Animal Crackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Crackers

Thought I'd start a thread where we can share stories about animals.

This one cracked me up. Lady goes into an abandoned house to smoke pot and finds a tiger. The best part was when she called they asked if she was high. lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.2d0cb68210bc

Rare monkey stolen from zoo returned. Whomever stole the monkey didn't realize how much publicity this would generate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...overed-n970961

Comment

Jogger in park in Colorado gets attacked by mountain lion and kills it with his hands.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...50366257671570

Comment

if you're patient, there's some great stuff in here.

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/saaDN8uY-hE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

This one is from last May, but is pretty amazing. Fox catches a rabbit for dinner and is on his merry way, when a bald eagle snatches both up. Photographer just happened to be using his video recorder instead of his camera at the moment. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/eagl...ramatic-images

Comment

Python Catches Bird While Hanging Out on a TV Antenna

TV reception must have sucked.

https://www.upi.com/Python-captures-...7131550777315/

Comment

This is crazy. Golfers are unfazed by the tussle between the crocodile and the python.

Comment

Scroll down to story #9 Badger bury's cow. Smart animal. Digs little tunnels under cow until they collapse from the weight then finishes by covering up the cow and begins to eat like it's at an All You Can Eat buffet.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...s-weird-orcas/

Comment

Rat fights off snake.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RXx0fynFe1A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Cute and brave mom. Article says the boy is staying at Grandma's house. Probably scared to go home and probably won't want to play in the backyard for a long time.

Woman says 'mom instinct' took over when she fought off cougar attacking son

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=62131879

Comment

Karma baby.

South Africa: Poacher killed by elephant then eaten by lions

A suspected rhino poacher has been trampled on by an elephant then eaten by a pride of lions in Kruger National Park, South Africa.

Accomplice poachers told the victim's family that he had been killed by an elephant on Tuesday. Relatives notified the park ranger.

A search party struggled to find the body but eventually found a human skull and a pair of trousers on Thursday.

The managing executive of the park extended his condolences to the family.

"Entering Kruger National Park illegally and on foot is not wise," he said. "It holds many dangers and this incident is evidence of that."

Kruger National Park has an ongoing problem with poaching and there remains a strong demand for rhino horn in Asian countries.

On Saturday, Hong Kong airport authorities seized the biggest haul of rhino horn in five years, valued at $2.1m (£1.6m).

Comment

Be cautious if you come across one of these birds.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/14/us/ca...man/index.html

A cassowary, a rare emu-like bird, attacks and kills Florida man, officials say.

(CNN)A cassowary, a giant bird with long claws on each foot, killed its owner after he fell in the backyard of his Gainesville, Florida, home, officials told CNN.

The bird's owner, Marvin Hajos -- who is 75, according to CNN affiliate WCJB -- made the initial call to 911 Friday about 10 a.m. ET. A second call came from another person at the scene who reported a medical emergency involving a large bird, said Lt. Joshua Crews of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
                        Hajos was transported to a nearby hospital, where he died, the lieutenant said. The cassowary remains on Hajos' property as authorities conduct an investigation into the attack, he said.
                        The owner was a breeder of the rare bird that is native to Australia and New Guinea, Alachua County Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Taylor said.
                        The death was an accident, officials said. It appears the man fell, and the cassowary attacked him after the fall, Taylor said.
                        The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission considers cassowaries Class II wildlife, meaning they pose a danger to humans and are subject to specific cage requirements. Owners must also have "substantial experience" with the animals, the commission says.

Class II is the same category as alligators, honey badgers and clouded leopards, while Class I includes more traditional predators such as a lions, tigers and bears.
                        The cassowary is a "large, flightless bird most closely related to the emu," according to the San Diego Zoo. It can run up to 31 mph through dense underbrush, jump almost 7 feet into the air and is a skilled swimmer, so it can deftly fend off threats, the zoo says.
                        They can grow more than 5 feet tall and the heaviest females can weigh more than 160 pounds, the zoo says. Males weigh up to 120 pounds.

"The cassowary is rightfully considered the most dangerous bird in the world!" the zoo says. "Each 3-toed foot has a dagger-like claw on the inner toe that is up to 4 inches (10 centimeters) long! The cassowary can slice open any predator or potential threat with a single swift kick."

Comment

You can't trust Bambi.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.d9075c780b4a

A man was fatally attacked by a pet deer. His wife barely escaped.

By Deanna Paul April 17 at 10:46 AM
                          Paul McDonald went outside to feed his pet deer on Wednesday morning. The Australian father never came back inside.

His wife, Mandi, and the couple’s 17-year-old son, Ethan, heard that something was amiss on the Moyhu property, in North East Victoria. They ventured outside and discovered Paul being attacked, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Ethan ran off seeking help, as Mandi tried to save her husband. The male stag, which the couple had owned for two years, shifted his attention and aggression toward her.

Ethan was able save his mother from the animal by whacking the deer in the head with a slab of wood. At time of publication, the ABC reported she had been air lifted to a Melbourne hospital and was in critical condition. She suffered injuries to her upper body and legs.

Responding officers shot and killed the deer at the scene, citing “concerns for the paramedic’s safety,” but it was too late for Paul McDonald. The farmer died from the deer-inflicted injuries before he could be rushed to the hospital.

Comment

Old Guys Rule!

This 80 year old guy is a bad ass! Watch the video and his interview. It's great.

Huge alligator captured by 80-year-old Florida man: ‘That thing tugged me all over'

An 80-year-old Florida man took matters into his own hands when a huge alligator walked into his backyard Tuesday afternoon.

Ed Chapman, from Miami-Dade County, tried to catch the 6-and-a-half-foot gator himself before he had to call in backup from police and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, local outlet 7News reported.

“That thing tugged me all over,” he told the outlet. “Carried me, twisting and fighting me all the way across the property.”

Chapman used his noose pole and got it around the gator’s neck, but the gator fought back.

“He swatted me with his tail and knocked my legs out from under me,” he said, telling the outlet he fell on his side but kept trying to stop the alligator, which fought against Chapman to a pond nearby.

“Then he got his front legs down in the reeds there, and then we went all the way down and he had his face in the water,” he said.

"In the meantime, I called 911,” he added. “I said, 'I just need some help. I got it contained, but I need some help. I can't get it out by myself.’"

According to 7News, officials responded within 30 minutes of his call and no one was hurt.

A part of the alligators tail had been cut off in the wild, officials told the outlet. If the gator had its whole tail, it would have been 8 feet long.

However, Chapman, who breeds wolves and keeps about 60 poisonous snakes for venom research, wasn’t particularly fazed, 7News reported.

“I’ve just been around this stuff a long time,” he said.

Comment

Better keep an extra driver in your bag the next time you play golf in Connecticut.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.1acf626710e4

Connecticut golfer fights off rabid bobcat in a fairway attack

A California bobcat. (Mindy Schauer/Orange County Register via AP)
                              By Michael Errigo April 19

A foursome of golfers was gathered near a fairway bunker on the seventh hole of the Mohegan Sun’s golf course in Sprague, Conn., Thursday morning when a rabid bobcat attacked one of the men, according to local authorities. The golfer reportedly fought off the animal with his club.

“[The bobcat] jumped on his back; he was able to fight it off with a golf club,” Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection officer Sgt. Chris Dwyer said to Connecticut station WFSB. “He thought it was dead as he walked a few steps away. It ended up jumping back up and taking off on him.”

All golfers were immediately cleared from the course and the victim, believed to be in his 60s, was transported to a hospital around 9 a.m. He had cuts to his back and the back of his legs, according to Dwyer.

The bobcat was tracked down by DEEP police in a nearby culvert and later euthanized.

"In my 20 years with the DEEP I’ve only had three rabid bobcats,” Dwyer said. “They are extremely aggressive, extremely vicious when they do have the rabies virus. . . . Usually those types of incidents are associated with a sick animal.”

The bobcat tested positive for rabies Thursday afternoon.

The bobcat had attacked a horse at a farm less than a mile from the course earlier in the day. The horse had cuts on its neck and eye, but received veterinary treatment Thursday and was expected to make a full recovery.

Bobcat attacks on humans are rare. The last reported attack in Connecticut came in 2014, according to DEEP.

“We tell [people], ‘You are a 1,000 times more likely to get bitten by your neighbor’s dog,’ ” Dwyer told the Hartford Courant.

Comment

This is pretty gruesome. The guy went into the river to fix a water line when he was attacked. The video actually shows the alligator the next day with the guys crotch and legs hanging out of his mouth.

Watch: Crocodile emerges with missing man in jaws in Indonesia

http://www.looptt.com/content/watch-...jaws-indonesia

Comment

Grandma is a bad as$. Kills a cobra in her backyard in Pennsylvania.

Woman uses shovel to kill cobra slithering on her patio
                                  June 25, 2019

In this Monday, June 24, 2019 photo provided by Kathy Kehoe, a 4 to 5-foot-long snake slithers on the patio of her apartment in Fairless Hills, Pa. Kehoe used a shovel to kill the cobra. Her apartment complex is the same one where officials removed 20 venomous snakes from another apartment in March. Officials aren't sure if the cobra had escaped from that unit. (Kathy Kehoe via AP)
                                  FAIRLESS HILLS, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania woman used a shovel to kill a cobra she saw slithering on the patio of her apartment.

Kathy Kehoe said the squawking of some blue jays outside her unit caught her attention Monday. When she looked outside, she saw a 4 to 5-foot-long serpent.

The 73-year-old Kehoe says she noticed the lateral spot commonly found on cobras, grabbed a shovel and nudged its tail. When it rose and spread its hood, she realized it was a cobra. That’s when she decided to kill it.

“I knew what I was doing was dangerous, I’m not a fool,” she said in a phone interview on Tuesday. “I just acted. I thought of the kids and other people in this community and I said ‘I can’t let this thing get away.’”

Her apartment complex in Fairless Hills, about 30 miles northeast of Philadelphia, is the same one where officials removed 20 venomous snakes from another apartment in March. Officials aren’t sure if the cobra had escaped from that unit.

Wildlife officials say people who spot snakes should call police and let experts handle the situation.

Comment

This little girl is lucky to be alive. The video shows the bison throwing her like a rag doll. Luckily the bison stopped after tossing her.

Bison charges nine-year-old girl, throwing her high into the air

https://news.yahoo.com/bison-charges...081647266.html

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                      This little girl is lucky to be alive. The video shows the bison throwing her like a rag doll. Luckily the bison stopped after tossing her.

These people were standing around the bull bison petting it??? What idiots! Yellowstone isn't a petting zoo. Those animals are somewhat used to people and tolerant of them, but they're not tame animals in a petting zoo. They're still wild, and a bull bison is nothing to mess with. You DO NOT approach wild bison or annoy them. It'll end badly. This family was stupid and their daughter is lucky to be alive.

I live in bison country and we have several large herds in the state and national parks near my home. There are plenty of places where you can drive right up into a herd and have them walk all around you, paying little attention to you if you're quiet and don't bother them. I've taken all my visiting family members and friends, and it's an amazing experience to have a herd of them walk all around your car, scratch themselves on your bumpers, and even swarm your car in the winter to lick the road salt off of it (a little scary at first to have 10 or 15 of them jostling each other to get to your car). They're no problem as long as you don't annoy them, blow your horn at them, try to bully them off the road and out of your way, and don't approach them on foot.
                                      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

One article I read said that was the mother and father running away. Nice paternal instincts to protect your kids. lol

Comment

One article I read said that was the mother and father running away. Nice paternal instincts to protect your kids. lol
                                          I guess you never know until you are in that situation, but it's impossible for me to imagine doing anything but stupidly charging the thing to try and protect my daughter in that situation... I would matter literally zero in that moment... pretty sure.
                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

I love Bison. They are cool as hell. You couldn't pay me to walk up to one, much less let children near one. They are big bad hombres.
                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Yeah, probably not the best idea to pet a wild bison. I’ve been to 20+ national parks (including Yellowstone twice) and seen people do some pretty foolish things around wild animals in the parks. There is a (dangerous) misconception amongst some visitors that these animals are tame because they are so used to seeing people, and that can easily lead to terrible situations like this. Luckily the girl does not appear to have been hurt bad, could have been much worse. It’s sad too because there are signs all over the parks warning you to keep a safe distance from the animals, still this stuff happens all the time.
                                              I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                These people were standing around the bull bison petting it??? What idiots! Yellowstone isn't a petting zoo. Those animals are somewhat used to people and tolerant of them, but they're not tame animals in a petting zoo. They're still wild, and a bull bison is nothing to mess with. You DO NOT approach wild bison or annoy them. It'll end badly. This family was stupid and their daughter is lucky to be alive.

I live in bison country and we have several large herds in the state and national parks near my home. There are plenty of places where you can drive right up into a herd and have them walk all around you, paying little attention to you if you're quiet and don't bother them. I've taken all my visiting family members and friends, and it's an amazing experience to have a herd of them walk all around your car, scratch themselves on your bumpers, and even swarm your car in the winter to lick the road salt off of it (a little scary at first to have 10 or 15 of them jostling each other to get to your car). They're no problem as long as you don't annoy them, blow your horn at them, try to bully them off the road and out of your way, and don't approach them on foot.
                                                I've had that type of experience where the herd came out of the pines in Custer State Park, down the road blocking traffic, going around the cars so close you could almost touch them and along the side of the road in the spring. There must have been a hundred bison and their leisurely passage seemed to go on forever. Calves with their mothers. Bulls throughout. Molting made their coats shaggy and they would rub against the trees and signs along the road. One licked the car as they walked by on either side. On either end of the length of forest also, buffalo were grazing on new grass, which is where the herd was headed. They seemed more docile than I would have expected, however the last thing you want to do is get out on the side of the road to take a photo. Bulls are cranky and protective but it is an amazing experience especially knowing they were almost extinct. They are now our national animal as symbolic as the bald eagle.
                                                Last edited by Legacy; 07-25-2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I think the damn cat pissed in the laundry room somewhere...will let the lady take care of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                                    I've had that type of experience where the herd came out of the pines in Custer State Park, down the road blocking traffic, going around the cars so close you could almost touch them and along the side of the road in the spring. There must have been a hundred bison and their leisurely passage seemed to go on forever. Calves with their mothers. Bulls throughout. Molting made their coats shaggy and they would rub against the trees and signs along the road. One licked the car as they walked by on either side. On either end of the length of forest also, buffalo were grazing on new grass, which is where the herd was headed. They seemed more docile than I would have expected, however the last thing you want to do is get out on the side of the road to take a photo. Bulls are cranky and protective but it is an amazing experience especially knowing they were almost extinct. They are now our national animal as symbolic as the bald eagle.
                                                    Custer State Park is one of my favorite places in the world. I live just a few miles from the main entrance and love going out there to sit in the middle of a herd as they walk by you. Your description is exactly what it's like.
                                                    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

A statement from the park said there were between 50 and 60 people gathered near the bison before the attack. Some people were standing less than 10 feet away.

As a result, other bystanders managed to get their own videos of the incident.

😳 Things escalated quickly when a bison spotted this 9-year-old girl at Yellowstone National Park. Luckily, she's OK! (Her parents are the ones running away in the background, according to the witness who shot this video.) https://t.co/xfieCv5iHj pic.twitter.com/Pei98hR6Rf

Group stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                        I think the damn cat pissed in the laundry room somewhere...will let the lady take care of that.
                                                        Man walks into the classified ad department of his local newspaper and says he wants to take out an ad about his wife's missing cat and offer a $10,000 reward for finding it. "Isn't that an excessive amount for a cat?" the newspaper employee asks. "Nah" says the man. "I drowned the damn thing a week ago for peeing on the furniture."

Just sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                          I guess you never know until you are in that situation, but it's impossible for me to imagine doing anything but stupidly charging the thing to try and protect my daughter in that situation... I would matter literally zero in that moment... pretty sure.

Your safety would matter zero. You would matter greatly. Instinct, life experience, would have you react spontaneously to save the life of another. No hesitation. It's who you are. A good man and a great Dad.

Comment

Teen hospitalized after bison chases and throws him into the air at national park
                                                            The bison charged at the teen, slashed through his leg and threw him about six feet into the air at Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota.
                                                            July 29, 2019, 4:03 PM MDT

A Colorado teenager was hospitalized after a bison charged at him during a visit to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park on Saturday.

The 17 year old was transported from the park by helicopter to a Bismarck, North Dakota, hospital after he was thrown about six feet into the air, according to the National Park Service. The bison struck the teen in the back and gored his right thigh.

Comment

Maniacs have Cow Tipping.

Bison have Teen Tossing.

Comment

apparently we have a lot of pissed off bison on the loose.

Comment

Glad these big beautiful beasts are done messing around.

Quit trying to mess with them people!
                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

apparently we have a lot of pissed off bison on the loose.
                                                                    That's because they keep getting triggered by people walking up to them to cop a feel saying, "Nice buffalo."

To which they get in response, "I'm a bison, nitwit. Get out of my space" punctuated by the body toss.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                      That's because they keep getting triggered by people walking up to them to cop a feel saying, "Nice buffalo."

To which they get in response, "I'm a bison, nitwit. Get out of my space" punctuated by the body toss.
                                                                      So is Buffalo Bill really Bison Bill? I've always pondered that question...
                                                                      And, do you think anyone ever corrected him?
                                                                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Add this right next to eating Tide Pods on the "What Dumbass Teens Do Today" list
                                                                        "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

For your amusement

Shots fired near Mammoth Cave campsite after alleged Bigfoot encounter, report says

https://www.foxnews.com/science/bigf...-cave-kentucky

Comment

Bear falls on Northern California patrol car

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Great Story

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maine-dri...cks-cross-road

Love the last two stragglers ... and the patience of the drivers.

In NYC or Chicago there would have been pressed duck on the menu that night.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                That’s crazy.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                                  https://www.foxnews.com/us/maine-dri...cks-cross-road

Love the last two stragglers ... and the patience of the drivers.

In NYC or Chicago there would have been pressed duck on the menu that night.
                                                                                  We had about 15-20 Canadian geese do that about a month ago. It was on a real busy four lane street. Some knucklehead in a pickup decided to get out of line and go around everyone trying to force the geese to move out of the way. The geese were not impressed.
                                                                                  Last edited by Irish#1; 08-12-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Girl bitten by black bear at Vancouver zoo. Mother says she doesn't know how it happened, but the article states the girl went into a restricted area where there isn't much to keep you away from the cage.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/greater-vancou...bear-1.4538070

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Bears are getting restless in August. Family was camping on the banks of the river. The article doesn't say, but they must have been camping without a tent.

A bear bites a sleeping boy on the face at a campground in Utah
                                                                                      https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/10/us/ut...ack/index.html

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Anchorage Daily News -'I was afraid the kids might wake up and scream’: Curious moose takes a long look into tent of urban campers . -- in South Anchorage

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          How freaky would that be to open your eyes and see a 1,000lb moose staring you in the face?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            How freaky would that be to open your eyes and see a 1,000lb moose staring you in the face?
                                                                                            I'd poop
                                                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                                                              I'd poop

Scaring the shit out of the moose.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Think a fence will keep you safe from a gator? lol

https://www.facebook.com/WJXT4TheLoc...69461496/?t=12

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Think a fence will keep you safe from a gator? lol

https://www.facebook.com/WJXT4TheLoc...69461496/?t=12
                                                                                                  They are so cool lmao
                                                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    The Cat that Changed America (includes photos)
                                                                                                    P22 is the most famous mountain lion in the world, living in Griffith Park, right in the heart of Los Angeles. He was born in the Santa Monica Mountains, and crossed two of the busiest freeways in America, the 405 and the 101, before he settled in the park. Yet P22, who is radio-collared, is now trapped, hemmed in by freeways and the urban sprawl, with little chance of ever finding a mate.
                                                                                                    P-22 did not have a GPS radio collar at the time.

Photos of P-22, by Steve Winter (National Geographic, includes photo of P-22 in front of the HOLLYWOOD sign)

Workers at a home, often not occupied, came face to face with P-22 when they entered a crawl space at the home. The lion was not aggressive and left to go back into Grffith Park

See P-22 enjoy a casual stroll down a Los Feliz street (LAcurbed, includes video)
                                                                                                    Earlier this week, Los Feliz resident Scott Hofman shared a video to Nextdoor of the elusive puma out for an evening constitutional along his street, not far from the Crystal Springs Drive entrance to Griffith Park.

According to Hofman’s post, P-22’s outing took place last month and was witnessed by a neighbor who happened to be looking out his window when the cougar sauntered by. On his neighbor’s suggestion, Hofman checked his security-cam footage, which showed P-22 emerging from the park only a few minutes after a couple with a toddler in a stroller had exited.
                                                                                                    .
                                                                                                    P-61 Mountain Lion Crosses Freeway
                                                                                                    Cougar crosses 405 in first-time event
                                                                                                    (Santa Monica Mirror)

For the first time throughout the course of a 17-year study of mountain lions in or around the Santa Monica Mountains, a GPS tracked lion has crossed the 405 freeway. The rare event was documented by the National Park Service (NPS) in the Sepulveda Pass area on July 19 between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. P-61, a four-year old mountain lion first captured and outfitted with a GPS collar in October 2017, was headed east according to NPS footage.
                                                                                                    Hoping to fend off the extinction of mountain lions and other species that require room to roam, California is building a mostly privately funded wildlife crossing over U.S. Highway 101 in Agoura, Calif.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Legacy; 08-20-2019, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X