• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by drayer54 View Post

In separate news:
    Looks like more Bitcoin is headed to Russia.
    https://www.ajc.com/news/nation-worl...DPZHA5PVR7GZY/
    Hardening simply means they were implementing additional security measures. The small interruption could have been the new security measures (software) mistook some normal program functions as actual virus activity so they need to whitelist the program or executable. Threat Actors (hackers) rarely take control of a system. The vast majority simply encrypt the servers preventing you from accessing the data. The problem is they paid to get their systems back up and running. Attackers may provide them with the encryption key to unlock the system(s), but that's all they do. They will not remove the malicious software. If you don't find it, they can come back in and do it again. There is also a good chance they will sell the entry access on the dark web so you're still open for an attack. Them paying the ransom told me they do not have the proper recovery measures in place.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

Can confirm, got a brother-in-law in the Army that's an instructor and a buddy that's a Captain in the armor division. Both have commented about the reprogramming and the negative feelings in their circles about it, but both know it's their jobs if they speak out so they keep their mouths shut.
    Can't speak to the Army but the Air Force was pushing a lot of silly nonsense when I was working for them.

Leave a comment:

• Armyirish47
    replied
    Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

Can confirm, got a brother-in-law in the Army that's an instructor and a buddy that's a Captain in the armor division. Both have commented about the reprogramming and the negative feelings in their circles about it, but both know it's their jobs if they speak out so they keep their mouths shut.
    Lol.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied

Yeah, you're right. Army didn't make that press release on climate change, DoD is totally not pushing a left-wing narrative on the military, and the Space Force is totally consistent on what views are OK in public. I'm completely making this up.

In separate news:

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Biden wants to raise the maximum value of the child and dependent care tax credit to $4,000 for one child under age 13, or $8,000 for two or more kids. He wants to make it refundable, meaning low-income families could see an increase to their tax refund.

The president-elect is also calling to raise the child tax credit to $3,000 for kids 17 and younger, plus an extra $600 for children under age 6.
    If Uncle Joe keeps this up, he'll need to open another U.S. Mint. to keep enough money for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Originally posted by Armyirish47 View Post

Then you should be old enough to not fall for click bait headlines.
    Yeah, you're right. Army didn't make that press release on climate change, DoD is totally not pushing a left-wing narrative on the military, and the Space Force is totally consistent on what views are OK in public. I'm completely making this up.

In separate news:

Leave a comment:

• Armyirish47
    replied

I'm old enough to remember when combat readiness and mission execution was the priority of the military. At least that was when I was in. It started to drift away from that hard around 2010 IIRC.

Then you should be old enough to not fall for click bait headlines.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

I'm old enough to remember when combat readiness and mission execution was the priority of the military. At least that was when I was in. It started to drift away from that hard around 2010 IIRC.

We're two months removed the senior enlisted leader of the Space Force using his role to engage Tucker Carlson on social media. But this is too far?

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    The Bidens made $607,000 last year, their tax returns show. That's $300,000 less than 2019, in part because they gave up speaking engagements during the election.
    I notice there's no mention of their corporations in most articles, but found this

In 2017 and 2018, the Bidens' S corporations reported more than $13 million in profits and paid the couple less than $800,000 in salary. In 2019, they generated about $229,000 in profits and paid the couple about $309,000. In 2020 they reported less than $100,000 in profits while paying Dr. Biden $200,000 in wages.

The Bidens’ 2020 income came primarily from pensions, Social Security benefits and Dr. Biden’s speaking and writing engagements. The couple donated $30,704 to charity and paid $157,414 in federal income and self-employment taxes, or 25.9% of their adjusted gross income. They would pay more under Mr. Biden’s tax proposals, which would raise the top individual tax rate to 39.6% from 37%.

After Mr. Biden left the vice presidency in 2017, the couple routed their speech and writing income through S corporations. That move meant that the couple avoided Medicare taxes totaling 3.8% on much of their income, saving them as much as $500,000 in 2017 and 2018.

Legally, S corporations are supposed to pay only reasonable compensation to their owners equivalent to the market rate for such services. That compensation would face payroll taxes, and any remaining profits would be considered active business income outside the payroll tax or an equivalent 3.8% tax on investment income.

Leave a comment:

• Blazers46
    replied
    Originally posted by Armyirish47 View Post

The last time gas averaged that low in May non COVID was 2016.
    Here is an interesting link someone sent me about gas prices. I thought it was interesting. With adjusted inflation there is only an $0.08c difference.

https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensi...last-100-years

Leave a comment:

• PerthDomer
    replied
    Trump enjoyed Jay Powell's looser money policy that led to a tighter labor market and higher wages. Biden passed the stimulus in large part because the fed wanted assistance in looser fiscal policy. We have a tight labor market and are experiencing supply shocks (1/3 of inflation was increased used car/rental prices).

Powell's view (shared by most liberal economists and many conservative ones) is that since the 80's we've been fighting the last war and hedging too hard on inflation. Prior to the 80's we were the last war in terms of the depression (caused in large part by overly tight fiscal policy) which led to loose fiscal policy. That, OPEC, most wages being linked to COL increases have been linked to the stagflation of the 70's.

We knew supply shocks and catch up price growth from the pandemic induced drops were coming. The next few years will show if Powell's right and we ran the economy too cool in recent history.

Leave a comment:

• Armyirish47
    replied
    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
    Man I'd give anything for a few mean tweets, peace in the Middle East, a secure border, and gas around $2.39. What a $hitshow.

The last time gas averaged that low in May non COVID was 2016.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Found this little gem on the Wall Street Journal. Who was it that said Biden wasn't a millionaire?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the...ax-11597083162

Mr. Biden’s objections might be more persuasive had he and his wife, Jill, not gone out of their way to avoid funding seniors’ entitlement benefits. According to their tax returns, in 2017 and 2018 the Bidens and his wife Jill avoided payroll taxes on nearly $13.3 million in income from book royalties and speaking fees. They did so by classifying the income as S-corporation profits rather than taxable wages.

The Bidens did pay themselves “salaries” from their corporations—CelticCapri Corp. and Giacoppa Corp.—of nearly $750,000 between them over two years, and they paid full taxes on that income. But they circumvented the payroll tax on the nearly 95% of their income that remained. A tax expert interviewed by the Journal in 2019 called the Bidens’ scheme “pretty aggressive”; another told the paper it served solely to avoid the payroll taxes.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Free speech? Sure as long as it fits within certain criteria.

I guess Joe won't mind if I rent a bulldozer and topple the Washington monument?

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    To Dems, Antifa may be only an idea, but they did get a favor from the pro-riot Biden White House.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

Nope. I can tell you as a CPA who regularly deals with financing deals, we don't say "Hey Jim, got you buyer that's willing to lend at a 50% lower rate!!!!" It's just not how anyone remotely involved in finance speaks. On absolute numbers sure, but comparing interest rates? Never.
    Your also a Canadian and you guys.... well.... we don't need to go there. ;) at least you guys have us Claypool, Stan Rogers, and Gordon Lightfoot.

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

Uhhhh lol my old man's a banking guy and he'd probably mention both. Rate of change and total change are both relevant things to consider.

If I have a bank that is always getting me 6% interest and yours is getting you 4%, mine generates 50% more interest than yours does.

Similarly, if the government wants our inflation to be 2%/year, but we experience 4%, they should be mocked and ridiculed if they say "oh we only missed by 2%" rather than the people pointing out that they were off by their entire target.
    Nope. I can tell you as a CPA who regularly deals with financing deals, we don't say "Hey Jim, got you buyer that's willing to lend at a 50% lower rate!!!!" It's just not how anyone remotely involved in finance speaks. On absolute numbers sure, but comparing interest rates? Never.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Man I'd give anything for a few mean tweets, peace in the Middle East, a secure border, and gas around $2.39. What a $hitshow.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Joe playing the tough guy. I have a question for Joe.....How do you tell the difference between those that are vaccinated and not wearing a mask and those that aren't vaccinated and are not wearing a mask?
    Patches on arms???

Leave a comment:

• RDU Irish
    replied

Joe playing the tough guy. I have a question for Joe.....How do you tell the difference between those that are vaccinated and not wearing a mask and those that aren't vaccinated and are not wearing a mask?
    The only answer is to tattoo a big "V" on the forehead of those that were vaccinated. You can't mark those who haven't done it yet b/c then you have to remove it. And it's totally voluntary so you don't have to violate someone's rights to tattoo them. Otherwise it looks like Nazis marking up Jews.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Imagine using this logic to explain your grade's to your parents

You "MOM! Dad! I got an 74 in economics this semester. That's a 29% increase over the 57 I got last year"
    Them "Um, you were 17% points better..."

You would be laughed at, and ridiculed.
    Uhhhh lol my old man's a banking guy and he'd probably mention both. Rate of change and total change are both relevant things to consider.

If I have a bank that is always getting me 6% interest and yours is getting you 4%, mine generates 50% more interest than yours does.

Similarly, if the government wants our inflation to be 2%/year, but we experience 4%, they should be mocked and ridiculed if they say "oh we only missed by 2%" rather than the people pointing out that they were off by their entire target.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Interesting "Rule" change from "We the people"

Leave a comment:

• IrishRazor82
    replied
    This will go down in history as the worst administration in history. Partly because it is, but moreso because the data will be here to prove it unlike over the past 100 years.

The worst in history.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Interesting "Rule" change from "We the people"

My guess is Biden did a good thing here other than the tone and messaging to address the fear and panic his party has tried to maintain to keep the crisis tempo for power/spending. We're only weeks removed from the same CDC warning of impending doom and being lectured on neanderthal thinking.

I have to think Biden's team recognized that many are still irrationally terrified of COVID, likely because of their own rhetoric and they decided to take the masks off and change the guidance and follow the lead of folks like DeSantis and Abbott to get people back to work and address the jobs report. It's still clear that politics, not science is guiding the Biden CDC which even prompted Senator Collins of Maine to say she has lost respect for the CDC and no longer considers it the gold standard.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Border isn't a problem at all. We're stopping them in record numbers. Stopped = Good. Amirite?

Obama called it fundamental transformation.

Leave a comment:

• RDU Irish
    replied

Hard to grow fast from ~3% unemployment rates. People moving isn't the only indicator that red states are better.
    https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
    3% that are eligible for expanded unemployment benefits - if you want to work there are jobs to be had. Labor force participation sucks - how many people are on sabbatical, collecting Social Security early or otherwise hiding under their bed from Covid that would be working if not for the pandemic? Participation rate is still 3% below pre-pandemic levels - tons of labor supply that I think comes off the sidelines.

https://www.bls.gov/charts/employmen...ation-rate.htm

I don't have the data but which states have pulled the extra $300/week and when probably lines up pretty well with the best performing job market states.

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied

Except he didn't win the point.

March 2021 inflation: 2.6%
    April 2021 inflation: 4.2%
    Imagine using this logic to explain your grade's to your parents

You "MOM! Dad! I got an 74 in economics this semester. That's a 29% increase over the 57 I got last year"
    Them "Um, you were 17% points better..."

You would be laughed at, and ridiculed.

Leave a comment:

• RDU Irish
    replied

I don't know anyone that looks at it that way. Would be ridiculous to say "Inflation doubled!" in a hyperbolic way if it went from 0.1% to 0.2%. Biggest spike in ages and likely to be sustained for a while but you are playing liberal games of hysteria headlines by phrasing as a 50% increase.

But you are technically correct so I will only give Toronto half credit (still a record score for him in my book).

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied
    Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

Congrats on finally winning a point. IMO - too early to spike the football - yes we HOPE prices come down after a transitory restart phase, however so many areas of our economy have thin inventory and "just in time" manufacturing that I have doubts about the global capacity to catch up. Highest we have seen in 20 years does not even nip at the heels of Carter level inflation. I don't expect it to slow down in the next 12 months as pent up pandemic demand is unleashed and the 90% of people who didn't miss a paycheck are flush with cash they can't wait to spend.

Should be interesting to see the states that are nixing the extra $300/week unemployment benefit compared to those maintaining it. I expect impressive job growth in the less subsidized areas.

Also won't take many more ransomware attacks on infrastructure to prompt hoarding everywhere. Good time to revisit the "Preppers" thread.
    I take them when I can get them.

Of course, I'm not pro-inflation by any means. It's just not a surprise to anyone with a working knowledge of monetary policy and where the markets are at that it's happening. It would have happened under literally any person or political party.

I wish there was a dashboard or data set that you could look at for job postings and median wage offered to see if a place with higher wage offering's is going to see a better recovery in employment levels than a lesser area. This would help measure the impact of - I don't feel safe vs I'm not working for $7HR at Olive Garden.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Congrats on finally winning a point. IMO - too early to spike the football - yes we HOPE prices come down after a transitory restart phase, however so many areas of our economy have thin inventory and "just in time" manufacturing that I have doubts about the global capacity to catch up. Highest we have seen in 20 years does not even nip at the heels of Carter level inflation. I don't expect it to slow down in the next 12 months as pent up pandemic demand is unleashed and the 90% of people who didn't miss a paycheck are flush with cash they can't wait to spend.

Should be interesting to see the states that are nixing the extra $300/week unemployment benefit compared to those maintaining it. I expect impressive job growth in the less subsidized areas.

Also won't take many more ransomware attacks on infrastructure to prompt hoarding everywhere. Good time to revisit the "Preppers" thread.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

Hard to grow fast from ~3% unemployment rates. People moving isn't the only indicator that red states are better.
    https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

Not even close, because for 3 years I was this guy.
    It's red-state governors fixing the unemployment benefit problem. It's red states pushing schools to open. How many votes did the cash flood blue priority 'American Rescue Plan' pork bill get the GOP? Look at commodity prices since then. What event coincided with the border surge on or about Jan 20? Nothing will reassure our allies abroad more than Biden's CIA woke video series. Biden owns this crap and the problems his admin has created.

Leave a comment:

• RDU Irish
    replied

Not even remotely close lmao https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/cons...pril-2021.html

Up 4.2%

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

The job report isn't what we wanted to see, but you can still see why. Everything in the states is opening up again (good). That doesn't mean everyone is totally ready to get back into the workforce. That doesn't make them lazy or entitled. It means that some people might be questioning if it's safe to work in some of these sectors at the moment when the pandemic is still around (albeit things look really good). We also need to look at how virtual instruction is causing parents to potentially not return due to childcare.

A lot of the goods are in short supply because of the shut downs. Places are backlogged, but that doesn't mean a lot of this will be continuing forever. And I think it's funny how often people want to blame the Dems (of which I am not one), but Reps voted for how many spending bills that can be said to help with this inflation we are seeing. Only when the other guy is in office I guess...
    I think you may be mistaken about people being hesitant to return to work. I had most of my staff working remote last year from April through August. They were ready to come back to the office in June. Spoke to a couple of guys from AT&T recently who have been working from home. They are ready to get back in the office. One of my sons was told his job has been made work from home permanently. He is not a happy camper. This of course is a small sample size of about 15 people, but they are of different ages and about two thirds of them have kids in childcare or school.

I think there is the healthy mental health aspect of being around other people that gets overlooked.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied

You're getting there. Biden policies, blue-state policies, Biden economics all at play here and not exactly building back better.
    Not even close, because for 3 years I was this guy.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Not even remotely close lmao https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/cons...pril-2021.html

Up 4.2%
    I went to buy a box of Cheerios for the wife the other day, $4.59! About three months ago it was a little under $4.00. Milk was $1.79 and is now $2.29. I'll be the first to admit that math isn't my strong suit, but if my Texas Instruments TI-2500 is still working properly both of those increases are considerably more than 4%.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Border isn't a problem at all. We're stopping them in record numbers. Stopped = Good. Amirite?

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied

Can you do math?
    I can, are you blind?

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

The job report isn't what we wanted to see, but you can still see why. Everything in the states is opening up again (good). That doesn't mean everyone is totally ready to get back into the workforce. That doesn't make them lazy or entitled. It means that some people might be questioning if it's safe to work in some of these sectors at the moment when the pandemic is still around (albeit things look really good). We also need to look at how virtual instruction is causing parents to potentially not return due to childcare.

A lot of the goods are in short supply because of the shut downs. Places are backlogged, but that doesn't mean a lot of this will be continuing forever. And I think it's funny how often people want to blame the Dems (of which I am not one), but Reps voted for how many spending bills that can be said to help with this inflation we are seeing. Only when the other guy is in office I guess...
    You're getting there. Biden policies, blue-state policies, Biden economics all at play here and not exactly building back better.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Dems trying to shrug off the inflation problems is as funny as the lib media zooming past the border, gas pumps, Israel, job report, inflation, and more to stare down the crisis of our day: Liz Cheney.

You don't have to look far to find surging prices, whether it be corn, gas, steel, homes, lumber, food, energy bills or more. It's a real problem and one that has blown up in recent months.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Up 4.2%
    Can you do math?

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Dems trying to shrug off the inflation problems is as funny as the lib media zooming past the border, gas pumps, Israel, job report, inflation, and more to stare down the crisis of our day: Liz Cheney.

You don't have to look far to find surging prices, whether it be corn, gas, steel, homes, lumber, food, energy bills or more. It's a real problem and one that has blown up in recent months.

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied

I'm not an inflation expert by any means but i think its gone up like 50% in the last month.

Up 4.2%

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Inflation isn't even close to what it was then. LOL

The gas fumes from filling the plastic bags is causing them to hallucinate.
    I'm not an inflation expert by any means but i think its gone up like 50% in the last month.

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied

No it isn't. I know I'm not of that age, but no... it isn't. This is a distribution issue, not a political embargo by OPEC. The gasoline is here, ready to get to the gas stations.
    Inflation isn't even close to what it was then. LOL

The gas fumes from filling the plastic bags is causing them to hallucinate.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
    For those of us who are of a certain age, this is soooooo reminiscent of the Carter years in the late 70's. Welcome to my world, kiddos.
    No it isn't. I know I'm not of that age, but no... it isn't. This is a distribution issue, not a political embargo by OPEC. The gasoline is here, ready to get to the gas stations.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    For those of us who are of a certain age, this is soooooo reminiscent of the Carter years in the late 70's. Welcome to my world, kiddos.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied

We already pump billions of dollars of aid into these countries. Short of starting a war, to take over the country there isn't a lot that can be done for them. I have no problem accepting anyone as long as they come in legally and pay their share of taxes. I stop at giving them social security and welfare benefits if they haven't paid into the system.
    I agree with your overall premise, but we all know it isn't that easy. As RDU said, increasing visas and all is a great start. People are on that list for years. Tell me if your town was overrun by the cartel, raping young women, forcing teenage boys to become drug runners you wouldn't take your chances at the border?

I also do agree about the billions in aid. Where is that money REALLY going? Is it being used effectively? Also, where is the rest of the world in granting real support and aid for these people?

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    3 months and still no explanation from my buddy GoIrish41 on Biden's internment camps. Disappointing.
    He has a way of doing that...

Will never get over him accusing me of living in the middle of nowhere while I was ball's deep in Manhattan lmaoooo. Disappeared for like 8 months after that

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    3 months and still no explanation from my buddy GoIrish41 on Biden's internment camps. Disappointing.
    We just now got gas lines and inflation. It's not that radical lefties don't want the gulags. Just give it time.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X