X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish#1
    replied
    Former NY Giants HC Jim Fassel passed away, only 71. Rushed to a Las Vegas hospital complaining about chest pains. Got the Giants to the SB.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

Seems like Prince lifted a few bars from the MASH theme song.

Thank you for taking over the Lead Old Guy spot until the ET's return OMM after they finish probing him.
    Went back and listened to it and there are a couple of places where you hear it.

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

You got me.
    Seems like Prince lifted a few bars from the MASH theme song.

Thank you for taking over the Lead Old Guy spot until the ET's return OMM after they finish probing him.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

RIP to Francis L. Him and The Kid playing some Computer Blue up in the Big First Avenue in the sky.

What does the piano part remind you old timers of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5XSw6YhuI
    You got me.

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Also, happy 104th to my guy!

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Former "Mod Squad" actor Clarence Williams III died from colon cancer at the age of 81.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/06/us/cl...bit/index.html
    RIP to Francis L. Him and The Kid playing some Computer Blue up in the Big First Avenue in the sky.

What does the piano part remind you old timers of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5XSw6YhuI

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Former "Mod Squad" actor Clarence Williams III died from colon cancer at the age of 81.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/06/us/cl...bit/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Former Utah Jazz center Mark Eaton died after a bicycle crash. Still holds the record for average blocks per game. Dan Patrick said along with Shaq, Eaton was one of the largest people he's ever met.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
    Actor Gavin MacLeod passed away today at the age of 90. He was on McHale's Navy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but was probably best known as Captain Stubing on The Love Boat.
    Was in a lot of movies as a secondary before landing the TV gigs.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Actor Gavin MacLeod passed away today at the age of 90. He was on McHale's Navy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but was probably best known as Captain Stubing on The Love Boat.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Midnight Run,... such a good movie

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Charles Grodin passed at the age of 86. Starred in ‘Beethoven’ and ‘Heartbreak Kid,’ along with a lot of movies. Usually played a deadpan pitiful character.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

I disagree with a great amount of your underlying presuppositions on how life works but let's leave that aside. RIP Colt
    That’s cool man. You have your thoughts and opinions and I have mine. It’s part of life.

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

Unfortunately when you make the decision to use for the first time you choose the possibility of addiction. It happens to a lot of people. Fentanyl is terrible but people continue to buy drugs that a potentially laced with it.

And before anyone says anything about me not knowing first hand my wife’s cousin died just yesterday of an overdose. After his first overdose he never took it serious. I feel terrible for his parents because no parent should ever have to bury their kid.

I also know that my best friends nephew started using and they sent him to rehab 3 times before it finally helped. They said his worse problem was he would come right back to the area he was from and would get reconnected with the same people. But I told him if there’s a will there’s away. It’s unfortunate for everyone.
    I disagree with a great amount of your underlying presuppositions on how life works but let's leave that aside. RIP Colt

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

Some don't choose to use. Unless every decision boils down to personal choice, freedom and responsibility in your life philosophy.
    Unfortunately when you make the decision to use for the first time you choose the possibility of addiction. It happens to a lot of people. Fentanyl is terrible but people continue to buy drugs that a potentially laced with it.

And before anyone says anything about me not knowing first hand my wife’s cousin died just yesterday of an overdose. After his first overdose he never took it serious. I feel terrible for his parents because no parent should ever have to bury their kid.

I also know that my best friends nephew started using and they sent him to rehab 3 times before it finally helped. They said his worse problem was he would come right back to the area he was from and would get reconnected with the same people. But I told him if there’s a will there’s away. It’s unfortunate for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rennan-dead-37

Unfortunately this that out come for a lot people that choose to use.
    Sad he tried to get checked into rehab and no beds were available. RIP

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied

Unfortunately this that out come for a lot people that choose to use.
    Some don't choose to use. Unless every decision boils down to personal choice, freedom and responsibility in your life philosophy.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied

Unfortunately this is the out come for a lot people that choose to use.
    Last edited by irishff1014; 05-12-2021, 06:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied
    Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
    Damn, RIP Colt. He was fun to watch, that offense was electric.You have to wonder if that car accident and the TBI affected him and contributed to his death.
    Quite possible but he had several issues before that as well. Too bad he couldn’t get it turned around.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Damn, RIP Colt. He was fun to watch, that offense was electric.You have to wonder if that car accident and the TBI affected him and contributed to his death.

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Very bummed to hear about Colt, UH was so much fun to watch with him at QB.

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied
    Sitting at the park after preschool pickup with an old classmate of Colt’s. Such a bummer. Guy had his demons and just couldn’t beat them.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Colt Brennan's 2006 season was pure football joy. I used to record those late games and watch them on Sunday mornings. Timmy Chang was crazy fun to watch too, but Colt Brennan came after him and put up video game numbers too. I think he might have been a bit more talented than Chang.

Big time numbers in the passing game before it was really a thing. Tremendously sad. Too young and too much left to live for.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
    Details about his passing were not immediately available, but Brennan is believed to have been at a rehabilitation facility in California at the time of his death.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
    Jesus...

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

ESPN.com
    Texas Longhorns linebacker Jake Ehlinger found dead off campus, police say

Texas linebacker Jake Ehlinger, the 20-year-old younger brother of former Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger, was found dead on Thursday, according to police in Austin, Texas.

The Austin Police Department said it received a call at 12:18 p.m. local time and responded to the 1200 block of West 22nd Street, a residential area just to the west of the Texas campus, and identified the individual as Jake Ehlinger, who was a redshirt sophomore. No cause of death was released and police said the death was not considered suspicious.

The loss is another tragedy for the Ehlinger family. Sam and Jake's father, Ross, died in 2013 during a triathlon in San Francisco from a heart attack at age 46. Both sons dreamed of playing for the Longhorns after growing up as season-ticket holders.

Only five days ago, Jake was celebrating with Sam, their sister, Morgen, and their mother, Jena, after Sam was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the sixth round.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Bobby and Al are the only brothers to win Indy. He came to Indy every years until a couple of years ago when his health became an issue. I saw Bobby at the track many a time. His racing style reflected his personality. He wasn't afraid to push it and never shied away from sharing his opinion. IIRC he came up through dirt cars like a lot of drivers back in the 50's - 70's. Yep, he won Pikes Peak something like 10 times. Not sure if that's still a record or not. The Speedway is honoring him on the scoring tower. RIP Bobby. You just crossed the row of bricks.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Racing legend Bobby Unser, winner of three Indy 500's, passed away yesterday at the age of 87. Unser won dozens of races in several types of racing and was one of those guys who just seemed born behind the wheel of a race car.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Former astronaut Michael Collins died of cancer this morning at the age of 90. He was a graduate of West Point, but elected to serve in the Air Force to avoid any suggestion of nepotism (his father and uncle were both Army generals). He served as a fighter pilot during the 50's, a test pilot in the early 60's, and then as an astronaut until the early 70's. Collins flew on Gemini 10, but was best known as the command module pilot on Apollo 11, the first moon landing mission.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Former VP Walter Mondale passed away. A champion of liberal causes, he was the first presidential candidate to have a lady as his running mate. RIP Walter.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied

I was a teen during those crazy ABA years and went to a ton of games. Some of the most entertaining basketball you could ever watch. Big George McGinnis, Roger Brown, Dr J, Moses Malone, Rick Barry, Mel Daniels, etc.

Me and a couple of buddies were at one game against Kentucky. Pacers were down 12 or 13 with about two minutes left. We decide to leave. As we’re walking outside you could hear a roar from the arena. We ran back in to see the Pacers had somehow came all the way back and won. Slick got 110% from his teams and they loved him.
    My older cousins took me along some in the pre-Simon (83ish) days. Went more once Simon bought the team. One of my older cousins was his EA for years. Had I realized that at the time, I would have pressed for some good seats lol.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Boom Baby indeed. The years of Reggie Miller playing, and Slick calling it, were absolutely my favorite Pacer's era. But he did so much for the Hoosier state in general. I wasn't born or was way young during his coaching years.
    I was a teen during those crazy ABA years and went to a ton of games. Some of the most entertaining basketball you could ever watch. Big George McGinnis, Roger Brown, Dr J, Moses Malone, Rick Barry, Mel Daniels, etc.

Me and a couple of buddies were at one game against Kentucky. Pacers were down 12 or 13 with about two minutes left. We decide to leave. As we’re walking outside you could hear a roar from the arena. We ran back in to see the Pacers had somehow came all the way back and won. Slick got 110% from his teams and they loved him.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied

Hoosier Legend. Still the best coach the Pacers have ever had. Boom Baby!
    Boom Baby indeed. The years of Reggie Miller playing, and Slick calling it, were absolutely my favorite Pacer's era. But he did so much for the Hoosier state in general. I wasn't born or was way young during his coaching years.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    RIP Slick Leonard.
    Hoosier Legend. Still the best coach the Pacers have ever had. Boom Baby!

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    RIP Slick Leonard.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    RIP DMX.

Only liked of couple of his tunes, but really enjoyed him as Buns in Belly.

Leave a comment:

• SeekNDestroy
    replied
    Not sure where he got his info, but my son said it was a brain aneurysm.
    Thank you. I had been unable to find a cause, only that it was “unexpected.”

On the same topic, I’m really tired of reading about former players dying far too young. It seems that ND has had more than it’s share the last decade, or so.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Not sure where he got his info, but my son said it was a brain aneurysm.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by SeekNDestroy View Post
    LaRon Moore has passed away. I played against him in high school. He was like an adult playing against junior high kids.
    This hits close to home. My oldest was two years behind LaRon at Franklin Central and played on the same team. My son was pretty small as a freshman and LaRon would put him on his shoulders and carry him around. Made his day. I believe he is the only FC kid to play for ND. IIRC he played for the 49'ers for a couple of years. RIP LaRon.

Activities and Societies: Three year letter winner in Varsity Football. Four year starter in Varsity Basketball. Two year letter winner Varsity Track, Phil N. Eskew mental attitude award winner for scholarship, leadership and athletics for 1990 4A State Football Champions Franklin Central. 1991 Marion County Athlete of the year. National Honors Society, Leadership Committee, chess Club, A.P. English, A.P. Math and Certified lifeguard. Participated in a reading project that focused on third graders in the community.

Maintained a 3.5 in college prep courses, while earning 3 varsity letters in football. 4 year starter in basketball and a member of the national honors society.
    Last edited by Irish#1; 03-31-2021, 07:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SeekNDestroy
    replied
    LaRon Moore has passed away. I played against him in high school. He was like an adult playing against junior high kids.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Howard Schnellenberger, former HC at Miami, Louisville and a number of schools, passed away earlier today at the age of 87. Schnellenberger played for Bear Bryant at Kentucky, was an assistant at Bama and was the guy who landed Namath. He later went on to lead the Hurricanes to their first NC in '83 and laid the foundation for them becoming a powerhouse program.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Actor George Segal died Tuesday at the age of 87 from complications stemming from bypass surgery. Segal was a leading man during the 60's & 70's (I especially liked him as the lead in the 1966 WWII movie King Rat). Most will remember him from his costarring role with David Spade on the TV show Just Shoot Me from 20 years ago. He won 2 Golden Globe awards and was nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    The great Elgin Baylor has passed away. Might have been of the all time best. 10 time All NBA.

Baylor averaged 29.7 points and 20.3 rebounds per game for Seattle University. Next season he averaged 32.5 points per game and led Seattle to the NCAA championship game, Seattle's only trip to the Final Four.

RIP Elgin.
    Last edited by Irish#1; 03-22-2021, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by NDRock View Post
    Dick Hoyt passed away. One of the most impressive people I’ve ever seen. He competed with his son Rick in countless marathons, races, and triathlons. Here’s a short video from one of the Ironman races they completed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM
    Very impressive and dedicated father. A credit to the human race. RIP Mr. Hoyt.

Leave a comment:

• NDRock
    replied
    Dick Hoyt passed away. One of the most impressive people I’ve ever seen. He competed with his son Rick in countless marathons, races, and triathlons. Here’s a short video from one of the Ironman races they completed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Heard on Dan Patrick, that he got miffed because they would introduced Ray Leonard as Sugar Ray Leonard and he was introduced as Marvin Hagler minus his Marvelous, so he had his name legally changed to Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Also mentioned that when he retired he went to Italy and made spaghetti westerns.

This is brutal.

https://youtu.be/HL2a2-8OHdg
    Last edited by Irish#1; 03-15-2021, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied

Marvelous Marvin Hagler. RIP

i doubt there will ever be another time in boxing to rival that period. So many studs. Those guys were all lethal and would move weight classes to go at each other.
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the MMA stuff, but boxing as a standalone today just sucks compared to the past. Shit just died after Tyson. And the personalities are just lacking anymore.

Even in MMA, aside from Conor McGregor, there's just constant cycling of boring fighters in and out. I do enjoy some of the female MMA. IMO, more entertaining on the whole than men's.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Those days in the early/mid 80s when I was in grade school were great for boxing. Hearns, Hagler, Macho, Leonard, Duran, etc.. I remember watching on the weekend down at my grandfather's farm. And you had some interesting heavyweights too, and then later 80s Tyson on the scene. MMH had some great fights though. The ones with Duran, Hearns, and Leonard I remember most.
    Marvelous Marvin Hagler. RIP

i doubt there will ever be another time in boxing to rival that period. So many studs. Those guys were all lethal and would move weight classes to go at each other.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
    I'm seeing a couple of reports claiming Hagler died of a heart attack. He supposedly began experiencing chest pains and difficulty breathing and was taken to a hospital, but later passed away. Heck of a fighter. He always showed up in great shape and gave a 100% effort. Had a granite chin and was a genuinely tough, skilled fighter. One of the all-time greatest fighter I ever watched.
    Those days in the early/mid 80s when I was in grade school were great for boxing. Hearns, Hagler, Macho, Leonard, Duran, etc.. I remember watching on the weekend down at my grandfather's farm. And you had some interesting heavyweights too, and then later 80s Tyson on the scene. MMH had some great fights though. The ones with Duran, Hearns, and Leonard I remember most.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X