Biden Presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PerthDomer View Post
    Violent crime is back on the uptrend. Started in 2015. Oh, we have a copycat that just got intercepted with body armor 3 long guns and 2 pistols.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...georgia-publix
    You are wrong. There was a slight uptick starting in 2015 according to the UCR but it began dropping again in 2018 and is back in line with where it was before then. 2020 statistics will probably look incredibly different with a sharp increase, but I would foresee the downward trend continuing once the pandemic passes.

Comment

Violent crime is back on the uptrend. Started in 2015. Oh, we have a copycat that just got intercepted with body armor 3 long guns and 2 pistols.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...georgia-publix
      Kind of a non-story, news outlets should be all over this...

Comment

If the arguement for the 2nd ammendment is to equal the government's power the AR 15 doesnt do it. The founders had no reason to separate hunting, military arms etc. Because they're the same thing. We own 4 times the firearms per capita as the next country on the list which is Yemen... another icon of freedom. Additionally if you ground your arguement in potential to overthrow a tyrannical government (Jan 6th style perhaps) you lose 80% of the populace.
        I'm not trying to overthrow the government nor do I foolishly believe I'll have better weapons than the US military. My point is that Americans have good reason to distrust our government and reason to believe they're not going to do their best to protect us. Good luck convincing people to disarm when this is our sad reality.

Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

Is there a place in the world where gun ownership has gone up and gun violence has gone down?
        Take a look at which nations have the highest rate of gun ownership per capita. Most have very low homicide rates. Some are so low its staggering. The leafs are pretty high on the list.

This doesn't fully respond to your question but it sheds some light on the issue.
        Last edited by Wild Bill ; 03-24-2021, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

Take a look at which nations have the highest rate of gun ownership per capita. Most have very low homicide rates. Some are so low its staggering. The leafs are pretty high on the list.

This doesn't fully respond to your question but it sheds some light on the issue.
          Yeah it's always crazy to me to see how high up we are, then again hunting is a big past time up north. I know of like two stores in my hometown (pop 80k) that sold guns. Looked at this chart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate did not realize that there would be that large of a discrepancy between suicides and homicides. Wonder if some sort of commonsense type background check can be used to help sift out anyone showing signs of mental illness. Of course that's incredibly vague and coming from someone with no knowledge in how the system works.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

Yeah it's always crazy to me to see how high up we are, then again hunting is a big past time up north. I know of like two stores in my hometown (pop 80k) that sold guns. Looked at this chart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate did not realize that there would be that large of a discrepancy between suicides and homicides. Wonder if some sort of commonsense type background check can be used to help sift out anyone showing signs of mental illness. Of course that's incredibly vague and coming from someone with no knowledge in how the system works.
            Common sense? At this point neither side wants to use that to resolve problems.

Comment

• Biden's feeling the heat over the immigration crisis and lack of press conferences. Assigned Harris to fix the border problem and will have a PC today. Smart move by his handlers to hold a PC today. Now he can deflect immigration questions by saying Harris has just started working on it and we need to be wait.

North Korea just fired a couple more missiles. Trying to get a response from Biden?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                Biden's feeling the heat over the immigration crisis and lack of press conferences. Assigned Harris to fix the border problem and will have a PC today. Smart move by his handlers to hold a PC today. Now he can deflect immigration questions by saying Harris has just started working on it and we need to be wait.

North Korea just fired a couple more missiles. Trying to get a response from Biden?
                So many American generals salivating over North Korea - so many North Korean generals salivating over visions of pallets of cash.

Guns and suicide are serious issues.
                https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ens-gun-477879

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

So many American generals salivating over North Korea - so many North Korean generals salivating over visions of pallets of cash.

Guns and suicide are serious issues.
                  https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ens-gun-477879
                  I hope the gun store owner made a copy of the paperwork before he handed it over to the ATF. His "No comment" tells me he probably faced some intimidation. Hunter is such a gem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

I'm not trying to overthrow the government nor do I foolishly believe I'll have better weapons than the US military. My point is that Americans have good reason to distrust our government and reason to believe they're not going to do their best to protect us. Good luck convincing people to disarm when this is our sad reality.

I think a combo of mental health and entitlement has been a deadly combo here in the US. Being a social worker for several years I always had the feeling people always felt like they were owed something.

Comment

• Gun deaths track both by country and by state correlate with gun ownership. It also is impacted by local and nearby state gun laws.

Gun buy backs are actually highly effective in reducing suicide deaths with weak homicide effects (people turn in older guns. Not things they're planning on using). Could be a good route for stimulus. Hard up for cash? Sell a gun.

Also, 2015 was a big spike in the murder rate and the slow downtrend after didnt get us back to 2015 before the pandemic. The atlantic has a good article I linked.

Comment

• Our numbers are impressive
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post

I think a combo of mental health and entitlement has been a deadly combo here in the US. Being a social worker for several years I always had the feeling people always felt like they were owed something.
                          What's the correlation between entitlement and gun related crimes?

Comment

There has always been a link between entitlement and crime as a whole. Maybe more of a narcisstic entitlement and a lack of empathy maybe. I tihnk overall people generally feel they deserve ABC so if they do not get ABC they take matters into their own hands. Shoplifting or stealing, people generally don't do it for shits and giggles. People are generally stealing things they need or want.

Take the Atlanta Spa shooter. He prioritized his sex addiction over 8 human lives and maybe more if wasn't stopped. I think any mass shooter from Columbine to Boulder (ironically about a hour away from one another) had this entitlement and obviously a lack of empathy.

Take the streets of Chicago or DC or St Louis... you have these gangs and drug dealers fighting for turf and respect. I want it, so I will take it by any means necessary.

**Edit - I have never been to Canada or really traveled much out of the United States but the people I talk to from other parts of the world seem to all agree Americans are entitled and selfish.... for the most part.
                            Last edited by Blazers46; 03-25-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Here is a serious sense of entitlement committing a gun-related crime- Joe doesn't have to look far to see how gun-control doesn't actually work.

Secret Service inserted itself into case of Hunter Biden’s gun
                              The bizarre incident involved a trash can, a man searching for recyclables and, eventually, federal law enforcement.

But a curious thing happened at the time: Secret Service agents approached the owner of the store where Hunter bought the gun and asked to take the paperwork involving the sale, according to two people, one of whom has firsthand knowledge of the episode and the other was briefed by a Secret Service agent after the fact.
                              The gun store owner refused to supply the paperwork, suspecting that the Secret Service officers wanted to hide Hunter’s ownership of the missing gun in case it were to be involved in a crime, the two people said. The owner, Ron Palmieri, later turned over the papers to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, which oversees federal gun laws.

The Secret Service says it has no record of its agents investigating the incident, and Joe Biden, who was not under protection at the time, said through a spokesperson he has no knowledge of any Secret Service involvement.

Days later, the gun was returned by an older man who regularly rummages through the grocery’s store’s trash to collect recyclable items, according to people familiar with the situation.

The incident did not result in charges or arrests.

But the alleged involvement of the Secret Service remains a mystery. One law enforcement official said that at the time of the incident, individual Secret Service agents at the agency’s offices in Wilmington, Del., and Philadelphia kept an informal hand in maintaining the former vice president’s security. The person cited an instance in 2019 when the Wilmington office of the Secret Service called the Delaware State Police to arrange security for a public appearance by Biden.
                              The Secret Service declined to answer a question about whether it had informal involvement in Biden's security during this period.

Asked whether the Secret Service requested state police security for Biden during the period when he was not under the agency’s protection, a Delaware State Police spokesman said, "I have reached out to our sergeant who oversees the Executive Protection Unit with the Delaware State Police. He is unaware of any such requests or services provided."

Any involvement by the Secret Service on behalf of the Biden family or on its own initiative would be inappropriate interference in an incident that was already being investigated by Delaware State Police with the involvement of the FBI, according to law enforcement officials.

POLITICO obtained copies of the Firearms Transaction Record and a receipt for the gun dated Oct. 12, 2018.

Hunter responded “no” to a question on the transaction record that asks, “Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?” Five years earlier, he had been discharged from the Navy Reserve after testing positive for cocaine, and he and family members have spoken about his history of drug use.

Lying on the form is a felony, though prosecutions for it are exceedingly rare.

Neither Hallie Biden nor George Mesires, a lawyer for Hunter Biden, responded to requests for comment.

The gun-store incident occurred during a period after Hunter Biden’s administrative discharge from the Naval Reserves for his positive cocaine test and his subsequent divorce from his first wife, Kathleen. At the time of the gun incident, Hunter was in a romantic relationship with Hallie, the widow of his latebrother, Beau.

The incident began when Hallie searched Hunter’s pickup, which was parked at her home in Wilmington, because of unspecified “suspicions she had,” according to the Delaware State Police report. Inside the truck, she found a .38 revolver.

Hallie took the gun to Janssen’s Market, a nearby high-end grocery store where the Bidens are longtime regular customers. There, she tossed the gun, wrapped in a black shopping bag, into a trash bin outside of the store.

Later that day, Hallie informed Hunter of what she had done, and he instructed her to retrieve the gun, according to the police report. When Hallie returned to the grocery store, she found that the gun was missing from the garbage bin and reported the issue to the store. Police received calls from the store’s general manager, Paula Janssen, and from another person, according to the report.

The missing gun caused heightened concern, according to the police report, because the grocery store sits across the street from Alexis I. du Pont High School.Arriving on the scene, Delaware State Police retrieved security camera footage from the store and interviewed Janssen, the store manager. “We complied with the police and gave them whatever security footage we could,” Janssen told POLITICO.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation also responded to the scene, according to people familiar with the situation. At the time, the FBI was monitoring Hunter Biden as part of an investigation that remains ongoing and that currently focuses on his taxes. The FBI declined to comment.

In addition to questioning Hallie, police called Hunter to the scene, where he was questioned outside the store’s loading dock area and explained he used the gun for target practice, according to the report.

At one point, two of Janssen’s employees, described by the police report as “Mexican males,” walked past the loading dock area, and Hunter told a police officer that the store had some suspicious people working for it. Asked if he was referring to those two staffers, Hunter responded, “Yea, prolly illegal,” according to the report.

When a police officer asked Hunter whether the gun had been used in a crime, the officer reported that Hunter "became very agitated with me and asked me if I was intentionally trying to make him mad," according to the report.

When the officer asked Hunter whether he had been doing drugs or drinking heavily, he responded, "Listen, it isn't like that. I think she believes I was gonna kill myself," according to the report.

An officer asked Hunter whether he had called his father about the incident before he arrived. Hunter responded, “I have never called my dad for anything,” according to the police report.

After being questioned, Hunter retrieved the case for the gun — which included the gun's serial number — from Hallie's house and returned to the grocery store to hand it over to police, according to the report.

While police questioned Hunter and Hallie, two Secret Service agents arrived at the store where Hunter had purchased the gun, StarQuest Shooters & Survival Supply in Wilmington, according to the two people familiar with the incident. The agents showed their badges and identification cards to Palmieri, the store’s owner, and asked to take possession of the Firearms Transaction Record that Hunter had filled out to buy the gun earlier that month, according to the people familiar with the incident.

Palmieri refused to hand over the transaction record to the Secret Service agents because such records fall under the purview of the ATF. The Secret Service agents left without the records, according to the people familiar with the case. Later that day, the ATF arrived at the store to inspect the records.

Palmieri declined to comment on the episode.
                              ATF spokesman Andre Miller referred questions to the Delaware State Police. Jason Hatchell, a spokesman for the Delaware State Police, said any questions about the incident would have to be filed through a Freedom of Information Act Request. The Delaware State Police previously rejected POLITICO’s FOIA request for records related to the incident last November.

The incident has received scant attention, save for a report on the conservative website The Blaze that focused on the state police decision not to file charges against either Hunter or Hallie.

A Secret Service spokesperson said the agency has no record of involvement in the incident: “U.S. Secret Service records confirm that the agency did not provide protection to any member of the Biden family in 2018, and that the Secret Service had no involvement in this alleged incident.”

Biden and his family members had been under around-the-clock protection by the Secret Service during his eight years as vice president from 2009 to 2017. Biden’s Secret Service detail resumed in March 2020 after he locked up the Democratic presidential nomination.

A White House spokesperson said Biden was not aware of any Secret Service involvement in the episode: “President Biden did not have any knowledge of, or involvement in, the Secret Service’s alleged role in this incident, and neither he nor any family member was a protectee at that time.”
                              Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post

There has always been a link between entitlement and crime as a whole. Maybe more of a narcisstic entitlement and a lack of empathy maybe. I tihnk overall people generally feel they deserve ABC so if they do not get ABC they take matters into their own hands. Shoplifting or stealing, people generally don't do it for shits and giggles. People are generally stealing things they need or want.

Take the Atlanta Spa shooter. He prioritized his sex addiction over 8 human lives and maybe more if wasn't stopped. I think any mass shooter from Columbine to Boulder (ironically about a hour away from one another) had this entitlement and obviously a lack of empathy.

Take the streets of Chicago or DC or St Louis... you have these gangs and drug dealers fighting for turf and respect. I want it, so I will take it by any means necessary.

**Edit - I have never been to Canada or really traveled much out of the United States but the people I talk to from other parts of the world seem to all agree Americans are entitled and selfish.... for the most part.
                                Ah ok got ya. Yeah I think the ROW see's the entitlement in things like American Exceptionalism, and challenging by foreigners of it is not generally accepted by American's. There's a lot of salty Canadians for example that think a city like Montreal is on par with NYC, which it obviously isn't. So there's some jealously mixed in with some valid criticisms, but of course way more complex than anything I can say.

(You're not missing much by not coming up here, Toronto/Alberta and maybe BC are the only real places to visit)

Comment

• 64 days into the term and he's being asked if he plans to run again in 2024.

It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• The whole Joementia thing is going about as well as painting GWB a moron. It gives him a relatively low bar to clear to impress people.

Comment

The whole Joementia thing is going about as well as painting GWB a moron. It gives him a relatively low bar to clear to impress people.
                                      It doesn't matter how low the bar. Joe isn't going to impress many.

Comment

• Yamiche Alcindor basically gave him a tongue bath as the pre-selected questions were delivered and our one-sided media placed wiffle balls on a low tee. Journalism is dead and the democracy is in danger when we have no media.

Also- not sure how anyone can pretend that unity is a thing for him after the filibuster/posturing comments. Ben Sasse of Nebraska read Biden's own speech on preserving the filibuster on the Senate floor during the conference.

Comment

• It seems to me that the risk of fascism rises exponentially when the media is in the pocket of those in power.

Comment

• Biden gave cogent answers and was directly questioned. He understands the midterm and election will be decided by unemployment, gdp growth, inflation. Paring down programs that are massively popular to satisfy 10 repubs is going to leave him in a bad spot.

Comment

• Was there a single question about Covid at all or am I the one with dementia now too?

I don't recall a single question about Covid.
                                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                Was there a single question about Covid at all or am I the one with dementia now too?

I don't recall a single question about Covid.
                                                Did we really need to hear Biden take credit for the previous administration's work again?

Plus- the press is D friendly and this could create awkward lockdown question scenarios.

Comment

Biden gave cogent answers and was directly questioned. He understands the midterm and election will be decided by unemployment, gdp growth, inflation. Paring down programs that are massively popular to satisfy 10 repubs is going to leave him in a bad spot.
                                                  "massively popular" on blue check twitter maybe. HR1, gun control, and Biden's approval rating are not what you seem to think they are. It wasn't a mandate election. Biden may have had decent answers on his notebook that he had to read for prepared remarks from pre-selected reporters.

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                                                    Yamiche Alcindor basically gave him a tongue bath as the pre-selected questions were delivered and our one-sided media placed wiffle balls on a low tee. Journalism is dead and the democracy is in danger when we have no media.

Also- not sure how anyone can pretend that unity is a thing for him after the filibuster/posturing comments. Ben Sasse of Nebraska read Biden's own speech on preserving the filibuster on the Senate floor during the conference.
                                                    This week alone:

NPR interview Chad Wolf about what is going on at the border
                                                    Chuck Todd having insurectionists on his show (that's just about weekly now) in addtion to speaking to all white panels about voting rights.
                                                    Politico stirring up more Hunter Biden muck, and Ben Shapiro writing their newsletter.

We have not had a major gun safety law pass the House and the Senate since 1994, but I don't hear that being talked about. Lauren Boebert sent out an email two hours after the Boulder shooting with the following subject line: "I told Beto HELL NO to taking our guns. Now we need to tell Joe Biden." Saw nothing about that on CBS, ABC, NBC or FOX.

Liberal media bias? There's a unicorn in my front yard.

Comment

Did we really need to hear Biden take credit for the previous administration's work again?

Plus- the press is D friendly and this could create awkward lockdown question scenarios.
                                                      I still have the pandemic on my mind as a major concern. I'm going to guess that I'm probably not alone.

Didn't seen very responsible that not a single question was asked about it, regardless of whatever perceived bias or made up conspiracy there is about the questions.

Comment

"massively popular" on blue check twitter maybe. HR1, gun control, and Biden's approval rating are not what you seem to think they are. It wasn't a mandate election. Biden may have had decent answers on his notebook that he had to read for prepared remarks from pre-selected reporters.
                                                        Biden's approval is close to 60%. The rescue package had 75% approval. HR1 and gun control will get pared down and what the senate votes on will be quite popular. Likely HR 1 loses the financing portion and gun control is just background checks.

Biden is not Obama. You don't win by going 4 corners and going Birther on him. He isn't otherisable. Trump getting big for his britches and starting MAGA twitter may help him as it pulls the repubs to far right. Gives him a bad guy to distract progressives with, and stay Manchin level centrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                          It seems to me that the risk of fascism rises exponentially when the media is in the pocket of those in power.
                                                          Basically every facist rise has painted the media as the bad guys and neutered the press. Generally paint them as part of the establishment or socialist sympathisers etc. In Germany the media was called the Lugenpresse or "lying press"

Comment

This week alone:

Chuck Todd having insurectionists on his show (that's just about weekly now) in addtion to speaking to all white panels about voting rights.
                                                            Politico stirring up more Hunter Biden muck, and Ben Shapiro writing their newsletter.

We have not had a major gun safety law pass the House and the Senate since 1994, but I don't hear that being talked about. Lauren Boebert sent out an email two hours after the Boulder shooting with the following subject line: "I told Beto HELL NO to taking our guns. Now we need to tell Joe Biden." Saw nothing about that on CBS, ABC, NBC or FOX.

This is insanity.

To pretend that our entire mainstream media isn't hawking for the Dems is to shove your face in the sand and plug your ears.

Chuck Todd is a liberal hack who literally used manipulated media to attack AG Barr. I know the left thinks racism is cool when it's against whites like blocking white nominees and training people that white people are oppressors, CNN and MSNBC are dedicating hours a day to convincing people the GOP is racist, and more but voting rights is not a conversation that only impacts black people and disqualifying things because people don't meet the identity politics threshold is ridiculous.

Politco is covering a story that the left-wing press buried in October 2020 when it came out because why? They were also busy covering up the laptop and foreign corruption story- BECAUSE IT HURT BIDEN. Are you arguing politico should continue to bury anything that hurts Biden?

Which insurrectionist that is currently trying to steal Iowa 2 did Chuck Todd have on his show?

Boebert and Greene get flooded with coverage because libs hate them. I don't see the problem with her raising awareness to protect liberty. We haven't had a gun-control law because we don't need more gun-control laws. Gun-control laws are ineffective and designed to deter gun ownership and eliminate the Second Amendment because the left wants to eliminate a voting bloc. It's about power, not safety. We knew that when they decided to no longer deport criminals a few months back.

The whole news cycle is slanted against Republicans because the journalism field is DOMINATED by democrats. The biggest threat to our Democracy right now is a unified Democratic-controlled press and that is what is pushing us closer to actual fascism.

Comment

Trump claimed a mandate in 2016, Biden tied Trump with EC votes and clowned him on the popular margin. Would you say Trump had a mandate?

Comment

Basically every facist rise has painted the media as the bad guys and neutered the press. Generally paint them as part of the establishment or socialist sympathisers etc. In Germany the media was called the Lugenpresse or "lying press"
                                                                What we have now resembles Soviet-era Russia.

Comment

Trump claimed a mandate in 2016, Biden tied Trump with EC votes and clowned him on the popular margin. Would you say Trump had a mandate?
                                                                  No. He didn't even win the popular. It's a deeply divided country.

Comment

This is insanity.

To pretend that our entire mainstream media isn't hawking for the Dems is to shove your face in the sand and plug your ears.

Chuck Todd is a liberal hack who literally used manipulated media to attack AG Barr. I know the left thinks racism is cool when it's against whites like blocking white nominees and training people that white people are oppressors, CNN and MSNBC are dedicating hours a day to convincing people the GOP is racist, and more but voting rights is not a conversation that only impacts black people and disqualifying things because people don't meet the identity politics threshold is ridiculous.

Politco is covering a story that the left-wing press buried in October 2020 when it came out because why? They were also busy covering up the laptop and foreign corruption story- BECAUSE IT HURT BIDEN. Are you arguing politico should continue to bury anything that hurts Biden?

Which insurrectionist that is currently trying to steal Iowa 2 did Chuck Todd have on his show?

Boebert and Greene get flooded with coverage because libs hate them. I don't see the problem with her raising awareness to protect liberty. We haven't had a gun-control law because we don't need more gun-control laws. Gun-control laws are ineffective and designed to deter gun ownership and eliminate the Second Amendment because the left wants to eliminate a voting bloc. It's about power, not safety. We knew that when they decided to no longer deport criminals a few months back.

The whole news cycle is slanted against Republicans because the journalism field is DOMINATED by democrats. The biggest threat to our Democracy right now is a unified Democratic-controlled press and that is what is pushing us closer to actual fascism.
                                                                    Lol looks like that Biden press conference didn’t go how you thought it would...

Comment

• Trump passed tax cuts with 30 something percent approval across the electorate. What Biden's done so far has a popular mandate after he won with significantly more popular vote than Trump did.

Comment

• Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post

Lol looks like that Biden press conference didn’t go how you thought it would...
                                                                        Of course it did. Old man rambled with low expectations and he met them. It wasn't surprising to me. He gets away with dodging questions and I was surprised they didn't press him harder on some things, particularly the filibuster and transparency at the border. The notes surprised me. I didn't expect him to call on Doocy.

Yamiche Alcindor surprised me with her questioning. It was completely shameless and embarrassing.

Comment

Of course it did. Old man rambled with low expectations and he met them. It wasn't surprising to me. He gets away with dodging questions and I was surprised they didn't press him harder on some things, particularly the filibuster and transparency at the border. The notes surprised me. I didn't expect him to call on Doocy.

Yamiche Alcindor surprised me with her questioning. It was completely shameless and embarrassing.
                                                                          Cry more lib

Comment

Trump passed tax cuts with 30 something percent approval across the electorate. What Biden's done so far has a popular mandate after he won with significantly more popular vote than Trump did.
                                                                            Duly noted about Trumps tax cuts.

LOL, Nothing about that election was a vote for a popular mandate that Biden was proposing. You almost make it sound like he won in a landslide. Heck a ton of people weren't even voting for Biden or anything that he stood for, they were simply voting against Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post

Duly noted about Trumps tax cuts.

LOL, Nothing about that election was a vote for a popular mandate that Biden was proposing. You almost make it sound like he won in a landslide. Heck a ton of people weren't even voting for Biden or anything that he stood for, they were simply voting against Trump.
                                                                              I don't recall HR1, Biden's gun control plan, ending the filibuster, or any of this in the debates. They both shamelessly dodged court-packing questions. They took minimal pressers and let the press/big tech/big money do the work. Nothing about it was a mandate and for Biden to run the most progressive administration in history of this is insane. If they pass HR1 and crush the filibuster while disenfranchising Iowa 2 voters- they deserve every bit of repercussion they get.

Comment

• Biden won by 4.5% the last election won by that margin or greater was 2008. Before that 1996. HR1 wasn't an issue because the republicans hadn't lost the election and decided their mistake was letting people vote yet. Gun control is now an issue because we've had 2 mass shootings in a week.

GOP issue is even weighted by age the Silent Generation is the whitest most repub generation. Millenials are the most liberal besides Gen Z (too young to really know how they'll vote in 10 years). Every 4 years the electorate moves 1% more liberal just based on old voters dying and young people reaching 18. The Republicans need to find actual issues to run on or they're in trouble.

Comment

Both Hitler and Mussolini knew the importance of controlling the media, whatever support that didn't come naturally, they legislated and coerced until they were able to control. The media is currently in the back pocket of the Dem's. They have simply cut out the middle man. The real risk to democracy is when one side can control the media sufficiently that any opposition voices are basically squelched. I don't know if we are quite there yet, but we are pretty close. I still maintain that I see far more risk of a Dem President obtaining that kind of control then a Republican President.

Comment

Biden won by 4.5% the last election won by that margin or greater was 2008. Before that 1996. HR1 wasn't an issue because the republicans hadn't lost the election and decided their mistake was letting people vote yet. Gun control is now an issue because we've had 2 mass shootings in a week.

GOP issue is even weighted by age the Silent Generation is the whitest most repub generation. Millenials are the most liberal besides Gen Z (too young to really know how they'll vote in 10 years). Every 4 years the electorate moves 1% more liberal just based on old voters dying and young people reaching 18. The Republicans need to find actual issues to run on or they're in trouble.
                                                                                    Should run more guys that suggest ingesting bleach, expand that 4Chan voter block.

Comment

Biden won by 4.5% the last election won by that margin or greater was 2008. Before that 1996. HR1 wasn't an issue because the republicans hadn't lost the election and decided their mistake was letting people vote yet. Gun control is now an issue because we've had 2 mass shootings in a week.

Yes

Comment

• Comment

Biden didn't win by 4.5% He won by the cumulative margin of victory in a few states to get 270.

Ehhh millenials are the most liberal because they are the youngest I imagine. Anyway, this stuff all ebs and flows anyway. Half the game is just capitalizing on the other team's mistakes and Dems are no strangers to making big ones.

We see the narrative anytime the GOP loses a Presidential election. "Is the Republican Party on its Deathbed?" Parties adjust. Does the GOP have work to do? Yep.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

This is insanity.

Everyone goes to their own trough, but how is yours any better? Especially when you spout off about how everyone is being deluded by liberal hack journalism while you saturate this board with generalities like “the left thinks racism is cool when it’s used against whites”. I think I’d rather distrust your perspective when this is how you frame arguments.

Comment

This week alone:

You're legit on a different planet if you contend that the majority of the US media doesn't lean left.
                                                                                              The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post

It went exactly as most of us thought it would: 20 media members with pre-screened questions to an early onset dimentia president using note cards to answer those questions.
                                                                                                The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by ND88 View Post

Everyone goes to their own trough, but how is yours any better? Especially when you spout off about how everyone is being deluded by liberal hack journalism while you saturate this board with generalities like “the left thinks racism is cool when it’s used against whites”. I think I’d rather distrust your perspective when this is how you frame arguments.
                                                                                                  The same people that call anything Left of Ben Shapiro fake news love to post Politico or WP whenever it's critical of anyone on the Left. It's amazing to see the transformation of Politico being fake news up until November 2020, to being a reliable news site (sometimes).

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

Biden didn't win by 4.5% He won by the cumulative margin of victory in a few states to get 270.

Ehhh millenials are the most liberal because they are the youngest I imagine. Anyway, this stuff all ebs and flows anyway. Half the game is just capitalizing on the other team's mistakes and Dems are no strangers to making big ones.

We see the narrative anytime the GOP loses a Presidential election. "Is the Republican Party on its Deathbed?" Parties adjust. Does the GOP have work to do? Yep.
                                                                                                    Due to the vagaries of the electoral college the partisan advantage vis a vis the popular vote flips from time to time (Kerry almost won the EC despite losing the popular vote) because if this tracking the popular vote is more accurate in terms of where things are trending (like tracking yards for/against. 2012 ND was undefeated but advanced stats had them barely top 10).

Millenials may trend more conservative, but consider 25 and 35 year old vote identically. This is very odd. People tend to make a Pepsi vs coke delineation between the parties after their 1st 2 elections. People who came of age under eisenhower vote more republican than those in the age of Kennedey. Reagan is really the last president that had a positive partisan effect for Republicans. Those people are 50+. Clinton had a positive impact for dem branding, GWB was awful for repub branding, Obama loved by the young, Trump hated by young voters.

Additionally the country gets more college educated and less white over time. This crushes the republican base. Under 40 repubs additionally believe in climate change and are more open to government involvement in the economy.

I'm of 2 minds of where this can go. Throughout our history we tend to have one party dominate with either a flip to the other or a contentious period of polarization. It was Dem vs Federalist. The Federalists got on the wrong side of immigration, lost their leader to a duel and fell apart. Then it was the dems vs. The whigs. The Whigs were torn apart by divisions on Slavery. The repubs dominated from the civil war through Grant's presidency. Then the Gilded age was really a hyper partisan time with no consensus. Republicans came to dominate from 1900 till Hoover (Wilson won but due to a split repub vote) The Dems really dominated up till Reagan after the Depression.

Every repub president offered a slightly moderate version of the new deal/was ok with big government. Then with Reagan came a small government/Republican consensus. Even Clinton was a moderate caretaker of the Reagan consensus. Since 2000 we've been trending towards a Gilded era style polarization. The question is what is the new consensus and do we get another 20 year era of a New Deal or Reaganomic consensus. It seems there is a big government consensus coming and the question is whether the R's adapt or are happy being a dominant regional party

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

It went exactly as most of us thought it would: 20 media members with pre-screened questions to an early onset dimentia president using note cards to answer those questions.
                                                                                                      If you’re going to baselessly accuse someone of having dementia, at least learn how to spell it...

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X