COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    A Walgreens in North Carolina injected saline instead of the vaccine. How does something like that get screwed up?
    probably a unc athlete who took fake classes
    Prehistoric

Comment

• Heard on the news that the number of COVID cases overseas is rising at a substantial rate. Daily numbers are equaling numbers from last year when it soared.

Comment

Heard on the news that the number of COVID cases overseas is rising at a substantial rate. Daily numbers are equaling numbers from last year when it soared.
        Pretty much decreasing everywhere besides India where the increase has been kinda insane. From 15K daily cases in early March to 294K new cases yesterday. This https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../#weekly_table details it pretty well. India has added 660K more cases the last 7 days than they did the previous 7. The world has added 585K more cases so if you exclude India, decent overall WoW decrease.

Cases a little up in Germany and France, but decreasing everywhere else in Europe.

Cases are going to plummet here the next 2-3 weeks as the Northeast and upper Midwest are going to starting to decrease again. Current 7 day average is 67K. Wouldn't be surprised if it's under 50K by May.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

Pretty much decreasing everywhere besides India where the increase has been kinda insane. From 15K daily cases in early March to 294K new cases yesterday. This https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../#weekly_table details it pretty well. India has added 660K more cases the last 7 days than they did the previous 7. The world has added 585K more cases so if you exclude India, decent overall WoW decrease.

Cases a little up in Germany and France, but decreasing everywhere else in Europe.

Cases are going to plummet here the next 2-3 weeks as the Northeast and upper Midwest are going to starting to decrease again. Current 7 day average is 67K. Wouldn't be surprised if it's under 50K by May.
          We're getting field hospitals built up here, and there is talk of a curfew being put into place. Things are going swimmingly lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

We're getting field hospitals built up here, and there is talk of a curfew being put into place. Things are going swimmingly lol.
            And you canceled golf!

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

And you canceled golf!
              I truly can't believe that actually happened lol

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

I obviously don't follow Canada COVID metrics that closely, but is it really that bad? It looks like they've plateaued at a fairly low level or maybe started declining. Are most seniors not vaccinated yet?

Comment

• This is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. I don't know how opinions on the virus range from batshit crazy takes like this to batshit crazy takes like the vaccines have tracking devices in them.

Comment

I obviously don't follow Canada COVID metrics that closely, but is it really that bad? It looks like they've plateaued at a fairly low level or maybe started declining. Are most seniors not vaccinated yet?
                    In Ontario we had 8,500 cases a couple days ago. Which is like 3.5 times that of California, 2 times of Texas, and slightly higher than both Florida/New York. This is with much stricter restrictions.

The vaccinations have actually picked up considerably and we're in top 5 for per 100 vaccinations per day. The issue is the manufacturing workers and retail staff are getting decimated by it.

Apparently Doug Ford thinks golf courses should be closed, but professional service offices are A-OK for people to work in.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

This is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. I don't know how opinions on the virus range from batshit crazy takes like this to batshit crazy takes like the vaccines have tracking devices in them.
                      I suspect Mother will still be hesitant to let them visit even after the kids get their shots.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                          Good news. Now only if they fix their manufacturing issues.
                          Sounds like this frees up 9MM doses already in states’ hands.

Comment

• India is totally fucked right now.

Domestically, we're nearing 30% of the population vaccinated and we're at 10x the vaccination rate of Canada so there are reasons to be optimistic. However, looking at polling data and trends, it appears that vaccine hesitancy from certain demographics may stop the final vaccination rate of adults from topping 60% which is discouraging.

Comment

India is totally fucked right now.

Domestically, we're nearing 30% of the population vaccinated and we're at 10x the vaccination rate of Canada so there are reasons to be optimistic. However, looking at polling data and trends, it appears that vaccine hesitancy from certain demographics may stop the final vaccination rate of adults from topping 60% which is discouraging.
                              Maybe. I’m hopeful that Americans get past that. We can all only speak anecdotally, but I haven’t heard much push back against the vaccine regardless of political stripe, age, culture, etc.

Comment

I think 60% of the population is prob about right but what’s that mean, about 75% of adults?

Most the northeast and west coast I would be surprised if they don’t reach at least 75% eventually climbing close to 90 by end of summer for adults. By end of weekend we will be around 65% of adults with at least 1 shot here in NJ.

I’d imagine we have much more natural immunity here especially in the more hesitant states than a place like Israel. Israel at 60% has gotten it down to a handful of cases, hopefully that’s our reality by June.

Comment

• By mid summer it'll be regularly approved and EUA for 12 plus. Based on polling 30 to 40% will vaccinate their kids off the bat and I bet mandatory vaccines at work/school will increase the adult rate significantly before next winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by PerthDomer View Post
                                    By mid summer it'll be regularly approved and EUA for 12 plus. Based on polling 30 to 40% will vaccinate their kids off the bat and I bet mandatory vaccines at work/school will increase the adult rate significantly before next winter.
                                    Just my 2 cents but I don't see mandatory vaccinations being that widespread. Just my instinct but I think Americans across the board are tired of being ordered around with all of these restrictions for the past year, even if it was for a good reason. There are so many objections to mandatory vaccinations (e.g. religious reasons, basic freedom of choice) not to mention the potential backlash of it becoming a class & race privilege issue. It's another explosive issue on top of so much other unrest out there. Strong encouragement with good information is the smart play; forcing things on people will cause more problems then it solves in my opinion.

Comment

• Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Irish View Post

Just my 2 cents but I don't see mandatory vaccinations being that widespread. Just my instinct but I think Americans across the board are tired of being ordered around with all of these restrictions for the past year, even if it was for a good reason. There are so many objections to mandatory vaccinations (e.g. religious reasons, basic freedom of choice) not to mention the potential backlash of it becoming a class & race privilege issue. It's another explosive issue on top of so much other unrest out there. Strong encouragement with good information is the smart play; forcing things on people will cause more problems then it solves in my opinion.
                                        It'll be most of higher ed and healthcare as well as the military which contains a lot of young unvaccinated (which is the norm for standard vaccines). Once it's fully approved and normalized/convenient/incentivised by workplaces and insurance companies the uptake will go up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Irish View Post

What last year showed is insisting on absolute freedom leads to loss of freedom. See south korea/vietnam/australia. Doing good public health w a strong shut down led to way more open countries after a bad 1 or 2 months. Similar for the vaccine. Everyone getting shots increases everyone's freedom.

My girlfriend's dad has said until it's required he sees it as experimental and won't get it. We'll see a lot of that.

Comment

You're always going to have that percentage (whatever that is) that will not get the vaccine for a variety of reasons.

Comment

It'll be most of higher ed and healthcare as well as the military which contains a lot of young unvaccinated (which is the norm for standard vaccines). Once it's fully approved and normalized/convenient/incentivised by workplaces and insurance companies the uptake will go up.
                                              I tend to agree with Black Irish. It's already free and convenient and it seems it's normalized given the number that have received the vaccine. As I mentioned in my post above, you're going to have a certain percentage that are not going to get the vaccine regardless and the government can't force someone to get the vaccine. Now that the vaccine is open to anyone, I don't see the numbers rising significantly.

Comment

• I have no interest in getting the vaccine. Nothing against them, but if you're vitamin D sufficient you've already reduced your potential symptoms by 90%, and your chance of hospitalization. 96% of COVID ICU patients were D deficient. Plus Vitamin D protects across all variants of COVID, FLU, virus, etc. If you don't think they're going to convince you you need a new shot for the new strand each year when it comes out, you're not looking ahead. When no one in my family is personally worried about COVID and Vitamin D pill can do what the vaccine can, what's the point? My immune system is here for a reason, and COVID just isn't as scary as they've made it seem with their infinite advertising.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                                                  I have no interest in getting the vaccine. Nothing against them, but if you're vitamin D sufficient you've already reduced your potential symptoms by 90%, and your chance of hospitalization. 96% of COVID ICU patients were D deficient. Plus Vitamin D protects across all variants of COVID, FLU, virus, etc. If you don't think they're going to convince you you need a new shot for the new strand each year when it comes out, you're not looking ahead. When no one in my family is personally worried about COVID and Vitamin D pill can do what the vaccine can, what's the point? My immune system is here for a reason, and COVID just isn't as scary as they've made it seem with their infinite advertising.
                                                  See India. That's a country free of metabolic syndrome with infinite sunshine (vitamin D). Proponents of natural health and whatnot used to point to india as a sign we all needed to just be healthy. Before the advent of vaccines and antibiotics pathogens tore through healthy people and lead to a lot of morbidity and mortality.

By getting vaccinated you're protecting yourself against hospitalization and long covid. You're protecting others from our current brand of covid and more importantly reducing the risk of a catastrophic new variant.

Comment

I tend to agree with Black Irish. It's already free and convenient and it seems it's normalized given the number that have received the vaccine. As I mentioned in my post above, you're going to have a certain percentage that are not going to get the vaccine regardless and the government can't force someone to get the vaccine. Now that the vaccine is open to anyone, I don't see the numbers rising significantly.
                                                    The industries that always require vaccines will require them... not really controversial. If 5 or 10% choose not to get it no biggie. If 30 percent choose not to that's really bad. I'm not sure if spread dynamics get there this year. But the first viral season with really open international travel is going to have a wicked viral season. Adding in a new covid variant that's X% more deadly will lead to really full hospitals and no one wants to have to do the things necessary to reduce viral transmission again.

Comment

See India. That's a country free of metabolic syndrome with infinite sunshine (vitamin D). Proponents of natural health and whatnot used to point to india as a sign we all needed to just be healthy. Before the advent of vaccines and antibiotics pathogens tore through healthy people and lead to a lot of morbidity and mortality.

By getting vaccinated you're protecting yourself against hospitalization and long covid. You're protecting others from our current brand of covid and more importantly reducing the risk of a catastrophic new variant.
                                                      I'm also taking an experimental vaccine that has no long term studies whatsoever (and starting to show a lot of interesting reactions), only to put my immune system on training wheels against something I have a lower chance of dying from than getting murdered since I'm under 50.

This one's an easy pass for me and me and my family have taken all of the standard vaccines thus far in life. I strongly encourage anyone who wants the vaccine to get it and I'm happy it's an option, but it's a no for me dawg.

Comment

I'm also taking an experimental vaccine that has no long term studies whatsoever (and starting to show a lot of interesting reactions), only to put my immune system on training wheels against something I have a lower chance of dying from than getting murdered since I'm under 50.
                                                        We get it, you have access to all this information that none of us have access to. I'm glad you're so much smarter and wiser than all of us.

Comment

This one's an easy pass for me and me and my family have taken all of the standard vaccines thus far in life. I strongly encourage anyone who wants the vaccine to get it and I'm happy it's an option, but it's a no for me dawg.
                                                          Since you know the chances of dying from straight up COVID, do you know the chances after taking one of the vaccines? Curious if you've looked at that.

Comment

The industries that always require vaccines will require them... not really controversial. If 5 or 10% choose not to get it no biggie. If 30 percent choose not to that's really bad. I'm not sure if spread dynamics get there this year. But the first viral season with really open international travel is going to have a wicked viral season. Adding in a new covid variant that's X% more deadly will lead to really full hospitals and no one wants to have to do the things necessary to reduce viral transmission again.
                                                            Yeah, 5% - 10% is not a concern. 25% or above is a little concerning to me, but I won't lose sleep over it. Everyone has the right to get it or not.

Comment

Yeah, 5% - 10% is not a concern. 25% or above is a little concerning to me, but I won't lose sleep over it. Everyone has the right to get it or not.
                                                              And businesses have the right to employ who they want and allow entrance of whoever they want. Ditto for schools. Ditto for the military. No ones gonna hold you down and jab your arm.

Comment

We already know the side effects that pop up for vaccines more than 6 months after getting them. There are none. The vast majority pop up in the first 2 months, the rest in months 3 to 6. Vaccine reactions occur due to vaccine. There's no vaccine product in your body pretty shortly after injection. We have great monitoring and as evidenced by the J&J shot we can pick up 1 in a million event. Do you live your life in fear of getting nailed by lightning? Your risk of a bad outcome is lower than those odds.

Comment

• these two have been about as cautious in talking about COVID as can be the last year. If they're saying this, that's how you know we're at the tail end of the pandemic phase.

Comment

And businesses have the right to employ who they want and allow entrance of whoever they want. Ditto for schools. Ditto for the military. No ones gonna hold you down and jab your arm.
                                                                    Did I say they didn't?

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

these two have been about as cautious in talking about COVID as can be the last year. If they're saying this, that's how you know we're at the tail end of the pandemic phase.
                                                                    I'm ready to get back to normal so we can attend football games.

Comment

• 2nd covid shot yesterday and it has me down for the count. Looking forward to some immunity

Comment

• Saw on the news that numbers of vaccine recipients may be greater than reported. Seems there are quite a few that got their first shot at one location and the second at a completely different location, so both locations report they have only had one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post
                                                                          2nd covid shot yesterday and it has me down for the count. Looking forward to some immunity
                                                                          Hopefully you'll be good to go later today.

Comment

Hopefully you'll be good to go later today.
                                                                            Man, it definitely took more than 24 hrs for me. Today is much better than yesterday but I have a lingering pounding headache. I'm taking ibuprofen and alternating between caffeine and water. Hope it subsides after today.

Comment

• I feel really lucky - I had almost no side effects from shot one or two. My second was two weeks ago today and I felt great all through - even played golf the day after receiving it.

Comment

• Based on Israel's numbers, a lot of economists seem to be suggesting that if an additional ~40 million people get vaccinated that should be enough to basically put this to bed.

Comment

• PA is lifting all restrictions, except mask wearing*, starting Memorial Day! I'm so excited, we're getting married in June, and were trying to find ways to uninvite people. Now we won't have to!

*Masks can stop when 70% of PA is vaccinated.

Comment

PA is lifting all restrictions, except mask wearing*, starting Memorial Day! I'm so excited, we're getting married in June, and were trying to find ways to uninvite people. Now we won't have to!

Awesome news, and congrats!

Comment

Awesome news, and congrats!
                                                                                      Thank you. Been a stressful last few months of planning, and she is beyond excited with the news (we both are).

Comment

PA is lifting all restrictions, except mask wearing*, starting Memorial Day! I'm so excited, we're getting married in June, and were trying to find ways to uninvite people. Now we won't have to!

same in Michigan but i doubt 70% is achievable
                                                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

same in Michigan but i doubt 70% is achievable
                                                                                          I doubt it as well. Too many are just stubborn and won't do it.

Comment

• 70% of adults not 70% overall. PA is already at 63% of adults. MI is at 54.2%. PA will get there no doubt.

Comment

70% of adults not 70% overall. PA is already at 63% of adults. MI is at 54.2%. PA will get there no doubt.
                                                                                              You are correct, though I believe it's 63% have a first dose, and vaccinations are slowing down. Still unsure if we will get there...

Comment

Has she seen you without your mask?

Congrats. Hope it goes off as planned.

Comment

Based on Israel's numbers, a lot of economists seem to be suggesting that if an additional ~40 million people get vaccinated that should be enough to basically put this to bed.
                                                                                                  That's still a lot of people and could take a while. News said air travel is picking up quite a bit and international travel is as well.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Irish#1; 05-14-2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• CDC now says you can skip masks in most settings if you have both shots.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 can forgo their masks and social distancing in many indoor situations.

"Today, CDC is updating our guidance for fully vaccinated people," CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Thursday at a White House COVID-19 briefing. "Anyone who is fully vaccinated, can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing. If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic."

Comment

CDC now says you can skip masks in most settings if you have both shots.
                                                                                                      Hopefully that will be incentive for those adults who are unvaccinated to get their shots.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X