X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish#1
    replied
    Jane Powell, Hollywood’s Girl Next Door, Is Dead at 92

Typecast from the outset, she was a star of movie musicals before she was out of her teens. But her big-screen career peaked when she was in her 20s.

Jane Powell with Howard Keel in the 1954 movie “Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.” It was one of the last great MGM musicals;
    By Robert Berkvist

Sept. 16, 2021Jane Powell, whose pert good looks and lyrical soprano voice brought her Hollywood stardom before she was out of her teens — but whose movie career peaked when she was still in her 20s with a starring role in one of the last great MGM musicals, the 1954 extravaganza “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” — died on Thursday at her home in Wilton, Conn. She was 92.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Go back and watch Akroyd on the weekend update.

Only 61. Way too young. Apparently he's been battling cancer. RIP Norm.
    Love Akroyd, one of my favorite SNL alums that hit the big screen. Norm has always been my favorite Weekend Update guy though. Norm wasn't a great sketch comic away from the Weekend Update desk unlike Akroyd, he's not known for many characters other than his Burt Reynolds on Celebrity Jeopardy, but he's definitely one of the best to be behind the desk.

Seth Meyers did a tribute yesterday, he talked about how Norm used to say SNL was great because it was one of that last places on TV where you could still bomb. If SNL was doing a bad show and the audience wasn't into it you just bombed and there was nothing you could do, but he had just as much fun doing a show when it was bombing as when a show is going well. He would deliver his lines and just stare out into the crowd and you'd have to laugh at the uncomfortable moment, you felt the connection as he unflinchingly performed. I'm paraphrasing of course, Norm just had that unique delivery and comedic timing.

I'm sure a lot of people have seen this, but this is one of Norm's many classic late night moments. He basically hijacks an interview and it made the show infinitely better:

This one is pretty good too, Norm did this a number of times to Conan:

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
    RIP Parys Haralson. I remember his playing days at Tennessee and when he was drafted by my 49ers. 37 is way to young. Prayers to his family and loved ones.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/09/14/fo...-niners-saints
    Way too young. RIP

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
    RIP Parys Haralson. I remember his playing days at Tennessee and when he was drafted by my 49ers. 37 is way to young. Prayers to his family and loved ones.

Saw him play in 2004 when ND visited Neyland. Wasn’t expecting much from ND as Willingham’s days seemed numbered. Lo & behold, ND pulls the upset but in ND fashion lose the next two games in close fashion to Pitt & BC and then end the season 6-6 (IIRC). Underachieving team that had two wins vs Top 10 opponents.

Leave a comment:

• Sherm Sticky
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Norm's voice and delivery were truly one of a kind. Very sad. The world needs funny now more than ever.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by tussin View Post
    RIP Norm!

Awesome. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    Norm MacDonald, the undisputed king of SNL weekend update, just passed away,… always liked MacDonald
    Unbelievable. I had no idea he was ill. One of the most underrated comedians ever. Also one of the smartest despite making you think he was simple-minded. RIP to the “old chunk of coal”

Leave a comment:

• NDRock
    replied
    Originally posted by tussin View Post
    RIP Norm!

Two of my favorites from Norm. Also enjoyed him and Adam Carolla breaking down Kenny Rogers’ songs.

Leave a comment:

• tussin
    replied
    RIP Norm!

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied
    Who is to blame for Norm’s death? You guessed it…Frank Stallone

God this sucks. He was one of my all time favorite comedians.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenore View Post
    Norm was one of my favorite comedians. He had that great "Aw shucks", innocent comedic delivery. Whenever I was down I would look up YouTube videos of him on Letterman and Dennis Miller Live and howl like an idiot.

I always felt the world never recognized his potential.

RIP Norm and thanks for all the laughs over the years,

Cheers and Go Irish!!
    Agree, always thought Norm and Jon Lovitz were underrated.

Leave a comment:

• TNUtoNotreDame
    replied
    Norm MacDonald, the undisputed king of SNL weekend update, just passed away,… always liked MacDonald
    Have we checked Hillary's whereabouts'?

RIP Norm!

Leave a comment:

• Greenore
    replied
    Norm was one of my favorite comedians. He had that great "Aw shucks", innocent comedic delivery. Whenever I was down I would look up YouTube videos of him on Letterman and Dennis Miller Live and howl like an idiot.

I always felt the world never recognized his potential.

RIP Norm and thanks for all the laughs over the years,

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Go back and watch Akroyd on the weekend update.

Only 61. Way too young. Apparently he's been battling cancer. RIP Norm.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    RIP Coach. Irish HC at 25 and people were worried that Tommy was too young for OC! lol

AP

Terry Brennan, star halfback who later coached Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team, dies at 93

Sep 8, 2021SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Terry Brennan, a star halfback on three unbeaten Notre Dame teams who was hailed as a wunderkind when he succeeded Irish coaching great Frank Leahy at just 25 years old, has died. He was 93.

The school announced his death Wednesday. Brennan died Tuesday, said the funeral home in Skokie, Illinois, handling the arrangements. He had lived in nearby Wilmette.

Brennan led the Irish in receiving and scoring as they won back-to-back national championships in 1946 (8-0-1) and 1947 (9-0) and went 9-0-1 and finished ranked No. 2 in 1948. His teammates included Heisman Trophy winners John Lujack and Leon Hart.

As both a player and coach, Brennan took part in games that rank among the biggest in Notre Dame history.

In 1946, Brennan made a key interception when the second-ranked Irish played to a 0-0 tie against No. 1 Army at packed Yankee Stadium in a matchup dubbed "The Game of the Century."

Army drove to the Notre Dame 12, but Brennan picked off a pass at the 5. On the next play, he turned in Notre Dame's longest run of 22 yards.

"It turned out to be kind of a dull game of the century," he said in a 2010 interview.
    Terry Brennan, left, was promoted to Notre Dame's head coach at the age of 25 in a move that shocked the college football world. He finished with a record of 32-18. AP Photo
    Both teams finished the season unbeaten and neither played in bowls. Notre Dame was voted No. 1 in the final AP poll and Army finished No. 2.

"Most of us were young guys and didn't realize how big it was until 10 or 20 years later," he said.

Just over a decade later, he coached the Irish to a 7-0 victory over Oklahoma in 1957 that ended the Sooners' record 47-game winning streak.

After his playing career ended, Brennan was drafted by the NFL but instead chose to coach at Mount Carmel High School in Chicago while earning a law degree from DePaul University. After leading Mount Carmel to city championships in 1951, 1952 and 1953, Brennan was hired to coach the freshman team at Notre Dame.

A season later, Brennan was promoted to head coach in a move that shocked the college football world. Leahy had won four national titles in 11 seasons at Notre Dame, but retired due to health concerns.

Brennan started strong, with Notre Dame finishing 9-1 and ranked No. 4 in 1954 and 8-2 and No. 9 a season later. But the Irish dropped to 2-8 in 1956 despite having Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Paul Hornung, and were beaten 47-14 by Michigan State and 40-0 by Oklahoma in South Bend in what was the team's most-lopsided loss at Notre Dame Stadium.

As a result, the school's faculty board in control of athletics recommended Brennan be fired. But The Rev. Theodore Hesburgh, president of the university, decided to bring Brennan back.

Notre Dame went 7-3 the next season, finishing No. 10 and boosted by the big upset of Oklahoma.

Brennan said in 2007 that when the Irish were blown out by Oklahoma in 1956, he took some chances that didn't work. He felt more confident of his team's ability in 1957, so he called the game more conservatively and the defense played particularly well.

"You never play a perfect game, but I don't think the guys made a lot of mistakes," he said. "There were very few, if any, and that was the key."

Brennan recalled the Oklahoma fans were shocked.

"The silence was deafening," he said.

Brennan was fired after the Irish finished 6-4 in 1958, with the dismissal coming four days before Christmas. The move was criticized by many not only because of its timing, but supporters said Brennan was taking the fall after the school cut back on scholarships as it raised academic standards.

Brennan finished with a record of 32-18, a .640 winning percentage. He was succeeded by Joe Kuharich, another former Notre Dame player who posted a 17-23 record in four seasons.

That was the last time Brennan coached football. He served as a player conditioning coach for the Cincinnati Reds' 1959 spring training. He worked for years in banking and investment and lived in suburban Chicago.

Brennan was preceded in death by his wife, Kel. He is survived by four son, two daughters, 25 grandchildren and 32 great-grandchildren.
    Last edited by Irish#1; 09-10-2021, 06:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ab2cmiller
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    "You come at the king, you best not miss."

Iconic line and Michael K. Williams wasn't even on screen when it was said.

Michael B. Jordan has now lost Chadwick Boseman and MKW in about a year.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

It was often attributed to Bear, but may have come from one of his assistants. Nobody really knows. Cunningham is mistakenly credited for forcing Bear to integrate his team, but that's totally inaccurate. Bear had tried to integrate Texas A&M in the 50's and the powers there wouldn't allow it. He'd pushed to integrate at Bama during the 60's, but those were the George Wallace days and it wasn't happening. He'd actually recruited a couple of outstanding black players in 1970 (one, Wilbur Jackson, would be elected team captain a few years later), but freshmen weren't allowed to play in those days. What Cunningham's performance DID do was convince the rest of the administration and the fan base that integration was absolutely necessary.
    based on my recollection, you are spot on. It was another coach who said that. I believe it was a HC of another SEC team…Kentucky maybe? I also had heard that Bear went to SC locker room after the game to heap praise on Cunningham but Sam debunked that as well. Still a cool story. RIP Bam

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

Didn't Bear later say Sam the Bam did more to integrate Alabama than MLK? (cuz his white dude's couldn't stop him)
    It was often attributed to Bear, but may have come from one of his assistants. Nobody really knows. Cunningham is mistakenly credited for forcing Bear to integrate his team, but that's totally inaccurate. Bear had tried to integrate Texas A&M in the 50's and the powers there wouldn't allow it. He'd pushed to integrate at Bama during the 60's, but those were the George Wallace days and it wasn't happening. He'd actually recruited a couple of outstanding black players in 1970 (one, Wilbur Jackson, would be elected team captain a few years later), but freshmen weren't allowed to play in those days. What Cunningham's performance DID do was convince the rest of the administration and the fan base that integration was absolutely necessary.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Former Trojan and Patriot Sam “The Bam” Cunningham passes at the young age of 71.
    And Randall's big bro too.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied

I hate to hear that. I still remember him running all over my Bama team in 1970. Heck of a football player.
    Didn't Bear later say Sam the Bam did more to integrate Alabama than MLK? (cuz his white dude's couldn't stop him)

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post

I just finished up the last season of the Wire the day before he died. Watched him die on the show one day and then he died for real the next. He was so good as Omar. Then I literally stay red watching Boardwalk Empire last night not knowing he was in it. What a weird turn of events.
    That is weird. Loved Boardwalk Empire.

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied
    Michael K. Williams, an actor best known for his role as Omar Little on HBO's "The Wire," has died. He was 54.

Williams was found dead in his New York City apartment Monday afternoon, a law enforcement official told CNN.
    Investigators found drug paraphernalia near his body, the official said. The investigation is ongoing, according to another law enforcement source who spoke to CNN.
    I just finished up the last season of the Wire the day before he died. Watched him die on the show one day and then he died for real the next. He was so good as Omar. Then I literally started watching Boardwalk Empire last night not knowing he was in it. What a weird turn of events.
    Last edited by Irishnuke; 09-07-2021, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Former Trojan and Patriot Sam “The Bam” Cunningham passes at the young age of 71.
    I hate to hear that. I still remember him running all over my Bama team in 1970. Heck of a football player.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    I really liked him in Boardwalk Empire and Hap & Leonard as well.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Michael K. Williams, an actor best known for his role as Omar Little on HBO's "The Wire," has died. He was 54.

Williams was found dead in his New York City apartment Monday afternoon, a law enforcement official told CNN.
    Investigators found drug paraphernalia near his body, the official said. The investigation is ongoing, according to another law enforcement source who spoke to CNN.
    Saw all the tributes to him on Twitter but never found the cause of death. Based on your post, sounds like it could’ve been an OD. Regardless, he was quite the talent and left us w/ some great performances.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Actor Ed Asner passed away this morning at the age of 91. He was best known for playing the gruff Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore show in the 70's. He was a solid character actor and mayber better known in recent years as the voice of the old man who was the main character in the animated Pixar film Up. I also remember him in a small role as the captain of the slave ship that brought Kunta Kinte to America in the miniseries Roots.
    Played Santa in Elf IIRC. Not sure I would categorize him as a character actor. He had a number of main roles and did over 60+ movies along with TV. He was still acting up until last year. RIP Mr. Grant.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Actor Ed Asner passed away this morning at the age of 91. He was best known for playing the gruff Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore show in the 70's. He was a solid character actor and mayber better known in recent years as the voice of the old man who was the main character in the animated Pixar film Up. I also remember him in a small role as the captain of the slave ship that brought Kunta Kinte to America in the miniseries Roots.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Anyone who follows racing knows of Miller. He wasn't afraid to tell it like it is. Many times butting heads with his bosses at the Indy Star. Also covered the Pacers in the ABA days of the late 60's. RIP Robin.

Met Robin Miller at Iaria’s once back in the day. RIP.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Nor did the 4 wheeled RMK... AJ.
    Maybe not, but I think he respected him.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied

Oh yeah. Mr. Knight did not like Robin Miller.
    Nor did the 4 wheeled RMK... AJ.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Butted heads with everyone. Read his stuff in Road & Track / Car & Driver mags, Racer and was on with Dave Despain back in the Speed Channel days.

I think he even put Bobby on blast.
    Oh yeah. Mr. Knight did not like Robin Miller.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Anyone who follows racing knows of Miller. He wasn't afraid to tell it like it is. Many times butting heads with his bosses at the Indy Star. Also covered the Pacers in the ABA days of the late 60's. RIP Robin.

Butted heads with everyone. Read his stuff in Road & Track / Car & Driver mags, Racer and was on with Dave Despain back in the Speed Channel days.

I think he even put Bobby on blast.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced on Wednesday the death of racing journalist Robin L. Miller. He was 71.

The Southport, Indiana native rose to prominence as an Indianapolis Star sports writer in 1968 and had articles in Autoweek, Car and Driver, Sports Illustrated and RACER.

Known predominantly as a writer and columnist covering the Indianapolis 500 and INDYCAR SERIES racing, Miller became a television personality first with ESPN, then SPEED and most recently NBC. He also had long stints at all of Indianapolis’ TV affiliates over the years.

Miller’s journalism career began at The Star in 1968, and he never retired from writing about auto racing. His stories and columns were featured in Autoweek, Car and Driver, Sports Illustrated and RACER, among other notable publications and websites, and for years he hosted shows on Indianapolis radio stations as he was a master storyteller.

In July, Miller announced he had terminal cancer and leukemia, writing about his diagnosis in an article for RACER.

IMS president Doug Boles commented on Miller’s passing via Twitter, saying in part, “Nobody cared more about telling the stories and creating fans of our sport than Robin Miller. RIP.”

In a statement on Twitter, IMS owner Roger Penske said, “Racing has lost one of its most well-respected journalists and most beloved personalities.”

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Hopefully Charlie already spent his Ted Lasso money.

Dude loved his threads. Always dressed the part.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    One of the Everly Bros died the other day. My mom thought they were dreamy.
    Don, he was 84. My older sister also thought they were dreamy.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    One of the Everly Bros died the other day. My mom thought they were dreamy.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    So many icons and legends from my youth are entering that point in life where it’s sad but not unexpected.

Leave a comment:

• Greenore
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post

Wyman is 83 I believe.

There are only two founding members left. Jones and Watts are dead and Wyman retired.

Ronnie Wood replaced Mick Taylor, who replaced Brian Jones.

The Rolling Stones are basically Kiss and The Beach Boys now.
    I'm sure I stand corrected. Thanks Sea Turtle. The evolution of guitarists after the death of Brian Jones drowning was pretty amazing. Rory Gallagher was given consideration (but apparently too humble to acknowledge) and I often wonder what might have been.

I understand what you are saying, but I cringed at your comparison of The Rolling Stones to KISS. I would prefer that The Rolling Stones are now, basically, The Who.

Sad that so many of these "cultural icons" (sorry Irish#1) have reached their "best before" date.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    TBH, I'm surprised any of them are still alive. RIP Charlie.

Leave a comment:

• TDHeysus
    replied
    Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts passed away earlier today at the age of 80.
    I just saw this, dang - Charlie Watts was a great drummer. Hard to find another drummer that played at such massive gigs for as long as he did. He hated playing 'over the top' on 2 and 4 and eventually just stopped doing it. Ringo has outlasted him, but Charlie did more gigs at the highest levels for a lot longer.

....Always liked Charlie and Bill Wyman as they seemed so different than Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Much more subdued.

I think Charlie was the oldest of the group but I can't believe that Keith outlived him.....
    He didn't want any fame at all, and avoided any type of publicity or recognition for that matter. He reluctantly accepted recognition from his peers (thru the persistence of his peers). However, make no mistake, dude used to f**k it up back in the day (shockingly, much like Keith did/does).

Originally posted by Irishize View Post

It’s out of print and I haven’t been able to find it on iTunes but his jazz album is phenomenal. He recorded it with an ensemble in the mid-to-late-90s. Can’t remember name of guy who did vocals but it’s one of the smoothest albums I owned back in the day.
    He was a superb jazz drummer, I think that jazz better suited his style. As I said previously he was not a fan of playing that 'over the top on the backbeat (on 2 and 4)' that is so closely associated with rock drumming.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts passed away earlier today at the age of 80.
    It’s out of print and I haven’t been able to find it on iTunes but his jazz album is phenomenal. He recorded it with an ensemble in the mid-to-late-90s. Can’t remember name of guy who did vocals but it’s one of the smoothest albums I owned back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Turtle
    replied

Wow, that is a shocker. Always liked Charlie and Bill Wyman as they seemed so different than Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Much more subdued.

I think Charlie was the oldest of the group but I can't believe that Keith outlived him!

Cheers and Go Irish!!
    Wyman is 83 I believe.

There are only two founding members left. Jones and Watts are dead and Wyman retired.

Ronnie Wood replaced Mick Taylor, who replaced Brian Jones.

The Rolling Stones are basically Kiss and The Beach Boys now.
    Last edited by Sea Turtle; 08-24-2021, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenore
    replied
    Wow, that is a shocker. Always liked Charlie and Bill Wyman as they seemed so different than Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Much more subdued.

I think Charlie was the oldest of the group but I can't believe that Keith outlived him!

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    Actress Markie Post passed away on Saturday after a long battle with cancer. She was 70 years of age and best remembered as Christine on “Night Court”. Best female mullet of her time. RIP
    Night Court was a pretty good show and Markie being hot didn't hurt it. RIP Markie.

Her first on-screen credit came by way of appearances in 1970s shows like "CHiPs," "Barnaby Jones," "The Incredible Hulk," "The Lazarus Syndrome," "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" and "Hart to Hart."

From there, her career in TV kicked into high gear with appearances on more high-profile shows like "The Love Boat," "Cheers," "Fantasy Island" and "The A-Team" in the 1980s before getting her breakout role of bail bondswoman Terri Michaels in the TV series "The Fall Guy." The outlet reports she appeared in 65 episodes of the action drama between 1982 and 1985.

From 1985 to 1992, she appeared as public defender Christine Sullivan for 159 episodes of the comedy "Night Court."

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X