Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65 yo
    F

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
    Bob Gibson :(

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk
    Just saw that he had passed. "Gibson died Friday at the age of 84, after battling pancreatic cancer for the past year."

Famous for his high kick and blazing fastball. Teammates with Lou Brock and Tim McCarver. They had some really good teams.

from si.com
    Who else but Gibson would remember that Pete LaCock hit a grand slam off him on the final pitch of his career in 1975, and years later, hit LaCock with the first pitch at an old-timerís game. He did the same thing to Reggie Jackson at an old-timerís game because Jackson had the audacity to hit one off him at the previous old-timerís game.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Tim McCarthy was a part of the Notre Dame experience. He was a tradition in every way, like the band marching to the field, trumpets under the dome, and the player walk. My favorite part of ND games was hearing the 1812 Overture, and immediately following it we'd get Tim's corny jokes along with his sage advise. Those two events ended every 3rd quarter, and it was weird when Tim was no longer there (Although they did play past recordings for a bit, although I don't know if they still do...I only got to the Louisville away game last year). Needless to say, sad to see him go, but he's in a better place. Safe travels, Tim!

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

Gibson was one of the all-time greatest pitchers. During his peak years, he was just a monster.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    Yes, I cried.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">𝙈𝙖𝙮 𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙥𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙚Ö <br><br>We mourn the loss of Sgt. Tim McCarthy, who gave safety messages (&amp; accompanying puns) at <a href="https://twitter.com/NDFootball?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NDFootball</a> games for 55 years.<br><br>We pray for all who loved Tim &amp; join them in celebrating his life.<br><br>➡️<a href="https://t.co/lpy2i5Fuoy">https://t.co/lpy2i5Fuoy</a> <a href="https://t.co/UtUDNHOpZS">pic.twitter.com/UtUDNHOpZS</a></p>&mdash; The Fighting Irish 😷 (@FightingIrish) <a href="https://twitter.com/FightingIrish/status/1312074867471155200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
    The legendary Officer Tim McCarthy passed away :(

I will forever cherish the memory of his gameday puns.
    I remember hearing him for the first time back in '73 during the MSU game. When I heard it I thought it was corny. When I heard him again that same season on Thanksgiving Day against Air Force, it clicked for me. An Irish legend will be missed. RIP Tim and drive safely to the pearly gates.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    "if you get blitzed, you'll wind up getting sacked."

A staple.

Leave a comment:

• notredomer23
    replied
    Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
    Heís truly a legend. My dad always reminds me when weíre at games that he's been doing that since back when he was an ND undergrad. My dad graduated in 74, so that was a tremendous run!
    https://strongofheart.nd.edu/profile...pLeFI0.twitter

This is an excellent profile on him from a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• NDBoiler
    replied
    He’s truly a legend. My dad always reminds me when we’re at games that he's been doing that since back when he was an ND undergrad. My dad graduated in 74, so that was a tremendous run!

Would be great to be able to see him walk up to St. Peter at the pearly gates and say, “Can I have your attention please!”
    Last edited by NDBoiler; 10-02-2020, 11:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• notredomer23
    replied
    That one hurts. He had so many iconic lines that stick fondly in my mind even now as much as 8 years after the fact.

"Remember, when the roads are a jungle, no monkeying around."

RIP.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Dang. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

This is truly upsetting. Simply amazing that he could get that entire stadium so quiet, I swear you could hear a pin drop. RIP

Leave a comment:

• IrishLax
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
    Helen Reddy passed away yesterday at the age of 78. She had several hits during the 70's, but was best known for her 1974 hit "I Am Woman."
    "I Am Woman." was the anthem for the Women's Liberation movement back then. Delta Dawn was her other big hit on the pop charts.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Not a good day for 70's singers. Mac Davis also passed away yesterday at the age of 78. Davis wrote a couple of hit songs for Elvis then went on to have a number of hits himself. He hosted his own variety show in the mid-70's and had a moderately successful acting career, most notably co-starring in North Dallas Forty.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Helen Reddy passed away yesterday at the age of 78. She had several hits during the 70's, but was best known for her 1974 hit "I Am Woman."

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
    Sayers had what was for his time a unique form of running --- he made his hardest cuts off his heels, leg fully extended. Great physics for force projection, and helped if the turf wasn't unforgiving so that he could dig in a little.

I don't know if the following is true, but watching him (and I was definitely a Bears fan back then with Butkus etc), I thought that if he got hit with that leg dug in that hard he might dislocate something. As I say, I don't know if any of his leg injuries were caused that way or not, but it was high risk// high reward run cutting.
    His running was a thing of beauty to watch. He was just so fluid and instinctual. My dad used to say he ran like a deer.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man Mike
    replied
    Sayers had what was for his time a unique form of running --- he made his hardest cuts off his heels, leg fully extended. Great physics for force projection, and helped if the turf wasn't unforgiving so that he could dig in a little.

I don't know if the following is true, but watching him (and I was definitely a Bears fan back then with Butkus etc), I thought that if he got hit with that leg dug in that hard he might dislocate something. As I say, I don't know if any of his leg injuries were caused that way or not, but it was high risk// high reward run cutting.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
    Wow what a huge bummer. A good role model for the AA community. Passed too young and career ended too young.
    Just watched this. I forgot how good he really was. Talk about a second gear. You can actually see in several plays where he just turns it on with no effort. His cuts and breaks were not your typical hard change of direction.

<iframe width="500" height="320" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MIpgdo9Ab38" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 09-24-2020, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
    ND season. It's been a good two weeks.
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• BeatSC
    replied
    Wow what a huge bummer. A good role model for the AA community. Passed too young and career ended too young.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Sayers was the first NFL player I remember being aware of and liking as a kid.

Leave a comment:

• NDRock
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    Talk about a guy whose career was cut short due to injury. Still made the HOF.

HOF person, too.
    Yep, came around too early. A lot of the old timers had careers cut short by very treatable injuries. RIP.

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied
    RIP Gale and RIP Animal

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

HOF person, too.
    IIRC, the youngest ever to be inducted to the HOF. That's how good he was even with a shortened career.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    Gale Sayers passed away

HOF person, too.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    Gale Sayers passed away
    Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
    RIP Kansas Comet
    Sad news. I remember watching him play, one of my favorites. Probably the smoothest runner in the history of the NFL. Looked like he was on a rail or skates.

RIP GS

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    RIP Kansas Comet

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Gale Sayers passed away

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Tommy DeVito, a founding member of The Four Seasons, passed away today at the age of 92. If you ever saw Jersey Boys (I just watched it for the first time recently), then you know he was a complicated guy who founded the group and later brought in Frankie Valli as the lead singer.
    Going to rewatch that movie this week. As a 70s born kid, the 4Ss songs popped more than most at that age. And growing up in an Italian hood, of course they got played in every house.

RIP Tommy.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    December 1963 is one of the best songs ever. I believe Tommy or Bob wrote that about the first time with their wife,... anyway great song.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Tommy DeVito, a founding member of The Four Seasons, passed away today at the age of 92. If you ever saw Jersey Boys (I just watched it for the first time recently), then you know he was a complicated guy who founded the group and later brought in Frankie Valli as the lead singer.
    Big Four Seasonís fan. Grew up with them. They weíre going toe to toe with The Beatles for record sales. The movie was pretty good. Also saw the play. In HS, I made an 8 track with a lot of their songs that Iíd use when I went on a date. Worked every time! Lol

RIP Tommy and Walk Like a Man towards the Pearly Gates.

Leave a comment:

• Wild Bill
    replied
    ND season. It's been a good two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
    You and me are pretty close to identical. Lol. Why do we fight so much?
    Honestly I think most people align with most of what you and I agree with on the issues. It's the silly politics/parties and media (both sides) that's the issue.

Originally posted by dad4aa View Post
    Maybe we can take the political bullshit out of the RIP thread and put it where it belongs
    I'm trying. I've responded to a few "I've responded on the other side"

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    I'm absolutely independent and have gone split ticket most of my life. I'm pro national health care, pro lesbian/gay/bi, "pro-choice" first trimester and pro-life 2nd and 3rd, pro flat tax, pro keeping out stupid wars, and pro-limited gov.

If you consider that fitting neatly into the box of GOP or conservative, I'm not sure what to tell you. If there was a Dem candidate that held those views, or at least was a centrist and was not afraid to tell the far left to F-off, I'd vote for them. They haven't existed for the last several years.

I don't care to fit into a box. Most people that do fit perfectly into either left or right box are nothing more than sheep. Politics will never be a religion to me.
    You and me are pretty close to identical. Lol. Why do we fight so much?

Leave a comment:

• dad4aa
    replied
    Maybe we can take the political bullshit out of the RIP thread and put it where it belongs

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
    I'd argue Trump is better off leaving the seat open and holding over his constituents heads. Might help turnout if people know a SC seat is also on the line.

Mitch will want it filled though. I doubt he actually cares about Trumps reelection, and would much rather trade it for control of the SC for 30 years.
    Responded in the SCOTUS thread.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    RIP

RBG & her friend Scalia are setting up in heaven laughing at us all.
    Rockin' out to some opera, drinking some vino.

Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
    Couldn't the Dems expand the court if Biden wins to account for Garland and RBG? Probably should be time for them to start playing McConnell's chess game.
    Will respond to this on the other side of the site.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    RIP

RBG & her friend Scalia are setting up in heaven laughing at us all.

Leave a comment:

• TorontoGold
    replied
    Couldn't the Dems expand the court if Biden wins to account for Garland and RBG? Probably should be time for them to start playing McConnell's chess game.

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    You talk about politics ..... RGB isnít even in the ground And he just said he is gonna have a vote. Lol. Murkowski says she wonít vote. Fair is fair. I wonder what you all think of that? Should he hold a vote when he held up Garland?

How many GOP will not vote to confirm?

Already Romney and Murkowski a no.
    I will agree that less than 12 hours they were talking about replacements. Just let it be a for a few days. I don't care much for her insight but at least she tried to do what she thought was best in her mind for the country. There is a lot of people in politics in today's world that doesn't want to do anything for the position but get the money.

Leave a comment:

• Bluto
    replied
    Originally posted by 317Irish View Post
    I feel bad for contributing to this. A Supreme Court justice just passed away. The last time this happened was ions ago when the worst thing was a few days later a small group of people screaming conspiracy via a pillow choking death and a (per Cack) 237 day mistreatment of Garland. The country has evolved so much that within 30 minutes we forgot a human life and went to to ďletís see what sneaky Mitch is able to accomplish!Ē This country is not great again folks. I understand the political implications of that statement but fuck no this country isnít great right now.
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• GATTACA!
    replied
    No sir. Mitch creates the rule last election he held up MG for 237 days. We are now at 50 days. If he tries it, and Dems win Senate and POTUS..... Dems should expand the SCOTUS to 11 and admit DC and PR as states.
    11 doesn't make sense. Court would still be 6-5 conservative. They'd have to add 4. Which we all know isn't happening.

Agree about PR though, but don't they have to officially apply for statehood? I know last time it faced a referendum it passed, but that was allegedly because the opposition protested the vote. Who knows maybe opinions have shifted from all the destruction that they've had in recent years.
    Last edited by GATTACA!; 09-19-2020, 04:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GATTACA!
    replied
    You would be surprised if Trump doesnít nominate someone before November 3rd?? He has to... this might shake things up one way or the other but heís projected to lose... and not in the same way that he was in 2016
    I'd argue Trump is better off leaving the seat open and holding over his constituents heads. Might help turnout if people know a SC seat is also on the line.

Mitch will want it filled though. I doubt he actually cares about Trumps reelection, and would much rather trade it for control of the SC for 30 years.

Leave a comment:

• GATTACA!
    replied
    I believe she was asked later in 2015 ish as well.

To be fair, I wouldn't call her selfish. Or at minimum, I think she fully assumed HRC would win in 2016 making it a moot issue anyway. I think she simply felt she had more work to do. I don't agree with her politically, but can't really blame her for not retiring so long as she thought her health did not compromise her ability to work.

If removing politics (which you can't), she should have retired as soon she couldn't carry out her duties, and her health reached a certain point. But that would have been last year some time probably, and wasn't going to happen solely because of the politics.

Just my opinion, and just spit balling... but I think she tried to leave politics out of it in 2008 and 2015 by staying. And then reinserted it fully at the last minute. I'd also bet she would have retired in 2015 had she known HRC would lose, or had she known her health would take a turn. But to be honest, she almost made it to 2020. Tough old bird. Always has been.
    It wouldn't have mattered at that point. She knew there was no way Mitch was letting her seat be filled just like Scalia's. Plus even if she felt HRC was a lock there's no reason not to let it play itself out just in case.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Ur graph proves.... I’m not even really sure what you’re trying to prove. MSM is lopsided, but infinitely more reliable than @realdonaldtrump or whatever it is?
    When was the last time politicians could be trusted more often than not (If ever)? Journalists, on the other hand, used to abide by a loose set of rules and held some integrity. These days there's maybe just a handful of national press entities that actually present unbiased, straight news with verified sources and facts.

Leave a comment:

• 317Irish
    replied
    Not true either. The trust in media has declined steadily since the early 2000s. Gallup poll below. And trust, especially by conservatives has declined, which is no surprise given the leans of media. I've also included 2014 (before Trump) poll figures on bias, which as you see, most clearly believe the media is more an more one sided (again pre-Trump).

Ur graph proves.... I’m not even really sure what you’re trying to prove. MSM is lopsided, but infinitely more reliable than @realdonaldtrump or whatever it is?

Leave a comment:

• Legacy
    replied
    May this Thread RIP.

RBG is with AS tonight, sharing a laugh and talking the intricacies of the law.

A few tributes from Utah politicians:
    Mike Lee:
    “Justice Ginsburg devoted her entire life to reading, interpreting, and understanding the law. To describe her as a gifted lawyer and jurist who had a profound influence on our country is an understatement.”

Mitt Romney:
    “Her fight for women’s equality inspired all women to pursue their dreams without limits, and her grit, character and sharp wit made her an iconic and inspirational jurist beloved by people young and old. The beautiful friendship she shared with the late Justice Scalia serves as a reminder to all Americans to treat each other with kindness and respect, despite our differences.”

Orrin Hatch:
    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a dear friend whose impact extended well beyond the Supreme Court. Of course, it’s no secret that Justice Ginsburg and I were on opposite sides on most issues. But we both loved this country greatly, and that was the kindling of a decades-long friendship. I hope that as an American family, we can one day look beyond politics to see what’s best in each other as Ruth and I did.”

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X