Biden Presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Janet Yellen accepted $810,000 in speaking fees from Citadel, owner of Robinhood. <br><br>Reporter: Are there any plans to recuse herself from advising the President on GameStop and Robinhood situation?<br><br>Psaki: ‘No and she’s an expert and deserves that money.’<br><br> <a href="https://t.co/fvn1Chu30P">pic.twitter.com/fvn1Chu30P</a></p>&mdash; Jessica Grace �� (@IsicaLynn) <a href="https://twitter.com/IsicaLynn/status/1354894529208348673?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    She’s the a woman Secretary of the Treasury. Nothing else matters. Follow along.
    Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
      Nah, just accept reality as it is without trying to complicate it for the sole purpose of disagreeing.
      The reality is you've retreated and are now resorting to picking one year of a President's term as the proof of some sort of economic genius by Trump and then requesting that one not add complex or overthink it. Lolol are you a producer for Mark Levin or some crap?

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Janet Yellen accepted $810,000 in speaking fees from Citadel, owner of Robinhood. <br><br>Reporter: Are there any plans to recuse herself from advising the President on GameStop and Robinhood situation?<br><br>Psaki: ‘No and she’s an expert and deserves that money.’<br><br> <a href="https://t.co/fvn1Chu30P">pic.twitter.com/fvn1Chu30P</a></p>&mdash; Jessica Grace �� (@IsicaLynn) <a href="https://twitter.com/IsicaLynn/status/1354894529208348673?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
        Magnificent job. That tap dancing would put Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers to shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
          I suspect the reason single stall bathrooms aren't more common is cost. I hate taking dumps while some dude next stall over is also going through some sort of ordeal.

Eh....idk how the prison system is supposed to treat that crowd. At that point you've forfeited your right to calling many shots. If you let incarcerated people pick which prisons they go to....that is 1000% ripe for and pretty much begging for abuse.
          Cost is an issue for sure like most things. Also from an architectural POV space for restrooms/locker rooms is limited in most buildings (especially older buildings needing renovations) and so the idea is to provide the most service in the smallest space possible while also maintaining required clearances for fixtures, partitions, ceilings etc. Newer construction typically takes all this into account and there are numerous ways architects take into account LGTBQ citizens needs similarly to handicapped persons and families. For newer construction its really not a big deal and most people accept the need to provide multipurpose spaces.

At my airport I was recently involved in renovating an existing terminal to accept new international flights. The terminal was originally constructed in 1984 and had no updates since and was not constructed with much thought except functionality . In order to meet international security, and debarkation requirements, DHS, Border Patrol and FAA requirements we had to incorporate multiple spaces designed to be used by people of all situations. It was tough making the space work, but we did it and it works.
          Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 01-29-2021, 08:47 AM.
          "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• There have been co-ed dorms and floors for a while. Parents are assured of stalls with doors and showers with curtains.

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
              She’s the a woman Secretary of the Treasury. Nothing else matters. Follow along.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
                It's a millions times fabricated. Because instead of finding issue with the system that doesn't know how to handle transgender inmates, you believe that it's actually the fault of transgender people. Somehow them wanting people to give them common decency is actually bad, and therefore it's too much to ask of people to address them how they want to be addressed.

I had a kid in my grade 10 science class who an asshole who happened to be gay, does that mean I should now discriminate against gay people? I mean comeeeee on.

Bad people will be bad people no matter their gender/race/nationality/sexuality whatever.
                Thats unfair accusation there, bud. You obviously misread what I said to just simply argue whats not there for the sake of a "gotcha" moment. The very last sentence was my point. "They (the system) still does not know how to handle this." Hence, there might be a little outrage. Its a juvenile prison. We had parents not happy about their son being housed with a female... we had parents upset and show outrage their "daughter" was housed in an all male pod. I never injected myself in this at all. I am not saying there should be "outrage" in every situation but to say I understand some "outrage" in certain situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post
                  Thats unfair accusation there, bud. You obviously misread what I said to just simply argue whats not there for the sake of a "gotcha" moment. The very last sentence was my point. "They (the system) still does not know how to handle this." Hence, there might be a little outrage. Its a juvenile prison. We had parents not happy about their son being housed with a female... we had parents upset and show outrage their "daughter" was housed in an all male pod. I never injected myself in this at all. I am not saying there should be "outrage" in every situation but to say I understand some "outrage" in certain situations.
                  When your contribution consists of a straw man to say "Well, actually..." a post where I responded to someone saying it's too much work to use someone's preferred pronouns, you dig your own grave then, pal.

Comment

When your contribution consists of a straw man to say "Well, actually..." a post where I responded to someone saying it's too much work to use someone's preferred pronouns, you dig your own grave then, pal.
                    Well actually there is real outrage and I can understand that outrage on the states side, the inmates side and the parents on both sides side. You just sound like a person that cannot take an argument contrary to your own. When you inroduce a person into a pod it changes the whole dynamic... when you introduce someone and you HAVE TO call them and label them a different sex than everyone else in the pod it creates a whole host of other different dynamic which could include the safety and security of people on that unit/pod... so yeah I would argue there would be some sort of consternation in this scenario.

I am just simply saying time and place. If someone born with a penis wants to be called ma'am at my job, sure no problem. But just because its easy at one place does not make it universally easy in all scenarios... is the point I am trying to make.

Comment

Should we house biological males who identify as women in men's or women's prisons?
                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Should we house biological males who identify as women in men's or women's prisons?
                        No idea, I don't know how that's solved.

This is entirely different than the genesis of the conversation was that Drayer finds it too much work to use someone's preferred pronouns. The prison conversations distracts from the main point that some find it too much work to even think of using someone's preferred pronouns.

Comment

No idea, I don't know how that's solved.

This is entirely different than the genesis of the conversation was that Drayer finds it too much work to use someone's preferred pronouns. The prison conversations distracts from the main point that some find it too much work to even think of using someone's preferred pronouns.
                          Again. Just simply ADDING to the conversation on a public forum that in some instances it can be hard to use a different pronoun. In some cases the "outrage" might be valid.

Comment

Again. Just simply ADDING to the conversation on a public forum that in some instances it can be hard to use a different pronoun. In some cases the "outrage" might be valid.
                            Cool, so I'm glad that you agree 99.99% of the time it's not a big deal to use someone's preferred pronouns.

Comment

Cool, so I'm glad that you agree 99.99% of the time it's not a big deal to use someone's preferred pronouns.
                              Those are your words. I was just simply giving a real life first person example. You can take that how you want, and apparently making your own stats and saying they are my stats is "how you want."

Comment

Those are your words. I was just simply giving a real life first person example. You can take that how you want, and apparently making your own stats and saying they are my stats is "how you want."
                                Ya 99.99% is likely a tad low, something like 99.9999% is likely closer to the truth.

Comment

Ya 99.99% is likely a tad low, something like 99.9999% is likely closer to the truth.
                                  Lets bump it to 99.9999999% just so you can feel better about it. I would hate to cause you any more distress by disagreeing with you.

Comment

• Late to this party but I'll just add - "they" is stupid AF unless your have a multiple personality disorder. If you dress like a dude, you don't get to be upset when someone calls your sir. If you dress like a chick, you don't get to be upset if someone calls you ma'am. Gendered bathrooms are kind of dumb IMO - stay in your stall and mind your own business. Some gay dude looking at me using a urinal is a lot more disturbing than some girl deucing in a stall next to me peeing. Public restrooms are gross anyway - take care of that stuff at home when at all possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                      [MEME]
                                      Janet Yellen is good at finance. She's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know on the topic. Maybe more than I could learn on Reddit.

My reference was to the following delightful comments and reflex to identity politics:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ars-inquiry-w/

White House press secretary Jen Psaki responded to a question about volatile stock market trading and fears of a bubble by reminding reporters: “We have the first female Treasury secretary.”

The gender-inspired non-sequitur came after she was asked about a massive spike in trading for GameStop (GME, +121.31%), AMC Entertainment Holdings (AMC, +236.27%) and others.

“Is the White House concerned about the stock market activity we’re seeing around GameStop and now some other stocks as well?” a reporter asked. “Have there been any conversations with the SEC about how to proceed?”

“Well, I’m also happy to repeat that we have the first female Treasury secretary and a team that’s surrounding her and often questions about markets,” Ms. Psaki replied. “We’ll send [you] to them. But our team is, of course, our economic team, including Secretary [Janet] Yellen and others, are monitoring the situation.”

Comment

• I really would like to see a President do the following.

1. Get elected.
                                        2. Have a skeleton crew for a white house press staff or whatever they are called.
                                        3. Make very few public appearances. Make fewer statements. And let the press burn themselves out.

I'm sure the press would be pissed off, and the networks would talk a lot of shit, but the story would be about them rather than the President and I think their viewership/readership would probably tune out eventually.
                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I really would like to see a President do the following.

1. Get elected.
                                          2. Have a skeleton crew for a white house press staff or whatever they are called.
                                          3. Make very few public appearances. Make fewer statements. And let the press burn themselves out.

I'm sure the press would be pissed off, and the networks would talk a lot of shit, but the story would be about them rather than the President and I think their viewership/readership would probably tune out eventually.
                                          Why stop at President? I find it annoying when I see Senators or any elected official being interviewed by any MSM outlet.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
                                            The bigger issue is that you are not good about using facts in general, yet you are so cocksure you are right that you come off as ridiculous. And that is at the heart of my reactions to most of your posts.
                                            People can disagree with opinions all day every day. I'm not the smartest guy in every room (that's Buster/ Bilbo/ whatever his identity is today), but I'm smart enough to form opinions based on facts and I don't make stuff up.

Would love to know which facts you think I got wrong here.

Under Trump pre covid we saw:

record breaking unemployment
                                            record breaking unemployment for women and minorities
                                            highest wage increases in ten years
                                            manufacturing made a comeback
                                            record breaking stock market numbers
                                            more jobs open than people able to fill them
                                            The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                                              The reality is you've retreated and are now resorting to picking one year of a President's term as the proof of some sort of economic genius by Trump and then requesting that one not add complex or overthink it. Lolol are you a producer for Mark Levin or some crap?
                                              Not retreating at all, and happy to compare Obama's eight years versus Trump's years anytime. I compared Obama's first economic policy actions versus Trump's because they were polar opposite and we saw drastically different results lol

Comment

• Biden admin didn’t take long to have a legit ethics issue.
                                                She must have seen how the previous Dem VP family lived it up.
                                                https://www.politico.com/newsletters...problem-491577

She has her own clothing line, Phenomenal, that celebrities such as JANE FONDA and SOFÍA VERGARA have helped her promote. After the November election, she co-founded her own production company. She’s a paid speaker represented by Creative Artists Agency. She’s a Stanford and Harvard Law graduate.

But some on the Biden campaign and now the Biden White House think Meena is, well, too ambitious — at least when it comes to leveraging her relationship with her aunt, Vice President KAMALA HARRIS.

After President JOE BIDEN’s relatives appeared to profit off of his status as senator and vice president, the Biden White House is trying to avoid any repeats by establishing firm ethical standards for family members.

"It's the White House's policy that the president's name should not be used in connection with any commercial activities to suggest or in any way, in any way they could reasonably be understood to imply his endorsement or support," Press Secretary JEN PSAKI said Friday.

These standards apply to the vice president, too.

“The Vice President and her family will uphold the highest ethical standards and it’s the White House’s policy that the Vice President's name should not be used in connection with any commercial activities that could reasonably be understood to imply an endorsement or support,” SABRINA SINGH, a spokesperson for the vice president, said in a statement.

But the policy has been trickier to enforce with Meena than some other family members, given how much Kamala’s image is intertwined with her business projects.

After Biden was officially declared the winner last November, transition ethics lawyers informed Meena that she could sell the rest of her Kamala-themed apparel but could not restock the items. Phenomenal’s “Kamala Harris Swimsuit,” “phenomenal Kamala Tank,” and “Kamala T-shirt,” that appeared on the site last fall are no longer sold.

“Kamala and Maya’s Big Idea,” which was published in June 2020 before Biden picked Kamala as vice president, poses further ethical knots. White House officials say that Meena would be prohibited from publishing that book now because it uses Kamala’s name in the title and her likeness on the cover, which is a drawing of a younger Kamala with MAYA HARRIS, Meena’s mother.

The book doesn’t violate the White House’s policies because she published it before Kamala became vice president, they say. It’s not clear if Meena continuing to accept royalties on the book is permitted, however. Asked if she is still accepting royalties, Meena did not comment.

In a statement, she said that “throughout the primary campaign, general election, and thus far in the administration, I have gone above and beyond to uphold legal and ethical standards.”

As Meena tries to follow the letter of the law, some Biden officials have long been worried about her following the spirit of the rules.

Last August, after Biden picked Kamala, Meena pushed the Biden team to sell a shirt in the campaign store that she designed with fellow influencer CLEO WADE. The shirt was emblazoned, “THE FIRST BUT NOT THE LAST,” alongside a picture of a young Kamala.

The Biden campaign acquiesced, but not for long. By Sept. 6, his team had scrubbed Meena’s name off of the campaign shirt, according to Internet Archive screenshots.

“For appearance sake, Meena’s name was removed because we didn’t want to make it seem or appear that she would be benefiting or profiting from the campaign,” a White House official told Transition Playbook. They said neither Meena nor Wade made any money from the shirt.

Since the election, Meena has continued to stoke anxiety in Bidenworld. When she traveled to the inauguration, she flew on a private plane and posted about the trip on her Instagram stories, the hawk-eyed TYLER PAGER noticed.

The White House acknowledged that Meena flew on a plane owned by a donor to Biden’s inaugural committee. The Biden team declined to say who the plane belonged to.

Meena’s latest venture — Phenomenal Productions — is raising more questions.

Meena announced she was starting the production company with BRAD JENKINS, a former Obama White House staffer, weeks after the election. One of her first projects was a two-minute video featuring clips of her aunt, which debuted the day before Inauguration Day.

“We celebrate Kamala Harris, the first woman and first Black American and Asian American to serve as vice president of the United States of America,” the video’s narrator says.

Meena’s company produced the video with the Supermajority Education Fund, a nonprofit devoted to women’s leadership. (An allied super PAC, Supermajority, spent more than $1 million running ads backing Biden and opposing President DONALD TRUMP last year; most of its funding came from a super PAC started by GEORGE SOROS). On YouTube, the ad lists Meena as a producer.

The White House said it did not know if Meena was paid for the ad, or whether her company volunteered its time. If the former, it might violate White House policy. Asked if she was paid by Supermajority, Meena didn’t respond.

Comment

People can disagree with opinions all day every day. I'm not the smartest guy in every room (that's Buster/ Bilbo/ whatever his identity is today), but I'm smart enough to form opinions based on facts and I don't make stuff up.

Would love to know which facts you think I got wrong here.

Under Trump pre covid we saw:

record breaking unemployment
                                                  highest wage increases in ten years
                                                  manufacturing made a comeback
                                                  record breaking stock market numbers
                                                  more jobs open than people able to fill them
                                                  Here's a fact: economists of every stripe do not think Presidents have huge impacts on the economy, and certainly not in the short term.

"record breaking unemployment
                                                  highest wage increases in ten years"

Here's a fact: Under the Obama administration we had the largest drop in unemployment of any president since FDR. DO YOU THINK THAT MIGHT HAVE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? LOLOL

"highest wage increases in ten years"

...which happens when you get to the end of the economic cycle durrrrrrrrrr

(And yet, under Obama the US saw better real wage growth than Bush, Bush, or Reagan.)

"record breaking stock market numbers"

So did Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter..................

"more jobs open than people able to fill them"

.....which has been true every year we're not in a recession.

And I'm not even taking the position that Obama is an economic savior. But Trump isn't either. Maybe you should stick to just comparing 2010 and 2017 and repeating talking points like a broken record.

Comment

Biden admin didn’t take long to have a legit ethics issue.
                                                    She must have seen how the previous Dem VP family lived it up.
                                                    https://www.politico.com/newsletters...problem-491577
                                                    OH. MY. GOD.

Comment

Not retreating at all, and happy to compare Obama's eight years versus Trump's years anytime. I compared Obama's first economic policy actions versus Trump's because they were polar opposite and we saw drastically different results lol
                                                      Is this serious man?

Both Trump and Obama cut taxes massively. Both Trump and Obama had government stimulus...the difference there is that Obama had a standalone stimulus bill whereas the Trump budget just exploded the size of federal government and put it all on deficit spending. It's. the. same. thing.

And the economy went up each time. As it does every time. Under every president. Under. Every. President.

The obvious polar opposite is the hypocrisy of so-called conservatives like yourself who seemed to forget that they once complained about budget deficits, trade deficits, labor force participation rates, etc etc etc etc...but from 2017-2020 those things vanished.

See if I had my fiscal conservative hat on I'd be wondering why a group of people who were wealthier than they'd ever been, and we're getting ever wealthier at the fastest rate in recorded history...needed a trillion-dollar tax break. And why are we doing that without a cent in budget reduction to offset the deficit?

Oh the answer is "doesn't matter economy go brrrrrrrrr"?

Comment

OH. MY. GOD.
                                                        I know!

The Biden gang won’t be outdone though. Everyone gets a cut.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/bide...-law-firm.html

Comment

Here's a fact: economists of every stripe do not think Presidents have huge impacts on the economy, and certainly not in the short term.

"record breaking unemployment
                                                          highest wage increases in ten years"

Here's a fact: Under the Obama administration we had the largest drop in unemployment of any president since FDR. DO YOU THINK THAT MIGHT HAVE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? LOLOL

"highest wage increases in ten years"

...which happens when you get to the end of the economic cycle durrrrrrrrrr

(And yet, under Obama the US saw better real wage growth than Bush, Bush, or Reagan.)

"record breaking stock market numbers"

So did Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter..................

"more jobs open than people able to fill them"

.....which has been true every year we're not in a recession.

And I'm not even taking the position that Obama is an economic savior. But Trump isn't either. Maybe you should stick to just comparing 2010 and 2017 and repeating talking points like a broken record.
                                                          When Obama took office, unemployment was at 9% so you would hope to God it went down drastically after that.

You've been the broken record for 3 days dude. All we've gotten from you is that all of this would've happened regardless of who was president and what policies were put in place.

Comment

Is this serious man?

Both Trump and Obama cut taxes massively. Both Trump and Obama had government stimulus...the difference there is that Obama had a standalone stimulus bill whereas the Trump budget just exploded the size of federal government and put it all on deficit spending. It's. the. same. thing.

And the economy went up each time. As it does every time. Under every president. Under. Every. President.

The obvious polar opposite is the hypocrisy of so-called conservatives like yourself who seemed to forget that they once complained about budget deficits, trade deficits, labor force participation rates, etc etc etc etc...but from 2017-2020 those things vanished.

See if I had my fiscal conservative hat on I'd be wondering why a group of people who were wealthier than they'd ever been, and we're getting ever wealthier at the fastest rate in recorded history...needed a trillion-dollar tax break. And why are we doing that without a cent in budget reduction to offset the deficit?

Obama got to DC and passed the $787 billion stimulus that did jack $hit other than drive us further into debt. Trump lowered taxes and removed some regulations, and not happy about what he did to the debt/ deficit either.

See what I did there? I can give the guy credit for some things and point out his shortcomings in the same post.

Or we could just end the discussion, wave our hands, and say, "our economy is basically the same under every president brrrrrrr."

Comment

Is this serious man?

Economic policies by president’s absolutely influence economics. Terrible lending that led to the economic crash in 08 under the GW administration is a great example. Both Dems and Reps got reckless, ignored warning signs, and leveled the economy. Trade agreements like NAFTA that send manufacturing jobs to Mexico and Indonesia decades ago were disastrous for middle America. Both party’s borrowing and borrowing their way to sell empty promises are going to be hugely problematic at some point in the next 50 years.

If Biden went full left and adopted AOCs Green New Deal...that would smash the economy. Historically both Dems and Republican presidents played within the same parameters of cuts//spending, so yeah the effects were null and slow developing but the last 20 years or so, both party’s have borrowed like trust fund baby’s with blank checks. Spending needs to be reigned in, federal budget needs to be trimmed, and, what’s scares me the most, is not the Biden’s of the world, but the progressive wing of the government expanding and maturing in the next 10 years to the point they’re taking over and directing policy. They seem to embrace the MMT monetary theory that not 6/7 years ago was fringe/crazy.

Comment

• Speaking of economy and getting "greener". I get in NM we are not TX when it comes to oil but the oil industry makes up 10% of our overall employment. A lot that revenue is also directed straight to fund our 50th ranked educational system. One executive order will essentially create ghost towns here in NM.

Comment

Speaking of economy and getting "greener". I get in NM we are not TX when it comes to oil but the oil industry makes up 10% of our overall employment. A lot that revenue is also directed straight to fund our 50th ranked educational system. One executive order will essentially create ghost towns here in NM.
                                                                  New Mexico Passes 100% Clean Energy Bill March 13, 2019

New Mexico's legislature passed the Energy Transition Act this week and because it is supported by the state's Governor, it’s expected to become law. This law will put the state on course to lead the nation in renewable energy.

The bill will double renewable energy use in the state by 2025, require 50% renewable energy by 2030 and 100 percent carbon free electricity generation by 2045. This means New Mexico can quickly transition from dependence on fossil fuels for electricity to joining other states to lead a new clean energy economy. Our recent analysis also shows that it would spur immediate economic benefits and job growth as well as pollution reduction and health benefits. (cont)
                                                                  The leading utility in NM is PNM, which committed to alternative energy goals of 44% in 2019, though it looks like they have fallen short. PNM is now getting 32% of its energy from renewable sources.
                                                                  PNM's goal is 86% in 2032 and 100% in 2040.

At $52 a barrel, there probably is not a lot of production now in NM and companies have pulled out due to the economics? I imagine the state will have to contend with less revenue though like most oil-producing states.
                                                                  Last edited by Legacy; 01-30-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Speaking of economy and getting "greener". I get in NM we are not TX when it comes to oil but the oil industry makes up 10% of our overall employment. A lot that revenue is also directed straight to fund our 50th ranked educational system. One executive order will essentially create ghost towns here in NM.
                                                                    Oil makes up a large chunk of our work up here. Some percentage of the taxes collected from oil industry goes straight into some sort of state endowment fund.
                                                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Oil makes up a large chunk of our work up here. Some percentage of the taxes collected from oil industry goes straight into some sort of state endowment fund.
                                                                      One of the reasons we have held onto the land we own up there is oil.

Comment

One of the reasons we have held onto the land we own up there is oil.
                                                                        You guys got mineral rights still?

Lot of folks sold them off during ag crisis in the 80's and even earlier as well. Not sure the oil goes that far east either but you never know what they'll find.
                                                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post

The leading utility in NM is PNM, which committed to alternative energy goals of 44% in 2019, though it looks like they have fallen short. PNM is now getting 32% of its energy from renewable sources.

At $52 a barrel, there probably is not a lot of production now in NM and companies have pulled out due to the economics? I imagine the state will have to contend with less revenue though like most oil-producing states.
                                                                          2020 was the 2nd highest oil revenue number ever. As one of the poorest state in the nation its not something it can absorb like what a Texas or even a North Dakota can. I am all for clean energy but its going to be a big hit to the economy. In the mean time there is still a dependence on oil PNM cannot just takeover.

Comment

• For our last budget (19-21), the state projected getting about $5 billion from oil if the price averaged $48/barrel.

Those companies are pretty smart i think about knowing when to drill, not drill, etc. Some of my engineer friends working for them have said they've gotten the breakeven price way down as well.
                                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Just pointing out that the switch to alternative energy sources was due to an Act from 2019, which assisted PNM to supplement their commitment to alternative energy. They also seem to be ending their coal powered plants, though I imagine that is a small part of NM's energy sources that alternative energy would replace.

It appears NM has restored solar power tax credits to homeowners and businesses. The legislature has bills to expand infrastructure for renewable energy by making transmission line projects eligible for Industrial Revenue Bonds available through cities and municipalities. PNM benefits from the support to modernizing the electrical grid.

https://www.governor.state.nm.us/202...in-new-mexico/

To me it makes sense for homeowners and businesses to benefit from power with alternative energy as well as the jobs that will result. They can sell excess power to PNM. Lots of sunny days in NM. You do see a lot of wind farms in western Texas that benefit the farmers and ranchers there.

Comment

You guys got mineral rights still?

Lot of folks sold them off during ag crisis in the 80's and even earlier as well. Not sure the oil goes that far east either but you never know what they'll find.
                                                                                The biggest reason we still have the land is that the rent is good and we also get a decent tax deduction for land the government gives us for not touching. My wife keeps mentioning oil when talking about the land so maybe, I am not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post

New Mexico would be crazy not to roll out the red carpet for solar:

Comment

I know!

The Biden gang won’t be outdone though. Everyone gets a cut.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/bide...-law-firm.html
                                                                                    What's next, Biden is going to make them part of the administration? Or is that just a Trump thing?

Comment

Obama got to DC and passed the $787 billion stimulus that did jack $hit other than drive us further into debt.
                                                                                      Just because you have that opinion doesn't make it true.

The most-cite think tank in America disagrees with you:

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...the-recession/

Not even getting into the weeds on how much it benefited or didn't benefit the economy, the idea that the money wasn't injected into the middle class for some measure of economic relief is absurd. To say it did "jack shit" (you can fucking curse here man, it's the internet) is an AM radio take.

Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                                                      Trump lowered taxes and removed some regulations, and not happy about what he did to the debt/ deficit either.
                                                                                      ....a year into office, after the economy was already roaring. Pretty much proving that the tax cuts didn't usher in some Trumpian economic utopia.

See what I did there? I can give the guy credit for some things and point out his shortcomings in the same post.
                                                                                      Great next maybe you'll stop worshiping him.

Or we could just end the discussion, wave our hands, and say, "our economy is basically the same under every president brrrrrrr."
                                                                                      I think it's more likely that you pretend Republicans have some sort of monopoly on productive economic policy while continuing to ignore that every single Democratic President has also seen the US economy be stronger than ever.

Comment

Not even getting into the weeds on how much it benefited or didn't benefit the economy, the idea that the money wasn't injected into the middle class for some measure of economic relief is absurd. To say it did "jack shit" (you can fucking curse here man, it's the internet) is an AM radio take.

....a year into office, after the economy was already roaring. Pretty much proving that the tax cuts didn't usher in some Trumpian economic utopia.

I think it's more likely that you pretend Republicans have some sort of monopoly on productive economic policy while continuing to ignore that every single Democratic President has also seen the US economy be stronger than ever.
                                                                                        Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by tommyIRISH23 View Post
                                                                                          Jimmy Carter
                                                                                          Even Jimmy Carter saw a record GDP. Of course with inflation all things are possible lol ...but I might ask, how is that different than asset inflation as an indirect side-effect of Fed policy today?

He also installed the Fed board members credited with getting monetary policy back on course in the early 1980s.

IMO the guy after him compares similarly to Obama. Reagan and Obama both had pretty bumpy first terms and the economy finally hit its stride in their second terms.

Comment

That whole "your opinion doesn't make it true" is a two way street, bud. I don't give a damn what a think tank says because the numbers don't lie. $787 BILLION for "good paying jobs" and money that went directly to "cities and states" to "help the average American worker" and unemployment subsequently went up, not down. We'll have to agree to disagree that government doesn't create jobs.

Q1 GDP in 2017 was at 1.8%,, not exactly a number most would relate to a roaring economy. And by Q2 of 2018 jumped to 4.2%.

I didn't use the word utopia, but things were really damn good economically in this country pre covid. I've said plenty of times I wouldn't want to have beers with Trump, but I'd take most of his policies any day.

The mental gymnastics you're participating in to try and dismiss those policies are either related to your hated of Trump or your strong desire to debate. Cheers.

Comment

New Mexico would be crazy not to roll out the red carpet for solar:

I agree. Except people have to be able to afford it to get any sort of tax breaks or even discounts. NM is poor. We have solar at our home and even at our family farm. But in terms of economy and leadership making decisions that impact the economy this will hurt more in the short term for NM. Poor people dont look at the 5 year and beyond benefit. They are paycheck to paycheck or first of the month to first of the month.

As far as the state adopting cleaner energy as a whole, that costs money as well. Money we rarely have for anything and money we are losing because of the disruption in oil.

Comment

I agree. Except people have to be able to afford it to get any sort of tax breaks or even discounts. NM is poor. We have solar at our home and even at our family farm. But in terms of economy and leadership making decisions that impact the economy this will hurt more in the short term for NM. Poor people dont look at the 5 year and beyond benefit. They are paycheck to paycheck or first of the month to first of the month.

As far as the state adopting cleaner energy as a whole, that costs money as well. Money we rarely have for anything and money we are losing because of the disruption in oil.
                                                                                                You're saying working class folks can't simply up and move to some other place and just start building solar panels at companies that donate to Democrats? Coal plant operations doesn't qualify you code?
                                                                                                Yeah, the new regime doesn't care about these people because they are getting in the way of their picked winners in the Climate Justice plan.

Comment

• With all due respect, the oil and gas jobs arguments have been used for years to justify anything from restrictions to drilling on federal lands and coal-fired plants. Times have to change which the legislature acknowledged in 2019 and PNM has instituted. Alternative energy will generate jobs. Their coal-fired plants are being retrofitted replacing the plant with a mix of new natural gas-fired generating stations and solar and battery storage system generating jobs in NW NM. Trump's Deputy Secretary of Energy visited the area and commented on the project.
                                                                                                  Officials: Carbon capture project would be largest in world
                                                                                                  (AP, October 5, 2020)

Oil and gas leave the state and companies are responsible for reporting the amounts drilled for taxes, which are notorious for underreporting.

The concerns about less oil and gas production in the fields of southern NM and the impact on state revenue are valid. But these aren't going away there in any substantial amount soon, though that depends on demand not only nationally but internationally since it is piped to facilities in Texas for processing. Travel through oil producing areas and you will notice the changes in air quality. The water also tastes different.

The methane venting that has gone on at these places is being addressed by the legislature.
                                                                                                  Draft rules would cut methane venting, flaring in New Mexico 98% in six years
                                                                                                  Last edited by Legacy; 02-01-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Coal is dead and isnt coming back. Trump lied about this and unfortunately many people bought into it.

Oil production should be ramping down becasue it is becoming cost prohibitive and environmental cleanup of former sites is also very expensive.

Natural gas and fracking production has been given every benefit possible and is still only marginally more cost effective that wind and solar right now.

Solar and wind have little to no environmental impact or future cleanup once the structures are in place however production of solar panels does lead to large quantities of heavy metal wastes that must be managed. Their treatment is similar to the wastes produced by computer component producers so there is already infrastructure (lined landfills) and legal vehicles in place.

Wind turbines and structure are primarily steel and concrete just like any other normal structure.

Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 02-01-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• With regards to energy production and energy independence I cant help but view it through a "cradle to grave" lens. If we want to be independent, the US must improve energy creation from the beginning to the end and create this energy with as little impact to the environment as possible. Smart investments in the front end will lead to long term sustainability and good waste management. This much has been clear once cleanups of coal and nuclear plants has begun. Its of utmost importance to not stick the public with these cleanup costs and loss of usable land becasue a private energy company got lazy and irresponsible. Any assessment of any energy production must consider how its produced and how it gets to its users in totality.

By doing this we can show our independence and also lead the world in revamping their oil based energy production. I do think a net zero carbon plan is possible.

Some communities may be harmed by this like in West Virginia. Unfortunately it will happen. WE need to assist in retooling these communities as well. Bootstraps wont do it alone. They will need financial assistance and retraining.

ETA: Luckily Life-Cycle Analyses (LCA's) while a new methodology, is becoming a useful tool in moving cradle to grave processes forward for all types of manufacturing and production sectors.

ETA2:
                                                                                                      I know there will be an incoming statement by someone about China and India not doing their part so why bother. Well China is shifting to a green energy and green economy after ramping up their damage to a tipping point will be committing to green energy production rapidly.

India is moving much slower but does acknowledge their problems and is signaling an attempt to improve.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 02-01-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X