Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
    I recently gutted my house and I'm just about ready to install floors and cabinets. The cabinet quote, of course, came back higher than I anticipated. I'm considering buying ready to assemble (RTA) cabinets to save a few bucks but I'm worried the loss of quality may not be worth the savings. I generally use cabinets to go for my rental properties but noticed they increased their prices and the quality isn't the best. Has anyone used another company that they'd recommend?

    Flooring has been a pain in the ass too. I know I'm going with hardwood and I'm leaning towards engineered rather than solid b/c I don't want to deal with issues created by expansion and contraction. I'm thinking about buying from Shaw or Johnson - seems like both of them make quality products for the price. Anyone have any experiences with either solid or engineered wood floors or a recommendation regarding the brand?
    We put in real hardwood floors (crawl space) about five years ago. No issues with expansion/contraction. Ask how long the wood cures before they use it to make the flooring. Two of my sons work in restoration (mold, water, fire, etc.). One has been in it for about 15 years. He highly recommends staying away from engineered flooring. Rips them out all the time. Spill anything on it and no matter how quick you clean it up some will get underneath. It may not be right away, but you'll eventually see that area start to deteriorate. Replacing that section can be a pain. That's the biggest reason we went hardwood. Can't help on the cabinets.

    Comment


    • Wooly you'll appreciate this sweet justice -

      So my new company requires me to be here 6 months before they pay for my tuition. I started on July 27th, and my 6 month 'anniversary' would then be January 27th.

      My spring class would start on January 25th, technically 183 days (so 1/2 day pas 'half a year') after my start date, but it doesn't matter - they're strict on the anniversary method for measuring 6-months, so I gotsta sit out another 4 months unless I pay out of pocket.

      All is right in the world again!

      Comment


      • Can you defer payment for 30 days?
        #TeamKizer

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
          Can you defer payment for 30 days?
          The hold up is 'class start date has to be 6 months after start date'. Regardless of when it's paid, they won't pay if the start date was 5.95 months after my first day on the job.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by koonja View Post
            The hold up is 'class start date has to be 6 months after start date'. Regardless of when it's paid, they won't pay if the start date was 5.95 months after my first day on the job.
            Bastards.
            #TeamKizer

            Comment


            • Originally posted by koonja View Post
              Wooly you'll appreciate this sweet justice -

              So my new company requires me to be here 6 months before they pay for my tuition. I started on July 27th, and my 6 month 'anniversary' would then be January 27th.

              My spring class would start on January 25th, technically 183 days (so 1/2 day pas 'half a year') after my start date, but it doesn't matter - they're strict on the anniversary method for measuring 6-months, so I gotsta sit out another 4 months unless I pay out of pocket.

              All is right in the world again!
              Ahh.... Sweet justice... ;)


              On topic, I just put an offer in for a rental property. It's quite the shit hole. Needs an entire exterior wall removed/replaced, new windows and floor in the front porch, moldy drywall in the basement (easily removed, no where else in the house), kitchen reno, bathroom reno, carpet, paint, siding repair and electric work. Should be a blast.
              Originally posted by koonja
              I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                Ahh.... Sweet justice... ;)


                On topic, I just put an offer in for a rental property. It's quite the shit hole. Needs an entire exterior wall removed/replaced, new windows and floor in the front porch, moldy drywall in the basement (easily removed, no where else in the house), kitchen reno, bathroom reno, carpet, paint, siding repair and electric work. Should be a blast.
                So I had two companies, one local, one Sears come estimate the replacement for 10 windows for my place. 8-9K a piece.

                I measured and bought the windows myself at Home Depot, and agreed to give a friend $1,500 to help me put them in. He brought his truck up with 2 other friends that volunteered on Friday night at 8pm. We were hoping to work all night Friday and Saturday, and finish by ~ 8pm on Saturday so we could go out.

                We started our first window by 8:30pm on Friday night. Had 2 windows removed, replaced, caulked, and trimmed by 9pm. Look at one another and decided not only could we possibly finish Friday night, but we could get drunk in doing it.

                Had all 10 windows installed and trimmed by 11:30pm Friday night and we at the bar by midnight. Partied all of Saturday.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                  So I had two companies, one local, one Sears come estimate the replacement for 10 windows for my place. 8-9K a piece.

                  I measured and bought the windows myself at Home Depot, and agreed to give a friend $1,500 to help me put them in. He brought his truck up with 2 other friends that volunteered on Friday night at 8pm. We were hoping to work all night Friday and Saturday, and finish by ~ 8pm on Saturday so we could go out.

                  We started our first window by 8:30pm on Friday night. Had 2 windows removed, replaced, caulked, and trimmed by 9pm. Look at one another and decided not only could we possibly finish Friday night, but we could get drunk in doing it.

                  Had all 10 windows installed and trimmed by 11:30pm Friday night and we at the bar by midnight. Partied all of Saturday.
                  Dude, everyone told you windows were simple.
                  #TeamKizer

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                    So I had two companies, one local, one Sears come estimate the replacement for 10 windows for my place. 8-9K a piece.

                    I measured and bought the windows myself at Home Depot, and agreed to give a friend $1,500 to help me put them in. He brought his truck up with 2 other friends that volunteered on Friday night at 8pm. We were hoping to work all night Friday and Saturday, and finish by ~ 8pm on Saturday so we could go out.

                    We started our first window by 8:30pm on Friday night. Had 2 windows removed, replaced, caulked, and trimmed by 9pm. Look at one another and decided not only could we possibly finish Friday night, but we could get drunk in doing it.

                    Had all 10 windows installed and trimmed by 11:30pm Friday night and we at the bar by midnight. Partied all of Saturday.
                    Very nice. Good onya for taking the initiative. There are a ton of things with home improvement that is super easy if you just take a crack at it.

                    Now we just need to get you in that crawl space.
                    Originally posted by koonja
                    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                      Dude, everyone told you windows were simple.
                      Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                      Very nice. Good onya for taking the initiative. There are a ton of things with home improvement that is super easy if you just take a crack at it.

                      Now we just need to get you in that crawl space.
                      To be fair, my friend had done ~ 40 window replacements by his estimation, and he said he's never had them go this easy and the 8pm on Saturday was his estimation. We got lucky in that a really old home was perfectly square and the measurements were near perfect. We didn't use a single shim. It could have been a lot more work, but we lucked out.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                        Very nice. Good onya for taking the initiative. There are a ton of things with home improvement that is super easy if you just take a crack at it.

                        Now we just need to get you in that crawl space.
                        I'll bet his next 'self install' project will be hidden cameras in the other bedrooms.
                        #TeamKizer

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                          I'll bet his next 'self install' project will be hidden cameras in the other bedrooms.
                          I got $5 on a Glory Hole.
                          Originally posted by koonja
                          I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                            So I had two companies, one local, one Sears come estimate the replacement for 10 windows for my place. 8-9K a piece.

                            I measured and bought the windows myself at Home Depot, and agreed to give a friend $1,500 to help me put them in. He brought his truck up with 2 other friends that volunteered on Friday night at 8pm. We were hoping to work all night Friday and Saturday, and finish by ~ 8pm on Saturday so we could go out.

                            We started our first window by 8:30pm on Friday night. Had 2 windows removed, replaced, caulked, and trimmed by 9pm. Look at one another and decided not only could we possibly finish Friday night, but we could get drunk in doing it.

                            Had all 10 windows installed and trimmed by 11:30pm Friday night and we at the bar by midnight. Partied all of Saturday.
                            I'm imagining 10 windows slightly out of level or square. lol

                            Good for you and as Wooly said, get your butt in the crawl space.

                            Comment


                            • Actually now is probably the best time for the crawl space. Temps are falling.
                              Last edited by Irish Insanity; 11-04-2015, 07:22 PM.
                              #TeamKizer

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                                Actually now is probably the best tie for the crawl space. Temps are falling.
                                But the creepy crawlers are looking for a winter home! lol

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                  But the creepy crawlers are looking for a winter home! lol
                                  True story. I killed a wasp last night the size of a baby dragon.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                    True story. I killed a wasp last night the size of a baby dragon.
                                    Did you cry after?
                                    Originally posted by koonja
                                    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                      Did you cry after?
                                      A little, but Koon was over and he big-spooned me in the flannel sheets while we watched Sound of Music on the iPad.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                        A little, but Koon was over and he big-spooned me in the flannel sheets while we watched Sound of Music on the iPad.
                                        That sounds like a delightful evening.
                                        Originally posted by koonja
                                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                          That sounds like a delightful evening.
                                          I replaced the tank gasket on my toilet. Real hoot.

                                          Comment


                                          • Anyone know how to rid of carpenter bees? I've only noticed one spot from years back before. But this last year I had one make a home in the front of the house, and one in the back. I used every kind of bee foam and spray they make. Even filled the holes with the foam. The bastards turned around and made another hole next to it. Being it's getting cold they seemed to have left or are buried in for the winter. But they'll be back next year. I'd like to know how to prevent that.
                                            #TeamKizer

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                                              Anyone know how to rid of carpenter bees? I've only noticed one spot from years back before. But this last year I had one make a home in the front of the house, and one in the back. I used every kind of bee foam and spray they make. Even filled the holes with the foam. The bastards turned around and made another hole next to it. Being it's getting cold they seemed to have left or are buried in for the winter. But they'll be back next year. I'd like to know how to prevent that.
                                              That's what I dealt with this summer. They were in the attic right above my bed and their gnawing sound was unbearable. Unfortunately my attic is inaccessible and to reach them from the outside would have required a three-story ladder, which I don't have. Paid $200 and had the professionals do the exterminating, then sealed up their access point with that expanding foam. I have vinyl siding so they weren't actually eating into the house. They were entering through a gap and then eating the wood inside the attic and wall.

                                              Contact poison won't work because it won't wipe out the colony. You need something with delayed action so it gets spread around to the whole colony and queen or they'll keep coming back.
                                              Last edited by wizards8507; 11-05-2015, 07:08 AM.

                                              Comment


                                              • My house is currently wood sided. I haven't had any previous experience with them so I didn't even know at first what it was. But a few years ago the wood trim above the garage had like a honeycomb look to it and needed to be replaced or filled in a spot. Fast forward the this past year. My daughter kept talking about a large bee hanging around outside of her window. So I investigate closer. There was a hole on the thin side of the trim directly in to the center of it. Maybe thumb size. So I threw some bee foam in it. A week later the kids are playing out back. I look up. Similar bee. Same size hole. I use the same foam. A few days later there were 2 or 3 holes in each the front and the back. If I sprayed one spot they'd simply drill a new hole. They don't actually enter in to my house anywhere. They actually hollow out and burrow in the wood trim. I've been told you can silicone or foam fill the holes and they won't return. But the whole house is wood sided and I'm sure they'll be back when the weather gets warm again. Also, I don't know if they sting at all, but 2 of the 5 people on my house are allergic to bees. Sounds like contacting an exterminator may be the only option.
                                                #TeamKizer

                                                Comment


                                                • They sting, but I'm not sure if wasps and carpenter bees have the same venom. You might want to figure out for sure the species in case that makes any difference to who's allergic and who's not.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                    They sting, but I'm not sure if wasps and carpenter bees have the same venom. You might want to figure out for sure the species in case that makes any difference to who's allergic and who's not.
                                                    It's been years, but my wife still laughs at this one.

                                                    She's nailing a picture hanger on the inside wall right between the front door and the picture window. On the outside of where she is nailing in a shutter. Unbeknownst to us, wasps had built a nest behind the shutter. I walk out the front door right after she finished hammering. Naturally, the wasps were pissed and hit my right hand like a jack hammer. I was dancing and cussing loudly out on the driveway for a couple of minutes. She calls her mom to ask her how to treat a sting and she tells her to have me soak it in epsom salt. WRONG! That drew the poison up my arm and the hole thing was swollen for about a week.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                      A little, but Koon was over and he big-spooned me in the flannel sheets while we watched Sound of Music on the iPad.
                                                      You must have some awesome abs to get Koon.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                        You must have some awesome abs to get Koon.
                                                        No, that's a front. Koon is actually a chubby-chaser.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Seems like as good of a thread as any for this.

                                                          Halloween haunted trail behind our house this year was a lot of fun. Anyone have some ideas for home made props they have done to spruce it up next year?

                                                          I'm hitting all the stores for clearance stuff, think I will use some masks and stuff some costumes to get some scarecrow type of things set up. Make it harder to distinguish inanimate shadows from the ones that grab you.

                                                          6th and 3rd graders were the main victims although the moms went through and were probably more scared than the kids. Then again, taking them in the woods at night would have scared most of them without any props!

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Hit all the stores dumpsters for manekin (spelled wrong) parts or whole ones.
                                                            #TeamKizer

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Installing Central Air in the spring.

                                                              Had an estimate done from a mom/pa shop. Here it is. Does this seem reasonable or should I get a 2nd quote from a larger company? I like the guy, I'd like to give him the business. But if I can save $500, I will.

                                                              Trane 2 Ton XR Air Conditioner M# 4TTR3024 Sub-Total $4,148.00
                                                              Factory Cased 2 Ton Evaporator Coil Instant Rebate < 200.00>
                                                              10 year parts warranty, 2 years labor Net Total $3,948.00

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Doesn't sound to bad. But often adding AC to an existing sysyem isn't just that simple. Many furnaces that were installed w/o AC to begin with aren't set up to accommodate adding one.
                                                                #TeamKizer

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                  Installing Central Air in the spring.

                                                                  Had an estimate done from a mom/pa shop. Here it is. Does this seem reasonable or should I get a 2nd quote from a larger company? I like the guy, I'd like to give him the business. But if I can save $500, I will.

                                                                  Trane 2 Ton XR Air Conditioner M# 4TTR3024 Sub-Total $4,148.00
                                                                  Factory Cased 2 Ton Evaporator Coil Instant Rebate < 200.00>
                                                                  10 year parts warranty, 2 years labor Net Total $3,948.00
                                                                  How long do you plan on owning the home?

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                                    How long do you plan on owning the home?
                                                                    Depending on how much of a pain in the *** renting is, 5, 10, 20 years?

                                                                    If I were to find the right lady and hunker down, I could even sell in a few years to buy a home for myself. I've already done the research on putting in 4 window AC's vs. central air. I'm going to to central air because I just put in brand new windows and dont want tenants Fn with them and the AC units, and also the convenience/low monthly cost + resale value (I know I wont get every dollar, but still).

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                      Installing Central Air in the spring.

                                                                      Had an estimate done from a mom/pa shop. Here it is. Does this seem reasonable or should I get a 2nd quote from a larger company? I like the guy, I'd like to give him the business. But if I can save $500, I will.

                                                                      Trane 2 Ton XR Air Conditioner M# 4TTR3024 Sub-Total $4,148.00
                                                                      Factory Cased 2 Ton Evaporator Coil Instant Rebate < 200.00>
                                                                      10 year parts warranty, 2 years labor Net Total $3,948.00
                                                                      I had a Carrier HP installed about ten years ago. Almost all of the major manufacturers provide 10 years parts and labor warranties these days. Ask what kind of a SER rating the unit has. The higher the SER rating the better the energy efficiency. Government rules state 13 is the minimum. Does this include a new thermostat to control both cooling and heating? Now's the time to upgrade the thermostat. Make sure you can set schedules for while you're at work, weekends, vacation, etc. That in itself will save you money. A central unit will help the resale value down the road. Buyers will see windows units as an expense.

                                                                      BTW........The company I used to work for supplied the paint for Trane A/C units. Trane was forgoing priming before painting as a way to cut costs. I wondered what else (compressor, coil, etc.) they were eliminating or cutting back on to reduce costs?

                                                                      Check out this site.
                                                                      https://www.furnacecompare.com/air-c...trane/reviews/
                                                                      Last edited by Irish#1; 01-08-2016, 03:24 PM.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                        Depending on how much of a pain in the *** renting is, 5, 10, 20 years?

                                                                        If I were to find the right lady and hunker down, I could even sell in a few years to buy a home for myself. I've already done the research on putting in 4 window AC's vs. central air. I'm going to to central air because I just put in brand new windows and dont want tenants Fn with them and the AC units, and also the convenience/low monthly cost + resale value (I know I wont get every dollar, but still).
                                                                        I think you're making the right move installing central air, I just think the price of the unit is high. I bought a 1 1/2 ton unit a couple years ago and paid about a grand. If you plan on moving within five years, I'd buy something a bit less expensive.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                                          I think you're making the right move installing central air, I just think the price of the unit is high. I bought a 1 1/2 ton unit a couple years ago and paid about a grand. If you plan on moving within five years, I'd buy something a bit less expensive.
                                                                          I think you know this but just to be clear, the 4K includes the installation. I still think that's higher than I expected.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                            I had a Carrier HP installed about ten years ago. Almost all of the major manufacturers provide 10 years parts and labor warranties these days. Ask what kind of a SER rating the unit has. The higher the SER rating the better the energy efficiency. Government rules state 13 is the minimum. Does this include a new thermostat to control both cooling and heating? Now's the time to upgrade the thermostat. Make sure you can set schedules for while you're at work, weekends, vacation, etc. That in itself will save you money. A central unit will help the resale value down the road. Buyers will see windows units as an expense.

                                                                            BTW........The company I used to work for supplied the paint for Trane A/C units. Trane was forgoing priming before painting as a way to cut costs. I wondered what else (compressor, coil, etc.) they were eliminating or cutting back on to reduce costs?

                                                                            Check out this site.
                                                                            https://www.furnacecompare.com/air-c...trane/reviews/
                                                                            All good questions. I do not know. I do know he said my current thermostat will work for the AC unit as well. It appears to be pretty new (I think new furnace came in 2013).

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                              I think you know this but just to be clear, the 4K includes the installation. I still think that's higher than I expected.
                                                                              What's the square footage of your house? Is installation as simple as plug and play, or are there furnace panel mods required to marry the two? How will the condensation be pumped out? Will that require any extra installation or equipment that's in the quote? Any installments of ductwork?
                                                                              #TeamKizer

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                                                                                What's the square footage of your house? Is installation as simple as plug and play, or are there furnace panel mods required to marry the two? How will the condensation be pumped out? Will that require any extra installation or equipment that's in the quote? Any installments of ductwork?
                                                                                Geez man, no changes to ductwork, that's all I can say. Square footage is 1,500. I think he has to do one thing to the electrical but IDK what it is. FWIW, it's a breaker panel.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • He's adding a separate circuit breaker for the A/C.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Need to replace this bathroom exhaust fan. It doesn't spin, just tries to and peters out. How do I get this F'er off? There are no outside screws or anything to remove.

                                                                                    [IMG][/IMG]

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Pull the center. It should have a spring like contraption holding it on.
                                                                                      #TeamKizer

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                                                                                        Pull the center. It should have a spring like contraption holding it on.
                                                                                        The light cover? I feel like the center-metal thing will prevent that from coming off.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Use your brain, Koon. Christ... You're replacing it, rip the farqer off.

                                                                                          Your like a child...
                                                                                          Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                          I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Got the light cover off. There's the light and then another metal plate that I'm trying to get off, not sure how. Also, the thing I just pulled off is hanging by two things that look like metal chopsticks. is that normal?

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                                              Got the light cover off. There's the light and then another metal plate that I'm trying to get off, not sure how. Also, the thing I just pulled off is hanging by two things that look like metal chopsticks. is that normal?
                                                                                              Squeeze the two chopsticks which should allow you to remove it.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                                                                                                Squeeze the two chopsticks which should allow you to remove it.
                                                                                                Cack, this better not be a joke...

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                                                  The light cover? I feel like the center-metal thing will prevent that from coming off.
                                                                                                  Looking at it closer, it's older than dirt, you'll need to crawl I'm the attic. Pretty site the ring around the light pops right off or the light cover itself. Ripping either off will hurt nothing. Seriously tho, to replace it, you have to get to it from the top.
                                                                                                  #TeamKizer

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                                                    Got the light cover off. There's the light and then another metal plate that I'm trying to get off, not sure how. Also, the thing I just pulled off is hanging by two things that look like metal chopsticks. is that normal?
                                                                                                    Yes. Normal. Typically those have some spring action to them to hold it up. Is this in between 2 floors or on the top floor?
                                                                                                    #TeamKizer

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                                                      Cack, this better not be a joke...
                                                                                                      It's not. Squeeze the metal rods together on each side and it should pull out.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X