Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
    Mr. Miami Dolphin. He leaves us with his 72' Dolphins still the NFL's only perfect team.

    Comment


    • Fifty years ago the Ohio National Guard opened fire on students protesting the Vietnam War, killing four. America was never the same.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Legacy View Post
        Fifty years ago the Ohio National Guard opened fire on students protesting the Vietnam War, killing four. America was never the same.
        Remember it well.

        <iframe width="859" height="483" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TRE9vMBBe10" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
          Remember it well.

          <iframe width="859" height="483" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TRE9vMBBe10" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>


          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PEC1C4p0k3E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

          In the 1st 25 seconds... they cheer at something we are yet to understand today.
          I was smarter when I drank...
          I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Circa View Post
            <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PEC1C4p0k3E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

            In the 1st 25 seconds... they cheer at something we are yet to understand today.


            Socialism Is not an answer. The torch was passed and peace should be the small undoing.
            I was smarter when I drank...
            I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

            Comment


            • Mike Storen passed away today at 84

              Graduated from ND in the late 50's, was part of Terry Brennan's program for a year or two.

              Father of ESPN's Hannah Storm.

              Was from my hometown of Michigan City, IN. MC's had a rough year losing Dick Tomey, Don Larsen & now Mr. Storen.

              He was a longtime NBA & ABA executive. Was GM of numerous NBA/ABA franchises (including #1's Pacers) and the Commissioner of the ABA, CBA and the Indoor Pro Football League.

              RIP Mr Storen.

              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Your Dad was a legend...seriously. RIP. <a href="https://t.co/kkINrXiRTJ">https://t.co/kkINrXiRTJ</a></p>&mdash; chuck swirsky (@ctsbulls) <a href="https://twitter.com/ctsbulls/status/1258607936512954369?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

              Comment


              • Remember him quite well. He was Business Manager for the NBA Cincinnati Royals when he was offered the GM job with the Pacers. Left the Pacers in '70 to take the GM job with the Kentucky Colonels.

                Was also instrumental behind the scenes in keeping the Pacers alive with a telethon in '77. NBA had set admission requirements so steep the four teams, Pacers, Spurs, Nuggets and Nets barely had enough money to operate. Pacers put on a telethon with Slick Leonard as host. The rest as they say is history.

                http://www.espn.com/30for30/film/_/p...knancytelethon

                RIP

                Comment


                • Brian Howe, singer and former Bad Company frontman, dies at 66

                  Took over after Paul Rodgers left the band.

                  https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/enter...rnd/index.html

                  Comment


                  • Roy Horn passed away from Covid-19 today. He was half of the Siegfried & Roy tiger training and magic duo. Roy was the one who was attacked and severely injured by one of their tigers in 2003.
                    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                      Roy Horn passed away from Covid-19 today. He was half of the Siegfried & Roy tiger training and magic duo. Roy was the one who was attacked and severely injured by one of their tigers in 2003.

                      This is sad news. S&R were the face of Las Vegas when I started going there years ago, and they will always be one of the first things that comes to mind when I think about The Strip. True legends.

                      *Roy was one of the toughest SOBs out there. He fought so hard after the infamous attack injury that should have killed him, and even continued to perform in a very minor capacity, because he loved it so much.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • Little Richard, Founding Father of Rock Who Broke Musical Barriers, Dead at 87 (Rolling Stone)

                        Good Golly.
                        Last edited by Legacy; 05-09-2020, 01:54 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Little Richard had as big of an influence on the future of rock & roll as anybody. What a showman and over-the-top personality. Without him there wouldn't have been a Jagger, Elton or Prince.
                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                            Roy Horn passed away from Covid-19 today. He was half of the Siegfried & Roy tiger training and magic duo. Roy was the one who was attacked and severely injured by one of their tigers in 2003.
                            Just think. If we all turned back time to the early 90's late 80's... He would have died from HIV.

                            Can we just appreciate the facts of matter and say he died beause he wasn't Ironman? Mortality on the left/right has become Cumbersome....
                            I was smarter when I drank...
                            I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Circa View Post
                              Just think. If we all turned back time to the early 90's late 80's... He would have died from HIV.

                              Can we just appreciate the facts of matter and say he died beause he wasn't Ironman? Mortality on the left/right has become Cumbersome....
                              What???
                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                What???
                                What do ya mean... what? The mortality rate of people (elderly) hasn't changed. The politics of death has. Wake Up.
                                Last edited by Circa; 05-09-2020, 03:56 PM.
                                I was smarter when I drank...
                                I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                Comment


                                • He actually died from cancer, it has since been published. He was staying with his brother in Nashville. He had been living in a small town outside of Nashville for quite some time. I have seen him (been awhile) riding around in the town I live in. I also think his last public performance was here. Murfreesboro Tn.

                                  Comment


                                  • Wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom!

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                      What???

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Circa View Post
                                        What do ya mean... what? The mortality rate of people (elderly) hasn't changed. The politics of death has. Wake Up.
                                        Color me confused as well.

                                        Comment


                                        • I apologize. and...
                                          YES I'm good at apologizing... over some spilled milk BS.
                                          But, what are we talking about at this day and age? I'm not going to follow because of some lame BS that sounds good.

                                          I still have yet to find any real scientific evidence that Covid 19 is the reason.

                                          I am sorry. Death Is a reality I'm looking more and more forward to. Especially In this time.
                                          People seem to be loosing their own self trying to make a political statement and then they want to have a sound bite...
                                          I have lost interest In the human struggle around these lies....


                                          Nobody I have ever met has died from this political virus.

                                          I do personally know 1 person that has died from the past political wishy wash.
                                          Last edited by Circa; 05-09-2020, 09:11 PM.
                                          I was smarter when I drank...
                                          I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                          Comment


                                          • You don’t have to apologize C,... you’re just,... difficult to follow, at times.
                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Circa View Post
                                              I apologize. and...
                                              YES I'm good at apologizing... over some spilled milk BS.
                                              But, what are we talking about at this day and age? I'm not going to follow because of some lame BS that sounds good.

                                              I still have yet to find any real scientific evidence that Covid 19 is the reason.

                                              I am sorry. Death Is a reality I'm looking more and more forward to. Especially In this time.
                                              People seem to be loosing their own self trying to make a political statement and then they want to have a sound bite...
                                              I have lost interest In the human struggle around these lies....


                                              Nobody I have ever met has died from this political virus.

                                              I do personally know 1 person that has died from the past political wishy wash.
                                              Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                              You donít have to apologize C,... youíre just,... difficult to follow, at times.
                                              I think an apology is appropriate. This is the RIP thread, not the COVID thread. People post in here to recognize the passing of someone and that persons contributions.

                                              Comment


                                              • This one hurts, Jerry Stiller has died of natural causes.

                                                https://www.etonline.com/jerry-still...onfirms-146326

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                  This one hurts, Jerry Stiller has died of natural causes.

                                                  https://www.etonline.com/jerry-still...onfirms-146326
                                                  Great career. Loved him in Seinfeld.

                                                  Actor and comedian Jerry Stiller has died due to natural causes, his son, actor Ben Stiller said in a tweet. He was 92.

                                                  "He was a great dad and grandfather, and the most dedicated husband to Anne for about 62 years. He will be greatly missed. Love you Dad," the tweet read.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                    This one hurts, Jerry Stiller has died of natural causes.

                                                    https://www.etonline.com/jerry-still...onfirms-146326
                                                    Was there a better cast sitcom than Seinfeld? I still watch a couple episodes every evening.

                                                    Also, I loved M*A*S*H... very solid and great cast.

                                                    These two shows, in my honest opinion, are timeless and have aged very well.

                                                    Festivus has lost a great leader and I loved Jerry's '68 GTO. A couple of great feature episodes. Thanks for the laughs Mr. Stiller and RIP.

                                                    Cheers and Go Irish!!

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                                                      Was there a better cast sitcom than Seinfeld? I still watch a couple episodes every evening.
                                                      Frasier

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                                                        Was there a better cast sitcom than Seinfeld? I still watch a couple episodes every evening.

                                                        Also, I loved M*A*S*H... very solid and great cast.

                                                        These two shows, in my honest opinion, are timeless and have aged very well.

                                                        Festivus has lost a great leader and I loved Jerry's '68 GTO. A couple of great feature episodes. Thanks for the laughs Mr. Stiller and RIP.

                                                        Cheers and Go Irish!!
                                                        Cheers had a better cast IMO. If we're talking strictly a better sitcom, then no. Seinfeld is as good as it gets. M*A*S*H was great, but slowly went down after Wayne Rogers left and Mike Farrell came on. Farrell was a big part of why the show transformed into a sounding board for his politics.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                                          Frasier
                                                          This. And Everybody Loves Raymond.
                                                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Bob Watson, a former MLB player and general manager, has died. He was 74.

                                                            The two-time All-Star died Thursday in Houston, according to the Astros.
                                                            "This is a very sad day for the Astros and for all of baseball. Bob Watson enjoyed a unique and remarkable career in Major League Baseball that spanned six decades, reaching success at many different levels, including as a player, coach, general manager and MLB executive," the Astros said in a statement.

                                                            He is survived by his wife, Carol; his daughter, Kelley; and his son, Keith.

                                                            Watson made his major league debut with the Astros in 1966 and played with the franchise for 14 seasons. Nicknamed "The Bull," he made the All-Star team in 1973 and 1975.

                                                            He hit more than .300 four times and reached 100 RBI in a season twice. He also holds the distinction of scoring the MLB's one millionth run on May 4, 1975 in a game against the San Francisco Giants. Watson went on to play for the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees. He retired from the Atlanta Braves in 1984.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                              Bob Watson, a former MLB player and general manager, has died. He was 74.

                                                              The two-time All-Star died Thursday in Houston, according to the Astros.
                                                              "This is a very sad day for the Astros and for all of baseball. Bob Watson enjoyed a unique and remarkable career in Major League Baseball that spanned six decades, reaching success at many different levels, including as a player, coach, general manager and MLB executive," the Astros said in a statement.

                                                              He is survived by his wife, Carol; his daughter, Kelley; and his son, Keith.

                                                              Watson made his major league debut with the Astros in 1966 and played with the franchise for 14 seasons. Nicknamed "The Bull," he made the All-Star team in 1973 and 1975.

                                                              He hit more than .300 four times and reached 100 RBI in a season twice. He also holds the distinction of scoring the MLB's one millionth run on May 4, 1975 in a game against the San Francisco Giants. Watson went on to play for the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees. He retired from the Atlanta Braves in 1984.
                                                              He had some very good, All-Star years in my era of hardcore card collecting. His MLB career is within weeks on both ends of my birth and starting my college career. That's a good run.

                                                              RIP

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Former Stanford safety Zach Hoffpauir died yesterday at just 26 years old (No cause listed yet)

                                                                He was one of the greatest HS athletes I've ever seen. A one man wrecking crew at Centennial high here in AZ. Lost in what may be the best HS game I've ever seen to Davonte Neal and my local school, Scottsdale Chaparral 31-30 in the state playoffs.

                                                                Had something like 15 Int's playing big boy ball his Jr/Sr seasons while playing both ways at RB.

                                                                And he was an even better baseball player. Batted .400+ all 4 years of HS. Was drafted twice. Joined the DBacks while at Stanford and took a year off to play before coming back for his 5th year. Was often injured for Stanford football but had one really solid year for thim before taking his baseball sabbatical. Football injuries probably cost him a solid baseball career.

                                                                Was currently the DB coach at Northern Colorado under one of his best friend's Dad and fellow Stanford alum, Ed McCaffrey.

                                                                RIP

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                                                                  Was there a better cast sitcom than Seinfeld? I still watch a couple episodes every evening.

                                                                  Also, I loved M*A*S*H... very solid and great cast.

                                                                  These two shows, in my honest opinion, are timeless and have aged very well.

                                                                  Festivus has lost a great leader and I loved Jerry's '68 GTO. A couple of great feature episodes. Thanks for the laughs Mr. Stiller and RIP.

                                                                  Cheers and Go Irish!!
                                                                  I love Seinfeld and watch on Hulu every chance I get. Great cast and some memorable episodes. Easily my favorite comedy.

                                                                  Cheers is near the top but lost some of it's luster as the constant sexual tension between Sam and Diane/Rebecca kinda wore on too much. But Norm, Woody, and Cliff were great characters as was Coach before his passing.

                                                                  Side note: my cousin grew up with Woody and she said his on screen personality was very much true to his real life personality at the time.

                                                                  MASH was hit or miss with me. Farrell kinda ruined it with his political views fused in. Still, the other characters were pure gold at times.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                    Brian Howe, singer and former Bad Company frontman, dies at 66

                                                                    Took over after Paul Rodgers left the band.

                                                                    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/enter...rnd/index.html
                                                                    I actually preferred the Howe era of Bad Company. Holy Water was a terrific album to me.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Great character actor and made me laugh often. I'm getting too old because I would have guessed he was in his late '60's early '70's. Thanks for all the laughs Mr. Willard and Rest in Eternal Peace.

                                                                      Cheers and Go Irish!!

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • I loved Willard as Amy's dad on Everybody Loves Raymond. He was in a ton of stuff over the years. I had no idea he was that old.
                                                                        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Former Miss America and TV personality Phyllis George has passed away at the age of 70. I worked with her stepson, John Y Brown III, one summer during college.
                                                                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                            Former Miss America and TV personality Phyllis George has passed away at the age of 70. I worked with her stepson, John Y Brown III, one summer during college.
                                                                            Phyllis George was hot. IIRC she was on the CBS football pregame and did the CBS news in the morning. Was married to Brown, the governor of Kentucky.

                                                                            RIP

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Ken Osmond, the actor who played Eddie Haskell on Leave It To Beaver, has passed away at the age of 76. No cause of death has been announced, but he'd been having some health issues for awhile.
                                                                              Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Eddie, one of the original troublemakers who never seemed to get the blame. A couple of unknown facts about Ken Osmond. His appearance on LITB was supposed to be for one episode. The response was so great they made it a regular part of the show. He did so well, that he was typecasted and found acting roles hard to get, so he joined the LAPD.

                                                                                "You're looking lovely Mrs. Cleaver". RIP Eddie Haskell.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • RIP: Gentle Ben Williams, who broke football color line at Ole Miss, became ‘Colonel Rebel’

                                                                                  Williams, from Yazoo City, and James Reed, a running back from Meridian, were the first two African Americans recruited to play football at Ole Miss in 1971. Williams, who possessed remarkable quickness and speed to go with his brute strength, was the first to play as a freshman in the 1972 season, just 10 years after James Meredith integrated the university amid a riot. Williams started as a freshman, made All-SEC the next three years, All-American as a senior.
                                                                                  And this will tell you so much about Ben Williams: As a senior, in 1976, he was voted “Colonel Rebel” – equivalent to Mr. Ole Miss – by the student body.

                                                                                  Ben Williams was elected Colonel Rebel in 1976. Here he is pictured with Barbara Biggs, who was Miss Ole Miss.



                                                                                  “His teammates loved him, his coaches loved him,” Carmody said. “Obviously, he was really popular on campus, as well. The only people who didn’t love him were the guys who had to play against him.”

                                                                                  Jackson dentist Roger Parkes was a junior football player at Ole Miss when Williams and Reed signed with the Rebels making the university the last in the SEC to break the color line in football.

                                                                                  “Both Ben and James and were good guys as well as players, but Ben was the first to make a big contribution on the field,” Parkes said. “He was just a physically superior dude. One man was not going to block him and sometimes two people couldn’t do it. He threw people around like rag dolls.
                                                                                  Racial Integration of College Football
                                                                                  Last edited by Legacy; 05-19-2020, 12:07 PM.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • This was a few days ago, but I just came across this. The passing of a true hero, Ron Shurer. Former MOH awardee.

                                                                                    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ancer-dies-41/
                                                                                    I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                                                                                      This was a few days ago, but I just came across this. The passing of a true hero, Ron Shurer. Former MOH awardee.

                                                                                      https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ancer-dies-41/
                                                                                      You can have the best technology in the world, but it's guys like Shurer that makes our military the greatest in the world.

                                                                                      RIP

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Barbara Biggs Tho,....
                                                                                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Not sure if there are any Utah Jazz fans out there. Jerry Sloan passed away from complications from Parkinson's disease and Lewy body dementia.

                                                                                          https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...an-dies-age-78

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                                                            Not sure if there are any Utah Jazz fans out there. Jerry Sloan passed away from complications from Parkinson's disease and Lewy body dementia.

                                                                                            https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...an-dies-age-78
                                                                                            Didn't realize that Sloan had accepted the University of Evansville coaching job in 1977. He only had the job a few days before he ended up changing his mind. That season was when the entire Evansville basketball team was killed in a plane crash.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Played at Evansville before going to the NBA where he was a pretty good player. IIRC played for the Bulls.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Big part of my basketball life. The first basketball team I was a fan of was the Bulls. Living just outside of Chicago, him & Norm Van Lier were the first big influences on me when I started playing basketball.

                                                                                                My family's from Evansville and it's hard to describe how big Sloan & the Purple Aces were in EVille. I think it was in an SI story that mentioned UE's attendance was top 10 in the nation during the 60's-70's even though they were in the College Division. I originally committed to UE but pulled an Abiara 4 months later. Ironic that I'm writing this on an ND site but my game was modeled after two guys, Jerry Sloan and Bill Hanzlik.

                                                                                                Later on in life, he was obviously the Bulls opponent during the last two Finals. Game 6 of the '98 Finals was the last game where I considered myself a fan of a basketball team, pro or college. So I guess my fandom started and ended with Sloan.

                                                                                                One of my bucket list sports memorabilia items is to find a period correct Aces #52 sleeved jersey like Sloan wore. I have his #4 Bulls framed.

                                                                                                RIP Jerry

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • RIP Jerry

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • This past week, a Hawaii musical-legend died. Willie K was honestly kind of an asshole in real life, but his voice was amazing. If you saw the last episode of "Parts Unknown" that takes place in Hawaii, Willie K is the guy singing at the family gathering.

                                                                                                    His version of O Holy Night is, in my opinion, the greatest version of all time:

                                                                                                    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jAMwsBPfRIc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X