Chicago for St. Paddy's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago for St. Paddy's Day

Me and 3 friends, all between the ages of 28 and 32, are headed to Chicago for st patty's day weekend, March 11th through 13th.

Planning to get a hotel near the Maggie Day park or whatever it's called because it sounds like that's where the river dieing takes place so I assume it's close to the action.

Anyone else going? Planning to arrive in chicago around 2pm on friday, so looking for something fun to do the night before as well, might catch a play or show.

We love beer.

I will be there like I am every year

Comment

My buddy has a house literally across the street from Wrigley Field and we usually tap the keg around 7 AM. Then we get real weird with some beer and all the cool drugs and just cause mayhem. My favorite day of the year and I honestly can't freaking wait. Hopefully we meet up Koon, we hit up John Barley Corn usually for the afternoon festivities

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
        My buddy has a house literally across the street from Wrigley Field and we usually tap the keg around 7 AM. Then we get real weird with some beer and all the cool drugs and just cause mayhem. My favorite day of the year and I honestly can't freaking wait. Hopefully we meet up Koon, we hit up John Barley Corn usually for the afternoon festivities
        How far is your friends from the parade area? Idk chicago. SO I guess I'm asking how far is your friends from the Maddie day park.

Comment

There's a chance I'll be in Chicago for St. Paddy's Day.

Comment

Originally posted by koonja View Post
            How far is your friends from the parade area? Idk chicago. SO I guess I'm asking how far is your friends from the Maddie day park.
            Maybe 5 minutes? I'm usually browned out at this stage and we rarely see the parade. Not the coolest thing but it's just sick being down there. I will be in Wrigleyville if that helps you out

Comment

Me and 3 friends, all between the ages of 28 and 32, are headed to Chicago for st patty's day weekend, March 11th through 13th.

Planning to get a hotel near the Maggie Day park or whatever it's called because it sounds like that's where the river dieing takes place so I assume it's close to the action.

Anyone else going? Planning to arrive in chicago around 2pm on friday, so looking for something fun to do the night before as well, might catch a play or show.
              This should help you out:

St. Patrick's Day Weekend Events

Comment

Originally posted by Black Irish View Post
                This.
                What did Davonte do?

Comment

Amateurs.
                  Originally posted by koonja
                  I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Parade and river dyeing are sh** shows. Hit up the bars - wrigleyville is always insane, I used to live across from Wrigley and they always closed the street from Addison to like Newport.

If you do the river Koon, River North bars will be packed but fun, and old town a little north of there is always a good time.

The city is absolutely ridiculous on Paddy's so enjoy.
                    www.chicagosportstown.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChiRish View Post
                      Parade and river dyeing are sh** shows. Hit up the bars - wrigleyville is always insane, I used to live across from Wrigley and they always closed the street from Addison to like Newport.

If you do the river Koon, River North bars will be packed but fun, and old town a little north of there is always a good time.

The city is absolutely ridiculous on Paddy's so enjoy.
                      Which part of the city us best to be at? We're not going to have time to hop between neighborhoods, so we're going to drop anchor at one and drink a ton of beer.

If anyone has a house they want to rent out for the weekend, message me. About to pull the trigger on a hotel that's 200 a night and .4 miles from madly day park. What part of thr city is madleyday considered? Just going with that as it's close to the river dyeing.

Comment

Which part of the city us best to be at? We're not going to have time to hop between neighborhoods, so we're going to drop anchor at one and drink a ton of beer.

If anyone has a house they want to rent out for the weekend, message me. About to pull the trigger on a hotel that's 200 a night and .4 miles from madly day park. What part of thr city is madleyday considered? Just going with that as it's close to the river dyeing.
                        Depends really on your style and preference for drinking. Thing is all the bars are overcrowded, it's one of the more popular drinking days of the year and if the weather is nice all bets are off. I usually go the GB route and day drink first, but the bars are crowded from morning to night.

Maggie Daley park is right off lake shore, east of the loop. For hotel purposes I would imagine it would classify as the loop. You won't spend much time drinking in that area, but its not like everything is super far.

River North is reliable for the age group, Wrigleyville is slightly younger, Old Town a mix of the two somewhat... it really depends.

Try to grab a corned beef from Manny's before you leave town.

Comment

Why not? Use the L and you can hit 3 or 4 different areas over the course of a day and night.

Comment

Wrigleyville all the way, on any day
                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

If you are down to move around, Wicker Park is fun if you can handle some of the hipster scene, the bars there have outstanding beer selection.

For nights other than Paddy's while in town, I recommend hitting up Kingston Mine for live blues, Headquarters Beercade for free arcade games and awesome beer selection, if the weather is nice, Sheffield's off Sheffield and north of Belmont, Old Town Ale House, Green Mill in Uptown, and one of my favorites, Fountainhead off Montrose and Damen in Ravenswood. Fountainhead has a sweet rooftop bar perfect for day beers if the weather is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                Why not? Use the L and you can hit 3 or 4 different areas over the course of a day and night.
                                Agreed, you can hit the entire city over a 3 day weekend and it is worth it.

Comment

I've been saying 'Madley Day Park'. What I meant was 'Maggie Daley Park'. I think you guys knew that but pointing out since I wasn't close on spelling.

Comment

Is there a boat cruise down the river that's worth while? That allows drinking of course?

Comment

Yeah Id say once you're done with seeing the River and parade head to Hubbard street in River North. Then after that just hop on the Red or Brown line and go experience Wrigleville on St Pattys day. If the weather is nice, the party usually spills into the street.

Comment

Koon if you wanna drink and get messed up I would just hang on the north side. If you wanna go see the parade and see the river dye, trust me it's a waste of time.

Comment

How about a dim, old-fashioned Irish place that's been around for years that hasn't been overrun with hipsters looking for something authentic? The closer to O'Hare the better.

Comment

Which part of the city us best to be at?
                                            Schaumburg

Comment

FYI - anyone else checking in for hotels - make sure you check the over night parking charge. I've never stayed at a hotel where you pay additional to park. I've seen prices range between $35 and $70 per night for parking.

Comment

of course i'm impartial to the NYC parade but I always wanted get to Chitown for theirs. heard its great.

the savannah ga one is great too; went down there once in my misspent youth--plan to return if I can!

Comment

How about a dim, old-fashioned Irish place that's been around for years that hasn't been overrun with hipsters looking for something authentic? The closer to O'Hare the better.
                                                  5 Roses in Rosemont is the place you are trying to avoid... but shouldn't. It's a really nice joint but not over run with hipsters. It's just not a hipster part of Chicagoland.

O'Donnel's Pub in Franklin Park is what you are talking about. Good food too.

Comment

Is there a boat cruise down the river that's worth while? That allows drinking of course?
                                                    Yes there is a cruise that shows you all the biuldings and stuff...I've been on it with a bunch of knuckle heads and had fun. But that was in the summer! This is Patty's Day so you need to hunker down in a bar and visit with your chaps while listening to Irish music. Forget the parade, shows, green dye in rivers! Drink beer and chase strange! Or, at least look at strange.

Comment

Northwest side has a strong Irish population and a lot of authentic pubs. Options include Vaughn's, The Thatch, Sixpenny, Curragh and Three Counties.

You also won't be too far from the massive Irish American Heritage Center which is sure to have a lot going on.

Comment

Yes, let me rent out my house to four dude-bros that are going to be sh*t-faced all weekend. What could possibly go wrong?
                                                        I'm afraid I just blue myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Quinntastic View Post
                                                          Yes, let me rent out my house to four dude-bros that are going to be sh*t-faced all weekend. What could possibly go wrong?
                                                          eI do it every year in South Bend for the weekend. Crash and park at the girl's house, gone all game day. They make $400. Win win. Bang bang. Completely understand you not wanting to, but it's a good idea for a lot of ppl.

Comment

Try airbnb.com for a rental house, that's what I use when we go to Chicago.

Comment

Savannah's better.......Runs out of the room.

Comment

Just booked for Friday and Saturday.

Address: 333 N Dearborn St, Chicago, IL 60654

Comment

Good location in the middle of the city so you can explore a lot of options

Comment

Originally posted by Corry View Post
                                                                    On my bucket list for sure, heard good things. When i was a kid growing up here they always had footage of the Savannah parade on tv which i always thought was neat
                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

If you have time hit up Bridgehouse Tavern for brunch. Many a drunken/hungover morning on the river there, and the food is awesome.

Comment

I've only been to Savannah briefly and it was while I was driving through to Tybee Island. The main old town square area seems haunted. Got a weird vibe from that place.

Comment

Any secret overnight parking options downtown near 333 N Dearborn St?

Our current best option is the Millenium Parking - 25 N Michigan Ave.

$40 a night, $80 total. 1 mile from our hotel.

Comment

I'll be in Chicago for my sisters wedding in the end of March but not for St Patty's Day.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                              This.
                                                                              Thanks, lads, for giving me a break from my annual correcting and chastising of the unlearned ...

Comment

• #40
                                                                                The fun bus is fueled up and leaving at 8am on Friday morning. Get excited.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room ftw.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Now if we can only get people, groups, advertisers, etc. from using drawings/photos of four leaf clovers rather than the trinity-inspiring three leaf clover ...

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Happy St. Paddy's Day, ya'll:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nda_OSWeyn8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Worst drive home ever because of that hangover.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            A selfie stick?

#CmonMan

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              A selfie stick?

#CmonMan
                                                                                              Honestly they take awesome pics. And are lik $9.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                A selfie stick?

#CmonMan
                                                                                                #JustKoonThings

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Like you guys didn't know I was a selfiesticker.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Like you guys didn't know I was a selfiesticker.
                                                                                                    This is true.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X