Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

You can never tell about the inside though. It could have a large buildup of scale or rust given the number of years.
    It was just drained out and refilled last year. I cannot see the inside, you’re right, but again, no issues other than the fan.

I just need to know if putting on a similar fan (not exact same) would be OK.
    I’m willing to spend the < $200 if I can get another 2-5 years out of it, which seems highly likely, given it’s current performance.
    "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Originally posted by NDohio View Post
      Tankless baby - it's the way to go...
      For the most part, yes. There are some scenarios where you wouldn't want tankless. Upfront costs are obvious so if you don't plan on staying at the home, don't but it If you're using water all over the place you won't get consistent temps. They're relatively inefficient when it comes to certain applications. There are some other issues with them but certainly some benefits too.

Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
      Has anyone put in a vinyl fence? The people we bought our house from put up a very ugly wooden fence that is too high, and already falling apart. Looking to see if there any pros and cons to a vinyl fence.
      Low maintenance is the pro. The cost is much more and you always get grass stains on them. Nearly impossible and it would drive me nuts.

If you have a large yard with trees, I'd go with cedar. More natural looking and pleasant imo. If it's more urban the vinyl looks less out of place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henges24 View Post

It was just drained out and refilled last year. I cannot see the inside, you’re right, but again, no issues other than the fan.

I’m willing to spend the < $200 if I can get another 2-5 years out of it, which seems highly likely, given it’s current performance.
        Get me the brand and I'll ask my brother. He's a union plumber and basically a shit wizard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

shit wizard.
          This is my new favorite two-word phrase.

Comment

I don't know why you couldn't use a different fan. You just want to make sure the electrical specs are close to the original. Too small and it may run more than usual. Too large and it uses more power than needed. Also not sure what wire has been run to the WH 12-2 or 14-2? If it's a smaller gauge than those and the fan is too large it could cause overheating and a possible fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDFAN420 View Post

This is my new favorite two-word phrase.
              Yeah, I'm liking shit wizard.

Comment

For the most part, yes. There are some scenarios where you wouldn't want tankless. Upfront costs are obvious so if you don't plan on staying at the home, don't but it If you're using water all over the place you won't get consistent temps. They're relatively inefficient when it comes to certain applications. There are some other issues with them but certainly some benefits too.

Low maintenance is the pro. The cost is much more and you always get grass stains on them. Nearly impossible and it would drive me nuts.

If you have a large yard with trees, I'd go with cedar. More natural looking and pleasant imo. If it's more urban the vinyl looks less out of place.
                Agree with Wild Bill. We put up some cedar privacy about 20 years ago and it's stood the test of time. About five years ago, I pressure washed it and it looked brand new when I was done.

Comment

Originally posted by IRISH#1
                  Agree with Wild Bill. We put up some cedar privacy about 20 years ago and it's stood the test of time. About five years ago, I pressure washed it and it looked brand new when I was done.
                  Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure the front yard fence is cedar, and it looks good/holding up well. The backyard fence, meanwhile, looks like it was just a bunch of 1 by 3s thrown up. Might look into doing cedar all the way.

Comment

Have no idea how you could say that getting another 2-5 years seems highly likely given it's current performance. A water heater is fine until it isn't fine. There is literally no way to tell. It may work another 5 years and it may fail tomorrow. All I know is that you are already outside the typical lifespan. I had an 8 year old water heater fail last year. Did I expect it to last 12, sure. In the days leading up to the failure, given it's current performance, I certainly expected it too.

If you are thinking about going tankless, it's certainly more feasible when you are not in an emergency situation where you need it done ASAP. From Consumer Reports
                    https://www.consumerreports.org/wate...s-a5291982593/

Switching to tankless from a storage tank water heater is no easy swap because it requires a plumbing retrofit and possibly an upgrade to your electric service or gas lines to increase capacity. Considering that 90 percent of hot water heater installations take place during an emergency, according to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, that puts you at a disadvantage when you're negotiating with a prospective plumber or contractor to make the switch on your tight timeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post

Have no idea how you could say that getting another 2-5 years seems highly likely given it's current performance. A water heater is fine until it isn't fine. There is literally no way to tell. It may work another 5 years and it may fail tomorrow. All I know is that you are already outside the typical lifespan. I had an 8 year old water heater fail last year. Did I expect it to last 12, sure. In the days leading up to the failure, given it's current performance, I certainly expected it too.

If you are thinking about going tankless, it's certainly more feasible when you are not in an emergency situation where you need it done ASAP. From Consumer Reports
                      https://www.consumerreports.org/wate...s-a5291982593/
                      I had to laugh at this. How many people buy a water heater before the old one dies? It's always an emergency, right? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

I had to laugh at this. How many people buy a water heater before the old one dies? It's always an emergency, right? lol
                        LOL yes. Almost nobody replaces a water heater before the old one dies, unless your fan goes out on a 15 year old water heater.

Comment

That is what I was thinking too. However, everyone that I had spoke to has 20+ year old water heaters.

Figured I could get a couple more years out of her.
                          Prices on everything are climbing. The difference between a new unit now and two years from now might be more than the fan. What ever you save now may be lost if you wait a couple more years.

Comment

Any HVAC guys on the board? I'm renovating a house and the upstairs has flexible ducts with round 6 inch dampers that are just hideous. I want to replace them with a 10x4 register box and then attach flush mount air registers in the link below.

My concern/question is whether or not this will restrict airflow to an extent that would be problematic. I have done some research but it's hard to get a straight answer and my HVAC guy doesn't even know what the hell these are. Bet if I put them in a case of beer he'd know.

https://ariavent.com/collections/ven...oaAng9EALw_wcB
                            https://i.ibb.co/rvRbr43/vents.jpg

I went ahead and installed these vents without any issue. The larger vent to the left is the exhaust fan, which is really nice too if you aren't interested in an exposed fan.

I would highly recommend them to anyone with ceiling ductwork. Much better than traditional ceiling diffuser and fan below (not a before pic of the bathroom but it was something similar):

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UMmESL6hB...lingbefore.jpg

Comment

• Looks nice.

Comment

• Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of woodpeckers? Little shits are tearing up the side of my house. A friend of mine said to hang CDs off of my roof with fishing line, but who wants a bunch of CDs hanging off the side of their house?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                  Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of woodpeckers? Little shits are tearing up the side of my house. A friend of mine said to hang CDs off of my roof with fishing line, but who wants a bunch of CDs hanging off the side of their house?
                                  Here kitty kitty.

Comment

• Buy an owl

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X