No announcement yet.

COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently 22 million shots are set to go out next week. That'd be over 3 million a day. We may just save ourselves from the worst of the inevitable B.1.1.7 surge. W

Comment

• Originally posted by PerthDomer View Post
      Apparently 22 million shots are set to go out next week. That'd be over 3 million a day. We may just save ourselves from the worst of the inevitable B.1.1.7 surge. W
      It does seem like that's the direction we're heading. We are absolutely crushing the rest of the first world in vaccinations... surprised Trudeau isn't taking more shit for how far Canada is lagging behind the US. Europe is eating themselves alive because the UK is doing well while the EU is not... getting extremely tense over there with politicians threatening each other and making excuses.

The US is on track to have a massive vaccine surplus starting in the summer at which point it will be exporting that to allies/neighbors. Biden has said they are working through a policy for that, but want to focus on making sure all Americans who want a vaccine get a vaccine before that happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

It does seem like that's the direction we're heading. We are absolutely crushing the rest of the first world in vaccinations... surprised Trudeau isn't taking more shit for how far Canada is lagging behind the US. Europe is eating themselves alive because the UK is doing well while the EU is not... getting extremely tense over there with politicians threatening each other and making excuses.

The US is on track to have a massive vaccine surplus starting in the summer at which point it will be exporting that to allies/neighbors. Biden has said they are working through a policy for that, but want to focus on making sure all Americans who want a vaccine get a vaccine before that happens.
        Trudeau is certainly taking a beating right now for the vaccine rollout, but there's obviously a couple factors hindering us. The plan for us was always to lag behind the US since we're not producing any vaccine ourselves, and the fact we secured deals with European producers because we were afraid of the Orange Man not sending us any (looks like Biden is keeping that policy in place...). We've also had delayed/unfulfilled contracts with the big producers. In Ontario we've used ~75% of the vaccines we've been given by the Feds which would put us in the middle of the US states by usage. I think we're doing the best we can right now, and I would like to see improvements in our usage - if we can't get more why not use up all we have?

Comment

• I hope we have a blueprint for next time that gets production going super early and perhaps have a ready for use factory for mRNA or whatever vaccine technology ready to go. That and have pre selected phase 1 and 2 groups ready to go. We probably still could shave out a month on vaccine enrollment and could accelerate vaccine production by a few months. Of course, getting the genetic code earlier and slowing the spread in china could probably delay the first waves by 2 or 3 months.

This was a category 2 or 3 pandemic. Getting things wrong/not perfect probably cost a few hundred thousand lives and a few trillion bucks. If we got a similarly deadly coronavirus with a few more points on r0 and a higher IFR we'd be in for a world of pain. Especially if it came out of India/Africa/Brazil/Latin america and not China.

Comment

• Comment

I hope we have a blueprint for next time that gets production going super early and perhaps have a ready for use factory for mRNA or whatever vaccine technology ready to go. That and have pre selected phase 1 and 2 groups ready to go. We probably still could shave out a month on vaccine enrollment and could accelerate vaccine production by a few months. Of course, getting the genetic code earlier and slowing the spread in china could probably delay the first waves by 2 or 3 months.

This was a category 2 or 3 pandemic. Getting things wrong/not perfect probably cost a few hundred thousand lives and a few trillion bucks. If we got a similarly deadly coronavirus with a few more points on r0 and a higher IFR we'd be in for a world of pain. Especially if it came out of India/Africa/Brazil/Latin america and not China.
              I don't think it was the production as much as getting testing completed and approved. There's only so much acceleration you can do in testing. Then you have to decide how much testing is enough? We really don't know what the unforeseen side affects will be and probably won't for a year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                Get in line Toronto.

Comment

• The inadequate test/isolate/trace early really screwed us and probably led to longer lock downs than we needed.

Thing is if you paid double or quadruple per shot with earlier delivery dates/mandate production scale up at the time of positive phase 2 trials you'd probably be at this point vaccine wise a month or 2 earlier. That investment would pay for itself. What I'm talking about is stockpiling/having a plan ready to go that eliminates choke points in vaccine production early on. You'd put up more money on vaccines but the investment would pay for itself

Comment

Gotta take care of the future dem voters

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Get in line Toronto.
                      Think Justin told me I'll be getting it January 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

Think Justin told me I'll be getting it January 2023.
                        Maybe it’s time for a trip to Mexico?

Comment

• Comment

• Looks like the AZ vaccine has been exonerated RE: causing blood clots. IIRC, the Pfizer vaccine has had a higher incidence of blood clots than the AZ vaccine showed but w/ minimal concern in the press.

EMA's blood clot review exonerates AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, but monitoring continues

(Ref: Fidelity, BBC News, London South East, Interactive Investor, Morningstar, ABC News, The Independent, U.S. World & News Report, This is Money, Bloomberg, National Post, CNBC, Business Insider, GOV.UK, Yahoo!Finance, EMA, The Guardian)
                            March 18th, 2021
                            By: Anna Bratulic

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) on Thursday said a review by its Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee (PRAC) has determined that AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine AZD1222 is safe and effective at preventing COVID-19, and that its benefits are "far greater" than any potential risks. According to the EMA, the investigation indicates that AZD1222 is not associated with an overall higher risk of thromboembolic events among vaccine recipients, although the agency could not conclusively rule out a link with very rare cases of blood clots associated with low platelet counts, so PRAC will continue to investigate.

The review was undertaken following recent reports of blood clots in some people who have received at least one dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe, prompting multiple countries to suspend their rollout of the product as a precaution. However, shortly following the EMA's update, several reversed course, including Germany, Italy, France, the Netherlands and Portugal among others, and said they would resume vaccinations with AZD1222, while Sweden indicated that it would take "a few days" and decide next week.

The EMA said during its press briefing on Thursday that it found no batch or quality issues with the vaccine. The agency noted that as of March 16, around 20 million people in Europe had received AZD1222, which was authorised in the EU in late January and in the UK about a month earlier. It said there have been 469 reports of thromboembolic events following vaccination, both in studies prior to licensing and after rollout, with 191 of these spread out across Europe, not counting the UK and Switzerland. According to the regulator, this makes the incidence "lower than that expected in the general population."
                            Very rare cases of DIC, CVT in younger vaccinees

Among these instances of blood clot side-effects, the EMA said it reviewed seven reported cases of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) and 18 cases of cerebral vein thrombosis (CVT), with nine resulting in deaths. The reported cases were almost all in women under the age of 55. According to the regulator, the incidence rates for these particular conditions were higher than what would have been expected statistically – echoing similar data from Germany's Paul Ehrlich Institute this week – although "a similar imbalance was not visible in the older population given the vaccine."

While there is not enough evidence at this point to draw a causal link, it is "possible and deserves further analysis," the EMA said, but it believes the benefits of AZD1222 still outweigh the "extremely small likelihood" of developing these conditions. PRAC will continue monitoring the situation, with additional laboratory data and real-world evidence expected to shed more light. It will also look at risks with other types of COVID-19 vaccines as well, although "no signal" has been identified so far. In the meantime, product information for AZD1222 will be updated to include more information on DIC and CVT risks.
                            EU bracing for third wave

The EMA's update coincided with a statement by the UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), concluding that the "available evidence does not suggest that blood clots in veins are caused by [AZD1222]." However, it said a detailed review is underway of five possible UK cases of CVT co-occurring with lowered platelets soon after vaccination, out of about 11 million doses of the vaccine administered there to date.

Meanwhile, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen warned that "the epidemiological situation is getting worse…We see the crest of a third wave forming in member states, and we know that we need to accelerate the vaccination rates." The EU has said it is aiming to inoculate 70% of its adult population by the end of the summer.

Comment

• For those who thought herd immunity was a smart strategy... take a look at brazil. Fortunately it seems vaccines work against P.1. Sounds like P.1 is reinfecting some with prior natural infection though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...EPqZCC8AM183:0

Comment

For those who thought herd immunity was a smart strategy...
                                Wasn't in that group. Ever.

Some posts in this thread from a year ago aged like milk mixed with Indian food left out in the sun, by the way.

It's also funny that functioning adults with internet access think people can just show up here and vote. Bravo to the decades of bullshit lies that have made this country far less intelligent than it used to be.
                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Wasn't in that group. Ever.

Some posts in this thread from a year ago aged like milk mixed with Indian food left out in the sun, by the way.

It's also funny that functioning adults with internet access think people can just show up here and vote. Bravo to the decades of bullshit lies that have made this country far less intelligent than it used to be.
                                  Don't underestimate the Flu! Plandemic?

Comment

• Comment

• So my wife transitioned out of assisted living into a Kroger clinic a few months back. Basically the physical stress and emotional pain of losing residents as they got older and passed or what have you was getting to her. She was doing a lot of Covid tests through the winter, but lately they've been administering vaccines. They're supposed to be mixing the vaccine with a certain amount of saline I guess. The nurse practitioner in charge was teaching some new employees what to do and was instructing them to mix the doses with 2.0 parts saline (I'm making up the numbers here, I don't remember). My wife then asked, "Shouldn't it be 1.8? It's what it says in the directions." The nurse practitioner then when to the pharmacy in a huff to question the pharmacist. "The LPN thinks it's supposed to be 1.8, will you tell her she's wrong?" The pharmacist got pissed and told the NP she was the one that was wrong. Apparently she's been mixing the vaccine wrong this entire time. Oops!

They think it's probably not going to affect the effectiveness, but it just reaffirms my distaste for every nurse practitioner I've ever run into. Every one of them seems to be as stubborn as a mule, and the bedside manner is typically lacking.

Comment

• Got Pfizer shot #1 tonight. Scheduled for 2nd on 4/18. Can't wait. Over 2 Million shots each of last 2 days nationwide. Let's keep it rolling.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                          So my wife transitioned out of assisted living into a Kroger clinic a few months back. Basically the physical stress and emotional pain of losing residents as they got older and passed or what have you was getting to her. She was doing a lot of Covid tests through the winter, but lately they've been administering vaccines. They're supposed to be mixing the vaccine with a certain amount of saline I guess. The nurse practitioner in charge was teaching some new employees what to do and was instructing them to mix the doses with 2.0 parts saline (I'm making up the numbers here, I don't remember). My wife then asked, "Shouldn't it be 1.8? It's what it says in the directions." The nurse practitioner then when to the pharmacy in a huff to question the pharmacist. "The LPN thinks it's supposed to be 1.8, will you tell her she's wrong?" The pharmacist got pissed and told the NP she was the one that was wrong. Apparently she's been mixing the vaccine wrong this entire time. Oops!

They think it's probably not going to affect the effectiveness, but it just reaffirms my distaste for every nurse practitioner I've ever run into. Every one of them seems to be as stubborn as a mule, and the bedside manner is typically lacking.
                                          I won’t see a physician assistant. My experience seems to be they tend not to listen to you.

Four days since my second shot and no side effects.

Comment

I won’t see a physician assistant. My experience seems to be they tend not to listen to you.

Absolutely. Some of the other nurse practitioners I've dealt with are just...ugh. When my primary doctor retired the practice took on a nurse practitioner. Loved my old doctor, he didn't beat around the bush. I'd give him my symptoms, he's do his checks, then he'd give me the most likely cause and send me on my way. "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it's probably a duck" as he'd say. He was always right. I'd get one or two flare ups of gout each year from the time I was 25, my body doesn't process the uric acid from red meat well and I'll only have drinks at football games as a result. He treated me for 10 years, prescribing me the pills when I'd run out. After he retires the nurse practitioner that replaces him wants to do a full round of blood work, won't prescribe me anything for the pain until that's done. I've had two back surgeries in my lifetime, and I'll take that any day over gout...super painful. She doesn't bother to check my history, then berates me for being overweight. Yeah, tell me something I don't know. Needless to say, I found a doctor and went to a new practice.

The last nurse practitioner I went to was at an Urgent Care a month ago. My wife had picked up a strain of strep, but it wasn't Type A and the rapid test came back negative as a result. She had to take a different test that took a few days to get back, at which time she got antibiotics. In those few days while she was waiting for the results our Autistic son picked up the strep. He wasn't running a fever, but neither was she. He kept pounding his head with his hands, he would cry off and on, and his voice sounded horrible. So rather than take him to his normal doctor I decided to take him to the Urgent Care thinking that "Hey, they've got my wife's records, they can see her positive test result from just a few days ago, this shouldn't be a problem." Nope. Same nurse practitioner couldn't get him to open his mouth of course, so she "couldn't assess him" despite the fact she could hear his voice sounding awful when he would cry. "It could just be a cold, I can't prescribe anything without an assessment. Family connection isn't enough to go on." I tried to reason with her that there have to be extenuating circumstances for a non-verbal child on the spectrum, but nope. The whole thing was a headache, and he was getting progressively worse as the day went on. Fortunately I got a late appointment with his pediatrician later that day. She tried to check him out too, but he wasn't having it. She made the reasonable deduction, prescribed the antibiotics, and we were out of there in half the time. He got much better over the next 24-48 hours. She didn't even ask for my wife's results from the Urgent Care, she was awesome.

Anyway, those are just some of my run-ins with NPs. I probably just have horrible luck.

Comment

• Im in the last group allowed to get the vaccine. I cant get mine until May. Thanks SC.
                                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Got my 2nd dose of Moderna on Saturday. Side effects came on that evening (1st shot they came on the next day). I had chills like you wouldn't believe and my left arm was almost immovable. That said, they mostly subsided by yesterday, though my arm still is tender. All in all dealing with about 2-3 days of symptoms between both doses was worth it to me.

Comment

• Crazy what the average weight gain was.

Comment

Crazy what the average weight gain was.

I wonder what these numbers look like in a "normal" year

Comment

• We're at 40+ million Americans with "full vaccination" and something like 60+ million with at least one dose. We're doing about 2.5 million shots a day now... so even if each were part of a two shot regimen (they aren't) then you'd be looking at hitting the target number of 150 million fully vaccinated by June 1st. Given vaccine hesitancy and age restrictions, the rosiest picture would have ~200 million Americans ultimately vaccinated.

Comment

• Everything I've read has vaccinations up to 4 mil a day plus by mid april. Things are gonna accelerate soon. And in terms of the weight gain... I'd love to see their methodology. Seems prone to recall bias. 48% of millenials with and average of 41 lbs weight gain? Unlikely unless the west coast has somehow dodged this (where I've been for the last year)

Comment

Everything I've read has vaccinations up to 4 mil a day plus by mid april. Things are gonna accelerate soon. And in terms of the weight gain... I'd love to see their methodology. Seems prone to recall bias. 48% of millenials with and average of 41 lbs weight gain? Unlikely unless the west coast has somehow dodged this (where I've been for the last year)
                                                          My fear is we will see a slowdown in vaccination rates at some point late Spring due to those who refuse the vaccine due to the unfortunate politicization of COVID and the vaccine.

I'm surprised by the Millennial weight gain considering how much exercise equipment, golf clubs, etc. etc. was bought throughout the early lockdowns.

Comment

• Got my first pfizer vaccine today after volunteering at our vaccine clinic. Did over 1,100 shots today and over 50% were 2nd variety.
                                                            Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                              Got my first pfizer vaccine today after volunteering at our vaccine clinic. Did over 1,100 shots today and over 50% were 2nd variety.

Impressive work! Make sure you hydrate after.

In all seriousness, congrats and well done.

Comment

• I got an email from our big system in the state (Sanford Health) that I can get scheduled for mine.

Either 1) they've got all the important people vaccines already, or 2) they are tracking my whereabouts every weekend and have determined I'm high risk.

Possibly both?

I know some folks younger than me who have just walked in and asked if they have any extra and they got the plug. Per the NYT, it looks like we are among the best states so far.

I'm sure the stats nerds and medical needs will enjoy studying vaccine roll-out in the future.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Everything I've read has vaccinations up to 4 mil a day plus by mid april. Things are gonna accelerate soon. And in terms of the weight gain... I'd love to see their methodology. Seems prone to recall bias. 48% of millenials with and average of 41 lbs weight gain? Unlikely unless the west coast has somehow dodged this (where I've been for the last year)
                                                                  41 seems like a lot I agree. I wonder if the sample is small or skewed or whatever.

But.... we got a lot of millenials in cities. Many are still working from home. Say you live in NYC, you walk a shit ton by default. Now.... you don't. And it sounds like people are drinking a lot more. That's rarely good for the waistline.

I've put on probably 10-15. But that's just the 10-15 i lost when I moved to New York. 40.... seems a lot.
                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Well, I spoke too soon. Ended up with a sore lower back, but it was gone after a day.

Comment

• 7 day average for daily deaths is under 1,000 for the first time since November 5th. Can't see that number creeping up again with 70% of 65+ vaccinated.

NJ/NY have seen a bit of a plateau that would likely be the third wave here if it weren't for the vaccines blunting it because it's largely B.117.

I just really hope the US can get to around 55-60% vaccinated before demand dries up (like Israel). I think that is going to be easy in most states, but some states are really lagging behind.

Comment

• I am seeing some not so great news from Germany about a new variant. Anyone else seen that. Have to admit I dont know much about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                          I am seeing some not so great news from Germany about a new variant. Anyone else seen that. Have to admit I dont know much about it.
                                                                          Unless you're seeing something else, I am assuming its B.117 which is the UK variant. It is already pretty prominent here. We're at the point we actually are rooting for B.117 to become dominant rather than other variants because from my understanding, P.1 (Brazil) and B.1351 (South Africa) while less virulent also escape a level of immunity the vaccines provide. The vaccines are still mostly effective against the UK variant.

Comment

• "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

Unless you're seeing something else, I am assuming its B.117 which is the UK variant. It is already pretty prominent here. We're at the point we actually are rooting for B.117 to become dominant rather than other variants because from my understanding, P.1 (Brazil) and B.1351 (South Africa) while less virulent also escape a level of immunity the vaccines provide. The vaccines are still mostly effective against the UK variant.

Comment

Ah yeah, then as referenced in my above post, B.117 has become dominant there. That for example is why Michigan has seen a bit of an increase these last couple weeks. I am not sure where it is at now, but I think it makes up at least a third of the cases in the US at the moment, but hard to say because the genomic sequencing is far behind.

Comment

If you put Canada on that scale it would be so close to the bottom lmao. I'm not going to even be able to schedule an appointment till September. My grandparents who are about a million years old, just got an appointment for April.

Comment

If you put Canada on that scale it would be so close to the bottom lmao. I'm not going to even be able to schedule an appointment till September. My grandparents who are about a million years old, just got an appointment for April.
                                                                                    Im unable to get mine till May and Im in the last group of adults in my state scheduled.

Comment

• Pfizer really stepping their game up, whereas Moderna hasn't really increased capacity at all.

Comment

• Indiana announced 16 and older will be eligible by end of the month
                                                                                        Prehistoric

Comment

• My wife is German. She got a text from a friend yesterday talking about how miserable it is over there, especially now that they’re going with another “hard lockdown”. Crazy. We’re I’m at in Tennessee it feels like this Covid thing ended in the beginning of January.

Got an email today that everyone here 16+ is eligible for the vaccine. Good news
                                                                                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                                            Indiana announced 16 and older will be eligible by end of the month
                                                                                            We're getting there. Indianapolis Motor Speedway is hosting another mass vaccination clinic. Masks will not be mandatory after April 6. From the governor's PC.

“As we continue to isolate if you test positive, quarantine if you’re a close contact, and get vaccinated when you’re eligible, the light at the end of the tunnel becomes brighter and brighter,” Gov. Holcomb said. “It’s up to each and every one of us to do our part to stay on our course.”

Indiana’s current cases, positivity rate, hospitalizations, and deaths have all dropped drastically since mid-January and nearly a million Hoosiers are fully vaccinated. The state plans to open vaccine eligibility to all Hoosiers 16 years and older on Wednesday, March 31, provided Indiana receives a large increase in the amount of vaccine as outlined by the federal government. Additional mass vaccination clinics will be scheduled for April and the state will implement a large employer vaccination program.

Starting April 6, decisions about venue capacity and social gatherings will be made by local officials. Customers in restaurants, bars and nightclubs will no longer be required by the state to be seated. Six feet of spacing between tables and other seating will still be recommended as is spacing between non-household parties.

The statewide face covering mandate will become a mask advisory on April 6. Face coverings will remain mandatory in all state buildings and facilities and in all vaccination and COVID testing sites until further notice. K-12 schools will continue under current requirements through the remainder of the 2020-21 school year.

Comment

Hooray for socialized medicine!

Comment

• It's more where the factories are. The great thing about having over 300 million people and a diverse economy is you can own the supply chain. Upside for canada is in a month when the US has excess vaccine their contracts will lead to a surge in supply there.

Comment

It's more where the factories are. The great thing about having over 300 million people and a diverse economy is you can own the supply chain. Upside for canada is in a month when the US has excess vaccine their contracts will lead to a surge in supply there.
                                                                                                  This. Our production chain up here is.....non-existent. We need big brother to help us out lol. Our doses administered/received ratio for Ontario would put us the middle of the US states, ahead of Florida/Texas/California/New York (our peer states). The big test will be if we can keep up a ratio of 78% administered/received when supply increases.

Comment

• Saw where dentists will now be able to administer COVID vaccines as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...040206660.html

Comment

Saw where dentists will now be able to administer COVID vaccines as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...040206660.html
                                                                                                      I've been giving our dogs their vaccinations for years. Send me a batch of vaccines and I'll take care of everyone in my neighborhood.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X