No announcement yet.

All Things Star Wars Thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things Star Wars Thread (Spoilers)

Enter this thread at your own risk. All spoilers permitted without the need for a warning.

Please use this thread to discuss reactions to the movie and anything that could be considered a spoiler.

(SPOILERS) Star Wars Episode VII (SPOILERS)

IT'S SO DAMN GOOD.

I had tempered my expectations and it absolutely blew me away. I don't even know what to say right now i'm so emotionally drained.

Han's death was so perfect. The way the sun turns dark as his son turns to the dark side. While it was crushing, it was also a perfect death for the character.

BB-8 was handled perfectly. He was exactly what George was shooting for with Jar Jar. The humor he brought to multiple scenes cut the tension in such a great way. His thumbs up to Finn had me belly laughing.

Finn was a great new addition. You can tell Boyega was so excited to be in SW he brought such great emotion and energy to the character.

Rey! Wow! Totally stole the show! Daisey Ridley is that character in the same way Mark Hamill is Luke. There is something so satisfying about a total newcomer being cast as the lead. I 100% buy her as the character of Rey. And wow is she hot af.

Kylo Ren is a badass. He's set up to be a super intimidating villain in the movies to come. Adam Driver killed it, especially in the one on one scenes with Rey and Han.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE AGAIN!

Comment

Needed less "haha" and more brooding nature.

Even if you're going to make a joke, don't set it up like you're going to stare into the camera like on The Office. They often killed what should have been a VERY serious mood.

Also, how many freaking closes ups of Boyega's face are we gonna get?
      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
        Needed less "haha" and more brooding nature.

Even if you're going to make a joke, don't set it up like you're going to stare into the camera like on The Office. They often killed what should have been a VERY serious mood.
        As someone who often hates on Marvel movies for being too funny (or attempting to be at least) I had no problem with the laughs in this movie. Maybe i'm forgetting some already but I can't really think of any stare at the camera type lines that you're referring to.

Also I think some of the lightheartedness is due to this being the first film in the new trilogy. As the story progresses and becomes more dark i'm sure we will lose some of the humor.

Also, how many freaking closes ups of Boyega's face are we gonna get?
        Gotta say this is a unique criticism lol. I didn't notice an over abundance of close ups on Finn, but we can replace as many as you want with close ups of Rey
        Last edited by GATTACA!; 12-18-2015, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I loved it but at the same time I totally agree with the general criticism that this was just A New Hope 2.0. I'm okay with that, because that's what the franchise needed, it will allow VIII and IX to reach for Empire levels of greatness.

But the similarities with A New Hope will hold it back as time goes on. I mean think about it, the movie opens with Empire 2.0 looking for R2 2.0, who is running around on desert planet 2.0 with special plans 2.0 where he runs into force-able orphaned main character 2.0 and they leave on the Millennium Falcon again in search of the Rebels 2.0 only to take a tractor-beam detour but ultimately connect with the rebels and learn of a revolutionary planet(s)-destroying weapon 2.0 and they go take it out moments before it blasts them away. Oh and throw in a main character dying in a pretty similar fashion to Alec Guinness.

That sounds like a lot of criticism from my end, but I really did love the movie. Kylo Ren is borderline genius. The visuals were spectacular. It felt so damn real. Most importantly it sets up Luke and the next movie wonderfully.

Oh and r/starwars is going nuts saying Rey is the daughter of Luke or Leia or some shit...that would be awful. The prequels did so much damage by making the universe too small, I thought Abrams and Co. handled it perfectly by just saying she was abandoned on the planet and let her parents just be a mystery. God I hope they don't ruin that.

I know that Harrison Ford suggested to Lucas that they killed him off back in ROTJ, so as soon as he saw Kylo in that buildinh I knew he was dead and figured "that's why they introduced him last and gave him the biggest spotlight at all of the promos, it's his last Star Wars.." I was moved by the scene. Very well done.

Lastly fuck George Lucas and his shit prequels. I'm so glad they ignored them. Lightsaber encounters went back to being passionate broadsword battles, none of that jumping 90 feet triple reverse back flip gymnastics crap that frankly took a shit on well-built characters like Yoda but really all jedi/sith.
          Last edited by Buster Bluth; 12-18-2015, 05:00 AM.

Comment

I mean obviously it's Star Wars and no matter what I'm going to a theater to see it. Even if someone posted a boot leg link.
            But really guys couldn't give people 24 hours.
            RIP KMC 4/15/13

Comment

Originally posted by DomerInHappyValley View Post
              I mean obviously it's Star Wars and no matter what I'm going to a theater to see it. Even if someone posted a boot leg link.
              But really guys couldn't give people 24 hours.
              This thread is just a place to discuss it without ruining it for those who have yet to see it. A few preliminary comments:

First what I didn't really care for: the Maz Kanata cantina sequence and the face-off between Han's "criminal partners." The Maz character would have been better without being CGI, and the whole sequence felt forced (har har). It would have been better without portraying her as some ocular phrenologist / seer. The showdown in Han's freighter was the low point in the film, IMO. Its only purpose was to establish a reason for the group to abandon the big freighter and escape on the Falcon. It was the only part of the film that was eye rolling for me, and yet the introduction of Han and Chewie helped pull it off.

And that says something, because that's it. Those two parts of the movie are all I really had a beef with, and they didn't tarnish the film as a whole. That freighter sequence would have been one of the better points in the prequels. Instead, it was a brief bit of campiness that is quickly forgotten. The rest of the movie was gripping. Yeah, there was the occasional comic relief, but it was tastefully done and helped relieve the tension from the constant action. The reintroduction of practical effects into the saga makes such a difference visually. I am excited to see it again on Saturday in IMAX.

Final comment: Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is everything that Hayden Christensen's Anakin could have been and should have been. That makes me sad. I hope someone remakes the prequel movies someday with real dialog, real acting, and... well, a real plot, I guess.

Comment

I really didn't enjoy the movie, and I don't have any interest in seeing the next movies because of how much I disliked this one. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Johannes View Post
                  Final comment: Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is everything that Hayden Christensen's Anakin could have been and should have been. That makes me sad. I hope someone remakes the prequel movies someday with real dialog, real acting, and... well, a real plot, I guess.
                  The scary thing is that its rumored that Hayden Christensen will be in Episode 8. To what extent, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                    I loved it but at the same time I totally agree with the general criticism that this was just A New Hope 2.0. I'm okay with that, because that's what the franchise needed, it will allow VIII and IX to reach for Empire levels of greatness.

But the similarities with A New Hope will hold it back as time goes on. I mean think about it, the movie opens with Empire 2.0 looking for R2 2.0, who is running around on desert planet 2.0 with special plans 2.0 where he runs into force-able orphaned main character 2.0 and they leave on the Millennium Falcon again in search of the Rebels 2.0 only to take a tractor-beam detour but ultimately connect with the rebels and learn of a revolutionary planet(s)-destroying weapon 2.0 and they go take it out moments before it blasts them away. Oh and throw in a main character dying in a pretty similar fashion to Alec Guinness.

That sounds like a lot of criticism from my end, but I really did love the movie. Kylo Ren is borderline genius. The visuals were spectacular. It felt so damn real. Most importantly it sets up Luke and the next movie wonderfully.

Oh and r/starwars is going nuts saying Rey is the daughter of Luke or Leia or some shit...that would be awful. The prequels did so much damage by making the universe too small, I thought Abrams and Co. handled it perfectly by just saying she was abandoned on the planet and let her parents just be a mystery. God I hope they don't ruin that.

I know that Harrison Ford suggested to Lucas that they killed him off back in ROTJ, so as soon as he saw Kylo in that buildinh I knew he was dead and figured "that's why they introduced him last and gave him the biggest spotlight at all of the promos, it's his last Star Wars.." I was moved by the scene. Very well done.

Lastly fuck George Lucas and his shit prequels. I'm so glad they ignored them. Lightsaber encounters went back to being passionate broadsword battles, none of that jumping 90 feet triple reverse back flip gymnastics crap that frankly took a shit on well-built characters like Yoda but really all jedi/sith.

Good review. I agree completely that this was a much needed movie to re-set the Star Wars franchise. I will say that the way episode VIII is being set up looks amazing. I really like the new characters and wow, the future Rey and Kylo battles are gonna be good.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                      As someone who often hates on Marvel movies for being too funny (or attempting to be at least) I had no problem with the laughs in this movie. Maybe i'm forgetting some already but I can't really think of any stare at the camera type lines that you're referring to.

Also I think some of the lightheartedness is due to this being the first film in the new trilogy. As the story progresses and becomes more dark i'm sure we will lose some of the humor.

Gotta say this is a unique criticism lol. I didn't notice an over abundance of close ups on Finn, but we can replace as many as you want with close ups of Rey
                      It wasn't literally stare at the camera moments, but its just the forced jokes when there's no need to be. There wasn't any specific character for comedic relief, they ALL made jokes and you just wondered, "is anyone taking this Death Star x1000000 thing seriously?" I'm okay with Han making smart ass comments, that's his character. After Fin's intro scene where he is staring upon his killed comrade and he watches a group of innocents be slaughtered...he spends the rest of the movie being the comedic relief...including his over forced affection for Rey. Let the kid stare at her dreamily and let something build over the course of the movie. Instead he's overly clingy the entire freaking time because people found it funny.

We had a freaking mega Death Star (which is hardly ever discussed compared to the find Luke narrative, which IS NOT THE REAL PLOT FOR THIS MOVIE) and no one was really all that worried.

As for the Boyega close ups, seriously, almost ever scene he is in, he runs, stops, and the camera zooms in for a "dramatic close up" which really loses effect after the first couple of times.
                      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

I thought the whole Kirk -Spock thing with the sometimes the needs of the few or the one can out weigh the needs of the many was so over done here.
                        Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

Also, I still don't get why Luke now has a completely robotic arm. Like, why would he opt out of the perfectly synthetic one (you know, the one that looked just like his old arm) for that thing?

Comment

It wasn't literally stare at the camera moments, but its just the forced jokes when there's no need to be. There wasn't any specific character for comedic relief, they ALL made jokes and you just wondered, "is anyone taking this Death Star x1000000 thing seriously?" I'm okay with Han making smart ass comments, that's his character. After Fin's intro scene where he is staring upon his killed comrade and he watches a group of innocents be slaughtered...he spends the rest of the movie being the comedic relief...including his over forced affection for Rey. Let the kid stare at her dreamily and let something build over the course of the movie. Instead he's overly clingy the entire freaking time because people found it funny.

We had a freaking mega Death Star (which is hardly ever discussed compared to the find Luke narrative, which IS NOT THE REAL PLOT FOR THIS MOVIE) and no one was really all that worried.

As for the Boyega close ups, seriously, almost ever scene he is in, he runs, stops, and the camera zooms in for a "dramatic close up" which really loses effect after the first couple of times.
                            I understand what you are saying, but I think the comedic situations you are criticizing are very similar to the original movie. I like the fact that they really worked hard on having the movie have a similar feel to A New Hope and get the franchise back on track. The inappropriate timing of many of the jokes is kinda a Star Wars thing.

Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                            I thought the whole Kirk -Spock thing with the sometimes the needs of the few or the one can out weigh the needs of the many was so over done here.

It was funny. I watched the Big Bang Theory before going to the movie and there was a scene where dude walks into the Star Wars movie dressed for Star Trek and everyone boos. And then that happened at the theater I was at. Some people even threw popcorn at the guy.

Comment

Looks like gk wanted his thread to survive ;)

Sorry I didn't see this one when I created mine last night.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the movie. My friend knows Adam Driver so we always make it a point to go see his films when they come out. The spoilers don't ruin it for me. Sounds like he nailed it.

I was never a huge SW fan to begin with. 4,5,6 were too old for me to really enjoy and I thought 1,2,3 were horrible. Regardless, I'll still take the time to watch 7.

Comment

Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                  I understand what you are saying, but I think the comedic situations you are criticizing are very similar to the original movie. I like the fact that they really worked hard on having the movie have a similar feel to A New Hope and get the franchise back on track. The inappropriate timing of many of the jokes is kinda a Star Wars thing.
                                  Not at all like they did in this movie. Again, it's pretty much just Han who makes wise cracks and smart ass comments in heated situations in the originals. (Exceptions: Luke meeting up with his old friend before the attack on the Death Star. Trying to shake off the scare laughing and joking with his friend, but it's still obvious that everyone is nervous as hell.) The only potentially goofy scenes in 4 and 5 are those that involve C3PO. (Crying about how he is going to let the crew die because he blew it, but everyone else in that scene is still in very real peril and act like it.)

I don't know. Perhaps all the laughing from the audience killed the mood for me. I'll be seeing the movie again on Christmas day, and we'll see if my opinions change at all.

As it has been acknowledged, this is essentially a revamped Episode IV which was good in getting the series back on track maybe, but stale in some cases. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. Just had really high hopes.

Also, something tells me that the next one will be darker and better, just like V was to IV.
                                  Last edited by BeauBenken; 12-18-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Not at all like they did in this movie. Again, it's pretty much just Han who makes wise cracks and smart ass comments in heated situations or possibly other characters if it's called for in the dialogue. (Luke meeting up with his old friend before the attack on the Death Star. Trying to shake off the scare laughing and joking with his friend, but it's still obvious that everyone is nervous as hell.) The only potentially goofy scenes in 4 and 5 are those that involve C3PO. (Crying about how he is going to let the crew die because he blew it, but everyone else in that scene is still in very real peril and act like it.)
                                    We just see this differently. I thought the comedy was done in the spirit of Star Wars past.

I don't know. Perhaps all the laughing from the audience killed the mood for me. I'll be seeing the movie again on Christmas day, and we'll see if my opinions change at all.

As it has been acknowledged, this is essentially a revamped Episode IV which was good in getting the series back on track maybe, but stale in some cases. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. Just had really high hopes.

Also, something tells me that the next one will be darker and better, just like V was to IV.

Agree completely. This movie set up the franchise for some really great movies going forward.

I am looking forward to going back on Tuesday to see it again.

Comment

Saw it last night, that was my impression. It felt very much like New Hope 2.0. My thoughts as I was watching it were similar to yours: movie opens with a Star Destroyer-like ship in space, it's shadow covering the planet to show it's dark nature and long reach etc etc. We find ourselves on a Tatooine-like planet with a droid being split from it's master with an important message within. Meet a Skywalker (I'm assuming Rey is Luke's daughter from everything we've seen) who finds the droid (Along with Finn who is probably the son of Lando since this is a family affair). They escape aboard the Millenium Falcon from the desert planet. We have a cantina scene very similar to the original, there's even some Bounty Hunters looking for our heroes. The Skywalker lightsaber is passed down. Girl is captured by the new Empire and must be saved. The Empire has a planet killing weapon with a big fuckin' laser. Our mentor person dies (Han) at the hand of a Sith. Heroes rescue the girl and blow up the weapon to save the day.

There's probably a lot more similarities, but those were the ones from the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie, and I think they approached it the right way, I was just really surprised how similar both movies were. I hadn't even heard the New Hope comparison until I saw the movie for myself and noticed it. It's much, much better than the prequels in every way. It felt like all the locations were very real, it didn't feel like a bunch of sterile green screens. I don't think it's better than IV or V, and I won't say it's better than VI since VI is my favorite minus the Ewoks. I think the new movie is somewhere between the two trilogies as far as quality goes. It felt like they went back to the well a little too much, and unfortunately I think a lot of people deduced that Han was going to die which ruined that scene a bit.

Comment

Also, I still don't get why Luke now has a completely robotic arm. Like, why would he opt out of the perfectly synthetic one (you know, the one that looked just like his old arm) for that thing?
                                        He honors his father's memory with a shitty robot hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                          Saw it last night, that was my impression. It felt very much like New Hope 2.0. My thoughts as I was watching it were similar to yours: movie opens with a Star Destroyer-like ship in space, it's shadow covering the planet to show it's dark nature and long reach etc etc. We find ourselves on a Tatooine-like planet with a droid being split from it's master with an important message within. Meet a Skywalker (I'm assuming Rey is Luke's daughter from everything we've seen) who finds the droid (Along with Finn who is probably the son of Lando since this is a family affair). They escape aboard the Millenium Falcon from the desert planet. We have a cantina scene very similar to the original, there's even some Bounty Hunters looking for our heroes. The Skywalker lightsaber is passed down. Girl is captured by the new Empire and must be saved. The Empire has a planet killing weapon with a big fuckin' laser. Our mentor person dies (Han) at the hand of a Sith. Heroes rescue the girl and blow up the weapon to save the day.

There's probably a lot more similarities, but those were the ones from the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie, and I think they approached it the right way, I was just really surprised how similar both movies were. I hadn't even heard the New Hope comparison until I saw the movie for myself and noticed it. It's much, much better than the prequels in every way. It felt like all the locations were very real, it didn't feel like a bunch of sterile green screens. I don't think it's better than IV or V, and I won't say it's better than VI since VI is my favorite minus the Ewoks. I think the new movie is somewhere between the two trilogies as far as quality goes. It felt like they went back to the well a little too much, and unfortunately I think a lot of people deduced that Han was going to die which ruined that scene a bit.
                                          Yeah agreed. I need more views to weigh it against Return of the Jedi. I think VIII and IX will in a way make or break this movie. If they follow the Original Trilogy too closely then the whole reboot is ruined.

Comment

Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

Saw the film last night and I left a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

The Good:
                                              I thought the protagonists were fantastic and Rey really stole the show. Rey, Finn, and Poe felt authentic in a way that some of the PT heroes (Anakin and Padme) never did. They're regular people and they relate a lot better to the average audience than what we got in the PT.

Han Solo was spot on and his interaction with his son before his death was perfect closure for his character.

Kylo Ren's psychological makeup and the internal struggle he felt certainly lays the groundwork for him to be fearsome antagonist in the future with some substance.

The Bad:

The parallels with ANH were a little too strong for me as a hardcore fan. Episode I was a little eye rolling with the good guys trying to destroy a spherical spaceship at the end of that film which mirrored Episode IV so this felt a little like that. I think we would have been served better with a different attack plan than almost exactly what we've got from the first installment of both previous trilogies.

Kylo Ren is also a weakness in this film in my opinion. He's potentially a great villain but he's not one yet. The idea that Finn is even capable of blocking his attacks and resisting more than one or two blows when he's never held a lightsaber before is a little ridiculous. Same with Rey. She at least seems to have inherent Force ability but even then, so much of being capable with a lightsaber is training. Rey and Finn have none and they made Kylo look like a novice. Makes me wonder what Kylo would have done if he had been able to find Luke, certainly not fight him after what we saw out of him.

All in all, a very good Star Wars film. I'd put it in the middle of the pack as far as the entire saga goes.

Comment

So freaking good. I really don't get the criticism at all. I was so immersed in the movie that any negative thoughts were just gone. But, hay I went as a fan, not a critic.

Comment

So I guess Rogue One is the next film due out next year.

Rogue One is the first film in the Star Wars Anthology series, a collection of stand-alone stories set in the Star Wars universe. The story is set in between the events of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) and Episode IV: A New Hope (1977), and centers on a group of rebel fighters who come together to carry out the mission of stealing the plans for the Death Star.
                                                  Premise:
                                                  Following the foundation of the Galactic Empire, a wayward band of Rebel fighters comes together to carry out a desperate mission: to steal the plans for the Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor's rule
                                                  Rogue One will be released on December 16, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_...tar_Wars_Story

Comment

I'm pretty pleased, it's not perfect, but viewed within the lens of the SW universe, it works well.

Three surprises for me;

1- Han was much more pivotal than I expected. A welcome surprise, to be sure.
                                                    2- Phasma was surprisingly useless. I expected more from this character, hope they flesh her out more in episode 8.
                                                    3- no one seemed all that concerned about Starkiller base. If it's infinitely more powerful than the Death Star, they all should have been wetting their pants. But it was really just an obstacle to overcome, nothing more. That left me a little wanting.

But these are minor criticisms. Thrilled about most everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Canton_Irish View Post
                                                      Kylo Ren is also a weakness in this film in my opinion. He's potentially a great villain but he's not one yet. The idea that Finn is even capable of blocking his attacks and resisting more than one or two blows when he's never held a lightsaber before is a little ridiculous. Same with Rey. She at least seems to have inherent Force ability but even then, so much of being capable with a lightsaber is training. Rey and Finn have none and they made Kylo look like a novice. Makes me wonder what Kylo would have done if he had been able to find Luke, certainly not fight him after what we saw out of him..
                                                      That was the whole point of the character. He isn't some super powerful Sith Lord like Darth Vader or even Darth Maul. Ren is just a petulant teenager that thinks he knows everything. He ran away from his training with Luke and it's clearly showing in his erratic abilities. Rightfully he isn't a polished force user or a great with his lightsaber. This is shown with his crazy unstable saber, he didn't finish his training so he doesn't know how to properly build his weapon.

Also you have to add that fact that he was wounded by Chewie inside the base. Not only is he not a polished fighter or force user he is also injured. Taking that all into consideration I really didn't have an issue with Finn putting up some resistance and Rey being able to hang with him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockOnHelmet View Post
                                                        I'm pretty pleased, it's not perfect, but viewed within the lens of the SW universe, it works well.

Three surprises for me;

2- Phasma was surprisingly useless. I expected more from this character, hope they flesh her out more in episode 8.
                                                        3- no one seemed all that concerned about Starkiller base. If it's infinitely more powerful than the Death Star, they all should have been wetting their pants. But it was really just an obstacle to overcome, nothing more. That left me a little wanting.

All great points, but I forgot about #3 there. It would have been nice if they went a different route from a giant laser, planet killing weapon. The fear of the Starkiller base just didn't seem as genuine as the Death Star. The Rebels were like "Meh, another big weapon. We'll just take the shields down again and destabilize the planet," like it was no big thing. It's got to be old hat at this point. The lead up to Starkiller, the demonstration of it's power, and the planning and execution to take it down were all kind of rushed it seemed. What I would like to see in the next movie is a threat that actually survives into the next movie, something they can't game plan around right away and has them on the run.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                          That was the whole point of the character. He isn't some super powerful Sith Lord like Darth Vader or even Darth Maul. Ren is just a petulant teenager that thinks he knows everything. He ran away from his training with Luke and it's clearly showing in his erratic abilities. Rightfully he isn't a polished force user or a great with his lightsaber. This is shown with his crazy unstable saber, he didn't finish his training so he doesn't know how to properly build his weapon.

Also you have to add that fact that he was wounded by Chewie inside the base. Not only is he not a polished fighter or force user he is also injured. Taking that all into consideration I really didn't have an issue with Finn putting up some resistance and Rey being able to hang with him.
                                                          I thought the same thing as Canton at first. Kylo initially seemed a bit weak as a Sith at the end of the movie, but we have to remember he took the easy route to the dark side, you can tell he's very new to the force and his powers. He asks his master to show him the power of the dark side again if I recall, he's so new to it that he hasn't gotten much exposure. I expected Ren to outmatch Finn quickly with the saber, which he somewhat did. Maybe he should have taken him down sooner, maybe the injury he suffered by Chewie affected his fighting. I'm not surprised that Rey beat Kylo though. Why? She has been surviving on her own for some time and was very proficient with that staff she carried. I'm sure some of that training and proficiency carried over to the light saber battle, and we don't know if Luke has trained her some in the past. I expected Kylo to be more proficient in the force than her though since she just now seems to be learning how to use her powers.

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockOnHelmet View Post

Three surprises for me;

Glad we agree. The fright just never really seemed to be there.

Comment

I thought the same thing as Canton at first. Kylo initially seemed a bit weak as a Sith at the end of the movie, but we have to remember he took the easy route to the dark side, you can tell he's very new to the force and his powers. He asks his master to show him the power of the dark side again if I recall, he's so new to it that he hasn't gotten much exposure. I expected Ren to outmatch Finn quickly with the saber, which he somewhat did. Maybe he should have taken him down sooner, maybe the injury he suffered by Chewie affected his fighting. I'm not surprised that Rey beat Kylo though. Why? She has been surviving on her own for some time and was very proficient with that staff she carried. I'm sure some of that training and proficiency carried over to the light saber battle, and we don't know if Luke has trained her some in the past. I expected Kylo to be more proficient in the force than her though since she just now seems to be learning how to use her powers.
                                                              Yeah I agree with most of this. To the bolded, I felt like Kylo was toying with Finn to some extent. When Kylo has Finn pinned up against the tree he chose to just torture him by pressing his hilt into Finn's shoulder. I think Kylo could have easily finished him off sooner if he wanted to.

One of the theories I read over on reddit about Rey is that she was able to pick up on the force abilities quickly because she is so balanced. She seems very level headed throughout, that balance allowed her to more easily tap into her powers.

I also think people are making too much out of her ability to keep Kylo out of her head in that one scene. Rey is probably the first force sensitive person Kylo has ever tried that trick on so it understandable that he might have difficulties with it. I think it speaks more to Kylo's inexperience more than Rey's abilities.

Comment

I agree with most everyone else has said...however....

Am I the only person pissed off at the Luke "cameo"???!?!?!
                                                                I mean what the f**k? I knew he would only be in the last act of the movie for a short while,....but only the last 15 seconds?!?! COME ON!!!

Otherwise I really liked the movie aside from ANH similarities. New characters were fantastic, especially Rey and Ren.
                                                                As for Rey, you know she HAS to be Luke's daughter.(Scene where she finds the lightsaber and talks to Kaz. Kaz said it was passed down from father to son from Vader to Luke, and from Luke to her.)
                                                                Captain Phasma will play a big part of Episode VIII as it has been confirmed(and I liked how she was used)...General Hux could be an interesting small villain.

I have a feeling Snoke is Plagueis. He appears much bigger due to the giant hologram, but Andy Serkis has confirmed he is about 7-8" tall, and with his looks he is very similar to Plagueis.

I think Episode VIII is going to be the Empire for this trilogy. Much darker and grittier....don't be surprised to see Luke and/or Leia and/or Chewie die. Cant Wait!

Comment

I don't think anything really implied that Rey was Luke's daughter. At least that's not how I saw the film, seeing it again tomorrow though I guess I'll take notes haha
                                                                  Last edited by Buster Bluth; 12-18-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Don't only light sabers work for Jedis? Therefore Fin would be a Jedi. And the movie was phenomenal

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think anything really implied that Rey was Luke's daughter. At least that's not how I saw the film, seeing it again tomorrow though I guess I'll take notes haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                                                                      Certainly there were a lot of similarities in their characters between New Hope/Force Awakens, but I think the whole lightsaber vision with Rey at the cantina, and the affinity for the force, the missing family, the fact neither characters had to speak a work to each other at the end, Rey's drive to find out where Luke went...I could keep going. Also note that in the cantina the old lady alien asked Solo who she was, and he was about to tell her...but they cut away. Also, R2 went dormant when Luke left, but he came alive when it came in contact with Rey. Someone, maybe here, also said that when Rey was in the basement of the cantina her name was being called out...maybe by Luke? There certainly seemed to be a connection between Rey and Leia, which would make sense if Rey was her niece.

That....or Luke and Leia hooked up before Luke found out she was his sister, and Rey was the product of that union. That bombshell would be bigger than the Vader reveal in Empire! Luke then exiled himself from Leia due to his shame, and the kid is abandoned on the desert planet. Maybe Rey was on the Falcon when it was stolen from Han, and that's how she wound up on on the desert planet working for that alien guy! My money is still on Mara Jade or someone else shacking up with Luke, it'll probably be explained in the next movie.

Last edited by ulukinatme; 12-18-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Saw it this morning. Thought it was quite good. IMO Solo being dead will probably take away a lot of the funny away from the next films. He was probably responsible for about 90% of the funny scenes in the movie.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of guys here wish JarJar was back. The movie was phenominal, the series is back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish4Life09 View Post
                                                                            Am I the only person pissed off at the Luke "cameo"???!?!?!
                                                                            I mean what the f**k? I knew he would only be in the last act of the movie for a short while,....but only the last 15 seconds?!?! COME ON!!!
                                                                            Yes. I thought that it was perfect, and I thought they could have even cut that long shot 3-5 seconds sooner. Honestly I would have been fine not seeing Luke at all, but there is no way they could do that without pissing off general audiences

Originally posted by Irish4Life09 View Post
                                                                            I have a feeling Snoke is Plagueis. He appears much bigger due to the giant hologram, but Andy Serkis has confirmed he is about 7-8" tall, and with his looks he is very similar to Plagueis.
                                                                            I agree

Originally posted by scUM Hater View Post
                                                                            Don't only light sabers work for Jedis? Therefore Fin would be a Jedi. And the movie was phenomenal

No. Han uses Luke's on Hoth to open the Tauntaun.

That....or Luke and Leia hooked up before Luke found out she was his sister, and Rey was the product of that union. That bombshell would be bigger than the Vader reveal in Empire! Luke then exiled himself from Leia due to his shame, and the kid is abandoned on the desert planet. Maybe Rey was on the Falcon when it was stolen from Han, and that's how she wound up on on the desert planet working for that alien guy! My money is still on Mara Jade or someone else shacking up with Luke, it'll probably be explained in the next movie.
                                                                            This would be so fucked up and shocking I almost want it to happen.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              SIAP but I do wish they'd explain how the hell Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber, which falls on Bespin from Cloud City presumably into a gas giant, ends up in storage for Rey to stumble upon. Meesa thinks that's a bit of a stretch.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                SIAP but I do wish they'd explain how the hell Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber, which falls on Bespin from Cloud City presumably into a gas giant, ends up in storage for Rey to stumble upon. Meesa thinks that's a bit of a stretch.
                                                                                We'll probably see that story in one of the spinoff movies, probably the boba fett one

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Were you guys really surprised that it was "destroy the bigger Death Star" or just disappointed? I mean it was right there on the movie poster lol.

I thought it was phenomenal though. When the First Order was wrecking shit at the Pirate Den, and it looked like Han, Chewie and Finn were screwed, and then the Stormtroopers scramble to the lake front, and you can see the line of X-Wings flying low over the water... oh boy I got chills. And then Poe Dameron in that badass black X-Wing taking out 6 TIE's and some ground forces in a span of 30 seconds? Awesome sauce. And Finn's "THAT'S A DAMN GOOD PILOT!" felt genuine. Well done scene IMO that made it feel like the tide was turning. I hope Finn teams up with Poe as his gunner again at some point. They only interacted twice, but it felt like a genuine friendship.

As to Beau's criticism about Finn being so clingy... I think that was his character feeling genuine care for the first time. He was raised his whole life without a name, only being trained to follow orders as a piece of equipment with a serial number. When Rae helped him up on Jakku, you could see that he was amazed that she helped him. I think that's where his over-the-top emotions come from. He's being treated like a man and a frienx, and it's new to him. Hence his cheesy "I'm the boss now!" to Phasma.

I think Rae might be Luke's daughter. He hid her away on Jakku when he left to train Ren and the others, just in case things went bad. I think it would be dumb, like buster said, but it fits.

I hope that we get filled in on Kylo-Ren destroying Luke's Jedi Resurgence efforts. I assume we will learn through Luke telling Rae the story. I also assume that Luke will be able to tell us about Snoke, and how he came about. Perhaps Sidious had broken the rule of two and hid Snoke away as a fallback, knowing Vader's potential destiny.

It was also interesting that Snoke said "we must complete his training." Is Snoke a Sith, seeking a master-and-apprentice thing? Or is he the leader of a larger group, the Knights of Ren, and they aren't really Sith at all (like the inquisitors from previous canon)?

Can't wait for VIII. Do we know a title or projected date yet?

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                    Can't wait for VIII. Do we know a title or projected date yet?
                                                                                    May 26, 2017

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      So how deep can we go on spoilers? There is a rumor out there of a cast addition for VIII that gets somewhat interesting. I mean we'll obviously know if they're in it or not before the movie comes out so it won't be a spoiler by then....soo can we discuss that?

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Do it. If it's a rumor, then it's not a spoiler. Even if it's a "rumor."

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                          Do it. If it's a rumor, then it's not a spoiler. Even if it's a "rumor."
                                                                                          Well on that note... the rumor kinda makes sense considering it looks like both Rey and Kylo Ren will be stepping up their force game in the next movie, meaning we're almost guaranteed internal struggles, flashbacks, etc (eg Luke had Vader visions and everything) and now that I've typed enough to fill up the tapatalk preview haha the same site that in the summer said Han Solo was going to die said that Hayden Christensen will be in Episode VIII. An interesting decision if true. But I think the force is going to get more involved in a Star Wars movie than ever before so I think there is room for him in visions/ghosts/etc and have it still be awesome.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I've heard Benicio Del Toro is gonna be one of the main villains. Not really sure how he fits into everything but its interesting to think about.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Maybe this is blasphemous, but the presence of the Force "ghosts" is one of my only gripes with the Star Wars films in general. I understand that it's supposed to be a big deal, as it represents the "immortality" that Qui Qon discovered, but it just feels like a cheap way for Jedi to learn what they need to know.

Show me a young Jedi searching out ancient Sith and Jedi temples and looking for holocrons, and actually having to learn things rather than just having a ghost or a voice tell them.

(I think "The First Jedi Temple" was mentioned in The Force Awakens, so I have hope)

But I will be bummed if a bunch of Force Ghosts play a large roll in the next films. Flashbacks via the force? Fo Sho. Blue see-through dead guys? No way Jose.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Dual of fates lightsaber fight was amazing one of the most memorable parts of all 7 movies now ( minus the cut scenes showing young anakin skywalker blow up the trade federation) . I do agree the Yoda and Dooku fight was a little lame due to the age of both of them.

As far as the new movie goes I loved it, had some tears roll with the death of Han, and please please no more death stars or mega planet killer weapons.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Who was the old dude at the beginning of the movie?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Corry View Post
                                                                                                    Who was the old dude at the beginning of the movie?
                                                                                                    That's a great question. I was wondering about that too.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X