No announcement yet.

Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Virginia Beach shooting right? https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...oting-76773879 Says the race right upfront.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
      This Virginia Beach shooting right? https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...oting-76773879 Says the race right upfront.
      When I checked the day of it didn't have much info available. This wasn't a huge deal to me one way or the other. But I'm assuming some articles were updated or new ones were published.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

This Virginia Beach shooting right? https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...oting-76773879 Says the race right upfront.
        Right up front and 5 days later...

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

When I checked the day of it didn't have much info available. This wasn't a huge deal to me one way or the other. But I'm assuming some articles were updated or new ones were published.
          I wonder if anyone calling it this censorship media conspiracy will walk back those comments. Or, now that there is more details coming out they'll have anything substantive to say about the case.

Comment

I wonder if anyone calling it this censorship media conspiracy will walk back those comments. Or, now that there is more details coming out they'll have anything substantive to say about the case.
            You think the media would have treated this the same if the shooter was white?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

You think the media would have treated this the same if the shooter was white?
              Would you consider Pharrell Williams a popular person? How do you feel about the Capitol incident, surely that's enough coverage for crime committed for a black person?

Comment

Would you consider Pharrell Williams a popular person? How do you feel about the Capitol incident, surely that's enough coverage for crime committed for a black person?
                Sooo... Do you think media would treat this different if the Capitol guy was white? Farrakhan going to be charged for inciting an insurrection?
                Last edited by Blazers46; 04-03-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post

Sooo... Do you think media would treat this different if the Capitol guy was white? Farrakhan going to be charged for inciting an insurrection?
                  Well, duh. It would be leading the airwaves if it fit the narrative.
                  Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

I don't know who that is or much about the Capitol incident.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                        Barkley is one the best behind the booth. I love his commentary. Or course, he’s right. That’s how Clinton v Trump was a thing. Name two more divisive candidates? 4 years into Biden and we’ll see but this isn’t getting better. I still think we need a divorce.
                        Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

You’re cracking me up Toronto. You’re the king of reminding people that someone either didn’t respond to your question or reminding them they replied but didn’t answer yes or no. You avoided by replying with a question. Fred Astaire would have been proud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

You’re cracking me up Toronto. You’re the king of reminding people that someone either didn’t respond to your question or reminding them they replied but didn’t answer yes or no. You avoided by replying with a question. Fred Astaire would have been proud.
                            Haha, I'm glad it's not lost on you. Trying to get out of feeling based or anecdotal type arguments. I just wanted to point out that the race was actually disclosed.

Comment

Haha, I'm glad it's not lost on you. Trying to get out of feeling based or anecdotal type arguments. I just wanted to point out that the race was actually disclosed.
                              Predictably the article you posted was days after the incident... and predictably the article you posted was primarily talking about the Officer involved shooting of a Black Man and only briefly touched on the shooting at the end. Initial reports did not disclose race in any shooting relating to Virginia Beach on that day until later. The shooting happened late Friday March 27th, your article is from March 30th.

Comment

Predictably the article you posted was days after the incident... and predictably the article you posted was primarily talking about the Officer involved shooting of a Black Man and only briefly touched on the shooting at the end. Initial reports did not disclose race in any shooting relating to Virginia Beach on that day until later. The shooting happened late Friday March 27th, your article is from March 30th.
                                Critical thinking is tough, I know. But, the article I posted was because someone commented as recently as April 2nd. That people are brainwashed morons, when they could have checked for any additional articles since the initial post by Bishop.

I posted the first article I found that showed 1) The race of the shooter 2) The race of victim. As that was in question by the original post on March 27th. Are you saying that if a article is not written the day of the incident that anything after that day is not allowed? Not sure what your gripe is here, other than wanting to rush to judgement and semantics.

Comment

Critical thinking is tough, I know. But, the article I posted was because someone commented as recently as April 2nd. That people are brainwashed morons, when they could have checked for any additional articles since the initial post by Bishop.

I posted the first article I found that showed 1) The race of the shooter 2) The race of victim. As that was in question by the original post on March 27th. Are you saying that if a article is not written the day of the incident that anything after that day is not allowed? Not sure what your gripe is here, other than wanting to rush to judgement and semantics.
                                  I'm assuming what he is getting at is a concern that journalists are often content to put out a story leaving out facts that are not good for their narrative they want to push. Then they go in and edit it later to fix things after the cycle has passed.

I dont think this particular instance was really all that bad. But we see journos set wildfires regularly such as "Breaking: the shooter in Denver is a young white male. What does this say about the dangers white men pose to BIPOCLGBTQQ+?"

Replies: 1K Retweets: 25K Likes: 127K

Follow up tweet/edit to article: "it turns out the shooter was not necessarily white. I will not share his name and will instead focus on the victims. Gun control now!"

Replies: 125 retweets: 750 likes: 1K

Thats not to say that it is specifically a right/left media thing, but media in general is among the most left leaning professions so there are a ton of prime examples there.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

I'm assuming what he is getting at is a concern that journalists are often content to put out a story leaving out facts that are not good for their narrative they want to push. Then they go in and edit it later to fix things after the cycle has passed.

I dont think this particular instance was really all that bad. But we see journos set wildfires regularly such as "Breaking: the shooter in Denver is a young white male. What does this say about the dangers white men pose to BIPOCLGBTQQ+?"

Replies: 1K Retweets: 25K Likes: 127K

Follow up tweet/edit to article: "it turns out the shooter was not necessarily white. I will not share his name and will instead focus on the victims. Gun control now!"

Replies: 125 retweets: 750 likes: 1K

Thats not to say that it is specifically a right/left media thing, but media in general is among the most left leaning professions so there are a ton of prime examples there.
                                    Yes, that would be an issue if they said "White Shooter Kills Black Man" - that was not the case, entirely different. This situation did not happen, and it was not a coverup by the media as we now know by the released information. There were no hashtags, no movements, no protests, no overblown media coverage - so anything handwringing at Duh Media!1! is ridiculous.

Comment

Still waiting for a yes or no. lol

Comment

Yes, that would be an issue if they said "White Shooter Kills Black Man" - that was not the case, entirely different. This situation did not happen, and it was not a coverup by the media as we now know by the released information. There were no hashtags, no movements, no protests, no overblown media coverage - so anything handwringing at Duh Media!1! is ridiculous.
                                        I think if you really look at your comment you can see a glaring problem with media and society as a whole. The fact that it was a story and now really isnt says everything we need to know in my opinion. Multiple black males have a shootout in Virgina beach. If that was the information known right off the jump it would have stayed a local story and we may not have ever heard about it. But the media had very little information in a very hyper-sensitive gotcha nation and the initial reports or the initial headline (with nothing known about race, motive or victims) was multiple people shot, some injuries, some killed, at the very least, had the potential to be a big story. Even as BLM being as big as it as now... black people shooting at each and injurying and killing each isnt really national headline worthy sadly. The fact that it WAS initially a national story and now that we have the facts it just isnt juicy enough to care about should be the argument against the media and society. There were no hashtags, no movements, no protests, no overblown media coverage becaue groups could not attach hastags, protests, movements and no political/media narrative could be conveyed with this story, probably much to their disappointment. Just a bunch of black guys shooting other... next story...

Comment

I think if you really look at your comment you can see a glaring problem with media and society as a whole. The fact that it was a story and now really isnt says everything we need to know in my opinion. Multiple black males have a shootout in Virgina beach. If that was the information known right off the jump it would have stayed a local story and we may not have ever heard about it. But the media had very little information in a very hyper-sensitive gotcha nation and the initial reports or the initial headline (with nothing known about race, motive or victims) was multiple people shot, some injuries, some killed, at the very least, had the potential to be a big story. Even as BLM being as big as it as now... black people shooting at each and injurying and killing each isnt really national headline worthy sadly. The fact that it WAS initially a national story and now that we have the facts it just isnt juicy enough to care about should be the argument against the media and society. There were no hashtags, no movements, no protests, no overblown media coverage becaue groups could not attach hastags, protests, movements and no political/media narrative could be conveyed with this story, probably much to their disappointment. Just a bunch of black guys shooting other... next story...
                                          I'll tell you the same thing I tell my staff - make your point concise.

Your initial response to me was that I posted an article "predictably" (not sure what that means, as it is assuming that I waited until finding article to fit my beliefs) days after the incident. When, in fact, it was the first article to show up in my Google search. So, back to your original hand wringing - where did I go wrong in posting the first available news story? As well, the initial discussion was that there were little details out there and that it wasn't a bigger story. In your post, you appear (it's not very clear) to claim that it had the potential to be a bigger story but...wasn't so that's an issue? Isn't the whole gripe that white people don't get the same coverage as black people, but when a black person has been killed a police officer you're upset at that? Consistency please.

Comment

Your initial response to me was that I posted an article "predictably" (not sure what that means, as it is assuming that I waited until finding article to fit my beliefs) days after the incident. When, in fact, it was the first article to show up in my Google search. So, back to your original hand wringing - where did I go wrong in posting the first available news story? As well, the initial discussion was that there were little details out there and that it wasn't a bigger story. In your post, you appear (it's not very clear) to claim that it had the potential to be a bigger story but...wasn't so that's an issue? Isn't the whole gripe that white people don't get the same coverage as black people, but when a black person has been killed a police officer you're upset at that? Consistency please.
                                            Yes or no? Sorry, couldn't resist. lol

Comment

Thanks for the advice, boss.

I will break it down -

Your initial response to me was that I posted an article "predictably" (not sure what that means, as it is assuming that I waited until finding article to fit my beliefs) days after the incident.

You are trying to make a point that the media disclosed race in relation to Virginia Beach... I am simply saying its convenient and predictable that an article 5 days late to the party disclosed race... and its convenient and predictable that the story, within that 5 days, went from 10 shot / 2 dead to Police being investigated for shooting black man with barely any mention of all the other events that occured.

If I wanted to jump on you about being predictable, Google algarithms already did that feeding you a story they predicted you would like/read since thats how Google algarithms work... they predict what you want to see. So if I wanted to go there I would say its funny that the first thing that popped up for your Virgina Beach Google search was an article about investigating the police with little mention of everything else.

So, back to your original hand wringing - where did I go wrong in posting the first available news story?

Again, your article is late to the party. The lead story will always be the story. People are not morons but peope are lazy. People read headlines and some might skim the article for names and specifics but rarely do people read the whole article... which is something to keep in mind for ad placement when marketing. But rarely do people read follw up stories... rarely do people read articles 5 days after after the fact. rarely do people see edits or retractions. You aren't "wrong" but if you are trying to prove a point by defending media and what they said or didnt an article 5 days late isn't doing much for your argument.

As well, the initial discussion was that there were little details out there and that it wasn't a bigger story. In your post, you appear (it's not very clear) to claim that it had the potential to be a bigger story but...wasn't so that's an issue?

10 shot / 2 dead should be a big story. 10 shot / 2 dead at the very least has the potential to be a big story depending on the what, where, hows, and whos... It ran into our local news but it quickly fizzled when it became sort of non-story because the hows and whos. A bunch of black people shooting at each seems to be a non story nobdy really cares about. Even in your 5 day late article it just mostly talks about the officer being investigated (convenient and predictable).

Isn't the whole gripe that white people don't get the same coverage as black people, but when a black person has been killed a police officer you're upset at that? Consistency please.

Again... nobody really seems to care about the 10 shot / 2 dead story because they were black people shooting at other black people. As much as it should be a story and a bigger story, its not... even you admit that. Even the article you posted leaves one to assume the only story that even really matters is white cop shoots black man. That seems to be consistant with the media and I guess society as a whole. BLM matters only when shot by a officer, the other people just seem to be a side story or non-story at this point.

Comment

• Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                Working...
                                                X