No announcement yet.

Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to wear pants because it defines me as a man. I don't want to wear a skirt because it defines me as a woman. WTF do you think you should wear since you don't want to be defined? And the ACLU is happy to file a lawsuit for this character.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/us/al...icy/index.html

Comment

• Trigger warnings for humor

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
        Trigger warnings for humor

"I find it offensive because I don't have a cousin". lol

Comment

• Is this real life? I thought we're supposed to trust the science/medical fields? Shouldn't we use the proper terminology?

Comment

Is this real life? I thought we're supposed to trust the science/medical fields? Shouldn't we use the proper terminology?
            You'll use vhatever terminology ve TELL you to use tis veek or ve'll Twittermurder you and zend you to ze camps!
            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• I, too, lookup vagina guides so that I can be upset online about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
                I, too, lookup vagina guides so that I can be upset online about it.
                Somebody posted it on Twitter actually, but by skirting the issue I can see you do not trust the science.

Comment

Somebody posted it on Twitter actually, but by skirting the issue I can see you do not trust the science.
                  So you follow people that lookup this kind of thing be mad about? What's the issue? Why are you upset? Nobody's stopping anyone from naming their vagina whatever they want.

Comment

So you follow people that lookup this kind of thing be mad about? What's the issue? Why are you upset? Nobody's stopping anyone from naming their vagina whatever they want.
                    "A follow does not equal endorsement." Isn't that what you guys always say? Did you just assume it came from a dissenting opinion, bro? It could have been posted by someone who wanted to inform others on how to be more inclusive.

Nobody is "mad" or "upset" about it, just more confused than anything. If we're supposed to trust the science, why aren't we referring to a female's genitals as a vagina which is the scientific term? A trans person is free to engage sexually however they see fit, but if they have a vagina it will always be a vagina unless it's altered via surgery. Should we also start referring to male genitalia as front tails?

Comment

"A follow does not equal endorsement." Isn't that what you guys always say? Did you just assume it came from a dissenting opinion, bro? It could have been posted by someone who wanted to inform others on how to be more inclusive.

Nobody is "mad" or "upset" about it, just more confused than anything. If we're supposed to trust the science, why aren't we referring to a female's genitals as a vagina which is the scientific term? A trans person is free to engage sexually however they see fit, but if they have a vagina it will always be a vagina unless it's altered via surgery. Should we also start referring to male genitalia as front tails?
                      "you guys" lolwut? Well, it would be out of the usual for you to post anything Left of Jeff Sessions so my guess is it was posted as a "lmaoooo look at these STUPID lefty snowflakes".

Confused? What is there to be confused about? The person writing the post decided they'd like to use language/terminology that I wouldn't personally use, but as someone who isn't looking for a vagina guide online I don't really see the point on analyzing it too much. I'm sorry your faith in science is obfuscated from a likely opinion piece guide on vaginas.

Comment

"you guys" lolwut? Well, it would be out of the usual for you to post anything Left of Jeff Sessions so my guess is it was posted as a "lmaoooo look at these STUPID lefty snowflakes".

Confused? What is there to be confused about? The person writing the post decided they'd like to use language/terminology that I wouldn't personally use, but as someone who isn't looking for a vagina guide online I don't really see the point on analyzing it too much. I'm sorry your faith in science is obfuscated from a likely opinion piece guide on vaginas.
                        I'm offended you would think I would follow anyone so crass! The difference between the truth and your perception is pretty far off actually. I can't even find the post anymore, but it was similar to the point I've already made...why are we doing this? For a political group that is constantly posing as the side of science, I find it fascinating that we're denying the scientific medical term for a genital definition.

Looking into it further it looks like this is old news, I guess it was an LGBTQIA Safer Sex Guide written a few years ago for the website and it was reviewed by a medical professional in the sex therapy field. So it's a bit more than an opinion piece, and it connects directly into related events in today's context. Recently the Biden administration suggested renaming "mom" as "birthing person" in maternal health guidelines. Celebrating Birthing Person Day just doesn't have a great ring to it. Where does it end, and what is the purpose? We've seen how this starts and we know how it ends. As someone with a severely autistic son I'm all for phasing out phrases or words people use for offensive means. We've seen the decrease in offensive words like "retard," "faggot," and "midget" in recent years as people gain a more empathetic understanding of others, and that's a good thing! However in the case of "front hole" we're deviating from the truth. Today it's a suggestion to be inclusive, tomorrow it's offensive to use the term vagina.

Comment

I'm offended you would think I would follow anyone so crass! The difference between the truth and your perception is pretty far off actually. I can't even find the post anymore, but it was similar to the point I've already made...why are we doing this? For a political group that is constantly posing as the side of science, I find it fascinating that we're denying the scientific medical term for a genital definition.

Looking into it further it looks like this is old news, I guess it was an LGBTQIA Safer Sex Guide written a few years ago for the website and it was reviewed by a medical professional in the sex therapy field. So it's a bit more than an opinion piece, and it connects directly into related events in today's context. Recently the Biden administration suggested renaming "mom" as "birthing person" in maternal health guidelines. Celebrating Birthing Person Day just doesn't have a great ring to it. Where does it end, and what is the purpose? We've seen how this starts and we know how it ends. As someone with a severely autistic son I'm all for phasing out phrases or words people use for offensive means. We've seen the decrease in offensive words like "retard," "faggot," and "midget" in recent years as people gain a more empathetic understanding of others, and that's a good thing! However in the case of "front hole" we're deviating from the truth. Today it's a suggestion to be inclusive, tomorrow it's offensive to use the term vagina.
                          If you think "ironic positions" are something only contained to the Left, then I've got a great coach in Michigan to sell you on. Further, literal medical terminology is still out there that refers to retardation/stunted/etc. but of course common decency allows someone to use judgement when someone would prefer not to be called by the textbook terminology. It's Westboro Baptist Church-esque to flame someone over this. I know (hope) you're not the type to do that but there are crazies out there that would.

At the end of the day, it's more about why should we care about some vagina guide from years ago? Does it matter? Is this something that would be a slippery slope? Where has there been a example of a slippery slope for human anatomy that has caused direct harm to you? You likely don't care enough about this either way

Society, and moreover 99% of progressives will not vilify you for calling a vagina what it is.

Comment

If you think "ironic positions" are something only contained to the Left, then I've got a great coach in Michigan to sell you on. Further, literal medical terminology is still out there that refers to retardation/stunted/etc. but of course common decency allows someone to use judgement when someone would prefer not to be called by the textbook terminology. It's Westboro Baptist Church-esque to flame someone over this. I know (hope) you're not the type to do that but there are crazies out there that would.

At the end of the day, it's more about why should we care about some vagina guide from years ago? Does it matter? Is this something that would be a slippery slope? Where has there been a example of a slippery slope for human anatomy that has caused direct harm to you? You likely don't care enough about this either way

Society, and moreover 99% of progressives will not vilify you for calling a vagina what it is.
                            No, of course I would never flame someone over this. Why think that? Again, I'm not in any way upset or angry. I'm typically the chillest person in the room, and I'm rather jaded about life in general. At this point I wouldn't not be surprised if a few years down the road it becomes non-PC to say vagina, that's all I'm trying to say. You look at what PC culture has changed in the last 10 years, you see programs and culture from that decade and it's quite different what you can and can't say today. Some of it is obviously very good, and some of it has gone completely overboard. I haven't seen much course correction yet, so I can only assume this will continue to be the norm in the foreseeable future.

Comment

The vast majority don't give a damn what someone wants to call themselves, including those that aren't "woke". They just don't want someone telling them what to call them. Just tell your circle of friends what you want to be referred to and don't publish it on SM for thousands of people to see. The odds of us meeting you are slim to none so we don't need to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

The vast majority don't give a damn what someone wants to call themselves, including those that aren't "woke". They just don't want someone telling them what to call them. Just tell your circle of friends what you want to be referred to and don't publish it on SM for thousands of people to see. The odds of us meeting you are slim to none so we don't need to know.
                                If someone is an author I think they're ok to include their pronouns. It's really quite sad, pathetic even, if someone is upset that another person writing a post would include their preferred pronouns. I guess outrage culture states the need to be upset at that.

Comment

If someone is an author I think they're ok to include their pronouns. It's really quite sad, pathetic even if someone is upset that another person writing a post would include their preferred pronouns. I guess outrage culture states the need to be upset at that.
                                  I was told that support of gay marriage was the end of the argument and there was no slippery slope. Now we have trannies teaching the pride flag on Nickelodeon, countless genders, and advocacy for trans youth. It doesn't stop and only gets weirder and expecting people to recognize weirdness is a joke. If it's obvious, fine, or on their book, whatever. But don't demand that I put he/him on my nametag at a conference (happened) and act like this should be standard.
                                  Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post

I was told that support of gay marriage was the end of the argument and there was no slippery slope. Now we have trannies teaching the pride flag on Nickelodeon, countless genders, and advocacy for trans youth. It doesn't stop and only gets weirder and expecting people to recognize weirdness is a joke. If it's obvious, fine, or on their book, whatever. But don't demand that I put he/him on my nametag at a conference (happened) and act like this should be standard.
                                    Must have HATED that one, eh?

June is pride month, they had someone on to speak about LGBTQ topics. You don't have to watch it if you don't want.

What happened after you filled that part out? Dick fall off? Turn gay? Seriously, you're SOOOOOOO hard pressed to take one *tiny* step to making someone feel welcome that it's this great injustice to you!

Comment

June is pride month, they had someone on to speak about LGBTQ topics. You don't have to watch it if you don't want.

What happened after you filled that part out? Dick fall off? Turn gay? Seriously, you're SOOOOOOO hard pressed to take one *tiny* step to making someone feel welcome that it's this great injustice to you!
                                      I've never been bothered by gay marriage. Equal under the eyes of the law is correct. Never bothered by gay friends. Have a few. You know what none of them do? Ask me for my pronouns and rant about T stuff.

I didn't do the pronoun thing. I just took my dirty look from the tolerant liberal woman and moved on. Making a bearded man who dresses like a Dillard's mannequin put him on his tag is stupid and what they are doing with "trans kids" is insanity. You're correct, no victims here!

Comment

I've never been bothered by gay marriage. Equal under the eyes of the law is correct. Never bothered by gay friends. Have a few. You know what none of them do? Ask me for my pronouns and rant about T stuff.

I didn't do the pronoun thing. I just took my dirty look from the tolerant liberal woman and moved on. Making a bearded man who dresses like a Dillard's mannequin put him on his tag is stupid and what they are doing with "trans kids" is insanity. You're correct, no victims here!
                                        When have you ever been victimized by a trans person? And, why does putting your pronouns on a name card hurt you so much? Do you feel a sense of manhood is lost?

There's plenty of things we do in our day to day lives that may seem useless but if it takes no time to do and may help someone feel better why not do it? If I'm in a rush and I see someone a couple paces behind me I'll hold the door for them because it's the polite thing to do.

Comment

Why ya gotta be such a front hole? If someone doesn't want to use pronouns they shouldn't have to. You can support LGBTQs in other ways, the pronoun practice shouldn't have to be mandatory. At a certain point it's just excessive and unnecessary. Being a bully and pushing others to add pronouns certainly isn't going to win over any allies to the cause. Maybe people could start wearing a rainbow pin or star to help identify who the real supporters are?

Comment

Why ya gotta be such a front hole? If someone doesn't want to use pronouns they shouldn't have to. You can support LGBTQs in other ways, the pronoun practice shouldn't have to be mandatory. At a certain point it's just excessive and unnecessary. Being a bully and pushing others to add pronouns certainly isn't going to win over any allies to the cause. Maybe people could start wearing a rainbow pin or star to help identify who the real supporters are?
                                            Why don't they though? Like how come it's such a big deal? I sincerely don't get it. It's like when someone asks to be called by their middle name....you just kinda do it. You really shouldn't have to win anyone over to have just common courtesy for someone who's clearly going through a lot, that's the sad part, that there's even a discussion on sides.

Comment

• You say it's supposed to be a common courtesy thing, and yet you clearly ARE making it a big deal and you're badgering someone about it. People don't like being bullied into practices, and I think most people are just more comfortable using the accepted pronoun for their given gender. Nobody is getting mad if someone else wants to use pronouns, more power to them, but when you bully others into the practice it gives off negative vibes.

Comment

You say it's supposed to be a common courtesy thing, and yet you clearly ARE making it a big deal and you're badgering someone about it. People don't like being bullied into practices, and I think most people are just more comfortable using the accepted pronoun for their given gender. Nobody is getting mad if someone else wants to use pronouns, more power to them, but when you bully others into the practice it gives off negative vibes.
                                                It is a common courtesy thing? I'm badgering because it is just so foreign to me that this is an issue that people have. A name card! Like ok, I can see the debate on the youth transition medicine stuff, that makes sense to be weary about. But a name card? LOL. It would be like a recruit showing up to an ND camp and not referring to any of the coaches as "Coach X" even if they're not your coach you still do it as a sign of respect.

Comment

• You talk about signs of respect. What if an elderly gentleman or woman wanted just their name and title on their placard? They're a chairperson for a charity, they've always had their name displayed a certain way at events and they like it just as it is. They can fully support LGBTQ rights, but out of respect would you let them keep their name displayed as they like it or would you insist they change it?

Comment

You talk about signs of respect. What if an elderly gentleman or woman wanted just their name and title on their placard? They're a chairperson for a charity, they've always had their name displayed a certain way at events and they like it just as it is. They can fully support LGBTQ rights, but out of respect would you let them keep their name displayed as they like it or would you insist they change it?
                                                    Funny you should bring that up, an uncle who served was at a local fundraiser that a bunch of people from the base also went to and they found it unusual but when explained what it meant they had no problem doing it. After all, he said it was just a name tag.

I've been to a number of tax conferences, that have some of the oldest and most conservative people in the city that attend them (think old CPA firm partners) and they seem to be able to put their pronouns on it just fine. Many just chuckle and throw down he/him she/her, literally 3 seconds of time it takes. Nobody puts up a fight because having he/him or she/her on their name tag doesn't "devalue" or make them "woke".

ANYWAYS I know you're a good person and we're both entrenched on our political sides, I don't have any concerns that you would ostracize someone over this (as you're not a lunatic), and this really isn't the end of the world for me as I don't put pronouns on anything unless asked.

Comment

• I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I have put pronouns in my name a few times for meeting purposes, it's certainly more popular with the west coast government clients than it is the midwest counterparts...and as they say "when in Rome." Still it's always done as a friendly gesture and never a mandatory thing. If you make it mandatory I think some people may feel their rights are being stripped or they don't like being told what to do, or maybe it just is a comfort thing, I dunno. As you pointed out it isn't asking anyone a lot to do it, and as long as it is just a suggestion no one should ever feel threatened.

Comment

Funny you should bring that up, an uncle who served was at a local fundraiser that a bunch of people from the base also went to and they found it unusual but when explained what it meant they had no problem doing it. After all, he said it was just a name tag.

I've been to a number of tax conferences, that have some of the oldest and most conservative people in the city that attend them (think old CPA firm partners) and they seem to be able to put their pronouns on it just fine. Many just chuckle and throw down he/him she/her, literally 3 seconds of time it takes. Nobody puts up a fight because having he/him or she/her on their name tag doesn't "devalue" or make them "woke".

ANYWAYS I know you're a good person and we're both entrenched on our political sides, I don't have any concerns that you would ostracize someone over this (as you're not a lunatic), and this really isn't the end of the world for me as I don't put pronouns on anything unless asked.
                                                        I'm with you that its a small minor thing on one hand. But on the other its a looney thing to ask of people. If I hop onto zoom, you'll see a dashing and perfectly tanned Caucasian male named John. We don't need pronouns there.

A few classes last semester said it was "required" to put pronouns in our name. I think about 10-20% in a NYC law school complied. If they aren't getting significant buy-in from that crowd, I dont anticipate this silly trend having much staying power. But pushing back on the stupidity of it has some utility.

In other news: My law school sent out an email that incoming classes will be required to take critical race theory (or similar race courses) moving forward. Also informed us that we will be attending a bunch of mandatory seminars on these things, and professors will be required to tackle similar issues in unrelated courses.

This is very disheartening. Looking very much forward to turning down all their donation requests as long as that's a thing.
                                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

I'm with you that its a small minor thing on one hand. But on the other its a looney thing to ask of people. If I hop onto zoom, you'll see a dashing and perfectly tanned Caucasian male named John. We don't need pronouns there.

A few classes last semester said it was "required" to put pronouns in our name. I think about 10-20% in a NYC law school complied. If they aren't getting significant buy-in from that crowd, I dont anticipate this silly trend having much-staying power. But pushing back on the stupidity of it has some utility.

In other news: My law school sent out an email that incoming classes will be required to take critical race theory (or similar race courses) moving forward. Also informed us that we will be attending a bunch of mandatory seminars on these things, and professors will be required to tackle similar issues in unrelated courses.

This is very disheartening. Looking very much forward to turning down all their donation requests as long as that's a thing.
                                                          If they're going to push the CRT pseudoscience, at least try and turn the debate to more interesting aspects of it, like racist birds.

Comment

It is a common courtesy thing? I'm badgering because it is just so foreign to me that this is an issue that people have. A name card! Like ok, I can see the debate on the youth transition medicine stuff, that makes sense to be weary about. But a name card? LOL. It would be like a recruit showing up to an ND camp and not referring to any of the coaches as "Coach X" even if they're not your coach you still do it as a sign of respect.
                                                            From now on, please refer to me as "Your royal highness" when responding to any of my posts.

Comment

If they're going to push the CRT pseudoscience, at least try and turn the debate to more interesting aspects of it, like racist birds.

something has got to be done about those racist birds....a line has to be drawn at some point.
                                                              YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
                                                              Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

Comment

• I'm guessing she will be the favorite to win gold.

New Zealand weightlifter to become first transgender athlete at Olympic Games

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/austr...spt/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                  I'm guessing she will be the favorite to win gold.

New Zealand weightlifter to become first transgender athlete at Olympic Games

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/austr...spt/index.html
                                                                  This should be a good red pill for those undecided on the issue. I would lose my shit if my daughter had to compete against boys in a women's division.

Comment

This should be a good red pill for those undecided on the issue. I would lose my shit if my daughter had to compete against boys in a women's division.

I think it will help people to see a caricature of this nonsense at the highest level.
                                                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• IOC released testosterone level guidelines in 2015, this a non-issue lmao. She started transitioning in 2013, her T levels are likely trivial, and if they aren't guess what? There's the IOC guidelines. The faux outrage is hilarious.

Comment

IOC released testosterone level guidelines in 2015, this a non-issue lmao. She started transitioning in 2013, her T levels are likely trivial, and if they aren't guess what? There's the IOC guidelines. The faux outrage is hilarious.
                                                                        IOC’s determining criteria — a maximum reading of 10 nanomoles per liter of testosterone — is as least five times more than a biological woman.

Comment

IOC released testosterone level guidelines in 2015, this a non-issue lmao. She started transitioning in 2013, her T levels are likely trivial, and if they aren't guess what? There's the IOC guidelines. The faux outrage is hilarious.
                                                                          Testosterone is not the only problem here. This individual should compete as a man or not at all.
                                                                          Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Testosterone is not the only problem here. This individual should compete as a man or not at all.
                                                                            No kidding. If people want to manipulate their gender, that is their prerogative. However, they should have to compete at their natural scientifically assigned gender.

Where are the born women who transition to men that are dominating men's sports?

Comment

What other issues other than the presumed competitive advantage of testosterone.

Comment

What other issues other than the presumed competitive advantage of testosterone.
                                                                                Where are the born women who transition to men that are dominating men's sports?

Comment

What?

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                                                                                    Toronto seems to primarily be responding to "not the only problem here".

drayer seems to primarily be responding to "presumed competitive advantage of testosterone".

Thus the disconnect

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post

Toronto seems to primarily be responding to "not the only problem here".

drayer seems to primarily be responding to "presumed competitive advantage of testosterone".

Thus the disconnect
                                                                                      This^

I totally understand if the argument is "Someone with X levels of testosterone shouldn't compete with someone born genetically a woman because they have levels at Y" That makes sense and there can be rational agreement to that.

ND is hinting at other issues, not sure what other issues there are. Drayer? Who knows, looks to be an emotional argument.

Comment

This^

I totally understand if the argument is "Someone with X levels of testosterone shouldn't compete with someone born genetically a woman because they have levels at Y" That makes sense and there can be rational agreement to that.

ND is hinting at other issues, not sure what other issues there are. Drayer? Who knows, looks to be an emotional argument.
                                                                                        We have several examples of people who are born a man and decide to become a woman, compete in sports, and excel.

I'm asking for examples of people who are born a woman, become a man, compete in sports, and excel?

If this isn't happening, why not?

Comment

We have several examples of people who are born a man and decide to become a woman, compete in sports, and excel.

I'm asking for examples of people who are born a woman, become a man, compete in sports, and excel?

Because the male body is superior to a female.

Hmmm, wait, I've changed my mind, the female body is definitely superior now that I've had time to visualize things.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post

Because the male body is superior to a female.

Hmmm, wait, I've changed my mind, the female body is definitely superior now that I've had time to visualize things.
                                                                                            Well, these are trannies, so let's just stick to the athletic dynamic. Why am I not seeing a push to keep biological females out of boys' sports?

Comment

Besides the sprinter from South Africa (not sure her country, but she was the reason behind the T rules), and this weightlifter how many are there really?

Of course it's not happening? Why would it happen? What is this proving? lmao, I've already stated I can get behind a discussion on T level changes in the Olympics but you're not really making a point? Can you state your point?

Comment

Besides the sprinter from South Africa (not sure her country, but she was the reason behind the T rules), and this weightlifter how many are there really?

Of course it's not happening? Why would it happen? What is this proving? lmao, I've already stated I can get behind a discussion on T level changes in the Olympics but you're not really making a point? Can you state your point?
                                                                                                My point is that men who compete amongst girls ( and there are more than 2) do well because it is an unfair advantage. This Laurel did weightlifting as a man. You don’t see women converting and dominating because it isn’t an advantage. It’s not faux outrage, it’s ridiculous and an unfair advantage.

Comment

My point is that men who compete amongst girls ( and there are more than 2) do well because it is an unfair advantage. This Laurel did weightlifting as a man. You don’t see women converting and dominating because it isn’t an advantage. It’s not faux outrage, it’s ridiculous and an unfair advantage.
                                                                                                  They're not "men" but go on, do you have any studies or papers that show a statistically significant amount of Olympic sports or other sporting competitions that have transgender athletes dominating? For someone that's kept so abreast with women's sports surely there's got to be something behind your being so upset.

Do you have a target T level that you'd like anyone identifying as a women to have? You've likely put some thought into this, and wouldn't just be upset because "duh, trannies!!".

Comment

They're not "men" but go on, do you have any studies or papers that show a statistically significant amount of Olympic sports or other sporting competitions that have transgender athletes dominating? For someone that's kept so abreast with women's sports surely there's got to be something behind your being so upset.

Do you have a target T level that you'd like anyone identifying as a women to have? You've likely put some thought into this, and wouldn't just be upset because "duh, trannies!!".
                                                                                                    If a man strength trains under normal testosterone levels for a decade or more and then converts and continues training, you are starting with a huge advantage. I don’t care what your T level is now.
                                                                                                    Laurel Hubbard is 43 and competed as a man. Gavin becomes Laurel and suddenly sets new records and you pretend this is fair to other women, actual women, who have always trained as women and shouldn’t have a huge asterisk next to any lift? It’s nonsense and shouldn’t be allowed. If you are born a man, it’s only fair and right to compete as a man.

Comment

Who said they were outraged? I'm not, but I think it's not fair for the women competing. Forgetting testosterone, if you think men and women are physically the same I don't know what to tell you.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X