• Show
Clear All

Very interesting, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
      Very interesting, my friend.
      We were early Earth Day adherents.

And late Acid Test adherents.

And "There Are Things Beyond Our Ken" adherents.

There are times that I miss those times, though I still rely on many of my "experiences" day-to-day.

Comment

What a long, strange trip this thread is truckin' into...

RIP Jerry!

<iframe width="654" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QuyaK0hGxWk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Yes indeedy, Crusader.

Thank you for posting "Truckin".

I'll continue/follow with:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wOaXTg3nAuY?rel=0&amp;controls=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Award-winning musician and songwriter Randy Scruggs has died at the age of 64.

I know that most of you won't know who he was, but I had the rare and sublime pleasure of seeing Randy Scruggs, along with his father, Earl (and Family and Friends) perform on the grounds of Rollins College in Winter Park, FL back in the seventies. He will be missed.

Comment

Swedish DJ Avicii passed away today at 28. Most of you don't know him but probably know the song "Levels" that they play at almost every sporting event ever.

Hits harder for me because that is the only genre of music I listen to now in large part thanks to his introduction to mainstream music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovdm2yX4MA
              Last edited by notredomer23; 04-20-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                Swedish DJ Avicii passed away today at 28. Most of you don't know him but probably know the song "Levels" that they play at almost every sporting event ever.

Hits harder for me because that is the only genre of music I listen to now in large part thanks to his introduction to mainstream music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovdm2yX4MA
                This is the one I best remember

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IcrbM1l_BoI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

Wow - that is a huge loss. Those two songs right there are great. I'm bummed.
                  I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

I was just listening to "The Nights" this morning to get me pumped. So weird now. The song is absolutely chilling now.
                    <iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UtF6Jej8yb4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Swedish DJ and producer Avicii was found dead on Friday, his publicist confirmed. He was 28.

“It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,” his publicist said in a statement. “He was found dead in Muscat, Oman this Friday afternoon local time, April 20th. The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time. No further statements will be given.”

Avicii gained mainstream popularity and became one of the decade’s first major EDM stars in 2011 on the strength of his self-produced single “Levels.” The breakout hit sampled Etta James’s “Something’s Got a Hold on Me” and was the primary sample in rapper Flo Rida’s hit “Good Feeling.” The DJ quickly transformed into the face of EDM, performing around 300 gigs both that year and the next. “Levels” and “Sunshine,” a collaboration with French DJ David Guetta, received Grammy nominations for best dance recording.

In 2012, Avicii debuted remixes of Madonna’s “Girls Gone Wild” and Lenny Kravitz’s “Superlove” at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami. (Speaking about working with Madonna, he told The Post in 2012: “That was really cool for me because she’s such a musical icon, and it was just an honor.”) He headlined the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago that same year and tirelessly kept his career going, his music once again blaring on mainstream radio stations with 2013’s “Wake Me Up.”
                      I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

Former Ohio State coach Earl Bruce passed away earlier today at the age of 87. He'd been suffering from Alzheimer's and other age related health problems.
                        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                          Swedish DJ and producer Avicii was found dead on Friday, his publicist confirmed. He was 28.

“It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,” his publicist said in a statement. “He was found dead in Muscat, Oman this Friday afternoon local time, April 20th. The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time. No further statements will be given.”

Avicii gained mainstream popularity and became one of the decade’s first major EDM stars in 2011 on the strength of his self-produced single “Levels.” The breakout hit sampled Etta James’s “Something’s Got a Hold on Me” and was the primary sample in rapper Flo Rida’s hit “Good Feeling.” The DJ quickly transformed into the face of EDM, performing around 300 gigs both that year and the next. “Levels” and “Sunshine,” a collaboration with French DJ David Guetta, received Grammy nominations for best dance recording.

In 2012, Avicii debuted remixes of Madonna’s “Girls Gone Wild” and Lenny Kravitz’s “Superlove” at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami. (Speaking about working with Madonna, he told The Post in 2012: “That was really cool for me because she’s such a musical icon, and it was just an honor.”) He headlined the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago that same year and tirelessly kept his career going, his music once again blaring on mainstream radio stations with 2013’s “Wake Me Up.”
                          Wake Me Up is really good stuff. Missed him at Red Rocks in 2012 and have been waiting for him to play another show there. RIP

[IMG]<iframe width="832" height="468" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IcrbM1l_BoI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

RIP
                            Verne brought a lot of smiles to folks over the years.
                            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

https://twitter.com/NDAlumni/status/...865779201?s=20

Please keep my family and the family of Dr. Stephen Grady in your prayers. They were scheduled to attend an Alumni conference at the University this past weekend but never made it. They were obsessed with everything Notre Dame and would talk and befriend anyone who they came in contact with while on campus. They were set to meet with Ara's wife and also were invited by Coach Corrigan to stop by to watch the lacrosse team practice. Father Thesing actually travelled to Harrisburg to attend Dr. Grady's funeral this morning. Although my Dad was not an alumnus, he worshipped anything Notre Dame. The University has shown the utmost respect for my family and Rudy actually sent my family a personalized video offering his condolences. Notre Dame is truly a special community.
                              Last edited by jjsccer2; 04-24-2018, 09:48 PM.
                              Just remember your sitz im leben and it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Superman actress Margot Kidder has passed away at the age of 69. She was somewhat of a big deal in the late 70's. In the 90's, she was hospitalized with major mental health issues (manic depression/bipolar disorder) and was often homeless. Sad situation.
                                Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                  Superman actress Margot Kidder has passed away at the age of 69. She was somewhat of a big deal in the late 70's. In the 90's, she was hospitalized with major mental health issues (manic depression/bipolar disorder) and was often homeless. Sad situation.
                                  She had a bizarre life for sure. So sad.

Comment

Tom Wolfe, author of ‘The Right Stuff’ and ‘Bonfire Of The Vanities’ died earlier this week at the age of 88. I'm a little surprised this hasn't gotten more coverage. Wolfe was very influential as both a writer and a cultural figure. He's the one who coined the term "The Me Generation" to describe the 70's.

Comment

Never read the book, but "The Right Stuff" was an amazing movie.

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                        Never read the book, but "The Right Stuff" was an amazing movie.
                                        It was. I loved that Yeager had a cameo role as the old man in Pancho's who swept up and wiped tables. The Band drummer Levon Helm played the part of Ridley, Yeager's buddy who helped him during his flights in the X-1. Lots of famous people had small roles in the film. My wife & I watched it just a couple of months ago.

Comment

My first Tom Wolfe read was The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby followed by The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. This was in the late '60s while I was in high school.

A few years later I decided that I'd rather be on the bus than off the bus.

Comment

Tom Wolfe’s Other Legacy
                                            The writer’s prose wasn’t his only notable stylistic gesture.

In the end, it may have been Tom Wolfe’s own chic that was most radical. Leave it to others to unpack the extravagant and often provocative literary legacy of the author, who died on Monday at 88. Of almost equal fascination are the contents of his closet and the cut of his clothes.

It is hard now to remember that there was ever a time — in the ancient days before visual branding became a requisite for figures both public and private — when writers took it as an emblem of seriousness to dress like proles. When Mr. Wolfe first blazed onto the literary scene, many, if not most, male writers persisted in dressing like hardscrabble characters from a Clifford Odets play or possibly denizens of the cartoonist Al Capp’s mythical Outer Slobovia.
                                            Tom Wolfe, ‘New Journalist’ With Electric Style and Acid Pen, Dies at 88

In his use of novelistic techniques in his nonfiction, Mr. Wolfe, beginning in the 1960s, helped create the enormously influential hybrid known as the New Journalism.

But as an unabashed contrarian, he was almost as well known for his attire as his satire. He was instantly recognizable as he strolled down Madison Avenue — a tall, slender, blue-eyed, still boyish-looking man in his spotless three-piece vanilla bespoke suit, pinstriped silk shirt with a starched white high collar, bright handkerchief peeking from his breast pocket, watch on a fob, faux spats and white shoes. Once asked to describe his get-up, Mr. Wolfe replied brightly, “Neo-pretentious.”
                                            “As a titlist of flamboyance he is without peer in the Western world,” Joseph Epstein wrote in the The New Republic. “His prose style is normally shotgun baroque, sometimes edging over into machine-gun rococo, as in his article on Las Vegas which begins by repeating the word ‘hernia’ 57 times.”

William F. Buckley Jr., writing in National Review, put it more simply: “He is probably the most skillful writer in America — I mean by that he can do more things with words than anyone else.”

Comment

Originally posted by dshans View Post
                                              The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.
                                              Is that like where you take your electric football board and drink kool aid off of it??
                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                Is that like where you take your electric football board and drink kool aid off of it??

Sure, go ahead.

Just make sure that you're adequately grounded.

Comment

Chuck Knox former NFL HC just passed as did actor Joseph Campanella age 93. Campanella wasn't famous or a household name, but he was an easily recognized character actor in the 60's and 70's. He appeared in Route 66, Dallas, Mannix, The Fugitive and Mission Impossible to name a few shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                    Chuck Knox former NFL HC just passed as did actor Joseph Campanella age 93. Campanella wasn't famous or a household name, but he was an easily recognized character actor in the 60's and 70's. He appeared in Route 66, Dallas, Mannix, The Fugitive and Mission Impossible to name a few shows.
                                                    Had to google those two. I'm still young!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                      Had to google those two. I'm still young!!!
                                                      I could see Route 66 (60-64), because it wasn't on that long and I was pretty young, but The Fugitive? Harrison Ford wouldn't have been running from the law in 1993 if it weren't for the series.

Comment

Campanella was one of the most recognizable faces on TV during my younger days. One of those guys who appeared in dozens of different shows during the 60's & 70's.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/cl...cid=spartanntp

Actor Clint Walker died Monday at the age of 90. At 6'6" and built like an NFL defensive end, he often played the gentle giant, rough & tough but good-hearted cowboy, or a soldier. Starred in his own very popular Western TV series in the 50's & 60's, but was probably better known to later audiences for his role in The Dirty Dozen. By all accounts one of the all-around good guys in Hollywood during his era.

Comment

... and now Philip Roth.

Comment

John totalbuscuit Bain ......RIP

https://kotaku.com/game-critic-total...ied-1826310517

Comment

RIP...

Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post

Dunno anything about the guy, but saw someone post this yesterday:

Apparently he was a real dickhead. Hopefully he came around in his last months.

Comment

He was a you tube/gamer personality. Diagnosed with cancer 2-3 years ago. Has been interesting to watch that community circle the wagons around his illness

Comment

The Cradle has lost one of its sons. Bill Mallory passed today.

Mallory played for Ara at Miami and later coached Miami, Colorado, NIU and IU.

When I took my official visit to Miami, Mallory and his NIU Huskies shut out the Redskins, a couple of years later I went with some friends to Columbus when his Hoosier squad blew out a top 10 Buckeye squad, the following year, they blew em again the following year in Bloomington.

Was fortunate to see him speak at a few clinics, great speaker.

Coach Mallory was 82.

RIP

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We are saddened to learn about the passing of former Miami University coach and player Bill Mallory.<a href="https://t.co/r3XOYn7C93">https://t.co/r3XOYn7C93</a> <a href="https://t.co/TgiwLl8Q3A">pic.twitter.com/TgiwLl8Q3A</a></p>&mdash; Miami Football (@MiamiOHFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/MiamiOHFootball/status/1000118268915519488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Dwight Clark passed away.
                                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                        Dwight Clark passed away.
                                                                        aww shit...one of my all time favorites and Joe's too.

Comment

Originally posted by loomis41973 View Post
                                                                          aww shit...one of my all time favorites and Joe's too.

Way way to young.

Comment

not sure where else to put this.

Comment

• #89
                                                                              Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                              not sure where else to put this.

This is more savage than when ya'll gang up on Koon
                                                                              My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• #90
                                                                                all sorts of pain in that post

Comment

• #91
                                                                                  Anthony Bourdain RIP. He committed suicide in his hotel room in Strasbourg while he was there filming for his show.

There's a lot of pain and mental illness in the service industry, especially back of house. Tonight we'll be pouring one out for Bourdain.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

If you find yourself needing help, Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. There's also a crisis text line. You're not in this alone

Comment

• #92
                                                                                    It's awful that people keep choosing suicide as a solution.
                                                                                    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• #93
                                                                                      Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                                                      It's awful that people keep choosing suicide as a solution.
                                                                                      I think it only seems like a choice to you (and most others to be fair) because you're chemically balanced. To the afflicted, however, it's often the only escape.

Comment

• #94
                                                                                        I can't say I'm too surprised given his past work, he frequently talked about his depression/addictions/suicidal thoughts (even, practically, romanticized Hunter S Thompson).

This known, however, doesn't make it any less devastating. Perhaps, even more devastating. This is an example of someone who "appeared" to have conquered their depression, only to be hiding it once again.

Awareness and prevention is everything. We cannot back down for a second and think that someone has "gotten past it".

Comment

• #95
                                                                                          and still, most healthcare plans DONT cover "mental illness".
                                                                                          leaves people to either pay for all their psychiatrist visits, antidepressant drugs, rehabs, counseling etc.
                                                                                          basically, you are on your own unless you can afford to pay out of pocket.

Comment

• #96
                                                                                            Loved watching Anthony Bourdain... So sad to hear about this. Like others said, he was very open about his struggles and appeared to be conquering them. Sometimes, we will just never know...

Comment

• #97
                                                                                              Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                                                              I can't say I'm too surprised given his past work, he frequently talked about his depression/addictions/suicidal thoughts (even, practically, romanticized Hunter S Thompson).

This known, however, doesn't make it any less devastating. Perhaps, even more devastating. This is an example of someone who "appeared" to have conquered their depression, only to be hiding it once again.

Awareness and prevention is everything. We cannot back down for a second and think that someone has "gotten past it".
                                                                                              Every word of this... prob the least surprising celebrity suicide I've seen... but yeah...

Comment

• #98
                                                                                                Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                                                                I think it only seems like a choice to you (and most others to be fair) because you're chemically balanced. To the afflicted, however, it's often the only escape.
                                                                                                ... and a rational one at that.

Comment

• #99
                                                                                                  List of countries by suicide rate (all causes)

List of countries by firearm-related death rate (sorted by suicide rates) U.S. has by far and away the highest firearm-related suicide rates of developed countries (7.10). then Finland (2.94)

Suicide Mortality by State

Thanks, Anthony, for bringing the world's table and people to us.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Legacy; 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• First Bond Girl, Eunice Gayson, Dead

Was there another woman in Dr. No?

Sorry, I only had eyes for Ursula.

(CNN)Actress Eunice Gayson, the first Bond girl in the James Bond movies, has died, according to a tweet from the franchise's page. She was 90.

"We are so sad to learn that Eunice Gayson, our very first 'Bond girl' who played Sylvia Trench in DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE has passed away," producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said in a statement. "Our sincere thoughts are with her family."

The British actress passed away Friday, according to her Twitter page, which called her an "amazing lady who left a lasting impression on everyone she met. She will be very much missed."

It's unclear how Gayson died.

"Dr. No," released in 1962, was the film that started it all, with Sean Connery as Agent 007 in the series based on Ian Fleming's novels about a suave British spy.

Connery first uttered the iconic introduction, "Bond, James Bond," to Gayson's character in that movie, according to the BBC.
                                                                                                    She played the same part in the second Bond film, "From Russia With Love," in 1963.
                                                                                                    The actress had appeared earlier in the Hammer horror film "The Revenge of Frankenstein" (1958) with Peter Cushing and later in a number of popular British TV series such as "The Saint" and "The Avengers," according to Internet Movie Database.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X