Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends. Thank you, Alex. <a href="https://t.co/Yk2a90CHIM">pic.twitter.com/Yk2a90CHIM</a></p>&mdash; Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1325490106329751553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Sad news about Trebek. Not that it was unexpected, but I really hate that he lost his battle with cancer.
      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Former Celtics player and coach Tom Heinson passed. He won a bunch of titles as a player and one or two as a coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
          Hate to see him lose his battle with cancer, but it was inevitable.

I'll take quiz show hosts for $1,000 Alex.

Answer: This TV host hosted this trivia show for 36 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
            Hate to see him lose his battle with cancer, but it was inevitable.

I'll take quiz show hosts for $1,000 Alex.

Answer: This TV host hosted this trivia show for 36 years.
            Saw where George Stephanopolous’ reps have reached out to see if there was interest in him replacing Trbek. He get an emphatic ‘no’ from me. I’d go w/ Conan O’Brien. I’m sure there are others out there as well that I haven’t considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
              Sad news about Trebek. Not that it was unexpected, but I really hate that he lost his battle with cancer.
              Pancreatic cancer is a beast. Such a tough organ to access so lots of patients aren’t even eligible for surgery. Only options are Folfirinox or Gemcitabine + Abraxane both of which are brutal. Sounds like he got some great care as he likely beat the median PFS for such patients.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                Saw where George Stephanopolous’ reps have reached out to see if there was interest in him replacing Trbek. He get an emphatic ‘no’ from me. I’d go w/ Conan O’Brien. I’m sure there are others out there as well that I haven’t considered.
                Why not Jennings?
                Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                  Why not Jennings?
                  Why not someone likable
                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                    Why not someone likable
                    Hard to think of anyone likeable lol... Give me Alfonso Ribeiro
                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                      Hard to think of anyone likeable lol... Give me Alfonso Ribeiro
                      Lol call up Pat Sajak and take whoever he recommends
                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                        Lol call up Pat Sajak and take whoever he recommends
                        I just hope they don't go "young and hip".....
                        Keep Jeopardy great...

Comment

• Gonna be hard to find someone to replace Trebek. Should be someone distinguished and intelligent, but not completely stuffy.

I'm thinking Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Comment

• How 'bout this guy?

Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• You need someone smart, a lifelong learner, and very articulate so they can pronounce some of the words, read the questions well, etc. What made Trebek so great was that he made sure he knew what he was saying.

Comment

• RIP to Celtic great Tommy Heinsohn. He was a part of 10 NBA titles as player & coach. Also, starred in those Miller Lite ads from the 80s & did some analysis work on tv for NBA games.

Comment

• For Trebek's replacemtn, I'd prefer Austin Rogers. He is the bartender from Boston (I think) who won a good bit, was smart, and was at home on the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                    For Trebek's replacemtn, I'd prefer Austin Rogers. He is the bartender from Boston (I think) who won a good bit, was smart, and was at home on the show.

I like him!

Comment

• I was always disappointed that sports played a very small role, particularly with how sports is so ingrained in our lives. You can always count on some form of literature being a category almost every night.

I'll take quiz show host for $500 Alex.

A: This gentleman who was the original host of jeopardy from 1964 - 1975, also died from pancreatic cancer!

Who is Art Fleming.

Comment

• I saw somebody say Ernie Johnson and I'd actually love that.

Comment

• Former Pro Bowler and Dolphin safety Jake Scott died yesterday at the age of 75 from a head injury he suffered in a fall at his Atlanta home. Scott was the MVP of Super Bowl VII that capped off the Dolphins' perfect season.

Comment

Former Pro Bowler and Dolphin safety Jake Scott died yesterday at the age of 75 from a head injury he suffered in a fall at his Atlanta home. Scott was the MVP of Super Bowl VII that capped off the Dolphins' perfect season.
                                            He had a reputation of being a hard hitter. RIP Jake.

Comment

Former Pro Bowler and Dolphin safety Jake Scott died yesterday at the age of 75 from a head injury he suffered in a fall at his Atlanta home. Scott was the MVP of Super Bowl VII that capped off the Dolphins' perfect season.
                                              Perennial All-Pro and wasn’t afraid to sport some mutton chops &/or a fu Manchu. RIP.

Comment

• Maradona

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord

Comment

• RIP Diego.

One of my fav OGs. He certainly had a unique life.

Comment

• “El mano de Dios.”

Indeed sir, indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnycando View Post
                                                      “El mano de Dios.”

Indeed sir, indeed.

Comment

• https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/da...?ocid=msedgntp

David Lander, who is most famous for playing Squiggy on Laverne & Shirley, has passed away at the age of 73 from MS.

Comment

• Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                          For Trebek's replacemtn, I'd prefer Austin Rogers. He is the bartender from Boston (I think) who won a good bit, was smart, and was at home on the show.

Ehhh, hard pass. He comes off as a real toolbag...

Comment

• Former ROY & MVP Dick Allen passed away today. I think he’ll eventually get inducted into the HoF. If so, he deserved to be enshrined while he was still with us.

One of my favorite all-time covers of SI is Dick Allen juggling baseballs in the dugout with a cigarette dangling from his mouth. Sporting those sweet 70s era red Chicago White Sox uni made it that much more cool.

Comment

• Former Lake County author Kittredge dies in Montana

William Kittredge, who grew up in Eastern Oregon on his family’s historic MC Ranch near Adel in Lake County and who was regarded by many as the dean of Western writers, died Friday, Dec. 4 in Montana.

Kittredge, 88, is the author of several books, including his memoir, “Hole In the Sky,” a book edited with Annick Smith, “The Last Best Place: A Montana Anthology,” and books of essays, “Owning It All,” “The Nature of Generosity” and “Balancing Water: Restoring the Klamath Basin,” which was published in 2000 and featured photographs by Tupper Ansel Blake of Dorris and Madeleine Graham Blake of Klamath Falls. (cont)
                                                              I can recommend Last Best Place, an anthology of some of the greatest stories and storytellers of the American West, which he co-edited.

Among his many honors was a National Humanities Award by then-President Bill Clinton in 1994. Two of his books, “Hole In The Sky” and “Owning It All,” recall his impressions of growing up in southeastern Oregon. He is often critical of his family, himself and damage created by irresponsible ranching and farming.

”We thought we were doing God’s work out there,” said Kittredge of life on the MC Ranch. “We found out that some of that ‘big’ ag doesn’t work.” “Hole In The Sky,” in which Kittredge chronicles his personal failures, won the PEN West Award in 1992 for best nonfiction book of the year. He also co-edited “The Last Best Place: A Montana Anthology” in 1988 and co-authored nine novels in the Cord series of Westerns. “Who Won the West” was published in 1996. His novel, “The Willow Field,” was published in 2006.
                                                              Last edited by Legacy; 12-07-2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                Former ROY & MVP Dick Allen passed away today. I think he’ll eventually get inducted into the HoF. If so, he deserved to be enshrined while he was still with us.

One of my favorite all-time covers of SI is Dick Allen juggling baseballs in the dugout with a cigarette dangling from his mouth. Sporting those sweet 70s era red Chicago White Sox uni made it that much more cool.
                                                                Yup. Throwback great.

Comment

• I have a picture of me & my Dad as he gave Allen a Lucky Strike while he was on deck during a July 4th game vs the O's in '72. Also have that signed ticket by Allen & Carlos May. My old man was a union official with the USW so we got to sit on the dugout a lot during Allen's years in Chicago. After that, Dick would call my dad, Mr. Lucky.

Just looked up the box score. Sox lost 2-1 and of course Allen had a HR.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

Comment

• RIP Chuck Yeager.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                                                                      RIP Chuck Yeager.
                                                                      <iframe width="600" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y73tnUn6ETY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                                                                        RIP Chuck Yeager.
                                                                        I didn't realize Yeager was quite that old. He lived a heck of a life. I still remember his cameo in The Right Stuff as the shuffling old guy sweeping the floor at the bar. Heck of a pilot.

Comment

• Yeager was known to many as the guy that broke the sound barrier, but he was also an "Ace" during WWII IIRC. A true American hero.

Comment

• Former NFL and Bama coach Ray Perkins died today at the age of 79.

Comment

• Deebo passed yesterday. "That's my bike, punk"

One of the funniest movies ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                                Deebo passed yesterday. "That's my bike, punk"

One of the funniest movies ever.
                                                                                He was great in that role. Completely over the top. Great movie. Hate to hear of his passing.

Comment

• Rest in peace Mocking Bird.

<iframe width="500" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dDKJIWwA2_Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="500" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dwNKiiPdyOg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                  Last edited by Irish YJ; 12-12-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                                    Rest in peace Mocking Bird.
                                                                                    I hate to hear that. I'm not much of a country fan, but Charley had a nice voice and a winning personality. By all accounts, he was a genuinely good, humble guy liked by everyone. A great loss to the music world.

Comment

I hate to hear that. I'm not much of a country fan, but Charley had a nice voice and a winning personality. By all accounts, he was a genuinely good, humble guy liked by everyone. A great loss to the music world.
                                                                                      Yup. Very good and humble guy. Didn't see color. Broke traditional stereotypes. And embraced by all the red neck racist country fans. He made a comment like "I didn't know I had to be white to sing country. I just used my voice to sing what I like". Huge loss to Country music, and music in general.

Comment

• Mentioned to My wife he passed. Her comment, “I saw that but didn’t realize he was black.” Lol
                                                                                        Died from COVID-19. They suspect he picked it up last month when receiving the lifetime achievement award. Watch the video. He didn’t look anywhere near 86. RIP Charlie and when you get to heaven, Kiss that angel good morning.

Comment

• John le Carré, British novelist, passed away yesterday at the age of 89. Born David John Moore Cornwell, he actually served as an intelligence officer for both MI5 and MI6 during the 50's and 60's, and adopted the pen name le Carré due to British Intelligence prohibitions against officers publishing under their own name.

le Carré raised spy fiction to a whole new level and many of his books, such as The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, Smiley's People, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and The Russia House are classics which have been made into successful movies.

Comment

• Just saw that, just awful

Comment

• Did Little Drummer Girl and Night Manager too, right?

Comment

• Yup

Comment

• Former NFL player Kevin Greene died yesterday at the age of 58. Greene played at Auburn, followed by a long NFL career with multiple teams. He ranks 3rd all time in the NFL in sacks and was inducted into the HOF a few years ago. No cause of death has been announced yet, though his death was said to be sudden and unexpected.

Comment

Former NFL player Kevin Greene died yesterday at the age of 58. Greene played at Auburn, followed by a long NFL career with multiple teams. He ranks 3rd all time in the NFL in sacks and was inducted into the HOF a few years ago. No cause of death has been announced yet, though his death was said to be sudden and unexpected.
                                                                                                    Oh wow...certainly didn't see this one coming. RIP. He was a wild man on the field.

Comment

• Kevin Greene was one of my favorite players growing up. Too young to pass away. More shitty news for a calendar year that can't end soon enough.
                                                                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X