X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
    Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.
    Poor Leon never had a chance. Ali used to chastise him all the time about his lack of intelligence. He once stated that Leon Spinks was “so dumb, after the police took his driver’s license away from him, he walked into a telephone pole”. It was all about smack talk back then & the Louisville Lip was the king of that. RIP to Spinks.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    I watched The Sound Of Music with my 9-year-old this past summer. Plummer was a fine actor. Not particularly common knowledge, but during filming of the movie, he and Charmian Carr who played oldest daughter Liesl, were having an affair. She was playing a 16-year-old and he her 40+ year old dad. In reality she was 22 and he was only 35. Both adults, but odd to be boinking your movie daughter.
    Last edited by Bishop2b5; 02-05-2021, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Just watched him in a Triple Cross the other day. Nice long career. RIP!

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Christopher Plummer, Sound of Music star and oldest actor to win an Oscar, dies aged 91 <a href="https://t.co/OBw83G0ADT">https://t.co/OBw83G0ADT</a></p>&mdash; The Guardian (@guardian) <a href="https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1357751528468197378?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    I grew up listening to the "Oldies," it's all my parents played in the in the car back in the 80s. For the life of me I couldn't think of any of their hits, although the band's name was familiar.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers died at the age of 78. Gerry and the Pacemakers were part of the British Invasion of the 60's. Several big hits including “Ferry Cross the Mersey,” “Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Crying” and “You’ll Never Walk Alone,”

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    Actor Hal Holbrook died at the age of 95. Great actor & husband of the late Dixie Carter..
    I thought he had already passed. He did a ton of movies and TV.

Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
    Never heard of this guy until a few days ago, seemed like a real cool chap:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/4354527001/
    Saw a piece on him right before he turned. Pretty awesome how he stuck with it. RIP Sir Tom.

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post

yeah had an amazing run to be fair, raised 33 mil for the NHS on top of an already remarkable life

Leave a comment:

• NDBoiler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Actor Hal Holbrook died at the age of 95. Great actor & husband of the late Dixie Carter..
    Last edited by Irishize; 02-02-2021, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Popular show with the kids during its run. RIP Screech!

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dustin Diamond, who was best known for playing Screech on Saved by the Bell, died after being diagnosed with cancer. He was 44. <a href="https://t.co/yn7rx81ktF">https://t.co/yn7rx81ktF</a></p>&mdash; BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1356322786420125698?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
    Just saw legendary basketball coach John Chaney dies at the age of 89. Great basketball mind and even better human being. RIP coach Chaney.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...chaney-dies-89
    He had some great Temple teams.

Leave a comment:

• Sherm Sticky
    replied
    Just saw legendary basketball coach John Chaney dies at the age of 89. Great basketball mind and even better human being. RIP coach Chaney.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...chaney-dies-89

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
    Yes, David was a wrestler as well and I knew his parents too (great people). His dad, also a police officer, was our photographer in HS. I have some photos in the attic somewhere that he gave me. They lived in Wanamaker in your neck of the woods. We use to hang out there sometimes during the summer.

David was a year below me and we used to give him crap because it was his hold that called back the winning TD in our sectional loss my senior year. He was our backup tackle at the time not getting too much PT...so we’d mess with him asking who put him in anyways. Lol...all in good fun and he went on to get his ring the following year.
    His mom was also a policeman. I think they're both retired now. I know Spencer has been for a few years. Now that you mentioned it, I remember Spencer taking a lot of wrestling pics. They lived on S. Franklin Road a couple of miles outside of what is considered Wanamaker. They sold that house about a year after David was murdered.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Coached David in the wrestling program at FCMS & FCHS before he transferred. His dad was on the board of our ISWA wrestling program with me.

David was a member of the Indianapolis Police Department. Shot and killed when making a traffic stop. RIP David.
    Yes, David was a wrestler as well and I knew his parents too (great people). His dad, also a police officer, was our photographer in HS. I have some photos in the attic somewhere that he gave me. They lived in Wanamaker in your neck of the woods. We use to hang out there sometimes during the summer.

David was a year below me and we used to give him crap because it was his hold that called back the winning TD in our sectional loss my senior year. He was our backup tackle at the time not getting too much PT...so we’d mess with him asking who put him in anyways. Lol...all in good fun and he went on to get his ring the following year.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
    Actress Cloris Leachman has passed away at the age of 94. She was quite famous to us older people, having won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in the early 70's, starred in several comedy films including Young Frankenstein, and starred on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Interestingly, she was most famous as a comic actress - and was brilliant in this field - but her Oscar was for a very non-comic role.
    Remember her well. One of her more recent performances was as a rich neighbor on Two and A Half Men. RIP Cloris.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.
    Coached David in the wrestling program at FCMS & FCHS before he transferred. His dad was on the board of our ISWA wrestling program with me.

David was a member of the Indianapolis Police Department. Shot and killed when making a traffic stop. RIP David.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Actress Cloris Leachman has passed away at the age of 94. She was quite famous to us older people, having won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in the early 70's, starred in several comedy films including Young Frankenstein, and starred on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Interestingly, she was most famous as a comic actress - and was brilliant in this field - but her Oscar was for a very non-comic role.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend all those years ago. I hope you and his family find peace and healing from this.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    RIP David
    Been on the local news this morning. Kind of gives me a sad. We played next to each other on the Oline in HS - right guard and tackle.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    RIP David

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
    Born Lawrence Harvey Zeiger, Larry King has passed away. Cause appears to be complications from COVID.

A lot is often said about King and his personal life, like his struggles with marriage having married 7 different women 8 times. He was a strong advocate in the fight against heart disease though, and his Larry King Cardiac Foundation pays for cardiac procedures for people who can't afford health insurance.

On a lighter note, I'm reminded that Bob and Tom just released a song to say "Goodbye to 2020" where they listed all the wonderful celebrities we lost in 2020 only to have Larry King survive (They have him "call in" on the show regularly, impressionist). That didn't age well.
    I guess King liked marriage so much he did it eight times.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Lol. I have a couple of Ozzie Canseco rookie cards.
    Don’t want to derail this thread so if you’re interested in discussing PEDs & MLB, pick back up in .https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...Boys+of+summer . I heard a fascinating argument for some players to be forgiven for the use. Anyways..check it out in the https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...Boys+of+summer
    Last edited by Irishize; 01-23-2021, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Born Lawrence Harvey Zeiger, Larry King has passed away. Cause appears to be complications from COVID.

A lot is often said about King and his personal life, like his struggles with marriage having married 7 different women 8 times. He was a strong advocate in the fight against heart disease though, and his Larry King Cardiac Foundation pays for cardiac procedures for people who can't afford health insurance.

On a lighter note, I'm reminded that Bob and Tom just released a song to say "Goodbye to 2020" where they listed all the wonderful celebrities we lost in 2020 only to have Larry King survive (They have him "call in" on the show regularly, impressionist). That didn't age well.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Yes, but not to that level. He had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty & Joe Torre in the mid-to-late 60s. In the 70s, he was likely responsible for some of his teammates having career years HR-wise. Light hitting 2B Davey Johnson actually slugged 40+ HRs on year. In recent times, he’d immediately be under suspicion for PED use. Darrell Evans also benefitted but he was a career power hitter.

Bottom line, he was one of the best all-around hitters of all-time. RIP

SIDE NOTE: imagine being his younger brother Tommie. He played 5 or so years for the Braves but I don’t recall him being a starter & he was nowhere near the hitter. Guess he, Chris Gwynn & Ozzie Canseco have something in common...LOL
    Lol. I have a couple of Ozzie Canseco rookie cards.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Not to be morbid, but I can’t help but think Willie Mays will be joining his fellow HOFers in Heaven soon. For my money, he’s the best all around player of the modern era.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by Legacy View Post
    Aaron's achievements were accomplished mostly when the pitcher's mound was higher (lowered in '69), the strike zone was bigger and did not occur in the steroid or live ball eras.

He had Eddie Matthews in Milwaukee but in later years did he have anyone that forced pitchers not to pitch around him?
    Yes, but not to that level. He had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty & Joe Torre in the mid-to-late 60s. In the 70s, he was likely responsible for some of his teammates having career years HR-wise. Light hitting 2B Davey Johnson actually slugged 40+ HRs on year. In recent times, he’d immediately be under suspicion for PED use. Darrell Evans also benefitted but he was a career power hitter.

Bottom line, he was one of the best all-around hitters of all-time. RIP

SIDE NOTE: imagine being his younger brother Tommie. He played 5 or so years for the Braves but I don’t recall him being a starter & he was nowhere near the hitter. Guess he, Chris Gwynn & Ozzie Canseco have something in common...LOL

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    This one kind of stings a little. Hammering Hank, RIP.

He's so famous for the HR record but that doesn't even begin to explain how good of a hitter he was. The guy could flat out rake. 300+ BA and STILL to this day with PEDs owns the RBI record. Speaks to clutch base hits which is most important. He didn't have that sweet Griffey swing but could sure find the other side of the fence.

RIP Mr. Homerun
    Probably the quickest wrists known to man. I remember him in an interview saying he could go up to the plate and look curveball b/c he knew his wrists were quick enough to react to any fastball. That’s insane. RIP

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    [IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
    RIP to the real home run king
    The two real home run kings are watching over us now.

Time for the MLB to restore Roger Maris' single season record of 61 home runs and Hank Aaron's career record. Cheaters shouldn't be rewarded

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Just heard on the radio that he had received the COVID vaccine about a week earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Aaron was so much more than that HR record. He was the epitome of dignity, class, and decency. Just an all-around great player and even better person.

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    This one kind of stings a little. Hammering Hank, RIP.

He's so famous for the HR record but that doesn't even begin to explain how good of a hitter he was. The guy could flat out rake. 300+ BA and STILL to this day with PEDs owns the RBI record. Speaks to clutch base hits which is most important. He didn't have that sweet Griffey swing but could sure find the other side of the fence.

RIP Mr. Homerun

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    What a legend. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord

Leave a comment:

• NDohio
    replied
    Well darn. RIP.

Leave a comment:

• NDBoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
    THIS

Leave a comment:

• Legacy
    replied
    Aaron's achievements were accomplished mostly when the pitcher's mound was higher (lowered in '69), the strike zone was bigger and did not occur in the steroid or live ball eras.

He had Eddie Matthews in Milwaukee but in later years did he have anyone that forced pitchers not to pitch around him?
    Last edited by Legacy; 01-22-2021, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    Very sad to hear about Hank Aaron. I’m named after the man and I would have loved to have met him and say thank for helping me understand how a man should carry himself.
    Hammering Hank. Played for the Milwaukee Braves before they moved to Atlanta. Believe he hit his record setting HR off of Al Dowling. One of the all-time greats in sports. RIP Henry.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Very sad to hear about Hank Aaron. I’m named after the man and I would have loved to have met him and say thank for helping me understand how a man should carry himself.

Leave a comment:

• Me2SouthBend
    replied
    Covid claims its 1st Polar Bear. RIP "The Polar Bear" Paul Varlens, legend of early UFC Tournaments.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Phil Specter 81 died in prison. Famous record producer. Should have spent a lot more time in prison than he did.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Siegfried Fischbacher, half of the Siegfried & Roy duo, passed away yesterday at the age of 81 from pancreatic cancer. His partner Roy died from Covid complications last year.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Tommy was great for the game of baseball.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    93 years old. That's a long life.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Happy that he was able to watch the Dodgers win the World Series one last time.
    It did seem apropos

He did not look good when he was in public...he had that faraway gaze in his eyes. But he lived a long & eventful life and bled Dodger blue for the majority of that life. Listen to the end.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9rUy9FmzsxY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leave a comment:

• Irish2155
    replied
    Happy that he was able to watch the Dodgers win the World Series one last time.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X