Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sad news! Van Halen could put on a show! Gonna be missed.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Greenore View Post
      I saw them in Calgary at least ten years ago and he had just been through some throat surgery. Hagar stated that Eddie wasn't going to be doing too much talking. Immediately after that announcement Eddie lit up a cigarette. Shocked the hell out of me.

      He was truly an amazing and innovative guitarist. RIP.

      Cheers and Go Irish
      He was diagnosed with tongue cancer several years ago and had a large portion of his tongue removed. Not sure if it led to the throat cancer or if that arose totally on its own. He was a very heavy smoker for years and not known for taking good care of himself.
      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
        Sad news! Van Halen could put on a show! Gonna be missed.
        Hey Yankee,

        You're oldish. Are you old enough to have seen them around before they blew up? Can remember just how old you is. lol

        Saw some thing about them playing house/block parties all over SoCal before they popped.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
          He was diagnosed with tongue cancer several years ago and had a large portion of his tongue removed. Not sure if it led to the throat cancer or if that arose totally on its own. He was a very heavy smoker for years and not known for taking good care of himself.
          You rattled my brain Bishop. It was tongue cancer not throat cancer as I thought.

          Cheers and Go Irish!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
            Hey Yankee,

            You're oldish. Are you old enough to have seen them around before they blew up? Can remember just how old you is. lol

            Saw some thing about them playing house/block parties all over SoCal before they popped.
            Yup Crusader I guess would be considered one of the senior aged members on IE.

            Never had the chance to see them on the local club circuit. First time was at The Fabulous Forum so obviously they had already blown up by then. Van Halen was the shit for sure!

            David Lee Roth did go to my high school for a short time before he moved to the Pasadena area, but not long enough to be in a yearbook.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
              He was diagnosed with tongue cancer several years ago and had a large portion of his tongue removed. Not sure if it led to the throat cancer or if that arose totally on its own. He was a very heavy smoker for years and not known for taking good care of himself.
              I remember reading Sammy Hagerís autobiography and he recounted how EVH lived in an empty mansion w/ mattresses stood up to provide good acoustics but thatís about it. Poor diet & and couldnít control his alcohol intake. He sounded like a homeless person w/ a home if that makes sense.

              They were my favorite band growing up whether it was DLR or Hagar. Loved them both. T-shirt, blue jeans rock & roll at itís finest. If I know Sammy, heíll have something special planned to honor his former band mate.

              Comment


              • I remember hearing Running with the Devil when it was released in 78. Their best song IMO.
                RIP Rocker!
                Last edited by Irish#1; 10-06-2020, 07:25 PM.

                Comment


                • RIP EVH.

                  Was my favorite band by far through the 80s. Running with the Devil, And The Cradle.., Jump, Summer Nights, and so many more take me right back to specific moments. Still know every word to every song of most of their albums.

                  <iframe width="600" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L9r-NxuYszg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                    RIP EVH.

                    Was my favorite band by far through the 80s. Running with the Devil, And The Cradle.., Jump, Summer Nights, and so many more take me right back to specific moments. Still know every word to every song of most of their albums.

                    <iframe width="600" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L9r-NxuYszg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                    It's like hitting ten 100 mph fastballs in a row... all over the wall. He was that good!

                    Cheers and Go Irish!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                      It's like hitting ten 100 mph fastballs in a row... all over the wall. He was that good!

                      Cheers and Go Irish!!
                      Yup. Saw them several times. All were glorious. Eddie was electric. Couldn't ask for a more entertaining group, and Eddie played his part well. Had some really good up close seats in 84 at MSA, which was one of my earliest true rock concerts. Around the same time, saw Scorpions/Bon Jovi and IIRC, Quiet Riot was there too. Amazing summer. I still remember the opening song of VH in 84 (Unchained). That was a great summer and "I wanna go back" (saw Eddie Money too around that time with 38 Special lol).
                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                      Comment


                      • My top five Van Halen songs:
                        Runnin' with Devil
                        Jamie's Cryin'
                        Unchained
                        Dance the Night Away
                        Everybody Wants Some!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
                          My top five Van Halen songs:
                          Runnin' with Devil
                          Jamie's Cryin'
                          Unchained
                          Dance the Night Away
                          Everybody Wants Some!!
                          It would hurt my head to try and come up with a top 5.
                          Even some of the deeper tracks like Take Your Whiskey Home, Ice Cream Man, Little Dreamer, Women in Love, Little Guitars, and Top Jimmy are all killer.

                          I also separate Van Halen and Van Hagar when thinking about VH. Love both, but two very different sounds. Summer Nights though is definitely in my top 5
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
                            My top five Van Halen songs:
                            Runnin' with Devil
                            Jamie's Cryin'
                            Unchained
                            Dance the Night Away
                            Everybody Wants Some!!
                            Panama
                            Hot for teacher
                            Black and blue
                            Jamie's Cryin'
                            Pretty woman

                            Comment


                            • It's now being reported that Eddie had also been battling lung cancer and that over the last few days his condition worsened dramatically as doctors discovered it had spread to several organs, including his brain.
                              Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                                Panama
                                Hot for teacher
                                Black and blue
                                Jamie's Cryin'
                                Pretty woman
                                Mean Street
                                Summer Nights
                                Unchained
                                5150
                                Cathedral
                                I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

                                Comment


                                • Really enjoyed Pretty Woman much more than the Roy Orbison version. Don't forget he was married to Valerie Bertinelli for quite a while. She's held up well over the years.

                                  Comment


                                  • First saw VH on June 11, 1988 at the now torn down JFK stadium in Philly. Just found a bootleg version of the whole show on YouTube. Opener was Summer Nights. Great show

                                    Comment


                                    • I have seen VH at least a dozen times. All shows were rocking. I liked both versions but prefer the Hagar version a little more but always thought Fair Warning may be their best record. I have seen two opening bands get booed of the stage. I even saw a headliners encore get exclusive chants for Van Halen even though they were a opening act. That was when they opened for Black Sabbath in the early years and pretty much blew them off the stage.

                                      Comment


                                      • I guess President Tyler’s grandson died recently,... one of those cool historical points where a President from the 1840’s still had living grandchildren.
                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                        Comment


                                        • Johnny Nash, singer of "I Can See Clearly Now", passed yesterday. Mostly buried under EVH's news.

                                          Comment


                                          • Wow, that is rare I would think! The grandson thing.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by ARALOU View Post
                                              I have seen VH at least a dozen times. All shows were rocking. I liked both versions but prefer the Hagar version a little more but always thought Fair Warning may be their best record. I have seen two opening bands get booed of the stage. I even saw a headliners encore get exclusive chants for Van Halen even though they were a opening act. That was when they opened for Black Sabbath in the early years and pretty much blew them off the stage.
                                              I saw Alice In Chains get booed pretty bad back in the early 90s when they opened for VH. Unbelievable.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by ARALOU View Post
                                                I have seen VH at least a dozen times. All shows were rocking. I liked both versions but prefer the Hagar version a little more but always thought Fair Warning may be their best record. I have seen two opening bands get booed of the stage. I even saw a headliners encore get exclusive chants for Van Halen even though they were a opening act. That was when they opened for Black Sabbath in the early years and pretty much blew them off the stage.
                                                I've seen them several times, but a dozen is wow. I remember the VH/BS tour and was too young to go. What's interesting, is that while I normally remember opening acts for most of the early concerts back then, I don't have a good memory of opening acts for VH. I think it's just because they were so incredible and blew everyone else away. I think Ratt opened up for them one time, or maybe it was Cinderella. I still have my Ts from 1984 and 5150 still somewhere in the attic. I saw Ozzy a few times and thought they were incredible.
                                                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                Comment


                                                • I saw them with Alice on Chains, Chains killed it and did Man in the Box as an encore. We had no idea who they were until that played. We saw them 3 times in one year traveling around. Some friends worked for the airlines and got tickets real cheap. The ones that didn't get cheap plane seats got to share a room for free. I have seen Nugent several times but probably won't go to any more shows at all. The last one I went to was Thorogood in a smaller venue. I also saw Ted in the same place a year or two before. It was on second avenue in Nashville.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by ARALOU View Post
                                                    I saw them with Alice on Chains, Chains killed it and did Man in the Box as an encore. We had no idea who they were until that played. We saw them 3 times in one year traveling around. Some friends worked for the airlines and got tickets real cheap. The ones that didn't get cheap plane seats got to share a room for free. I have seen Nugent several times but probably won't go to any more shows at all. The last one I went to was Thorogood in a smaller venue. I also saw Ted in the same place a year or two before. It was on second avenue in Nashville.
                                                    Can you sew them shut?

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Yankees great Whitey Ford has left us. 91, my all time favorite pitcher. Going to join one hell of a lineup up there.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                        Yankees great Whitey Ford has left us. 91, my all time favorite pitcher. Going to join one hell of a lineup up there.
                                                        Sad news! Baseball has been losing a lot of their legends of late. I have a baseball in my collection signed by Whitey Ford.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Man, this sucks...Joe Morgan...RIP.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Make it stop! Not Joe. He was my hero when I was little. Used to cock my elbow just him. This is gut wrenching. Little League was my childhood and Joe's at the top of 70's baseball for me along with his Big Red Machine teammates.

                                                            He was also just as good a broadcaster as a player. He and Jon Miller were one of the greatest broadcast teams in any sport ever. They made Sunday Night Baseball a guaranteed watch for me for half my life it seems.

                                                            RIP Joe.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • I used to put Joe Morgan at Second Base on my all-time Baseball All-Star teams. Bench was the catcher.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Tom Seaver, Whitey Ford and Joe Morgan in the same month. This has to stop

                                                                Sorry...just saw Seaver passed away Aug 31....but still.......
                                                                Last edited by Senoj13; 10-12-2020, 02:12 PM.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                  Make it stop! Not Joe. He was my hero when I was little. Used to cock my elbow just him. This is gut wrenching. Little League was my childhood and Joe's at the top of 70's baseball for me along with his Big Red Machine teammates.

                                                                  He was also just as good a broadcaster as a player. He and Jon Miller were one of the greatest broadcast teams in any sport ever. They made Sunday Night Baseball a guaranteed watch for me for half my life it seems.

                                                                  RIP Joe.
                                                                  I am right there with ya. I played second and had the tiny glove just like him. I went to a Big Red Machine camp when I was young - it was amazing, they would never do this in today's world, but we got to spend about 30 minutes with a player from the Big Red Machine that played your position. Most of the position groups had back-up players show up. Joe, Johnny Bench and Geronimo were the only three stars that took part in the camp. Joe taught me how to trap the ball between my glove and barehand on double plays instead of actually catching the ball. I was probably 7 or 8 at the time.
                                                                  I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

                                                                  This one made me hurt inside.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Tom Terrific is probably throwing Little Joe some BP at the ballpark in Heaven as I type. Whitey Ford getting lose in the pen.

                                                                    RIP.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                      Make it stop! Not Joe. He was my hero when I was little. Used to cock my elbow just him. This is gut wrenching. Little League was my childhood and Joe's at the top of 70's baseball for me along with his Big Red Machine teammates.

                                                                      He was also just as good a broadcaster as a player. He and Jon Miller were one of the greatest broadcast teams in any sport ever. They made Sunday Night Baseball a guaranteed watch for me for half my life it seems.

                                                                      RIP Joe.
                                                                      Far too young to have the pleasure of watching him play but he was so damn good for Sunday Night Baseball. There are only a couple of sports voices that I will always carry with me and Joe Morgan on Sunday Night Baseball is one of them.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                        Far too young to have the pleasure of watching him play but he was so damn good for Sunday Night Baseball. There are only a couple of sports voices that I will always carry with me and Joe Morgan on Sunday Night Baseball is one of them.

                                                                        I&rsquo;m in the same boat as you. Looked forward to Sunday nights baseball growing up with Joe Morgan and Jon Miller. This is very sad Joe Morgan died and he is to young to have passed. RIP


                                                                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Saw The Big Red Machine play in Atlanta with Hank Aaron. Had some great pics that have unfortunately been lost thru the years.

                                                                          RIP Joe
                                                                          Admit it. You looked at the avatar first.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                            Tom Terrific is probably throwing Little Joe some BP at the ballpark in Heaven as I type. Whitey Ford getting lose in the pen.

                                                                            RIP.
                                                                            Whitey out of the pen? Ha!

                                                                            Being a Yankees fan I had a dislike for the Big Red Machine, but there were very few second basemen that had the speed and power of Joe. He was the heart and soul of the Reds. RIP Joe.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Hate to be morbid but these have been hitting hard since Boseman,... Someone better bubble wrap Hank Aaron and Eric Clapton,... I don’t think I could take either of my guys right now.
                                                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                Hate to be morbid but these have been hitting hard since Boseman,... Someone better bubble wrap Hank Aaron and Eric Clapton,... I donít think I could take either of my guys right now.
                                                                                Don'tttt.......

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • The Big Red Machine..... lordamercy... what a great era.
                                                                                  Pete Rose
                                                                                  Johnny Bench
                                                                                  Joe Morgan
                                                                                  Ken Griffey
                                                                                  Dave Concepcion
                                                                                  Tony Perez

                                                                                  I went to plenty of games at Riverfront as a child unfortunately I missed this era by about 4 years.
                                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • The Heavenly Hall of Fame continues to grow. Unreal. I had no idea Morgan had been ill. He set the standard for all around 2B play in the modern era.

                                                                                    Back-to-back MVP in 75-76. Most forget he was an AS w/ the Colt 45s/Astros before being traded to Cincinnati. Not a Reds fan but always loved Morgan & his style of play.

                                                                                    Ford didn’t shock me as he had to be approaching 90 and wasn’t in the public anymore. He was the ace of a ton of WS Champ Yankee teams. Seems like he pitched forever.

                                                                                    I wasn’t surprised at Seaver’s passing either. I watched the video of his Mets teammates visiting him at his vineyard in CA when he was struggling w/ Alzheimer’s. Really bittersweet to watch.

                                                                                    IIRC, Brock had been battling diabetes & may have had an amputation of part of his leg. How ironic for an athlete who accomplished so much w/ his legs. Great all-around player and involved in one of the worst trades the Cubs ever made...to their rival no less....Lou Brock to STL for pitcher Ernie Broglio.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                      The Big Red Machine..... lordamercy... what a great era.
                                                                                      Pete Rose
                                                                                      Johnny Bench
                                                                                      Joe Morgan
                                                                                      Ken Griffey
                                                                                      Dave Concepcion
                                                                                      Tony Perez

                                                                                      I went to plenty of games at Riverfront as a child unfortunately I missed this era by about 4 years.
                                                                                      A public shaming is order for your omission of one George Foster.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                                        A public shaming is order for your omission of one George Foster.
                                                                                        Well deserved :(
                                                                                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                                          A public shaming is order for your omission of one George Foster.
                                                                                          Got to meet Foster at a baseball banquet years ago. It also included Gary Matthews & Steve Garvey. They were honorary captains for the National Amatuer All-Star Baseball Tournament that showcased future college/pro players back in the mid-90s. The keynote speaker at the banquet was Bruce Jenner.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Bruce Jenner? Never heard of her.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                              I went to plenty of games at Riverfront as a child unfortunately I missed this era by about 4 years.
                                                                                              Went to a Reds/Cubs game at Crosley Field (67?) before it was replaced by Riverfront. Left field had an actual rise of about 1-2 feet near the wall. Talk about home field advantage. Saw Bench, Rose, Perez Vada Pinson, Ernie Banks, Kessinger, Ron Santo and Billy Williams. I don't think I fully appreciated all the great players I was watching at that time.

                                                                                              Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                                              The Heavenly Hall of Fame continues to grow. Unreal. I had no idea Morgan had been ill. He set the standard for all around 2B play in the modern era.

                                                                                              Back-to-back MVP in 75-76. Most forget he was an AS w/ the Colt 45s/Astros before being traded to Cincinnati. Not a Reds fan but always loved Morgan & his style of play.

                                                                                              Ford didnít shock me as he had to be approaching 90 and wasnít in the public anymore. He was the ace of a ton of WS Champ Yankee teams. Seems like he pitched forever.

                                                                                              I wasnít surprised at Seaverís passing either. I watched the video of his Mets teammates visiting him at his vineyard in CA when he was struggling w/ Alzheimerís. Really bittersweet to watch.

                                                                                              IIRC, Brock had been battling diabetes & may have had an amputation of part of his leg. How ironic for an athlete who accomplished so much w/ his legs. Great all-around player and involved in one of the worst trades the Cubs ever made...to their rival no less....Lou Brock to STL for pitcher Ernie Broglio.
                                                                                              Ford was 91.

                                                                                              I forgot that Morgan was a Houston Colt 45. Always hated that they changed their name to coincide with the Astrodome.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Spencer Davis of The Spencer Davis group died in hospital at the age of 81 after being treated for pneumonia. They had several huge hits. Gimme Some Lovin' is my favorite.

                                                                                                RIP Spencer.


                                                                                                https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/enter...gbr/index.html

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Yeah that’s an all timer great song, RIP
                                                                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                    Spencer Davis of The Spencer Davis group died in hospital at the age of 81 after being treated for pneumonia. They had several huge hits. Gimme Some Lovin' is my favorite.

                                                                                                    RIP Spencer.


                                                                                                    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/enter...gbr/index.html
                                                                                                    Great song. Didnít that feature Steve Winwood on vocals? He was (IIRC) 16-yrs old w/ the voice of an old blues artist.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Yes that was SW on vocals...
                                                                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X