Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Born Lawrence Harvey Zeiger, Larry King has passed away. Cause appears to be complications from COVID.

    A lot is often said about King and his personal life, like his struggles with marriage having married 7 different women 8 times. He was a strong advocate in the fight against heart disease though, and his Larry King Cardiac Foundation pays for cardiac procedures for people who can't afford health insurance.

    On a lighter note, I'm reminded that Bob and Tom just released a song to say "Goodbye to 2020" where they listed all the wonderful celebrities we lost in 2020 only to have Larry King survive (They have him "call in" on the show regularly, impressionist). That didn't age well.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
      Lol. I have a couple of Ozzie Canseco rookie cards.
      Don’t want to derail this thread so if you’re interested in discussing PEDs & MLB, pick back up in .https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...Boys+of+summer . I heard a fascinating argument for some players to be forgiven for the use. Anyways..check it out in the https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...Boys+of+summer
      Last edited by Irishize; 01-23-2021, 04:21 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
        Born Lawrence Harvey Zeiger, Larry King has passed away. Cause appears to be complications from COVID.

        A lot is often said about King and his personal life, like his struggles with marriage having married 7 different women 8 times. He was a strong advocate in the fight against heart disease though, and his Larry King Cardiac Foundation pays for cardiac procedures for people who can't afford health insurance.

        On a lighter note, I'm reminded that Bob and Tom just released a song to say "Goodbye to 2020" where they listed all the wonderful celebrities we lost in 2020 only to have Larry King survive (They have him "call in" on the show regularly, impressionist). That didn't age well.
        I guess King liked marriage so much he did it eight times.

        Comment


        • Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
            Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.
            RIP David

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
              RIP David
              Been on the local news this morning. Kind of gives me a sad. We played next to each other on the Oline in HS - right guard and tackle.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.
                Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend all those years ago. I hope you and his family find peace and healing from this.
                Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                Comment


                • Actress Cloris Leachman has passed away at the age of 94. She was quite famous to us older people, having won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in the early 70's, starred in several comedy films including Young Frankenstein, and starred on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Interestingly, she was most famous as a comic actress - and was brilliant in this field - but her Oscar was for a very non-comic role.
                  Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                    Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.
                    Coached David in the wrestling program at FCMS & FCHS before he transferred. His dad was on the board of our ISWA wrestling program with me.

                    David was a member of the Indianapolis Police Department. Shot and killed when making a traffic stop. RIP David.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                      Actress Cloris Leachman has passed away at the age of 94. She was quite famous to us older people, having won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in the early 70's, starred in several comedy films including Young Frankenstein, and starred on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Interestingly, she was most famous as a comic actress - and was brilliant in this field - but her Oscar was for a very non-comic role.
                      Remember her well. One of her more recent performances was as a rich neighbor on Two and A Half Men. RIP Cloris.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                        Coached David in the wrestling program at FCMS & FCHS before he transferred. His dad was on the board of our ISWA wrestling program with me.

                        David was a member of the Indianapolis Police Department. Shot and killed when making a traffic stop. RIP David.
                        Yes, David was a wrestler as well and I knew his parents too (great people). His dad, also a police officer, was our photographer in HS. I have some photos in the attic somewhere that he gave me. They lived in Wanamaker in your neck of the woods. We use to hang out there sometimes during the summer.

                        David was a year below me and we used to give him crap because it was his hold that called back the winning TD in our sectional loss my senior year. He was our backup tackle at the time not getting too much PT...so we’d mess with him asking who put him in anyways. Lol...all in good fun and he went on to get his ring the following year.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                          Yes, David was a wrestler as well and I knew his parents too (great people). His dad, also a police officer, was our photographer in HS. I have some photos in the attic somewhere that he gave me. They lived in Wanamaker in your neck of the woods. We use to hang out there sometimes during the summer.

                          David was a year below me and we used to give him crap because it was his hold that called back the winning TD in our sectional loss my senior year. He was our backup tackle at the time not getting too much PT...so we’d mess with him asking who put him in anyways. Lol...all in good fun and he went on to get his ring the following year.
                          His mom was also a policeman. I think they're both retired now. I know Spencer has been for a few years. Now that you mentioned it, I remember Spencer taking a lot of wrestling pics. They lived on S. Franklin Road a couple of miles outside of what is considered Wanamaker. They sold that house about a year after David was murdered.

                          Comment


                          • Just saw legendary basketball coach John Chaney dies at the age of 89. Great basketball mind and even better human being. RIP coach Chaney.

                            https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...chaney-dies-89

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                              Just saw legendary basketball coach John Chaney dies at the age of 89. Great basketball mind and even better human being. RIP coach Chaney.

                              https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...chaney-dies-89
                              He had some great Temple teams.

                              Comment


                              • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dustin Diamond, who was best known for playing Screech on Saved by the Bell, died after being diagnosed with cancer. He was 44. <a href="https://t.co/yn7rx81ktF">https://t.co/yn7rx81ktF</a></p>&mdash; BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1356322786420125698?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                What did Davonte do?

                                Comment


                                • Popular show with the kids during its run. RIP Screech!

                                  Comment


                                  • Actor Hal Holbrook died at the age of 95. Great actor & husband of the late Dixie Carter..
                                    Last edited by Irishize; 02-02-2021, 10:17 AM.

                                    Comment


                                    • Never heard of this guy until a few days ago, seemed like a real cool chap:

                                      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/4354527001/
                                      I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                                        Never heard of this guy until a few days ago, seemed like a real cool chap:

                                        https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/4354527001/
                                        yeah had an amazing run to be fair, raised 33 mil for the NHS on top of an already remarkable life
                                        What did Davonte do?

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                          Actor Hal Holbrook died at the age of 95. Great actor & husband of the late Dixie Carter..
                                          I thought he had already passed. He did a ton of movies and TV.

                                          Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                                          Never heard of this guy until a few days ago, seemed like a real cool chap:

                                          https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/4354527001/
                                          Saw a piece on him right before he turned. Pretty awesome how he stuck with it. RIP Sir Tom.

                                          Comment


                                          • Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers died at the age of 78. Gerry and the Pacemakers were part of the British Invasion of the 60's. Several big hits including “Ferry Cross the Mersey,” “Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Crying” and “You’ll Never Walk Alone,”

                                            Comment


                                            • I grew up listening to the "Oldies," it's all my parents played in the in the car back in the 80s. For the life of me I couldn't think of any of their hits, although the band's name was familiar.

                                              Comment


                                              • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Christopher Plummer, Sound of Music star and oldest actor to win an Oscar, dies aged 91 <a href="https://t.co/OBw83G0ADT">https://t.co/OBw83G0ADT</a></p>&mdash; The Guardian (@guardian) <a href="https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1357751528468197378?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                What did Davonte do?

                                                Comment


                                                • Just watched him in a Triple Cross the other day. Nice long career. RIP!

                                                  Comment


                                                  • I watched The Sound Of Music with my 9-year-old this past summer. Plummer was a fine actor. Not particularly common knowledge, but during filming of the movie, he and Charmian Carr who played oldest daughter Liesl, were having an affair. She was playing a 16-year-old and he her 40+ year old dad. In reality she was 22 and he was only 35. Both adults, but odd to be boinking your movie daughter.
                                                    Last edited by Bishop2b5; 02-05-2021, 03:21 PM.
                                                    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.
                                                      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                        Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.
                                                        Poor Leon never had a chance. Ali used to chastise him all the time about his lack of intelligence. He once stated that Leon Spinks was “so dumb, after the police took his driver’s license away from him, he walked into a telephone pole”. It was all about smack talk back then & the Louisville Lip was the king of that. RIP to Spinks.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • George P. Shultz, former Secretary of the Treasury and Labor under Nixon, and Secretary of State under Reagan, has passed away at the age of 100. Shultz was a moderate voice in the Reagan administration and one of the major players in ending the Cold War.
                                                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                            Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.
                                                            Hate to see anyone suffer from cancer. Leon was the definition of "One Hit Wonder" and/or "The Perfect Storm". IIRC he had a real shady manager who basically took all of his money. RIP Leon.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Pedro Gomez died yesterday. Always enjoyed him.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                                Pedro Gomez died yesterday. Always enjoyed him.
                                                                58 is way too young.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                  58 is way too young.
                                                                  Seemed like a great guy. Was cause of death mentioned?

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                    Seemed like a great guy. Was cause of death mentioned?
                                                                    I read on ESPN it was unexpected
                                                                    60% of the time, it works every time.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                      I watched The Sound Of Music with my 9-year-old this past summer. Plummer was a fine actor. Not particularly common knowledge, but during filming of the movie, he and Charmian Carr who played oldest daughter Liesl, were having an affair. She was playing a 16-year-old and he her 40+ year old dad. In reality she was 22 and he was only 35. Both adults, but odd to be boinking your movie daughter.
                                                                      Sounds like she took that "you need someone older and wiser" (16 going on 17) line a little too far...

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                                        Pedro Gomez died yesterday. Always enjoyed him.
                                                                        Was at the ASU baseball scrimmage on Saturday and had planned to hook up with my buddy after they finished but he canceled cuz he forgot he and the wife had dinner plans at Pedro's. Was supposed to watch the Super Bowl with him last night but thankfully I had to bail due to elderly family members I'm responsible for. Glad I wasn't there when they got the news.

                                                                        The one time I got to talk some baseball with him was at a charity event he MC'd. Oddly enough, I'm in the background of the picture ASU used in their tweet. That's me sitting up on the balcony outside of Billy Beane's Moneyball office.

                                                                        If you haven't seen the coverage of him in Cuba with USA baseball, it's a must watch. Hopefully ESPN does a 30 fo 30 on his life.

                                                                        Prayers out to his family and friends.

                                                                        Last edited by NDCrusader; 02-17-2021, 05:01 PM.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer died last night at the age of 77 from Alzheimer's. He was HC of four teams, but probably best known for coaching the Browns and Chiefs. Schottenheimer was one of the NFL's 10 winningest coaches ever and his teams routinely won consistently during the regular season, but had a tendency to implode, fall victim to terrible luck, or otherwise come up short in the post-season.
                                                                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Larry Flint... RI"P"
                                                                            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • I can remember when Larry had his big 1st Amendment trial over Hustler. He was in a wheel chair because someone tried to kill him during the trial and it left him paralyzed. Married 5 times. Very controversial figure.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Former NFL wide receiver Vincent Jackson was found dead Monday in a Florida hotel room, according to The Hillsborough County (Florida) Sheriff's Office.

                                                                                The body of the 38-year-old Jackson was found at approximately 11:30 a.m. ET on Monday at the Homewood Suites in Brandon, Florida. Police said there were no apparent signs of trauma, and the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office will determine the cause of death.

                                                                                The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said it has opened an investigation.

                                                                                According to hotel staff, Jackson, who is a South Tampa resident, checked into the hotel on Jan. 11 and had been staying in a room since that date.

                                                                                Jackson's family reported him missing on Wednesday and a formal report was filed Thursday, but police located Jackson at the Homewood Suites on Friday. The missing persons case was canceled after Jackson's well-being was confirmed.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Rush Limbaugh passed away today at the age of 70 from lung cancer.
                                                                                  Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Inserts Grandpa Simpson Entering and leaving gif...
                                                                                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                      Rush Limbaugh passed away today at the age of 70 from lung cancer.
                                                                                      Voice for the conservative side for a long time. Like him or loathe him, he was a force in politics. Amassed wealth of $600M. RIP Rush.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                                                                                        Voice for the conservative side for a long time. Like him or loathe him, he was a force in politics. Amassed wealth of $600M. RIP Rush.
                                                                                        Not really a fan, but I know he did a ton of charity work, and donated a ton himself. He had several interests, but pretty sure he did a bunch for either cancer or leukemia. My personal favorite though was the Defend Betsy Ross situation.
                                                                                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

                                                                                          Not really a fan, but I know he did a ton of charity work, and donated a ton himself. He had several interests, but pretty sure he did a bunch for either cancer or leukemia. My personal favorite though was the Defend Betsy Ross situation.
                                                                                          I didn't listen to him either, but he was huge.
                                                                                          In December 2019, Talkers Magazine estimated that Limbaugh's show attracted a cumulative weekly audience of 15.5 million listeners to become the most-listened-to radio show in the United States.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                              Rush Limbaugh passed away today at the age of 70 from lung cancer.
                                                                                              Was sad to see how many awful things people were saying about him on social media yesterday. I only listened to him maybe a few times over his long career, I'm not big on radio for anything other than music or the occasional morning show, but I'm not gonna kick a guy on the day he dies. Seems rather immature and disrespectful to family and friends. They had 50+ years to criticize him, take a day off.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                                                Was sad to see how many awful things people were saying about him on social media yesterday. I only listened to him maybe a few times over his long career, I'm not big on radio for anything other than music or the occasional morning show, but I'm not gonna kick a guy on the day he dies. Seems rather immature and disrespectful to family and friends. They had 50+ years to criticize him, take a day off.
                                                                                                I knew very little about him before yesterday. I knew the name, but that's not my sphere so I never listened or had any real reason to dig deep into him.

                                                                                                Well, I learned a whole lot about him yesterday. He would have gloated about my death, so I actually think it's very good that people trashed him :)

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                                                  Was sad to see how many awful things people were saying about him on social media yesterday. I only listened to him maybe a few times over his long career, I'm not big on radio for anything other than music or the occasional morning show, but I'm not gonna kick a guy on the day he dies. Seems rather immature and disrespectful to family and friends. They had 50+ years to criticize him, take a day off.
                                                                                                  He was before my time so I didn't know about some of his antics, but the AIDS update stuff is pretty egregious.

                                                                                                  People didn't hate him because he was for traditional conservative values like fiscal responsibility and smaller government, it was because he was homophobic and made racially insensitive comments.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post

                                                                                                    I knew very little about him before yesterday. I knew the name, but that's not my sphere so I never listened or had any real reason to dig deep into him.

                                                                                                    Well, I learned a whole lot about him yesterday. He would have gloated about my death, so I actually think it's very good that people trashed him :)
                                                                                                    Yeah, I heard in the 80s Rush would have a segment on his show called "AIDs Update" where he would talk about gay and bisexual men that passed away. I don't condone it, it was controversial even then, but look how far we've come as a society in the last 30-35 years. Back then it was quite accepted to make fun of homosexuals, it's kind of cringeworthy when you go back and watch comedies and tv shoes from that period because there's gay jokes everywhere. It was the cool thing to do. Hell, even when we used to criticize something they didn't like people would say, "That's gay." Then it became, "That's retarded" or "Are you retarded?" Now it's "Are you Autistic?" Looks like we still have a ways to go, but maybe someday we'll get there. That being said, whatever Rush said 30+ years ago, it's different today. The stigma has been changed.

                                                                                                    People shouldn't be summed up by comments that were made a lifetime ago, and even if those comments are reprehensible today an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. We're better today than we were back then, no need to stoop down to that level.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                                                      Yeah, I heard in the 80s Rush would have a segment on his show called "AIDs Update" where he would talk about gay and bisexual men that passed away. I don't condone it, it was controversial even then, but look how far we've come as a society in the last 30-35 years. Back then it was quite accepted to make fun of homosexuals, it's kind of cringeworthy when you go back and watch comedies and tv shoes from that period because there's gay jokes everywhere. It was the cool thing to do. Hell, even when we used to criticize something they didn't like people would say, "That's gay." Then it became, "That's retarded" or "Are you retarded?" Now it's "Are you Autistic?" Looks like we still have a ways to go, but maybe someday we'll get there. That being said, whatever Rush said 30+ years ago, it's different today. The stigma has been changed.

                                                                                                      People shouldn't be summed up by comments that were made a lifetime ago, and even if those comments are reprehensible today an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. We're better today than we were back then, no need to stoop down to that level.
                                                                                                      You can go through this and see an awful lot of things were said quite recently. https://people.com/politics/rush-lim...rsial-moments/

                                                                                                      2007 - “Barack, the Magic Negro,”

                                                                                                      I mean....that really wouldn't have been something good to say in 1988, let alone 2007.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X