Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    The other thing is there are a lot of things you need to know if you plan on moving from this home and turning it in to a full rental. In my area they have to be inspected and approved for rental woth occupancy permits. Also registered with the city as a rental. I've know people that have lost houses due to them not following the proper steps and renting illegally.
    #TeamKizer

    Comment


    • #52
      Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
      A grown man shouldn't have roommates.


      Who said I'm a grown man? Lol. I can't see the GIF.

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by koonja View Post
        Who said I'm a grown man? Lol. I can't see the GIF.
        Is your long tike GF on board with all this?

        Or was she more jealous of you having male roommates.
        Last edited by Irish Insanity; 08-17-2015, 08:36 AM.
        #TeamKizer

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
          Is your long tike GF on board with all this?

          Or was she more jealous of you having male roommates.
          We decided to go our own ways. It was my doing, so no need for condolensces. We get along well and are still friends in a way.

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by koonja View Post
            We decided to go our own ways. It was my doing, so no need for condolensces.
            Dagger!

            Comment


            • #56
              I did the same thing Koon is doing with my first house (although with dudes and not girls as roommates...don't you have a wife/gf? How'd that work out?) Anyways, I have to say 1) It was awesome making extra money each month, but...2) I did all of the small maintenance projects myself.

              Things to consider: 1) Windows are very expensive and they don't increase the value of the home. You may sell it quicker. You may sell it for more. But typically, this is an item that is required over time. Similar to a new roof. 2) I agree with those saying to do steps to a patio instead of a deck. Check your costs. Go with whatever is cheaper and/or provides the better return. 3) ALWAYS be mindful of your ROI. Whether it's a rental or a "forever home," where you spend the money and how much are always big factors with real estate.

              With that said, you need to at the very least learn how to fix small things around the house. YouTube is your friend. Wooly and Irish Insanity are right; it will bite you in the ass and every home you live in will require improvements. Learn now.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by koonja View Post
                We decided to go our own ways. It was my doing, so no need for condolensces. We get along well and are still friends in a way.
                Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                Dagger!
                Now it all comes together. Koon leaves his GF moves back to Minnesota and in with 3 girls.
                #TeamKizer

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                  Now it all comes together. Koon leaves his GF moves back to Minnesota and in with 3 girls.
                  I really wasn't targeting girls, but a group approached me and it turned out to be a really good fit. One of them is actually my co-worker, although she works in a building that's a few miles away so we won't have interactions at work. I prefer girls, though, and when I move out I will target female renters. I don't need hockey matches breaking out at 3am in the dining room.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    Originally posted by koonja View Post
                    I really wasn't targeting girls, but a group approached me and it turned out to be a really good fit. One of them is actually my co-worker, although she works in a building that's a few miles away so we won't have interactions at work. I prefer girls, though, and when I move out I will target female renters. I don't need hockey matches breaking out at 3am in the dining room.
                    Wait until the first time a girl flushes a tampon down the toilet and clogs it...

                    I think it's pretty narrow minded to assume all girls are clean and tidy and this rental thing will be rainbows and unicorns for you. Stuff happens in a house that requires maintenance regardless of how diligent you are with the upkeep.

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                      Wait until the first time a girl flushes a tampon down the toilet and clogs it...

                      I think it's pretty narrow minded to assume all girls are clean and tidy and this rental thing will be rainbows and unicorns for you. Stuff happens in a house that requires maintenance regardless of how diligent you are with the upkeep.
                      Never said I expected this to be a piece of cake. Just asked about strategy for putting on a small, floor level deck and replacing windows. I'm not as dumb as some of you wish I were, lol. And as I said, females will have their downside of course, but when it comes to who's harder on a house between girls/guys, I'll take girls all day long.
                      Last edited by koonja; 08-17-2015, 09:07 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #61
                        Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                        Wait until the first time a girl flushes a tampon down the toilet and clogs it...

                        I think it's pretty narrow minded to assume all girls are clean and tidy and this rental thing will be rainbows and unicorns for you. Stuff happens in a house that requires maintenance regardless of how diligent you are with the upkeep.
                        He's assuming a group of girls will be less hard on the house than a group of guys. That is not an outrageous assumption.

                        Comment


                        • #62
                          Originally posted by koonja View Post
                          Never said I expected this to be a piece of cake. Just asked about strategy for putting on a small, floor level deck and replacing windows. I'm not as dumb as some of you wish I were. And as I said, females will have their downside of course, but when it comes to who's harder on a house between girls/guys, I'll take girls all day long.
                          Originally posted by tussin View Post
                          He's assuming a group of girls will be less hard on the house than a group of guys. That is not an outrageous assumption.
                          I had female roommates one year in college. On average, yes, guys can wear down a house worse than girls. But my experience didn't follow the norm and it changed my outlook on prospective tenants.

                          I don't think you're dumb, Koon. I think most of us are just trying to give insight into what you're getting yourself into (owning a rental, but claiming to not know how to fix stuff....).
                          Last edited by BleedBlueGold; 08-17-2015, 09:16 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #63
                            Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                            I don't think a contractor is a bad thing for bigger jobs if he doesn't have the skills to do it. Drywall, painting, flooring, easy access plumbing, door/window replacement, and finish work should all be done by him. We also don't know the what he paid for the house or the value in the area. I paid 9k for my first house, and 11k for the one I just sold. I see a deck 24" off the ground being a safety issue to others if not done properly. I don't see that as a 'teach yourself to be handy' moment.
                            I wasn't saying that he should just "wing it". He needs to find somebody to help him learn it. If his goal is to make any money on this house, then he will have to learn it eventually. Bottom line, you cant make money on a rental if you don't do the work. If you are incapable or don't know anyone to teach you, then you shouldn't have a rental. Unless you like constant headaches and losing money.

                            Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                            You've mastered the skill of arguing with me when I agree with you. Your combination of cognitive dissonance and persistence is truly a sight to behold. My point is that, like you, it doesn't appear that Koon has the skills necessary to take this project on. Given the choice of paying-more-than-DIY-and-having-it-done-right or jacking-up-your-house-and-paying-even-more-than-if-you-just-hired-a-guy-in-the-first-place, he should pick the former.
                            There aren't just two choices. He can get a friend with experience to help him. How in the hell do people like you ever learn anything? Do you just simply hire people whenever there is a task you don't know how to do? I presume that you do just that. But that method would make Koon's little venture a bad idea. If the answer is that he hire any work that he doesn't know how to do, which is a lot, then he should sell the rental. It will be a terrible experience for him and I have seen it happen to a lot of people.


                            Do you get paid to be a douchenozzle, or does it just come naturally? I, like Koon, have very little skill or experience with DIY projects. My expertise extends no further than building a pinewood derby car or a nice-looking cornhole board. I am, however, well-versed in the world of personal finance and investing.
                            First of all, anybody that says "douchenozzle" probably wears superhero tshirts as an adult and only breathes out of his mouth.

                            If you are "well versed in personal finance and investing" then you must know something about managing rental profitability right? How many do you own? Oh yeah... you don't know what you're talking about... again....

                            Why are you... somebody that doesn't know dik about rentals, fixing stuff or how to roll up your sleeves... trying to give advice on something like this?
                            Originally posted by koonja
                            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                            Comment


                            • #64
                              Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                              I had female roommates one year in college. On average, yes, guys can wear down a house worse than girls. But my experience didn't follow the norm and it changed my outlook on prospective tenants.

                              I don't think your dumb, Koon. I think most of us are just trying to give insight into what you're getting yourself into (owning a rental, but claiming to not know how to fix stuff....).
                              I don't know much about home improvement, but this one's pretty set as is besides the deck/windows. It was built in 1908, but has been remodeled, new roof, furnace, electrical all from 2012-2013. Remodeled hardwood floors and kitchen, so altough old, they did a good job of modernizing it and doing a lot of the work recently. I'll learn the things as I can, and if I decide to go with a friend building the deck, I'll be there for every minute of it. But a deck is such a random thing that you replace/repair only every 10 years or so, so if I have to go pro and don't get anything out of it, oh well I guess. Windows I think should be done professionally. I actually didn't have any friends comfortable with doing windows. But I'll definitely learn/fix things as they come and as I can, but I don't have the background so will have to do the research.

                              I bought a 15 month home warranty for ~$400. It covers quite a bit, any appliances, furnace, electric, plumbing, roof, etc... So if something went wrong, I pay $45 to have someone come out, then I pay essentially a 20% co pay to have whatever needs fixing, fixed. I'm going to have to put more money into this in these types of ways because I don't have the background, but even with having to hire/warranty some things, it made sense financially.

                              Comment


                              • #65
                                Projects for mi casa:

                                Finish the garage - flooring, cabinetry, walls, lighting. Shooting for something like this (wife and kids not included):


                                Finish the basement - This will be contracted as it will require time and energy that I do not possess. Going from cement floors and walls to a totally liveable space complete with theater room, bar/game area, bathroom, and exercise area.

                                Revamp the landscaping - Previous owners went overboard with their plans and completely failed to maintain what they installed. It's a disaster.

                                Comment


                                • #66
                                  Wooly, I'm all for the do it yourself, make more money, save where you can part. But you can make money if you pay a professional to do everything, as long as the numbers work amnd you know what your doing in the business end
                                  #TeamKizer

                                  Comment


                                  • #67
                                    Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                    I don't know much about home improvement, but this one's pretty set as is besides the deck/windows. It was built in 1908, but has been remodeled, new roof, furnace, electrical all from 2012-2013. Remodeled hardwood floors and kitchen, so altough old, they did a good job of modernizing it and doing a lot of the work recently. I'll learn the things as I can, and if I decide to go with a friend building the deck, I'll be there for every minute of it. But a deck is such a random thing that you replace/repair only every 10 years or so, so if I have to go pro and don't get anything out of it, oh well I guess. Windows I think should be done professionally. I actually didn't have any friends comfortable with doing windows. But I'll definitely learn/fix things as they come and as I can, but I don't have the background so will have to do the research.

                                    I bought a 15 month home warranty for ~$400. It covers quite a bit, any appliances, furnace, electric, plumbing, roof, etc... So if something went wrong, I pay $45 to have someone come out, then I pay essentially a 20% co pay to have whatever needs fixing, fixed. I'm going to have to put more money into this in these types of ways because I don't have the background, but even with having to hire/warranty some things, it made sense financially.
                                    Check back in this thread in 12 months. I would be interested in what your ROI is at that point. Not trying to be a dick, but have you done modeling on your ROI? Factored in repairs, vacancy (you still have to do this, regardless if you have a current renter) and maintenance?

                                    You bought a 100+ year old house, with very little home improvement experience, no real estate investment experience and are putting a bunch of girls in it. If that doesn't sound absurd when you read it... then you are in for some surprises.
                                    Originally posted by koonja
                                    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                    Comment


                                    • #68
                                      Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                      Projects for mi casa:

                                      Finish the garage - flooring, cabinetry, walls, lighting. Shooting for something like this (wife and kids not included):


                                      Finish the basement - This will be contracted as it will require time and energy that I do not possess. Going from cement floors and walls to a totally liveable space complete with theater room, bar/game area, bathroom, and exercise area.

                                      Revamp the landscaping - Previous owners went overboard with their plans and completely failed to maintain what they installed. It's a disaster.
                                      Did the floor epoxy on my old house in Florida and it completely changed the look of the garage. I highly recommend using the flake on it, really makes it "pop". Took about a day and a half from floor prep to finish.

                                      Comment


                                      • #69
                                        Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                                        Wooly, I'm all for the do it yourself, make more money, save where you can part. But you can make money if you pay a professional to do everything, as long as the numbers work amnd you know what your doing in the business end
                                        In rentals, I have never found this to be the case. Unless the houses are paid in full and you get premier rental income income. I doubt that is the case for Koon and it isn't the case in most scenarios.

                                        We can disagree on this point, but I am just going on my personal experience and the 100+ combined years of rental property management my immediate family has.
                                        Originally posted by koonja
                                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                        Comment


                                        • #70
                                          Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                          Check back in this thread in 12 months. I would be interested in what your ROI is at that point. Not trying to be a dick, but have you done modeling on your ROI? Factored in repairs, vacancy (you still have to do this, regardless if you have a current renter) and maintenance?

                                          You bought a 100+ year old house, with very little home improvement experience, no real estate investment experience and are putting a bunch of girls in it. If that doesn't sound absurd when you read it... then you are in for some surprises.
                                          I'm not trying to get rich off of this one property, so my situation is a little different considering I'm also living there for a couple of years. Basically, the short term investment to me is the fact that I'll be paying about $300 total per month to live there myself, as opposed to about $900 I would otherwise pay to rent in a house right across the street (no ROI in renting). Also, the tax credits are nice, and I added at least a couple of thousand to my return.

                                          Vacancy will never be a problem. I am not trying to compete with the rental management companies that are the pros. I say vacancy won't be a problem, because I advertised/rented it out at a rate that can't be beat for the location. I posted it for a day and had a lot of people interested, including groups asking to out-bid other groups. I could have gotten more than I was asking, but I really liked the group I found and turned down other groups that asked to pay more than I was asking. I exxentially chose to collect $1900 per month in rent for the 3 rooms rather than trying to get ~$2,100 and having to market it any worry about vacancies.

                                          Comment


                                          • #71
                                            Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                            Depends on what he means when he says this is an "older home." There's no guarantee that the frames are square or structurally sound.
                                            Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                            So you square them.
                                            I've been in my house for about two years now. It is a bit older than the property Koon is investing in, and so there was PLENTY of work to be done before we moved in.

                                            I had zero experience with this stuff, and I grew up with a stepdad that was more into hard manual labor in the yard than being a handyman, so I didn't know sh!t about fixing up my house... but luckily my fiance's father is a do-it-yourself ace, and so he helped me out.

                                            We haven't messed with the windows yet, as they are still in decent shape, and the house has no trouble holding heat/cool air. It's on the docket though, and will be a huge pain in the ass whenever the time comes if our front door was any indication.

                                            All of the glass in the house was custom made to fit imperfect framing, and the front door panes were beginning to rattle pretty bad and let air in, so we had to replace it (or else pay a specialist an ass-load of money to fit custom glass). It was more cost-effective and efficient to buy a new door/frame, but my god what a hassle. The old wood framing that was set into the bricks of the house was so uneven and patchwork that we ended up having to take the frame AND bricks out from all three sides. Parts of the frame were anchored two inches into brick, other random pieces of wood were anchored 8 inches. What should have been a one-day job turned into a three-day job because of the age of the house and the imperfect nature of the original frame.

                                            I had a tarp up over my open doorway for the first night lol. Luckily we got the frame in the second day, and just had to finish some custom trim after that.

                                            TL;DR: Old houses are a pain in the ass when it comes to replacing doors/windows, and sometimes "squaring" isn't as easy as it sounds lol. At least, whoever built my house/put in framing was a jackwagon.

                                            Comment


                                            • #72
                                              Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                              I'm not trying to get rich off of this one property, so my situation is a little different considering I'm also living there for a couple of years. Basically, the short term investment to me is the fact that I'll be paying about $300 total per month to live there myself, as opposed to about $900 I would otherwise pay to rent in a house right across the street (no ROI in renting). Also, the tax credits are nice, and I added at least a couple of thousand to my return.

                                              Vacancy will never be a problem. I am not trying to compete with the rental management companies that are the pros. I say vacancy won't be a problem, because I advertised/rented it out at a rate that can't be beat for the location. I posted it for a day and had a lot of people interested, including groups asking to out-bid other groups. I could have gotten more than I was asking, but I really liked the group I found and turned down other groups that asked to pay more than I was asking. I exxentially chose to collect $1900 per month in rent for the 3 rooms rather than trying to get ~$2,100 and having to market it any worry about vacancies.
                                              I'm actually saddened by your lack of understanding here. If you think vacancy can be mitigated by a good market or renters, you are in for a surprise.

                                              Here's my final thought for you. Go to Biggerpockets.com and start doing some reading. Find a mentor that can give you in person advice. There are a lot of little things can can make your life a living hell with rentals. It's that way with "just dipping your toe in" as it is if you want to make a living doing it.
                                              Originally posted by koonja
                                              I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                              Comment


                                              • #73
                                                Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                I've been in my house for about two years now. It is a bit older than the property Koon is investing in, and so there was PLENTY of work to be done before we moved in.

                                                I had zero experience with this stuff, and I grew up with a stepdad that was more into hard manual labor in the yard than being a handyman, so I didn't know sh!t about fixing up my house... but luckily my fiance's father is a do-it-yourself ace, and so he helped me out.

                                                We haven't messed with the windows yet, as they are still in decent shape, and the house has no trouble holding heat/cool air. It's on the docket though, and will be a huge pain in the ass whenever the time comes if our front door was any indication.

                                                All of the glass in the house was custom made to fit imperfect framing, and the front door panes were beginning to rattle pretty bad and let air in, so we had to replace it (or else pay a specialist an ass-load of money to fit custom glass). It was more cost-effective and efficient to buy a new door/frame, but my god what a hassle. The old wood framing that was set into the bricks of the house was so uneven and patchwork that we ended up having to take the frame AND bricks out from all three sides. Parts of the frame were anchored two inches into brick, other random pieces of wood were anchored 8 inches. What should have been a one-day job turned into a three-day job because of the age of the house and the imperfect nature of the original frame.

                                                I had a tarp up over my open doorway for the first night lol. Luckily we got the frame in the second day, and just had to finish some custom trim after that.

                                                TL;DR: Old houses are a pain in the ass when it comes to replacing doors/windows, and sometimes "squaring" isn't as easy as it sounds lol. At least, whoever built my house/put in framing was a jackwagon.
                                                Is a jackwagon related to a douchenozzle?

                                                Comment


                                                • #74
                                                  Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                  I'm actually saddened by your lack of understanding here. If you think vacancy can be mitigated by a good market or renters, you are in for a surprise.

                                                  Here's my final thought for you. Go to Biggerpockets.com and start doing some reading. Find a mentor that can give you in person advice. There are a lot of little things can can make your life a living hell with rentals. It's that way with "just dipping your toe in" as it is if you want to make a living doing it.
                                                  Will do. No offense, but I don't think you are aware of the Uptown Minneapolis market next to Lake Calhoun is, and how easy it was for me to fill it. Literally less than a day and I had the pick of the liter in regards to who I elected to have live there. I spent more time in this thread than I did having 3 different groups to choose from, lol.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #75
                                                    Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                    Do you just simply hire people whenever there is a task you don't know how to do?
                                                    Yup. I work hard and make good money so I can pay people like you to do the shit that I don't feel like doing.

                                                    Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                    First of all, anybody that says "douchenozzle" probably wears superhero tshirts as an adult and only breathes out of his mouth.
                                                    One out of two ain't bad.

                                                    Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                    No offense, but I don't think you are aware of the Uptown Minneapolis market next to Lake Calhoun is, and how easy it was for me to fill it.
                                                    Sorry, but you're wrong. Wooly is an absolute expert when it comes to Uptown Minneapolis real estate, big cat hunting in third-world countries, cleaning a catfish with nothing but a straight razor, keeping your feet dry on a muddy day, alligator wrestling, home brewing, fire-building, and croissant baking.
                                                    Last edited by wizards8507; 08-17-2015, 09:59 AM.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #76
                                                      Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                                      Is a jackwagon related to a douchenozzle?
                                                      Jackwagon, to me, is a good-intentioned bro that just messed up. Maybe he was ignorant, maybe he was rushed, maybe he was clueless and did what he could. It's almost an affectionate term. Sometimes I'm a jackwagon. Sometimes my friends are jackwagons. Sometimes my coworker is a jackwagon. It's like, "he's a jackwagon, but he's OUR jackwagon."

                                                      Douchenozzle, to me, is just the worst type of person.*


                                                      *This is not a commentary on anyone on IE that has been referred to as a douchenozzle by other posters. I probably do not share such a harsh sentiment.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #77
                                                        Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                        Will do. No offense, but I don't think you are aware of the Uptown Minneapolis market next to Lake Calhoun is, and how easy it was for me to fill it. Literally less than a day and I had the pick of the liter in regards to who I elected to have live there. I spent more time in this thread than I did having 3 different groups to choose from, lol.
                                                        I do understand, but even the very best market in the country will still require factoring vacancy. They talk about it plenty on there, but hit me up if you still can't get good info.

                                                        Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                        Yup. I work hard and make good money so I can pay people like you to do the shit that I don't feel like doing.
                                                        Haha... Ok.... You do realize that I am just as educated as you are and make just as much or more than you, right? I haven't been paid for labor since college. I wouldn't help someone like you with home improvement because you have no desire to learn and no skills to repay the efforts. People like you have to pay for stuff like this because of that.
                                                        Last edited by woolybug25; 08-17-2015, 10:01 AM.
                                                        Originally posted by koonja
                                                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #78
                                                          Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                          Haha... Ok.... You do realize that I am just as educated as you are and make just as much or more than you, right?
                                                          Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                          Yup. I work hard and make good money so I can pay people like you to do the shit that I don't feel like doing.
                                                          Now you guys both need to post your tax returns.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #79

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #80
                                                              Originally posted by tussin View Post
                                                              Now you guys both need to post your tax returns.
                                                              Post your 1040 thread?

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #81
                                                                Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                Haha... Ok.... You do realize that I am just as educated as you are and make just as much or more than you, right? I haven't been paid for labor since college. I wouldn't help someone like you with home improvement because you have no desire to learn and no skills to repay the efforts. People like you have to pay for stuff like this because of that.
                                                                So sensitive. I wasn't professing financial superiority. People like me (i.e. those with no "handy" skills nor any desire to learn) pay people like you (who enjoy such work) so that we don't have to. I'm fully aware that it's not the optimal financial decision, but neither is ordering scallops at a nice restaurant, and I'm known to do that from time to time too.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #82
                                                                  I'm not saying hiring a contractor is the better decsion, but you also have to factor in the time it takes to research and learn how to, say, build a deck. If it takes me a weekend plus 8 hours worth of research/buying supplies (not to mention the risk of doing it myself), it might not make as much financial sense as you think. But that depends on how much you like it/value your weekend time/enjoy building a deck.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #83
                                                                    Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                    In rentals, I have never found this to be the case. Unless the houses are paid in full and you get premier rental income income. I doubt that is the case for Koon and it isn't the case in most scenarios.

                                                                    We can disagree on this point, but I am just going on my personal experience and the 100+ combined years of rental property management my immediate family has.
                                                                    I don't disagree with your approach at all. I personally think it's best. I've flipped a few houses and rehabbed a few others. I have family members who have gained substantial wealth from using contractors to do work, and that was long before the market crashed and houses could be found for cheap. My fiance has been in property management for 15+ years. I have immediate family members who own rentals too. If Koon isn't handy, has no desire to learn these things, doesn't plan on expanding further into the rental market, then I think contracting is good. Mainly for the reason of not having to do it over or pay someone when he fucks it up. Or even worse, someone gets hurt because of his lack of ability and knowledge.
                                                                    #TeamKizer

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #84
                                                                      Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                                      Post your 1040 thread?
                                                                      I thought we had a dick measuring thread already?

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #85
                                                                        Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                                        So sensitive. I wasn't professing financial superiority
                                                                        You weren't?

                                                                        Yup. I work hard and make good money so I can pay people like you to do the shit that I don't feel like doing.

                                                                        What is that supposed to mean then? Not only is factually incorrect, it's also disrespectful to the hard working people here that do have blue collar jobs. The insinuation that you somehow work harder than them is no better of an accusation. I'll tell you one thing for sure, I would rather be a hard working blue collar man than a blowhard that pushes paper for Disney. At least the former won't freak out when he has some bees in his attic and can feel good about having tangible skills.

                                                                        People like me (i.e. those with no "handy" skills nor any desire to learn) pay people like you (who enjoy such work) so that we don't have to. I'm fully aware that it's not the optimal financial decision, but neither is ordering scallops at a nice restaurant, and I'm known to do that from time to time too.
                                                                        That's all fine and dandy, but you don't go to a restaurant with the intent of reaping financial reward. It's a terrible analogy.
                                                                        Last edited by woolybug25; 08-17-2015, 10:39 AM.
                                                                        Originally posted by koonja
                                                                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #86
                                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #87
                                                                            I know dick measuring involves some sort of measuring device, but I don't see that as home improvement. Can we get that moved to another thread.
                                                                            #TeamKizer

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #88
                                                                              I'll have an IE welcoming party and Wooly can show off his deck building skills then.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #89
                                                                                Make sure you trim your bush so your deck looks bigger.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #90
                                                                                  Not to step into the middle of a pissing contest but:

                                                                                  My airflow to the master bedroom sucks rocks. I am looking for ways to re-do the attic ductwork to improve on this. Two trunks off the A/C upstairs and the two master vents are the end of the line for both and by far the longest. Some of them are somewhat compressed so I am sure that adds to the issue. We intend to finish out the attic in the future so re-working the maze of ducts is in the cards down the road anyway.

                                                                                  1) Anyone work with HVAC ducts in the past and attest to difficulty to DIY this? Seems straight forward enough to me but have never done it.

                                                                                  2) Any thoughts on alternative methods to insulated round ducts laying all over. Thinking of running in floor joists or framing and insulating square vents.

                                                                                  I am thinking I can over engineer it and DIY for much more efficient solution. Tinkering with different vents to see what works and taking longer will allow me to see what works best.

                                                                                  As for pissing contest - no one cares as much about my house as me so I tend to not trust contractors to do any more than they have to or can get a way with. I like to know how stuff is supposed to work so an ounce of prevention can save a pound of cure. Then there is the cost benefit of buying substantially higher quality materials and still costing less than someone else doing it for me.

                                                                                  Downside - fifty incomplete projects around the house and any given time.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #91
                                                                                    As to number one... my father was an electrician and worked with alot of HVAC, even taught HVAC courses. I would assume as long as you are just working on the ducts and not anything in the actual unit it should be straight forward and you should be good. I have messed with my ducts to gain some efficiency an it was pretty much as you expected... beyond that??...
                                                                                    Last edited by ACamp1900; 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM.
                                                                                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #92
                                                                                      Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                                                                      Projects for mi casa:

                                                                                      Finish the garage - flooring, cabinetry, walls, lighting. Shooting for something like this (wife and kids not included):


                                                                                      Finish the basement - This will be contracted as it will require time and energy that I do not possess. Going from cement floors and walls to a totally liveable space complete with theater room, bar/game area, bathroom, and exercise area.

                                                                                      Revamp the landscaping - Previous owners went overboard with their plans and completely failed to maintain what they installed. It's a disaster.
                                                                                      This is on my docket too. I understand the key to the whole thing is to powerwash the snot out of the floor before putting this stuff down and have a dry couple days or the humidity will keep it from curing well. I might stay off of it for a week just to be safe. Sure is nice when it is done though, so much cleaner and easier to sweep/blow out.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #93
                                                                                        Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                                                        This is on my docket too. I understand the key to the whole thing is to powerwash the snot out of the floor before putting this stuff down and have a dry couple days or the humidity will keep it from curing well. I might stay off of it for a week just to be safe. Sure is nice when it is done though, so much cleaner and easier to sweep/blow out.
                                                                                        Agreed. I've always loved the finish look. I'm a car person too, and there's just something about a nice clean car sitting in a nice clean garage that just does it for me.

                                                                                        As to your HVAC project: Maybe look into duct fan boosters. They help pull/push air along a duct to rooms that may be further from the unit, etc.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #94
                                                                                          They make fans that go in the run of your duct work to pull extra air to the room. Not sure of that will solve your issue, but it's an option.

                                                                                          EDIT: BBG beat me to it.
                                                                                          #TeamKizer

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #95
                                                                                            Yes, duct fans are in the mix. I am noticing a lot of hot air comes out when the A/C initially starts up. The fan really wouldn't help with that so the idea of either framing in those ducts or running them more in the attic floor/2nd floor ceiling starts to be attractive. The fan would probably still be needed as the volume won't be solved, still the longest runs by a large margin. Screwing with the dampers seems to only make a bunch of noise without redirecting much air where I want it.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #96
                                                                                              This is what I plan to do this fall/winter.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #97
                                                                                                Originally posted by NCDomer View Post
                                                                                                This is what I plan to do this fall/winter.
                                                                                                Ooooooooo...candleholders, eh?
                                                                                                Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #98
                                                                                                  Originally posted by NCDomer View Post
                                                                                                  This is what I plan to do this fall/winter.
                                                                                                  Very nice. Any idea what kind of wood you'll use?

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #99
                                                                                                    Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                                                                    Not to step into the middle of a pissing contest but:

                                                                                                    My airflow to the master bedroom sucks rocks. I am looking for ways to re-do the attic ductwork to improve on this. Two trunks off the A/C upstairs and the two master vents are the end of the line for both and by far the longest. Some of them are somewhat compressed so I am sure that adds to the issue. We intend to finish out the attic in the future so re-working the maze of ducts is in the cards down the road anyway.

                                                                                                    1) Anyone work with HVAC ducts in the past and attest to difficulty to DIY this? Seems straight forward enough to me but have never done it.

                                                                                                    2) Any thoughts on alternative methods to insulated round ducts laying all over. Thinking of running in floor joists or framing and insulating square vents.

                                                                                                    I am thinking I can over engineer it and DIY for much more efficient solution. Tinkering with different vents to see what works and taking longer will allow me to see what works best.

                                                                                                    As for pissing contest - no one cares as much about my house as me so I tend to not trust contractors to do any more than they have to or can get a way with. I like to know how stuff is supposed to work so an ounce of prevention can save a pound of cure. Then there is the cost benefit of buying substantially higher quality materials and still costing less than someone else doing it for me.

                                                                                                    Downside - fifty incomplete projects around the house and any given time.
                                                                                                    I replaced my ducts in the attic with new and similar. The worst and most difficult part was applying the mastic at the joints. Everything else was just physical labor. I stayed with the insulated tubes as they are relatively cheap, easy to work with and easy to handle by yourself.

                                                                                                    I also air sealed around the boot and ceiling interface (@ each drop) from the attic side to prevent any cool air from entering back into the attic. Spray foam or a good bit of mastic will work.

                                                                                                    Other alternatives are steel square ducts but you still have to wrap them and if you miss any part or leave any exposed steel, you wil get condensation during the summer and fall, especially where we live. Bye bye drywall hello mold. They are hard to assemble and maneuver in tight spaces too. Meteing out the volume can be tricky with these as well. These require at least another pair of adequately skilled hands.

                                                                                                    You may know this already but obviously you want smaller ducts the further away from the fan you are. If you aren't getting enough flow at the end runs, your unit may be undersized. Check your return and make sure it's clean and not clogged because that will starve your unit and it will start pulling outside air in from where ever the is a hole. A quick service call to check your coolant cures most ills though.

                                                                                                    A word of caution of running duct through the floor joists. I would advise against cutting holes or removing sections of the joists!!!! If the duct does not fit I would leave the joists alone. It's much better to frame under/over them if needed.

                                                                                                    I have managed to zero condensation occur since I used the insulated tubes.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Cackalacky; 08-17-2015, 08:46 PM.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Koon,
                                                                                                      Don't be afraid to take on the project. It's not rocket science. My wife and I bought a Victorian home built in 1883. It needed everything. We had no remodeling experience. Her and I alone have done everything (except the roof, she wouldn't let me). This includes replacing electrical (socket, panel, wire), drywall, floors, framing, cabinets.

                                                                                                      I tend to think you care more about the stuff you do as opposed to the work you hire out. The key is doing a little homework up front and having the right tools.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X