Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
    I would just pigtail out of the bottom of that existing box, drill a hole through the stud and pull wire into your new box on the other side of the stud facing into your unfinished space. Or you could go a little lower or higher with that new box on the same side of the stud. Also make the box for the unfinished side is a “new work” box, which has nails molded into it that you anchor to the stud, not “old work” or a “remodel” box which have plastic anchors that clamp to drywall.
    thanks - i was looking online and i couldnt find any sort of front/back boxes anyways.
    Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
      So i think this project should be relatively easy but I am no electrician by any means.

I have an outlet in my basement and a storage area on the immediate other side of the wall which is unfinished. I want the outlet to be on both sides. I believe i can just install a different style outlet box that allows me to put one on both sides but just wanted to check here. See picture below.
      Not an electrician either, but I've never seen a box where you can install multiple outlets facing the opposite direction. Since boxes are designed to minimize the risk of fire, I am guessing they don't make what you want, but I could be wrong. If you're just wanting access to that outlet and won't be adding additional constant load to the breaker I would just install a second box facing the other way and jumper it off the first one.

Edit: What Boiler said.

Comment

• Tried to rep ya Irish#1 but I must spread.

I found a box in a closet so I think I just need to nail it in, u less it's just going to be easier to use the new work box like Boiler said.

Prehistoric

Comment

• Since you already have a box, I'd just use it. As Boiler said, you can mount it above or below the existing one or on the opposite side of the stud. Personally I would put it on the opposite side of the stud so the height is the same. That way you avoid any code violations if you sell and the inspector is a butthole. Remember when you mount, don't make it flush with the stud. There should be little tabs that show you how deep to set it. It goes without saying, but remember to flip the breaker before you start. We don't want to read about you in the RIP thread. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
            Since you already have a box, I'd just use it. As Boiler said, you can mount it above or below the existing one or on the opposite side of the stud. Personally I would put it on the opposite side of the stud so the height is the same. That way you avoid any code violations if you sell and the inspector is a butthole. Remember when you mount, don't make it flush with the stud. There should be little tabs that show you how deep to set it. It goes without saying, but remember to flip the breaker before you start. We don't want to read about you in the RIP thread. lol
            Lol the breaker part was actually a pain in the ass. 1) I'm working in basement so had to go garage to basement after every breaker flip to see which was right one. 2) And of course the outlet I needed wasn't on an obvious breaker like the 3 different breakers the specifically mentioned basement in some fashion. Instead it was on the washer and dryer breaker (both are upstairs)

We're all good now tho thanks for the help fellas
            Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
              Lol the breaker part was actually a pain in the ass. 1) I'm working in basement so had to go garage to basement after every breaker flip to see which was right one. 2) And of course the outlet I needed wasn't on an obvious breaker like the 3 different breakers the specifically mentioned basement in some fashion. Instead it was on the washer and dryer breaker (both are upstairs)

We're all good now tho thanks for the help fellas
              For future electrical I’d recommend getting a circuit breaker finder with a receptacle tester. They run about $30.00. Eliminates having to flip circuits on and off.

Comment

Well, here it is minus the cap to go on top. I have a little mortar to clean off but overall I'm happy. Saved myself close to a thousand bucks. Mason's make it look so easy!

The limestone caps finally came in. Need to spray off the dirt, but I'm happy with the results.

Comment

The limestone caps finally came in. Need to spray off the dirt, but I'm happy with the results.

Not too bad for an old guy.
                  I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• The wife decided she wants to put a ceiling fan in the pavillion and hang a couple of barn lights. I get estimates and hire an electrician. I tell her ahead of time that there will be some exposed flex conduit and she says that's okay as long as they try to hide most of it. Electrician comes out and does a great job. The wife comes out, takes a look and is upset because you can see the flex extending down to the lights.

Wife: "If I'd known it would look like that I wouldn't have had them do it!".
                    Me: I did tell you ahead of time there would be exposed wiring."
                    Wife: "But I didn't think it would look like that! and I don't like the spacing of the lights"
                    Me: "The lights are exactly where you wanted them."

I ended up building these boxes to cover the wiring. She's a happy camper now.

Comment

• Any HVAC guys on the board? I'm renovating a house and the upstairs has flexible ducts with round 6 inch dampers that are just hideous. I want to replace them with a 10x4 register box and then attach flush mount air registers in the link below.

My concern/question is whether or not this will restrict airflow to an extent that would be problematic. I have done some research but it's hard to get a straight answer and my HVAC guy doesn't even know what the hell these are. Bet if I put them in a case of beer he'd know.

https://ariavent.com/collections/ven...oaAng9EALw_wcB

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                        Any HVAC guys on the board? I'm renovating a house and the upstairs has flexible ducts with round 6 inch dampers that are just hideous. I want to replace them with a 10x4 register box and then attach flush mount air registers in the link below.

My concern/question is whether or not this will restrict airflow to an extent that would be problematic. I have done some research but it's hard to get a straight answer and my HVAC guy doesn't even know what the hell these are. Bet if I put them in a case of beer he'd know.

https://ariavent.com/collections/ven...oaAng9EALw_wcB
                        The old home (1883) we are renovating has a lot flex duct with a 10X4 on the end. We replaced the furnace in the upgrade but left the flex and 10X4. We’ve not noticed any issues with air restriction and our HVAC guy who I’ve known for a long time wasn’t concerned.

Comment

The old home (1883) we are renovating has a lot flex duct with a 10X4 on the end. We replaced the furnace in the upgrade but left the flex and 10X4. We’ve not noticed any issues with air restriction and our HVAC guy who I’ve known for a long time wasn’t concerned.
                          Yeah I think it's fine with traditional vents but take a look at those registers in the link. They restrict flow a bit. Just not sure how much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

Yeah I think it's fine with traditional vents but take a look at those registers in the link. They restrict flow a bit. Just not sure how much.
                            I looked at the specs. I’m obviously not a HVAC guy but if you’re not putting in a new blower for more CFM I can’t see these causing a problem.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X