Political Correctness thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Correctness thread

I created this PC thread for examples and discussion of PC as opposed to straight political discussions found in the Politics thread.

Tonight I found this one and cannot believe the student reactions. I am 47 years old and feel like I am having the reactions 80 year olds had back when I was in college at the start of PC in the 1980's.

Pitt Students 'In Tears' and Feeling 'Unsafe' After Milo Yiannopoulos Event - Breitbart

The University of Pittsburgh’s Student Government Board held a public meeting on Tuesday to discuss the traumatizing visit the night before from “dangerous” homosexual and Breitbart Tech Editor Milo Yiannopoulos, during which students described themselves as feeling “hurt” and “unsafe.”

“During his talk, Yiannopoulos called students who believe in a gender wage gap ‘idiots,’ declared the Black Lives Matter movement a ‘supremacy’ group, while feminists are ‘man-haters,’” according to the student paper The Pitt News, prompting a handful of twenty-something-year olds to feel upset.

“Just because we have to be neutral with our funding doesn’t mean we’re personally neutral,” announced board member Jack Heidecker at the meeting. “I hurt yesterday, too.”

“So many of us shared in our pain. I felt I was in danger, and I felt so many people in that room were in danger,” proclaimed Marcus Robinson, student and president of the Pittsburgh Rainbow Alliance. Robinson also suggested that councilors should have been provided in another room to protect students who felt “traumatized” by Yiannopoulos’s opinions.

“This is more than hurt feelings, this is about real violence. We know that the violence against marginalized groups happens every day in this country,” claimed social work and urban studies major Claire Matway. “That so many people walked out of that [event] feeling in literal physical danger is not alright.”
    The reactions of students over a non-compulsory and extracurricular event featuring a gay journalist expressing a difference of opinion are a worrying sign that academia is failing. These are students who are legal adults and on the cusp of entering the real world, yet they’re in tears over the fact that someone, who they need not even listen to, disagreed with them.

University is no longer a place for new ideas, discussion, and intellectual debate. It is a place of safe spaces, no platforming, and trigger warnings. Students are taught to believe and agree with a single narrative and doctrine, turning them into narrow-minded and unchallenged pawns, with any form of resistance or difference of thought being classified as hate speech.

Pittsburgh may be the steel city, but it appears its students are made of softer stuff.
    Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Milo is coming to ND in a couple weeks, and I'm looking forward to it. I don't agree with him exactly politically, but I love how upset he makes liberals
    “The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.”
    ― Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Yeah, similar crap has happened with him at other schools. It's an embarrassment how soft minded some college liberals are... instead of trying to factually combat ideas they disagree with the default response is to feign "trauma" and curl up into a little ball playing the "victim."

I lean left on most issues, but I cannot stand this crop of losers who have no mental toughness... and I also can't stand the academics that enable them.

Comment

So they feared for their safety because a guy was giving a speech? The woosification of America is complete.

Comment

“This is more than hurt feelings, this is about real violence. We know that the violence against marginalized groups happens every day in this country,” claimed social work and urban studies major Claire Matway. “That so many people walked out of that [event] feeling in literal physical danger is not alright.”
          I wonder if some people have ever stopped to consider that maybe they are marginalized not because of their sexual orientation, or their skin color, or their religion, or their politics......... but because they cringe in fear from some nebulous "bogeyman" hiding around every corner, and society just doesn't have time to hold their hand, or dry their tears, every minute of every single day?

Comment

The wild part is they complain about violence against marginalized groups while fearing a gay republican. You gotta figure a gay republican is a kinda small group too, eh?

Comment

Milo is hilarious.

Comment

I love Milo. College Republicans of Fordham have been trying to get him here for a couple of months.

Comment

Milo is hilarious. Joe Rogan had him on his podcast a couple months ago. Certainly an interesting listen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dGL5eRw7rXU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

I'm just hoping that the guys who said they felt "hurt" and were in "pain" were just doing it to get some sympathy pussy. Surely it's all an angle to get laid, right?
                    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                      I'm just hoping that the guys who said they felt "hurt" and were in "pain" were just doing it to get some sympathy pussy. Surely it's all an angle to get laid, right?
                      No chance.

Male feminists are male feminists bc they don't get laid.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                        Yeah, similar crap has happened with him at other schools. It's an embarrassment how soft minded some college liberals are... instead of trying to factually combat ideas they disagree with the default response is to feign "trauma" and curl up into a little ball playing the "victim."

I lean left on most issues, but I cannot stand this crop of losers who have no mental toughness... and I also can't stand the academics that enable them.

Comment

Breaking news: "Vocal college minorities invited to speak publicly sound whiny."

The article has three cherry picked quotes total, one from a student government shill being PC, one from the President of the Pittsburgh Rainbow Warriors Friendship Fun-Time club, and one from social work major. I get being pissed off that these people sound like such pansies, but to quote Bill Burr on the Duck Dynasty guys being homophobic, "What did you think they thought?!"

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                            Breaking news: "Vocal college minorities invited to speak publicly sound whiny."

The article has three cherry picked quotes total, one from a student government shill being PC, one from the President of the Pittsburgh Rainbow Warriors Friendship Fun-Time club, and one from social work major. I get being pissed off that these people sound like such pansies, but to quote Bill Burr on the Duck Dynasty guys being homophobic, "What did you think they thought?!"
                            You're correct. But attention should still be paid to the ridiculousness of their behavior. These are the type of people that try to shape policies and laws based on their feelings.

Comment

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j556MWGVVqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Going to college is supposed to be about growth. You grow as a person. Your knowledge increases. You see, do, and try new things that you never would have done before. You will learn that you don't like some of these. You will learn you like others. When you disagree, that's fine, but stop making everyone feel like we need this sheltered place for our college kids to feel safe. This isn't GOD DAMN preschool. You are an adult, and you don't need protection.

Comment

Tina Fey Calls Out The Oscars for Political Correctness, Liberal &#039;Hollywood Bullshit&#039; - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Comment

Jerry Seinfeld: College students don&#039;t know what the hell they&#039;re talking about | EW.com

This story got a lot of play when it came out last year too

Comment

Tina Fey and Jerry Seinfeld are not the poster children for conservative thought either... Fey especially... somewhat surprising.
                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                                        <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j556MWGVVqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                        I love how serious a lot of them take themselves... you're talking to an insult comic guys...
                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                          Tina Fey and Jerry Seinfeld are not the poster children for conservative thought either... Fey especially... somewhat surprising.
                                          Thats what makes it even better. If it was a super conservative guy, people would probably just think he/she is whining.
                                          Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Might as well change the title of this thread to "The Pinko Commie Liberal Bashing Only Thread"

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                                              Might as well change the title of this thread to "The Pinko Commie Liberal Bashing Only Thread"
                                              You get out of dis here thread, go on, git!!!... Pinky bastard....

Comment

Bring on the quotes and clips from conservatives whining about micro-aggressions and having their safe spaces violated by an opposing viewpoint to balance things out. I'll gladly laugh them out of the room, too.

Comment

At minimum, this thread should come with a trigger warning, amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by NDLightning35 View Post
                                                    Milo is coming to ND in a couple weeks, and I'm looking forward to it. I don't agree with him exactly politically, but I love how upset he makes liberals
                                                    ND students tend to be more mature, in my experience. There are certainly fewer liberals and more conservatives than on the average campus (although the groups are about even in size, which says something about how liberal most campuses are) but they tend not to be as childish. Of course, there are exceptions; hopefully they don't embarrass themselves at this event.

Comment

At minimum, this thread should come with a trigger warning, amirite?
                                                      LOL. For real... there will be copious amounts of microaggression, veiled racism, and minute sexism flowing through this thread. Needs a disclaimer IMO. ;)

Comment

LOL. For real... there will be copious amounts of microaggression, veiled racism, and minute sexism flowing through this thread. Needs a disclaimer IMO. ;)
                                                        Only if you take it that way. amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                          I love how serious a lot of them take themselves... you're talking to an insult comic guys...
                                                          Some were smiling and stopped. Made me think they might have been told to keep a serious look on their faces?

Comment

I really hope that was real. I'm almost crying.

Comment

Hot Take: PC culture helped propel Trump's campaign. Political correctness doesn't actually make people any less bigoted. It just forces them to hide and channel their fears in a way that makes them susceptible to demagoguery.
                                                              Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 03-04-2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                                I really hope that was real. I'm almost crying.
                                                                Look at their faces. I think they knew what to expect, but some of them still look taken aback. Its like the difference knowing the tackle is coming and feeling the tackle actually occurring.

Comment

So you are saying I need to post a micro aggression warning?

Comment

No no no no no...Liberals can be outraged by some of the levels of PC

Lax said he leans left and this taken to the degree it sometimes is taken to sometimes bothers him as well.

I posted the Tina Fey item...not exactly bosom buddies politically with Sarah Palin.

I am not looking for people to go full monty the other way. But for someone to get upset because someone refers to Bruce instead of Caitlyn Jenner, especially when referring to Olympic era Bruce or even early career Kim K Bruce (the times he still went by Bruce), is just silly.

Comment

I am not looking for people to go full monty the other way. But for someone to get upset because someone refers to Bruce instead of Caitlyn Jenner, especially when referring to Olympic era Bruce or even early career Kim K Bruce (the times he still went by Bruce), is just silly.
                                                                      He also has a Y chromosome and a penis, so... yeah...

Comment

#safespace #diversity
                                                                        The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

Lax said he leans left and this taken to the degree it sometimes is taken to sometimes bothers him as well.

I posted the Tina Fey item...not exactly bosom buddies politically with Sarah Palin.

Can you give me one example of a topic regarding something being "non-PC" where the topic in particular wasn't a left leaning topic? Even the Tina Fey example wasnt that.

I give this thread 3 pages before it turns into a horrific bloodbath where it ends up being a safe-zone for any racist, bigoted, sexist, etc comment one desires.

A horrid idea for a thread.
                                                                          Originally posted by koonja
                                                                          I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                                            He also has a Y chromosome and a penis, so... yeah...
                                                                            How do you know bro??

Comment

• #39

What is microaggression? How does my microaggression feel? Does microaggression count as trolling? Maybe there should be a disclaimer that microaggression is allowable or nonexistent? Conflicted. Confused. I am of course kidding. This thread has much. potential. ;)

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                Can you give me one example of a topic regarding something being "non-PC" where the topic in particular wasn't a left leaning topic? Even the Tina Fey example wasnt that.
                                                                                But that's not what he was saying. He wasn't talking about liberal topics, he was talking about liberal people. He said that "liberals can be outraged by some level of PC"... which isn't exactly a mind blowing statement.

Political correctness is a leftist invention, so it's virtually impossible to find an application of political correctness by any right winger to a right wing ideology. But, again, that's not what connor said.

An illustration of what he's saying is someone like Seinfeld (or other comedians) that are avowed liberals but refuse to play college campuses anymore for fear of triggering the PC police.

And an example of what he's saying in practice would be a liberal that doesn't abide by PC might engaging someone like Milo on the topic of the gender wage gap and say "I disagree with your statement, and here's why"... whereas someone who is PC would say "your statement is sexist and misogynistic and makes me fear for my safety". Ergo, many liberals hate that kind of dismissive, overly-sensitive person for either 1) making the entire progressive movement look petulant 2) refusing to discuss the actual merits of the argument and therefor fail to sway anyone to their side or 3) for making it impossible for even liberal-aligned people to talk frankly for fear of saying the smallest thing deemed "offensive" and incurring backlash.

I give this thread 3 pages before it turns into a horrific bloodbath where it ends up being a safe-zone for any racist, bigoted, sexist, etc comment one desires.

Can't tell if this is high brow sarcasm.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post

Found the liberal

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I was sent this anonymously. I will credit later if they give the ok.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iKcWu0tsiZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Chapter 1, page 1 of the liberal handbook: mock, deride, smear and slander until popular opinion is on your side for fear of the same treatment.

You have all been warned.
                                                                                      "Tribal tattoos: Another way to say you will be sent dick pics."
                                                                                      -rifftrax

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Sarge View Post
                                                                                        Chapter 1, page 1 of the liberal handbook: mock, deride, smear and slander until popular opinion is on your side for fear of the same treatment.

You have all been warned.
                                                                                        Found the moderate.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                                          Found the moderate.
                                                                                          You haven't been paying attention.
                                                                                          "Tribal tattoos: Another way to say you will be sent dick pics."
                                                                                          -rifftrax

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Was actually watching a youtube video of "The Year in News" from MTV from around 1989. Kirk Loder made mention of how this new thing called PC was gaining roots across some college campuses. Said something to the effect that "short" people were now being called "vertically challenged."He went on to referenced a Time magazine front page cover article about it.

I guess my question is this: What, when, and where did the origins of PC actually start?

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by T Town Tommy View Post
                                                                                              Was actually watching a youtube video of "The Year in News" from MTV from around 1989. Kirk Loder made mention of how this new thing called PC was gaining roots across some college campuses. Said something to the effect that "short" people were now being called "vertically challenged."He went on to referenced a Time magazine front page cover article about it.

I guess my question is this: What, when, and where did the origins of PC actually start?
                                                                                              This is a really good question. It's sometimes hard to trace the roots of terminology or movements to a singular event/time pre-internet. It's interesting because ideas like "micro-aggressions" did not exist until circa 2012 and this is verified via Google. But political correctness pre-dates the internet.

Growing up in the 90s everyone was taught "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me"... kids are taught the literal opposite today. They're told their verbal actions can be considered "violence" that does "irreparable harm" to someone.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                This is a really good question. It's sometimes hard to trace the roots of terminology or movements to a singular event/time pre-internet. It's interesting because ideas like "micro-aggressions" did not exist until circa 2012 and this is verified via Google. But political correctness pre-dates the internet.

Growing up in the 90s everyone was taught "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me"... kids are taught the literal opposite today. They're told their verbal actions can be considered "violence" that does "irreparable harm" to someone.
                                                                                                Just started googling the history and it's interesting. Looks like I'm going to have myself a wild Friday night.

It's going to be a real treat dealing with these enlightened little pricks in the workplace.

Comment

• #49

The 'old left' view held famously by Hugo Black among others was that the whole point of free speech is to protect the person who thinks differently. This includes cultural pressure as well as legal injunction, as Tocqueville and Mill understood.

Many 'new left' Marxists, particularly in the academy, rejected all of this in the 1960s. Herbert Marcuse introduced the idea of "repressive tolerance" which is basically a Marxist rejection of free speech as serving the interests of the bourgeois and status-quo forces in a society. 'PC culture' is a crude application of this sort of theory (e.g., white men are not allowed to hold opinions about topics such as affirmative action).

It is very difficult to have an adult discussion with students about serious topics when they are so delicate and cannot handle hearing an opinion other than their own expressed. As I said earlier in my experience ND students are much better at handling disagreement than students at other schools. The reason for this in my view is that a lot of the students here are conservative and so there are decent odds you aren't the only person arguing from that perspective. At typical schools the would-be conservative or libertarian students who reject the diversity cult are so few that the Asch effect kicks in and they are afraid to express a different view.

Why does this bizarre behavior on campus matter? One reason is that our entire political and legal system is based upon argument and division. Can today's college students sustain that culture and its institutions? Don't count on it.

And by the way, when they do start passing 'hate speech' laws, which are commonly used in other countries to repress unpopular opinions, the First Amendment will not save us. These people will be (in some cases already are) the judges who will be enforcing these provisions.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I was about to post in the "What Are You Drinking" thread, and I saw this.

The "anti-PC" thing is both the most hateful, ridiculous, backward institution I've ever seen in my 40 years, and also justified to a degree.

Liberals and progressives were the first to coin the term as a self-mocking pejorative to check folks among our ranks that had gone too far. Now it's turned into a reflex argument against anyone that says anything rude and racist people disagree with.

Trump's entire campaign rests in the (very popular notion) that politically correct speech is less favorable than any horrible thing that one can possibly come up with. A significant amount of the last (R) debate was devoted to how large the front-runner's penis is.

This is fucking ridiculous. We should all be ashamed.

I spend almost all of my waking hours convincing at-risk youth that there are certain levels of appropriateness that are expected in our community... I'll just leave that there.

When I grew up. We called 'politically correct' 'polite.'

Where has that America gone? We're all fucked.
                                                                                                    Last edited by JughedJones; 03-05-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X