Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RIP SD


    Originally posted by Irishize View Post
    Great song. Didn’t that feature Steve Winwood on vocals? He was (IIRC) 16-yrs old w/ the voice of an old blues artist.
    Pretty sure he was 14 and still in school when he joined.

    Steve is the bomb. Preferred his time with Clapton/Blind Faith over SD and Traffic, but enjoyed everything he touched. Can't Find My Way Home will always be one of my all time favs. One of those songs that is just haunting. Definitely was one of the better 80s voices as well.
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

    Comment


    • Same,... it changes with mood and such but most often in my life when asked ‘fav song ever’ I’ve answered CFMWH
      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
        Same,... it changes with mood and such but most often in my life when asked ‘fav song ever’ I’ve answered CFMWH
        Winwood's voice, Clapton's strumming, Ginger Bakers soft drums, and lyrics like "wasted and I can't find my way home". Just hard to beat.
        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

        Comment


        • Tony Lewis, lead singer / bassist of The Outfield died yesterday.

          If you were between 10 and 40 in '85-'86, you liked their album, Play Deep. That album along with TFF - Songs from the Big Chair and Mellancamp's Scarecrow were 1985.

          I was just back in Michiana for a minute and made a point to go down to the beach at Stop 2 in Michigan City and fired up "Your Love". That's the song I overwhelmingly connect with days at the beach. Thought it would be nostalgic and fun, ended up being REALLY depressing. Thomas Wolfe was right. You can't go home again.

          RIP Tony

          <iframe width="600" height="330" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4N1iwQxiHrs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

          Comment


          • Interesting,... he couldn’t have been that old.
            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
              Same,... it changes with mood and such but most often in my life when asked ‘fav song ever’ I’ve answered CFMWH
              It makes my top 10. I didn't like a lot of Winwood's solo and Traffic stuff (I did love Empty Pages, though), but that Blind Faith album was something special.
              Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

              Comment


              • RIP

                Much too young for Lewis... Only 63. You're Love was huge on Spring Break in Daytona and was just coming out. That and several other songs take me right back to Feb/Mar 1986. You're Love though, along with Summer Nights, are my favs from that whole experience. Ah the memories.

                And the beach was full of West End Girls, Addicted to Love, Rock Me Amadeus, Why Can't This Be Love, Summer Nights, R.O.C.K. in the USA, Stages, Let's Go All The Way, Manic Monday, Kiss, I Can't Wait, Something About You. In My Dreams. Had a Maxwell Chrome mix tape with all those songs from the beach.

                IIRC, Winwood came out with Higher Love a little later that year.
                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                  RIP

                  Much too young for Lewis... Only 63. You're Love was huge on Spring Break in Daytona and was just coming out. That and several other songs take me right back to Feb/Mar 1986. You're Love though, along with Summer Nights, are my favs from that whole experience. Ah the memories.

                  And the beach was full of West End Girls, Addicted to Love, Rock Me Amadeus, Why Can't This Be Love, Summer Nights, R.O.C.K. in the USA, Stages, Let's Go All The Way, Manic Monday, Kiss, I Can't Wait, Something About You. In My Dreams. Had a Maxwell Chrome mix tape with all those songs from the beach.

                  IIRC, Winwood came out with Higher Love a little later that year.
                  Damn we are getting old. I loved that song & the “Play Deep” album. I can’t remember how a British band used a baseball term for the name of their band and first album. I’m sure the album title was a euphemism but can’t recall how they landed on the band name.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                    Tony Lewis, lead singer / bassist of The Outfield died yesterday.

                    If you were between 10 and 40 in '85-'86, you liked their album, Play Deep. That album along with TFF - Songs from the Big Chair and Mellancamp's Scarecrow were 1985.

                    I was just back in Michiana for a minute and made a point to go down to the beach at Stop 2 in Michigan City and fired up "Your Love". That's the song I overwhelmingly connect with days at the beach. Thought it would be nostalgic and fun, ended up being REALLY depressing. Thomas Wolfe was right. You can't go home again.

                    RIP Tony

                    <iframe width="600" height="330" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4N1iwQxiHrs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                    Watching that video again makes me wonder if there could be another MTV that just played music videos w/ music news delivered by VeeJays. I think that ship has sailed w/ the likes of digital media, YouTube, etc but I loved that you could turn on MTV in the 80s like it was a radio station.

                    Remember Night Flight? Always looked forward to that as well on the weekends. Loved me some “Headbangers Ball” too. Remember one of the hosts, Adam Curry? He’s now known as “The Podfather” in the world of podcasts. He does his pod out of TX and is big into the IT media world. Very conspiratorial when listening to him (maybe it’s the weed...LOL) but I wouldn’t have predicted him doing what he’s doing now based on his seemingly contrived look on “Headbangers Ball”...he looked like the typical poser w/ the off the rack leather jacket and perfectly coiffed hair.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                      Damn we are getting old. I loved that song & the “Play Deep” album. I can’t remember how a British band used a baseball term for the name of their band and first album. I’m sure the album title was a euphemism but can’t recall how they landed on the band name.
                      The movie ‘The Warriors’,... the baseball gang.
                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                        Damn we are getting old. I loved that song & the “Play Deep” album. I can’t remember how a British band used a baseball term for the name of their band and first album. I’m sure the album title was a euphemism but can’t recall how they landed on the band name.
                        In short, they originally were called the Baseball Boys (from a movie, the Warriors), and changed their name to the Outfield when they signed. Guessing Play Deep was just another play on baseball.

                        And yes, getting f'ing old lol.
                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                          The movie ‘The Warriors’,... the baseball gang.
                          Thank you sir. That makes more sense. “Warriors...come out to playyyyyyyy”

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                            RIP

                            Much too young for Lewis... Only 63. You're Love was huge on Spring Break in Daytona and was just coming out. That and several other songs take me right back to Feb/Mar 1986. You're Love though, along with Summer Nights, are my favs from that whole experience. Ah the memories.

                            And the beach was full of West End Girls, Addicted to Love, Rock Me Amadeus, Why Can't This Be Love, Summer Nights, R.O.C.K. in the USA, Stages, Let's Go All The Way, Manic Monday, Kiss, I Can't Wait, Something About You. In My Dreams. Had a Maxwell Chrome mix tape with all those songs from the beach.

                            IIRC, Winwood came out with Higher Love a little later that year.
                            Your love in a top 10-15 80's bop
                            Based Mullet Kid owns

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                              Watching that video again makes me wonder if there could be another MTV that just played music videos w/ music news delivered by VeeJays. I think that ship has sailed w/ the likes of digital media, YouTube, etc but I loved that you could turn on MTV in the 80s like it was a radio station.

                              Remember Night Flight? Always looked forward to that as well on the weekends. Loved me some “Headbangers Ball” too. Remember one of the hosts, Adam Curry? He’s now known as “The Podfather” in the world of podcasts. He does his pod out of TX and is big into the IT media world. Very conspiratorial when listening to him (maybe it’s the weed...LOL) but I wouldn’t have predicted him doing what he’s doing now based on his seemingly contrived look on “Headbangers Ball”...he looked like the typical poser w/ the off the rack leather jacket and perfectly coiffed hair.
                              Remember MTV used to announce when videos from top artists were going to be released and you made sure you tuned in to see them for the first time. Videos used to be a large production back then. Also loved the Top 10 videos of the day. Couldn't miss that. Now MTV has nothing to do with music.

                              Comment


                              • Winwood: Roll With It Baby.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                  Your love in a top 10-15 80's bop
                                  You're post just made me remember that a country song called Bop (or something like that), was popular that week in 86 too lol.
                                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                    You're post just made me remember that a country song called Bop (or something like that), was popular that week in 86 too lol.
                                    The best country bop of the 80's is the 1983 classic "Jose Cuervo" by Shelly West
                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                      The best country bop of the 80's is the 1983 classic "Jose Cuervo" by Shelly West
                                      <iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OnK_xAaK2Z8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                      <iframe width="600" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U7EZ9V6F9yo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                        <iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OnK_xAaK2Z8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                        <iframe width="600" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U7EZ9V6F9yo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                        Not gonna lie I just had a little solo dance party. Two solid bops
                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                          Not gonna lie I just had a little solo dance party. Two solid bops
                                          There's some really solid country talent in that crowd if you noticed.
                                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                          Comment


                                          • Never heard of either song lol
                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                              Never heard of either song lol
                                              You live in Texas now. Get with the program bud
                                              Based Mullet Kid owns

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                You live in Texas now. Get with the program bud
                                                Eh,... I’m like six feet from New Mexico,....
                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                  Eh,... I’m like six feet from New Mexico,....


                                                  <iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7UVVS5-9HvA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                    Eh,... I’m like six feet from New Mexico,....
                                                    and 6 feet from Juarez... still in TX cali boy.

                                                    Organ Mountains and White Sands are pretty cool.
                                                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                      and 6 feet from Juarez... still in TX cali boy.

                                                      Organ Mountains and White Sands are pretty cool.
                                                      Who is this dude Juarez and am I supposed to know him?? One of you mom’s other boyfriends??
                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                        Who is this dude Juarez and am I supposed to know him?? One of you mom’s other boyfriends??
                                                        He's the dude with boots. He'll even give you 25% off if you promise to retire your Uggs or Berskinstocks

                                                        And my mother has eyes for nobody but Acamp. She's still raving about your tacos and baked potatoes. You really know how to treat a lady!!! She just wishes your taquito was more like a burrito.
                                                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                          He's the dude with boots. He'll even give you 25% off if you promise to retire your Uggs or Berskinstocks

                                                          And my mother has eyes for nobody but Acamp. She's still raving about your tacos and baked potatoes. You really know how to treat a lady!!! She just wishes your taquito was more like a burrito.
                                                          Wait, I thought everyone raved about your mom's taco...

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                            Wait, I thought everyone raved about your mom's taco...
                                                            That was Acamp. He thinks it's delicious with a little pico.
                                                            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                              That was Acamp. He thinks it's delicious with a little pico.
                                                              Hey, I can't judge how people eat their tacos.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                RIP

                                                                Much too young for Lewis... Only 63. You're Love was huge on Spring Break in Daytona and was just coming out. That and several other songs take me right back to Feb/Mar 1986. You're Love though, along with Summer Nights, are my favs from that whole experience. Ah the memories.

                                                                And the beach was full of West End Girls, Addicted to Love, Rock Me Amadeus, Why Can't This Be Love, Summer Nights, R.O.C.K. in the USA, Stages, Let's Go All The Way, Manic Monday, Kiss, I Can't Wait, Something About You. In My Dreams. Had a Maxwell Chrome mix tape with all those songs from the beach.

                                                                IIRC, Winwood came out with Higher Love a little later that year.
                                                                YJ sparing no expense.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                  Never heard of either song lol
                                                                  ditto

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                    YJ sparing no expense.
                                                                    i had "a guy"
                                                                    lol

                                                                    Found one of my old 80s mixes a couple years ago back at moms. Surprisingly still sounded decent. Started out with Here I go Again. Also had Hagar's Give to Live, and some Crue. Rocked out while I was cleaning out the garage. Tucked it right back into the box where I found it.
                                                                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Mr Bojangles Jerry Jeff Walker has passed at 78

                                                                      <iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7t-2GeZFDdc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                      <iframe width="500" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RWK8GgWD4uA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                      <iframe width="500" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6QgNzTN-STA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Prayers for the souls of two Notre Dame freshmen who were struck and killed by a car just off-campus early this morning. Both young women. Another student is currently hospitalized.

                                                                        https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-...-two-students/

                                                                        Very sad.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Herb Adderley HOF CB for the Packers SB champs in 67 & 68 has went to the HOF in the sky. RIP Herb.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Those Packers teams passing on is very sad for me,... those teams made my dad a life long Packers fan and seeing them go makes me feel even further removed from my father’s passing,... sucks
                                                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                              Those Packers teams passing on is very sad for me,... those teams made my dad a life long Packers fan and seeing them go makes me feel even further removed from my father’s passing,... sucks
                                                                              Don't forget our "Golden Boy" was part of those teams.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • I haven’t,...
                                                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                  Herb Adderley HOF CB for the Packers SB champs in 67 & 68 has went to the HOF in the sky. RIP Herb.
                                                                                  I once had the chance to meet Herb Adderley. He was the Honorary Chairman of the Big 33 game in Pennsylvania when Lavar Arrington was a senior and in the game. I happened to swindle some sideline passes. After the game he was just sitting on the bench alone. No one around him. Spent 5-10 minutes shooting the breeze about his playing days. Even let me try on his Super Bowl Ring. Class act.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • 007 Sean Connery has passed.

                                                                                    https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/stat...884966401?s=10

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Another one for dad there, he loved early Bond,... sucks
                                                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Connery...whyyyyy? 2020 has taken too much already.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • I know Connery lived a long life, but that sucks. Best Bond ever.
                                                                                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                            I know Connery lived a long life, but that sucks. Best Bond ever.
                                                                                            It's a testament to Connery they decided to bring him back in '83 for the role, 21 years after he first played Bond and after he had already been replaced twice.

                                                                                            So many other great films too... loved him in the Indy films.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Definitely my fav Bond. I know he lived a great life, but this sucks.

                                                                                              RIP double 0
                                                                                              Last edited by Irish YJ; 10-31-2020, 06:46 PM.
                                                                                              The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                              Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Didn’t know until I saw the news, but he placed 3rd in the Mr Universe contest.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Former Sooners bball coach Billy Tubbs just left us. Had pretty good success at that football school.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                    Former Sooners bball coach Billy Tubbs just left us. Had pretty good success at that football school.
                                                                                                    I have a hand written recruiting letter from Coach Tubbs he sent me back in '83. At the time, OU had Donnie Gandy from South Bend and Tim McCalister from Gary and I'm sure heavily recruited a couple of my teammates.

                                                                                                    As much as I dislike OU football, I have always liked their basketball team probably because of that.

                                                                                                    RIP Billy.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Alex Trebek, legend, dead at 80.

                                                                                                      https://tvline.com/2020/11/08/alex-t...reatic-cancer/
                                                                                                      60% of the time, it works every time.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X