Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by koonja View Post
    Had to replace an old, original door leading from the kitchen to the basement yesterday. Took all of the original wood framing out and have the new door and frame in there, just have to get some shimmies and screw everything together. Did it all by my lonesome.

The window guy is coming tonight to give me an estimate on replacing 10 original windows. Old, wooden frame, single hung windows. I think the framing being original will add to the cost, but any idea what I should feel comfortable with as an estimate? I'm loosely estimating it being a $4,000 job. 10 windows at $200 a pop, and $200 labor per window.
    If it's an old home, and the doors are salvageable, don't ever replace them. That's character you can never put back in. If it's beyond repair, go to your local habitat store. They'll almost always have an older door to replace it with to keep it close to original.
    #TeamKizer

Comment

• I really appreciate the side advice guys, but if someone with knowledge could answer the question I'll rep bomb you.

Comment

• The windows being old and frames being wood shouldn't matter. They remove them completely and insert a new window. Some companies offer where they remove the 2 sections of windows and put a new window basically as an insert inside of the old frame. It keeps the original character if it's an older home. It shouldn't cost anywhere near $200 a window for install. However, $200 per window is a bit low. And you haven't stated the size of the windows either. Are they all the same. 7 different sizes. Standard off the shelf window sizes or custom. All of those things matter.

I had a drain back up last week. Kitchen sink. Only thing on that plumbing run. Took me a few nights to do it. Had to cut open the pipe and snake it thru. Now sewage on that run, but it ran directly into the outgoing drain pipe. No trap in between. The stuff inside wasn't pleasant, but the raw sewage smell leaking back in for a few hours till it was sealed back up was horrible. Enjoy working on your house. Lol.
        #TeamKizer

Comment

Had to replace an old, original door leading from the kitchen to the basement yesterday. Took all of the original wood framing out and have the new door and frame in there, just have to get some shimmies and screw everything together. Did it all by my lonesome.

The window guy is coming tonight to give me an estimate on replacing 10 original windows. Old, wooden frame, single hung windows. I think the framing being original will add to the cost, but any idea what I should feel comfortable with as an estimate? I'm loosely estimating it being a $4,000 job. 10 windows at $200 a pop, and $200 labor per window.
          You can get basic, standard size, single hung replacement windows for less than $200. If you get special order windows, it'll probably be around $200-$300.

$200 per window is a bit excessive if all they're doing is removing and replacing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
            The windows being old and frames being wood shouldn't matter. They remove them completely and insert a new window. Some companies offer where they remove the 2 sections of windows and put a new window basically as an insert inside of the old frame. It keeps the original character if it's an older home. It shouldn't cost anywhere near $200 a window for install. However, $200 per window is a bit low. And you haven't stated the size of the windows either. Are they all the same. 7 different sizes. Standard off the shelf window sizes or custom. All of those things matter.

I had a drain back up last week. Kitchen sink. Only thing on that plumbing run. Took me a few nights to do it. Had to cut open the pipe and snake it thru. Now sewage on that run, but it ran directly into the outgoing drain pipe. No trap in between. The stuff inside wasn't pleasant, but the raw sewage smell leaking back in for a few hours till it was sealed back up was horrible. Enjoy working on your house. Lol.
            Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
            You can get basic, standard size, single hung replacement windows for less than $200. If you get special order windows, it'll probably be around $200-$300.

$200 per window is a bit excessive if all they're doing is removing and replacing.
            Thanks guys. I'm going to offer to take all of the current framing out myself in order to reduce costs.

I don't have family in Minnesota, so I need to establish a 'go to' plumber and electrician. Other things I'm comfortable doing alone, but I'm not touching plumbing, electric, or windows apparently, haha.

How would you go about establishing a contact in a new city? I've never used angie's list but I'm guessing that's it?

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going to offer to take all of the current framing out myself in order to reduce costs.

I don't have family in Minnesota, so I need to establish a 'go to' plumber and electrician. Other things I'm comfortable doing alone, but I'm not touching plumbing, electric, or windows apparently, haha.

How would you go about establishing a contact in a new city? I've never used angie's list but I'm guessing that's it?
              I'd ask neighbors and coworkers first. Then meet with them and ask for references. A lot of your union tradesmen will do smaller jobs in the evening or on the weekends for extra cash. And it's much cheaper.
              #TeamKizer

Comment

• Look out for replacing rotted sills/framing and whatnot. That is where they can really take off on you. I highly suggest you are around and demand to see damage before it is replaced. On the other side, be like a hawk and look for damage to make sure it is replaced.

Watching a few youtube videos on proper installation so you can be informed when you look over the work being done.

Doing it yourself can allow for buying better windows and taking your time to ensure they are sealed up right. Nothing worse than feeling the drafts around new windows because they didn't seal them well.

Comment

• If you are taking the framing out in advance you might find that replacing the window isn't all that much more work. You should also have fewer surprised for finding damaged areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                    Look out for replacing rotted sills/framing and whatnot. That is where they can really take off on you. I highly suggest you are around and demand to see damage before it is replaced. On the other side, be like a hawk and look for damage to make sure it is replaced.

Watching a few youtube videos on proper installation so you can be informed when you look over the work being done.

Doing it yourself can allow for buying better windows and taking your time to ensure they are sealed up right. Nothing worse than feeling the drafts around new windows because they didn't seal them well.
                    Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                    If you are taking the framing out in advance you might find that replacing the window isn't all that much more work. You should also have fewer surprised for finding damaged areas.
                    These windows are from 1908, so rotting wouldn't surprise me, although there are no signs of it from what's visible.

My realator (whom I swear by) knows the window company and they're local. To use the Harry Potter line, since Dumbeldore trusts them, I trust them.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                      If you are taking the framing out in advance you might find that replacing the window isn't all that much more work. You should also have fewer surprised for finding damaged areas.
                      Taking the frame out is much more work than the aalctual install. Installation simply involves inserting the window, ensuring it's level and square in all directions, sealing around it, and installation of the trim.
                      Originally posted by koonja View Post
                      These windows are from 1908, so rotting wouldn't surprise me, although there are no signs of it from what's visible.

My realator (whom I swear by) knows the window company and they're local. To use the Harry Potter line, since Dumbeldore trusts them, I trust them.
                      I assume there is a lot of old character in this house. Don't lose all that. Honestly you could remove the glass from each section and install now glass. Low energy. It's very simple.
                      #TeamKizer

Comment

Taking the frame out is much more work than the aalctual install. Installation simply involves inserting the window, ensuring it's level and square in all directions, sealing around it, and installation of the trim.

I assume there is a lot of old character in this house. Don't lose all that. Honestly you could remove the glass from each section and install now glass. Low energy. It's very simple.
                        I'll run that by the window guy. Everything in the house besides the windows was redone, so I just want them to go aesthetically. Some of them are hard to open, and half don't have screens. I'll let you know what my options are after the guy comes tonight. I really appreciate the comments.

Comment

• Old windows are super inefficient and royal PIA. I'm guessing most of them are non-functional to boot. I would be curious to hear the difference in your heating bill this year versus last after you replace the windows.

I would DIY install in order to validate spending more on windows that might match the character instead of replacing all the glass. I have glazed my share of windows and have to say I would not envy that project one iota.

Comment

I'll run that by the window guy. Everything in the house besides the windows was redone, so I just want them to go aesthetically. Some of them are hard to open, and half don't have screens. I'll let you know what my options are after the guy comes tonight. I really appreciate the comments.
                            Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                            Old windows are super inefficient and royal PIA. I'm guessing most of them are non-functional to boot. I would be curious to hear the difference in your heating bill this year versus last after you replace the windows.

I would DIY install in order to validate spending more on windows that might match the character instead of replacing all the glass. I have glazed my share of windows and have to say I would not envy that project one iota.
                            Ya, if the windows aren't in good functioning order, and the house has seen newer products introduced already, don't waste the time. New is the way to go.
                            #TeamKizer

Comment

• Koon,

I actually am a supplier to window and door companies, I could probably give the reference to a good local window company if you're interested.

Also I have the hookup for some good drill bits/screwdriver bits that are made in the USA if anybody is into that.
                              "Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!"
                              --Samuel L

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldenToTheGrave View Post
                                Koon,

I actually am a supplier to window and door companies, I could probably give the reference to a good local window company if you're interested.

Also I have the hookup for some good drill bits/screwdriver bits that are made in the USA if anybody is into that.
                                If you're serious, I'm interested. The company coming to do a consultation tonight is Great Lakes Windows and Siding. Like I said, personal referral to them so that's who I'm going with, but would be open to any in the area.

I'll order directly from you to save costs if you want ;).

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldenToTheGrave View Post
                                  Koon,

Definitely. PM me, please.

Comment

• So double pane versus old single pane with a storm window seems to be a wash in the efficiency department surprisingly. One thing we really enjoyed with our new windows was a dramatic improvement in sound. I imagine a storm window dramatically cuts back sound transmittance but they come out in the summer so it is not a year round benefit.

You also have the issue of glass coatings. For areas of the house with a lot of sun, fading and sun damage for floors, curtains, furniture can be pretty significant.

Comment

• My current windows are sash windows with the weighted pulley. Not sure how this affects replacement and costs, so researching now :).

Comment

My current windows are sash windows with the weighted pulley. Not sure how this affects replacement and costs, so researching now :).
                                        So basically looking at doing this. I think I might actually be able to do this alone:

How to Replace Old Double Hung Windows With Vinyl Replacements

How does putting a screen in affect this job? I'm guessing not much at all.

Comment

So basically looking at doing this. I think I might actually be able to do this alone:

How to Replace Old Double Hung Windows With Vinyl Replacements

How does putting a screen in affect this job? I'm guessing not much at all.
                                          Your new windows will have a screen spot already built in. It's part of the window itself.
                                          #TeamKizer

Comment

For the subsidized, correct. My loans are about half and half. I pay through, though. Which is why I am stuck with you IE freebies and cannot afford a premier site :)
                                            The government may pay the interest on your Federal Perkins Loan, Direct Subsidized Loan, and/or Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan.

The government does not pay the interest on your unsubsidized loans (or on any PLUS loans). You are responsible for paying the interest that accrues (accumulates) during the deferment period, but your payment is not due during the deferment period. If you don’t pay the interest on your loan during deferment, it may be capitalized (added to your principal balance), and the amount you pay in the future will be higher.

I didn't want to misquote, so I pulled this from the governments web site. As you can see the government may or may not pay. You need to check on each one to verify for sure so you don't get any major surprises later. I'd hate for you to find out you have a lot more debt to repay than you thought you did.

Comment

• Your windows will vary in price due to manufacturer, size, style, efficiency, type of hardware and if you need them custom made. For example, my house was built in '88 with 2 X 6 framing, so when I replaced my windows they had to be custom made. The guys are right. $100 per window for replacement is more in line with what should be quoted.

P.S. If this is a brick house, you will probably have to replace the brick molding. The original probably won't be usable after you take it out.

Comment

• The weight hangs in an empty void in the wall - that means uninsulated exterior wall space. Windows are inefficient enough, making your walls just as inefficient does not help matters. Then you have the opening in your wall at the pulley. Take the time to do something about it while you are doing the windows b/c you might never have it opened up again.

Our first house was built in 1924. Remodeled the kitchen down to the studs to find the north wall had no insulation (which should not have been a surprise given the old cabinets on that wall were an ice box in the winter).

Comment

• Not a brick house.
                                                  Last edited by koonja; 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• When did you hit the City of Lakes? I sold my home on Powderhorn Park and headed to the Adirondacks where my brother has a lake cabin. It would have been nice to bend the elbows a few times.

I also would up leaving a whole lotta stuff behind – pots, pans, stand mixer, fryer, a dining room set (4'X5' table with three 12" leaves and eight chairs), a shit load of books. Oh, and a nice couch and a comfy easy chair.

I might have been able to set aside some things for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                      Definitely. PM me, please.
                                                      Not sure why PM'ing you doesn't seem to be working.

My company is Weil Industrial Hardware. I distribute Apex screwdriver bits/sockets and Champion Cutting tools drill bits and such (masonry bits/countersinks/reamers/burrs/etc). All apex parts are made in the US, most Champion parts are including all the twist drills. Their Brute Platinum line is pretty amazing.

Just curious what industry/trade are you in?
                                                      "Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!"
                                                      --Samuel L

Comment

• Originally posted by dshans View Post
                                                        When did you hit the City of Lakes? I sold my home on Powderhorn Park and headed to the Adirondacks where my brother has a lake cabin. It would have been nice to bend the elbows a few times.

I also would up leaving a whole lotta stuff behind – pots, pans, stand mixer, fryer, a dining room set (4'X5' table with three 12" leaves and eight chairs), a shit load of books. Oh, and a nice couch and a comfy easy chair.

I might have been able to set aside some things for you.
                                                        5 weeks ago. In some thread I shouted out to you! Can't remember which it was.

Comment

Not a brick house.
                                                          But she was!

Comment

• You need to be very mindful of making sure your new window is installed per manufacturers instructions, especially making sure it is sealed/flashed properly. Otherwise youre wasting your time. Caulking behind the flange and using flashing tape is very important. You need to be completely sure you know what you are doing or else it will be a constant leak problem.
                                                            I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

Not a brick house.

I'll see myself out...
                                                              Originally posted by koonja
                                                              I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• Mine is coming along....

On a related note; has anyone ever built a backyard brick oven/grill?
                                                                "Tribal tattoos: Another way to say you will be sent dick pics."
                                                                -rifftrax

Comment

• Originally posted by Tenacious D View Post
                                                                  Mine is coming along....

IIRC Acamp has
                                                                  #TeamKizer

Comment

• Install consultant came out and the estimate was basically $700 a window for everything. They talked forever about their superior product. Which I believe, but this is a rental and doesn't need the fanciest of double hung windows. It is a local, MN business.

I said no and scheduled home depot to come out for an estimate next week. Also made an inquiry to Sears which hasn't been scheduled.

If anyone knows any other companies that do installs, I'd appreciate it. Looking for functional not fancy.

Comment

Install consultant came out and the estimate was basically $700 a window for everything. They talked forever about their superior product. Which I believe, but this is a rental and doesn't need the fanciest of double hung windows. It is a local, MN business.

I said no and scheduled home depot to come out for an estimate next week. Also made an inquiry to Sears which hasn't been scheduled.

If anyone knows any other companies that do installs, I'd appreciate it. Looking for functional not fancy.
                                                                      $700 a window is beyond absurd. Unless they are massive windows.
                                                                      #TeamKizer

Comment

$700 a window is beyond absurd. Unless they are massive windows.
                                                                        Standard, double hung windows that you'd put a window AC unit in.

Comment

Standard, double hung windows that you'd put a window AC unit in.
                                                                          I'm double hung, just not standard.

Comment

• I hope that was some non-vinyl premium type of window quote? Fiberglass or wood can get that pricey pretty quick but vinyl is in no way worth that.

Comment

• 10 windows came back with estimates of $8,000 and $9,000 for two different companies. All of the windows are the same size, so this seemed ridiculous. Doing a final measurement myself tonight, and taking the info into Home Depot to order through them. That will cost me $2,400 for the 10 windows. From there, giving a friend who does windows for a living (I knew he did construction, but didn't know he did windows as well) $1,500 to put them all in, and I'll be helping him do them. So cuts my cost in about half, helps a friend out, and I actually might learn something. Win, win, win.

Comment

• Sounds like a pretty good deal in the end.
                                                                                Stick around during the install, you could learn something.
                                                                                #TeamKizer

Comment

• Advice for establishing a residential electrician and plumber to go to when ish goes down? I don't want to be scrambling at the last second. Just call a business, or angie's list?

Comment

Advice for establishing a residential electrician and plumber to go to when ish goes down? I don't want to be scrambling at the last second. Just call a business, or angie's list?
                                                                                    Friend or neighbor reference. If you're in an area with a bunch of older home, it's likely your neighbors have one on a short list.
                                                                                    #TeamKizer

Comment

10 windows came back with estimates of $8,000 and $9,000 for two different companies. All of the windows are the same size, so this seemed ridiculous. Doing a final measurement myself tonight, and taking the info into Home Depot to order through them. That will cost me $2,400 for the 10 windows. From there, giving a friend who does windows for a living (I knew he did construction, but didn't know he did windows as well) $1,500 to put them all in, and I'll be helping him do them. So cuts my cost in about half, helps a friend out, and I actually might learn something. Win, win, win.
                                                                                      Smart move.

Comment

• Waiting for the windows to arrive, so next project is winterizing my pipes. Anyone have any experience with this? I live in Minnesota, so it's necessary to avoid freezing and/or cracking pipes.

If so, did you hire someone? What did you do? How did you identify exactly what pipes need to be addressed? Is it just the open-sight pipes, or do you go behind the walls somehow?

Comment

Waiting for the windows to arrive, so next project is winterizing my pipes. Anyone have any experience with this? I live in Minnesota, so it's necessary to avoid freezing and/or cracking pipes.

If so, did you hire someone? What did you do? How did you identify exactly what pipes need to be addressed? Is it just the open-sight pipes, or do you go behind the walls somehow?
                                                                                          Do you have a basement?
                                                                                          Do your pipes run thru the exterior walls?

For all external spigots you should have a shutoff inside the house. Shut that off and then open the spigot as if you were turning it on. It's simple and should prevent any freezing.
                                                                                          #TeamKizer

Comment

Do you have a basement?
                                                                                            Do your pipes run thru the exterior walls?

For all external spigots you should have a shutoff inside the house. Shut that off and then open the spigot as if you were turning it on. It's simple and should prevent any freezing.
                                                                                            Yes I have a basement. IDK how to explain it, it's like a college party basement, although marginally nicer. Not finished and we have laundry down there. It has a crawl space which I'm not excited to go into, but I will.

I do not know if my pipes run through my exterior walls. To be frank, IDK shit about plumbing and will have to have someone come out for any issues I have, but if I can somehow figure out what and how to wrap the pipes, I'd do this job myself.
                                                                                            Last edited by koonja; 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Yes I have a basement. IDK how to explain it, it's like a college party basement, although marginally nicer. Not finished and we have laundry down there. It has a crawl space which I'm not excited to go into, but I will.

I do not know if my pipes run through my exterior walls. To be frank, IDK shit about plumbing and will have to have someone come out for any issues I have, but if I can somehow figure out what and how to wrap the pipes, I'd do this job myself.
                                                                                              You can literally buy pipe insulation for really cheap at any big box hardware store. You just need to know if it's 3/4 or 1/2. It's helpful to wrap at least your hot water pipes in an open basement just to keep them from losing all the heat when the water isn't flowing. I have a basement, painted walls and floor, with laundry, and 1 finished room. In a similar climate we don't need to winterize anything outside of the spigots as all the plumbing coming up from the basement to the main level does so directly thru the floor in to whatever cabinet is holding the sink. Since none run on outside walls, and the basement never gets colder than 60, there is no risk to freeze. Any home I've ever lived in, or owned, in this colder climate are has never been at risk for freezing pipes as they've all had basements and none had pipes in the walls.
                                                                                              #TeamKizer

Comment

You can literally buy pipe insulation for really cheap at any big box hardware store. You just need to know if it's 3/4 or 1/2. It's helpful to wrap at least your hot water pipes in an open basement just to keep them from losing all the heat when the water isn't flowing. I have a basement, painted walls and floor, with laundry, and 1 finished room. In a similar climate we don't need to winterize anything outside of the spigots as all the plumbing coming up from the basement to the main level does so directly thru the floor in to whatever cabinet is holding the sink. Since none run on outside walls, and the basement never gets colder than 60, there is no risk to freeze. Any home I've ever lived in, or owned, in this colder climate are has never been at risk for freezing pipes as they've all had basements and none had pipes in the walls.
                                                                                                So here's a dumb question, how do I know if plumbing pipes run on the outside walls? I have one bathroom upstairs where it's the last room on the floor, and the vanity is against the last wall. So I assume I have pluming there on the outside wall.

Comment

So here's a dumb question, how do I know if plumbing pipes run on the outside walls? I have one bathroom upstairs where it's the last room on the floor, and the vanity is against the last wall. So I assume I have pluming there on the outside wall.
                                                                                                  Open the cabinet below the sink. You should see 2 water lines that come thru the floor all the way up to the bottom of the faucet. If so then they run thru the floor not the wall. However, that doesn't mean they don't run thru the exterior wall to get to that level. If you go in to your basement you can see where your water meter is. That's your incoming water. Follow the pipes. If they don't run to the 4 exterior walls, then they don't go up the walls.
                                                                                                  #TeamKizer

Comment

• Originally posted by Tenacious D View Post
                                                                                                    Mine is coming along....

All kinds of OSHA violations in that picture BTW :)
                                                                                                    I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• How old is your house? You live in the Uptown area, no? I assume that it's been around for a while, so I wouldn't worry. As has been said put insulation on the hot water pipes in the basement and shut off and drain any spigots on the exterior.

I lived for 32 years in Mpls in a house built in 1913. As long as your house (including the basement) remains above freezing all should be fine. If for some reason you expect interior temps below freezing open all faucets to allow water to dribble. Water in motion is less likely to freeze.

Trust the folks who built the place. They were well aware of the temperature extremes and acted accordingly.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X