X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Greenberg, a county tax collector in Florida, faces charges including sex trafficking of a minor, stalking, wire fraud and identity theft. He pleaded not guilty to those charges, but his lawyer and prosecutors told a judge at a hearing last month that Greenberg was expected to strike a plea deal.

Greenberg’s lawyer Fritz Scheller told reporters after that hearing, “I’m sure Matt Gaetz isn’t feeling very comfortable today.”

Scheller later said, “You’ve seen the number of stories out there and the emphasis is on their relationship. Isn’t it obvious to assume that he would be concerned?”

Ruh Roh

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    A change of plea hearing has been scheduled for Monday in federal court in the case of Joel Greenberg, the former Seminole County tax collector who resigned in disgrace last June.

Greenberg — who is required to attend the 10 a.m. hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge Leslie Hoffman — is expected to plead guilty to federal charges as part of an agreement with prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Cuomo's now under fire for using state funds and resources in writing his book. He denies it of course.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/n...stigation.html

I'm shocked the Dems aren't pushing to move on from him yet. The bully tactics must be strong or the Lt. Gov must be awful.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Cuomo's now under fire for using state funds and resources in writing his book. He denies it of course.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/n...stigation.html

ALBANY, N.Y. — The New York State attorney general has opened an investigation into Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s use of state resources as he wrote and promoted his recent pandemic memoir, the latest inquiry to engulf the embattled three-term Democrat.

The investigation followed disclosures that junior staff members and senior aides worked on Mr. Cuomo’s book, “American Crisis: Leadership Lessons from the Covid-19 Pandemic,” including editing early drafts, sitting in on pitch meetings, and menial tasks like printing and delivering manuscript pages to the governor’s mansion.

Mr. Cuomo has insisted that any work done by government employees on the book — which garnered a seven-figure advance — was voluntary, allowing that some minor work may have been “incidental.”

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Gaetz and Cuomo should both be gone, without question. There's too much smoke around Gaetz for him to be innocent, and Cuomo's deeds and cover up have been exposed for some time. If Al Franken can step down for groping women, these guys should be outta there.

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

He isn't capable of comprehending the difference between some mouthbreather raping a 7 year old and some dude doing whatever with a 17 year.

Both are bad. One is infinitely worse. But he was likely deprived of oxygen while his mother was birthing him so we should be kind.
    Hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied
    Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
    I don’t care about blood shoes. It’s stupid and won’t get my money, but well down the line in terms of care factor for me.

If Gaetz did wrong, punish him. I’m not seeing anyone dismiss it? Seemed like a bizarre set of allegations back and forth that will work itself out. Dems who are frustrated with Biden’s series of failures and spending plus the Cuomo implosion are trying to pounce, but I don’t see it being ignored like Cuomo.
    1. Stock market at all time high.
    2. Over 1/3rd of U.S. adults vaccinated.
    3. American Rescue Plan passed.

So much failure.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    I don’t care about blood shoes. It’s stupid and won’t get my money, but well down the line in terms of care factor for me.

If Gaetz did wrong, punish him. I’m not seeing anyone dismiss it? Seemed like a bizarre set of allegations back and forth that will work itself out. Dems who are frustrated with Biden’s series of failures and spending plus the Cuomo implosion are trying to pounce, but I don’t see it being ignored like Cuomo.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

You completely dismissed the part where I said hang him by his nuts if he had sex with a child. If he had sex with a 17 year old it's wrong, it's immoral, and I wouldn't do it. But there's a really wide gap between a 17 year old college senior turning 18 in June as opposed to a 14 year old who's a freshman in high school. Comprende?

As to Weiner, I'm well aware of his current situation. I was alluding to your selective outrage at similar circumstances depending on whether the creep has a D or R behind his name.

EDIT: You vote to give these scumbags (on both sides) more power and influence over our lives, and I vote in effort to limit their power and influence.
    He isn't capable of comprehending the difference between some mouthbreather raping a 7 year old and some dude doing whatever with a 17 year.

Both are bad. One is infinitely worse. But he was likely deprived of oxygen while his mother was birthing him so we should be kind.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...caid-expansion

Missouri voters overwhelmingly choose Donald Trump and Medicaid expansion in November.

This:

Rep. Cody Smith, the Republican chair of the House Budget Committee, separated the money for expansion into its own bill, which the GOP-controlled committee voted down in March.

On the floor of the House last week, Smith said, "Medicaid expansion is wrong for Missouri. I think it's wrong for the state budget.
    It's wrong even though the people voted for and wanted it.

Starting to see how this all works now. What really impresses me most is how these jokers keep getting voted into their seats.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post

Clutching pearls? Seriously? Gaetz is accused of having sex with a child. Meanwhile Republicans are losing their minds because Lil Nas X put a drop of blood in a shoe.

As to Anthony Weiner, his Wikipedia page reads that he is a “former politician and convicted sex offender.” Good. I look forward to the day when Matt Gaetz’s reads the same.
    You completely dismissed the part where I said hang him by his nuts if he had sex with a child. If he had sex with a 17 year old it's wrong, it's immoral, and I wouldn't do it. But there's a really wide gap between a 17 year old college senior turning 18 in June as opposed to a 14 year old who's a freshman in high school. Comprende?

As to Weiner, I'm well aware of his current situation. I was alluding to your selective outrage at similar circumstances depending on whether the creep has a D or R behind his name.

EDIT: You vote to give these scumbags (on both sides) more power and influence over our lives, and I vote in effort to limit their power and influence.
    Last edited by Polish Leppy 22; 04-08-2021, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    All three jackaloons running for school board did not make it. Two very good incumbents and one excellent newcomer (she got the most votes of anyone) are going through.

I will sleep relatively better.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

My condolences to your wife.
    Touche!

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

Everyone knows culture is in many ways upstream of politics. Liberal gaslighting on this is stupid. If you essentially ban a book because its bad and racist, and the other side diverts attention and says "wtf are you doing? This is basically bookburning." You can't say "wow you guys are focused on this instead of real issues. This shows where the GOP is today!"

The GOP ain't perfect and has some work to do before 2022 and 2024, but pushing back on the Dr. Seuss thing is not any sort of evidence of that.

Again, not sure I'd even call the rapper thing a controversy. Was a much bigger deal to the media than it was to the GOP. I saw a ton of, "wow the GOP is so worked up about Lil Nas X!!" tweets/articles while seeing maybe a handful of people worked up about it.

Where do you live by chance?
    Most Republicans I talk to and hear in the legislator forums, meetups, and PAC talks are pissed about baseball, outraged at IA-02 attempted theft and far more worried about prioritizing unions over kids in re-opening schools, blue state job loss from unnecessarily harsh COVID policies, tax rises, 2A concerns, Democratic shopping sprees disguised as relief and infrastructure, hyperinflation, Biden Border Crisis, cancel culture, and our freedoms being in jeopardy. This is the kind of stuff that I hope makes for a good night in Nov’ 22 and President Ronny D in 2024.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Sorry I don’t put much stock in your anecdotal opinion about what conversations are (or aren’t) happening in bars and diners across North Dakota. There’s hard data to show that the GOP is focusing its energy on increasingly stupid cultural issues at the expense of any real governing philosophy. For example, a recent Morning Consult poll showed more Republicans had heard ‘a lot’ about Dr. Seuss in recent weeks than the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan. I’m not sure what controversy is dumber—Dr. Seuss or Lil Nas X—but the recent actions of GOP leadership and the right wing media suggest that these absurd wedge issues are what’s driving the Republican base in 2021.

Everyone knows culture is in many ways upstream of politics. Liberal gaslighting on this is stupid. If you essentially ban a book because its bad and racist, and the other side diverts attention and says "wtf are you doing? This is basically bookburning." You can't say "wow you guys are focused on this instead of real issues. This shows where the GOP is today!"

The GOP ain't perfect and has some work to do before 2022 and 2024, but pushing back on the Dr. Seuss thing is not any sort of evidence of that.

Again, not sure I'd even call the rapper thing a controversy. Was a much bigger deal to the media than it was to the GOP. I saw a ton of, "wow the GOP is so worked up about Lil Nas X!!" tweets/articles while seeing maybe a handful of people worked up about it.

Where do you live by chance?

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

Just to be clear, you believe that Andrew Cuomo should resign immediately before the investigation into his alleged sexual harassment of adults plays out (see your posts from three weeks ago). Conversely, we should all reserve judgment on the allegations that Matt Gaetz had sex with a child despite the fact that Gaetz’s close associate has already been indicted for sex trafficking, the investigation was launched by Trump’s DOJ, and no one in Trump’s orbit outside of Jim Jordan and MTG has come out to defend Gaetz.

You also think that having sex with children is “weird,” and that Democrats are hypocrites for believing that Hunter Biden was the subject of a Russian disinformation campaign when our own intelligence services determined that Hunter Biden was the subject of a Russian disinformation campaign. Meanwhile, you would have us believe that you are a paragon of ideological consistency despite your lame efforts to run interference for a child predator.

Do I have all that straight?
    Cuomo should resign immediately. He’s had a gaggle of credible accusers, but more importantly he has actively covered up nursing home deaths for political purposes. This is why he should have been out long ago.

The press is more focused in blatantly false hit pieces on the Florida Governor for not covering up deaths and vaccinating elderly people.

The Gaetz thing is being investigated but his argument is this stuff about extortion, which seems unlikely at this point but maybe there’s some stuff true on both sides? If there’s credible evidence then he should step away, but I haven’t been focused on this like left wing press. I doubt they let it go like Northam, Menendez, Cuomo, etc. People who defend or don’t defend him doesn’t matter.

The Hunter thing is playing out perfectly. Every former intelligence official who signed the partisan purposes memo should be forever ignored as hacks. Big tech should be held accountable for their role in the coverup. The censorship and coverup of the Hunter story is still incredibly significant and it had real pics, docs, emails, evidence and why people defend this crap when he can’t remember knocking up strippers while snorting Parmesan cheese is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• Ndaccountant
    replied

Sorry I don’t put much stock in your anecdotal opinion about what conversations are (or aren’t) happening in bars and diners across North Dakota. There’s hard data to show that the GOP is focusing its energy on increasingly stupid cultural issues at the expense of any real governing philosophy. For example, a recent Morning Consult poll showed more Republicans had heard ‘a lot’ about Dr. Seuss in recent weeks than the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan. I’m not sure what controversy is dumber—Dr. Seuss or Lil Nas X—but the recent actions of GOP leadership and the right wing media suggest that these absurd wedge issues are what’s driving the Republican base in 2021.
    US culture has incentivized outrage. Whether it's "like" button, page click counters or "followers", people are compelled to be outraged. It draws attention to themselves and it makes them feel as if someone else is the cause of their problems. So much easier to blame XYZ than to take account for your own actions. People are drawn to it, so of course politicians do it. It gets their name in the "news". There are dozens of politicians who have mastered this art and have made a lifetime full of riches off of it. The minority party is even more incentivized to do this now. Unfortunately, elections are won by "enthusiasm". What is really going to get people out to vote? The fact that the "other side" is going make your life a complete living hell vs. the merits of accelerated depreciation for corporate taxation? Sadly, for far too many Americans, it's the former, which drives the behavior of everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

You remind me of my wife sometimes. You can be in complete agreement, but still want to argue because you say potato and I say potato.
    My condolences to your wife.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Did y’all see Biden is going back to building some border wall?

Mr. Immigration Policy himself who criticized Trump for building walls and it being a symbol of his inability to develop immigration policy is scrambling to control his Biden Border Crisis.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

You remind me of my wife sometimes. You can be in complete agreement, but still want to argue because you say potato and I say potato.

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied

And yes, Gaetz allegedly having sex with a 17 year old is bad. Nobody has suggested otherwise as far as I have seen. If he did it, slap a sex offender label on him or whatever. Hard to have much sympathy for a guy his age and occupation doing something like that.

I live in deep culturally red country and haven't observed anyone in some panic about blood shoes or sodomizing Satan in a music video. Has it happened? Sure. I think i saw some cringey Kristi Noem Facebook post about it.. But its certainly not this large-scale panic being discussed at bars and breakfast diners. Frankly, 85% of the people here probably don't know who he is outside of the catchy old town road song.

Seems like one of those things where the social media/journalist reaction far outweighs the reality on the ground.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Clutching pearls? Seriously? Gaetz is accused of having sex with a child. Meanwhile Republicans are losing their minds because Lil Nas X put a drop of blood in a shoe.

As to Anthony Weiner, his Wikipedia page reads that he is a “former politician and convicted sex offender.” Good. I look forward to the day when Matt Gaetz’s reads the same.
    And yes, Gaetz allegedly having sex with a 17 year old is bad. Nobody has suggested otherwise as far as I have seen. If he did it, slap a sex offender label on him or whatever. Hard to have much sympathy for a guy his age and occupation doing something like that.

I live in deep culturally red country and haven't observed anyone in some panic about blood shoes or sodomizing Satan in a music video. Has it happened? Sure. I think i saw some cringey Kristi Noem Facebook post about it.. But its certainly not this large-scale panic being discussed at bars and breakfast diners. Frankly, 85% of the people here probably don't know who he is outside of the catchy old town road song.

Seems like one of those things where the social media/journalist reaction far outweighs the reality on the ground.

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied

Party of Family Values! Grooming is totally ok and not an issue.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied
    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

It's creepy, it's immoral, and I wouldn't do it but as Dakota said, a 17 year old girl who's a month away from 18 doesn't get pedophile status. If she is 14, hang him from his ballsack for all I care. Truth will eventually come out on that one.

Were you clutching your pearls and slamming tables when Anthony Weiner was sending nude texts to underage girls? I don't remember.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied

A 36 year old man who has sex with a 17 year old girl is a pedophile. Full stop.
    It's creepy, it's immoral, and I wouldn't do it but as Dakota said, a 17 year old girl who's a month away from 18 doesn't get pedophile status. If she is 14, hang him from his ballsack for all I care. Truth will eventually come out on that one.

Were you clutching your pearls and slamming tables when Anthony Weiner was sending nude texts to underage girls? I don't remember.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by JurDocDuLac View Post

I guess thatīs a psychiatry discussion.
    Legally, though, p
    erhaps not a pedophile technically, but a convicted sex offender (raping a minor)?
    Thatīs an uncomfortable label too, especially when you have to tell all the neighbors.

If she was 17, it doesnīt matter if she consented (or prostituted herself).
    The age of consent in Florida is 18 (the exception is minors 16/17 can consent to intercourse with anyone up to age 24).
    It is serious crime for an adult to have sex with someone younger than 18, even if the sex is consensual.

Of course, thatīs a State issue, not federal, and he is under federal investigation, not (yet) state investigation.

If you want to be technical, then look at federal trafficking charges.
    Federal law requires force, fraud, or coercion to lure victims into commercial sexual exploitation.
    Not so sure about those elements here (maybe conspiracy?).
    I dont think state or federal laws use the term pedophile, but I haven't dug into many.

I wouldnt want to be in his shoes with or without the pedophile label, and like you said, you can still get that sex offender label which would not be fun to have either.

Yeah I'm sure the lawyers will get it all sorted out. My sticking point is labeling people pedophiles when their alleged actions don't seem to meet the scientific or moral standard.

If a guy brings home a girl from a nightclub who he thinks is in her early-mid 20's, only to find out the next day that she is 17, I don't think it would be fair to label the dude a pedophile.

Can't stress enough, none of this is a defense of Gaetz if he did what he allegedly did. Hiring prostitutes is morally and legally wrong. Sleeping with (potentially paying, etc.) a high school jr/sr aged girl is morally and legally wrong.

pedophiles are into kids. Its messed up. i don't understand and have no desire to really understand them. But basic basic reading seems to indicate the cutoff is being into children up to the age of around 13. Michael Jackson type stuff.

Leave a comment:

• JurDocDuLac
    replied

Take it up with the folks who put together the DSM.
    If you want to say a 36 year old sleeping with a typical post-pubescent 17 year old is morally and in many cases probably legally wrong, I'm 100% with you. But that isn't a pedophile. Manipulative, wrong, creepy, abusive? Yep. Pedophile, no.
    I guess thatīs a psychiatry discussion.
    Legally, though, p
    erhaps not a pedophile technically, but a convicted sex offender (raping a minor)?
    Thatīs an uncomfortable label too, especially when you have to tell all the neighbors.

If she was 17, it doesnīt matter if she consented (or prostituted herself).
    The age of consent in Florida is 18 (the exception is minors 16/17 can consent to intercourse with anyone up to age 24).
    It is serious crime for an adult to have sex with someone younger than 18, even if the sex is consensual.

Of course, thatīs a State issue, not federal, and he is under federal investigation, not (yet) state investigation.

If you want to be technical, then look at federal trafficking charges.
    Federal law requires force, fraud, or coercion to lure victims into commercial sexual exploitation.
    Not so sure about those elements here (maybe conspiracy?).

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

A 36 year old man who has sex with a 17 year old girl is a pedophile. Full stop.
    Take it up with the folks who put together the DSM.

If a girl is 17 years and 364 days old...he is a pedophile. But if he has sex with her the following day, he's not? Lol.

If you want to say a 36 year old sleeping with a typical post-pubescent 17 year old is morally and in many cases probably legally wrong, I'm 100% with you. But that isn't a pedophile. Manipulative, wrong, creepy, abusive? Yep. Pedophile, no.

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied

Who dismissed it? Did a single person here dismiss it? Even one? Can you point to a post by anyone?

The DSM-5 apparently(wikipedia) says to be a pedophile you must be attracted to pre-pubescent children. I dont think a 17-year old generally falls into that category. Its still abusive, beyond creepy, and unacceptable, but I'm not going to call someone a pedophile for getting with a 17 year old.

If someone says "Jimbo over there, he's a pedophile." You arent going to assume he got with a 17 year old. You'll assume he was doing God knows what with elementary aged kids.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Dramatic, eh? That’s rich coming from the people who acted like the world was going to end because Dr. Seuss stopped publishing a few books. But when one of your own is accused of pedophilia, it’s dismissed as a “weird” story and Gaetz—who was a MAGA favorite two weeks ago—is now a “clown.”

Also, did you just use the phrase “smashed a 17 years old?” Gross.
    Who dismissed it? Did a single person here dismiss it? Even one? Can you point to a post by anyone?

The DSM-5 apparently(wikipedia) says to be a pedophile you must be attracted to pre-pubescent children. I dont think a 17-year old generally falls into that category. Its still abusive, beyond creepy, and unacceptable, but I'm not going to call someone a pedophile for getting with a 17 year old.

If someone says "Jimbo over there, he's a pedophile." You arent going to assume he got with a 17 year old. You'll assume he was doing God knows what with elementary aged kids.

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied

Lol. This is very dramatic. The story is indeed very weird, bizarre, extraordinary.

It reminds me of them wild Grey's Anatomy episode arcs where there is an active shooter, an experimental surgery, and oh, the person on the operating table is Jehovah's Witness so they can't take a blood transfusion.. and all of the things are related. It's a wild story.

If the dude smashed a 17 year old, he should be held accountable and nobody is probably gonna bat an eye. If the dude smashed prostitutes, he should be held accountable.

How is he running interference for a predator?

Cuomo should resign after their reports are complete if there is much substance to the allegations. I don't think his deal and Gaetz's deal are directly on point, but I don't disagree people should have similar expectations. Cuomo's sexual allegations don't seem like they rise to the level where he should be facing jail time, but his efforts to lie about what happened with the elderly might rise to that level. Gaetz.....man.....if any of it is true, he is in a bind.

I have zero sympathy for either of them. Cuomo is an ass and Gaetz is a clown.
    Dramatic, eh? That’s rich coming from the people who acted like the world was going to end because Dr. Seuss stopped publishing a few books. But when one of your own is accused of pedophilia, it’s dismissed as a “weird” story and Gaetz—who was a MAGA favorite two weeks ago—is now a “clown.”

Also, did you just use the phrase “smashed a 17 years old?” Gross.

Leave a comment:

• Redbar
    replied

Lol. This is very dramatic. The story is indeed very weird, bizarre, extraordinary.
    it is also very true. Does that make drayer a drama queen?

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

Just to be clear, you believe that Andrew Cuomo should resign immediately before the investigation into his alleged sexual harassment of adults plays out (see your posts from three weeks ago). Conversely, we should all reserve judgment on the allegations that Matt Gaetz had sex with a child despite the fact that Gaetz’s close associate has already been indicted for sex trafficking, the investigation was launched by Trump’s DOJ, and no one in Trump’s orbit outside of Jim Jordan and MTG has come out to defend Gaetz.

You also think that having sex with children is “weird,” and that Democrats are hypocrites for believing that Hunter Biden was the subject of a Russian disinformation campaign when our own intelligence services determined that Hunter Biden was the subject of a Russian disinformation campaign. Meanwhile, you would have us believe that you are a paragon of ideological consistency despite your lame efforts to run interference for a child predator.

It reminds me of them wild Grey's Anatomy episode arcs where there is an active shooter, an experimental surgery, and oh, the person on the operating table is Jehovah's Witness so they can't take a blood transfusion.. and all of the things are related. It's a wild story.

If the dude smashed a 17 year old, he should be held accountable and nobody is probably gonna bat an eye. If the dude smashed prostitutes, he should be held accountable.

How is he running interference for a predator?

Cuomo should resign after their reports are complete if there is much substance to the allegations. I don't think his deal and Gaetz's deal are directly on point, but I don't disagree people should have similar expectations. Cuomo's sexual allegations don't seem like they rise to the level where he should be facing jail time, but his efforts to lie about what happened with the elderly might rise to that level. Gaetz.....man.....if any of it is true, he is in a bind.

I have zero sympathy for either of them. Cuomo is an ass and Gaetz is a clown.
    Last edited by NorthDakota; 04-06-2021, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• longliveautrydenson
    replied
    Originally posted by drayer54 View Post

The Gaetz thing is weird. It needs time to play out, because the truth probably won’t come out for awhile. In the meantime, we should label all criticism as Russian disinformation and block coverage/ censor the story on all platforms. If he chooses to write a book about paying for sex and snorting Parmesan cheese in 6 months, let the story trickle out.

Last edited by longliveautrydenson; 04-06-2021, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

Has anyone notable other than Gaetz suggested it is a big conspiracy?

If you are referring to the extortion stuff, the fact that he's a "scumbag" makes it more likely rather than less likely, that there could be extortion.

both things could be true. Both could be false. And each can be true independent of the other.
    The Gaetz thing is weird. It needs time to play out, because the truth probably won’t come out for awhile. In the meantime, we should label all criticism as Russian disinformation and block coverage/ censor the story on all platforms. If he chooses to write a book about paying for sex and snorting Parmesan cheese in 6 months, let the story trickle out.

Leave a comment:

• Ndaccountant
    replied
    Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

Interesting concept but seemingly impossible. Countries that serve as tax havens are completely controlled - politically, culturally etc - by these corporations. Even if you penetrated that barrier, you hvae to convince the country that financial suicide is in their best interest. Ireland would be financially set back a hundred years if they weren't able to serve their corporate masters. You could argue that may be a good thing long term but the short term consequences are going to terrify the people dependent on the existing system.
    Exactly. If I were Janet Yellen, I would say the same thing. It's an idea that wholly favors the US. Remember, the current system the US has basically mimics a "global minimum" on US based corporations. While to some that may seem uncompetitive, it's actually significantly better than what system was in place prior to the Trump tax cuts. People focus on the reduction in tax rate. That is true. But what they don't mention often is how that completely transformed the US from one of the worst tax logic/structure (residence based) to something much closer to the modern age. So in that regard, the structure of the system if really no considerably different than the rest of the world.

Here is the kicker though (to put it simplistically)......the way the US applies their tax logic on "global minimum" tax to US based corporations limited the benefit of moving to certain low rate countries. There is still a benefit, sure. But the combination of 21% and the global minimum has put the US in a very competitive spot. The only way to not unwind that with increases to, say, 28%, is to ensure that the "global minimum" allows the US to raise taxes without consequences. So in other words....the US is clanking the proverbial tin cup at the feet of other OECD countries asking for help. I would tell Yellen to piss off.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    There's no conspiracy. The guy is just a fucking scumbag.

Majorie Taylor Greene scrubbed all her social media of anything with Gaetz in it. That's how toxic he is. The loon of all loons cleaned up her Twitter timeline so she wouldn't be seen in pics with him or mentioning him.

Ouch.
    Has anyone notable other than Gaetz suggested it is a big conspiracy?

If you are referring to the extortion stuff, the fact that he's a "scumbag" makes it more likely rather than less likely, that there could be extortion.

both things could be true. Both could be false. And each can be true independent of the other.

Leave a comment:

• Wild Bill
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

This is very smart and it should've been done 20-30 years ago while the United States still had the influence to do it. With fractured alliances, pulling out of the TPP, etc. it's going to be much harder to leverage something like this.
    Interesting concept but seemingly impossible. Countries that serve as tax havens are completely controlled - politically, culturally etc - by these corporations. Even if you penetrated that barrier, you hvae to convince the country that financial suicide is in their best interest. Ireland would be financially set back a hundred years if they weren't able to serve their corporate masters. You could argue that may be a good thing long term but the short term consequences are going to terrify the people dependent on the existing system.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    There's no conspiracy. The guy is just a fucking scumbag.

Majorie Taylor Greene scrubbed all her social media of anything with Gaetz in it. That's how toxic he is. The loon of all loons cleaned up her Twitter timeline so she wouldn't be seen in pics with him or mentioning him.

Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied

This is very smart and it should've been done 20-30 years ago while the United States still had the influence to do it. With fractured alliances, pulling out of the TPP, etc. it's going to be much harder to leverage something like this.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Where did our guy Arahop disappear to? Been a slow week for white supremacy following the shooter in Colorado and the guy at the capitol yesterday in DC.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    Has the FBI or anyone else in the government validated the extortion claims? Has he had charges pressed against him? The whole thing is weird.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied

He also:
    -Weirdly went on record saying he didn't want Epstein re-investigated and prosecuted
    -Was the lone vote against a bipartisan federal sex trafficking law
    -Has a relationship with a live-in teenager who he calls his "son" but isn't related to him and whose father is still alive
    -Is a criminal

So even before these allegations broke, if someone came up to you and said "I'll give you $1000 if you can guess a Congressman engaged in illegal sex stuff" you'd probably pick someone like Gaetz just based on all the other strange shit he's said or been engaged in.
    The kid thing is strange. I dont know the full deal there. Could ask my old coworker. She hates the guy but has never said anything negative about him taking the kid into his home. I'll try to be open-minded on that.

But yeah, he's precisely the type of guy you'd expect to be into weird stuff. Floridian, male, lifelong politician, weird guy.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied
    Each update in the Gaetz thing gets more bizarre.

Allegedly showing nudes of recent conquests on the house floor. Apparently economy sized box of condoms in his office trash. Paying women via venmo/cash app/apple pay to smash in Florida. The weird interview that even made Tucker go wtf.

Seems entirely plausible that he's telling the truth about being extorted.... while also being guilty of at least some or possibly most/all of the allegations.

Thank God he's in one of the more red districts in the country. Hopefully he's replaced by a better person.
    He also:
    -Weirdly went on record saying he didn't want Epstein re-investigated and prosecuted
    -Was the lone vote against a bipartisan federal sex trafficking law
    -Has a relationship with a live-in teenager who he calls his "son" but isn't related to him and whose father is still alive
    -Is a criminal

So even before these allegations broke, if someone came up to you and said "I'll give you $1000 if you can guess a Congressman engaged in illegal sex stuff" you'd probably pick someone like Gaetz just based on all the other strange shit he's said or been engaged in.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Each update in the Gaetz thing gets more bizarre.

Allegedly showing nudes of recent conquests on the house floor. Apparently economy sized box of condoms in his office trash. Paying women via venmo/cash app/apple pay to smash in Florida. The weird interview that even made Tucker go wtf.

Seems entirely plausible that he's telling the truth about being extorted.... while also being guilty of at least some or possibly most/all of the allegations.

Thank God he's in one of the more red districts in the country. Hopefully he's replaced by a better person.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied
    I dont like Gaetz. I want that clear. He ain't my guy. Used to live in this district though.

One of my old co-workers grew up with him. She doesn't like him, said he was a sleezy guy. infamous Nestor is her kid's friend. This lady is center-left.

She was a bit skeptical. In her words, "he's a prime target."

I won't be surprised with whatever comes out of this. I cant really lose here. Either we get rid of a guy in the party I dont like, or the media gets punked. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it, but after the Bob Menendez shit, I'm not confident.
    He named David McGee as the former prosecutor doing the extortion and going after him. He also says the FBI have tapes that will clear him.
    "That was one of the weirdest interviews I have ever conducted" said Tucker after the commercial break.

I don’t care for tv Gaetz as he seems more like a brand than someone trying to move the needle for conservatives. It seems like many of the younger Reps are more about messaging than accomplishments.

I’ve heard him offline a few times and actually liked him more in normal settings.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Gaetz, suspiciously, was the only person to vote against a 2017 sex trafficking bill.
    I wonder if he was ever on Epstein's private jet?

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    I dont like Gaetz. I want that clear. He ain't my guy. Used to live in this district though.

One of my old co-workers grew up with him. She doesn't like him, said he was a sleezy guy. infamous Nestor is her kid's friend. This lady is center-left.

She was a bit skeptical. In her words, "he's a prime target."

I won't be surprised with whatever comes out of this. I cant really lose here. Either we get rid of a guy in the party I dont like, or the media gets punked. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it, but after the Bob Menendez shit, I'm not confident.

Leave a comment:

• drayer54
    replied

No evidence whatsoever. It’s just a big set up. My sources are saying Dr. Fauci, Chrissy Teigen, Bill Gates, and Mr. Potato Head are all in on it. I’ve also seen reports that Antifa took the form of a 17 year old girl and seduced Gaetz at an album burning for Lil Nas X. Gaetz may have also been under the influence of an RNA vaccine at the time. One of the side effects is that it turns you into a pedophile.
    Gaetz says this is an extortion effort directed at his family with an ongoing FBI investigation into the demands. If true, this is wholly irresponsible of the New York Times. I expect more to come out soon, but this explanation appears to be the most accurate so far.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X