This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP...

Not every celebrity death is notable enough to merit its own thread, so I thought I'd start a thread for the rest. Please feel free to add any notable deaths when they happen.

Former Partridge Family star David Cassidy passed away at the age of 67 this past weekend. Cassidy announced about a year ago that he had been diagnosed with dementia, but his death was from organ failure.

Jim Nabors of Gomer Pyle fame died last night at the age of 87. Cause of death hasn't been announced, but he'd been dealing with age-related health issues the past few years.

Both were huge stars during my early years. RIP to both of them.
    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Good thread.

Robert Guillaume. "Seems Like Old Times" was always one of those Saturday/Sunday afternoon movies that was on a local station. I grew to appreciate that movie. He was obviously in other stuff, but that movie always makes me laugh.

Comment

RIP from this Hoosier to one of the greatest honorary Hoosiers of all.

Hopefully Jim Cornelison will carry the torch for another 30+ years!

<iframe width="600" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7wcgaRkHAWY" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
      Last edited by BobbyMac; 11-30-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishog77 View Post
        Good thread.

Robert Guillaume. "Seems Like Old Times" was always one of those Saturday/Sunday afternoon movies that was on a local station. I grew to appreciate that movie. He was obviously in other stuff, but that movie always makes me laugh.
        I didn't realize Guillaume had passed until you mentioned it. He always seemed a low-key, genuine sorta guy who thought of himself as a working actor instead of a big star.
        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Keith Jackson, the voice of college football for my generation, died last night at the age of 89. Whoa nelly and thanks for so many wonderful Saturday afternoons.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp

Comment

Fast Eddie Clarke of Motorhead passed earlier this week.
            All of the primary members are now gone. While Lemmy was part of the true originals, Eddie and Philthy came on early and became the real threesome. Good stuff. They don't make'em like they used too.

[IMG]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jRRyoP-e53E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]
            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
              Keith Jackson, the voice of college football for my generation, died last night at the age of 89. Whoa nelly and thanks for so many wonderful Saturday afternoons.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp
              Definitely in my top 10 announcers of all time. He was one of the "Granddaddy's"

Comment

John Mahoney, the dad on Frasier, passed away Sunday at the age of 77.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...cid=spartanntp

Comment

Loved him in "She's the One," which by the way, I've always felt was an underrated movie.

Comment

I love "Frasier" and I've probably watched every episode at least five times. I've watched the finale episodes at least ten times. To me, "Goodnight Seattle" is the second-best finale of any show I've watched.

I have to believe the emotion that John Mahoney showed when he says "thank you, Frasier" was absolutely real. Couldn't find an actual clip, but the promo showed that scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rGP_qEy44FQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gets me every time.

Comment

He had done a lot of smaller parts in TV and the movies before landing in such a big hit. Frasier was a perfect fit for Cheers before getting spun off.

Comment

Dennis Edwards of The Contours and The Temptations passed yesterday... He was pretty badass on papa was a rolling stone...
                        like 7 eleven...not always doing business but always open....

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn10 View Post
                          Dennis Edwards of The Contours and The Temptations passed yesterday... He was pretty badass on papa was a rolling stone...
                          Temptations, one of my all time favorite groups. They helped make Motown.

Comment

Edwards was the guy that replaced Ruffin correct? Crazy story that one...
                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                              Edwards was the guy that replaced Ruffin correct? Crazy story that one...
                              Correct. Edwards was a very talented guy who was a lot easier to deal with than Ruffin, who had some chemical and ego issues... and by some I mean a whole flippin' trainload of chemical and ego issues.

Comment

Billy Graham... surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...
                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                  Billy Graham... surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...
                                  I literally just remembered on Monday that he was still alive.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord...

Comment

Man, I thought he was already gone. RIP.

Comment

Paranormal radio host Art Bell died last night at 72. Loved listening to his show 20 years ago when I worked the overnight shift at a hotel while in college. I'm sure there are other former Coast to Coast listeners around here.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/art-b...eath-dies-how/

Comment

Art Bell and the kingdom of nigh, AM radio memories.....

Comment

Originally posted by Johannes View Post
                                          Paranormal radio host Art Bell died last night at 72. Loved listening to his show 20 years ago when I worked the overnight shift at a hotel while in college. I'm sure there are other former Coast to Coast listeners around here.

When I worked nights I would listen to coast to coast occasionally, not because I believed anything they talked about, but because the guests and callers were f'ing crazy. I don't know how he kept from laughing at them. I guess he was probably crazy as well.
                                          60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Johannes View Post

Former? Listen to George most every night to see if there is anything interesting on tap. Started listening to Art when I worked graveyard at the steel mill after college.

Leave it to Art:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Of course Art Bell died on Friday the 13th.<br><br>Of course. <a href="https://t.co/4EHSfJi9rk">pic.twitter.com/4EHSfJi9rk</a></p>&mdash; Las Vegas Locally �� (@LasVegasLocally) <a href="https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/985025668583845888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 14, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

I was at that game in the Superdome...Hoosiers had beaten UNLV in the semi while SU had beaten Ernie D and Providence.

Seems too young to be dying...circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                When I worked nights I would listen to coast to coast occasionally, not because I believed anything they talked about, but because the guests and callers were f'ing crazy. I don't know how he kept from laughing at them. I guess he was probably crazy as well.
                                                Holy shit. I'm not even thinking of the right guy. I listened to George, not Art. Either way my comment still applies. RIP guy I didn't listen to but thought I did.
                                                60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by texbender View Post
                                                  I was at that game in the Superdome...Hoosiers had beaten UNLV in the semi while SU had beaten Ernie D and Providence.

Seems too young to be dying...circumstances?
                                                  You're not that old lol

Ernie D was early 70's w/ Marvin Barnes.

Billy D was Pitino's PG in '87 along with SG Delray Brooks who transferred from Indiana. He would've transferred to ND but they weren't in the business of transfers in those days. Had he chosen ND out of HS which I thought he was going to do, he and David Rivers would have been a helluva backcourt.

Comment

When Art Bell wanted to go national and named his show Coast-to-Coast, Las Vegas billionaire Robert Bigelow helped jump-start the effort (Bigelow was always interested in both UFO encounters and in "Survival" phenomena like Near-Death experiences, and Bell wanted to emphasize them.)

Bell asked Bigelow if he could get some of the solider experts on these things to begin the content of the show. Bigelow knew a lot of such people, and he asked them if they would (without any pay) help Art out. I and five of my friends in UFO research, therefore, did half of the first 10-12 shows with Bell.

Of course one of our local wisea$$es KNOWS that all of us were and are effing crazy --- a comment of the quality that I've come to expect and always thank the Almighty for allowing me to live long enough to receive such insight.

I go to my grave blessed indeed.

Comment

Damn. I used to love listening to Art Bell on coast to coast after late night hockey practices.

I still pop on old best of on YouTube from time to time. Never believe 99% of it, but it's fun nonetheless.

Comment

R Lee Ermey, gunny from Full Metal Jacket, has passed from complications of pneumonia

Comment

Miloš Forman
                                                          Died 13 April 2018 (aged 86)

Academy Award Winning Director for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Comment

Bummer

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                              You're not that old lol

Ernie D was early 70's w/ Marvin Barnes.

Billy D was Pitino's PG in '87 along with SG Delray Brooks who transferred from Indiana. He would've transferred to ND but they weren't in the business of transfers in those days. Had he chosen ND out of HS which I thought he was going to do, he and David Rivers would have been a helluva backcourt.
                                                              You're right, It was Pitino and Delray Brooks. Will never forget how the Hoosiers totally frustrated the Runnin' Rebs, and went on to win it all on the following Monday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
                                                                R Lee Ermey, gunny from Full Metal Jacket, has passed from complications of pneumonia

deserving of a gif.
                                                                his character in FMG was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                  Miloš Forman
                                                                  Died 13 April 2018 (aged 86)

Academy Award Winning Director for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
                                                                  Incredible movie. Not his only great work though.

Comment

Originally posted by texbender View Post
                                                                    You're right, It was Pitino and Delray Brooks. Will never forget how the Hoosiers totally frustrated the Runnin' Rebs, and went on to win it all on the following Monday night.
                                                                    Yep, they were expecting the traditional Knight motion offense. Instead of trying to slow them down, the Hoosiers ran with the Rebels who couldn't get back on D fast enough. May have been Knights greatest game plan ever.

Delray Brooks was Mr. Basketball and NPOY. Played at IU before transferring to Providence.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

deserving of a gif.
                                                                      A lot of Ermey's dialogue in FMJ was unscripted. They'd basically just decide what they wanted to do in the scene, tell the cast to go with whatever he did, and then just let Ermey improvise and do his thing. Punching Joker in the stomach over the Virgin Mary, choking Pyle for smiling, and slapping Pyle when he put his gun on the wrong shoulder were all unscripted and their reactions were genuine. Ermey was one of a kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

deserving of a gif.
                                                                        RIP Gunny. He was great. Loved the movies, tv shows, and video games he was a part of. I nearly forgot he was Brisco County Sr. on Brisco County Jr. Dude was a legend.

Comment

Just saw this. Soooooo bummed. Night Court was a GREAT show and loved him there and when he popped up on Cheers
                                                                          Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

IIRC, he started as a comedic magician and his big break came on SNL.

Markie Post was a smokin' lawyer!

Comment

• #41
                                                                              Albert Hoffman, who synthesized LSD in 1938, has passed at 102.

Though its intended use was never truly realized, and was perverted by the US military, it was a "magical" discovery.

My thanks to him. And to Ken Kesey, his Merry Pranksters, Timothy Leary, and the Grateful Dead.

Sunshine Daydreams.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                The Grateful Dead added positively to the culture on balance ... one must listen to words. (I have a current parish priest who was a "DeadHead" and taking it with his deeply spiritual Catholicism he still carries many homily-ready inspirations from the finer side of that --- but the music, not the drugs.)

Timothy Leary subtracted from it, in my opinion ... one must listen to the (chemically-induced) screams. (And, "dropping out" of responsibility was the way, correctly or not, that his catchy mantra was interpreted --- I had a University colleague who was led wayward (not all were) by the psychedelic dream, but backed away when he found it taking over --- he went with biofeedback and meditation.)

Albert Hoffman ... simply an innocent chemical synthesizer in a labcoat. His "gift" was basically unintentional.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                  Former First Lady Barbara Bush has reportedly passed away according to a family spokesman. Her death was reported earlier today, but that was soon retracted as inaccurate. Reports of her passing have come out in the past few minutes that appear to be true.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                    Former First Lady Barbara Bush has reportedly passed away according to a family spokesman. Her death was reported earlier today, but that was soon retracted as inaccurate. Reports of her passing have come out in the past few minutes that appear to be true.
                                                                                    One has to wonder how long Bush 41 holds on, since his health was in decline, too. 90-something is a good life.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                      Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                                                                      One has to wonder how long Bush 41 holds on, since his health was in decline, too. 90-something is a good life.
                                                                                      On her fathers and mothers sides, my wife is from families where getting to 90 is the norm. Her dad died at 94 from dementia and her mom is still alive at 93.

President Bush is the first man she ever kissed. Then they tied the knot.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                        Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                                                                                        Timothy Leary subtracted from it, in my opinion ...
                                                                                        I agree. I tossed his name into the pot simply because of his notorious link to LSD. "His Turn on, tune in and drop out" could have done without the "drop out."

Aldous Huxley ( of Animal Farm fame) wrote an interesting little book, The Doors of Perception, that I highly recommend.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                          Animal Farm is Orwell (a fellow much hated by many folks who don't want to see current fake-news-as-politics and modern backwards-speak {WAR IS PEACE/ IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH} in relation to 1984.)

Brave New World is Huxley (pretty much Soul Brother to 1984, Animal Farm, THX1138, and Fahrenheit 471.)

Doors of Perception is Mescaline rather than LSD, and some would argue if the two are really similar at base impact.

Huxley seemed to handle it well, losing his sense-of-self and becoming a non-ego flow-through experiencer of what he felt to be the raw enhanced reality of what simply is. He felt that as an intellectual, his over-trained mind was put at-a-distance from this raw reality, and the drug (peyote) broke that distance down, while also enhancing the level of sensory input.

I shouldn't be the one commenting at all here and leave it to those who have or still do take these things. As usual I was always the skeptical coward about putting such stuff into my central nervous system "just in case."

Comment

• #48
                                                                                            Rest in Peace Barbara Bush - great American, impressive lady.

My cousin married 41's personal secretary maybe 15 years ago - second marriage for her as she was widowed, first for him as he was pretty late to settle down. They "lived in sin" prior to getting married (in their mid forties when they met). 41 knew, but they dare not tell Barbara for she would not approve!

Comment

• #49
                                                                                              A belated RIP to Mitzi Shore. One of the most important influences on modern comedy.

For today:

Bruno Sanmartino died today at 82. One of the greats from my childhood.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                                                                                                ... Brave New World is Huxley (pretty much Soul Brother to 1984, Animal Farm, THX1138, and Fahrenheit 471.)

Doors of Perception is Mescaline rather than LSD, and some would argue if the two are really similar at base impact.

Huxley seemed to handle it well, losing his sense-of-self and becoming a non-ego flow-through experiencer of what he felt to be the raw enhanced reality of what simply is. He felt that as an intellectual, his over-trained mind was put at-a-distance from this raw reality, and the drug (peyote) broke that distance down, while also enhancing the level of sensory input.

I shouldn't be the one commenting at all here and leave it to those who have or still do take these things. As usual I was always the skeptical coward about putting such stuff into my central nervous system "just in case."
                                                                                                My lazy mistake.

I have found, through experience, that there is a commonality among the psycho-active drugs. Psilocybin was my introduction to "that world." My freshman year at ND ('70 – '71) I visited some high school friends at FSU during Christmas break. There were FAMU cow pastures between their apartment and campus they used as a shortcut. Magic Mushrooms abounded. 'Shroom chocolate shakes were made, followed by a day wandering the woods.

It was a brisk but sunny day. I was "walking in the daylight" alone, enjoying the calm, but fretting about the travesty of discarded beer cans and other discarded trash. One of my friends, rambling about, came upon me. I looked at him and said, simply, "this is all wrong." He knew exactly what I was thinking and we talked about the shame, the pity of how so many shit on nature.

Another of our merry, tripping band strolled up and heard a similar non-descript snippet of our conversation. He, too, was immediately "dialed in." What amazed and delighted me was how we so quickly and easily arrived at the same "wavelength." Something was afoot that was inexplicable.

I have other tales to tell, but I'll spare you all the lengthy narrative.

Suffice it to say that I learned, changed, and grew.

PS: Don't tell my son. He knows a bit of my story, but I'll reveal all as I see fit.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                Working...
                                                                                                X