This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...cid=spartanntp

Matt "Guitar" Murphy of The Blues Brothers fame passed away at 88. I always loved his scene with Aretha Franklin where he's thinking of rejoining the band and she tells him that he better think about that decision
    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• I appreciate that many Chicago Blues greats were brought in for "the band."

Hell, they even had Cab Calloway!

Comment

• [IMG]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rT8D_L2bBGQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]
        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Charles Krauthammer, 68, passed away today from cancer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...cid=spartanntp

No surprise, as he's been fighting cancer for some time and announced a few weeks ago that he had been told he only had a few weeks to live. Krauthammer was a major voice in Conservative politics & journalism over the past few decades.
          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Fair minded rarely over the top imo... shame most on either side don’t take his approach
            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• As un-sensational and fair as anyone could be in today's divided click driven media. I didn't agree with him at times, but appreciated his approach.

Comment

• Great journalist. Not any like him anymore.

Comment

• Passed away Monday. Doctors were spot on.

WWE legend Big Van Vader died on June 18 at the age of 63, according to his Twitter account.

Real name Leon White, he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in 2016 with doctors giving him two years to live.

Comment

• For you Wizard of Oz fans.

The Wizard Of Oz's 'oldest Munchkin' Jerry Maren died on May 24 at the age of 98.

The American actor, who starred opposite Judy Garland in the 1939 classic, died after years of suffering from dementia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                      For you Wizard of Oz fans.

The Wizard Of Oz's 'oldest Munchkin' Jerry Maren died on May 24 at the age of 98.

The American actor, who starred opposite Judy Garland in the 1939 classic, died after years of suffering from dementia.

There is an annual Yellow Brick Road Festival in Chesterton, IN.

Awhile back, they had one of the last munchkins make an appearance, and she got hit and killed by a semi getting on the highway immediately afterwards.

Comment

• Former Pantera co-founder and current Hellyeah drummer Vinnie Paul passed away! No details on cause.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/23/enter...ead/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
                          Former Pantera co-founder and current Hellyeah drummer Vinnie Paul passed away! No details on cause.

Pantera was one of my first concerts. Loved that band. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                            [IMG]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rT8D_L2bBGQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]
                            That was slick!

On a side note, the dude playing piano had Nosferatu hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post

Awhile back, they had one of the last munchkins make an appearance, and she got hit and killed by a semi getting on the highway immediately afterwards.
                              Fate

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy3Putt View Post
                                That was slick!

On a side note, the dude playing piano had Nosferatu hands.
                                MGM is a bad, bad man.

And yes, those fingers, and finger nails. He can seriously tap those keys though.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
                                  Former Pantera co-founder and current Hellyeah drummer Vinnie Paul passed away! No details on cause.

Pantera is one of my all time favorite bands. Saw them twice before they broke up. Terrible news.
                                  60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post

Did they change the name? I grew up in Chesterton. It was the Wizard of Oz fest when I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                      Did they change the name? I grew up in Chesterton. It was the Wizard of Oz fest when I was there.
                                      I think it was discontinued a few years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by loomis41973 View Post
                                        I think it was discontinued a few years ago.
                                        Yep. Just googled it. We would go every year when I lived there. I honestly have no idea why they would have a wizard of oz festival in a place that has nothing to do with the wizard of oz.

Comment

• Koko the gorilla, famous for being able to use sign language somewhat fluently, passed away this past week.

Comment

• Made me remember the vid with him and Robin Williams. RIP to both.

Comment

• RIP...

Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                              Yep. Just googled it. We would go every year when I lived there. I honestly have no idea why they would have a wizard of oz festival in a place that has nothing to do with the wizard of oz.

The Region is weird like that:

Valpo- Popcorn Fest
                                              Portage- Elvis Fest
                                              Chesterton- Wizard of Oz Fest
                                              Whiting- Pierogi Fest
                                              Merrillville- Serb Fest
                                              Gary- Murder Fest

*I made one of those up. Crusader can add a few Im sure. But yes, the two that have no history or locational relevance are the Elvis and Wizard one
                                              Last edited by IrishSteelhead; 06-24-2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• I thought Gary was "Come Chicago, get your guns fest". At lease according to one party lol...

Comment

• Richard Harrison - Old Man from Pawn Stars - passed this AM.

Comment

• Joe Jackson, father of Michael, Janet, etc., passed away earlier today from pancreatic cancer at the age of 89.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                      Joe Jackson, father of Michael, Janet, etc., passed away earlier today from pancreatic cancer at the age of 89.
                                                      A man driven to make his children great performers at absolutely any cost.

Whether you hate him and/or loved what he forged, his kids were a huge sense of pride for us Gary kids of the 60's & 70's.

Comment

• https://entertainment.theonion.com/h...ing-1827065015
                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• not nice....

hee hee

Comment

• Caesar's has the odds of Joe yelling at Michael in heaven at 500,000:1

Bodog is at 1,000,000:1

Comment

• Not exactly a famous person, but my father, the reason I consider myself a Notre Dame fan, died recently. It's something I've been needing to get off my chest for, what seems like, the longest time.

I'm probably a youngin' here, born in '91. But I've seen Notre Dame football home, away, and at bowl games. I've been to home and away basketball games. Throughout my entire life, my dad and I always shared a Notre Dame bond. In the late 40s, he and his two brothers were the first generation of his Irish family to be born in America. I'll never forget the stories of Notre Dame he told me. He spoke of greatness. Not just championships, but of an underdog upsetting greats like Oklahoma (which, he listened to on a radio with my grandmother) or UCLA in basketball. I never missed a Notre Dame football game with him. When we lived on the East Coast, if we couldn't order the game on ESPN+, we'd listen to it online, which only happened a handful of times. I remember him telling me of Faust getting destroyed by Johnson, only for Parseghian to comment that "Notre Dame will rise again." I remember, the only time abandoning the Irish, going to my room during the 2006 ND @ MSU game, only to run out, screaming in glee, when Lambert returned an INT for a TD. During my college years, away from home, we stayed in touch during the games. And if I couldn't watch the game live, we agreed to ignore football for the day and have the experience simultaneously. To put this in perspective, we had numerous Saturday's where we spent the entire day watching the sport. So, our interest went beyond ND football. We both liked college football, period.

Recently, my mother and father moved near my maternal grandparents, and I eventually followed suit. My maternal grandfather died late last year. Although I saw him frequently, and I hate to say this, his death didn't tear me apart. I loved him, yes. No doubt about it, but he was my grandfather. He didn't exactly define anything I do in life. Having said that, he's a graduate of the University of Michigan, and was a huge Wolverine. My father and I never watched football with him, even though we both knew he watched Michigan every Saturday. In fact, my father and I both hold the controversial opinion that Notre Dame should schedule Michigan State over Michigan on a yearly basis, but I digress. Having said that, with the Michigan v Notre Dame game looming overhead, my view has shifted drastically. My mother has, foolishly, agreed to watch the game with me. She knows that I haven't been able to do anything Notre Dame related since the death of my father. Any time I watch or read anything related to Notre Dame football, I can't help myself and I begin to cry. I can only imagine how difficult the position I've put her in. Unlike my father, a Catholic who, at the end of the day, would eventually wish for the Catholic team to win, my mother is a Protestant who doesn't agree with the Catholic Church in any regard. I'm not religious, so that doesn't bother me, but, for some reason, even she agrees to be Irish for just one day in September.

Sorry to spam the thread with, admittedly, irrelevant deaths, but this is the only place I thought of to post this. Years, maybe even a decade, ago, I was a member of a site called NotreDameFans.com (was that it? I just remember that markmaysucks.com would redirect to the homepage) and posted on the forums there. I never migrated anywhere. Go Irish!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheIrishAre#1 View Post
                                                                Not exactly a famous person, but my father, the reason I consider myself a Notre Dame fan, died recently. It's something I've been needing to get off my chest for, what seems like, the longest time.

I'm probably a youngin' here, born in '91. But I've seen Notre Dame football home, away, and at bowl games. I've been to home and away basketball games. Throughout my entire life, my dad and I always shared a Notre Dame bond. In the late 40s, he and his two brothers were the first generation of his Irish family to be born in America. I'll never forget the stories of Notre Dame he told me. He spoke of greatness. Not just championships, but of an underdog upsetting greats like Oklahoma (which, he listened to on a radio with my grandmother) or UCLA in basketball. I never missed a Notre Dame football game with him. When we lived on the East Coast, if we couldn't order the game on ESPN+, we'd listen to it online, which only happened a handful of times. I remember him telling me of Faust getting destroyed by Johnson, only for Parseghian to comment that "Notre Dame will rise again." I remember, the only time abandoning the Irish, going to my room during the 2006 ND @ MSU game, only to run out, screaming in glee, when Lambert returned an INT for a TD. During my college years, away from home, we stayed in touch during the games. And if I couldn't watch the game live, we agreed to ignore football for the day and have the experience simultaneously. To put this in perspective, we had numerous Saturday's where we spent the entire day watching the sport. So, our interest went beyond ND football. We both liked college football, period.

Recently, my mother and father moved near my maternal grandparents, and I eventually followed suit. My maternal grandfather died late last year. Although I saw him frequently, and I hate to say this, his death didn't tear me apart. I loved him, yes. No doubt about it, but he was my grandfather. He didn't exactly define anything I do in life. Having said that, he's a graduate of the University of Michigan, and was a huge Wolverine. My father and I never watched football with him, even though we both knew he watched Michigan every Saturday. In fact, my father and I both hold the controversial opinion that Notre Dame should schedule Michigan State over Michigan on a yearly basis, but I digress. Having said that, with the Michigan v Notre Dame game looming overhead, my view has shifted drastically. My mother has, foolishly, agreed to watch the game with me. She knows that I haven't been able to do anything Notre Dame related since the death of my father. Any time I watch or read anything related to Notre Dame football, I can't help myself and I begin to cry. I can only imagine how difficult the position I've put her in. Unlike my father, a Catholic who, at the end of the day, would eventually wish for the Catholic team to win, my mother is a Protestant who doesn't agree with the Catholic Church in any regard. I'm not religious, so that doesn't bother me, but, for some reason, even she agrees to be Irish for just one day in September.

Sorry to spam the thread with, admittedly, irrelevant deaths, but this is the only place I thought of to post this. Years, maybe even a decade, ago, I was a member of a site called NotreDameFans.com (was that it? I just remember that markmaysucks.com would redirect to the homepage) and posted on the forums there. I never migrated anywhere. Go Irish!
                                                                May your father RIP.

Great 1st post. Stick around, post more.

I too am a '91er so have no fear of the old grumpy men around here. Luckily, many of the posters here are younger too.

Take some reps, some V Bucks and stay away from the political threads!
                                                                "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

Not exactly a famous person, but my father, the reason I consider myself a Notre Dame fan, died recently. It's something I've been needing to get off my chest for, what seems like, the longest time.

One of my earliest memories of ND football was watching Terry Brennan get carried off the field by his boys after that 7-0 win over OU. I remember asking my dad why the players did that. Seven years later I lost my dad ... it's been 54 years and those years haven't made it any less painful to talk about. Thanks for sharing your memories and your pain.
                                                                  GO IRISH!

Comment

My father died recently as well, and our stories are eerily similar. Prayers sent your way, I hope you and your family find peace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingbish01 View Post
                                                                      My father died recently as well, and our stories are eerily similar. Prayers sent your way, I hope you and your family find peace.
                                                                      Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                      One of my earliest memories of ND football was watching Terry Brennan get carried off the field by his boys after that 7-0 win over OU. I remember asking my dad why the players did that. Seven years later I lost my dad ... it's been 54 years and those years haven't made it any less painful to talk about. Thanks for sharing your memories and your pain.
                                                                      GO IRISH!
                                                                      Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
                                                                      May your father RIP.

Great 1st post. Stick around, post more.

I too am a '91er so have no fear of the old grumpy men around here. Luckily, many of the posters here are younger too.

Take some reps, some V Bucks and stay away from the political threads!
                                                                      These posts mean more than you can imagine. My father and I have both thought that Brian Kelly is an average coach, at best. But, regardless of that, we both also believe, every year, that this is the year. Regardless of the coach, I believe we will win out. My faith, much like his, will never die out. Like every season, I believe this is the season. Go Irish!

Also, in terms of Notre Dame basketball, if anyone has more information, even if just the box score, of Chris Quinn's Irish leading the upset against UConn in overtime, please share it. From what I remember, Chris Quinn was our PG and our leader, and we were gigantic underdogs. I want to say UConn was #1, but if that were actually the case, I could probably find video highlights easier. I remember listening to the game on radio with my father, and, at some point, it was mentioned that ESPNews would carry one of the OTs, and we pulled off the upset. In black jerseys. Being a basketball player, rather than a football player, this game meant quite a bit to me.

Edit: I'm also sorry for derailing the thread. I understand that it should be kept on topic.

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                      GO IRISH!
                                                                      Also, I just want to say that this post is more powerful than you could possibly imagine. I wish my father was able to watch what you watched. It must have been magical. GO IRISH!
                                                                      Last edited by TheIrishAre#1; 06-28-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Ed Schultz, former Fargo radio personality, has died

I didn't agree with him politically much but RIP Ed.
                                                                        Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

• Dang, wasn't he having heart problems? Definitely gone too soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                                            Dang, wasn't he having heart problems? Definitely gone too soon.
                                                                            Dead from fall at home. How ironic.

Comment

• 63 years old...

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
                                                                                63 years young...
                                                                                FIFY. RIP Anvil.

Comment

• Didn't see it mentioned but Nikolai Volkoff died a couple of weeks ago and Vader back in June. I'm sure there were others that I can't remember. It's really a shame.

Comment

• NHL HoF Chicago Blackhawk Stan Makita died August 7.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The queen of soul: Aretha Franklin - a life in pictures <a href="https://t.co/icNy2uMbvN">https://t.co/icNy2uMbvN</a></p>&mdash; The Guardian (@guardian) <a href="https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1030094540319977472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 16, 2018</a></blockquote>
                                                                                      <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                      What did Davonte do?

Comment

• So sad. I grew up listening to her. Not sure we'll ever see anyone quite like here again. Loved her in the Blues Brothers.

RIP Queen of Soul and thank you for all of the great memories.

Comment

• Legend, she will be missed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vet6AHmq3_s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She also holds the record for the longest National Anthem
                                                                                          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uK-98qufVhI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comments are gold

Comment

• Insanely talented musician, she will be missed.

Comment

• Was so sad to hear she had fallen sick and has now passed. Such an iconic artist with unique talent. Sad day! RIP!

Comment

• Can rarely think of her without thinking of Otis Redding, who is one of my absolute favs... bummer. That era of music was the absolute pinnacle and we are losing them more and more every year.

Comment

• I guess everyone's known this was coming for the last few days or weeks. Apparently she's been fighting cancer for some time. Aretha just had a wicked set of pipes on her and was born to sing. She could sing a telephone book and make it sound good. Like ACamp, I can't think of her without thinking of Otis too. Both had that raw gospel sound and HUGE stage presence. What a voice Aretha had. We lost a true music legend today.

Comment

• you folks that enjoy Otis Redding check out Michael Kiwanuka.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XD19Xbg4BeI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X