COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
    Deaths per 1M population is listed at 1,043. That works out to 1 in 1,000. Unless I'm missing something, the tweet was not misleading.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
    I see that now, I got confused between North and South stats. The tweet mentioned North, but the article quoted below mentioned stats for South. Thanks for clarifying!
    I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

Deaths per 1M population is listed at 1,043. That works out to 1 in 1,000. Unless I'm missing something, the tweet was not misleading.

It is a little misleading because it makes it out IMO that they are the first state to reach that. If every 1 in 1000 North Dakota residents died, that would mean 1 in roughly every 600 NY/NJ residents died.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
        It is a little misleading because it makes it out IMO that they are the first state to reach that. If every 1 in 1000 North Dakota residents died, that would mean 1 in roughly every 600 NY/NJ residents died.
        LOL, how can a simple statement of fact be a little misleading? The tweet mentioned no other states. I agree with you that North Dakota is by far from the worst as there are 7 others that have worse rates. They aren't terribly far off the average for the US.

Comment

• As one indication of how post-Covid healthcare may be, here's a good article on many physicians closing their practices or retiring.

Doctors Are Calling It Quits Under Stress of the Pandemic
          Thousands of medical practices are closing, as doctors and nurses decide to retire early or shift to less intense jobs.
          (NYT)

The Comment section of the article was reposted in Reddit which reflects how many nurses and doctors have been cut back, laid off, etc. by HC systems and cannot find jobs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...stress_of_the/

Comment

LOL, how can a simple statement of fact be a little misleading? The tweet mentioned no other states. I agree with you that North Dakota is by far from the worst as there are 7 others that have worse rates. They aren't terribly far off the average for the US.
            It's misleading because everyday we hear "US reaches new COVID milestone" whether it is about cases, hospitalizations, or deaths. The wording is my only point, not disagreeing with the overall tweet. To me, the tweet reads as if North Dakota is the first to reach that mark, when in reality, there's 7 other states that did that first and by the end many others will have as well.

Comment

Yeah I was gonna say the math is correct, but misleading. North Dakota would need to continue at the same general rate for like 2 more months to reach New Jersey/New York levels i think. Last I saw they were at like 1300 deaths/million or something.

I'm pretty sure the models have ND experiencing a big drop over the next month whether people comply with the mandates (they wont) or not.

It is rather rich though that the media is more than happy to dump on states with...a specific party occupying the governor's mansion while absolved other state leaders of any sort of responsibility.

FWIW, our governor here is far from a MAGA republican. He's more blue dog democrat than he is a Republican. On the bright side, he has for the most part appeared to understand what people will cooperate with.

The focus on SD...I suspect its maybe 1/3 genuine concern and 2/3 media hating Noem. Its the only rational position to take considering the pass they have given any and all governors of the other party.
              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• https://247sports.com/college/notre-...na--155035340/

Legendary retired college football coach Lou Holtz has tested positive for COVID-19, it was revealed on Thursday. According to Mike Gillespie of ABC Columbia, Holtz said that he's currently recovering from the virus, but does "not (have) a lot of energy."
                What did Davonte do?

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The same day Franklin County is elevated to a Purple/Level 4 for “severe” spread of COVID-19, Republicans in the Ohio House vote to keep their masks off at work.<br><br>No leadership. They are putting Ohioans’ lives at risk and they don’t even care. <a href="https://t.co/tT994h9oIt">https://t.co/tT994h9oIt</a></p>&mdash; Ohio Matters (@Ohio_Matters) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ohio_Matters/status/1329511305695297536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 19, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

It is THE highest MORTALITY RATE in the WORLD. And accurate. Super scary situation in ND.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                      Yeah I was gonna say the math is correct, but misleading. North Dakota would need to continue at the same general rate for like 2 more months to reach New Jersey/New York levels i think. Last I saw they were at like 1300 deaths/million or something.

I'm pretty sure the models have ND experiencing a big drop over the next month whether people comply with the mandates (they wont) or not.

It is rather rich though that the media is more than happy to dump on states with...a specific party occupying the governor's mansion while absolved other state leaders of any sort of responsibility.

FWIW, our governor here is far from a MAGA republican. He's more blue dog democrat than he is a Republican. On the bright side, he has for the most part appeared to understand what people will cooperate with. If Shelby County were to reach the raw numbers of NY, then the city of Memphis would cease to exist.

The focus on SD...I suspect its maybe 1/3 genuine concern and 2/3 media hating Noem. Its the only rational position to take considering the pass they have given any and all governors of the other party.
                      Noem is from North Dakota, I believe. And she has been like this for a good year. I hate the idea that people think this is partisan. Far too many people have died for this to devolve into partisanship any longer imo. I think that is the point here. Partisanship needs to die in the face of a global pandemic, so that actual people can stop dying. Yet, Noem is indifferent to the suffering of her own state.

The idea that they need to be NY or NJ numbers in order to be worrisome is far more misleading imo bc they do not have nearly the population of NY or NJ. I am not sure there are many states with as sparse a population as the Dakotas, so the rate is the important thing here.

For example, the raw numbers in Shelby Country where I live are the worst in TN, yet, there are other counties in the state that may be much higher because their rate of infection is proportionately higher based on a smaller population. If Memphis ever reached the rate of infection that NY and Jersey had at their highest peaks, then the city might cease to exist since it is 1/13th the size of just NYC.
                      Last edited by philipm31; 11-19-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by philipm31 View Post
                        Noem is from North Dakota, I believe. And she has been like this for a good year. I hate the idea that people think this is partisan. Far too many people have died for this to devolve into partisanship any longer imo. I think that is the point here. Partisanship needs to die in the face of a global pandemic, so that actual people can stop dying. Yet, Noem is indifferent to the suffering of her own state.

The idea that they need to be NY or NJ numbers in order to be worrisome is far more misleading imo bc they do not have nearly the population of NY or NJ. I am not sure there are many states with as sparse a population as the Dakotas, so the rate is the important thing here.

For example, the raw numbers in Shelby Country where I live are the worst in TN, yet, there are other counties in the state that may be much higher because their rate of infection is proportionately higher based on a smaller population. If Memphis ever reached the rate of infection that NY and Jersey had at their highest peaks, then the city might cease to exist since it is 1/13th the size of just NYC.
                        Lol she is not the governor of North Dakota unless she moonlights as a white middle aged man who is a former tech executive.

Now that I think about it...I've never seen them photographed together.....

The point is, the media wants to portray the Dakota's as some unprecedented thing. North Dakota is 7th in deaths per capita. South Dakota is like 15th or 16th.

New York (even without counting NYC) has a higher death stat than SD. Also pretty trashy to say she is indifferent to suffering when you don't even know what state she governs lol.

I've explained this before, but I'll do it again. At least as far as ND, and I'm gonna assume SD as well since we have so much in common...people here aren't going to respond to government mandates the way they do in some other areas. Its not even a partisan thing here. My "bleeding heart" friends are just as likely to to to the bars/not mask up as anyone else. Some cities and towns will take some limited actions, but most won't. And the state does not have any mechanism to enforce it. About all they can do probably is cancel certain events or not let fans go to high school sporting events.
                        Last edited by NorthDakota; 11-19-2020, 09:00 PM.
                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Lou Holtz, 83, has tested positive for Covid-19. He seems to being OK so far, but says he doesn't have much energy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...?ocid=msedgntp
                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• North Dakota and South Dakota are going to have some gaudy death rates in a few weeks. South Dakota will likely surpass ND as their hospitalization rate is currently higher and their governor is just special.

Comment

• What makes you certain their death rates will be high. The case load could be high in young people which would mean it would be a lower death rate. Also we have more medicine now than 9 months ago. Lets let the numbers play out.
                              God Country Notre Dame
                              http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by PerthDomer View Post
                                North Dakota and South Dakota are going to have some gaudy death rates in a few weeks. South Dakota will likely surpass ND as their hospitalization rate is currently higher and their governor is just special.
                                Did they even experience a first wave? The states that seemed to have a “milder” first wave in the Spring seem to be experiencing it this Fall. Just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by philipm31 View Post

No, she’s the governor of South Dakota. Burgum is the governor of ND but he doesn’t have the name/face recognition on a national level that Noem does, so folks just assume it’s her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                    Did they even experience a first wave? The states that seemed to have a “milder” first wave in the Spring seem to be experiencing it this Fall. Just curious.
                                    No. We had next to nothing here.
                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                      No. We had next to nothing here.
                                      Well ND and SD will give the world a decent idea if herd immunity is actually possible without a vaccine. If testing 1 in 5 cases (probably a very conservative estimate), that would put them combined around 700K cases. With a combined population of roughly 1.5MM, that would mean about 45% are already infected. Cases have plateaued and hospitalizations have begun declining.
                                      Last edited by notredomer23; 11-20-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• A younger family member in Wyoming got symtoms, tested positive and is recovering. The family went into quarantine but it's past five days and no one else has it. In Wyoming, the Gov there (Mark Gordon) declared a. state of emergency on March 13 by executive order, directed the Wyoming Department of Health and the Wyoming Office of Homeland Security to take actions to respond to the virus. As the virus surges there also, third nationally only to the Dakotas, the Wyo GOP governing body four days ago passed resolution opposing state of emergency. Counties can petition public health for mask mandates that require people to wear masks or face coverings while inside retail and commercial businesses, local government buildings or while waiting in line. Other locations where masks are now required include healthcare facilities, like a clinic or a veterinary office, and in public transportation or taxi and car services. Twelve of them have been approved and are in place. At this time, two-thirds of Wyo pop is under those mandates. Two more counties have submitted requests.

Health officers in all of the counties that have passed or requested mask mandates were among the 21 who recently signed a letter calling on the state to enact a face mask mandate for all of Wyoming.

The letter, dated Nov. 12, acknowledged local authority to pass community measures but added, “We feel that a statewide mandate sends a more powerful and effective message in a more timely manner.”

Stats there
                                        https://covidactnow.org/us/wyoming-wy?s=1353339

In Wyoming, a Covid-19 surge, a struggling energy economy and a thriving haven for the rich
                                        As the state becomes the superrich's go-to, residents are out of work and dealing with a massive spike in case numbers.
                                        (Nov 15)

In hard-hit New York City, about 1 in 32 residents contracted Covid-19. In Albany County, Wyoming, home to Laramie, it's about 1 in 18. The state doesn't have a mask mandate, but Albany County put one in place early this month, only a few days after a state representative who had tested positive for the coronavirus died and the governor announced that he had had to isolate after having been exposed to the virus during a meeting that included the White House coronavirus task force coordinator, Dr. Deborah Birx.

In Converse County, public health nurse manager Darcey Cowardin and her team are working to flatten the curve of their own case surge. The frontier county of a little over 13,500 people has recorded 396 cases, and as of Friday it had 118 active cases. Those are astronomical numbers for such a small community.

"Our hospital is getting hit pretty hard," Cowardin said. The contact tracer is overwhelmed, the virus is finding its way into schools, and masking is a nightmare to enforce. Most of the spread is coming from family gatherings, bars and local events.
                                        Last edited by Legacy; 11-20-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Everyone here at my retirement community just had a test for COVID. This is not because we've had COVID positives (that happened a few weeks ago with some "outside" employees and then three residents.) This all-person test is "just" the next stage of what the administration of the community wants to do.

I personally have felt like crap for a while now, but the cause seems to be an old age manifestation of reduced air flow to the lungs. (I have a deviated septum and now, apparently a narrowing or inflexibility of the esophageal/stomach sphincter --- causes gas-trapped bloat which stresses lungs by pushing on them.) Doctor's appointment in a week. Carry-around oxygen probably on the agenda --- but who knows? The new tests will tell us if we have COVID as well --- there are residents who play loose with our bubble, so I could get that too. Lovely times to be having "golden years."

Comment

• The girl in SD who claimed she's seen "so many people die while denying that COVID is real" has had her story completely collapse lol.
                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Please Lord spare a great American a son of Notre Dame and one of our favorite people-get well Lou
                                              Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

• Prayers for Lou. It's a shame he doesn't have his wife by his side now, it's easier to fight this thing when you have a close loved one in your corner.

Comment

• If 2020 has taught me anything, it is that we have tens of millions of people in this country who should be required to wear masks and condoms.

If it is mandated, so be it.
                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Bills’ Tommy Sweeney out for season with myocarditis following Covid

Sweeney is the first NFL player who developed myocarditis from Covid.

"Late last night" per the Ravens press release, they were informed that "multiple members" had tested positive for Covid. It's unclear if the testing was done prior to the game or after, but they were probably contagious during the game. Mark Ingram II and J.K. Dobbins, RBs, and defensive tackle Brandon Williams were plced on the Reserve/COVID-19. The Ravens have a game on Thursday.
                                                    Last edited by Legacy; 11-23-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• We’ve been hit pretty hard at work including my son in law.

Comment

• Hearing other airlines will follow the Qantas lead requiring travelers be vaccinated for covid before allowed to travel on their airlines. Any lawyers think this can hold up in a court of law?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/qantas-...ne-alan-joyce/

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">THREAD: A summary of what we just heard from the L.A. County Department of Public Health.<br>1) They have no data/numbers tying outdoor dining to surge in cases in LA.<br>2) They based decision off a national CDC study that didn&#39;t discern indoor/outdoor dining - &quot;best info we have&quot;.</p>&mdash; Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1331357451451437056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Well ND and SD will give the world a decent idea if herd immunity is actually possible without a vaccine. If testing 1 in 5 cases (probably a very conservative estimate), that would put them combined around 700K cases. With a combined population of roughly 1.5MM, that would mean about 45% are already infected. Cases have plateaued and hospitalizations have begun declining.
                                                            Sweden is showing that the herd immunity idea is not a sound one.

Comment

• https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/1...il-about-masks

I just don't understand what this guy was thinking. Talk about a failure of leadership. Way to throw away twenty something years of (I assume) honorable work over one ill-advised and just plain stupid email.

Sanford just merged (more like got absorbed) by Intermountain Health. For anyone unfamiliar with Intermountain, they are an extremely well run, well respected organization. To paraphrase "In Living Color," Homey was not going to play that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                                                They've also not wrecked their economy or locked down near as much as other Euros, and their numbers aren't bad comparatively.
                                                                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                  They've also not wrecked their economy or locked down near as much as other Euros, and their numbers aren't bad comparatively.
                                                                  I mean, how hard is it to start/stop an economy based on fish, hot blondes, and the Abba Reunion tour?

Comment

• Got a test done today (what a weird experience, man they just go right up there eh) after having chills and body aches the past two days. I got tested at one of the major TO hospitals and there was no line which struck me as concerning.

Going into lockout round two now, supposedly this is from our Thanksgiving a month ago.

After experiencing some American holidays you guys do them the best. Hopefully you guys enjoy an unreal Thanksgiving and Covid doesn't damper it too much.

Comment

I mean, how hard is it to start/stop an economy based on fish, hot blondes, and the Abba Reunion tour?
                                                                      Yes, but the fish, hot blondes, and Abba concerts never stopped in 2020, so doesn't have to be restarted.

Folks trashed them for doing what they did, but they're no worse than countries who tightly locked down.

Comment

• Just got done with my first serving of covid. Three day fever and body aches were a bit annoying. Overall, not so bad - caught up on some sleep and lost five pounds. I feel alive boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                                          Just got done with my first serving of covid. Three day fever and body aches were a bit annoying. Overall, not so bad - caught up on some sleep and lost five pounds. I feel alive boys.
                                                                          Good man! Kick it's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                            Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                                                            Need pictures for reference.

Last edited by ulukinatme; 11-26-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• What were we talking about?

The wife has been feeling a little run down and since several people at my office have just tested positive she wanted to get tested again. Got the results back and both of us are negative. Even after the results, she's positive she's had it before, so today we're getting the test for antibodies. I'm guessing when they come back negative she's not going to believe those results either. lol
                                                                              Last edited by Irish#1; 11-25-2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                What were we talking about?

The wife has been feeling a little run down and since several people at my office have just tested positive she wanted to get tested again. Got the results back and both of us are negative. Even after the results, she's positive she's had it before, so today we're getting the test for antibodies. I'm guessing when they come back negative she's not going to believe those results either. lol
                                                                                My wife has really been struggling with anxiety, stress, and depression during the past year. She's a teacher, has very little support at her school, and is experiencing their first outbreak since re-opening. The Carmel schools report numbers each week: Elementary -1 from previous week, but the middle schools and high school are both 2x. And the 2x has been consistent over the last three weeks. The superintendent said he has zero intention of going full virtual and that decision will have to come from the state.

In fairness, the total number of cases in the schools hasn't been extremely high and they're taking a lot of proven precautions to minimize the spread. In my personal opinion, it's sort of the best of both worlds right now (kids are in school, and with few exceptions, people have been getting only mildly sick if sick at all). I just try to keep a positive outlook for her. We'll see what happens during Thanksgiving break though and how the numbers respond to all the travel and gatherings that are still to take place.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                                                  Need pictures for reference.

<iframe width="570" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5DzaJ1M5Qmc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You are not Zlatan...lmao
                                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                    <iframe width="570" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5DzaJ1M5Qmc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You are not Zlatan...lmao
                                                                                    His Swedish girl

Comment

• Woke up two days ago feeling like I had my yearly head cold. Pressure in my head, puffy eyes, dry nasal passages, etc.

Today, totally lost my sense of taste and smell. It is one of the most strange things I’ve ever experienced. Pretty sure I’ve got the rona.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                        Woke up two days ago feeling like I had my yearly head cold. Pressure in my head, puffy eyes, dry nasal passages, etc.

Today, totally lost my sense of taste and smell. It is one of the most strange things I’ve ever experienced. Pretty sure I’ve got the rona.
                                                                                        Be safe and get well.

Give Bill a ring for survival pointers. He seemed to kick it's ass.

Comment

• Covid Combat Fatigue: 'I would come home with tears in my eyes"
                                                                                          Doctors and Nurses on the Front Lines are running on empty, under increasing duress as the pandemic surges and hospitals are overrun with patients (NYT)

About 2 a.m. on a sweltering summer night, Dr. Orlando Garner awoke to the sound of a thud next to his baby daughter’s crib. He leapt out of bed to find his wife, Gabriela, passed out, her forehead hot with the same fever that had stricken him and his son, Orlando Jr., then 3, just hours before. Two days later, it would hit their infant daughter, Veronica.

Nearly five months later, Dr. Garner, a critical care physician at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, is haunted by what befell his family last summer: He had inadvertently shuttled the coronavirus home, and sickened them all.

“I felt so guilty,” he said. “This is my job, what I wanted to do for a living. And it could have killed my children, could have killed my wife — all this, because of me.”

With the case count climbing again in Texas, Dr. Garner has recurring nightmares that one of his children has died from Covid. He’s returned to 80-hour weeks in the intensive care unit, donning layers of pandemic garb including goggles, an N95 respirator, a protective body suit and a helmet-like face shield that forces him to yell to be heard. (cont)
                                                                                          Last edited by Legacy; 11-25-2020, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Woke up two days ago feeling like I had my yearly head cold. Pressure in my head, puffy eyes, dry nasal passages, etc.

Hope for a speedy recovery! Get the drugs, get all the drugs!

Comment

Hoping for the best. Rest up.
                                                                                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

Get rest, stay away from the rest of the family and have a speedy recovery.

Comment

• During the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, cities had the power to close businesses, churches and issue stay at home orders under their public health departments to limit the transmission of the novel virus. The H1N1 strain spread quickly in cities that had large gatherings without social distancing. Some opened up earlier than others and suffered the consequences of shutting down again.

Some churches objected but stayed closed. Some pastors said religious services were places immune from transmission and were arrested fro defying public health orders. Some churches opened their doors to house the patients to handle the overflow from city hospitals. Health care facilities were basic there with cots, masks and distancing between. The virus had a shorter incubation time. Symptoms emerged soon after infection with minimal asymptomatic transmission. Masks were worn by the vast majority. The respiratory infection was by droplet not airborne with a low mortality rate among physicians and nurses presumed to have influenza were 0.64% and 0.53%. Of the 47,000 nurses and 46,000 physicians who delivered care in the U.S. armies, very few died (250 and 293, respectively). Mortality for Covid in nurses is 1700 deaths so far.

The U.S. population were familiar with other outbreaks having instituting public health measures to decrease transmissions of other respiratory infections.

Closed houses of worship served during 1918 flu pandemic

What the 1918 Influenza Pandemic Meant for American Churches
                                                                                                  Last edited by Legacy; 11-26-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Found out yesterday that my mom's 80 year old neighbor, and mother to my buddies (from my 20s), has the rona. She's been pretty careless most of the year, and it scares the hell out of me because of her proximity. Evidently tested positive two days ago. And still plans to go over one of her sons for a gathering today... SMH.

My mom cooks periodically for her and her husband (who had heart issues late last year). Thankfully my she has not been over there in over a week. Still concerned for her and her husband. Not sure what she is thinking, staying around her husband who has several comorbidities.

I've been pretty good at begging, and guilting, my mom to stay away from folks all year. She's done pretty well except for a few specific folks. Made the decision not to travel back for Thanksgiving, and instead wait and spend a few weeks there over Christmas. Hate this year lol.

Comment

• My wife, my children and I all got tested Wednesday. Three of us had minor symptoms and tested negative. My one child, who has had no symptoms, tested positive. This thing is confusing.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X