Bowe Bergdhal: No Jail Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowe Bergdhal: No Jail Time

Complete bullshit. He needs to rot away in jail for the rest of his scummy life.

Bowe Bergdahl receives dishonorable discharge, avoids jail time - CNNPolitics

US Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has received a dishonorable discharge but will avoid prison time for desertion and misbehavior before the enemy after abandoning his outpost in 2009, a military judge ruled Friday.

The judge also ruled that Bergdahl's rank be reduced from sergeant to E1. Additionally, Bergdahl will be required to pay a $1,000 fine from his salary for the next 10 months.

Lmao this is not going to sit well with the military.
    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

This country is absolutely fascinating.

Comment

So justice puts the price of the men who died searching for him at $00.00

Comment

Definitely strange to see him not have to serve any time at Leavenworth, but I think that mar on his record of Dishonorable Discharge, and the whole being held captive for so long is a pretty strong punishment in itself. My problem is the assets used and the soldiers who had to unnecessarily risk their lives during search and rescue missions looking for his goofy self. He is a deserter, and his team and country deserve much better. As a Vet, nothing irks me more when the individual thinks he/she knows better than what the mission calls for. He claimed that he did, and as usual, it cost more than he ever could have imagined.

Comment

Oh, and hi everyone! Sorry I haven’t posted in a while. Great season we are having!

Comment

Sucks is this guy is gonna make a million on a book deal and just come out ahead

Comment

Bergdahl suffered from numerous mental illnesses, including schizotypal personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, according to Dr. Charles Morgan, a forensic psychiatrist and professor at the University of New Haven and Yale University. He testified for the defense Wednesday.
                That's why, for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                  That's why, for what it's worth.
                  And I think that itís worth a lot. Iím certainly not impressed with this person, but I would also like to acknowledge the fact that he is a person, he made a mistake, and the remainder of his life will not allow for him to forget the fact that he made this mistake. Has he suffered enough? I donít know, but everyone out there needs to realize that this person is not done suffering, and he wonít be for a very long time.

Comment

For reference, This sailor took pics of the engine room of his sub. I can kind of relate to this since I had the same job. He lived and worked in this plant and never transmitted the pics. He was jailed for mishandling classified info. (Similar to what Clinton did, but...)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...lear-submarine

But Berghdal? Nothing.

Weird.
                    Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

I wonder if the fact that he washed out of the Coast Guard for "psychological reasons" had any affect on this decision. Seems like the Army may have dropped the ball by even allowing him to enlist (I'm sure some of our vets on here could answer this). I really don't know much about the case beyond listening to the Serial podcast.
                      "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel View Post
                        So justice puts the price of the men who died searching for him at $00.00
                        When I google this, everything I read says that no one actually died specifically looking for him. Am I missing something?
                        Originally posted by koonja
                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                          When I google this, everything I read says that no one actually died specifically looking for him. Am I missing something?
                          According to the Serial podcast (might not be the most reliable), there is some disagreement on this point. Some say they were specifically looking for him while others state that it was more like inquiring about him during routine missions.
                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                            For reference, This sailor took pics of the engine room of his sub. I can kind of relate to this since I had the same job. He lived and worked in this plant and never transmitted the pics. He was jailed for mishandling classified info. (Similar to what Clinton did, but...)
                            I think you might be surprised how unspecific the conversations on her emails were, and whether someone emailing her to say "get did you see that X leaked on CNN a moment ago?" counted as "mishandled classified info".

Just saying.

Comment

No, I never heard anything about any casualties in searching for him. The potential was certainly there, and it is important to shed light on that fact, but itís not something that occurred so you canít exactly use it against him in that regard.

Comment

That's correct, though there were definitely injuries, including a paralysis I believe. There's also the possibility that diverting air support to the search resulted in casualties in the other missions that could have used those assets.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been in Afghanistan when we’ve had a US soldier go missing and while it absolutely sucks and we did have a guy die on one (not Bergdahl’s) I’m fine with this outcome.

Sounds like he had very real mental health issues when he left and five years in Taliban captivity + a dishonorable discharge are no joke.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishinSyria View Post
                                    I’ve been in Afghanistan when we’ve had a US soldier go missing and while it absolutely sucks and we did have a guy die on one (not Bergdahl’s) I’m fine with this outcome.

Sounds like he had very real mental health issues when he left and five years in Taliban captivity + a dishonorable discharge are no joke.

IF he had "very real mental health issues" wouldn't that be the basis for an honorable discharge as illness is not dishonorable?

I see your point but the DD doesn't compute if that was the rationale. AR 635-200 provides for medical discharges for psychological/psychiatric reasons.
                                    Last edited by BGIF; 11-03-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                      IF he had "very real mental health issues" wouldn't that be the basis for an honorable discharge as illness is not dishonorable?

I see your point but the DD doesn't compute if that was the rationale. AR 635-200 provides for with medical discharges for psychological/psychiatric reasons.
                                      I wondered about this myself. I think that he had unrealistic expectations, and was very reckless in how he wanted to handle how he viewed his superiors actions, but I think the mental/unstable issues occurred after/during captivity. At least, that is how I took the information I have read.

Comment

I am also a veteran with several combat tours abroad and what he did was absolutely disgraceful and lives were changed forever as a result of his actions. Even though I personally think he should have served some time at Leavenworth, He is still going to pay for his crimes for the rest of his life. That bad conduct discharge will follow him wherever he goes, and the fact that he was held captive for many years, I guess some could argue his punishment was enough. I just feel he should have spent some time in Leavenworth. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post

I see your point but the DD doesn't compute if that was the rationale. AR 635-200 provides for medical discharges for psychological/psychiatric reasons.

Maybe that is why they went against the norm here? He got his out from jail time for the excuse but will carry the discharge for life? Not sure legally how all that works but if given the freedom to choose, as a judge that would make sense to me.

My only concern is how much of an outstanding citizen can he truly be with all of this? Can he live a normal life and provide to society or did we just expedite someone that will serve life in the next 5 for a crime no one could "expect"?

Make sense?
                                          When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

Serial's second season was dedicated to this story. It was interesting to listen to.

https://serialpodcast.org/

Comment

Originally posted by ndcoltsfan2010 View Post
                                              I am also a veteran with several combat tours abroad and what he did was absolutely disgraceful and lives were changed forever as a result of his actions. Even though I personally think he should have served some time at Leavenworth, He is still going to pay for his crimes for the rest of his life. That bad conduct discharge will follow him wherever he goes, and the fact that he was held captive for many years, I guess some could argue his punishment was enough. I just feel he should have spent some time in Leavenworth. Just my two cents.
                                              You're not the only one on this site. He should have never been allowed in the Army after washing out of the Coast Guard. But because the Army will always have a place for guys like him, they need to know how to handle them better. The Army had to take some lumps in this case for putting him in that situation to begin with. Could've left him at Ft. Benning and he wouldn't have caused as much harm.

Comment

Originally posted by TheItalian View Post
                                                Complete bullshit. He needs to rot away in jail for the rest of his scummy life.

Bowe Bergdahl receives dishonorable discharge, avoids jail time - CNNPolitics
                                                That's an understatement! They should execute the bastard! Even that is too good for that piece of sh*t!

Comment

I don't understand the thought process that he suffered enough while in captivity. Wasn't the captivity the result of his own actions? In my view, that would be like telling a bank robber who was shot in the process he will not face jail time because he already suffered enough from being shot. Not the way it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeehater View Post
                                                    I don't understand the thought process that he suffered enough while in captivity. Wasn't the captivity the result of his own actions? In my view, that would be like telling a bank robber who was shot in the process he will not face jail time because he already suffered enough from being shot. Not the way it should work.
                                                    I can see what you are saying, but I just don’t think that they are the same things. Is he a traitor or a deserter? Two totally different things. The reason I say that is because I wonder what people are wanting here. Life in prison? The death penalty? I just don’t know what is right?

Personally, I like the Dishonorable Discharge, the fine, and would have liked a 5 year sentence with the chance to be released in 36 months. Mostly because his actions required unnecessary search and rescue missions utilizing our most precious assets, our (military members), and putting them at risk because he wanted to prove a point. Ultimately, I do think the guy suffered enough, but I understand why some disagree. It’s just an all-around weird situation.
                                                    Last edited by yankeeND; 11-04-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by irish4ever View Post
                                                      That's an understatement! They should execute the bastard! Even that is too good for that piece of sh*t!
                                                      Jesus man... Iím not an expert in the story, but I highly doubt you are either. I havenít read anything that suggests your level of anger is appropriate.
                                                      Originally posted by koonja
                                                      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                      Working...
                                                      X