Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

This right here is why I pulled back from these threads. "Wahhhh your source is biased because Liberal media! I won't post any studies or data because logic, but believe me!!!" L-oh-L

Twitter posting internal data when they don't have to, isn't nothing. Tech giants have way too much power in the world and need to be taken down a peg, but it isn't because toll booth workers can't access QAnon articles.
    Give me a break, Toronto. Using a Twitter study of itself to claim Twitter isn't biased left is ridiculous. Any such self-investigation is all but worthless. Why don't we just take the Taliban's investigation into their own human rights abuses at face value while we're at it? You're dodging the point of my OP anyway, which is that big tech and the social media giants are blatantly trying to silence dissenting views and any opinions, even if they are unequivocally true, that don't toe the party line. Look around the world today or any time in the past century and show me where that has worked out well or been a good thing. Thought & speech policing go against everything a free society stands for. That they may be silencing opinions and facts that aren't good for your side doesn't change the fact that it's a bad thing. When and if the shoe is on the other foot, don't complain if you didn't stand up and speak out against it when it was happening to others.
    Last edited by Bishop2b5; 10-25-2021, 12:11 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• It's the Guardian accusing Twitter of being a safe haven for conservatives? The only way I would have laughed more is if it came from WaPo.

Comment

• Confused as to whether Twitter is Media or Culture or both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

Give me a break, Toronto. Using a Twitter study of itself to claim Twitter isn't biased left is ridiculous. Any such self-investigation is all but worthless. Why don't we just take the Taliban's investigation into their own human rights abuses at face value while we're at it? You're dodging the point of my OP anyway, which is that big tech and the social media giants are blatantly trying to silence dissenting views and any opinions, even if they are unequivocally true, that don't toe the party line. Look around the world today or any time in the past century and show me where that has worked out well or been a good thing. Thought & speech policing go against everything a free society stands for. That they may be silencing opinions and facts that aren't good for your side doesn't change the fact that it's a bad thing. When and if the shoe is on the other foot, don't complain if you didn't stand up and speak out against it when it was happening to others.
          It's not the best by any stretch, but it's better than nothing.

You understand how terms of service work, right? Making bigoted comments typically lead to a banning on most sites. If I constantly made brutal comments about specific users and their avatars I would be banned as it's against the common decency of this website. I wouldn't be losing my freedom of speech.

You can save the history lessons for the other poster who likes to do them, except they like just using one line for every thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
            It's the Guardian accusing Twitter of being a safe haven for conservatives? The only way I would have laughed more is if it came from WaPo.
            Twitter is ~69% Democrat according to Pew. Looks correct to me as a daily user. Twitter has a strong blue bias and IIRC was the first to censor the Hunter Biden laptop story, which we all now know was real. They claimed it was hacked information and that wasn't allowed on the platform unless of course, it comes from The Atlantic or Lincoln Project, then it is fair game.
            Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

It's not the best by any stretch, but it's better than nothing.

You understand how terms of service work, right? Making bigoted comments typically lead to a banning on most sites. If I constantly made brutal comments about specific users and their avatars I would be banned as it's against the common decency of this website. I wouldn't be losing my freedom of speech.

You can save the history lessons for the other poster who likes to do them, except they like just using one line for every thought.
              What makes me shake my head about America is the conflation of private action and any freedom, particularly freedom of speech.

A private company like Twitter, to use redcuctio ad absurdum, could ban all left handled people.

That would be dumb and inflammatory, but legal.

I don't get the scorekeeping.

I would expect National Review's subscriber list to be overwhelming conservatived Republican in the goldwater/Will/David Brooks sense

I would expect New Republic's subscriber list to be overwhelmingly progressive Democratic in the Kennedy/Johnson/ sense

I would expect Breitbart to be heavily conservative in the Bannon/Green/Brooks sense

I would expect Daily Kos to be heavily ultraliberal in the Ro Khanna/.AOC sense.

At the end of the day, what is wrong with any of this?

Comment

This right here is why I pulled back from these threads. "Wahhhh your source is biased because Liberal media! I won't post any studies or data because logic, but believe me!!!" L-oh-L

Twitter posting internal data when they don't have to, isn't nothing. Tech giants have way too much power in the world and need to be taken down a peg, but it isn't because toll booth workers can't access QAnon articles.
                Damn and all this time I thought is was because Uncle Joe has been tripping over himself since about 30 days after taking office. Sorry, but couldn't resist.

Comment

• Caviezel, Braveheart, Q'Anon

(I assume that this correctly a Culture issue, as it is not affiliated with any political party or candidate. If that choice is incorrect, please advise)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1945653.html

The Passion of the Christ actor Jim Caviezel delivered a bizarre speech to a QAnon conference, repeating word-for-word Mel Gibson’s famous battle cry from Braveheart.

Mr Caviezel was speaking at the For God & Country: Patriot Double Down convention held in Las Vegas, where he claimed there was an ongoing religious war between Satan and liberal values.

He mimicked the fiery speech given by Mr Gibson’s character William Wallace before a battle with the English in his 1995 film Braveheart, including the famous line “you can take our lives, but you can never take our freedom”.

Pause
                  Next video
                  0:12
                  Full-screen

The 53-year-old went on share familiar QAnon themes about child sex trafficking and religion.

“We must fight for that authentic freedom and live my friends. By God, we must live and with the Holy Spirit as your shield and Christ as your sword may you join Saint Michael and all the other angels in defending God and sending Lucifer and his henchmen straight back to hell where they belong,” he told the audience.
                  Recommended
                  • Apparently the "Storm" is coming. anyone know when? I'd like to outfit the family with galoshes.

Comment

• K mart closing its last store in Michigan.

Some, probably few, remember that there were Kresge's stores all over America, along with Woolworth.

Kresge's was thought to be genius by going to the next evolutionary step with Kmart

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...te/5888568001/

"attention Kmart shoppers" will now require a google search.

Malls are dead, but for the few ghost malls with empty storefronts.

But these things and the Amazonization have consequences. For with them go the mall builders, the debartolos of the world and all the plumbers, electricians and carpenters who did remodels as tenants left and were replaced.

These changes are inevitable but adaptation to those changes cannot be solved in a toxic, binary environment in which everyting is labeled conservative/liberal/democratic republican.

They are American changes
                    That require American solutions
                    To promote American adaptation.

Fix the problem, not the blame

Comment

• Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post
                      K mart closing its last store in Michigan.

Some, probably few, remember that there were Kresge's stores all over America, along with Woolworth.

Kresge's was thought to be genius by going to the next evolutionary step with Kmart

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...te/5888568001/

"attention Kmart shoppers" will now require a google search.

Malls are dead, but for the few ghost malls with empty storefronts.

But these things and the Amazonization have consequences. For with them go the mall builders, the debartolos of the world and all the plumbers, electricians and carpenters who did remodels as tenants left and were replaced.

These changes are inevitable but adaptation to those changes cannot be solved in a toxic, binary environment in which everyting is labeled conservative/liberal/democratic republican.

They are American changes
                      That require American solutions
                      To promote American adaptation.

Fix the problem, not the blame
                      We still got a couple malls in ND, but its a dying thing in general. I loved going to Kmart as a kid because it had a Little Caesars in it.
                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Worked at K-Mart for 3 years in high school and college from '98-'01. The writing was on the wall, tbh. Even back then the store wasn't a great place to shop anymore, it was losing big to Wal-Marts springing up everywhere and other chains like Target. K-Mart in the 80s was the shit before Wal-Mart really took over, but when the later went into our small town it definitely took over. It sprung up just around from the K-Mart and took a lot of the business.

Worse yet after the Wal-Mart had been in business for about a decade at one end of town, they packed up shop and moved across town to be closer to the highway exit. When they did it took a lot of other business with them, the other end became a ghost town with lots of empty buildings and a dead strip mall that used to be connected. Lots of stuff sprung up around the new location, but a lot of mom and pop businesses certainly suffered because of the move.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                          Worked at K-Mart for 3 years in high school and college from '98-'01. The writing was on the wall, tbh. Even back then the store wasn't a great place to shop anymore, it was losing big to Wal-Marts springing up everywhere and other chains like Target. K-Mart in the 80s was the shit before Wal-Mart really took over, but when the later went into our small town it definitely took over. It sprung up just around from the K-Mart and took a lot of the business.

Worse yet after the Wal-Mart had been in business for about a decade at one end of town, they packed up shop and moved across town to be closer to the highway exit. When they did it took a lot of other business with them, the other end became a ghost town with lots of empty buildings and a dead strip mall that used to be connected. Lots of stuff sprung up around the new location, but a lot of mom and pop businesses certainly suffered because of the move.
                          KMart failed to adapt. The Blue Light special was a novelty idea that wore off after a while.

Worked in the shoe department for KMart as a teen. Always found used pairs of shoes. Someone would come in, try on a new pair and walked out in them. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

KMart failed to adapt. The Blue Light special was a novelty idea that wore off after a while.

Worked in the shoe department for KMart as a teen. Always found used pairs of shoes. Someone would come in, try on a new pair and walked out in them. lol
                            I remember back around 2000 they actually brought the blue light specials back. They had an aisle where they installed the big, flashing eye sore. I think they were supposed to put clearance items or sales down there, but the novelty wore off again pretty quick.

I remember the Saturday morning they unveiled it there was a regional manager down at the store along with all the store managers, even the ones that weren't typically there Saturdays. They had a bunch of music playing, I'll never forget it. This 30 something regional manager was showing the 50-60 aged store managers how to do "the lawn mower." They were all dancing around the blue light flashing, with "Taking Care of Business" playing. It just felt so awkward and weird, and I had a feeling then that K-Mart wouldn't survive very much longer.

Comment

• "I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." G.K. Chesterton

"'Enough' is a feast. Buddhist proverb

Happy thanksgiving

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X