Police State USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police State USA

Figure we might as well get a thread going for all police shenanigans.

Virginia Police Caught Assaulting Teens, Video Deletion Fails

This was just linked to me. Happened in Virginia (and low & behold the victims were white for once) and it's a pretty jarring video.

Cops pull over teens for license plate light being out, then proceed to harass/assault them. The kids tried to do everything by the book knowing their rights and started recording the stop once it started taking a turn for the worst.

Not only did the cops brutalize the teens, but then they attempted to erase the incriminating video while throwing the book at them with made up charges of resisting arrest, assault of a police officer, etc. Sadly for them, they were too incompetent to permanently delete the video.

Also, their tasers apparently have "taser cams" that activate after use... so the department was already investigating, and now that there is more video hopefully they all lose their jobs and then some.

Brandon (the kid in the back seat) is currently imprisoned until July on charges of assault and battery on a police officer and resisting arrest.

I've heard a lot of discussing lately about the concern that many ex soldiers, trained for a war zone, are now police officers in a position where they are supposed to serve and protect.

Comment

http://youtu.be/FiDKAS-kKJQ

From same website. Sorry, I don't know how to embed on my iPad.

Comment

They don't even have to assault someone to make my blood boil.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SGSrGmHsT8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Without video, this cop faced zero consequences. Thankfully a review board took care of this tool, though I think "stripped of his shield and gun, and will be placed on modified duty" isn't enough.

Cop who berated Uber driver is stripped of badge and gun | New York Post
        Last edited by Buster Bluth; 04-10-2015, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SGSrGmHsT8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Without video, this cop faced zero consequences. Thankfully a review board took care of this tool, though I think "stripped of his shield and gun, and will be placed on modified duty" isn't enough.

Whoa, the cop was so cheesed that a foreigner would honk at him while the cop was committing a moving violation. I hope that ticket was torn up.

Also, the cop totally looked like Hank in Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
            Figure we might as well get a thread going for all police shenanigans.

Virginia Police Caught Assaulting Teens, Video Deletion Fails

This was just linked to me. Happened in Virginia (and low & behold the victims were white for once) and it's a pretty jarring video.

Cops pull over teens for license plate light being out, then proceed to harass/assault them. The kids tried to do everything by the book knowing their rights and started recording the stop once it started taking a turn for the worst.

Not only did the cops brutalize the teens, but then they attempted to erase the incriminating video while throwing the book at them with made up charges of resisting arrest, assault of a police officer, etc. Sadly for them, they were too incompetent to permanently delete the video.

Also, their tasers apparently have "taser cams" that activate after use... so the department was already investigating, and now that there is more video hopefully they all lose their jobs and then some.

I don't think the cops did anything wrong in this one. I'm seventeen years old is not a reason to not comply with a police order.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishinSyria View Post
              I don't think the cops did anything wrong in this one. I'm seventeen years old is not a reason to not comply with a police order.
              Yeah that seems odd. However, the cops seemed to be overzealous with their use of force in order to seek compliance from nonviolent minors.

Comment

I'm not as up to date on this stuff as I should be but could it be that a minor, which he is at 17, is able to request that a parent or guardian be present before they are searched?

Regardless, getting pepper sprayed and tazed twice is way beyond anything the police should've done in that situation.

Comment

Sheriff Orders Immediate Internal Investigation Into Arrest Seen on "Disturbing" Video | NBC Southern California
                  Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

The Police Are America's Terrorists.

Don't dismiss this because of the title. Read it. There is a lot of interesting stuff in it.

Comment

Wow, that video got me fired up, especially the part where he is telling the driver how unimportant he is.

Comment

I think most people are grateful when the cops do their jobs and/or go above and beyond. I think most of us are unhappy when they shoot us, taze us, pepper spray us or get belligerent with the power their badge affords them.

This isn't a "F*ck the police" thread. If you don't believe that some of these videos are disturbing or represent a growing trend then I don't know what to tell you.

Police should be empowered to enforce the law. They should be monitored/videotaped to ensure they aren't abusing their power.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                          I think most people are grateful when the cops do their jobs and/or go above and beyond. I think most of us are unhappy when they shoot us, taze us, pepper spray us or get belligerent with the power their badge affords them.

This isn't a "F*ck the police" thread. If you don't believe that some of these videos are disturbing or represent a growing trend then I don't know what to tell you.

Police should be empowered to enforce the law. They should be monitored/videotaped to ensure they aren't abusing their power.
                          Fact is, they are paid to do their job. It isnt a volunteer position. While in my 42 years, Ive never met a good cop, Im sure somewhere they exist. Back in college when I competed in bodybuilding, I did a lot of bouncing at southside bars. A guy I knew who was also a bodybuilder got me my first bouncer job. Difference was that I just restrained fighters while he finished the fight for them with his fists. Same guy that also broke his girlfriends nose..twice..for messing around with him. Big time steroid user. Case in point, last I knew he was a city police officer.

But lets face it, police work is low paid work that carries high risk. Why would anyone do it? Because of the power trips. Because of the ability to be above the law until significant proof is gathered to prove beyond any shred of doubt that they arent. I watched that video of the cops wearing out the guy that stole the horse that they tased and had his arms behind his back while he was face first. The supervisor said he watched "part" of the video. Your employees are accused of this and you watched "part of it" and you are a supervisor???? He then followed with "IF any wrongdoing..." IF?????

Truly sad. But truly a worldwide problem. If you think America's cops are crooked, wait until you see Ukraine's (where my wife is from).

Comment

Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post

Is it a growing trend or are the bad apples being exposed more often b/c everyone is walking around with a video camera in their front pocket?

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman Ray View Post
                              Fact is, they are paid to do their job. It isnt a volunteer position. While in my 42 years, Ive never met a good cop, Im sure somewhere they exist. Back in college when I competed in bodybuilding, I did a lot of bouncing at southside bars. A guy I knew who was also a bodybuilder got me my first bouncer job. Difference was that I just restrained fighters while he finished the fight for them with his fists. Same guy that also broke his girlfriends nose..twice..for messing around with him. Big time steroid user. Case in point, last I knew he was a city police officer.

But lets face it, police work is low paid work that carries high risk. Why would anyone do it? Because of the power trips. Because of the ability to be above the law until significant proof is gathered to prove beyond any shred of doubt that they arent. I watched that video of the cops wearing out the guy that stole the horse that they tased and had his arms behind his back while he was face first. The supervisor said he watched "part" of the video. Your employees are accused of this and you watched "part of it" and you are a supervisor???? He then followed with "IF any wrongdoing..." IF?????

Truly sad. But truly a worldwide problem. If you think America's cops are crooked, wait until you see Ukraine's (where my wife is from).
                              picture of said mail ordered bride
                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                Is it a growing trend or are the bad apples being exposed more often b/c everyone is walking around with a video camera in their front pocket?
                                personally i think it is a combo of people feeling less respectful of authority in general and the addition of video camera's being on everyone

Comment

Perhaps the same reason(s) that people choose to serve their country by enlisting in the Armed Forces for miniscule pay and HUGE risk...

I would guess that you have met many good cops. It's my guess that the chip on your shoulder just kept you from seeing them.

Comment

These high adrenaline situations are extremely difficult. It can make people act in ways that they wouldn't otherwise. There's lots of research on the topic. For lack of a better link, here's a wikipedia entry.

High Speed Pursuit Syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm horrified by some of the videos I've seen. But I'm glad I don't have to make decisions in high pressure situations like these.

Comment

Being a cop isn't even in the top 10 of the most dangerous jobs in America, let alone a "high risk."

Roofing is more dangerous, ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishJayhawk View Post
                                        These high adrenaline situations are extremely difficult. It can make people act in ways that they wouldn't otherwise. There's lots of research on the topic. For lack of a better link, here's a wikipedia entry.

High Speed Pursuit Syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm horrified by some of the videos I've seen. But I'm glad I don't have to make decisions in high pressure situations like these.
                                        Couldn't one make the argument that when cops don't initially approach situations with a respectful demeanor they're escalating the situation and putting themselves in greater risk? Sheriff Badass is doing anyone any favors by going out of his way to be a prick.

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                          personally i think it is a combo of people feeling less respectful of authority in general and the addition of video camera's being on everyone
                                          Does this excuse the police altogether? That does not seem appropriate. This dude in SC didn't get shot eight times by a smart ass with a camera phone. It is ok to spread some blame around but surely cops are not faultless ... I hope I am misunderstanding your point.

Comment

The cops overstepped their authority, did not recognize the rights of those in the vehicle, and the person never "didn't comply"... and then they charged the person with crimes he didn't commit, and then tried to destroy evidence.

The bolded is what is really messed up. Excessive force is one thing... breaking the law by ignoring the rights of citizens is another... those can both be "mistakes." Charging someone with crimes that never happened and attempting to destroy evidence is flat out wrong.

Comment

I have plenty of respect for the police and the difficult job they do. But, the bad apple argument only gets you so far. When you encounter a bad apple plumber, your sink isn't fixed right. Bad apple mechanic, you have to pay someone else to fix your car again. Bad apple cop? Who might get wrongfully imprisoned or shot. So I can understand the heightened level of hand-wringing over bad cops. You only need to encounter one and your life could very well be over.

Comment

Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
                                                Does this excuse the police altogether? That does not seem appropriate. This dude in SC didn't get shot eight times by a smart ass with a camera phone. It is ok to spread some blame around but surely cops are not faultless ... I hope I am misunderstanding your point.
                                                yes u are but i am also not the best at explaining my thoughts--at least my wife says so ;)
                                                i am not dismissing that there bad cops...i was just saying about an increase in this kind of behavior by cops...kids/people are less "afraid" of giving cops attitude etc which the cop then uses excessive force

Comment

Couldn't one make the argument that when cops don't initially approach situations with a respectful demeanor they're escalating the situation and putting themselves in greater risk? Sheriff Badass is doing anyone any favors by going out of his way to be a prick.
                                                  Absolutely. I didn't think the cop in the most recent incident did that.

Comment

Some oldies but goodies... stop and frisk:
                                                    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7rWtDMPaRD8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Violating the rights of accused and attempting to intimidate a public defender before arresting the public defender on literally no grounds:
                                                    S.F. public defender detained outside court; office outraged - SFGate
                                                    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7qhzdxYnwhg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Absolutely there are bad cops and good cops, just like every other profession. What's happening though is that the acts of the good cops are being completely overshadowed by the acts of the bad cops. It's not fair to lump them all together.
                                                      60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

I've met plenty of good cops. The wholesale hand-wringing makes me believe you also have an axe to grind. It does neither side any good when people can't be objective from either side.

Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                        Point taken. I wasn't trying to imply this is a new development or only growing recently, just that we are seeing it more. Your point is a good one but not something I'm interested in. I simply want to see us continue to monitor everyone and stopping handing out free passes.

We are all judged in our job performances, there is no reason that POs shouldn't be judged as well. I know we have some POs here and I hope they know we aren't calling all cops "cowards hiding behind a badge". I think the majority of POs do their work in an honorable fashion but we hear about the bad apples much more now that we have so many ways of monitoring them.

Comment

yes u are but i am also not the best at explaining my thoughts--at least my wife says so ;)
                                                          i am not dismissing that there bad cops...i was just saying about an increase in this kind of behavior by cops...kids/people are less "afraid" of giving cops attitude etc which the cop then uses excessive force
                                                          Cops should be equipped to deal with a rise in "attitude" without resorting to violence because their authority is challenged. That is part of being a cop. Who protects citizens from them when they resort to criminal behavior? They voluntarily chose the profession and are being paid to diffuse these situations, not to escalate them. While there may be more attitude I would argue it often turns to chaos because of the actions of police. A buste tail light for instance should not be a capital offense, even in South Carolina.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                            Absolutely there are bad cops and good cops, just like every other profession. What's happening though is that the acts of the good cops are being completely overshadowed by the acts of the bad cops. It's not fair to lump them all together.
                                                            Yeah, but "good cops" should just be "cops." That's their job. When your job is to do the right thing, then it's not deserving of extra Brownie Points when they do their job. Same as in any profession. When I engineer a building and it stands up, no one goes "he's a 'good' engineer... unlike like those 'bad' engineers that keep having their buildings fall down and kill people... but don't worry it's only like 10% of buildings that are falling down, 90% are designed by the 'good' engineers so let's not worry about that 10%."

Hypothetical 'bad' engineers that don't follow code are not tolerated and go to jail. Same with 'bad' people in many professions where life safety or some sort of public trust is involved. The problem at hand is that it appears to the public that police are FAR more concerned with covering for the 'bad cops' than they are making them accountable for their actions. In the police stop I linked above where the cops try to destroy evidence, their supervisor is complicit in their actions.

I'm definitely not an "eff the police" kind of guy and have actually been on the opposite end of the spectrum for a lot of controversy. But I'm also getting to the point where I don't buy that it's just a few bad apples, it seems like a much more pervasive problem related to abuse of power and a lack of accountability.

Comment

This is a fair point. I would add that the same should hold true for African Americans and teens and all other groups of people. Predetermination is as big an issue as any other in these cases on both sides. Trust has been broken and sides have been chosen. We will fix excessive violence by police and perceptions of bad intent by those being approached by cops when we stop focusing on the symptoms and recognize and work to prevent the cause of this disease.

Comment

. When your job is to do the right thing, then it's not deserving of extra Brownie Points when they do their job. Same as in any profession.
                                                                What makes cops different than other professions, like say yours or mine, is that when they do good they do it while often risking their lives in the service of others... That's definitely deserving of brownie points imo. Agree with what else you said though, especially your second paragraph which seems to hit the nail on the head...

My personal experience ( unfortunately) matches others here in that it is overwhelmingly negative when it comes to law enforcement, something definately needs to be done.
                                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                  What makes cops different than other professions, like say yours or mine, is that when they do good they do it while often risking their lives in the service of others... That's definitely deserving of brownie points imo. Agree with what else you said though, especially your second paragraph which seems to hit the nail on the head...

My personal experience ( unfortunately) matches others here in that it is overwhelmingly negative when it comes to law enforcement, something definately needs to be done.
                                                                  My job is probably comparably dangerous* to being a cop. No italics.

*When I'm in the field, which is about half the time, obviously not when I'm in the office. Per the link above about "10 most dangerous jobs" construction is #10 and roofing is #4. Cop isn't even on there. For my current repair projects I'm engineering, 3 out of 4 involve some sort of roofing replacement or waterproofing and involve me hanging off buildings at times for inspection.
                                                                  Last edited by IrishLax; 04-10-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishJayhawk
                                                                    This is the tragedy to me. And corporate criminals can buy their way out of jail time. That's a massive flaw in the system.
                                                                    This is Ukraine justice defined. Everything is about bribery. Literly, get pulled over...pay the cop (right there) and no ticket. The police work with extremely small salaries so it is an unwritten expectation that they will make money from bribes. The judges? Oh wow 100% bribed. My wife knew a man who ran over someone on the street with the person dying and never served a day of jail. Family paid the judge and the victims family...went away.

Comment

I agree completely that this recent set of events has brought up a set of questions that have gone unanswered for as long as Law Enforcement has existed. To quote the greatest book ever published "to whom much is given, much will be required’ (Luke 12:48)", or Uncle Ben “With great power comes great responsibility.” War has been being waged on our streets between minority and authority forever, this is not new and only shows the ignorance and subtle nature of uninformed minds. Racism is woven into the fabric of our dna, Mass racial violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/6XGN2Bng2WYTK" width="480" height="234" frameBorder="0" style="max-width: 100%" class="giphy-embed" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
                                                                      I was smarter when I drank...
                                                                      I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

Officers in Vineland fatal arrest named by 'Anonymous'

The part where the officer wants the phone for 'evidence' is exactly what they do. I've been there and they don't like to be video'd if their actions are questionable. This camera on a cop thing is going to be interesting.
                                                                        Last edited by Circa; 04-10-2015, 12:37 PM.
                                                                        I was smarter when I drank...
                                                                        I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishJayhawk
                                                                          This is the tragedy to me. And corporate criminals can buy their way out of jail time. That's a massive flaw in the system.
                                                                          Agreed. It's heartbreaking and infuriating but this is capitalism. The dollar doth all things for which it's holders bid.

Comment

*When I'm in the field, which is about half the time, obviously not when I'm in the office. Per the link above about "10 most dangerous jobs" construction is #10 and roofing is #4. Cop isn't even on there. For my current repair projects I'm engineering, 3 out of 4 involve some sort of roofing replacement or waterproofing and involve me hanging off buildings at times for inspection.
                                                                            Kinda an aside to this conversation...

lots of dangerous jobs...the subject of the job normally does not pose an immanent threat to the rest of us if folks don't do them...

Yes a roof can collapse...among other things...but roofs don't stalk people, and roofs don't beat their children, and roofs don't evade your trained eye when you are inspecting, and roofs don't steal your shit. Roofs are taken for granted largely because they are predictable...if you maintain them, they do exactly what you expect. Criminals are pretty unpredictable and no amount of time honored engineering and technological advancement will help that...sorry shrinks.

Cops live in the space between us and a bunch of unpredictable shit, so I suppose thats why Danger, based on how many practitioners get maimed or killed may not be the best way to quantify why I value cops over other dangerous professions.
                                                                            One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

• #43
                                                                              Been thinking this for a while now. Respect in general for the law has diminished severely over the last 30-40 years. I'm an NWA fan, but let's be honest, the Fuck the Police mentality has been around for quite a while. The cops I know, whom I do respect tell me stories of idiots and gangbangers that would make your head spin. So the good ones have to put up with growing disrespect, while the bad cops getting video taped make it harder for the good ones to do their jobs. Pretty ugly circle. Body cams please.
                                                                              The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                              Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• #44
                                                                                Yeah, but "good cops" should just be "cops." That's their job. When your job is to do the right thing, then it's not deserving of extra Brownie Points when they do their job. Same as in any profession. When I engineer a building and it stands up, no one goes "he's a 'good' engineer... unlike like those 'bad' engineers that keep having their buildings fall down and kill people... but don't worry it's only like 10% of buildings that are falling down, 90% are designed by the 'good' engineers so let's not worry about that 10%."

Hypothetical 'bad' engineers that don't follow code are not tolerated and go to jail. Same with 'bad' people in many professions where life safety or some sort of public trust is involved. The problem at hand is that it appears to the public that police are FAR more concerned with covering for the 'bad cops' than they are making them accountable for their actions. In the police stop I linked above where the cops try to destroy evidence, their supervisor is complicit in their actions.

I'm definitely not an "eff the police" kind of guy and have actually been on the opposite end of the spectrum for a lot of controversy. But I'm also getting to the point where I don't buy that it's just a few bad apples, it seems like a much more pervasive problem related to abuse of power and a lack of accountability.
                                                                                Absolutely. Personally I'm not looking to be called a good cop, I'm just a cop. However I'm sick to death of people who know absolutely nothing about me nor what I have done in my career as a LEO lumping me into the "bad cop" group just because of the actions of a hand full of dip s***s.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                  For anyone that has time:

Cop in the Hood

It's a pretty interesting blog by a former officer (and I think some type of Psych training) in the Baltimore area that covers a bunch of the current National News dealing with the Police.

It deals with everything from Zimmerman, to Ferguson, to the events of the last week. It's some interesting stuff.

Comment

• #46

How many loggers, crab fisherman or recycle plant workers are there in comparrison to cops... Just sayin...

I'm all about working to improve law enforcement, but I think to say cops that do their jobs well aren't deserving of accolades and are just cops when part of their job includes saving life's and dodging bullets is not a step in the right direction... Just me.
                                                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                      Originally posted by Irishcop View Post
                                                                                      Absolutely. Personally I'm not looking to be called a good cop, I'm just a cop. However I'm sick to death of people who know absolutely nothing about me nor what I have done in my career as a LEO lumping me into the "bad cop" group just because of the actions of a hand full of dip s***s.
                                                                                      Personally, I want to thank you and your fellow officers for what you do. I know you guys get paid and it is your job to do this, but you had a choice of professions and you and your brothers go out there everyday to protect and serve.

I know there are those among your ranks that do the wrong thing, but I believe the large majority of you guys and gals try to do it right.

Stay safe, my friend
                                                                                      Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

• #48
                                                                                        Originally posted by Irishcop View Post
                                                                                        Part of this problem has to do with the perception that all cops protect bad cops no matter how bad their actions. My saying you do this but if all cops would weed out their own cancers this perception would die. I understand your annoyance but this perception is there for a reason and it stains all cops whether they are part of it or not. Good cops should have all the incentive they need to expose the ones who give them a bad name. But that does not seem to be how it works. These are decisions made by police not the policed.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                          Obviously having tech issues on my end...

Comment

• #50
                                                                                            Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                            Obviously having tech issues on my end...
                                                                                            The rare quadruple post.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                            Working...
                                                                                            X