No announcement yet.

COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone got the vaccine in Florida? So many of my snowbird clients up here are trying to make plans to go down to get the vaccine. Think this speaks to a strong vaccine response by the state/feds.

Hopefully they stop allowing Canadians to jump the queue before Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
      Has anyone got the vaccine in Florida? So many of my snowbird clients up here are trying to make plans to go down to get the vaccine. Think this speaks to a strong vaccine response by the state/feds.

I think it's a bit dramatized how easy it is for out-of-staters to get vaccinated there. My understanding is they still need proof of a permanent address. According to their Vaccine Report, out of state residents accounted for 3.4% of total shots.

Florida gets flack because their rollout has been a bit disorganized at times, but at the end of the day, over 900K seniors have received that first dose which is way more than any other state, including California which has received more than double the doses.

Comment

Has anyone got the vaccine in Florida? So many of my snowbird clients up here are trying to make plans to go down to get the vaccine. Think this speaks to a strong vaccine response by the state/feds.

The Canadians must be stopped from INVADING the land of the FREE and the home of the BRAVE. We MUST send the MILITARY to defend ports of entry!

Share if you agree. I hereby do NOT consent to FACEBOOK using my personal data or information. By law, FACEBOOK will now be in VIOLATION of the LAW if they continue to use my information.

Oh shoot....wrong website.
        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
          No warfare will be needed. If you listen to Birx and Faucci now, the covid response under Trump was highly politicized, anti science and pushed false data into the public. They downplayed it at every turn, undermined the science and scientists and did everything their power to make sure the response was as tepid and ineffective as possible.

Literally a 5th grader with a working knowledge of how washing your hands to prevent spread of diseases will do better.
          How courageous of Fauci and Birx to expose Trumps covid response!? Clearly they had no input; because if they had any input, they would have resigned in protest. They would have had a plethora of media invites to detail the "politicized, anti science and false data". Even if they didn't have any input, why did they allow themselves to be used as props?

Regarding Saint Fauci, the New York Times fawning of Fauci is truly nauseating: "For Dr. Fauci, 80, the past year has stood out like no other. As the coronavirus ravaged the country, Dr. Fauciís calm counsel and commitment to hard facts endeared him to millions of Americans." . Be mindful this is the same guy:

<iframe title="USATODAY-Embed Player" width="540" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://uw-media.usatoday.com/embed/video/4789266002?placement=snow-embed"></iframe>

Now he says we need to wear two masks...and what happened to the Flu?

Comment

• How convenient to get all of the blame shifted to the previous president. I’m sure every thought, interview and piece of advice throughout this pandemic given by Fauci was completely correct.

Trump did a lot I’m sure he wishes he would have done differently, but to put this on him is ridiculous. He did push the vaccine development in a timeframe that everyone laughed at, except it was done. I do wish the information was more accurate from him from the beginning. I wish those claiming that their side never made any mistakes in this would just admit the obvious - EVERYONE made errors, mistakes, etc and it was somewhat understandable due to this being a novel virus. This virus has been politicized so much it makes a lot of the information seem like it is coming from a motivation to make the other side look bad.

There are so many examples of Gavin Newsome and Andrew Cuomo singing the praises of Trump one day, then a week later they blame him personally for every death. The polarization of our society and looking down our noses at those that may disagree is getting to a level that is almost untenable. I get it, a lot of people don’t like Trump or Biden, but to pretend one side has all the answers is stupid. That’s a large reason why the other side (both directions) doesn’t believe anything anymore seemingly.

The media obviously deserves a lot of the blame with CNN and MSNBC saying the conservatives are evil and FoxNews saying liberals are at the root that everything that is wrong.......

I’m not saying Fauci is wrong all the time (he has forgotten more about infectious disease than I will ever know), but he has given some inaccurate information at the beginning. Recently he admitted to saying something he didn’t believe regarding herd immunity. Now I know it came from a place trying to convince the public to get vaccinated, but to assume this man is never wrong is goofy. I don’t get the worship.

All of that being said- (imo)
            This virus is real
            Everyone should take cleanliness measures
            Social distancing when possible should be done
            Shutting down schools isn’t the answer
            I think everyone should get the vaccine (if possible)
            We need to work together to beat it

I truly hope that we can stop the bickering now that the election is over and work together to get back on track. I can’t watch the news anymore because I’m so tired of the narrative-building to push an agenda.

I don’t think Trump was ever as bad as some on this board would have us believe. I also think he was very weak in some areas of leadership. Those weaknesses (with a extremely tough media landscape) caused him to lose his job. I also don’t think the new administration will magically have all the answers. Sure they’ll do some things better, in large part learning from the mistakes Trump made. I will be rooting for Biden to succeed. He’s my president. I will always root for my president to succeed. I think things would be better had more people had that attitude over the last few years.

I’ll get off my soapbox now. Sorry

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
              I think it's a bit dramatized how easy it is for out-of-staters to get vaccinated there. My understanding is they still need proof of a permanent address. According to their Vaccine Report, out of state residents accounted for 3.4% of total shots.

Florida gets flack because their rollout has been a bit disorganized at times, but at the end of the day, over 900K seniors have received that first dose which is way more than any other state, including California which has received more than double the doses.
              Ah ok, that's good to hear. Seems like it's a lot of wishful thinking on their part, that they can just fly down to snag a vaccine. Glad it's going well down there!

Comment

Ah ok, that's good to hear. Seems like it's a lot of wishful thinking on their part, that they can just fly down to snag a vaccine. Glad it's going well down there!
                Worst case scenario they spend some time in their vacation home in nice weather. Not a bad consolation prize.

In other news, my Grandma is 78 and got it a few weeks ago. She's a widow and basically lives to visit family so her general philosophy was "if I get it and die, who cares. I'm gonna see my kids and grandchildren."

Shes had a couple open heart surgeries but is largely healthy outside of that. She ended up pretty asymptomatic. I believe she only got tested because my aunt and uncle tested positive and she had just been out to see them.

Grandma Rita - 1
                Grim Reaper - 0.

I'm assuming her secret involves wine.
                Last edited by NorthDakota; 01-25-2021, 12:48 PM.
                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• A friend of mine at the retirement village left a couple of weeks ago for her second home in Florida. She got the vaccination down there almost immediately (she is around upper 80s in age.)

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                    Worst case scenario they spend some time in their vacation home in nice weather. Not a bad consolation prize.

In other news, my Grandma is 78 and got it a few weeks ago. She's a widow and basically lives to visit family so her general philosophy was "if I get it and die, who cares. I'm gonna see my kids and grandchildren."

Shes had a couple open heart surgeries but is largely healthy outside of that. She ended up pretty asymptomatic. I believe she only got tested because my aunt and uncle tested positive and she had just been out to see them.

Grandma Rita - 1
                    Grim Reaper - 0.

I'm assuming her secret involves wine.
                    My grandparent's were going to go "do some upkeep" on their place in Naples, had to basically nail their door shut to keep them inside. Dougy Ford having a less effective vaccine roll out than Desantis is not something expected.

Your grandma is a trooper, glad she got through it fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                      The Canadians must be stopped from INVADING the land of the FREE and the home of the BRAVE. We MUST send the MILITARY to defend ports of entry!

Share if you agree. I hereby do NOT consent to FACEBOOK using my personal data or information. By law, FACEBOOK will now be in VIOLATION of the LAW if they continue to use my information.

Oh shoot....wrong website.
                      Just a crime that they try to send their foreign oil through our pipelines to send it overseas. America First. Shut down the pipelines. Drill in ND. And cancel mining contracts in Utah, Alaska, etc to Canadians.

Pfizer's contract for vaccine supply was based on doses not vials. With a sixth dose being able to be obtained from the vials, Pfizer is accounting those doses retroactively for that with their next supply, which will be smaller than expected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/h...r-vaccine.html
                      Last edited by Legacy; 01-25-2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishtrooper View Post
                        How convenient to get all of the blame shifted to the previous president. Iím sure every thought, interview and piece of advice throughout this pandemic given by Fauci was completely correct.

Trump did a lot Iím sure he wishes he would have done differently, but to put this on him is ridiculous. He did push the vaccine development in a timeframe that everyone laughed at, except it was done. I do wish the information was more accurate from him from the beginning. I wish those claiming that their side never made any mistakes in this would just admit the obvious - EVERYONE made errors, mistakes, etc and it was somewhat understandable due to this being a novel virus. This virus has been politicized so much it makes a lot of the information seem like it is coming from a motivation to make the other side look bad.

There are so many examples of Gavin Newsome and Andrew Cuomo singing the praises of Trump one day, then a week later they blame him personally for every death. The polarization of our society and looking down our noses at those that may disagree is getting to a level that is almost untenable. I get it, a lot of people donít like Trump or Biden, but to pretend one side has all the answers is stupid. Thatís a large reason why the other side (both directions) doesnít believe anything anymore seemingly.

The media obviously deserves a lot of the blame with CNN and MSNBC saying the conservatives are evil and FoxNews saying liberals are at the root that everything that is wrong.......

Iím not saying Fauci is wrong all the time (he has forgotten more about infectious disease than I will ever know), but he has given some inaccurate information at the beginning. Recently he admitted to saying something he didnít believe regarding herd immunity. Now I know it came from a place trying to convince the public to get vaccinated, but to assume this man is never wrong is goofy. I donít get the worship.

All of that being said- (imo)
                        This virus is real
                        Everyone should take cleanliness measures
                        Social distancing when possible should be done
                        Shutting down schools isnít the answer
                        I think everyone should get the vaccine (if possible)
                        We need to work together to beat it

I truly hope that we can stop the bickering now that the election is over and work together to get back on track. I canít watch the news anymore because Iím so tired of the narrative-building to push an agenda.

I donít think Trump was ever as bad as some on this board would have us believe. I also think he was very weak in some areas of leadership. Those weaknesses (with a extremely tough media landscape) caused him to lose his job. I also donít think the new administration will magically have all the answers. Sure theyíll do some things better, in large part learning from the mistakes Trump made. I will be rooting for Biden to succeed. Heís my president. I will always root for my president to succeed. I think things would be better had more people had that attitude over the last few years.

Iíll get off my soapbox now. Sorry
                        Just a solid post Trooper! Keep the soapbox handy.

Easy for any of us to play Monday morning quarterback.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Comment

My parents have a place where they winter every year late Dec - mid April on the gulf coast near Naples. Once the county got itself sorted out, they started a call in system to schedule an appointment. They didn’t get through right away but both got calls back within a day and received their first dose about 2.5 weeks ago (Moderna version), 2nd dose coming up in about another week and a half. They both meet the over 65 requirement and at the time Florida wasn’t requiring any proof of residency or home ownership, but they could’ve done so if needed. My understanding is that now they are cracking down on that a bit more, but even though my parents aren’t official Florida residents, they would still meet the current requirements being part time residents. I’d bet that at least 50% of the folks in their area are seasonal residents anyways, so probably would be some potential doses going to waste if they didn’t at least allow that in that area. I think the issue they are getting at is that some people flying down for a week for a shot then heading out and coming back later for the second, which makes sense and is probably what they should’ve done from the very beginning.
                          I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• Three days post Moderna first shot and the only side effect I can report was swollen Lymph Nodes in my left armpit, the arm I got the shot in. No other issues at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                              Just a solid post Trooper! Keep the soapbox handy.

Easy for any of us to play Monday morning quarterback.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Thank you sir! The one thing my supervisor at work appreciates in me (I lack the intellectual ability and technical attributes to be top-shelf) is my ability to own my mistakes. I will admit when Iím wrong and work very hard to not repeat them. Itís a trait I try to imprint on my kids, my players and my subordinates. I truly wish our politicians would own their mistakes and stop trying to convince us their way is always right and the other is always wrong.

I really do appreciate the factual posts here and I take a lot of information from here. I augment that and do my own reading/research to try and educate myself on this virus situation. I truly do appreciate those that post here in a constructive manner. Your contribution is a positive and I can tell you the things Iíve learned have been used to help educate some at my job. With all of the information out there, they have asked for my input as they (at least pretend) to respect my opinion/knowledge. I have utilized linked studies some of you have helpfully posted and I have mentioned some of the things you have said almost verbatim.

Comment

• Originally posted by FDNYIrish1 View Post
                                Three days post Moderna first shot and the only side effect I can report was swollen Lymph Nodes in my left armpit, the arm I got the shot in. No other issues at all.

I had no side effects other than mild injection site soreness the day after the shot. I feel lucky as a close friend, his wife and daughter all had worse effects.

He had bruising at the site and significant soreness
                                His wife could barely move her arm for two days and felt generally lethargic for 1.5 days
                                The daughter had a very sore arm, bad almost flu level soreness/fatigue for a couple days

I will say that these people arenít someone Iíd want on my team in a fight (not physical specimens), but the daughter is in her early 20s (albeit pretty overweight). I think some are bound to have a more significant reaction and I feel quite fortunate to not have encountered any yet.

We all had the Moderna vaccine

Comment

No warfare will be needed. If you listen to Birx and Faucci now, the covid response under Trump was highly politicized, anti science and pushed false data into the public. They downplayed it at every turn, undermined the science and scientists and did everything their power to make sure the response was as tepid and ineffective as possible.

Literally a 5th grader with a working knowledge of how washing your hands to prevent spread of diseases will do better.
                                  It all depends on what Fauci you listen too. I have seen an interview with that he said himself that Trump and him didnít always see eye to eye but Trump never stepped over his advice. The problem is Fauci talks out of both sides of his mouth.
                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• https://www.timesofisrael.com/week-a...lis-get-covid/

The week after 128,000 Israelis over 70 received their second jab, only 0.015% tested positive for the virus, whereas in the time span 0.65% of all Israelis tested positive, indicating 95% effectiveness.

The vaccine works folks. Get it when you can.
                                    Last edited by notredomer23; 01-25-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                      It all depends on what Fauci you listen too. I have seen an interview with that he said himself that Trump and him didn’t always see eye to eye but Trump never stepped over his advice. The problem is Fauci talks out of both sides of his mouth.
                                      I agree to an extent. Birx has to but i am not solid that it was intentional.

I have to also imagine that working for 40 years and under 6 different admins where your educated data driven recommendations have been previously heeded, now you work for a person who doesnt care about the data and doesn't like what the data entails. This person, the most powerful person in the world is belittling you in public, undermining confidence in your expertise, cutting off your access to data and diverting it to a politically motivated office controlled by a person who will tell the President exactly what he wants to hear can be a bit of a concern. I'd likely try to make the best of the situation and try to maintain the job I love.

But I also see what happened to multiple career government people who stood up to him. They were all fired or removed from their positions. If I wanted to keep my job and stay under th radar in such a public position, Id likely be a little mealy mouth as well.

I cant begin to understand the position Trump put Fauci in simply becasue the dude didnt like what the data was saying.

I dont understand why people think he is some kind of split personality. I dont think he is. I think he is the same person who worked for 6 other admins. Now he is in a terrible position trying to work for a guy who doesnt respect the data, doesn't respect you, and shoots from the hip and would rather listen to something that sounds good rather than what is right and correct.

When did you first realize things were going wrong between you and President Trump?

It coincided very much with the rapid escalation of cases in the northeastern part of the country, particularly the New York metropolitan area. I would try to express the gravity of the situation, and the response of the president was always leaning toward, “Well, it’s not that bad, right?” And I would say, “Yes, it is that bad.” It was almost a reflex response, trying to coax you to minimize it. Not saying, “I want you to minimize it,” but, “Oh, really, was it that bad?”

And the other thing that made me really concerned was, it was clear that he was getting input from people who were calling him up, I don’t know who, people he knew from business, saying, “Hey, I heard about this drug, isn’t it great?” or, “Boy, this convalescent plasma is really phenomenal.” And I would try to, you know, calmly explain that you find out if something works by doing an appropriate clinical trial; you get the information, you give it a peer review. And he’d say, “Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, this stuff really works.”

He would take just as seriously their opinion — based on no data, just anecdote — that something might really be important. It wasn’t just hydroxychloroquine, it was a variety of alternative-medicine-type approaches. It was always, “A guy called me up, a friend of mine from blah, blah, blah.” That’s when my anxiety started to escalate.

There was a point last February when things changed. Alex Azar was running the White House Coronavirus Task Force, and then suddenly Mike Pence was, and President Trump was at the podium taking the questions and arguing with reporters. What happened?

To be totally honest with you, I don’t know. We were having, you know, the standard kind of scientifically based, public-health-based meetings. Then I started getting anxious that this was not going in the right direction — the anecdotally driven situations, the minimization, the president surrounding himself with people saying things that didn’t make any scientific sense. We would say things like: “This is an outbreak. Infectious diseases run their own course unless one does something to intervene.” And then he would get up and start talking about, “It’s going to go away, it’s magical, it’s going to disappear.”

That’s when it became clear to me: I’m not going to proactively go out and volunteer my contradiction of what the president said. But he would say something that clearly was not correct, and then a reporter would say, “Well, let’s hear from Dr. Fauci.” I would have to get up and say, “No, I’m sorry, I do not think that is the case.” It isn’t like I took any pleasure in contradicting the president of the United States. I have a great deal of respect for the office. But I made a decision that I just had to. Otherwise I would be compromising my own integrity, and be giving a false message to the world. If I didn’t speak up, it would be almost tacit approval that what he was saying was OK.

That’s when I started to get into some trouble. The people around him, his inner circle, were quite upset that I would dare publicly contradict the president. That’s when we started getting into things I felt were unfortunate and somewhat nefarious — namely, allowing Peter Navarro to write an editorial in USA Today saying I’m wrong on most of the things I say. Or to have the White House press office send out a detailed list of things I said that turned out to be not true — all of which were nonsense because they were all true. The very press office that was making decisions as to whether I can go on a TV show or talk to you.
                                      But then there is this. Birx is trying to reshape her legacy here. I honestly have less trust in Birx than I do in Fauci. I think Fauci was an honorable man that was put in a terrible position. I think much much less of Birx
                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2-full minutes of Brianna Keilar stuffing Dr. Birx into a locker... <a href="https://t.co/tSLJ2ANO8k">pic.twitter.com/tSLJ2ANO8k</a></p>&mdash; Rex Chapman���� (@RexChapman) <a href="https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1353826678519300097?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 25, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                      Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 01-25-2021, 05:20 PM.
                                      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                        The traditional kinds of vaccines are:
                                        Inactivated and Live Attenuated Vaccines. Most vaccines in use today incorporate an inactivated or weakened form of a virus that is not able to cause disease. When immune cells encounter them, they make antibodies. Conventional vaccines for influenza, chickenpox, measles, mumps and rubella all fall into this category. The limitations with the flu vaccine is that it depends on anticipating the type of flu virus that may be dominant in the U.S. and that it requires growing in a medium, lots of it. Multiple strains of influenza usually circulate and protection is against the one strain.

DNA Vaccines deliver genetic instructions for building a viral protein. The protein can then stimulate the immune system to make antibodies and help mount other defenses against the coronavirus. DNA vaccines work by injecting genetically engineered plasmid containing the DNA sequence encoding the antigen(s) against which an immune response is sought, so the cells directly produce the antigen, thus causing a protective immunological response.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are messenger RNA vaccines which skip DNA and instead deliver messenger RNA into cells. The cells read the mRNA and make spike proteins that provoke an immune response.

All rely on triggering an immune response once the body detects the virus. They tested to see which group between those that got the vaccine and those that did not got the infection (efficacy), which was 90-95% effective in preventing Covid-19 disease based on symptoms.
                                        To my knowledge they did not test to see if the one vaccinated individual out of 40,000 who did develop the disease from the SARS-CoV-2 virus could transmit it.

This outlines how that study might proceed.
                                        Vaccines stop COVID-19 symptoms, but do they stop transmission?

There are ethical considerations here in deliberately infecting volunteers without knowing the impact and whether a vaccine along these lines was effective in young adults would have the same efficacy in older adults.
                                        Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                        Vaccines do not block the transmission, they help your body recover through a more rapid response. Please, PLEASE, get this information out: you can still carry and transmit SARS-CoV-2, even after you are vaccinated. You can also still get infected, but the severity of the infection should be less. Keep your masks on, and keep your distancing going for one month after you get your second shot. I believe the antibodies don't fully kick in until 3-4 weeks after the second shot.
                                        Are you saying there is no correlation with transmission rates and viral load? Don't vaccines help the body's ability to reduce VL, ie antibodies fight the infected cells faster and more efficient than the infected reproduce? How is this all not directly related? I know the trials didn't specifically test for infection rate and transmission, but I'm just merely asking, if they're all related to viral load in some way, how is reducing one not also reducing the others? I don't think anyone should be definitively saying anything one way or the other, until the trials have concluded.

*FWIW, I'm not suggesting to anyone if you've had your shots that you're good to go. I still socially distance and wear a mask even though I'm fully vaccinated. I'm simply trying to get a better understanding, because at this moment, I'm hearing both arguments from different epidemiologists/virologists/etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                          Are you saying there is no correlation with transmission rates and viral load? Don't vaccines help the body's ability to reduce VL, ie antibodies fight the infected cells faster and more efficient than the infected reproduce? How is this all not directly related? I know the trials didn't specifically test for infection rate and transmission, but I'm just merely asking, if they're all related to viral load in some way, how is reducing one not also reducing the others? I don't think anyone should be definitively saying anything one way or the other, until the trials have concluded.

*FWIW, I'm not suggesting to anyone if you've had your shots that you're good to go. I still socially distance and wear a mask even though I'm fully vaccinated. I'm simply trying to get a better understanding, because at this moment, I'm hearing both arguments from different epidemiologists/virologists/etc.
                                          I think we need to stop underselling the vaccine. It's only being undersold for public policy purposes for those not vaxxed yet to keep masking. If you get the vaccine, you're good.

Although no rigorous study has yet analyzed whether vaccinated people can spread the virus, it would be surprising if they did. “If there is an example of a vaccine in widespread clinical use that has this selective effect — prevents disease but not infection — I can’t think of one!” Dr. Paul Sax of Harvard has written in The New England Journal of Medicine. (And, no, exclamation points are not common in medical journals.) On Twitter, Dr. Monica Gandhi of the University of California, San Francisco, argued: “Please be assured that YOU ARE SAFE after vaccine from what matters — disease and spreading.”
                                          In Israel, I shared a few posts up. Those with two doses over 70 were testing positive for COVID at the rate of a vaccine being 95% effective. So if they're negative for the virus and staying negative, how can they spread it?

Comment

I think we need to stop underselling the vaccine. It's only being undersold for public policy purposes for those not vaxxed yet to keep masking. If you get the vaccine, you're good.

In Israel, I shared a few posts up. Those with two doses over 70 were testing positive for COVID at the rate of a vaccine being 95% effective. So if they're negative for the virus and staying negative, how can they spread it?
                                            Thanks for posting. This is actually one of the references I was using for making my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post

Vaccines don't stop the transmission from one person to another. Masks, etc. do. In the case of the Covid virus, it is by airborne transmission. Airborne transmission is different from droplet transmission - as in the flu - as it refers to the presence of microbes within droplet nuclei, which are generally considered to be particles <5μm in diameter, can remain in the air for long periods of time and be transmitted to others over distances greater than 1 m. It can also be transmitted by surface contact. Viral load refers to how much virus one takes increased with the proximity to someone with respiratory symptoms.

As far as types of vaccines, Johnson and Johnson's is classified as a viral vector vaccine, which is different than the types mentioned above. That vaccine added the spike protein gene to a virus called an adenovirus. The adenovirus slips into cells and unloads the gene. Because the adenovirus is missing one of its own genes, it cannot replicate and is therefore safe. It's a different way of tweaking the immune system to recognize the coronavirus.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WASHINGTON (AP) — Biden administration will boost states&#39; vaccine allocation for next week by about 17%.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1354170402466111488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WASHINGTON (AP) — White House: US expects to deliver enough vaccine to states this summer for 2-dose regimen for 300M Americans.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1354179975658811392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Almost there...

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WASHINGTON (AP) ó Biden administration will boost states' vaccine allocation for next week by about 17%.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1354170402466111488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WASHINGTON (AP) ó White House: US expects to deliver enough vaccine to states this summer for 2-dose regimen for 300M Americans.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1354179975658811392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Almost there...
                                                  Idk. Anecdotally, there are a lot of people I know who technically qualify for the series now and can't get it.

Will they enact the Defense Production Act to make more at a much quicker rate? This seems to be a mess right now in most states.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                                    Vaccines don't stop the transmission from one person to another. Masks, etc. do. In the case of the Covid virus, it is by airborne transmission. Airborne transmission is different from droplet transmission - as in the flu - as it refers to the presence of microbes within droplet nuclei, which are generally considered to be particles <5μm in diameter, can remain in the air for long periods of time and be transmitted to others over distances greater than 1 m. It can also be transmitted by surface contact. Viral load refers to how much virus one takes increased with the proximity to someone with respiratory symptoms.

As far as types of vaccines, Johnson and Johnson's is classified as a viral vector vaccine, which is different than the types mentioned above. That vaccine added the spike protein gene to a virus called an adenovirus. The adenovirus slips into cells and unloads the gene. Because the adenovirus is missing one of its own genes, it cannot replicate and is therefore safe. It's a different way of tweaking the immune system to recognize the coronavirus.
                                                    Per a contact at Purdue who works in the Dep of Biological Sciences as a professor in immunology and infectious disease:

"To be contagious, you have to be shedding the virus or antigens. The only way the virus can make antigens is by replicating inside of you. Once your immune system has the tools to fight virus, it won't be able to replicate. So in theory, once vaccinated, you shouldn't be able to transmit."

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WASHINGTON (AP) ó Biden administration will boost states' vaccine allocation for next week by about 17%.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1354170402466111488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WASHINGTON (AP) ó White House: US expects to deliver enough vaccine to states this summer for 2-dose regimen for 300M Americans.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Lemire (@JonLemire) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1354179975658811392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Almost there...
                                                      I'd like to know how he's going to increase capacity so quickly. I thought the manufactures were already running at capacity. Is he going to require other pharma's to start making the vaccines? If so, which vaccine are they using? Anyone have the details?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                        I'd like to know how he's going to increase capacity so quickly. I thought the manufactures were already running at capacity. Is he going to require other pharma's to start making the vaccines? If so, which vaccine are they using? Anyone have the details?
                                                        Maybe having a competent administration that takes science and public health seriously is actually really important in getting things done efficiently.

Comment

I agree to an extent. Birx has to but i am not solid that it was intentional.

I have to also imagine that working for 40 years and under 6 different admins where your educated data driven recommendations have been previously heeded, now you work for a person who doesnt care about the data and doesn't like what the data entails. This person, the most powerful person in the world is belittling you in public, undermining confidence in your expertise, cutting off your access to data and diverting it to a politically motivated office controlled by a person who will tell the President exactly what he wants to hear can be a bit of a concern. I'd likely try to make the best of the situation and try to maintain the job I love.
                                                          Maybe Trump acted that way because Faucci originally said it wasn't something to be concerned about. Trump took his cue from Faucci and told the nation they same thing making Trump look foolish and we all know about his personality and how he acts.

Comment

Maybe having a competent administration that takes science and public health seriously is actually really important in getting things done efficiently.

Comment

• None of their plans/projections etc account for other vaccines yet to be approved. Guessing they canít externally plan for those since theyíre not approved yet. Think thatís why they set the bar low-ish for Pfizerr and Moderna. The absolute need to ramp up capacity of those two wonít be as critical because JNJ coming on board is another 100MM people vaccinated by June.

Comment

Maybe Trump acted that way because Faucci originally said it wasn't something to be concerned about. Trump took his cue from Faucci and told the nation they same thing making Trump look foolish and we all know about his personality and how he acts.
                                                                If you could provide me a source for that as I haven't heard anything of the sort. Id be surprised if even in December/January when it was spreading in China that Fauci would have ever told the leader of the free world this wasnt a "big deal".

I found this. Is this what you a talking about?
                                                                On Jan. 26, Fauci gave an interview to John Catsimatidis, a syndicated radio host in New York. “What can you tell the American people about what’s been going on?” Catsimatidis asked. “Should they be scared?”

“I don’t think so,” Fauci said. “The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It’s a very, very low risk to the United States, but it’s something we, as public health officials, need to take very seriously.”

Fauci reiterated that COVID-19 “isn’t something the American people need to worry about or be frightened about” because, at the time, it was centered in China and the U.S. could screen travelers from that nation.

But Fauci also twice described the virus as “an evolving situation,” and said, “Every day, we have to look at it very carefully.”
                                                                Taken in context I totally agree with Fauci's statements.

I also found this:
                                                                https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/tr...avirus-threat/
                                                                Defending his early response to the coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump wrongly claimed that in late February, Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, was saying, “This is no problem. This is going to blow over.”

In a Feb. 29 interview, Fauci said that “right now at this moment” the risk was “low” and there was “no need” for people “to change anything that you’re doing on a day-by-day basis.” But he added that “this could change,” that people needed to be wary of “community spread,” and that it could develop into a “major outbreak.”

Trump’s comment came in response to a question about press reports that he ignored warnings about the growing threat of the coronavirus in more than a dozen classified intelligence briefings included in the President’s Daily Brief in January and February.

Reporter, April 28: Mr. President, can you clarify what your intelligence advisers were telling you back in January and February? Were you warned about what was happening with coronavirus and the threat to this country? Should there have been stronger warnings? What were you hearing every day?

Trump: Yeah, yeah. Well, I think probably a lot more to the Democrats, because a month later, Nancy Pelosi was saying, “Let’s dance in the streets of Chinatown.” You go back and you take a look at — even professionals, like Anthony [Fauci], were saying this is no problem. This is late in February: “This is no problem. This is going to blow — this is going to blow over.” And they’re professionals, and they’re good professionals.

Most people thought this was going to blow over. And if you can go — we did, I think, on January — toward the end of January, we did a ban with China. That was a very — I think you just said, a little while ago, that was a very important step. And then ultimately, we did a ban on Europe. That was very early in the process.

Because if you take the ban and you look at it, I was badly criticized by Sleepy Joe Biden, by others. I was criticized horribly for — I mean, he called — he said all sorts of things. We won’t even say it. And then he apologized because — two weeks ago, he put out a statement that I was right. We did a ban. … And many people — Democrats, professionals, probably Republicans — said that this would never happen, there’d be nothing; no big problem. You saw that, I think, better than anybody, Deborah. This was after the ban. So, obviously, I took it very serious. I’m not going be banning China from coming in if I didn’t take it seriously. And I did that early.

There are several misleading statements in this response:

As we have written, House Speaker Pelosi did not say, “Let’s dance in the streets of Chinatown.” During her visit on Feb. 24 — three weeks before six Bay Area counties implemented shelter-in-place restrictions — she told people it was safe to eat and shop in Chinatown at a time when tourism was suffering because of the novel coronavirus, which originated in China late last year.
                                                                Trump did not “ban” travel from China. There were exceptions, including for Americans and their family members, and for cargo shipments between the countries.
                                                                Biden did not “apologize” for criticizing the China travel restrictions. His campaign on April 3 said Biden supported Trump’s decision to impose travel restrictions on China, and argued that Biden’s comments about “Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia” — made the same day as Trump announced the travel restrictions — were not a reference to those restrictions.
                                                                But here we’ll focus on Trump’s claim that in late February, “even professionals, like Anthony [Fauci], were saying this is no problem” and “this is going to blow over.” That’s not what Fauci was saying at that time.

This isn’t the first time Trump has misleadingly cited Fauci’s late February assessments of the virus.

On April 12, Trump retweeted a post by DeAnna Lorraine — a recently defeated California Republican congressional candidate — in which Lorraine claimed that “Fauci was telling people on February 29th that there was nothing to worry about and it posed no threat to the US public at large.” She ended her post, “Time to #FireFauci…”

Sorry Fake News, it’s all on tape. I banned China long before people spoke up. Thank you @OANN https://t.co/d40JQkUZg5

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 12, 2020

In a Feb. 29 interview with Kristen Welker and Peter Alexander on NBC’s “Today” show, Fauci said the risk from COVID-19 “is still low,” and he said there was no need for people to change their daily routines “at this moment.” But he warned that could change if “you start to see community spread.”

Alexander, Feb. 29: So, Dr. Fauci, it’s Saturday morning in America. People are waking up right now with real concerns about this. They want to go to malls and movies, maybe the gym as well. Should we be changing our habits and, if so, how?

Fauci: No. Right now, at this moment, there’s no need to change anything that you’re doing on a day-by-day basis. Right now the risk is still low, but this could change. I’ve said that many times even on this program. You’ve got to watch out because although the risk is low now, you don’t need to change anything you’re doing. When you start to see community spread, this could change and force you to become much more attentive to doing things that would protect you from spread.

Welker: Dr. Fauci, quickly, how does this all end?

Fauci: You know, it ends if you — it depends on the nature of the outbreak. I mean, this could be a major outbreak. I hope not. Or it could be something that’s reasonably well controlled. At the end of the day, this will ultimately go down. Hopefully we could protect the American public from any serious degree of morbidity or mortality. That’s the reason why we’ve got to do the things that we have in our plan.

Fauci’s comments came as concerns were just starting to emerge in the U.S. about “community spread,” meaning that the “source of infection is unknown,” as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains, and the virus may have been transmitted person-to-person from someone in the U.S., rather than by exposure to an infected traveler who had brought it to the U.S.

On Feb. 26, Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a telebriefing that the CDC fully anticipated seeing community spread of the virus within U.S. borders.

“It’s not so much a question of if this will happen anymore,” she said, “but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness.”

On Feb. 28, Messonnier reported that there were three confirmed cases of person-to-person spread in the United States. She said that while “the immediate risk to the general American public remains low … [o]ur guidelines and advice are likely to be interim and subject to change as we learn more.”

At a press conference on Feb. 29, the afternoon after his “Today” show interview, Fauci reiterated that the country as a whole, at that time, “still remains at low risk. But when we say that, we want to underscore that this is an evolving situation.”

Fauci, Feb. 29: But as we say this, we need to prepare for further challenges. And we will have them. You will hear about additional cases that will be coming on. You should not be surprised by that, but to realize that that is something that is anticipated when you get community spread.

So when you have cases throughout the world, the way we’re seeing now — South Korea, Italy, Iran and places like that — the United States cannot be completely immune to that. The challenge is how we deal with it.

It wasn’t until two weeks later, on March 16, that Trump imposed social distancing guidelines.

One could question whether Fauci was slow to publicly call on the federal government to enact those guidelines. But Fauci’s comments in late February were far different from Trump’s claim that Fauci said, “This is no problem. This is going to blow over.”

FactCheck.org does not accept advertising. We rely on grants and individual donations from people like you. Please consider a donation. Credit card donations may be made through our “Donate” page. If you prefer to give by check, send to: FactCheck.org, Annenberg Public Policy Center, 202 S. 36th St., Philadelphia, PA 19104.
                                                                Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 01-27-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• The data from the two antibodies studies has been very promising.

Regeneron's antibody cocktail shows promise as 'passive vaccine' against COVID-19

(Ref: Bloomberg, TheStreet, This is Money, FinanzNachrichten, Morningstar, PR Newswire)
                                                                  January 26th, 2021
                                                                  By: Anna Bratulic
                                                                  COVID-19 Clinical Research (R&D)

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals on Tuesday reported initial results from a Phase III study showing that, compared to placebo, its antibody cocktail REGEN-COV (casirivimab/imdevimab) reduced overall COVID-19 infections seen within the first week among people at high risk of contracting SARS-CoV-2, with 100% prevention of symptomatic cases. Chief scientific officer George Yancopoulos said the findings suggest REGEN-COV may confer "immediate passive immunity to those at high risk of infection, in contrast to active vaccines which take weeks to provide protection," adding it could also be an important option for immunocompromised people or those who are otherwise unable to be vaccinated.

The ongoing prevention trial has enrolled over 2000 people aged 43 years on average, and roughly split between men and women. They were eligible to participate in the study if they had a household member with COVID-19. The study, whose full results are expected to be released early in the second quarter, is evaluating the ability of REGEN-COV to prevent asymptomatic and symptomatic COVID-19 infections as the primary endpoint.

The current analysis focused on 409 evaluable subjects who were seronegative for COVID-19 at baseline and were tested weekly by nasopharyngeal swab. Regeneron said that among the 186 people given REGEN-COV, none had symptomatic infection, compared with eight cases seen in the placebo group, which enrolled 223 individuals. Passive vaccination with REGEN-COV also led to roughly 50% lower overall rates of infection, including both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases, with 10 cases in the REGEN-COV arm and 23 for placebo.

Lower disease burden

Regeneron noted that infections occurring with REGEN-COV therapy, which were all asymptomatic, had decreased peak virus levels versus the placebo group, where there was a more than 100-fold higher peak viral load. Moreover, no infected individuals in the REGEN-COV group had "high" viral loads, defined as exceeding 104 copies/mL, whereas 62% of infected individuals in the placebo group did. The company also said infections in the REGEN-COV arm lasted no more than one week, while approximately 40% of infections among placebo group participants lasted three to four weeks.

In terms of disease burden, Regeneron stated that total viral shedding weeks in the REGEN-COV group was nine weeks, compared to 44 weeks for placebo, including a total 22 weeks of "high" viral shedding. The placebo group also had a total of 18 symptomatic weeks, compared to none for REGEN-COV. Meanwhile, adverse events were more frequent for those on placebo at 18%, versus 12% for REGEN-COV, driven by the increased rate of SARS-CoV-2 infections. In addition, there was one death and one COVID-19-related hospitalisation in the placebo group, versus none for the treatment arm.

Injection instead of infusion

David Weinreich, who heads global clinical development at Regeneron, noted that "in this prevention trial, REGEN-COV was given as injections rather than an infusion, which makes administration much more convenient and efficient." US officials recently said the bulk of COVID-19 antibody treatments delivered to states every week were going unused in part because they have to be administered by infusion in a hospital or outpatient setting, and within a small window after patients contract the virus. Meanwhile, Weinreich said Regeneron plans to discuss the latest results with regulatory authorities, including the potential to expand its existing emergency-use authorisation.

The dual antibody therapy was authorised by the FDA for emergency use last November to treat mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adults and paediatric patients. Regeneron previously said REGEN-COV reduced viral load and lowered patient medical visits, according to a Phase II/III study analysis of COVID-19 outpatients. The treatment is also being studied in two late-stage studies involving hospitalised patients, while the company is investigating whether the therapy can prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection when delivered intranasally via adeno-associated virus vectors.

Separately on Tuesday, Eli Lilly reported Phase III study results showing that the antibody combination of bamlanivimab plus etesevimab significantly reduced COVID-19-related hospitalisations and deaths by 70% in high-risk patients recently diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2.

Comment

• 8 drugs Trump has been given for his COVID-19 treatment

Trump got Regeneron's monoclonal antibody cocktail of REGN-COV2. Trump was given dexamethazone even though the steroid is usually recommended for hospitalized patients who had been sick for more than a week and were on mechanical ventilators. It reduced COVID-19 deaths by one-third for those who received it, but had no impact on patients receiving no respiratory support.

But it had no impact on patients receiving no respiratory support. Dexamethasone was getting in short supply in the summer as hospitals were stocking up for another wave. Its price went up 137%.

Trump talked about invoking the Defense Production Act, which prevents price gouging, but never followed through. Biden did it on his second day in office.

Comment

Total hospitalizations have decreased by 15% since they peaked at 132,470 on January 6th, down to 113,609 yesterday.

7 day case average peaked on January 11th at 254K. As of yesterday, the 7 day average was 179,707, a 29% decrease.

According to Bloomberg, hospitalizations are decreasing in every single state with the exception of New York, and even there they appear to be stabilizing.

More than 21 million vaccines have been administered, averaging over 1MM shots/day already. JNJ approval to come in the next couple weeks should be the shot that ends the pandemic.
                                                                      Thanks. Would rep you if I could, but have to spread it around.

Comment

I'm probably the wrong guy to go into detail, but most of the changes he is making are about improved distribution and offering logistical assistance to states. He has been immediately addressing supply chain issues, and is using the Defense Production Act to ramp up the production of specialty equipment (e.g. special syringes that get more doses out of each Pfizer vial with less waste) and raw materials. One of his officials confirmed today that they no longer have a "stockpile" because of how they are increasing distribution... vaccines are only being held for 2-3 days before being sent out to states which is a lot less than it was previously.

All of this adds up to them exceeding original projections and targets. There is still the risk production failures by Moderna or Pfizer that could throw a wrench in the whole thing, but everything the federal government can do to assist with expediency and efficiency they are trying. I do not know what specifically they are doing, if anything, to increase production beyond "maximum" but they are assisting with procurement/delivery of the raw materials used to make the vaccines and addressing bottlenecks that can impact production. The new targets and projections are better than they were mainly have to do with the increased vaccination rates not necessarily increased production rates (although those have also been scaling up recently to meet demand/distribution). At the start, vaccine distribution was a rudderless mess with some states and localities failing massively without guidance and help from the federal government that they're now getting. From a couple weeks ago:
                                                                        The nationís vaccine rollout has been slower than officials initially planned. So far the U.S. has distributed just more than 13 million vaccine doses but has only administered 4.2 million ďshots in arms,Ē according to data last updated on Saturday from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Officials aimed to vaccinate 20 million people with Pfizerís and Modernaís two-dose Covid-19 vaccines by the end of December.
                                                                        So the target in December was 40 million shots-in-arms and we had only realized about 10% of that target because states/localities were completely unprepared to effectively distribute and administer the doses they were getting. It was a shit show of doses getting thrown out en masse in some locations and others being starved of the doses they needed. Relative to what we saw in December, it's now running like a well oiled machine and only getting better daily.

Comment

I'm probably the wrong guy to go into detail, but most of the changes he is making are about improved distribution and offering logistical assistance to states. He has been immediately addressing supply chain issues, and is using the Defense Production Act to ramp up the production of specialty equipment (e.g. special syringes that get more doses out of each Pfizer vial with less waste) and raw materials. One of his officials confirmed today that they no longer have a "stockpile" because of how they are increasing distribution... vaccines are only being held for 2-3 days before being sent out to states which is a lot less than it was previously.

All of this adds up to them exceeding original projections and targets. There is still the risk production failures by Moderna or Pfizer that could throw a wrench in the whole thing, but everything the federal government can do to assist with expediency and efficiency they are trying. I do not know what specifically they are doing, if anything, to increase production beyond "maximum" but they are assisting with procurement/delivery of the raw materials used to make the vaccines and addressing bottlenecks that can impact production. The new targets and projections are better than they were mainly have to do with the increased vaccination rates not necessarily increased production rates (although those have also been scaling up recently to meet demand/distribution). At the start, vaccine distribution was a rudderless mess with some states and localities failing massively without guidance and help from the federal government that they're now getting. From a couple weeks ago:
                                                                          So the target in December was 40 million shots-in-arms and we had only realized about 10% of that target because states/localities were completely unprepared to effectively distribute and administer the doses they were getting. It was a shit show of doses getting thrown out en masse in some locations and others being starved of the doses they needed. Relative to what we saw in December, it's now running like a well oiled machine and only getting better daily.
                                                                          Thanks Lax. I was thinking more in line with how do you speed up production lines that are running at capacity. The larger vials make sense.

Comment

• So I received my 2nd Moderna vaccine yesterday morning. Not gonna lie, last night was a little rough. Had about 12 hours of pretty consistent headache, fever, chills, myalgias, and fatigue. Which is actually awesome because it means I'll likely have a robust immune response to this vaccine.

I'm feeling a little better today. I would trade 12 hours of flu-like symptoms for protection from this awful virus. My sister (40s, healthy) had 1+ months of symptoms from COVID which started in early Nov. She is just now feeling back to herself. Her course was considered "mild to moderate" based off COVID classifications. Basically if you are not hospitalized you have a mild to moderate illness. I've known many who have more severe courses, even had someone in the family die from it.

We are on the verge of wiping this pandemic out, which is very exciting. But, we need everyone to be willing participants. These mRNA vaccines are nearly 100% effective vs severe disease (hospitalization or death), which is an incredible triumph of modern medicine. This will be written in the history books and it may be the most salient feature of this entire pandemic. We will surely mourn those that died, but also marvel at science's ability to create a way out of more suffering.

GET YOUR VACCINES ONCE THEY ARE AVAILABLE TO YOU! And enjoy your 12 hours of "manflu" knowing its probably saving a life.
                                                                            Last edited by InKellyWeTrust; 01-28-2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Not ideal if you’re a fan of Cuomo or those who believe in his leadership during the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/n...e=articleShare

Comment

• Cuomo's a democratic trump with better public speaking skills. Flash over substance.

Comment

• Originally posted by PerthDomer View Post
                                                                                  Cuomo's a democratic trump with better public speaking skills. Flash over substance.
                                                                                  And pierced nipples
                                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by PerthDomer View Post
                                                                                    Cuomo's a democratic trump with better public speaking skills. Flash over substance.
                                                                                    He does a great Al Pacino impression.

Comment

• JNJ released their results:

66% effective against all COVID
                                                                                      85% effective against severe COVID
                                                                                      1 shot, full effectiveness after 28 days, some effectiveness after 14.

I wonder if states will shift their distribution plans depending where we’re at when this gets authorized to get in the arms of younger, less risk demographics and save the more effective vaccines for 65+ and at risk.

Looking at flu vaccine efficacy by year, no shot comes close to 66% effective. One year had 60% effectiveness, with the average being around 35% effective, but as low as 10% effective.
                                                                                      Last edited by notredomer23; 01-29-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Yea, the real issue is overwhelmed hospitals. In the UK the bulk of hospitalized patients are 40 to 70. Younger people just have a shot at surviving hospitalizations. By the time J&J is available hopefully the very old have already started mRNA vaccination and we can hit the under 65 cohort.

Comment

JNJ released their results:

66% effective against all COVID
                                                                                          85% effective against severe COVID
                                                                                          1 shot, full effectiveness after 28 days, some effectiveness after 14.

I wonder if states will shift their distribution plans depending where weíre at when this gets authorized to get in the arms of younger, less risk demographics and save the more effective vaccines for 65+ and at risk.

Looking at flu vaccine efficacy by year, no shot comes close to 66% effective. One year had 60% effectiveness, with the average being around 35% effective, but as low as 10% effective.
                                                                                          I'm guessing a lot of the J&J vaccine will be sent as aid to developing countries due to the much smaller logistical footprint. As long as other countries have wells of infection we won't be safe here, especially when not everyone is going to be willing to get vaccinated.

Crazy thing is that 66% effective while not perfect is way higher than your typical flu vaccine for example (
                                                                                          "Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!"
                                                                                          --Samuel L

Comment

• Andrew Cuomo needs fried. He literally murdered 1000s if people like Hitler.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                                              Andrew Cuomo needs fried. He literally murdered 1000s if people like Hitler.
                                                                                              Hitler is reserved for trump and his supporters. Bidet has this under control now down 30 bucks

Comment

• The arrogance kills me. He even published a book.

Dude is a flat out murdered and needs to stay away from the tv. But he can’t because ego says he smart.

What a retard and I use that word carefully. He’s must be fucking retarded.

Comment

• Here's a site that - among other data - has both the positive test for a state's population but % of pop that has been vaccinated.

Data for Arizona, for instance, indicates under-testing - "testing in Arizona is limited and that most cases may go undetected". Positive tests are at 15.4%. Estimates are that Maricopa County has an 11% infection rate and that infection rate is 0.87.
                                                                                                  https://covidactnow.org/us/arizona-az/?s=1564504

West Virginia has a 9.2% positive tests, 10.7% vaccinated, and 0.87 infection rate.
                                                                                                  https://covidactnow.org/us/west_virginia-wv/?s=1564504

States are also broken down into county data.

Comment

• And anyone who lifted him over the past year needs to have a serious accounting for their stance and ability to think.

But that will not happen.

Comment

• https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/4275954001/ Piggybacking on Lax's previous post regarding improved distribution. Seems the biggest thing was that Trump's delivery plan was inefficient and put the onus on states where as Biden has employed federal level guidance and assistance to ensure 99% delivery of vaccines to wheret hey were supposed to get.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X