Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha, I've never had white castle other than those freezer section things... I do know I can't think of a eatery that seems to have a more wide disparity of opinions. It seems just all over the map regarding what people seem to think of it.
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Hey #1...

You got any White Castle stories from the store that was a few blocks south of I-65 near the Legion HQ and Masonic Cathedral? I don't know the address but it was a TINY building on a 6 way near there. It was one of the first ones in the country. We'd hit it when ever we were in Indy or passing through to KY/Nashville when I was a kid... because I was a sliderholic as a child.

That place was better than all the Stuckey's on I-65 between Gary and Florida combined!

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
        Ha, I've never had white castle other than those freezer section things... I do know I can't think of a eatery that seems to have a more wide disparity of opinions. It seems just all over the map regarding what people seem to think of it.
        Oh it's bad BUT when you are jacked up on Natty Ice and need to snuff the belly growls, NOTHING is better than White Castles.

The problem is always the next day. Cholera's got nothin on WC's

Comment

• [QUOTE=NDCrusader;2133182]Oh it's bad BUT when you are jacked up on Natty Ice and need to snuff the belly growls, NOTHING is better than White Castles.

The problem is always the next day. Cholera's got nothin on WC's[/QUOTE]

No truer words have ever been spoken.
          I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• [QUOTE=NDBoiler;2133184]
            Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
            Oh it's bad BUT when you are jacked up on Natty Ice and need to snuff the belly growls, NOTHING is better than White Castles.

The problem is always the next day. Cholera's got nothin on WC's[/QUOTE]

No truer words have ever been spoken.
            A survivor speaks. Stay strong!

Comment

• Can't be worse than taco bell... right??? there's a reason I grew up a Del Taco person when it came to munchie food....
              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Gonna try that taco soup tonight tho I think I’m gonna cut the beans and tomatoes in half,... just sounds like a lot. I’ll report on that ranch packet craziness

Comment

Can't be worse than taco bell... right??? there's a reason I grew up a Del Taco person when it came to munchie food....
                  Yes, it’s much worse but worth when on a bender around 3am. Whities smell the same going in as they do coming out. It’s a unique smelling dump.

Comment

• Idk why but that ranch packet does add a nice touch,... it’s very good for a meal that takes ten minutes to make

Comment

• We used to call them maggot muffins, belly bombs and sliders. Use to eat them by the dozen but now I keep it to three. The intestinal track ain’t what it use to be.
                      Last edited by Irish#1; 10-24-2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                        Hey #1...

You got any White Castle stories from the store that was a few blocks south of I-65 near the Legion HQ and Masonic Cathedral? I don't know the address but it was a TINY building on a 6 way near there. It was one of the first ones in the country. We'd hit it when ever we were in Indy or passing through to KY/Nashville when I was a kid... because I was a sliderholic as a child.

That place was better than all the Stuckey's on I-65 between Gary and Florida combined!
                        I know the one you're talking about. It sat empty for years, but someone bought the building about a year or two ago to restore it. Haven't been by it in a while.

We pounded those things every Friday and Saturday night after chasing tail. Order anywhere from 10-15 with fries and an orange and spend about $1.25. It was like going to church on Sunday, a weekly religious experience. We hit the one on Pendleton Pike and Shadeland Ave if you're familiar with the area.

I have one less then a block from work. Every once in a while I’ll hit it for lunch, but I stay in my office the rest of the day. Lol
                        Last edited by Irish#1; 10-24-2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• Sometimes I pick up a couple crave cases and leave them in the office kitchen or conference room with a "please enjoy!" sign. I start making my rounds about 3pm. It's a total disaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                            Sometimes I pick up a couple crave cases and leave them in the office kitchen or conference room with a "please enjoy!" sign. I start making my rounds about 3pm. It's a total disaster.
                            Lol hilarious,... they’re that bad huh??

Comment

It's like an illegal drug. You have to have it and that first bite puts you in Nirvana. There are consequences afterwards. :cheeburga

They are pretty tasty. The side effects come from the dried onions. They throw a bunch on the grill, add water and once they've been rejuvenated they cook the burgers on top of them.

Comment

• Tried to make my grandma's chicken & rice last night. It turned out pretty good, but not in her league. My wife put some shredded cheese on hers. My grandma would have kicked her as$ if she were alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                  Tried to make my grandma's chicken & rice last night. It turned out pretty good, but not in her league. My wife put some shredded cheese on hers. My grandma would have kicked her as$ if she were alive.
                                  <---------this guy, steak burritos for dinner the last three days.

Monday Tienda Morelos #8 (Stop 11 and Madison) on the way back from the dentist. Tuesday Chipolte carne asada and yesterday back to Tienda Morelos. Lady got the steak quesadillas yesterday...those were fantastic as well.

Tonight or maybe tomorrow, I'm going to try to talk her into steak and lobster at Outback.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                    <---------this guy, steak burritos for dinner the last three days.

Monday Tienda Morelos #8 (Stop 11 and Madison) on the way back from the dentist. Tuesday Chipolte carne asada and yesterday back to Tienda Morelos. Lady got the steak quesadillas yesterday...those were fantastic as well.

Tonight or maybe tomorrow, I'm going to try to talk her into steak and lobster at Outback.
                                    Dentist is probably grateful you stopped after and not before.

Comment

They're just well known for giving people gas that could wake up the dead. I don't really eat fast food and I probably have them about once a year, if not less. They're okay. Like #1 said, it was definitely a place to go after a night of drinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                        They're just well known for giving people gas that could wake up the dead. I don't really eat fast food and I probably have them about once a year, if not less. They're okay. Like #1 said, it was definitely a place to go after a night of drinking.
                                        The aroma is pretty good and there is no mistaking them for something else, so if you grab some to bring back to the office for lunch, everyone knows.

I personally like Krystal's better.

Comment

The aroma is pretty good and there is no mistaking them for something else, so if you grab some to bring back to the office for lunch, everyone knows.

I personally like Krystal's better.
                                          Never been to Krystal's before. Are they in Indy? I must have missed it.

Have you or anyone else ever had Power's in Fort Wayne? FW doesn't have White Castle (or at least didn't during my college days) so when partying downtown Power's was the late night crave spot. I got DUI one night heading there after closing down Flashbacks.

Also, Hanover College (Madison IN) has a nice late night slider joint named Hinkles. I used to do a lot of partying down there back in the day and we someway/somehow seemed to end up at Hinkles more times than not.

Comment

Never been to Krystal's before. Are they in Indy? I must have missed it.

Have you or anyone else ever had Power's in Fort Wayne? FW doesn't have White Castle (or at least didn't during my college days) so when partying downtown Power's was the late night crave spot. I got DUI one night heading there after closing down Flashbacks.

Also, Hanover College (Madison IN) has a nice late night slider joint named Hinkles. I used to do a lot of partying down there back in the day and we someway/somehow seemed to end up at Hinkles more times than not.
                                            Krystal's are down south. You start seeing them pop up in Tennessee. There might be one in southern KY off the highway. They also have these killer miniature coney dogs they call pups.

Surprised FW doesn't have WC's since the corporate HQ is here in Indy. We were at Hanover mid September to watch the granddaughter play in a v-ball invitational. Walked right by Hinkles. We ate at a bar that was recommended.

Comment

• (Sees 'Krystal', thinks of the sauce of the God's):

Comment

Krystal's are down south. You start seeing them pop up in Tennessee. There might be one in southern KY off the highway. They also have these killer miniature coney dogs they call pups.

Surprised FW doesn't have WC's since the corporate HQ is here in Indy. We were at Hanover mid September to watch the granddaughter play in a v-ball invitational. Walked right by Hinkles. We ate at a bar that was recommended.
                                                Gotcha, and thank you. I've seen Krystal's, just not in Indy, but have never ate there. Probably because I'm usually not hammered at 3am when making the drive down I65.

I just googled it...still the same, no Whiteys in FW. The closest in IN looks to be Daleville/Muncie area off of 69.

The recommended bar I'm sure was a much more pleasant dining experience...good choice. I'm not sure I'd recommend any of these slider joints unless, as noted many times, you're well above the legal limit in the wee hours of the morning.

True story - my 21st birthday I was home for college and staying with mom. She woke me up around 6am the next morning passed out in the recliner with a ten sack of unopened Whiteys sitting on my chest. Mom was like..."are you going to eat those, or do you want me to put them in the fridge for later?". I just crawled into bed and didn't reply.

Comment

(Sees 'Krystal', thinks of the sauce of the God's):

When reading through this page, I was waiting for your comment on it...

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                    When reading through this page, I was waiting for your comment on it...
                                                    I'm a simple man...

Comment

Gotcha, and thank you. I've seen Krystal's, just not in Indy, but have never ate there. Probably because I'm usually not hammered at 3am when making the drive down I65.

I just googled it...still the same, no Whiteys in FW. The closest in IN looks to be Daleville/Muncie area off of 69.

Oh boy,
                                                      Do I have news for you...
                                                      The reason there's no Whitecastle is because... They can't compete with POWERS HAMBURGERS

**warning, your clothes will become an onion upon entering**

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                        Oh boy,
                                                        The reason there's no Whitecastle is because... They can't compete with POWERS HAMBURGERS

Many late night trips to Powers from years ‘99 through ‘03. Was just in FW last Saturday and didn’t even think about going to Powers...her son wanted nasty ass Rally’s anyways. I’ll make it a point to grab a slider or ten the next time we go to a Tin Caps game.

Comment

• Got home and started working in the yard right away. The wife joined me so neither of us felt like cooking when we were done, so I made grilled cheese.

Kroger's Private Selection Oats & Honey bread.
                                                          Slice of White Sharp Cheddar
                                                          Slice of American
                                                          Slice of Colby

KABOOM!

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                            Oh boy,

Looks tasty. Will have to remember them next time I go up to our FW office. WC's aren't bad, but they're not the best burger either. The porcelain palace built its reputation by being open 24 hours long before anyone else thought about it, so after a night of drinking and tom foolery, your choices were very limited:
                                                            1. White Castle
                                                            2. White Castle
                                                            3. White Castle
                                                            4. All of the above

Comment

Looks tasty. Will have to remember them next time I go up to our FW office. WC's aren't bad, but they're not the best burger either. The porcelain palace built its reputation by being open 24 hours long before anyone else thought about it, so after a night of drinking and tom foolery, your choices were very limited:
                                                              1. White Castle
                                                              2. White Castle
                                                              3. White Castle
                                                              4. All of the above
                                                              You get one rep credit for using tom foolery in 2019

BUT a one rep deduction for neglecting to mention Denny's. If you haven't been shaken back to consciousness by a Denny's waitress trying to get you to pay & go home, you did not drink enough in your 20's.

Comment

• This will be the first weekend I've been home where the weather will be chilly at night, around 40ish degrees. Trying to decide between making:

1) Chili
                                                                2) Red Beans and Rice
                                                                3) Lasagna

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Chili, big bowl of red!

Comment

BUT a one rep deduction for neglecting to mention Denny's. If you haven't been shaken back to consciousness by a Denny's waitress trying to get you to pay & go home, you did not drink enough in your 20's.
                                                                    Married at 20 with a young one. Went out with the boys once in a while, but most of my drinking was done in my teens.

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                    This will be the first weekend I've been home where the weather will be chilly at night, around 40ish degrees. Trying to decide between making:

1) Chili
                                                                    2) Red Beans and Rice
                                                                    3) Lasagna
                                                                    4) All of the above
                                                                    FIFY

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                      This will be the first weekend I've been home where the weather will be chilly at night, around 40ish degrees. Trying to decide between making:

1) Chili
                                                                      2) Red Beans and Rice
                                                                      3) Lasagna
                                                                      Love all three, I have killer version of 1 and 3 that my family loves and asks for regularly but I have never quite nailed 2 to my own personal liking. If you have a Red Beans recipe you stand by I'd love to have it.

Comment

If you haven't been shaken back to consciousness by a Denny's waitress trying to get you to pay & go home, you did not drink enough in your 20's.
                                                                        Pretty much, we had a reg night waitress that would hook us up with free food all the time and we'd hook her up with as much in tips as our broke asses could afford at the time. She'd let us take home those Denny's growlers and such, and take to go orders we didn't pay for, she was a God send. We even brought her flowers and stuff once. Would love to know what happened to her.
                                                                        Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-25-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

3:30am Sunday mornings you're bound to find a group of strippers at either Denny's or IHOP. For some reason shaking that ass all night makes them hungry for pancakes.

Comment

Love all three, I have killer version of 1 and 3 that my family loves and asks for regularly but I have never quite nailed 2 to my own personal liking. If you have a Red Beans recipe you stand by I'd love to have it.
                                                                            https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ce-recipe.html

Made a few months ago and it was excellent.

Comment

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ce-recipe.html

Made a few months ago and it was excellent.
                                                                              I made this a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Got my recipe from another site, but the recipe is identical. I didn't use the vinegar, but the results were pretty good.

Comment

• [/IMG]

[/IMG]

Ruth's Chris last night before the Pacers game. 24 oz medium cooked T-bone and the lobster mac & cheese. So wonderful!!

This morning, off to the favorite breakfast spot Metro Diner I do believe for the B&G, scrambled eggs with cheese and hash browns breakfast meal along with a side of sausage patties...maybe a choco milk too just for shits and giggles. :)
                                                                                Last edited by Irish2155; 11-09-2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Any good random suggestions for a cold weather dinner? Looking to make something new.

Comment

Any good random suggestions for a cold weather dinner? Looking to make something new.
                                                                                    We had meatloaf the other night. First time in well over a year.

Comment

Any good random suggestions for a cold weather dinner? Looking to make something new.
                                                                                      Beef and Barley Stew

Comment

• That taco soup was pretty legit for having 'hamburger helper' prep time to it... posole, tortilla and albondiga soups are all legit for this time of year too.

I'm trying fried cabbage for the first time tomorrow night. Anyone with any input before I jump in??
                                                                                        Last edited by ACamp1900; 11-13-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Posole would be good. If you can find a good recipe for a West African peanut stew, go for that. Seriously delicious.

Comment

• So, thanksgiving...

I totally planned a big dinner by ourselves as NO ONE form our family communicated anything to us about getting together.

We don't really like traditional Thanksgiving dishes and sides that much so I had planned: Large Prime Rib roast, mustard greens, lumpia, garlic potatoes, pancit and green chile cornbread...

then we got a miserable phone call from my mother in law about how we all have to spend it together and how our brohter in law (with the smallest house of course) is hosting... he's also married to the only woman in the family that doesn't cook so now it's a freakin pot luck. FML

Now I'm just taking the cornbread, making brussel sprouts and a pumpkin pie... then we are saving the good meal we planned for Friday.

and,.. that's my story... what's everyone else making?? lol
                                                                                            Last edited by ACamp1900; 11-27-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

So, thanksgiving...

I totally planned a big dinner by ourselves as NO ONE form our family communicated anything to us about getting together.

We don't really like traditional Thanksgiving dishes and sides that much so I had planned: Large Prime Rib roast, mustard greens, lumpia, garlic potatoes, pancit and green chile cornbread...

then we got a miserable phone call from my mother in law about how we all have to spend it together and how our brohter in law (with the smallest house of course) is hosting... he's also married to the only woman in the family that doesn't cook so now it's a freakin pot luck. FML

Now I'm just taking the cornbread, making brussel sprouts and a pumpkin pie... then we are saving the good meal we planned for Friday.

and,.. that's my story... what's everyone else making?? lol
                                                                                              We're all over that a couple of weeks out. The wife tells everyone what she is making and the kids chime in with the rest. Works out well.
                                                                                              We go traditional:
                                                                                              Turkey
                                                                                              Dressing
                                                                                              Mashed Potatoes
                                                                                              Mac & Cheese
                                                                                              Waldorf Salad
                                                                                              Broccoli and cheese
                                                                                              Green Bean casserole
                                                                                              Rolls
                                                                                              Sweet Potatoes
                                                                                              Pumpkin pie
                                                                                              Pecan pie
                                                                                              Coconut Cream pie
                                                                                              Sugar Cream pie

I will be comatose at approximately 3:00pm eastern time.

Comment

• Every Turkey Day and Xmas Grams makes me my own cherry delight. The rest of their family gets to split one. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but damn that stuff is like crack.

Comment

We're all over that a couple of weeks out. The wife tells everyone what she is making and the kids chime in with the rest. Works out well.
                                                                                                  We go traditional:
                                                                                                  Turkey
                                                                                                  Dressing
                                                                                                  Mashed Potatoes
                                                                                                  Mac & Cheese
                                                                                                  Waldorf Salad
                                                                                                  Broccoli and cheese
                                                                                                  Green Bean casserole
                                                                                                  Rolls
                                                                                                  Sweet Potatoes
                                                                                                  Pumpkin pie
                                                                                                  Pecan pie
                                                                                                  Coconut Cream pie
                                                                                                  Sugar Cream pie

I will be comatose at approximately 3:00pm eastern time.
                                                                                                  That is the time Grams starts her festivities in Farhill Downs. Wake your ass up, grab a partner and come on over to get smacked around in some euchre. We'll be playing all night. I caution, the cigarette smoke is thick...think I'm the only non-smoker in the family.

Comment

• My cousin’s husband is English and brought his homemade shepherds pie this year. Stole the show...it was great!!!

Comment

• Four questions:

1. Where's your family from?

2, Do you eat Pee-can pie or Puh-kahn pie?

3. Do you use Miracle Whip or Mayo on today's turkey...

4. Sah-which - San-which - San-dwitch - Sand-which - Sam-mich or Sah-mich?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X