Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Koon,
    Don't be afraid to take on the project. It's not rocket science. My wife and I bought a Victorian home built in 1883. It needed everything. We had no remodeling experience. Her and I alone have done everything (except the roof, she wouldn't let me). This includes replacing electrical (socket, panel, wire), drywall, floors, framing, cabinets.

I tend to think you care more about the stuff you do as opposed to the work you hire out. The key is doing a little homework up front and having the right tools.
    This. Can be done in a weekend. Grab a book and start cutting. Hum-a-da hum-a-da.
    http://www.amazon.com/Decks-amp-Pati.../dp/0764550756
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Has anyone installed in-wall speakers? It seems fairly easy. I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
        Has anyone installed in-wall speakers? It seems fairly easy. I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost. Thoughts?
        You'd be very lucky to have walls that just happened to be exactly in the acoustically optimal location for your seating arrangement. You'd also lose quite a bit of flexibility if you wanted to rearrange your furniture in the future. I prefer speakers on stands so that I can put them where they belong for ideal performance.

Comment

• Anyone on here very familiar with FHA loans and/or an underwriter?

I have a QU about my home loan for closing on August 31st. Basically, I'm to prove 30 days 'proof of pay' at my new job, which I started on July 27th. On August 28th, I'll receive my 2nd bi-monthly pay check, but we're paid a week behind, and so it'll technically only have 26 pay days, although I'll have been employed for over 30 days.

My loan officer is checking with the underwriter now and I'm anxiously waiting the response. Anyone ever have a similar situation or have any idea if they're that strict about 30 days paystubs vs 30 days employment? Are they interchangeable? Thanks for anything.

Comment

Has anyone installed in-wall speakers? It seems fairly easy. I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost. Thoughts?
            We did it with a new construction a while back, liked the look but the sound quality was disappointing. Like Wiz says, correct positioning of the speakers is nearly impossible. Ceiling speakers were good for general background music without blasting the entire house but for a surround sound set up, again hard to point them in the optimal location. Install itself is easy, using can light access points to run wire wasn't hard at all. If the ceiling is insulated might be a bit trickier.

I am looking at Sonos or some other system for remote music right now, don't think I would hard wire again, better to have flexibility in setting up the system.

Comment

• Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
              You'd be very lucky to have walls that just happened to be exactly in the acoustically optimal location for your seating arrangement. You'd also lose quite a bit of flexibility if you wanted to rearrange your furniture in the future. I prefer speakers on stands so that I can put them where they belong for ideal performance.
              My man, I have zero flexibility when it comes to furniture placement in my home. That's dictated by my better half.

You hit one of the issues, though. I wouldn't get the best quality of surround sound but I think it would be better than just using the television (no chance speakers on stands will be parked in my living room...see above). I would also run them to individual rooms and exterior for music.

Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
              We did it with a new construction a while back, liked the look but the sound quality was disappointing. Like Wiz says, correct positioning of the speakers is nearly impossible. Ceiling speakers were good for general background music without blasting the entire house but for a surround sound set up, again hard to point them in the optimal location. Install itself is easy, using can light access points to run wire wasn't hard at all. If the ceiling is insulated might be a bit trickier.

I am looking at Sonos or some other system for remote music right now, don't think I would hard wire again, better to have flexibility in setting up the system.
              How's the quality of sound with wireless systems?
              Last edited by Wild Bill ; 08-20-2015, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by koonja View Post
                Anyone on here very familiar with FHA loans and/or an underwriter?

I have a QU about my home loan for closing on August 31st. Basically, I'm to prove 30 days 'proof of pay' at my new job, which I started on July 27th. On August 28th, I'll receive my 2nd bi-monthly pay check, but we're paid a week behind, and so it'll technically only have 26 pay days, although I'll have been employed for over 30 days.

My loan officer is checking with the underwriter now and I'm anxiously waiting the response. Anyone ever have a similar situation or have any idea if they're that strict about 30 days paystubs vs 30 days employment? Are they interchangeable? Thanks for anything.
                I can't speak specifically to this issue but they are strict about everything. I had to drag them across the finish line at my closing. Good luck.

Comment

The FHA can be picky at times, but the loan officer should be able to pull it off since it's so close to 30 days. If they insist on 30 days, ask the seller to push it back a week. That will get you your 30 days. They should agree. If they don't they have to go to their second offer (if they had one), which may not be as high as yours, but even if it is, they would have to go through the loan process which will take more than the week you might need to ask for. Make sense?

Verizon finally catch on? lol

Comment

I can't speak specifically to this issue but they are strict about everything. I had to drag them across the finish line at my closing. Good luck.
                    Yes, they've been really strict. I've had to show everything from last 10 year's residence down to every dollar of student loan debt. Only thing they didn't ask for is blood type.

I'm HOPING this discretion lies within the underwriter, because he knows I'm in my new job and the 2 pay stubs say as much. But if it's a FHA requirement, AKA, no discretion allowed, and they don't allow you to substitute 'proof of employement' for 'proof of pay', I might be in trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                      I replaced my ducts in the attic with new and similar. The worst and most difficult part was applying the mastic at the joints. Everything else was just physical labor. I stayed with the insulated tubes as they are relatively cheap, easy to work with and easy to handle by yourself.

I also air sealed around the boot and ceiling interface (@ each drop) from the attic side to prevent any cool air from entering back into the attic. Spray foam or a good bit of mastic will work.

Other alternatives are steel square ducts but you still have to wrap them and if you miss any part or leave any exposed steel, you wil get condensation during the summer and fall, especially where we live. Bye bye drywall hello mold. They are hard to assemble and maneuver in tight spaces too. Meteing out the volume can be tricky with these as well. These require at least another pair of adequately skilled hands.

You may know this already but obviously you want smaller ducts the further away from the fan you are. If you aren't getting enough flow at the end runs, your unit may be undersized. Check your return and make sure it's clean and not clogged because that will starve your unit and it will start pulling outside air in from where ever the is a hole. A quick service call to check your coolant cures most ills though.

A word of caution of running duct through the floor joists. I would advise against cutting holes or removing sections of the joists!!!! If the duct does not fit I would leave the joists alone. It's much better to frame under/over them if needed.

I have managed to zero condensation occur since I used the insulated tubes.
                      Thanks, excellent advice. Our climates are similar so the condensation thing is a big issue. I think the air flow problem is largely due to the tubes being a bit flattened and being the longest run. Heat exchange is worst since the run is so long so what about dropping the tubes into the floor joists and filling that in with insulation? Or framing something around the tube to further remove it from the attic "envelope"? Long term we will be finishing out the space which should help as well.

Unit is probably half a ton over-sized technically but I wanted it that way. I seem to recall load calcs were using 95 degree day and a 78 degree constant temp upstairs. I wanted some fudge factor for a hotter day, lower temp, declining system performance and wasn't comfortable they accounted for our open staircase.

I have seen a big need for sealing up each of the vents, also can lights. Some of the calculus on R value impact overall for seemingly small areas of impact like those are VERY compelling.

Swapped out the attic fan motor that was making a racket and already have noticed a meaningful improvement in upstairs A/C quality. Definitely a lot of heat exchange issues on the longer runs.

Anyone spray foam insulate rafters before? Seems like it would help now with the A/C and one less thing to address down the road when we finish the attic.

Comment

My man, I have zero flexibility when it comes to furniture placement in my home. That's dictated by my better half.

You hit one of the issues, though. I wouldn't get the best quality of surround sound but I think it would be better than just using the television (no chance speakers on stands will be parked in my living room...see above). I would also run them to individual rooms and exterior for music.

How's the quality of sound with wireless systems?
                        I'm no audiophile so part of why I am balking at the systems is they aren't cheap. Have a friend that put them in his man cave and seems to like them. They can pump out some volume and a wide range of options to hit various ranges if that is your thing. Big plus is just plug them in and wireless connectivity takes care of the rest, app on your phone or iPad to control everything is pretty sweet. Easy to use so that you actually use it, I think a lot of those systems end up collecting dust because only a tech pro can figure out how to run it.

Comment

Since so many of you cared :)

"The 22nd will work as FHA stance is actually 28 days which is also outlined in the new HUD 4000.1"

Comment

Since so many of you cared :)

"The 22nd will work as FHA stance is actually 28 days which is also outlined in the new HUD 4000.1"
                            Is this for your primary residence or the rental property?
                            Originally posted by koonja
                            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                              Is this for your primary residence or the rental property?
                              Primary. I'm living in the house for 2-3 years with 3 roommies, then sliding out when I become a man :).

Comment

Primary. I'm living in the house for 2-3 years with 3 roommies, then sliding out when I become a man :).
                                I don't believe that you will be able to get another FHA loan when you move out. Those loans are for primary residences, which you can't have two of. You would either have to refi the rental conventionally, or buy your next conventially. The latter of which, would technically make your first mortgage ineligible. If you take out an FHA loan but you donít meet the residency requirements, you could end up being prosecuted for fraud. Even if you donít get in legal trouble, the FHA could decide to accelerate your loan which means youíll have to pay off the principal remaining balance in full.

Comment

I don't believe that you will be able to get another FHA loan when you move out. Those loans are for primary residences, which you can't have two of. You would either have to refi the rental conventionally, or buy your next conventially. The latter of which, would technically make your first mortgage ineligible. If you take out an FHA loan but you don’t meet the residency requirements, you could end up being prosecuted for fraud. Even if you don’t get in legal trouble, the FHA could decide to accelerate your loan which means you’ll have to pay off the principal remaining balance in full.
                                  I'll be fine buying the next one conventionally. Only reason I'm doing FHA is because I'm the sole owner and don't have the savings to make the conventional down payment. By time I buy again, I'll have enough in savings and a strong enough credit/low debt, etc, to buy conventionally.

I could have done conventional this time, but not for the price of this house. The house itself is relatively expensive.

Comment

I'll be fine buying the next one conventionally. Only reason I'm doing FHA is because I'm the sole owner and don't have the savings to make the conventional down payment. By time I buy again, I'll have enough in savings and a strong enough credit/low debt, etc, to buy conventionally.

I could have done conventional this time, but not for the price of this house. The house itself is relatively expensive.
                                    If you buy another primary residence, your rental can't be financed on an FHA loan.

Comment

If you buy another primary residence, your rental can't be financed on an FHA loan.
                                      In that case, the FHA loan will be transfered to conventional. At that point, I'll be past 20% down, which I believe allows me to change.

Comment

I don't believe that you will be able to get another FHA loan when you move out. Those loans are for primary residences, which you can't have two of. You would either have to refi the rental conventionally, or buy your next conventially. The latter of which, would technically make your first mortgage ineligible. If you take out an FHA loan but you donít meet the residency requirements, you could end up being prosecuted for fraud. Even if you donít get in legal trouble, the FHA could decide to accelerate your loan which means youíll have to pay off the principal remaining balance in full.
                                        He should refi the FHA as soon as he gets to 20% equity anyways. Fairly new FHA regulations say that you have to carry PMI for the life of the loan, which really makes it a shit product if you can otherwise qualify for a conventional.

Comment

Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                          In that case, the FHA loan will be transfered to conventional. At that point, I'll be past 20% down, which I believe allows me to change.
                                          You think that in 2-3 years that your mortgage payments will pay down enough principle to make up equity difference? Have you actually looked at an amortization schedule for this loan?

Comment

You think that in 2-3 years that your mortgage payments will pay down enough principle to make up equity difference? Have you actually looked at an amortization schedule for this loan?
                                            Wooly's right. If I were you I'd be chucking every spare dime I came across at this house until you get to 20% equity. Minimum monthly payments aren't going to get you there any time soon.

Comment

He should refi the FHA as soon as he gets to 20% equity anyways. Fairly new FHA regulations say that you have to carry PMI for the life of the loan, which really makes it a shit product if you can otherwise qualify for a conventional.
                                              #Truth

Comment

Wooly's right. If I were you I'd be chucking every spare dime I came across at this house until you get to 20% equity. Minimum monthly payments aren't going to get you there any time soon.
                                                And it'll be easy to do since I will not be putting a dollar of my own towards the mortgage :).

Comment

And it'll be easy to do since I will not be putting a dollar of my own towards the mortgage :).
                                                  FWIW, I banged out a quick amort schedule and if you started with zero down on a thirty year loan it would take you over nine years to get to 20%.

Comment

FWIW, I banged out a quick amort schedule and if you started with zero down on a thirty year loan it would take you over nine years to get to 20%.
                                                    I have 48K in student loans, so I'm tackling those first since the interest rate is ~ 5%. I will lilkely pay ahead on the mortgage too, but the loans are in my first priority. I'm in deferrment currently because I'm in the middle of my MBA, but cranking out $895 per month towards them. I ball hard on debt.

Comment

I have 48K in student loans, so I'm tackling those first since the interest rate is ~ 5%. I will lilkely pay ahead on the mortgage too, but the loans are in my first priority. I'm in deferrment currently because I'm in the middle of my MBA, but cranking out $895 per month towards them. I ball hard on debt.
                                                      Holy hell brother. Your student loans are more than my mortgage.

Comment

Holy hell brother. Your student loans are more than my mortgage.
                                                        I come from a very poor family. I was never given more than $100 a semester, and that was to pay my registration, lol.

I'm in defferment, so don't have to pay anything. If I was on the 'normal' schedule for that amount and not in deferrment, I'd pay $400 a month. I pay the extra because I choose to.

Comment

If I was on the 'normal' schedule for that amount and not in deferrment, I'd pay $400 a month. I pay the extra because I choose to.
                                                          Gotcha. I thought you were saying that $895 was your MMP.

Comment

Unless of course interest rates rise over your current FHA rate, in which case, you just cancel the PMI once your LTV is better than 80%.

FHA isn't a shit product, it's a misunderstood and misused one, but not a shit one.

Comment

Unless of course interest rates rise over your current FHA rate, in which case, you just cancel the PMI once your LTV is better than 80%.

FHA isn't a shit product, it's a misunderstood and misused one, but not a shit one.
                                                              Yeah, I didn't have an option. The house I bought was more than I thought I could afford, so FHA was my only option. If I did conventional, the amount I was allotted came down ~$50K.

Comment

I ball hard on debt.
                                                                Sound investment strategies, brought to you by Koon...

Comment

You can't do that anymore, not since 2013. PMI on an FHA loan is permanent. As in, refinance or you're paying it for 30 years regardless of LTV.

Comment

You can't do that anymore, not since 2013. PMI on an FHA loan is permanent.
                                                                    Yes, you cannot cancel after 20% like conventional. I will have to switch to conventional at that point in order to escape the PMI.

I knew nothing about home mortages until about 3 months ago. You guys seem to know your ish.

Comment

You can't do that anymore, not since 2013. PMI on an FHA loan is permanent. As in, refinance or you're paying it for 30 years regardless of LTV.
                                                                      I didn't realize that because people are still removing them at my bank (I don't do residential), but those folks are grandfathered in.

Still not a shit product though. I don't have any need for it, but that doesn't mean that in a rising interest rate market, it can't benefit someone to stay in one.

Comment

• FWIW

Comment

FWIW

Good graph, but I think it's fair to say that a great deal of people that need an FHA loan don't utilize a 15 year term.

Koon, 30 year term?

Comment

Good graph, but I think it's fair to say that a great deal of people that need an FHA loan don't utilize a 15 year term.

Koon, 30 year term?
                                                                            30 years, correct. FHA is basically for people who can afford the mortgage on a normal, monthly schedule, but have little to no savings. For scrubs like me.

Comment

30 years, correct. FHA is basically for people who can afford the mortgage on a normal, monthly schedule, but have little to no savings. For scrubs like me.
                                                                              So looking at Wiz's graph, you can see that your equity position won't change very quickly at all. Under a 15 year term, a significantly larger portion of your payment is going to principle each month.

They have to provide you an amortization schedule at closing, but you can run a quick and dirty one by googling a mortgage amortization table template. It's good math to know if you plan on making additional real estate moves in the near future.

Comment

I come from a very poor family. I was never given more than $100 a semester, and that was to pay my registration, lol.

I'm in defferment, so don't have to pay anything. If I was on the 'normal' schedule for that amount and not in deferrment, I'd pay $400 a month. I pay the extra because I choose to.
                                                                                You do realize that deferment doesn't stop interest from accruing don't you? That's where Sallie Mae and the others make their money. They'll gladly put you in deferment. Means more money for them.

Comment

So looking at Wiz's graph, you can see that your equity position won't change very quickly at all. Under a 15 year term, a significantly larger portion of your payment is going to principle each month.

They have to provide you an amortization schedule at closing, but you can run a quick and dirty one by googling a mortgage amortization table template. It's good math to know if you plan on making additional real estate moves in the near future.
                                                                                  Everything you said is smart and true, however, I'm a consultant for a health care company, and real estate isn't something I want to go far into. I don't plan on ever own more than this house and a forever house (granted, life happens). So I don't want to expand into any other rental properties. It would take away from my IE time and I would never let opportunity get in the way of that ;).

As is, I'm comfortable with the amortization schedule until I hit 20%. Before I hit 20%, I'll be student debt free and have a lot more disposable income, which I can then use to tackle the mortgage and switch to a conventional on it.

Comment

Having had my share of mortgages and just recently helping one of our kids buy a HUD home, I can tell you that Wooly is spot on with his sound advice.

Comment

You do realize that deferment doesn't stop interest from accruing don't you? That's where Sallie Mae and the others make their money. They'll gladly put you in deferment. Means more money for them.
                                                                                      For the subsidized, correct. My loans are about half and half. I pay through, though. Which is why I am stuck with you IE freebies and cannot afford a premier site :)

Comment

Having had my share of mortgages and just recently helping one of our kids buy a HUD home, I can tell you that Wooly is spot on with his sound advice.
                                                                                        Sounder advice would be "don't buy a house in which you're dependent on a tenant until you're otherwise debt free and have enough for a healthy down payment." But we weren't consulted on the purchase.

Comment

Sounder advice would be "don't buy a house in which you're dependent on a tenant until you're otherwise debt free and have enough for a healthy down payment." But we weren't consulted on the purchase.
                                                                                          If I was dependent on a tenant, they wouldn't have given me a loan. The bank has no idea I'm renting out rooms. I could afford it on my own, but it wouldn't be fun.

Would you advise me to wait 5 years until my student loans are paid off? No thanks. Meek Mill told me scared money don't make no money so YOLO. I got this, guys. I have a good job and am a hard worker :).

Comment

• I have some land in Florida to sell you, koon...

Comment

• Originally posted by ozzman View Post
                                                                                              I have some land in Florida to sell you, koon...
                                                                                              Sold.

Comment

If I was dependent on a tenant, they wouldn't have given me a loan. The bank has no idea I'm renting out rooms. I could afford it on my own, but it wouldn't be fun.

Would you advise me to wait 5 years until my student loans are paid off? No thanks. Meek Mill told me scared money don't make no money so YOLO. I got this, guys. I have a good job and am a hard worker :).
                                                                                                Yeah but it's way more fun to give you shit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

Comment

• Had to replace an old, original door leading from the kitchen to the basement yesterday. Took all of the original wood framing out and have the new door and frame in there, just have to get some shimmies and screw everything together. Did it all by my lonesome.

The window guy is coming tonight to give me an estimate on replacing 10 original windows. Old, wooden frame, single hung windows. I think the framing being original will add to the cost, but any idea what I should feel comfortable with as an estimate? I'm loosely estimating it being a $4,000 job. 10 windows at $200 a pop, and $200 labor per window.
                                                                                                  Last edited by koonja; 09-02-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• If you aren't willing to replace the windows yourself you can just get the hell out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                                      If you aren't willing to replace the windows yourself you can just get the hell out.
                                                                                                      One of my best friends is 32, retired and has flipped and owns 20 houses and apartment complexes and he says he won't touch windows by himself. So I'm definitely having them professionally installed.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X