Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greene was roided up during his time in the NFL. Wouldn’t surprise me if that contributed to his early death.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Leslie West, the guitarist for the rock band Mountain, passed away today from heart failure at the age of 75. He and Mountain were best known for their classic rock hit Mississippi Queen and for playing at Woodstock in '69.
      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
        John le Carré, British novelist, passed away yesterday at the age of 89. Born David John Moore Cornwell, he actually served as an intelligence officer for both MI5 and MI6 during the 50's and 60's, and adopted the pen name le Carré due to British Intelligence prohibitions against officers publishing under their own name.

le Carré raised spy fiction to a whole new level and many of his books, such as The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, Smiley's People, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and The Russia House are classics which have been made into successful movies.
        A favorite author. Each time I discover a new book that I had not read, I think of Graham Greene. Le Carre (Cornwell) so brilliantly presents us with his characters facing moral choices in a gray, largely unknown to us, world. I'll bet a number of his other books will also be made into movies. Farewell and thank you.

The films of his books attracted some of our greatest actors.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._le_Carr%C3%A9 (films)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/m...e-netflix.html (TV adaptions)
        Last edited by Legacy; 12-24-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post
          Not relevant to my American brothers, but Rick is one of the Top 10. Greatly influenced my life. He was my defensive coach and Aurelio was my offensive coach over 40 years ago.

In 2015, I wrote that we visited ND for the USC game. Rick asked us to light candles for him (just diagnosed with ALS) and Aurel. We all did and said our prayers at the Grotto and thanked the Almighty for having such exceptional coaches/teachers and friends.

God bless you Coach, thanks for all the lessons and RIP.

Cheers and as always, Go Irish!!

https://lethbridgeherald.com/sports/...h-passes-away/
          2020 has taken a lot from me and close friends. Posted this earlier and it keeps on coming. Lost both of my coaches this year. "Rel" passed away a few days ago. Alzheimer's is cruel. Far more than a coach, he was a wonderful man and helped me become the person I am. I hope I live to his expectations.

Very happy that I contributed to build a new football facility that will be named in their honor... while they were both alive, to recognize their contributions.

https://www.cornerstonefuneralhome.c...lo-aurelio-rel

I won't muddy this thread again. God Bless you Coach Delbello and let Perpetual Light shine Upon You. Thanks for everything!!

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Comment

• KC Jones, legendary player and coach of the Celtics, has passed away at the age of 88. Jones won several titles as a teammate of Bill Russell for the Celtics, then later became the Celtics head coach in the 80's during the Bird era, guiding them to 2 more titles. Very few men were more successful in the basketball world than Jones.
            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Quotes by both Bird and Russell about what an outstanding gentleman he was (Bird - the man I try to be but don’t have enough time to ever work at it enough and Russell - if there is one man I want one of my sons to be like it’s him) speak to that as successful as he was in basketball he was just as successful in life off the court. He and Heinson both gone within about a month.

Comment

• RIP Ty Jordan, a freshman RB at Utah. Preliminary reports are he accidentally shot himself. Absolutely terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                  RIP Ty Jordan, a freshman RB at Utah. Preliminary reports are he accidentally shot himself. Absolutely terrible.
                  Not great
                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• The Knuckler passed today. No one could make a ball dance like Niekro

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                      The Knuckler passed today. No one could make a ball dance like Niekro
                      Dude won over 300 games. Made a living off the knuckler. Brother was a knuckler as well.

Comment

• Dawn Wells, famous for playing Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island, passed away this morning at the age of 82 due to complications from Covid.

Comment

• Darn. RIP Mary Ann

So much hotter than Ginger!
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                            Darn. RIP Mary Ann

So much hotter than Ginger!
                            Much much hotter than Ginger. One of my first tv crushes.

Comment

• I know why Gilligan always screwed up plans to get off the island. lol

Comment

• Hall of Famer and former Broncos running back Floyd Little passed away yesterday from cancer at the age of 78. Little, who played for the Broncos during the late 60's to mid 70's, was the team's first star. A threat as both a runner and receiver, Little went to multiple Pro Bowls and was enshrined in Canton in 2010. By all accounts, he was one of the genuinely nicest guys in sports and a great representative of the game.

Comment

Hall of Famer and former Broncos running back Floyd Little passed away yesterday from cancer at the age of 78. Little, who played for the Broncos during the late 60's to mid 70's, was the team's first star. A threat as both a runner and receiver, Little went to multiple Pro Bowls and was enshrined in Canton in 2010. By all accounts, he was one of the genuinely nicest guys in sports and a great representative of the game.
                                  One in a long line of HoF RB from Syracuse.

Comment

• also Paul Westphal, 70, played for USC and the Phoenix Suns, later coached. Really good player in his prime.

Comment

• Actress Tanya Roberts passed away today at the age of 65, apparently from a urinary tract/kidney infection. She's best known as one of Charlie's Angels and for for playing Midge, the attractive but airheaded mom of Donna on That 70's Show.

Comment

Actress Tanya Roberts passed away today at the age of 65, apparently from a urinary tract/kidney infection. She's best known as one of Charlie's Angels and for for playing Midge, the attractive but airheaded mom of Donna on That 70's Show.
                                        And Bond girl (A View to a Kill)

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                          And Bond girl (A View to a Kill)
                                          I forgot about that role. I always think of her one season on Charlie's Angels, but really loved her on That 70's Show. She's was comic gold on there with her odd mixture of dimwittedness and brilliant depth. You never quite knew if she was a genius or a moron, but she was always funny.

Comment

• She held up pretty well.

Comment

• Gerry from Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Ferry Cross the Mersey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                                                Gerry from Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Ferry Cross the Mersey.
                                                Part of the British Invasion of the 60's. RIP Gerry.

Comment

I forgot about that role. I always think of her one season on Charlie's Angels, but really loved her on That 70's Show. She's was comic gold on there with her odd mixture of dimwittedness and brilliant depth. You never quite knew if she was a genius or a moron, but she was always funny.
                                                  I'm the opposite lol. Totally forgot she was an Angel, not a big comedy guy (current shows), but remembered her from Bond. She was on some other series I liked back in the 70s or 80s, but can't put my finger on it.

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                  She held up pretty well.
                                                  yup, really well.

Comment

• RIP to the young woman who lost her life in the Capital today...... So sad and shouldn't have happened in the United States.
                                                    Admit it. You looked at the avatar first.

Comment

Actress Tanya Roberts passed away today at the age of 65, apparently from a urinary tract/kidney infection. She's best known as one of Charlie's Angels and for for playing Midge, the attractive but airheaded mom of Donna on That 70's Show.
                                                      Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                      Never knew she was in Bond, but yeah...knew her as Midge on That 70s Show. She did have great comedic timing, very entertaining. The original Lori from that show passed too, both gone too soon.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/E1qyeKtfjl">pic.twitter.com/E1qyeKtfjl</a></p>&mdash; Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1347585134178955264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 8, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Happy that he was able to watch the Dodgers win the World Series one last time.

Comment

Happy that he was able to watch the Dodgers win the World Series one last time.
                                                            It did seem apropos

He did not look good when he was in public...he had that faraway gaze in his eyes. But he lived a long & eventful life and bled Dodger blue for the majority of that life. Listen to the end.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9rUy9FmzsxY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• 93 years old. That's a long life.
                                                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Tommy was great for the game of baseball.

Comment

• Siegfried Fischbacher, half of the Siegfried & Roy duo, passed away yesterday at the age of 81 from pancreatic cancer. His partner Roy died from Covid complications last year.

Comment

• Phil Specter 81 died in prison. Famous record producer. Should have spent a lot more time in prison than he did.

Comment

• Covid claims its 1st Polar Bear. RIP "The Polar Bear" Paul Varlens, legend of early UFC Tournaments.

Comment

• Very sad to hear about Hank Aaron. I’m named after the man and I would have loved to have met him and say thank for helping me understand how a man should carry himself.
                                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                          Very sad to hear about Hank Aaron. I’m named after the man and I would have loved to have met him and say thank for helping me understand how a man should carry himself.
                                                                          Hammering Hank. Played for the Milwaukee Braves before they moved to Atlanta. Believe he hit his record setting HR off of Al Dowling. One of the all-time greats in sports. RIP Henry.

Comment

• RIP to the real home run king
                                                                            60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Aaron's achievements were accomplished mostly when the pitcher's mound was higher (lowered in '69), the strike zone was bigger and did not occur in the steroid or live ball eras.

He had Eddie Matthews in Milwaukee but in later years did he have anyone that forced pitchers not to pitch around him?
                                                                              Last edited by Legacy; 01-22-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                                                RIP to the real home run king
                                                                                THIS
                                                                                I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• Well darn. RIP.

Comment

• What a legend. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord

Comment

• This one kind of stings a little. Hammering Hank, RIP.

He's so famous for the HR record but that doesn't even begin to explain how good of a hitter he was. The guy could flat out rake. 300+ BA and STILL to this day with PEDs owns the RBI record. Speaks to clutch base hits which is most important. He didn't have that sweet Griffey swing but could sure find the other side of the fence.

RIP Mr. Homerun

Comment

• Aaron was so much more than that HR record. He was the epitome of dignity, class, and decency. Just an all-around great player and even better person.

Comment

• Just heard on the radio that he had received the COVID vaccine about a week earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                                                            RIP to the real home run king
                                                                                            The two real home run kings are watching over us now.

Time for the MLB to restore Roger Maris' single season record of 61 home runs and Hank Aaron's career record. Cheaters shouldn't be rewarded
                                                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

This one kind of stings a little. Hammering Hank, RIP.

He's so famous for the HR record but that doesn't even begin to explain how good of a hitter he was. The guy could flat out rake. 300+ BA and STILL to this day with PEDs owns the RBI record. Speaks to clutch base hits which is most important. He didn't have that sweet Griffey swing but could sure find the other side of the fence.

RIP Mr. Homerun
                                                                                                Probably the quickest wrists known to man. I remember him in an interview saying he could go up to the plate and look curveball b/c he knew his wrists were quick enough to react to any fastball. That’s insane. RIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
                                                                                                  Aaron's achievements were accomplished mostly when the pitcher's mound was higher (lowered in '69), the strike zone was bigger and did not occur in the steroid or live ball eras.

He had Eddie Matthews in Milwaukee but in later years did he have anyone that forced pitchers not to pitch around him?
                                                                                                  Yes, but not to that level. He had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty & Joe Torre in the mid-to-late 60s. In the 70s, he was likely responsible for some of his teammates having career years HR-wise. Light hitting 2B Davey Johnson actually slugged 40+ HRs on year. In recent times, he’d immediately be under suspicion for PED use. Darrell Evans also benefitted but he was a career power hitter.

Bottom line, he was one of the best all-around hitters of all-time. RIP

SIDE NOTE: imagine being his younger brother Tommie. He played 5 or so years for the Braves but I don’t recall him being a starter & he was nowhere near the hitter. Guess he, Chris Gwynn & Ozzie Canseco have something in common...LOL

Comment

• Not to be morbid, but I can’t help but think Willie Mays will be joining his fellow HOFers in Heaven soon. For my money, he’s the best all around player of the modern era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                                                      Yes, but not to that level. He had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty & Joe Torre in the mid-to-late 60s. In the 70s, he was likely responsible for some of his teammates having career years HR-wise. Light hitting 2B Davey Johnson actually slugged 40+ HRs on year. In recent times, he’d immediately be under suspicion for PED use. Darrell Evans also benefitted but he was a career power hitter.

Bottom line, he was one of the best all-around hitters of all-time. RIP

SIDE NOTE: imagine being his younger brother Tommie. He played 5 or so years for the Braves but I don’t recall him being a starter & he was nowhere near the hitter. Guess he, Chris Gwynn & Ozzie Canseco have something in common...LOL
                                                                                                      Lol. I have a couple of Ozzie Canseco rookie cards.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X