UFOs, Paranormal, Pseudoscience Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFOs, Paranormal, Pseudoscience Thread

Welcome to the UFOs, Paranormal, Pseudoscience Thread! I made this for any UFO news, ghost news, and pseudoscience news (think Mandela Effect, Flat Earth, Time Slip, etc). Basically anything that a supermarket tabloid would publish but most university professors would scoff at. Please keep your AGW arguments for and against elsewhere as I am not aiming for political discourse here, just the fun world of the fringes of the scientific world.

To start us off:

Double SONIC BOOM heard over Area 51 sparking wild claims CIA is hiding 'ALIEN' proof

PS: Bat Boy is welcome here

Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

Fake news
      60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by nlroma1o View Post
        Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
        Fake news

Comment

Woman reports Bigfoot sighting on I-80 | Local News | theindependent.com

Comment

If anyone wants to have their "hypothetical mind blown," go listen to Joe Rogan Experience Episode 725 and 872. Both episodes feature Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock and they discuss a theory of What and How the North American ice age ended and a possible event that triggered it. Like I said its mind blowing stuff. They also touch base a little bit on Atlantis, Ancient Egypt being much older than mainstream science claims it is, and the Gobekli Tepe site in present day turkey.

Graham has a tendency to be a bit over the top, while trying to maintain a logical approach. But Randall is much more reserved and calculated.

I'm bringing this up in this thread because the theory they discuss is not accepted by mainstream science. Regardless it's very interesting stuff. You can find the podcast episodes on Youtube.
            Last edited by nlroma1o; 12-06-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

This is thread is going to have a pretty drastic level of variation from nutty/funny/goofy to uppity/preachy/serious... going to be interesting to check in on...
              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

If anyone wants to have their "hypothetical mind blow," go listen to Joe Rogan Experience Episode 725 and 872. Both episodes feature Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock and they discuss a theory of What and How the North American ice age ended and a possible even that triggered it. Like I said its mind blowing stuff. They also touch base a little bit on Atlantis, Ancient Egypt being much older than mainstream science claims it is, and the Gobekli Tepe site in present day turkey.

Graham has a tendency to be a bit over the top, while trying to maintain a logical approach. But Randall is much more reserved and calculated.

I'm bringing this up in this thread because the theory they discuss is not accepted by mainstream science. Regardless is very interesting stuff. You can find the podcast episodes on youtube.
                I have watched some of those Rogan ones lately. He enjoys discussing the non-mainstream science topics. A number of his shows have been devoted to these kind topics. Like he is partly an Art Bell for a younger UFC generation.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                  This is thread is going to have a pretty drastic level of variation from nutty/funny/goofy to uppity/preachy/serious... going to be interesting to check in on...
                  Said my buddy whose current avatar is a cat in a spacesuit

But yeah...figured it might be a fun idea and not have anyone get preachy on if something isn't scientific enough or something...you know the wild and wacky (h/t to Marv Albert)

Comment

Lots of fires going on in SoCal right now. Reading through comments on facebook the fires were started by EMPs, directed energy weapons (whatever those are), or laser beams, because the government wants to buy the land. One guy commented on a video asking why the trees weren't on fire despite the fact that there were several trees on fire and it was in a neighborhood, not a forest.
                    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                      Said my buddy whose current avatar is a cat in a spacesuit
                      His NAME,... is Major Tom.
                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                        His NAME,... is Major Tom Cat.
                        fify

I believe he is cousin to the famous Mr. Bigglesworth? (h/t Austin Powers)

Comment

Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                          Welcome to the UFOs, Paranormal, Pseudoscience Thread! I made this for any UFO news, ghost news, and pseudoscience news (think Mandela Effect, Flat Earth, Time Slip, etc). Basically anything that a supermarket tabloid would publish but most university professors would scoff at. Please keep your AGW arguments for and against elsewhere as I am not aiming for political discourse here, just the fun world of the fringes of the scientific world.

You do realize the Old Man Mike (Ph.D) is a retired professor recognized as an authority on UFOs and anomalous phenomena, particularly parapsychology, cryptozoology, and ufology.

Type carefully connor. OMM knows what truth is out there.

Comment

Yes, I know some of his background and I welcome anything he wants to add to this or the this week in science thread (aka real science)

Comment

Let me clear the air on my involvements in these areas. I do so just in case anyone wanted to get the opinion on something from someone who has spent a great deal of time studying some of these things. When I saw the OP I decided that the intent of this was just to make fun of everything (whether I knew what the real status of the studies were or not), but what-the-he!l maybe there are a few who'd really like to know "what's behind the curtain" on some of these matters.

Background:
                              A). I taught about many of these topics as a Scientific Methodology course where senior students were required to choose one anomalies subject, find what was being claimed, research if there were any actual facts, and if so, determine which alternative hypotheses fit those facts better (pointing out strengths and weaknesses.) --- by the way, it is true that most academics scoff at these subjects. It is also true that almost none of them have actually studied any of them. In other words they are farting BS. (sorry--- some of my "colleagues" do not rate much respect for their cheapshot tribalism and prejudices on these matters.)
                              B). My brother and I saw a domed disk "UFO" case which made me interested in the subject from then on. After getting my science prof job, I went to Chicago to meet the former USAF scientific consultant on UFOs, Dr. J. Allen Hynek of Northwestern, who had created a civilian research team, which I joined. I still am affiliated with the Center for UFO Studies, and, in the old days, was the editor of their academic journal (double-blind peer-reviewed and all that), The Journal of UFO Studies.
                              C). Since those days, I met with and been called in as an "expert" (if there are any such people in fields which remain mysteries) by essentially all the world's leading persons of interest except the military --- though I've met many of them as well privately.
                              D). As a Catholic, my background also leads me to believe in spiritual matters, and in that scientific method course there were opportunities to research several matters involving parapsychology, near-death experiences, poltergeist phenomena, apparitions et al. I decided to join the Society for Scientific Exploration which was a "quiet" group of researchers (all originally PhD's and MD's) where I met with most of North America's leading researchers on those sorts of things. A few, like Robert Jahn of Princeton (psychokinesis), Larry Dossey of the NIH's Alternative Medicine Office (non-traditional healing), and Ken Ring of UConn (near-death experiences) became friends. I also then met several cryptozoological researchers (Henry Bauer/Virginia Tech), Grover Krantz /Washington State, Roy Mackal /UChicago, who I respect. The bottomline of that is that there are reasons that most of the "big" anomalies stay mysterious yet viable, and, although the public seldom hears anything but mockery, there are really good people in each of these fields who warrior on in pursuit and anonymity.
                              E). I wrote, with nine other scholars, the most praised (by library journals) UFO subject book ever published --- UFOs and Government, the behind the looking glass view of how our government (and those of Sweden, France, Australia, and Spain) handled the dilemma which these "air incursions" placed upon them. The book is in well over a hundred academic libraries.
                              F). There's much more to my involvement with these mysteries, which I rarely have done "in the field", but rather as a typical prof with the books and journals --- but some otherwise "personal" things have also applied. The most spectacular of these are family happenings involving brothers and sisters, whose reports (poltergeist effects, apparitions, "phantom rider in car", clairvoyance, "trickster events", post-death events) have added an element of hard reality (my siblings are hard sells when it comes to "odd stuff" and completely trustworthy to me) to many areas of anomalous events even though I knew that the Vatican has long admitted the reality of much of this "paranormal" stuff.

With a whole life's worth of this sort of study, there is far too much to tell. I tried to tell some of it in my (now-inactive) blog, The Big Study, so named to indicate that it did not stop with the truncated view of the Universe of the science texts, but rather the expanded view of both science and Catholicism (and other traditions.)

So, if anyone ever wants a serious comment on any of this stuff, ask: if I've studied it, I'll probably respond. As said, I realize that the OP created this as a joke and mockery thread, so I'm probably not the guy for that.

Comment

Do you find the Project Mogul explanation generally insufficient or do you think it covers a significant portion of cases?

Comment

OMM:

Bigfoot, little gray man, lizard person.

Marry one, fuck one, kill one. Go.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                                    Let me clear the air on my involvements in these areas. I do so just in case anyone wanted to get the opinion on something from someone who has spent a great deal of time studying some of these things. When I saw the OP I decided that the intent of this was just to make fun of everything (whether I knew what the real status of the studies were or not), but what-the-he!l maybe there are a few who'd really like to know "what's behind the curtain" on some of these matters.

Background:
                                    A). I taught about many of these topics as a Scientific Methodology course where senior students were required to choose one anomalies subject, find what was being claimed, research if there were any actual facts, and if so, determine which alternative hypotheses fit those facts better (pointing out strengths and weaknesses.) --- by the way, it is true that most academics scoff at these subjects. It is also true that almost none of them have actually studied any of them. In other words they are farting BS. (sorry--- some of my "colleagues" do not rate much respect for their cheapshot tribalism and prejudices on these matters.)
                                    B). My brother and I saw a domed disk "UFO" case which made me interested in the subject from then on. After getting my science prof job, I went to Chicago to meet the former USAF scientific consultant on UFOs, Dr. J. Allen Hynek of Northwestern, who had created a civilian research team, which I joined. I still am affiliated with the Center for UFO Studies, and, in the old days, was the editor of their academic journal (double-blind peer-reviewed and all that), The Journal of UFO Studies.
                                    C). Since those days, I met with and been called in as an "expert" (if there are any such people in fields which remain mysteries) by essentially all the world's leading persons of interest except the military --- though I've met many of them as well privately.
                                    D). As a Catholic, my background also leads me to believe in spiritual matters, and in that scientific method course there were opportunities to research several matters involving parapsychology, near-death experiences, poltergeist phenomena, apparitions et al. I decided to join the Society for Scientific Exploration which was a "quiet" group of researchers (all originally PhD's and MD's) where I met with most of North America's leading researchers on those sorts of things. A few, like Robert Jahn of Princeton (psychokinesis), Larry Dossey of the NIH's Alternative Medicine Office (non-traditional healing), and Ken Ring of UConn (near-death experiences) became friends. I also then met several cryptozoological researchers (Henry Bauer/Virginia Tech), Grover Krantz /Washington State, Roy Mackal /UChicago, who I respect. The bottomline of that is that there are reasons that most of the "big" anomalies stay mysterious yet viable, and, although the public seldom hears anything but mockery, there are really good people in each of these fields who warrior on in pursuit and anonymity.
                                    E). I wrote, with nine other scholars, the most praised (by library journals) UFO subject book ever published --- UFOs and Government, the behind the looking glass view of how our government (and those of Sweden, France, Australia, and Spain) handled the dilemma which these "air incursions" placed upon them. The book is in well over a hundred academic libraries.
                                    F). There's much more to my involvement with these mysteries, which I rarely have done "in the field", but rather as a typical prof with the books and journals --- but some otherwise "personal" things have also applied. The most spectacular of these are family happenings involving brothers and sisters, whose reports (poltergeist effects, apparitions, "phantom rider in car", clairvoyance, "trickster events", post-death events) have added an element of hard reality (my siblings are hard sells when it comes to "odd stuff" and completely trustworthy to me) to many areas of anomalous events even though I knew that the Vatican has long admitted the reality of much of this "paranormal" stuff.

With a whole life's worth of this sort of study, there is far too much to tell. I tried to tell some of it in my (now-inactive) blog, The Big Study, so named to indicate that it did not stop with the truncated view of the Universe of the science texts, but rather the expanded view of both science and Catholicism (and other traditions.)

So, if anyone ever wants a serious comment on any of this stuff, ask: if I've studied it, I'll probably respond. As said, I realize that the OP created this as a joke and mockery thread, so I'm probably not the guy for that.
                                    OMM,

I created this not as a joke thread. I enjoy hearing theories about UFOs and aliens and have a belief in that as well as various other things. While I do not believe in flat earth theory or the Mandela effect, I felt that people should have a place to express any and all of these and the this week in science thread felt like a place where more mainstream science was and I didn't feel that the conspiracy thread was a good home either. I stay up late at night watching YouTube vids on time slips, Bigfoot, ancient aliens, the real reasons for the pyramids, NASA fakes, Nazi Bell tech, etc.

The first article I posted about Area 51 ties in to my belief that it and other places are testing next gen technologies that we are developing from either our own or other inspirations.

I feel we can be serious or jokey here. I may believe in aliens and others not, but they may believe Kubrick directed the fake Moon landings that I believe we're real. I just feel the other threads were too confining.

Please post whatever you feel like as I think a number of us would enjoy where these discussions may lead.

Comment

The moon landing didn’t have nearly enough tracking shots or natural lighting to be Kubrick...

Comment

Now that everyone carries a camera with them 24/7, are there any good "UFO" pictures/video out there?
                                        "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

I've had some really weird stuff happen in my life. Here's the one that's easiest to tell.

Summer of '83 we're down at the Lake Michigan lakeshore between Long Beach, IN and New Buffalo, MI. It's about dusk when my friend says he just saw a plane (a light) that was moving normally towards Chicago suddenly go backwards and stop. When he points it out to us, it's looks like normal airplane lights to me. I'm like whatever but I keep following it for whatever reason for about 15-20 seconds and it goes from moving very slowly west towards Chicago to going straight down at a 90 degree, no arc, no loop straight down at a much faster rate of speed then stops. He yells and I acknowledge I see it. Now the rest of the group is interested and all 6 of us watch this light zig zag back and forth at 45 degree angles, straight up and down changing speeds in no pattern... like something a helicopter could do but there is no sound and it seems to be far away, like a jet coming in but still 15 minutes before it's at the airport. It's at this time, we hear very loud jet engines and can make out two jets hauling azz above us, heading straight north over the lake towards this light. You could see the glow of each jets engine clearly. Meanwhile the light we'd been following was still doing it's thing and about now my buddies and I are thinking this is the real deal going down and we start OMGing and freaking out like b!tchez and then it happened. Whatever that was took the feck off - almost straight up and was gone in 2 seconds, covering half the sky before it disappeared. We could hear the jets out there for 20 minutes or so and then went above us heading south.

My cousins from Nashville were staying with my grandparents that week south of Culver Military and when we went down on the weekend, they were telling us how it sounded like a war zone a few days ago when there were jets flying all over the place out of Grissom AFB. It cracked numerous windows in their house that day.

If all that wasn't strange enough, later on I became aware there was a well documented UFO sighting around Indianapolis on the same day which was easy to remember because it was my parents 20th Ann. 6-30-83.

That would have been a good day to have social media.

Comment

Against better judgement before this 77-year old heads towards bed:

A). Don't understand the Project Mogul question. That was used as an explanation for Roswell and almost nothing else in UFOlogy. We know where all the Moguls were launched and what their tracks were. The hi-tech balloon theory (a better more inclusive way of phrasing this as it brings other projects to bear) for Roswell does not handle the case well at all because:
                                            1]. there are no such launches recorded at proper times and going in proper directions;
                                            2]. the area coverage of a Mogul balloon train comes nowhere near matching the description of the coverage of the "debris field" on the Foster Ranch as described by both military and civilian witnesses. (let alone the odd qualities of the metals.)

Something technological might have splattered down on that ranch but Mogul wasn't it (the rancher was quite familiar with weather balloons gone astray and had returned at least one to the military earlier.)

A guy at the Office of Naval Research (Urner Liddel) published a debunking article in around 1950 stating that all the ufos were explainable by similar balloon flights. Everyone in the military was confused by this article as none of the military agencies believed that practically any of the cases were balloons. It is a peculiarity of the field that in the 1948-1952+ years one of the most intriguing clusters of unexplained cases came from exactly the hi-tech balloon launchers and trackers who would know. (almost as if the phenomenon, whatever it is, was thumbing its nose at the best observers we had.)

B). On modern photos: There have never been detailed, close-up (non-hoax) photos of ufos --- make of that what you will, but it's almost as if you can't get a close encounter during the day, and not at night when someone has a camera ready. Distant objects are photographed all the time. One of my best friends has analyzed some Puerto Rico film left right and center by the highest technological means. His analysis "debunks all the debunkers" as it shows that all the mundane things proposed do not handle the data. Still: it is a distant object and tells you nothing but that here is an apparent object which resists conventional explanations.

Good evening.

Comment

OMM, you said you have spoken to all of the relevant experts, except those in the military...

Is that because the military won’t talk? You don’t want to speak to them? They don’t openly acknowledge the subject at all? Or because they don’t *need* to talk, aka they already have all the answers they could want, and wouldn’t want to speak to civilians for fear of indirectly “confirming” certain things based on the questions they do/don’t ask or the answers they do/don’t give?

There is a book in my library (I work in an academic library) concerning certain declassified government documents, some of which involves studies/reports on UFO’s, but the govt reports never directly imply alien technology... which I’m sure is why they were the reports chosen to “declassify.” I’m going to have to search for your book tomorrow to see about adding it to our collection, and to see if we pay for access or hold microform of your previous journal.

Comment

The military has not been consulting publicly with anyone since 1969 when the Colorado Project gave them the excuse to shut down Project BlueBook, the UFO research/monitoring project at Wright-Patterson AFB, and the one where Allen Hynek consulted. That public face was a royal pain in their ass, and they were delirious to close it. All such "normal" unknowns have gone through Air Defense Command/NORAD since --- sometimes the CIA gets them, and does whatever they do. Unidentified Airspace Incursions are now handled just as if they were Russian drones or Korean missiles. So, the Air Force has certainly no reason to talk to guys like me.

Nevertheless, occasionally a member of the intelligence community will seek out a member of the (serious) UFO research community to "talk" about things. Whether this is on his own time (likely) or whether it's a directed inquiry (much less likely), who knows? To my knowledge I have never had such an inquiry, but friends have. My own interactions with military/intel have been with retired guys who became interested during their duties and usually seem to know far less than I do --- but interesting regardless.

As to formerly classified documents: the UFO community has some of the best FOIA-hounds in the business and there have been several hundred pages released plus the entire BlueBook microfilm (available widely; ex. on FOLD.) These documents reveal a great deal about UFO reality (as unidentified mysteries) without proving that they represent non-Earthly technology. If there was any lab-bench concrete proof of that we wouldn't be joking about tabloid articles as if that was all there was to this --- we shouldn't be anyway, but this state of affairs has been the result of a clearly documented policy in government documents of 1953. The only chance (in my mind) that the government has physical proof is if the Roswell Crash was real, and something about what was retrieved is undeniably non-terrestrial --- this doesn't have to a "body" or even a mysterious machine; it can be as "simple" as metals with non-solar system isotope ratios.

By the way ... documents exist wherein the speculation that some UFOs represent non-terrestrial technology is mentioned in the FOIA'd papers. They are brief mentions. More media-famous stuff like alleged MJ-12 Roswell-related documents are hoaxed bunk.

My thanks if you get the UFOs and Government book into your library --- your administrator won't regret it --- 600+pp of brute scholarship written directly from the governments' own internal documents --- that's why it's bulletproof. We wrote that book only to get it into the libraries to save this story for the future, since today seems he!l-bent on burying it. My "royalty check" is about $5 a year. Hah! ... Don't get involved with UFO studies if money is your object. Not serious ones anyway.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

The military has not been consulting publicly with anyone since 1969 when the Colorado Project gave them the excuse to shut down Project BlueBook, the UFO research/monitoring project at Wright-Patterson AFB, and the one where Allen Hynek consulted. That public face was a royal pain in their ass, and they were delirious to close it. All such "normal" unknowns have gone through Air Defense Command/NORAD since --- sometimes the CIA gets them, and does whatever they do. Unidentified Airspace Incursions are now handled just as if they were Russian drones or Korean missiles. So, the Air Force has certainly no reason to talk to guys like me.

Nevertheless, occasionally a member of the intelligence community will seek out a member of the (serious) UFO research community to "talk" about things. Whether this is on his own time (likely) or whether it's a directed inquiry (much less likely), who knows? To my knowledge I have never had such an inquiry, but friends have. My own interactions with military/intel have been with retired guys who became interested during their duties and usually seem to know far less than I do --- but interesting regardless.

As to formerly classified documents: the UFO community has some of the best FOIA-hounds in the business and there have been several hundred pages released plus the entire BlueBook microfilm (available widely; ex. on FOLD.) These documents reveal a great deal about UFO reality (as unidentified mysteries) without proving that they represent non-Earthly technology. If there was any lab-bench concrete proof of that we wouldn't be joking about tabloid articles as if that was all there was to this --- we shouldn't be anyway, but this state of affairs has been the result of a clearly documented policy in government documents of 1953. The only chance (in my mind) that the government has physical proof is if the Roswell Crash was real, and something about what was retrieved is undeniably non-terrestrial --- this doesn't have to a "body" or even a mysterious machine; it can be as "simple" as metals with non-solar system isotope ratios.

By the way ... documents exist wherein the speculation that some UFOs represent non-terrestrial technology is mentioned in the FOIA'd papers. They are brief mentions. More media-famous stuff like alleged MJ-12 Roswell-related documents are hoaxed bunk.

My thanks if you get the UFOs and Government book into your library --- your administrator won't regret it --- 600+pp of brute scholarship written directly from the governments' own internal documents --- that's why it's bulletproof. We wrote that book only to get it into the libraries to save this story for the future, since today seems he!l-bent on burying it. My "royalty check" is about $5 a year. Hah! ... Don't get involved with UFO studies if money is your object. Not serious ones anyway.
                                                    Thanks for the response!

I've heard several compelling testimonies from first-hand sources about some strange goings-on at Wright-Patterson... enough that guys with first hand knowledge in my experience have called it affectionately: "The REAL Area 51"

Comment

My uncle thought he was St. Jerome

I'd call that a big yes

Comment

Isn’t there already a thread for Fake News?

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                          Isn’t there already a thread for Fake News?

Comment

Note that immediately following my response, the picture of the aluminum foil hat guy was posted --- anyone wonder why there is little incentive to comment in public about any of this?

Comment

Against better judgement before this 77-year old heads towards bed:

A). Don't understand the Project Mogul question. That was used as an explanation for Roswell and almost nothing else in UFOlogy. We know where all the Moguls were launched and what their tracks were. The hi-tech balloon theory (a better more inclusive way of phrasing this as it brings other projects to bear) for Roswell does not handle the case well at all because:
                                                              1]. there are no such launches recorded at proper times and going in proper directions;
                                                              2]. the area coverage of a Mogul balloon train comes nowhere near matching the description of the coverage of the "debris field" on the Foster Ranch as described by both military and civilian witnesses. (let alone the odd qualities of the metals.)

Something technological might have splattered down on that ranch but Mogul wasn't it (the rancher was quite familiar with weather balloons gone astray and had returned at least one to the military earlier.)

A guy at the Office of Naval Research (Urner Liddel) published a debunking article in around 1950 stating that all the ufos were explainable by similar balloon flights. Everyone in the military was confused by this article as none of the military agencies believed that practically any of the cases were balloons. It is a peculiarity of the field that in the 1948-1952+ years one of the most intriguing clusters of unexplained cases came from exactly the hi-tech balloon launchers and trackers who would know. (almost as if the phenomenon, whatever it is, was thumbing its nose at the best observers we had.)

B). On modern photos: There have never been detailed, close-up (non-hoax) photos of ufos --- make of that what you will, but it's almost as if you can't get a close encounter during the day, and not at night when someone has a camera ready. Distant objects are photographed all the time. One of my best friends has analyzed some Puerto Rico film left right and center by the highest technological means. His analysis "debunks all the debunkers" as it shows that all the mundane things proposed do not handle the data. Still: it is a distant object and tells you nothing but that here is an apparent object which resists conventional explanations.

Good evening.
                                                              Thank you for the response. Project Mogul was vaguely cited as the cause of the burst of public interest in UFOs in the 1950s by (maybe) Robert Park or Martin Gardener. They obviously come at such issues with extreme skepticism so I don't want to swallow the argument whole.

Comment

Note that immediately following my response, the picture of the aluminum foil hat guy was posted --- anyone wonder why there is little incentive to comment in public about any of this?
                                                                I greatly appreciate your posts OMM. Ignore the clownz. They just want their quick, cheap laugh.

Did you spend most of your work researching UFOs or paranormal, ghostly encounters?

I had an experience in my house in college, that really freaked me out at the time. But when I think back on it now, I've kind of just accepted that its possible ghosts exist, and just because I acknowledge that doesn't mean I should be terrified of that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                  I've had some really weird stuff happen in my life. Here's the one that's easiest to tell.

Summer of '83 we're down at the Lake Michigan lakeshore between Long Beach, IN and New Buffalo, MI. It's about dusk when my friend says he just saw a plane (a light) that was moving normally towards Chicago suddenly go backwards and stop. When he points it out to us, it's looks like normal airplane lights to me. I'm like whatever but I keep following it for whatever reason for about 15-20 seconds and it goes from moving very slowly west towards Chicago to going straight down at a 90 degree, no arc, no loop straight down at a much faster rate of speed then stops. He yells and I acknowledge I see it. Now the rest of the group is interested and all 6 of us watch this light zig zag back and forth at 45 degree angles, straight up and down changing speeds in no pattern... like something a helicopter could do but there is no sound and it seems to be far away, like a jet coming in but still 15 minutes before it's at the airport. It's at this time, we hear very loud jet engines and can make out two jets hauling azz above us, heading straight north over the lake towards this light. You could see the glow of each jets engine clearly. Meanwhile the light we'd been following was still doing it's thing and about now my buddies and I are thinking this is the real deal going down and we start OMGing and freaking out like b!tchez and then it happened. Whatever that was took the feck off - almost straight up and was gone in 2 seconds, covering half the sky before it disappeared. We could hear the jets out there for 20 minutes or so and then went above us heading south.

My cousins from Nashville were staying with my grandparents that week south of Culver Military and when we went down on the weekend, they were telling us how it sounded like a war zone a few days ago when there were jets flying all over the place out of Grissom AFB. It cracked numerous windows in their house that day.

If all that wasn't strange enough, later on I became aware there was a well documented UFO sighting around Indianapolis on the same day which was easy to remember because it was my parents 20th Ann. 6-30-83.

That would have been a good day to have social media.
                                                                  This is a great story. I can only imagine how crazy that must have been. Did you immediately think UFO? Or did you think it could be the Russians? And with Grissom AFB only being maybe 100 miles away, that makes total sense that jets tried to scramble whatever the mystery aircraft was.

Comment

We allow jokes around here. Don’t get butthurt over one.
                                                                    Last edited by Rack Em; 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

So my wife is a SMC chick - she has some good stories out of her time in LeMan hall. One night a bible gets thrown out of a closed nightstand and slams to the floor in the middle of the room for example. Lot more little things but the idea of something being moved by an unexplained force is much more impressive to me than visions, images or feelings. I make a point to ask for ghost stories any time I meet SMC ladies who lived in LeMan - rarely disappointed.

She also tends to see dead people. She isn't freaked out by it but will wake up and say something like "an older lady with XYZ features was in our room staring at me last night" - invariably she would run into someone whose parent/grandparent it was - not necessarily close friends and usually the deceased someone she never met - did not recognize in advance. Happened with her grandmother a decade ago on the eve of our daughters' baptism at about the same time her grandmother passed that night somewhat unexpectedly (as unexpected as any 80+ year old diabetic anyway). I wonder if she was more susceptible to LeMan experiences but then again it seems anyone I meet that has spent meaningful time there has something to share - especially 4th floor.

Like the thread concept and appreciate links to better material. So much hoaxy crap out there it gets hard to separate sh!t from shinola.

Comment

Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                                        So my wife is a SMC chick - she has some good stories out of her time in LeMan hall. One night a bible gets thrown out of a closed nightstand and slams to the floor in the middle of the room for example. Lot more little things but the idea of something being moved by an unexplained force is much more impressive to me than visions, images or feelings. I make a point to ask for ghost stories any time I meet SMC ladies who lived in LeMan - rarely disappointed.

She also tends to see dead people. She isn't freaked out by it but will wake up and say something like "an older lady with XYZ features was in our room staring at me last night" - invariably she would run into someone whose parent/grandparent it was - not necessarily close friends and usually the deceased someone she never met - did not recognize in advance. Happened with her grandmother a decade ago on the eve of our daughters' baptism at about the same time her grandmother passed that night somewhat unexpectedly (as unexpected as any 80+ year old diabetic anyway). I wonder if she was more susceptible to LeMan experiences but then again it seems anyone I meet that has spent meaningful time there has something to share - especially 4th floor.

Like the thread concept and appreciate links to better material. So much hoaxy crap out there it gets hard to separate sh!t from shinola.
                                                                        My ex lived in Le Man for 3 years. Will share a couple creepy, good stories when I get off work today. Everyone has creepy stories from there. SUPER haunted.

Comment

So your wife has ghosts coming to your house to see her? That's gnarley.

Comment

I've seen something that could easily be described as a ghost (never took a mind altering drug in my life so I def saw something) and have a really good story from my grandfather about a very crazy encounter he had off of zzyzx road on the way to Las Vegas... one day I'll have to take time to hash those two out.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              To Rack'em --- I explained how I and my friends have been taking this sh!t for 50 years, and you obtusely refuse to be any sort of civilized board member, so what can I say? I'll leave it with Shove it. (but hey, don't take it personally.)

To anyone who might want to communicate or ask for any information on any of these topics you can e-mail me at mswords@att.net if you wish. (as I won't be tossing out information in good faith here just so a$$es like the former can throw LONG-unwanted cheap shots.)

Comment

• #40
                                                                                To Rack'em --- I explained how I and my friends have been taking this sh!t for 50 years, and you obtusely refuse to be any sort of civilized board member, so what can I say? I'll leave it with Shove it. (but hey, don't take it personally.)

To anyone who might want to communicate or ask for any information on any of these topics you can e-mail me at mswords@att.net if you wish. (as I won't be tossing out information in good faith here just so a$$es like the former can throw LONG-unwanted cheap shots.)
                                                                                This is a message board and that was a joke, which you’ve obtusely refused to tolerate in the past.

I’ll be sure to shove it. Carry on.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                                                  We allow jokes around here. Don’t get butthurt over one.
                                                                                  Yeah we have only seen that one a thousand times. OMM is right. It's irks me because we have as close to an expert on here as possible and we get the same old jokes and then you give OMM a hard time. OMM keep your posts coming on this subject!!

Comment

• #42

My wife as the gift as well. She suspected it for a long time but never looked into it until a girl she works with approached her about it. This girl is heavily into it and she would make comments to my wife like "do you know there are kids following you?" or "theres an old man following you". Some people have this gift but choose not to tune in to it. The way it was explained to my wife is that you have to help them in some way. They aren't at rest until their issue is resolved. Could be as simple as telling someone something or other mundane tasks. How it was also explained was that on the other side certain people are a beacon to the spirits and they try to go to these beacons for help.

We've had occurrences in our house where things have moved from one spot to another, fallen out of cabinets etc. They like to pick on my wife when shes sleeping, poking her toes and things like that. We've felt a few very bad presences as well. And it was also explained to her that if she didn't want them around that you simply tell them to behave and they can stay or go away.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      I think a lot of people have this 'dynamic'... but my father and I would know what each other is thinking constantly... everything from food cravings to much deeper and layered stuff that was completely out of left field. I was a really good, straight-edged kid and now that I think about it, it's a good thing I was, that man just knew many random thoughts I would have and if I ever would have tried to hide something really bad from hm I'm sure it wouldn't have gone well...Odd thing we never really talked about it in depth, just an odd thing we both recognized in each other and just smiled about. I knew the moment he passed away, kind of felt it, tried to ignore it/dismiss it... the phone rang about ten minutes later and I even said to my wife before picking up, 'oh man, my dad just died..."

my wife and her sister have something too where they each just 'feel' each other's drastic moods from across the country. my niece was killed some years back and of course my sis in law gets bouts of depression as result. ..whenever those hit my wife feels it immediately and calls her sister. She also just feels when my sis in law is having a really good day...

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I have always been able to feel spirits when I am around them. My dad is a retired pastor and we often lived in houses that were near church cemeteries. During my ages of 5-9 we lived in a house where lights would turn on and off and things would be out of place on a constant basis.

When I was in college I commuted for a couple of years. During these two years, my parents lived way out in the country on a gravel road. At the end of the road was the church, the church cemetery, and the house my parents lived in. At the time I was dating my wife to be, she lived on campus. I kept a lot of late nights, typically not getting home until 1:00 or 2:00 AM. After about three weeks of living there I started to notice that when I got home there was a shadow in the driveway. Because there were a lot of deer out there I just brushed it off as that. Well, one weekend I got home extremely late and when I pulled into the driveway there was a man standing next to my dad's Bronco. He was wearing a black suit and had a bowler on his head. He was standing there with his arms crossed in front of his chest like he was angry. I sat in my car for a minute, pretty stunned, trying to decide how to react. When I opened my truck door, he was gone. Freaked me out. However, from that day on he was always in that same spot on nights when I would get home late. I always felt like he was watching over me.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I had just been transferred to Muncie, IN, and my wife fell in love with a house so we bought it. Our realtor tried to steer us away from the house, but never said why we shouldn't by the house. My family was still at our old house getting ready for the move, so I started painting bedrooms, etc. It was a big older 3 story home which did not have any lights installed on the ceilings of the rooms, so the house was very dark while I was painting after work. I constantly felt like I was being watched and I generally felt uncomfortable being there. I shrugged it off as being in a new environment, old house.

Once the family moved in, the house started feeling like a home. One night I was sitting at the Kitchen table doing some work, and everyone else was sleeping. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small child run past in the hallway. I got up to investigate, and no one was there with all the kids sleeping in their rooms. A couple of weeks later my wife and I heard our youngest daughter (she was 2 years old at the time) talking to someone in her room - we had one of those baby monitors. So we got up and the lights were on and toys were all over the floor. We asked her who she was talking to, and she told us her friend...a little boy. The next day we were all outside meeting new neighbors, and we told them of our daughter's "friend". One of the Mom's then told us that a boy had died in our house about 10 years ago...he was accidentally shot by a friend who was playing with the fathers gun. The neighbors said everyone calls our house haunted. As you can imagine, my wife and I were pretty taken aback with all this news.

We decided to have the house blessed, and a priest hung a crucifix near the spot the boy had died. After that, we did not experience or feel the little boy again. A few months later we were all hanging out with the neighbors again, and the lady that told us the stories about the little boy announced that he was living at their house now. We asked her why she thought that. She told us one night they heard footsteps - like a little kid running - in the bedroom above their room. Her and her husband checked on all their kids and they were asleep. They went to the playroom where they heard the footsteps, and the light was on and toys strewn all over the floor. Our neighbors said they were fine with it because they knew the little boy...
                                                                                          The only time you fail is if you are too afraid or lazy to try.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                                                                            I have always been able to feel spirits when I am around them. My dad is a retired pastor and we often lived in houses that were near church cemeteries. During my ages of 5-9 we lived in a house where lights would turn on and off and things would be out of place on a constant basis.

When I was in college I commuted for a couple of years. During these two years, my parents lived way out in the country on a gravel road. At the end of the road was the church, the church cemetery, and the house my parents lived in. At the time I was dating my wife to be, she lived on campus. I kept a lot of late nights, typically not getting home until 1:00 or 2:00 AM. After about three weeks of living there I started to notice that when I got home there was a shadow in the driveway. Because there were a lot of deer out there I just brushed it off as that. Well, one weekend I got home extremely late and when I pulled into the driveway there was a man standing next to my dad's Bronco. He was wearing a black suit and had a bowler on his head. He was standing there with his arms crossed in front of his chest like he was angry. I sat in my car for a minute, pretty stunned, trying to decide how to react. When I opened my truck door, he was gone. Freaked me out. However, from that day on he was always in that same spot on nights when I would get home late. I always felt like he was watching over me.
                                                                                            Is this an isolated experience/story for you, or are you aware of the larger and general phenomenon of "shadow people"?

Some people call it bunk, others call it imagination playing tricks, others call it regular ghost encounters, while some recognize them as distinct and different from ghosts, perhaps even inter-dimensional beings (like Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar).

Usually they're just apparitions/visitors passing through or stopping by to hang out. Sometimes you get a bad egg, and you simply ask them to leave. These experiences are pretty well documented, and previous posts in this thread fall along the same lines in terms of "feeling" entities.

They aren't ghosts, because they won't stick around and haunt. They're elusive, but interactive if you have a legit gift for noticing them, or if you are *lucky* enough to have a solid encounter. If they're chillin' you can tell them they're welcome to pass through or stay; if you get bad vibes, you can ask them to move along, which they usually always do.

I would have never believed this was a legit phenomenon, but I had an experience when I was younger in my grandparents house, and my grandma still corroborates my story today (leading me to believe there is a certain sensitivity that can be hereditary or something), and I have read similar experiences from various sources over the past few years:

When I was young, my mom and I lived with my grandparents. One night, while my mom was out, I woke up and started walking to her room to see if she was home yet. I was walking through the hallway, and saw a shadow on the wall near my grandparents' room that didn't belong. It started moving, and I got freaked out, so I jogged in to wake my grandma up and to tell her that we needed to GTFO. The shadow PRECEDED me into my grandparents room, but before I could decided this was bad news and start screaming, I felt reassured that I could walk in behind the shadow on the wall and everything would be okay. The shadow disappeared within the other shadows of the dark room, so I woke my grandma up and told her what I saw.

I'll never forget what she said, "Oh I call him Hank. He likes to hang out in the basement when I do laundry. He's nice. I've never seen him up here before, though. He must be bored."

And I don't know why that was satisfactory to my young, impressionable mind, but it made total sense, and I felt at ease. I left her room, watched the shadow flicker down the hallway towards the kitchen (where the basement door was), and that was that. Something so ridiculous, and probably totally unbelievable to anybody reading this story, felt totally natural. Not only did my grandma reassure me that it was okay in probably the only way that would have worked, but the presence FELT like it was perfectly normal and fine to be in the house. Whenever I recall the experience, there's a feeling that I can't quite grasp that I felt at the end of the episode, and I want to say it was almost like the thing was embarrassed at the situation.

Anywho, suddenly, "shadow people" are pretty widely accepted as an unexplainable thing that can happen. Hearing your story only reinforces my belief, because one of the most common appearances of "shadow people" is a masculine figure wearing a dark suit and a hat. I didn't catch any details like that in my experience, more so just "feelings" that were strong enough to override what should have been my fear.

I never saw him again, and haven't had a true sighting in a while, but I get the feeling in the middle of the night sometimes that something is hanging around... usually the feeling is indifferent, but every now and again I feel uneasy, so in my head I'll say "it's time to move on, bro," and then it's all good... back to sleep peacefully.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              There are times that I can feel something abnormal around me. It doesn't bother me and I have never been completely freaked out by that feeling. The experience I had during that time, at that particular house, was the only time I ever saw something so vivid. Normally when I get the feeling of being in the presence of something I don't actually see the figure. In this case I saw the man standing there and he was often there when I came home. He never went in the house though.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                This is a great story. I can only imagine how crazy that must have been. Did you immediately think UFO? Or did you think it could be the Russians? And with Grissom AFB only being maybe 100 miles away, that makes total sense that jets tried to scramble whatever the mystery aircraft was.
                                                                                                At first I thought it's a UFO as in unexplained object not space craft from another world. Then when the two of us watched it and were like... dude, this is what people mean by UFO's because it was WAY more than something explainable like light being refracted off the water or what not. At that time the other guys were either half interested and making jokes about ET. When the military jets showed up, and the light took off like it did, everyone was on board then. One of the guys tried telling the story to a local paper, maybe the SB Trib(?) and they had no interest or never printed it. I'm still in contact with 2 of those guys and we all think we know what we saw.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                                                  At first I thought it's a UFO as in unexplained object not space craft from another world. Then when the two of us watched it and were like... dude, this is what people mean by UFO's because it was WAY more than something explainable like light being refracted off the water or what not. At that time the other guys were either half interested and making jokes about ET. When the military jets showed up, and the light took off like it did, everyone was on board then. One of the guys tried telling the story to a local paper, maybe the SB Trib(?) and they had no interest or never printed it. I'm still in contact with 2 of those guys and we all think we know what we saw.
                                                                                                  You think you know, but you don't know, and you never will...

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                                                                                    You think you know, but you don't know, and you never will...
                                                                                                    **Spoiler Alert**

I think you're already dead.

.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X