Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rennan-dead-37

    Unfortunately this that out come for a lot people that choose to use.
    Sad he tried to get checked into rehab and no beds were available. RIP

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

      Some don't choose to use. Unless every decision boils down to personal choice, freedom and responsibility in your life philosophy.
      Unfortunately when you make the decision to use for the first time you choose the possibility of addiction. It happens to a lot of people. Fentanyl is terrible but people continue to buy drugs that a potentially laced with it.

      And before anyone says anything about me not knowing first hand my wife’s cousin died just yesterday of an overdose. After his first overdose he never took it serious. I feel terrible for his parents because no parent should ever have to bury their kid.

      I also know that my best friends nephew started using and they sent him to rehab 3 times before it finally helped. They said his worse problem was he would come right back to the area he was from and would get reconnected with the same people. But I told him if there’s a will there’s away. It’s unfortunate for everyone.
      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

      Comment


      • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

        Unfortunately when you make the decision to use for the first time you choose the possibility of addiction. It happens to a lot of people. Fentanyl is terrible but people continue to buy drugs that a potentially laced with it.

        And before anyone says anything about me not knowing first hand my wife’s cousin died just yesterday of an overdose. After his first overdose he never took it serious. I feel terrible for his parents because no parent should ever have to bury their kid.

        I also know that my best friends nephew started using and they sent him to rehab 3 times before it finally helped. They said his worse problem was he would come right back to the area he was from and would get reconnected with the same people. But I told him if there’s a will there’s away. It’s unfortunate for everyone.
        I disagree with a great amount of your underlying presuppositions on how life works but let's leave that aside. RIP Colt

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

          I disagree with a great amount of your underlying presuppositions on how life works but let's leave that aside. RIP Colt
          That’s cool man. You have your thoughts and opinions and I have mine. It’s part of life.
          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

          Comment


          • Charles Grodin passed at the age of 86. Starred in ‘Beethoven’ and ‘Heartbreak Kid,’ along with a lot of movies. Usually played a deadpan pitiful character.

            Comment


            • Midnight Run,... such a good movie
              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

              Comment


              • Actor Gavin MacLeod passed away today at the age of 90. He was on McHale's Navy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but was probably best known as Captain Stubing on The Love Boat.
                Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                  Actor Gavin MacLeod passed away today at the age of 90. He was on McHale's Navy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but was probably best known as Captain Stubing on The Love Boat.
                  Was in a lot of movies as a secondary before landing the TV gigs.

                  Comment


                  • Former Utah Jazz center Mark Eaton died after a bicycle crash. Still holds the record for average blocks per game. Dan Patrick said along with Shaq, Eaton was one of the largest people he's ever met.

                    Comment


                    • Former "Mod Squad" actor Clarence Williams III died from colon cancer at the age of 81.

                      https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/06/us/cl...bit/index.html

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                        Former "Mod Squad" actor Clarence Williams III died from colon cancer at the age of 81.

                        https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/06/us/cl...bit/index.html
                        RIP to Francis L. Him and The Kid playing some Computer Blue up in the Big First Avenue in the sky.

                        What does the piano part remind you old timers of?

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5XSw6YhuI

                        Comment


                        • Also, happy 104th to my guy!



                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

                            RIP to Francis L. Him and The Kid playing some Computer Blue up in the Big First Avenue in the sky.

                            What does the piano part remind you old timers of?

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5XSw6YhuI
                            You got me.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                              You got me.
                              Seems like Prince lifted a few bars from the MASH theme song.

                              Thank you for taking over the Lead Old Guy spot until the ET's return OMM after they finish probing him.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

                                Seems like Prince lifted a few bars from the MASH theme song.

                                Thank you for taking over the Lead Old Guy spot until the ET's return OMM after they finish probing him.
                                Went back and listened to it and there are a couple of places where you hear it.

                                Comment


                                • Former NY Giants HC Jim Fassel passed away, only 71. Rushed to a Las Vegas hospital complaining about chest pains. Got the Giants to the SB.

                                  Comment


                                  • Donald Rumsfeld former Secretary of Defense passed away at the age of 88. Served under Ford and George W.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by texbender View Post

                                      You're right, It was Pitino and Delray Brooks. Will never forget how the Hoosiers totally frustrated the Runnin' Rebs, and went on to win it all on the following Monday night.
                                      Yeah, it was '73 in the Checkerdome in St. Louis. Coach was Gavitt, and Ernie D and Marvin were both Providence kids, from different sides of town. But they made music together.

                                      Providence had Memphis (Larry Finch, Larry Kenon, Big Cat Robinson) on the ropes and then Marvin went down from a bad ankle

                                      The other semi that Saturday (that was the first year of the Saturday-Monday format) was UCLA beating IU.

                                      then on Monday night Bill Walton put on the greatest clinic of playing on the low block that these eyes have ever witnessed. It's 5.5 minutes on youtube check it out.

                                      I would be remiss if I did not mention that Pitino's team's lead guard was a cop's kid from New York named Billy Donovan.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post

                                        Yeah, it was '73 in the Checkerdome in St. Louis. Coach was Gavitt, and Ernie D and Marvin were both Providence kids, from different sides of town. But they made music together.

                                        Providence had Memphis (Larry Finch, Larry Kenon, Big Cat Robinson) on the ropes and then Marvin went down from a bad ankle

                                        The other semi that Saturday (that was the first year of the Saturday-Monday format) was UCLA beating IU.

                                        then on Monday night Bill Walton put on the greatest clinic of playing on the low block that these eyes have ever witnessed. It's 5.5 minutes on youtube check it out.

                                        I would be remiss if I did not mention that Pitino's team's lead guard was a cop's kid from New York named Billy Donovan.
                                        That all could've been very different had...

                                        A. Undefeated (and '74 National Champs) NC State been allowed to play in the tourney or...

                                        B. The refs don't foul out IU center Steve Downing on the infamous phantom call w/ 5 min remaining w/ IU down 2. Downing scored 26 points vs Walton who finished with 14. UCLA goes on a run w/ Downing on the bench and wins by 11. (South Bend St. Joe alums John Laskowski and Tom Abernathy were on that team and btw) or...

                                        C. George McGinnis doesn't leave IU for the ABA after leading the Big 10 w/ 30 & 15. He and Downing were best friends from Indpls Washington HS. They would've been unstoppable.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

                                          That all could've been very different had...

                                          A. Undefeated (and '74 National Champs) NC State been allowed to play in the tourney or...

                                          B. The refs don't foul out IU center Steve Downing on the infamous phantom call w/ 5 min remaining w/ IU down 2. Downing scored 26 points vs Walton who finished with 14. UCLA goes on a run w/ Downing on the bench and wins by 11. (South Bend St. Joe alums John Laskowski and Tom Abernathy were on that team and btw) or...

                                          C. George McGinnis doesn't leave IU for the ABA after leading the Big 10 w/ 30 & 15. He and Downing were best friends from Indpls Washington HS. They would've been unstoppable.
                                          I'm not sure.

                                          Moe Rivers and Phil spence had not yet arrived to play at NC State in '73.

                                          And if the eye test means anything, the second best team on the COURT that Saturday afternoon was Providence, IU and Memphis tied for third.

                                          What is interesting, as you no doubt know.

                                          By the name of John Molodet.!!!!

                                          Trgovich was there in the Checkerdome, and you suggest that Stoddard could/should have been

                                          And in '75 ULYSSES Bridgeman (I prefer it to Junior) was in the Final Four with Cox and Allen Murphy for Louisville.

                                          Ergo, was East Chicago Washington the ONLY state high school champion EVER to have its Entire Front LIne play in the Final Four (albeit for different teams)???

                                          And hers is a shoutout to those wondrous guards

                                          Darnell Adell and Ruben Bailey.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post

                                            I'm not sure.

                                            Moe Rivers and Phil spence had not yet arrived to play at NC State in '73.

                                            And if the eye test means anything, the second best team on the COURT that Saturday afternoon was Providence, IU and Memphis tied for third.

                                            What is interesting, as you no doubt know.

                                            By the name of John Molodet.!!!!

                                            Trgovich was there in the Checkerdome, and you suggest that Stoddard could/should have been

                                            And in '75 ULYSSES Bridgeman (I prefer it to Junior) was in the Final Four with Cox and Allen Murphy for Louisville.

                                            Ergo, was East Chicago Washington the ONLY state high school champion EVER to have its Entire Front LIne play in the Final Four (albeit for different teams)???

                                            And hers is a shoutout to those wondrous guards

                                            Darnell Adell and Ruben Bailey.
                                            I used to go to a lot of ECW and ECR games when those 3 were there. My Dad was a union official in East Chicago and a basketball junkie. Pete T was the guy who I tried to model my game after when I started playing.

                                            As far as teammates that played in the Final Four, not sure they're still the only ones with all of the Basketball Factory / Prep Schools nowadays. A close one in my era was the Baltimore Dunbar teams of the early 80's had Reggie Williams and David Wingate of GU, Reggie Lewis of Northeastern, Mugsy Bogues of WF and Mike Brown who was committed to GU but ended up at Syracuse then Clemson. They didn't lose a game in two years in the DMV.

                                            Comment


                                            • Phantom call for sure. I saw McGinnis and Downing play several times in 69 when they won it. They beat my Warriors by 35 during the regular season. They meet again in the Regional Finals. Hinkle was packed and loud and it hadn’t even started. We’re excited because this time we have our other 6’9” player back in the lineup. This time it will be different. 35-0 before Warren scores. Even the Washington fans stood and cheered when we finally scored. Lol

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                Phantom call for sure. I saw McGinnis and Downing play several times in 69 when they won it. They beat my Warriors by 35 during the regular season. They meet again in the Regional Finals. Hinkle was packed and loud and it hadn’t even started. We’re excited because this time we have our other 6’9” player back in the lineup. This time it will be different. 35-0 before Warren scores. Even the Washington fans stood and cheered when we finally scored. Lol
                                                35-0? Ouch! We blanked a couple of county schools through the first quarter but New Prairie and North Judson ain’t Warren Central. Would’ve loved to play in Hinkle when they played long ways during. By the time I played there in college they remodeled it and were playing sideways with the windows blocked off.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

                                                  35-0? Ouch! We blanked a couple of county schools through the first quarter but New Prairie and North Judson ain’t Warren Central. Would’ve loved to play in Hinkle when they played long ways during. By the time I played there in college they remodeled it and were playing sideways with the windows blocked off.
                                                  As much credit as Big Mac and Downing rightfully deserved, it was the guards Wayne Pack and Louie Day that set the tone in that game. Two man press from the get go. They stripped and stole the ball like they were taking candy from a baby. If we did manage to get it across the 10 sec line and tried to go inside to Sykes or Toffolo, Downing just reached through with his long arms and knocked the pass away. The best HS team ever in Indiana IMO. ECW with Bridgeman and Trgovich fall a little short IMO.

                                                  I just realized this is the RIP thread. How did we get started on BBall?

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                                                    As much credit as Big Mac and Downing rightfully deserved, it was the guards Wayne Pack and Louie Day that set the tone in that game. Two man press from the get go. They stripped and stole the ball like they were taking candy from a baby. If we did manage to get it across the 10 sec line and tried to go inside to Sykes or Toffolo, Downing just reached through with his long arms and knocked the pass away. The best HS team ever in Indiana IMO. ECW with Bridgeman and Trgovich fall a little short IMO.

                                                    I just realized this is the RIP thread. How did we get started on BBall?
                                                    I believe it started with the passing of Daryl Thomas. But has it not we would never have has the story of Bobby Mac as a little nipper watching ECW. That, right there is the stuff dreams are made of.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Well fuck Biz Markie died today loved old school rap RIP
                                                      Last edited by brick4956; 07-17-2021, 04:47 PM.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Former Stanford and 49'ers TE Greg Clark passed unexpectedly at the age of 49.

                                                        Clark took the field for the 49ers from the 1997-2000 seasons, catching 92 passes for 909 yards and four touchdowns. He was used primarily as a blocking tight end, and the 49ers notably finished sixth or higher in the NFL in scoring three of his four campaigns.

                                                        He missed the entire 2001 season with hamstring injuries before being waived the following year.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dies at 72 (aol.com)

                                                          ZZ Top bassist and co-founder Dusty Hill was found dead this morning, apparently passing away in his sleep overnight.
                                                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                            ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dies at 72 (aol.com)

                                                            ZZ Top bassist and co-founder Dusty Hill was found dead this morning, apparently passing away in his sleep overnight.
                                                            Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers. RIP Dusty.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                                                              Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers. RIP Dusty.
                                                              I think the 2nd concert I ever went to, sometime in late '75 or early '76 was ZZ when they still had the live bison and vulture on stage and were still opening with Thunderbird. Wild times.
                                                              Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dies at 72 (aol.com)

                                                                ZZ Top bassist and co-founder Dusty Hill was found dead this morning, apparently passing away in his sleep overnight.
                                                                Just logged in so this was news to me.

                                                                So sad and way too young. My daughter had tickets to see them in NY state last year and unfortunately, that was cancelled. Individually, they are irreplaceable to the band. All the best to Frank and Billy... cultural icons.

                                                                Cheers and Go Irish!!

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Since it wasn't mentioned, Joey Jordison, former drummer of Slipknot, apparently died at 46 yesterday.
                                                                  It's Just a Ride.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by Greenore View Post

                                                                    Just logged in so this was news to me.

                                                                    So sad and way too young. My daughter had tickets to see them in NY state last year and unfortunately, that was cancelled. Individually, they are irreplaceable to the band. All the best to Frank and Billy... cultural icons.

                                                                    Cheers and Go Irish!!
                                                                    Cultural icons is a great way to put it. Pretty sure I still have my Tres Hombres album.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Former Astro's pitching great J. R. Richard has passed away. Dude could bring the heat. Held the Astros season record for strikeouts for about 30+ years until Cole broke it in 2019. Career cut short by a stroke in 1980. RIP J.R.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                        Former Astro's pitching great J. R. Richard has passed away. Dude could bring the heat. Held the Astros season record for strikeouts for about 30+ years until Cole broke it in 2019. Career cut short by a stroke in 1980. RIP J.R.
                                                                        1980 was the last year I collected cards. Stros had a great staff that year Unfortunately it was the only year Ryan and Richards were teammates. Ryan became the first $1 million man in team sports that year.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Lived 51 years after having a stroke. Gotta be some kind of record.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

                                                                            1980 was the last year I collected cards. Stros had a great staff that year Unfortunately it was the only year Ryan and Richards were teammates. Ryan became the first $1 million man in team sports that year.
                                                                            IIRC, Richard started the ASG but wasn’t designated w/ the AS label on his 1981 Topps card. Went to Jim Bibby instead. Anyways, James Rodney Richard was on the fast track to a HOF career before tragedy struck. RIP

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                My grandpa’s favorite coach. Big FSU fan being from Thomasville, GA…Charlie Ward’s hometown. He was talking about Ward way before he stepped foot on FSU’s campus. Used to go to his HS games in all sports.

                                                                                RIP coach. We won’t hold ND’s ‘93 rob job against you.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Still remember his classic line when he would be asked about his players every time one got into trouble, “Awe there just good kids”.

                                                                                  RIP coach

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Bowden had long dreamed of being the head coach at Bama. In early '87 it looked like a done deal for him to replace the recently departed Ray Perkins. He went to a meeting with the powers that be thinking he was to be offered the job, but instead it was an interview... and he didn't get the job. I've always wondered what would've/could've been.
                                                                                    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • First Coach Bowden, then the ACC. Another piece of the 1990s chipped away.

                                                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Actress Markie Post passed away on Saturday after a long battle with cancer. She was 70 years of age and best remembered as Christine on “Night Court”. Best female mullet of her time. RIP

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                                          Actress Markie Post passed away on Saturday after a long battle with cancer. She was 70 years of age and best remembered as Christine on “Night Court”. Best female mullet of her time. RIP
                                                                                          What a great show. I was just a kid so you watch what your parents watched, right? My dad loved Night Court. Dan Fielding, Bull and Roz were great characters.
                                                                                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                                            Actress Markie Post passed away on Saturday after a long battle with cancer. She was 70 years of age and best remembered as Christine on “Night Court”. Best female mullet of her time. RIP
                                                                                            Night Court was a pretty good show and Markie being hot didn't hurt it. RIP Markie.

                                                                                            Her first on-screen credit came by way of appearances in 1970s shows like "CHiPs," "Barnaby Jones," "The Incredible Hulk," "The Lazarus Syndrome," "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" and "Hart to Hart."

                                                                                            From there, her career in TV kicked into high gear with appearances on more high-profile shows like "The Love Boat," "Cheers," "Fantasy Island" and "The A-Team" in the 1980s before getting her breakout role of bail bondswoman Terri Michaels in the TV series "The Fall Guy." The outlet reports she appeared in 65 episodes of the action drama between 1982 and 1985.

                                                                                            From 1985 to 1992, she appeared as public defender Christine Sullivan for 159 episodes of the comedy "Night Court."

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts passed away earlier today at the age of 80.
                                                                                              Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                                Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts passed away earlier today at the age of 80.
                                                                                                Wow, that is a shocker. Always liked Charlie and Bill Wyman as they seemed so different than Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Much more subdued.

                                                                                                I think Charlie was the oldest of the group but I can't believe that Keith outlived him!

                                                                                                Cheers and Go Irish!!

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by Greenore View Post

                                                                                                  Wow, that is a shocker. Always liked Charlie and Bill Wyman as they seemed so different than Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Much more subdued.

                                                                                                  I think Charlie was the oldest of the group but I can't believe that Keith outlived him!

                                                                                                  Cheers and Go Irish!!
                                                                                                  Wyman is 83 I believe.

                                                                                                  There are only two founding members left. Jones and Watts are dead and Wyman retired.

                                                                                                  Ronnie Wood replaced Mick Taylor, who replaced Brian Jones.

                                                                                                  The Rolling Stones are basically Kiss and The Beach Boys now.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Sea Turtle; 08-24-2021, 03:57 PM.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                                    Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts passed away earlier today at the age of 80.
                                                                                                    It’s out of print and I haven’t been able to find it on iTunes but his jazz album is phenomenal. He recorded it with an ensemble in the mid-to-late-90s. Can’t remember name of guy who did vocals but it’s one of the smoothest albums I owned back in the day.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                                      Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts passed away earlier today at the age of 80.
                                                                                                      I just saw this, dang - Charlie Watts was a great drummer. Hard to find another drummer that played at such massive gigs for as long as he did. He hated playing 'over the top' on 2 and 4 and eventually just stopped doing it. Ringo has outlasted him, but Charlie did more gigs at the highest levels for a lot longer.

                                                                                                      Originally posted by Greenore View Post

                                                                                                      ....Always liked Charlie and Bill Wyman as they seemed so different than Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Much more subdued.

                                                                                                      I think Charlie was the oldest of the group but I can't believe that Keith outlived him.....
                                                                                                      He didn't want any fame at all, and avoided any type of publicity or recognition for that matter. He reluctantly accepted recognition from his peers (thru the persistence of his peers). However, make no mistake, dude used to f**k it up back in the day (shockingly, much like Keith did/does).

                                                                                                      Originally posted by Irishize View Post

                                                                                                      It’s out of print and I haven’t been able to find it on iTunes but his jazz album is phenomenal. He recorded it with an ensemble in the mid-to-late-90s. Can’t remember name of guy who did vocals but it’s one of the smoothest albums I owned back in the day.
                                                                                                      He was a superb jazz drummer, I think that jazz better suited his style. As I said previously he was not a fan of playing that 'over the top on the backbeat (on 2 and 4)' that is so closely associated with rock drumming.
                                                                                                      YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
                                                                                                      Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X