually made exactly this point, and gave a list in his inaugural of what he is calling for unity on:
                                            What are the common objects we love that define us as Americans?

Opportunity.

Security.

Liberty.

Dignity.

Respect.

Honor.
                                            Last edited by IrishLax; 01-20-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

A lot of conservatives might still be waiting for China to topple us ascending from the Canadian border. Some might have taken their ball and went home. I just know a lot of my conservative friends are very confused right now.
                                              On the bright side, the hard part is probably over.

Joe Biden has been inaugurated. So those who were like "well it ain't over yet..." start facing that the clock hit 0:00.

Obviously some of them are going to be in denial but the court challenges are gone, the Don is no longer the President, and the sun will come up tomorrow without Chinese troops scaling the walls at Minot and Grand Forks AFB. If that continues on long enough, the anger of being cheated will hopefully dissipate.

I got some friends that are super into conspiracy stuff. Rather than call them idiots and tell them they are wrong I generally just wait until they find a new angle that disproves the old theory.

"So it turned out, I was completely wrong that we faked the moon landing. We actually landed on the moon, but they recorded it in a Hollywood studio because obviously cameras in the 60's couldn't transmit through Russian satellite jamming signals."

^ not a theory I've ever heard btw.
                                              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

If all of those "likes" are from Americans then about 1 in 1000 liked this boring AF tweet.
                                                Twitter is a bubble and Trump made many enemies. So every lib with a Twitter account (Twitter is wayyyy further left than even the Dem platform) in the US, Europe, etc is gonna hit the like button on that.

Off topic but we had a Twitter moment today in class. A student was asked how much more he'd be willing to pay for a car if the car emitted a noise that would alert nearby blind people not to walk into the street. The professor had to stop raising the price because the kid either A.) Has zero concept of money or B.) Didn't want to appear to others as though there was some price he was unwilling to pay to ensure the safety of a protected class.

Twitter and Facebook turn into largely the same thing for people I think. They end up associating with like minded people and start to conform their views to the most "pure" form of their group's core beliefs. Law school seems to be fairly similar.

Random observation that is very unrelated but it made me chuckle all the same.
                                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I said "Looking just at the most recent events" and "It's not about one statement, it's about a pattern of behavior"... and you quote his inaugural where he then abandoned those positions and that temperament within a week.

For a refresher on his behavior and rhetoric, here is list of all of the times divisive Trump insulted someone on Twitter over his Presidency -- <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A list I am proud to be on.<a href="https://t.co/1uGgiMmQfd">https://t.co/1uGgiMmQfd</a></p>&mdash; Marc E. Elias (@marceelias) <a href="https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1351719365943635969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                  I would love to contrast it to Biden's list but there isn't one.
                                                  If Trump could forget his phone passcode like Biden it would be a shorter list too.

Comment

Biden actually made exactly this point, and gave a list in his inaugural of what he is calling for unity on:
                                                    Nice platitudes - but you have to be able to respect the multitude of ways each of these concepts can be pursued.

Opportunity. Everyone should have the opportunity to loot and riot.

Security. Rioters should feel secure while breaking windows and throwing bricks at police.

Liberty. Bail them out and don't press charges.

Dignity. Rioters should not be subjected to arrest by dirty pig cops

Respect. Respect the right to burn and loot and trample on big corporations (or ma and pa car dealerships) who have insurance anyway.

Honor. - Celebrate these brave things that used to be called men and women.

If you can't agree to the above then you are a racist, unless the riot was in DC then it is all wrong. Capuche?

Comment

On the bright side, the hard part is probably over.

Joe Biden has been inaugurated. So those who were like "well it ain't over yet..." start facing that the clock hit 0:00.

Obviously some of them are going to be in denial but the court challenges are gone, the Don is no longer the President, and the sun will come up tomorrow without Chinese troops scaling the walls at Minot and Grand Forks AFB. If that continues on long enough, the anger of being cheated will hopefully dissipate.

I got some friends that are super into conspiracy stuff. Rather than call them idiots and tell them they are wrong I generally just wait until they find a new angle that disproves the old theory.

"So it turned out, I was completely wrong that we faked the moon landing. We actually landed on the moon, but they recorded it in a Hollywood studio because obviously cameras in the 60's couldn't transmit through Russian satellite jamming signals."

^ not a theory I've ever heard btw.
                                                      Its like 4th of July and you light the fuse of the $500 grande finale and poof, dud.
                                                      Last edited by Blazers46; 01-21-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

How pissed do you guys think RDU and Drayer are listening to this speech dedicated to unity, treating people with respect (even if they disagree with you), finding common ground, etc.
                                                        Lax I respect the hell out of you, and moreso than plenty of guys on here but let me offer this perspective:

Calling for unity is all well and good, but let's see what happens in the next two years with legislation considering Dems can do whatever the hell they want and no one in their way.

I don't have a crystal ball but I fully expect the Dems to roll out a bunch of social justice/ redistribution programs. And if they use the same playbook they did with Obama in office, anyone who disagrees with any of their ideas will be branded a racist/ nationalist/ white supremacist/ Nazi.
                                                        The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• What are the far left policies many are speculating that Biden will roll out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                            Lax I respect the hell out of you, and moreso than plenty of guys on here but let me offer this perspective:

Calling for unity is all well and good, but let's see what happens in the next two years with legislation considering Dems can do whatever the hell they want and no one in their way.

I don't have a crystal ball but I fully expect the Dems to roll out a bunch of social justice/ redistribution programs. And if they use the same playbook they did with Obama in office, anyone who disagrees with any of their ideas will be branded a racist/ nationalist/ white supremacist/ Nazi.
                                                            Your misunderstood. That is the right playbook for all Americans. We just dont understand that yet. Shame on those of us who don't see it.
                                                            Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. It’s my job to make sure we become that family.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

Nah just the ones who are racist, nationalist/ white supremacists/Nazis. The rest of you are just wrong. :) Elections have consequences. Did I say that right?
                                                              Last edited by GoIrish41; 01-20-2021, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Same crap, different pile.

Round these guys up and charge them right away!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/anti-bide...ortland-police

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
                                                                  What are the far left policies many are speculating that Biden will roll out?

Student loan forgiveness was a sexy topic recently.
                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Student loan forgiveness was a sexy topic recently.
                                                                    I don't remember him campaigning on that though, that was Bernie's idea IIRC.

I mean like straight up far left ideas or policy points that Biden campaigned on. For those that say Biden is far left or as one poster said the ultra left, what has he said or done that fits that?

The Keystone move was surprising, see Joe outflank Trudeau to left was unexpected. What are the folks in ND/SD saying about it?

Comment

I mean like straight up far left ideas or policy points that Biden campaigned on. For those that say Biden is far left or as one poster said the ultra left, what has he said or done that fits that?

The Keystone move was surprising, see Joe outflank Trudeau to left was unexpected. What are the folks in ND/SD saying about it?
                                                                      Biden's campaign is irrelevant, just like every other politician. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I personally like that he left Bernie Sanders out to dry on the Secretary of Labor position. I am in favor of that.

But the litmus test will be when something left of his natural middle left position comes for him to sign. Will he do it? Will he put pressure to avoid a hard turn left? It will be interesting to see. The conservatives are a mess, largely because Trump and others took a hard turn right. Would Biden risk the same? We'll see.

Comment

What is old Bernie up to anyway? Oh, Joe's Budget Chairman.

Comment

I own land in ND, I have family that farms in North Dakota, I havent had the time to even ask. But to say Keystone was a surprise is like saying you are surprised Alabama beat Notre Dame.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                            American United is his theme. Lol what joke. Glad to say I won’t be visiting this tread anymore. And that’s all I will say.
                                                                            No one's gonna miss you.

Comment

By confused you really mean stupid, right?

Comment

Ahhh ok I'm picking up what you are putting down. Original Uncle Joe ideas...he has never had one (plagiarism joke there).

The beauty of Joe Biden's campaign was literally zero liberals cared what he was running on, he wasn't Trump, they were going to turn out. I dont think he ran on any bizarre lefty ideas (he mentioned some nonsense about green energy but I dont believe he actually cares or will do much there) so he was going to get indy's on board too who didn't like the Donald.

But my understanding is our part of the pipeline is already done and I think operational...idk thats out of my wheelhouse, we probably got some oil/gas nerd on the board who follows that stuff more closely. Anyone who is hostile to oil/gas/fracking is hostile to North Dakota. South Dakota doesn't have much, if any of that going on so it matters less to them, Bishop might be more clued in on our dear friends in Pheasant country.

All I know is we got an unreasonable amount of oil and gas in the ground, it happens to be in the part of the state that is sparse and not hospitable to agriculture anyway, so let's frack the shit out of it and roll.
                                                                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I own land in ND, I have family that farms in North Dakota, I havent had the time to even ask. But to say Keystone was a surprise is like saying you are surprised Alabama beat Notre Dame.
                                                                                  Which neck of the (not) woods, buddy?
                                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Biden was probably the most centrist of all candidates. I think Bernie's orbit is harmful to the US economy, probably more than Trump's incompetent and uneducated team simply because it was a team of morons.

I'll be honest, though, I don't want unity. I want to crush people. I love all things strength and power, and it should be payback time. The dog is down, we should kick it... then burn it, then kick it again. How did it go? Oh yeah, fuck its feelings.

But, alas, the sorry sap democrats will probably want to do sorry sap things like unify the country, play fair, etc. I hate that part of the party. Why do we have to be jedi? I want to be sith, dammit.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
                                                                                      Nah just the ones who are racist, nationalist/ white supremacists/Nazis. The rest of you are just wrong. :) Elections have consequences. Did I say that right?
                                                                                      If you have never done so, I suggest reading "The Authoritarian Dynamic".

It's a fascinating read, especially in context of Trump, Brexit, etc. The point is clear though....there is a subset of people that have authoritarian tendencies. It's not race driven either, but rather they value order and obedience above all else. But those tendencies, especially politically, don't impact their voting until they physically feel threatened. Whether that is economic threats (white working class in the Midwest for example), physical safety (threat of ISIS) or something else, if it threatens their perceived notion of order, they will naturally align to leaders who "stand up" to the threat. It's important to note that they aren't against something because they hate "insert minority group here". It's the threat of their existence. It could be anyone threatening them, they would reach the exact same way.

Here is one other interesting theory from the book...physical threats will turn people without authoritarian tendencies into authoritarians, so long as the threat remains. That is why R's do well in elections when these threats exist. It's why they are also so strong on "law and order". It activates that trigger in some people.

The scariest part about it all is that Trump's existence isn't what created the circus. He just was the one this group aligned to. There will be others just like him and, according to election results, many are likely to succeed.

But IMO, as a country, we need to stop calling people Nazi's, racists, bigots, etc. There are certainly people who are. But to those who aren't, the mere suggestion that someone who appears to be seeking order similar to what they desire is called a racist, will perpetuate the cycle of feeling threatened. I know that is unlikely. But the boogeyman of "cancel culture" keeps the "résistance" alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                                                                                        Same crap, different pile.

Round these guys up and charge them right away!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/anti-bide...ortland-police
                                                                                        Agree. They are endemic and destructive. A real problem. That doesn't mean that can't be jailed and moved out. Here's the Oregonian description with 58 photos:

Inauguration Day in Oregon: Some protesters clash with police during Inauguration Day march (live updates)

Also a riot on Jan 1 with Mayor's response:
                                                                                        Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler calls for tougher penalties, more police tools, as protests mark new year in Oregon cities

That weekend Portlanders organized a cleanup of the downtown area damaged by those guys.

At a Pro-Trump rally on Jan 6, the day the Insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. This included the Proud Boys and other violent right wing extremists like Brewster:
                                                                                        Kyle Brewster, convicted in notorious 1988 hate crime killing, seen at pro-Trump rallies in Salem, Portland
                                                                                        Updated Jan 19, 2021; Posted Jan 18, 2021 (with photos)

One of the men convicted in the infamous 1988 hate killing of Mulugeta Seraw in Portland got into a bloody clash at the Jan. 6 pro-Trump demonstration outside the state Capitol in Salem.

Kyle H. Brewster, 51, also appears to have attended a Proud Boy rally last fall in Portland.

Rose City Antifa, Portland’s amorphous group of anti-fascist activists, posted photos of a man who appears to be Brewster at both events.

Willamette Week also reported that one of its correspondents said he saw Brewster fighting with leftist counterprotesters on the lawn at the Oregon Capitol event.

Brewster, long associated with racist groups in the Pacific Northwest, has been out of prison since 2010 and lives in Portland.

He was one of three men convicted in the fatal street beating of Seraw, a 28-year-old Ethiopian immigrant who was fleeing violence in his own country. (cont)
                                                                                        Not sure why Brewster hasn't been jailed for assault. Here's the murder he committed.
                                                                                        Mulugeta Seraw

I've noted the racist, white supremacist element in Oregon before and the fights in Salem. In one Trump rally on Jan 6, the pro-Trumpers invaded the Capitol when the legislature was in session, but were stopped by security. The legislature was canceled for the Inauguration.

Pro-Trump rally in Salem declared ‘unlawful assembly’ as DC protests turn violent (OPB) (photos and video)
                                                                                        Last edited by Legacy; 01-21-2021, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Eight People Arrested Following Damage of Private Property in Southeast Portland - Police Restore Order (Photo) (Jan 20, Portland Police Bureau)
                                                                                          - noted in Fox News article. Names are listed. Oregon media usually either posts their names or their booking photos.
                                                                                          Last edited by Legacy; 01-21-2021, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                                                                            I appreciate the responses from ND, I#1, arahop and drayer. Certainly the EOs are have become regular actions for Prezs "on Day 1". I was just referring to the those actions as comprised of the Unitary Executive theory and its perceived limits. Correct me if I am wrong that it goes back to Korematsu. We move forward as drayer says "I've found that building relationships and being nice goes a lot further than screaming and demanding."

Cheers, guys!
                                                                                            Was thinking about this yesterday. I think there's two reasons why he may not use EO's as often. 1. He has the House and Senate with him so getting things done should be a lot easier for him than it was for Trump. 2. Biden is an old D.C. politician. He won't have the same mindset or perspective as Trump when trying to get things done. Trump loathed the political BS that makes it impossible to get something passed and implemented fairly quickly so he used EO's to get around the "highway construction zone barriers".

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                                              If you have never done so, I suggest reading "The Authoritarian Dynamic".

It's a fascinating read, especially in context of Trump, Brexit, etc. The point is clear though....there is a subset of people that have authoritarian tendencies. It's not race driven either, but rather they value order and obedience above all else. But those tendencies, especially politically, don't impact their voting until they physically feel threatened. Whether that is economic threats (white working class in the Midwest for example), physical safety (threat of ISIS) or something else, if it threatens their perceived notion of order, they will naturally align to leaders who "stand up" to the threat. It's important to note that they aren't against something because they hate "insert minority group here". It's the threat of their existence. It could be anyone threatening them, they would reach the exact same way.

Here is one other interesting theory from the book...physical threats will turn people without authoritarian tendencies into authoritarians, so long as the threat remains. That is why R's do well in elections when these threats exist. It's why they are also so strong on "law and order". It activates that trigger in some people.

The scariest part about it all is that Trump's existence isn't what created the circus. He just was the one this group aligned to. There will be others just like him and, according to election results, many are likely to succeed.

But IMO, as a country, we need to stop calling people Nazi's, racists, bigots, etc. There are certainly people who are. But to those who aren't, the mere suggestion that someone who appears to be seeking order similar to what they desire is called a racist, will perpetuate the cycle of feeling threatened. I know that is unlikely. But the boogeyman of "cancel culture" keeps the "résistance" alive.
                                                                                              Excellent post.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                                                                                Biden was probably the most centrist of all candidates. I think Bernie's orbit is harmful to the US economy, probably more than Trump's incompetent and uneducated team simply because it was a team of morons.

I'll be honest, though, I don't want unity. I want to crush people. I love all things strength and power, and it should be payback time. The dog is down, we should kick it... then burn it, then kick it again. How did it go? Oh yeah, fuck its feelings.

But, alas, the sorry sap democrats will probably want to do sorry sap things like unify the country, play fair, etc. I hate that part of the party. Why do we have to be jedi? I want to be sith, dammit.
                                                                                                That incompetent, uneducated group had the economy humming like a fine tuned Rolls Royce with unemployment at record lows. Imagine if they were smart!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                                                  Having to give in and pamper the sense of being aggrieved is a far, far bigger problem in this country than the fact that many people actually feel aggrieved.

Even more so when the sense of feeling aggrieved actively hurts attempts to improve this country. For example, there's a real problem with race and bigotry and running on a platform of being aggrieved doesn't help, while actually making things worse.

I'd hope in a post-Trump world this would get better. Only a few pages into this thread and that appears not to be the case--the vast majority of anti-Biden comments are already drenched in being aggrieved.

Comment

Which neck of the (not) woods, buddy?
                                                                                                    Cando

Comment

• Sources tell CNN's MJ Lee that Joe Biden is inheriting a non-existent vaccination plan from the Trump administration. A source says that Biden's team is essentially starting from "square one" because there simply was no plan to the greatest crisis in U.S.
                                                                                                      (Me, acting completely shocked)

Goodness! I had no idea! for you see, I have been on Mars for the last 4 years, in a cave, with my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears.
                                                                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X