X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish#1
    replied
    Got home from work and found the wife made Italian sausage for dinner. Green peppers, onions, mozzarella, and sauce on a big bun. I'm not ashamed to say I had two.

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Also just cracked open some CHezRiTH VaLLeY (lol) pickled green beans I picked up from Cabelas... good lord these are good.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I have really enjoyed Smashburger (the place, not the style) every time I’ve had,... one of the better burger chains for me. Haven’t had one in years tho

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyjack
    replied
    Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    Freddys isn’t great but not bad,... I ‘like’ it. I’ve never had Culver’s but have only heard good things. InO is def my choice for a drive thru burger tho. However I get getting burnt out. They only have a few menu items to choose from and their secret menu is all just variations. Here in EP for a fast food burger I honestly just go McDonalds. The Jack is garbage here for some reason. Way worse than Cali,... and the Carl’s is still okay but a bit overpriced for what it is. It’s McDs or Whataburger and I’ll take McDs. El Pollo loco is opening near me too apparently,... THATS good fast food
    I wouldn't say Freddy's has a better burger than In N Out, but their fries and fry sauce are a big step up, and the burger's close enough that I'll often spring that way now.

Culver's is great. The cheese curds alone can justify the decision if you're not in the mood for fries. And their burger is at least as good as In N Outs. More of a true smash burger (thinner, crispier patties), softer bun, more cheese, etc. It's pricier, though.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    It might be blasphemy, but I've really lost my taste for In N Out. These days I'd rather get a fast food burger and fries at Shake Shack, Culver's or Freddy's.
    We've had Steak n Shakes here in Indy forever. Freddy's opened up here a couple years ago. Like them both. Pretty much the same burger, but I tend to like Freddy's just a little better. Culver's is very similar and very good as well. Steak n Shake's shakes are very good and a great deal during Happy Hour.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Btw, wife made homemade fish enchiladas (red) last night. When I say homemade I mean she did everything from scratch, sauce, tortillas,... well I guess she didn’t make the cheese lol,... boys, legit the best enchiladas I’ve ever had... especially for red which usually isn’t my jam. I was super impressed
    I’ve never had fish enchiladas... I could dabble.

My dad’s specialty is an enchilada casserole that he can make en masse at the firehouse when it’s his night to cook. He does a homemade cornbread recipe that has jalapeņo in it as the side... that’s good stuff.
    Last edited by IrishLion; 05-27-2021, 11:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Btw, wife made homemade fish enchiladas (red) last night. When I say homemade I mean she did everything from scratch, sauce, tortillas,... well I guess she didn’t make the cheese lol,... boys, legit the best enchiladas I’ve ever had... especially for red which usually isn’t my jam. I was super impressed

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    My mom said it was just as good in different ways,... haven’t had yet. I do know this the Popeyes one MUST be spicy with extra sauce for me or it’s nothing special,... with that tho,... geez, so good

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    I tried the new KFC chicken sandwich the other day, to see how it holds up amongst the other contenders in the Great Chicken Sandwich War of the 2020’s.

It’s like the Great Value version of the Popeye’s sandwich, which is not a diss. Popeye’s is still the tops for me, because it’s always hot and fresh and crispy outside with juicy inside, and the buns are always steamed perfectly in the little foil bag.

But KFC is pretty damn close to the same recipe. The only difference is the spicy version of KFC’s has a regular chicken breast with spicy sauce, whereas Popeye’s has an actual spicy chicken breast to go with the Cajun sauce.

The next time I’m drunk early on a Saturday night, I’m gonna do the Chick-Fil-A menu hack and make Buffalo chicken mac’n’cheese.

Food videos on social media are gonna result in my early demise lol.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Freddys isn’t great but not bad,... I ‘like’ it. I’ve never had Culver’s but have only heard good things. InO is def my choice for a drive thru burger tho. However I get getting burnt out. They only have a few menu items to choose from and their secret menu is all just variations. Here in EP for a fast food burger I honestly just go McDonalds. The Jack is garbage here for some reason. Way worse than Cali,... and the Carl’s is still okay but a bit overpriced for what it is. It’s McDs or Whataburger and I’ll take McDs. El Pollo loco is opening near me too apparently,... THATS good fast food

Leave a comment:

• greyhammer90
    replied
    It might be blasphemy, but I've really lost my taste for In N Out. These days I'd rather get a fast food burger and fries at Shake Shack, Culver's or Freddy's.
    I think Freddy's burgers are meh. On the other hand, they do make fried cheese curds that are real cheese curds and not just small pieces of mozzarella. Big respect there. That might be old hat for you midwestern boys but cheese curds aren't a "thing" that you can really buy in the South.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyjack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    I mean, it's fast food, why would anyone expect it to be better than that? Even Chick-fil-a is only good for fast food chicken. If I wanted a really good burger, there's plenty of places in town that do them well.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Zel, if you ever DO get InO don’t expect much more than a great fast food burger. There’s so many better sit down chains and such and I find people expect this life changing thing and thus come away disappointed. It’s still just fast food, just made fresh.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Dang now I want Steak N Shake

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

I've not been to In N Out but based on what I've heard, it shouldn't really be comparable to Steak N Shake. Steak n Shake has pretty decent milkshakes though. Like their chili too
    Oh def not!! Sorry for the lack of clarity. SnS is opening near me and I will def hit it up,... HOWEVER, there is a sit down joint that’s all openly knocked off of InO and since it’s not fast food it’s actually a bit better and that has become my go to burger joint in El Paso,... so I don’t know how often I’ll hit up SnS. That’s what I meant. I remember liking SnS years ago but it’s been far too long to give details, I def did not get an InO vibe at all tho.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    A steak and shake is opening literally around the block from me,... I had it in Cali once but it was years ago. There’s a InO knockoff in town that’s become my go to but I’ll def try SnS when it opens
    I've not been to In N Out but based on what I've heard, it shouldn't really be comparable to Steak N Shake. Steak n Shake has pretty decent milkshakes though. Like their chili too

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Sounds great ACamp1900! Sunday my buddy, who is Filipino, is making lechno! Super excited for us to drink some delicious IPAs while watching the suckling pig roast.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Anyway,... you know I like to smoke. I just got a new Oklahoma Joe’s smoker and while I usually don’t do brisket (I just prefer other meats) I figure I’ve been in Texas long enough. This weekend I’m doing my beer can chicken and a 9 pound brisket I just picked up. Wife will make some potato salad and I’ll do so cornbread to go with. Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    A steak and shake is opening literally around the block from me,... I had it in Cali once but it was years ago. There’s a InO knockoff in town that’s become my go to but I’ll def try SnS when it opens

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Most of them have closed here in Arizona. Every time I drive by one of the few remaining What-a-burgers out here, I have to wonder who's keeping them open.

Speaking of Serious Eats, I can't recommend their smash burger recipe enough. Start with 80/20 ground chuck and roll them into 2 oz balls. Get the cast iron ripping hot on the grill outside, then smash, season, flip, cheese and plate them. Once it hits the grill, the whole process takes less than a minute. Way tastier and more consistent than any of the thicker "cooked-to-order" recipes I've tried in the past.
    Sounds like Steak n Shake and Freddy's burgers. Stopped recently at Freddy's one night a little before 10:00PM. Had one of the granddaughters with us. We place our order which was basically three combos. Clerk hands us our order and along with our combos, we get a sack of fries. We had enough fries to feed about 10 people. I guess they were feeling generous! lol

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Just got an early b day present from the wife,.. Oklahoma Joe’s Rider Pellet Grill. It’s already cured and I just put some chicken in it lol

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied

My BiL talked me into trying intermittent fasting about 6 months ago, and it's been amazing. You just pick an 8-hour window (mine is typically 11:00a - 7:00p) in which you can eat basically anything you want, and you eat nothing outside of that window. So now I just skip breakfast, eat a big lunch around 11:30a, and then either a small dinner or just a cocktail with the family when I get home. Keeps me at my fighting weight with nearly zero effort/ deprivation on my part.
    Started that a couple years ago. At my extreme, I reduced it down to a 4 hr window, I'm back up to 8. Lost nearly 20 lbs at one point, which was borderline too skinny for me so I started eating more. The nice thing about IF is the flexibility for different people. OMAD, 16/8, 18/6, 20/4, EOD fasting, etc.

Leave a comment:

• GowerND11
    replied
    Anyone watch foodie shows? My wife and I run through them,... Street Food on Netflix, Somebody Feed Phil, Man, Fire, Food,... anything with G Garvin.

Right now we just discovered the Kimchi Chronicles,... right up our alley.

I can’t watch a traditional sitcom or episodic show at all anymore but if it’s true crime, foodie, or historical I’m all over it. Idk
    If you count GGG, Chopped, and Beat Bobby Flay then yes.

I've been wanting to try Street Food actually. I almost exclusively watch sports, cooking, and some historical stuff myself anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyjack
    replied
    I’ve been doing fasting twice a week now since February strictly for heart health. My FiL inspired me as he does it for religious reasons and I thought, why not?

hasn’t been that hard tho I’d lie if I said a few dinners got blown up by certain cravings but yeah, think I can do this long term. Long line of bad hearts on my family tree so trying to do what I can to extend this journey.
    My BiL talked me into trying intermittent fasting about 6 months ago, and it's been amazing. You just pick an 8-hour window (mine is typically 11:00a - 7:00p) in which you can eat basically anything you want, and you eat nothing outside of that window. So now I just skip breakfast, eat a big lunch around 11:30a, and then either a small dinner or just a cocktail with the family when I get home. Keeps me at my fighting weight with nearly zero effort/ deprivation on my part.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I’ve been doing fasting twice a week now since February strictly for heart health. My FiL inspired me as he does it for religious reasons and I thought, why not?

hasn’t been that hard tho I’d lie if I failed to say a few dinners got blown up by certain cravings but yeah, think I can do this long term. Long line of bad hearts on my family tree so trying to do what I can to extend this journey.
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 05-11-2021, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Smash Burger is pretty good tho. I’ve never had one near me but always try to hit it up when I know I’ll be in the neighborhood of one.

Ill def look into The Food Lab... sold.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post

Every time I see a review or youtube video on Whatabuger it always looks meh.
    I’ve been told by SO MANY Texans their Patty Melt will be the best one I’ve ever had,... epic!!

brah, it’s like the rest of their food, completely flavorless. How you can make a patty melt with literally zero flavor is an achievement I’ll give them that. But ‘you ain’t Texan if you ain’t love Whataburger!!!’

I calling it whatabooger from now on.

Leave a comment:

• greyhammer90
    replied

Most of them have closed here in Arizona. Every time I drive by one of the few remaining What-a-burgers out here, I have to wonder who's keeping them open.

Speaking of Serious Eats, I can't recommend their smash burger recipe enough. Start with 80/20 ground chuck and roll them into 2 oz balls. Get the cast iron ripping hot on the grill outside, then smash, season, flip, cheese and plate them. Once it hits the grill, the whole process takes less than a minute. Way tastier and more consistent than any of the thicker "cooked-to-order" recipes I've tried in the past.
    Kenji Lopez Alt is a genius, that's for sure. I've never tried a recipe of his that wasn't at least a *great* version of the thing I'm making. His book, The Food Lab, is my frequent recommendation if you're going to own one cookbook. It's massive and has a great/best version of just about everything.

I introduced my dad to those smash burgers and it may have done some damage to his arteries lol. They are just too easy, fast, consistent and delicious for their own good.

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Living in Texas is cool,... Texas>>> California okay?? So this isn’t that... but seriously the worst thing about living in Texas???

Whataburger. It’s not just the food but also the Twilight Zone level complex out here over it. Whataburger is what you get when you order In N Out from Wish! and Texans want to fight you if you refuse to say it’s the best burger... I’m honestly expecting a camera crew to jump out at any moment telling me I’m being Punk’d.
    Every time I see a review or youtube video on Whatabuger it always looks meh.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Anyone watch foodie shows? My wife and I run through them,... Street Food on Netflix, Somebody Feed Phil, Man, Fire, Food,... anything with G Garvin.

Right now we just discovered the Kimchi Chronicles,... right up our alley.

I can’t watch a traditional sitcom or episodic show at all anymore but if it’s true crime, foodie, or historical I’m all over it. Idk

Leave a comment:

• greyhammer90
    replied
    Living in Texas is cool,... Texas>>> California okay?? So this isn’t that... but seriously the worst thing about living in Texas???

Whataburger. It’s not just the food but also the Twilight Zone level complex out here over it. Whataburger is what you get when you order In N Out from Wish! and Texans want to fight you if you refuse to say it’s the best burger... I’m honestly expecting a camera crew to jump out at any moment telling me I’m being Punk’d.
    Whataburger is the most mediocre of all the "best burger ever" regional swear-upons. I'd put it behind In N Out, Shake Shack, and Five Guys.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyjack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• greyhammer90
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
    Who here makes Tahini?

What's your secret?
    https://www.seriouseats.com/israeli-...i-sauce-recipe

This stuff is crack on any good medaterinian dish.
    I love making Tahini and tzatziki for gyros or falafel.
    Last edited by greyhammer90; 05-10-2021, 04:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied

Last edited by ACamp1900; 05-10-2021, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Oh man I forgot to mention cumin, I edited the recipe for anyone that already copied. Cumins important and I totally spaced on it. I am the epic fail

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    Thanks for the share ACamp!

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Who here makes Tahini?

What's your secret?

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Very fair, kinda how I've approached my pozole. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    I use three and then add the fourth if it starts to cook down too much. It does come out more soup than stew so if you like it the other way cut back on the broth but I’d adjust the seasonings down a bit too. I suppose I’m at a place where I’ve learned to not add water if it cooks down so I always have more broth on hand now.
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 05-07-2021, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    You really use 192 oz of broth for this amount of albondigas? I would've though 4 cans/boxes of 48 oz broth would be too much. Maybe I just prefer my soups & stews thicker

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    No, you can if you want I suppose. I never have and it comes out great

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    you dont brown the meatballs first?

Leave a comment:

• ACamp1900
    replied
    Ha, no tease intended. Just sharing a cool story. I’ll always share any recipe someone actually wants. So, the albondigas that got all the recent love:

for a good sized family, feeds about five or six well.
    Soup
    -4 48 ounce low sodium chicken broths
    -olive oil
    -1 medium brown onion
    -2 large carrots
    -1 zucchini
    -1 bell pepper
    -about a cup up or so of hunts tomato sauce
    -lawyers seasoning salt
    -1 bottle of la Victoria green sauce
    -3 cloves minced garlic
    -1 half packet of Goya brand Saxon seasoning
    -1 one can hunts diced tomato, nothing added
    -cumin
    -juice of a fresh lime
    a handful of cilantro diced
    For meatballs
    -1 pound of 85 ground beef
    -1 9 oz package of cacique beef chorizo
    -fresh mint finely diced about two leaves
    -fresh parsley about 1/4 cup diced fine
    -1/2 cup white rice
    -lil oregano
    -1 egg
    -Lawrys garlic salt like two healthy shakes
    -pepper

i make the meat balls first. Just throw everything in a bowl together and mix it well. I do it with my hands but if you have some other way more power to you. Once well mixed ( the chorizo color is pretty well spread and not just dotted) I roll the balls. I make them just a bit smaller than a golf ball which is smaller than most. I think this makes a difference. Set aside and let them firm up a bit.

soup: I slice the carrots pretty thin like a quarter would be, maybe a lil thicker. I slice the onion and bell pepper exactly as you would for fajitas. Zucchini I cube up. I then add to the pot once the pot and oil are heated up. I add the garlic after about a minute, seasoning salt, Goya, about 2-3 good shakes from a cumin container and a bit of pepper if you like. Once it cooks for maybe five minutes I add the can of tomatoes. Cook like another minute and then add everything else except one of the chicken broths and the diced cilantro. The Lawrys is really to taste but I do about two or three healthy shakes while veggies are cooking and maybe another healthy shake when the broth is added. The last container of broth I add as needed if it cooks down too much. If you add water it just dilutes the flavor. I typically do use all four but not always. Yes, throw the entire bottle of green sauce in, that and the lawrys are the secret weapons here.

once it starts to lightly boil I add the meat balls one at a time. Lightly boil for about ten minutes then lower to simmer, add cilantro and cover, it’s ready when it’s ready. Like chili this is better the longer it has to come together. I often make this in the morning for dinner.

You can add potatoes or green beans or corn if you like. I’ve seen some do that but this is what I do for veggies,...
    hope you that try it enjoy!
    Last edited by ACamp1900; 05-07-2021, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied
    Let's see that recipe dude
    Doubling this request. I am also the family chef (extended family included) so holidays and events can often fall to me. Would love to try this.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    On the way home from vacation, the wife and I made a detour to intentionally stop at this little joint in Gulf Shores called The Steamer. Ordered the Little Lagoon Steamer tray. Huge offering of Crab Legs, Royal Reds, Shrimp, Oysters, Clams, Corn on the Cob, New Potatoes and Sausage. We could only finish about half. Packed the rest in the cooler and had it the next day. Highly recommend it if you're in the area.

https://gulfcoaststeamer.com/wp-cont...eamer-Menu.pdf
    Can confirm. Great place to eat. Gulf Shores is one of my favorite places on the planet.

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Let me brag on myself a bit,... my wife’s family runs a church group that builds homes across the border for poor Mexican families in Juarez. They recruit volunteers from all over the country and from more affluent areas of Mexico and build homes like twice a year. Every time they do they also ask for people to cook for the volunteers, which I’ve done numerous times with tacos, lasagna, jambalaya etc,... a couple weeks ago I made a huge pot of albondigas and got the reviews back today. According to the Mexican lady that helps run the program every single volunteer, Mexican and American, said it was the best albondigas they’ve ever had... everyone wants my contact info to get the recipe,... I take pride in my cooking and that made me feel pretty good.
    Would like to see what you use... my family makes a pretty mean pot of albondigas

Leave a comment:

• greyhammer90
    replied
    Seriously, what a tease.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied

Leave a comment:

Adsense