No announcement yet.

COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the 1st things Biden did was use the DPA to buy a bunch of high fidelity rapid tests.

Comment

• Have to get thru this one first. Evolution happens at reproduction. The longer this virus hangs around and the higher the number of cases the more it will evolve. There are two equally likely events: covid evolves into something less virulent and simply disappears or becomes very manageable or it becomes more virulent and kills everyone on the planet.

Historically pandemics or large scale infectious events happen twice a century. Last century was the anomaly. Of course there is the melting of the permaforst and all the germs/virus therein

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
        Have to get thru this one first. Evolution happens at reproduction. The longer this virus hangs around and the higher the number of cases the more it will evolve. There are two equally likely events: covid evolves into something less virulent and simply disappears or becomes very manageable or it becomes more virulent and kills everyone on the planet.

Historically pandemics or large scale infectious events happen twice a century. Last century was the anomaly. Of course there is the melting of the permaforst and all the germs/virus therein
        I'm not sure scientists would agree with that. Doesn't history suggests viruses become less virulent more often than not?

Comment

• Really good information and observations guys. I've been going back and forth with a couple of Doctors that are highly engaged in research/vaccines for Covid. I wish I could share their e-mails but I think you are all on the same page.

My biggest takeaway from our correspondence is that Covid and variants are not going away anytime soon... if ever.

I was a little disappointed as I had hoped we might be done with this in the next 12-18 months. We need to manage expectations and be vigilant.

The science and technologies that has advanced in the past 12 months is nothing short of spectacular. I think that gives everyone hope and rightfully so.

As a corporate guy, this past year has really opened my eyes to the importance of science. I was hardly a troglodyte before but I hope Covid becomes a very important teaching tool for the future.

Best of luck to everyone and be safe.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
            Have to get thru this one first. Evolution happens at reproduction. The longer this virus hangs around and the higher the number of cases the more it will evolve. There are two equally likely events: covid evolves into something less virulent and simply disappears or becomes very manageable or it becomes more virulent and kills everyone on the planet.

(Insert Jesse Pinkman "science b****" Gif)
            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Viruses evolve to transmit better. Given covid spreads just as symptoms start or before. And for people who drive transmission (young folk) severe disease is pretty rare. B.1.1.7 is more deadly than OG COVID. It will get more or less deadly as a function of improving spread. We know higher viral loads = spread better and more deadly.

This could double in IFR and it'd be way worse for the health system, but you'd still have people saying it's a cold. Because the vast majority of those catching it would be ok.

Comment

• "Spread better", yes. Absolutely a natural selection type thing. "Get more deadly", no. That might or might not happen, but is a side issue. More deadly MIGHT come alongside with more successful attachment on the one hand, but killing the host goes the opposite way in terms of natural selection.

Comment

• Update: I took a rapid test on Monday which was negatie but the doctor told me to come back on Friday and take another. I did and took the molecular test. I still haven't got a results call which I understand is a good thing.

Anyway Im leaving self quarantine and I dont think I got it. Ill take that as a win.
                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                    "Spread better", yes. Absolutely a natural selection type thing. "Get more deadly", no. That might or might not happen, but is a side issue. More deadly MIGHT come alongside with more successful attachment on the one hand, but killing the host goes the opposite way in terms of natural selection.
                    Whenever I see a product claim its 99.99% effective at killing germs and bacteria, I cant help but think every single time.... what's that other 0.01 percent doing and how did it survive? It has an exponential growth rate and basically since it didn't die, this indicates its dna is capable of resisting that cleaning solution and able to go again as I assume the surface was saturated with the solution in testing situations.

Needless to say public bathrooms are a nightmare for me and contact time is a huge item of discussion in my house while cleaning :).

Comment

• I think of drug-resistant bacteria and its costs in procedures we won't be able to do, the infections which will rage as we lose our last line of defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                        Whenever I see a product claim its 99.99% effective at killing germs and bacteria, I cant help but think every single time.... what's that other 0.01 percent doing and how did it survive? It has an exponential growth rate and basically since it didn't die, this indicates its dna is capable of resisting that cleaning solution and able to go again as I assume the surface was saturated with the solution in testing situations.

Needless to say public bathrooms are a nightmare for me and contact time is a huge item of discussion in my house while cleaning :).
                        Agreed, it's been some time since I read an article on the subject, but the basic conclusion is that it doesn't take very long for the "cleaned" surface, to be consumed with germs and bacteria again as the ..01 to replicate
                        Last edited by ab2cmiller; 02-09-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Coronavirus Variants and Mutations (NY Times)

Comment

• Since the last post in this thread on Feb 9th, the 7 day average for cases in the US was 109K. Today, 9 days later, the 7 day average is 79,112. On January 12th, the 7 day average was 254K.

Hospitalizations Feb 9th were 79,179. Today, they are 63,398. On January 6th, they were over 132K.

I think the variant craze is overblown because the US clearly has enough natural immunity at this point. Throw in the vaccine. A mostly normal summer is looking good.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                              Since the last post in this thread on Feb 9th, the 7 day average for cases in the US was 109K. Today, 9 days later, the 7 day average is 79,112. On January 12th, the 7 day average was 254K.

Hospitalizations Feb 9th were 79,179. Today, they are 63,398. On January 6th, they were over 132K.

I think the variant craze is overblown because the US clearly has enough natural immunity at this point. Throw in the vaccine. A mostly normal summer is looking good.
                              Agreed wholeheartedly. Taking vaccine hesitancy into account and looking at vaccination rates, every American who wants to be vaccinated will almost surely have had that opportunity by June at the latest.

Comment

• Looks like attending a football game had little to know effect on spreading COVID. Could this mean stadiums at 50 - 100% capacity this coming season?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.21251745v1

Comment

• [TWITTER]https://twitter.com/JuliaLMarcus/status/1363857538274443264[/TWITTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                    [TWITTER]https://twitter.com/JuliaLMarcus/status/1363857538274443264[/TWITTER]
                                    Well maybe she should talk to that dumb old fuck Fauci. He is like Biden can’t remember what he says from day to day.
                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                      Looks like attending a football game had little to know effect on spreading COVID. Could this mean stadiums at 50 - 100% capacity this coming season?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.21251745v1
                                      I we aren't at 100% return to normal by the fall that will be a joke. By June, virtually everyone who wants a vaccine should've been able to get one. It's impractical and illogical to continue any restrictions past that point.

Comment

• Just found out person #3 (he is a Partner of the firm) in my department has it. He has MS and isnt doing well at all. Ive been tested 4 times and negative for all somehow miraculously.

Comment

• Kary Mullis invented the PCR, these are his thoughts on Fauci. Basically calls him an idiot and a liar with a personal agenda. Shocking right. LOL Oh by the way he died in August of 2019, so his thoughts were even prior to COVID.

Fauci has admitted to lying about multiple items related to COVID, whether it be masks or herd immunity goal posts. His rationale is that it's OK to lie to the American public if it gets people to respond in the way that you want them to. At this point, I don't know how anyone knows if what Fauci is saying is truth or an "honorable" lie.

Comment

Just found out person #3 (he is a Partner of the firm) in my department has it. He has MS and isnt doing well at all. Ive been tested 4 times and negative for all somehow miraculously.
                                            WTF is a partner at some firm doing any in person work with MS? Anyone with MS should be isolating - as a partner he should have the financial wherewithal to "survive" easier than any out of work cook or waiter. I am all for this partner making that decision on their own but EVERYONE has dramatically compromised their personal liberties for a full year to supposedly help protect exactly this person. Isolate the vulnerable and everyone else get back to work should have been the stance from day one.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

I we aren't at 100% return to normal by the fall that will be a joke. By June, virtually everyone who wants a vaccine should've been able to get one. It's impractical and illogical to continue any restrictions past that point.
                                              One of two things going on either A) they are moving the goal posts to 2022 so they can be heros when we are back to normal this summer or B) They like the power and will perpetrate this fiasco for as long as they possibly can with redirection to variants or need to apply to every flu season.

Either way, its about as good and unifying as any Biden joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                Kary Mullis invented the PCR, these are his thoughts on Fauci. Basically calls him an idiot and a liar with a personal agenda. Shocking right. LOL Oh by the way he died in August of 2019, so his thoughts were even prior to COVID.

Fauci has admitted to lying about multiple items related to COVID, whether it be masks or herd immunity goal posts. His rationale is that it's OK to lie to the American public if it gets people to respond in the way that you want them to. At this point, I don't know how anyone knows if what Fauci is saying is truth or an "honorable" lie.

Yup!

Comment

• I am struggling to see how this isn't all but over by end of the April.

If Pfizer and Moderna will have delivered 220MM doses and JnJ an additional 20MM doses by the of March, you're talking about half adult population with a level of inoculated immunity. That's not counting a huge portion of the population with natural immunity.

April should be our first really good month as a country. Almost all seniors/at risk should be fully vaccinated by the end. Daily deaths will likely be in the low hundreds by the end. Seasonality should help be the finishing blow to the pandemic. I suspect some governors will milk social distancing restrictions as long as possible, but they won't be able to really past the end of May.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

WTF is a partner at some firm doing any in person work with MS? Anyone with MS should be isolating - as a partner he should have the financial wherewithal to "survive" easier than any out of work cook or waiter. I am all for this partner making that decision on their own but EVERYONE has dramatically compromised their personal liberties for a full year to supposedly help protect exactly this person. Isolate the vulnerable and everyone else get back to work should have been the stance from day one.
                                                    Welcome to my world. One of the guys who first got sick and sent everyone into quarantine is now back at the office and not wearing a mask. He is saying since he got it and got over it he isnt a risk anymore and isnt wearing his masks.

Comment

Welcome to my world. One of the guys who first got sick and sent everyone into quarantine is now back at the office and not wearing a mask. He is saying since he got it and got over it he isnt a risk anymore and isnt wearing his masks.
                                                      Well he's not wrong. Other guy deserves a Darwin award.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

Well he's not wrong. Other guy deserves a Darwin award.
                                                        He could still be a carrier and pass it along even if the reinfection chance is low.

Comment

• If the response to Covid and a vaccine rollout had the sense of urgency of the 165 voter suppression laws that states are already tabling this year, what a better place we'd be in.

My 90 year old grandfather got the first dose on Friday. Knowing he's an avid viewer of Hannity and Tucker Carlson, I had to ask him, "Pappy, I have to say I'm surprised you got the vaccine. You're not buying into all the crazy conspiracies out there?"

"Fuck that, Sonny. I made it this far, I'm getting the damn shot. I got more time on this Earth and more beer to drink during that time!"
                                                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Weird how low daily cases have become after just a month, all while more and more stuff is opening back up to bigger capacities.

Comment

• Uh... did I have a stroke? What happened to this forum?

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                                                Uh... did I have a stroke? What happened to this forum?
                                                                Trumps no longer president. Lol

Comment

Agree, but I see Biden wanting to extend precautions out until around July then encouraging large gatherings like sports to continue some some attendance restrictions past that. Hope I’m wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post

Glad to hear it. I'm assuming you didn't pre-register through Meijer? In the greater Indy area, I'm seeing those who were pre-registered basically are getting in within a week. Those who didn't are seeing appointments out about a month.

Unrelated, our lone healthcare employee who was refusing the vaccine has now changed her mind. Unfortunately for her, she's in line with everyone 65+ now, which means she's late Feb/early March for shot #1. Insert eyeroll.
                                                                    I did initially register with Meijer, but haven't heard from them. The wife said she wasn't sure she wanted to get it when I registered and told her I was doing it right then. A few days later, she asks when our appointments were. "Uh Dear, you said you weren't sure you wanted to get it and you didn't answer me when I was registering." Got her registered, but she's upset that were not getting our shots at the same time. lol
                                                                    Got a notification from Meijer on Monday and we're scheduled to get our shots today, so I'll need to figure out how to cancel our appointments for March 6.

Comment

Got a notification from Meijer on Monday and we're scheduled to get our shots today, so I'll need to figure out how to cancel our appointments for March 6.
                                                                      Happy to hear it!

Just to further push the pre-registration: A friend of ours (she's 60) pre-registered at Meijer, got a phone call the night before they announced the new eligibility guidelines, and got her scheduled day of announcement.

Comment

• https://www.fda.gov/media/146217/download

JnJ FDA briefing doc

Really impressive results. Just as effective against variants. 100% effective against hospitalization. Less side effects. 1 shot. US will be getting 20MM of these in March.

Comment

• Friends of the family have a 12 year old son who volunteered to be in that age group's Moderna trial. Even donated the money they gave him to his favorite charity. Kid's a rockstar.

Shot one in the books. Felt fine.

Comment

• “One-Third of Cancer Survivors Worried About Treatment and Healthcare Disruptions During the COVID-19 Pandemic”
                                                                            Feb 24, 2021

Comment

• My boss with MS has now entered day 14 with unabated fevers. Hoping for the best but doesn’t sound good.

Comment

• Wife and I got the Pfizer shot yesterday. Several people warned us we might feel crappy the next day. Then they said after the second shot. I feel fine and my arm isn't sore from the shot. The wife said her arm was pretty sore this morning, but nothing else. Anyone hear of feeling crappy for a day after the second shot?

Comment

Wife and I got the Pfizer shot yesterday. Several people warned us we might feel crappy the next day. Then they said after the second shot. I feel fine and my arm isn't sore from the shot. The wife said her arm was pretty sore this morning, but nothing else. Anyone hear of feeling crappy for a day after the second shot?
                                                                                  I've only gotten one shot, but my arm was FUCKED for about two days. I got the shot, went to the waiting area, then got up after ten min and my arm was comically sore for getting such a small shot. I also felt a little run down later that even but perfectly fine when I woke up the next day. I don't get my second shot until March 8th, but none of the people I coach with who have gotten vaccinated reported any issues.

Comment

Wife and I got the Pfizer shot yesterday. Several people warned us we might feel crappy the next day. Then they said after the second shot. I feel fine and my arm isn't sore from the shot. The wife said her arm was pretty sore this morning, but nothing else. Anyone hear of feeling crappy for a day after the second shot?
                                                                                    A lot of people in our area that got the moderna shot were sick after the second one. A friend of mine his dad had 103 fever for 3 days afterwards. But most of the others reported low grade fevers and felt run down and achy.

Comment

I've only gotten one shot, but my arm was FUCKED for about two days. I got the shot, went to the waiting area, then got up after ten min and my arm was comically sore for getting such a small shot. I also felt a little run down later that even but perfectly fine when I woke up the next day. I don't get my second shot until March 8th, but none of the people I coach with who have gotten vaccinated reported any issues.
                                                                                      Same experience with Moderna. Hurt to lift my left arm above shoulder level for a whole day. Tried going for a run the day after and could just never really get started. Was fine day 2 though. Kinda dreading my second shot tbh.

If anyone wants it and can't find an appointment or is not yet eligible, show up to one of the federal pharmacy program sites. I got mine by just asking CVS if they had any extra. Have had a couple friends with similar experience. Just show up about an hour before they're done for the day and they usually have a waiting list. They don't wanna waste doses.

Comment

• COVID cases have dropped 76% across the country over the past 6 weeks. I've been a Biden skeptic but I have to hand it to him, his plan has worked incredibly well and quickly since being in office.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                                                                                            COVID cases have dropped 76% across the country over the past 6 weeks. I've been a Biden skeptic but I have to hand it to him, his plan has worked incredibly well and quickly since being in office.
                                                                                            Wut? What has changed other than more things reopening?

Comment

• Got the second Moderna yesterday. I usually run around 97.7. Temperature got up to 99.8 but no big deal. Didn’t have any effect on me at work. No arm soreness but a little bit of armpit lymph node swelling. Didn’t have much reaction to first shot other than site soreness. Good luck all.

Comment

• I got my 2nd Moderna shot last Saturday (6 days ago). Mild soreness at site. I didn’t really have any adverse effects. No fever. No chills. No headaches. No fatigue. Really nothing. I feel fortunate and had to do some research to ensure it’ll actually work on me without the reaction (it will).

All that being said a few others I work with had pretty bad reactions. One guy said he hadn’t been that sick in 30 years. He said he would not get it had he known the reaction. Most had a low grade fever and fatigue (both Pfizer and Moderna).

The biggest issue here is shot availability. Our Gov puts all of the blame on the former president. I feel the amount of people vaccinated should reflect positively on him, but what do I know? I’m hoping that we get our stuff together soon. Our state rejected a Federal COVID vaccination site in my county but was nixed by our state government. Even though my county checked all of the boxes for a federal site, our state government decided we aren’t diverse enough and shifted it away. Our County Executive is not pleased (very red county in a VERY blue state). The further away from NYC, the less we seem to matter. Even though Lt Gov Hochul is a Buffalo person.......

Anyway, there’s plenty of blame and credit on both sides of the political spectrum regarding vaccine supply/distribution. A quick google search will point to our own governor praising and blaming our former president. The praise from Gov Cuomo has been overwhelming for President Biden, but many skeptical folks believe that has a lot to do with the cash in the COVID bill to bail out states like NY.

Comment

• Thanks guys. I guess I'll know once I get my second shot.

Agree, I wouldn't give too much credit or blame to Trump or Biden. IMO, this is just production and distribution finally hitting its stride.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishtrooper View Post
                                                                                                    I got my 2nd Moderna shot last Saturday (6 days ago). Mild soreness at site. I didn’t really have any adverse effects. No fever. No chills. No headaches. No fatigue. Really nothing. I feel fortunate and had to do some research to ensure it’ll actually work on me without the reaction (it will).

All that being said a few others I work with had pretty bad reactions. One guy said he hadn’t been that sick in 30 years. He said he would not get it had he known the reaction. Most had a low grade fever and fatigue (both Pfizer and Moderna).

The biggest issue here is shot availability. Our Gov puts all of the blame on the former president. I feel the amount of people vaccinated should reflect positively on him, but what do I know? I’m hoping that we get our stuff together soon. Our state rejected a Federal COVID vaccination site in my county but was nixed by our state government. Even though my county checked all of the boxes for a federal site, our state government decided we aren’t diverse enough and shifted it away. Our County Executive is not pleased (very red county in a VERY blue state). The further away from NYC, the less we seem to matter. Even though Lt Gov Hochul is a Buffalo person.......

Anyway, there’s plenty of blame and credit on both sides of the political spectrum regarding vaccine supply/distribution. A quick google search will point to our own governor praising and blaming our former president. The praise from Gov Cuomo has been overwhelming for President Biden, but many skeptical folks believe that has a lot to do with the cash in the COVID bill to bail out states like NY.
                                                                                                    As a whole, we're doing a really good job of vaccinating people relative to Europe and Canada. Our vaccination rates are much higher and we've vaccinated a larger portion of the population at this point. With that being said, Cuomo is a proven idiot at this point has has horrible mismanaged everything to do with COVID in New York (possibly criminally) and despite increased Federal help in the vaccine rollout there is still a wide disparity between states that have their shit together and those that don't. This is a nifty tracker -- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-in-your-state

On the low end, only 11% of people in Texas and Georgia have gotten a shot. On the high end, it's near 20% in some states. And you can see how New York is 41st in the country and lags behind the rest of the Mid-Atlantic and New England.

But relative to peer countries, the United States is second only to the UK in the amount of doses administered as a percentage of the population -- https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021...-vaccinations/ -- so for as much as people talk about "terrible" healthcare in the United States we have quadruple the vaccination rate of Canada at the moment and about double that of Europe at large.

Comment

• Got my first Moderna shot on Saturday. Sunday, I couldn't move my left arm to parallel, had chills, sweats, a fever, etc. This lasted until Monday morning, and was way worse than anything I experienced while I was COVID positive in late October. That said, while I dread what I will feel like after my second dose, I look forward to getting it and more people getting it as well.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X