No announcement yet.

Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm doing wood and will take care of it, Composite is not in the koon's budget.

Comment

• Last QU I promise -- does anyone have a suggestion on going 10 by 16 instead of 10 by 14? Again, my reason would be that they sell boards at 16', and also 'why not'.

Any cost/cutting/convenience considerations or is it no difference?

It will be on the side of the house, house is relatively small, about 45' by 25'

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
        Carpenter bees. Anyone have any thoughts ?
        Well they have teeny tiny hammers, so it takes a while for them to do a job, but they do good work.

Have you tried smoking them out? Never tried it, but heard it works.
        Last edited by Irish#1; 05-25-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by koonja View Post
          The deck was taken yesterday when it was posted, so I'm out of luck there. Perhaps a blessing in disguise.

Drawing up my site plan now - was going to go 10x14, but considering going 10x16 since it appears that boards are sold in 16' incriments.
          Now you're falling in line. You won't regret making it bigger, but you'll regret not making it big enough. As a bonus, if the boards are 16', that's a lot less cutting you have to do.

Comment

Last QU I promise -- does anyone have a suggestion on going 10 by 16 instead of 10 by 14? Again, my reason would be that they sell boards at 16', and also 'why not'.

Any cost/cutting/convenience considerations or is it no difference?

It will be on the side of the house, house is relatively small, about 45' by 25'
            Ironically, I just built a back deck with steps today. Just got done, true story.

The only time I build decks in sizes not in lumber increments is when they have to have a custom shape for whatever reason. So you hit the nail on the head (see what I did there? Snort). If you build in the dimensions of boards (8,10,12, etc) then you have less cuts and less mistakes. Which also makes the job easier.
            Originally posted by koonja
            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
              Ironically, I just built a back deck with steps today. Just got done, true story.

The only time I build decks in sizes not in lumber increments is when they have to have a custom shape for whatever reason. So you hit the nail on the head (see what I did there? Snort). If you build in the dimensions of boards (8,10,12, etc) then you have less cuts and less mistakes. Which also makes the job easier.
              Wooly I like you way better today.

Comment

Wooly I like you way better today.
                I had a snickers bar this morning.

Comment

I bought the house 10 months ago, and have since replaced 10 windows, installed a door to the basement, installed a 27' tile back splash all by my lonesome, replaced some porch boards, replaced a bathroom exhaust fan with a light/heater/exhaust combo, and will have a deck in before my 1 year anniversary.

There is a reason I lived there for the 1st year while renting out to 3 girls, I just don't have small man syndrome so didn't feel the need to explain my reasoning for having roommates in my 20s when I move to a new city, but since you ask.
                  I got nuthin but respect for you. Do that 2 or three more times, then come back when you are 40 and laugh. Doing what it takes to make money while you sleep...hell I don't even know you and it makes me smile.
                  One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

• Do it before you have kids. As soon as our first born came on the scene all the projects in our 80+ year old house came to a screeching halt and I have not been remotely as productive since. At least 3-4 times longer to finish projects than pre-kids.

I want to gut and rebuild our downstairs bathroom and the main hang up is the self awareness that I just don't have that many continuous hours to plug into that type of project to get it done in less than two or three years. The wife is accepting of sectioned off war zone but is lying to herself about the statute of limitations on said war zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                      Do it before you have kids. As soon as our first born came on the scene all the projects in our 80+ year old house came to a screeching halt and I have not been remotely as productive since. At least 3-4 times longer to finish projects than pre-kids.
                      My wife's motto has become "...but we won't." We're looking to move into a bigger house in the next few years and we're going to have to find something that's move-in ready. Every time we see a house that's less than perfect we end up saying something like "all we need to do is replace the shower in the master bedroom."

...but we won't.

Comment

• Just a super dumb, minor question, but I want to ask you guys before I start googling and trying to sift through marketing bullsh*t.

Anybody got a recommendation for general, wide-range bug-bombing? My basement stays damp and the foundation leaves something to be desired, so I'm "constantly" battling insect forces as they move through the house once they're in.

I can just pick something up at the store and treat the perimeter of my basement and the upstairs, but I figured I'd check to see if any of you guys might recommend something that I can use upstairs without worrying about sketchy sprays getting on my couches and tables and kitchen things.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                          Just a super dumb, minor question, but I want to ask you guys before I start googling and trying to sift through marketing bullsh*t.

Anybody got a recommendation for general, wide-range bug-bombing? My basement stays damp and the foundation leaves something to be desired, so I'm "constantly" battling insect forces as they move through the house once they're in.

I can just pick something up at the store and treat the perimeter of my basement and the upstairs, but I figured I'd check to see if any of you guys might recommend something that I can use upstairs without worrying about sketchy sprays getting on my couches and tables and kitchen things.
                          Do you have kids or dogs? We had hella fire ants when we lived in Florida and had great success with Borax for border control. It wasn't a "seek and destroy" solution that would destroy colonies, but if you put a border around your basement perimeter it will keep from going up the walls into your living space. In terms of killing colonies, you'll probably want some kind of bait. Workers take the bait into their colonies, feed it to the queen, and the whole colony dies.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                            Do it before you have kids. As soon as our first born came on the scene all the projects in our 80+ year old house came to a screeching halt and I have not been remotely as productive since. At least 3-4 times longer to finish projects than pre-kids.

I want to gut and rebuild our downstairs bathroom and the main hang up is the self awareness that I just don't have that many continuous hours to plug into that type of project to get it done in less than two or three years. The wife is accepting of sectioned off war zone but is lying to herself about the statute of limitations on said war zone.
                            Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                            My wife's motto has become "...but we won't." We're looking to move into a bigger house in the next few years and we're going to have to find something that's move-in ready. Every time we see a house that's less than perfect we end up saying something like "all we need to do is replace the shower in the master bedroom."

...but we won't.
                            That is the damn truth right here. Kids are fucking awesome. The caveat is that they are free time suckers (in a good way). My wife is constantly pestering me about if we aren't doing projects then we should move. I'd consider it if there was almost zero work done and had the space I'd like for us + a pool etc. But I am sure that house only exists in fantasy land.

Comment

• Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                              Do you have kids or dogs? We had hella fire ants when we lived in Florida and had great success with Borax for border control. It wasn't a "seek and destroy" solution that would destroy colonies, but if you put a border around your basement perimeter it will keep from going up the walls into your living space. In terms of killing colonies, you'll probably want some kind of bait. Workers take the bait into their colonies, feed it to the queen, and the whole colony dies.
                              I do have a dog, and a pregnant wife, so I'd like to avoid anything too potent. I'm not too worried about seek-and-destroy. We had standard ants that had found their way in last year and were running a line to an abandoned dog treat that had been lost under a couch. I set some basic ant traps at their point of entry on the inside as well as the outside (they were coming in through a hole in my brick mortar, and somehow then getting through a loose baseboard), and Raided the spots as well, and took them out.

I'm just looking for more basic, all-insect border control. I'll do some research on Borax and similar products.

Comment

I do have a dog, and a pregnant wife, so I'd like to avoid anything too potent. I'm not too worried about seek-and-destroy. We had standard ants that had found their way in last year and were running a line to an abandoned dog treat that had been lost under a couch. I set some basic ant traps at their point of entry on the inside as well as the outside (they were coming in through a hole in my brick mortar, and somehow then getting through a loose baseboard), and Raided the spots as well, and took them out.

I'm just looking for more basic, all-insect border control. I'll do some research on Borax and similar products.
                                If you can find the interior entry point, throw some talcum powder down. It helps. Ants have been bad in our area this year so I sprayed the perimeter of the house on the exterior and it helped too. I can't remember the product but I picked it up at Home Depot.

Comment

• Looks like I want the standard Ortho Perimeter defense. Safe for pets once it's dried, and looks like it's okay for baseboards in the kitchen as well. That was easy. I thought I'd get a bunch of results for products and have to sift through claims and Q&A's.

Comment

Just a super dumb, minor question, but I want to ask you guys before I start googling and trying to sift through marketing bullsh*t.

I use a product called Talstar. Seems to work well, easy to apply.

Talstar One, Talstar P, Talstar Pro Insecticide - Free Shipping
                                    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Borax works on all kinds of insects. I would put it down around the perimeter of your house, then where the floor meets the wall in the basement.

Comment

• Contractor came back with a materials list and price for the 10x16' deck. He gets a 31% discount through someone he knows there, and the total for materials is just over $500, which seems very fair.

However, the list includes AC2 Green Treated lumber. This is what I assume it is:

http://www.menards.com/main/search.h...arch=AC2+Green

From reading about it, this sounds like it'll do fine, but wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this type of wood and staining it. I'd like to give it a dark/caramel colored stain and wondering how it'd take to it. I don't understand the 'green treated' because the wood doesn't look green.

Comment

• I don't know what "green treated lumber" means, but "green" lumber typically means it is freshly cut and has a higher moisture content than kiln dried lumber. The "treated" typically means it has been pressure treated which is what you want for most outdoor uses. I wonder if he is getting his lumber directly from the lumber mill?

Possibly they are using "green" to refer to the green color from the pressure treatment.

Comment

Contractor came back with a materials list and price for the 10x16' deck. He gets a 31% discount through someone he knows there, and the total for materials is just over $500, which seems very fair.

However, the list includes AC2 Green Treated lumber. This is what I assume it is:

From reading about it, this sounds like it'll do fine, but wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this type of wood and staining it. I'd like to give it a dark/caramel colored stain and wondering how it'd take to it. I don't understand the 'green treated' because the wood doesn't look green.
                                            Originally posted by Monk View Post
                                            I don't know what "green treated lumber" means, but "green" lumber typically means it is freshly cut and has a higher moisture content than kiln dried lumber. The "treated" typically means it has been pressure treated which is what you want for most outdoor uses. I wonder if he is getting his lumber directly from the lumber mill?

Possibly they are using "green" to refer to the green color from the pressure treatment.
                                            I think "green" in this context might mean eco-friendly.

Comment

• Green treated wood is just another name for pressure treated wood. It's called that because the chemical treatment used to pressure treat leaves green residue on the outside of the wood. It stains fine and is a good economy choice for decks.

Comment

I think "green" in this context might mean eco-friendly.
                                                If you look at the link, it's pressure treated he's referencing.

Comment

• This is from Menards.

I'm having a hard time to compare because the list, produced by Menards, spells out that I need to get 'AC2 Green Treated Above Ground'.

But when you go to their website, it only says 'AC2 Pressure Treated'. There's no 'AC2 Green Treated'.

Maybe I'm looking too closely at the details and these are actually the same thing, just wish they'd name them consistently from their invoice to their website.

Comment

Comment

This is from Menards.

I'm having a hard time to compare because the list, produced by Menards, spells out that I need to get 'AC2 Green Treated Above Ground'.

But when you go to their website, it only says 'AC2 Pressure Treated'. There's no 'AC2 Green Treated'.

Maybe I'm looking too closely at the details and these are actually the same thing, just wish they'd name them consistently from their invoice to their website.
                                                      Did you not read my post? Green is the same as Pressure Treated.

Comment

Did you not read my post? Green is the same as Pressure Treated.
                                                        Thanks!

Comment

• Don't know what green treated wood is? Yeah, better let other people handle your projects.

Comment

Contractor came back with a materials list and price for the 10x16' deck. He gets a 31% discount through someone he knows there, and the total for materials is just over $500, which seems very fair.

You mention a contractor giving a supply quote. Is this person also installing or just supplying the material to you?
                                                            #TeamKizer

Comment

This is from Menards.

Make sure your contractor doesn't buy their lumber from Menards. It's third rate compared to Home Depot. Lowes is a little better, then Menards. A true lumber yard is typically the best place to buy lumber. You get what you pay for.

Comment

• Anyone have experience with vinyl plank flooring?

I have to lay a kitchen floor for a rental and it's supposed to be really durable. Installation is easy too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                                  Anyone have experience with vinyl plank flooring?

I have to lay a kitchen floor for a rental and it's supposed to be really durable. Installation is easy too.
                                                                  Isn't that a pretty pricey option for a rental?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                                                                    You mention a contractor giving a supply quote. Is this person also installing or just supplying the material to you?
                                                                    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                    Make sure your contractor doesn't buy their lumber from Menards. It's third rate compared to Home Depot. Lowes is a little better, then Menards. A true lumber yard is typically the best place to buy lumber. You get what you pay for.
                                                                    He did the design with Menards and printed out an itemized list of every item needed. He's also building it with me, I told him I want to help to see how it's done.

I'm getting it at Menards. Home Depot is out of my budget for this project as it pushes the price a few hundred dollars as I'm getting a 31% discount at Menards from ordering from the contractor's friend who works there.

Comment

I told him I want to help to see how it's done.
                                                                      Isn't that a huge no-no from an insurance perspective?

Comment

Isn't that a huge no-no from an insurance perspective?
                                                                        No idea, but we're building a ground level deck so I think we'll be fine. What's life without a little risk.

Comment

No idea, but we're building a ground level deck so I think we'll be fine. What's life without a little risk.
                                                                          Hell, if he shoots himself in the foot with a nail gun and you get sued.

Comment

We're screwing everything.

Comment

• Southern crawl spaces - I am confused on proper ventilation. Hear to open vents summer and not winter, seal it up and climate control, or even open winter and not summer.... Just confused.

So I added a dehumidifier direct draining to outside and have it mostly closed up. Essentially goes from full height with large concrete slab and entrance in once corner to hands and knees in opposite corner due to slope of our lot. Store a lot of tools and golf cart down there so want it done right for reasons beyond normal crawl space considerations.

And no, I am not going to convert it to a rental unit.

Comment

Nails for a deck... Pfft... Amateur...

Comment

• Advice on staining a new deck with pressure treated wood?

I see there are a ton of options. Transparent and waterproof (dont want transparent cause treated by itself looks bad), toners, semi transparent stain, semi solid stain, solid color stain, restoration coatings.

After transparent and water proof, they all start to sound the same. i'd like it a color like the below, but more concerned with protecting the wood. Any first time advice?

https://www.google.com/search?q=deck...6DJQP1xnjrM%3A

Comment

Advice on staining a new deck with pressure treated wood?

I see there are a ton of options. Transparent and waterproof (dont want transparent cause treated by itself looks bad), toners, semi transparent stain, semi solid stain, solid color stain, restoration coatings.

After transparent and water proof, they all start to sound the same. i'd like it a color like the below, but more concerned with protecting the wood. Any first time advice?

https://www.google.com/search?q=deck...6DJQP1xnjrM%3A
                                                                                    I don't get it. Are you asking us to pick a color for you? For real?

Screw stain. Get water colors and paint it gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                      This

Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                                                                      He did the design with Menards and printed out an itemized list of every item needed. He's also building it with me, I told him I want to help to see how it's done.

I'm getting it at Menards. Home Depot is out of my budget for this project as it pushes the price a few hundred dollars as I'm getting a 31% discount at Menards from ordering from the contractor's friend who works there.
                                                                                      A few things. The extra you pay for Home Depot lumber is definitely worth it and you will notice a difference down the road. Also what a lot of people don't know is that Home Depot has 'sales reps'. If your guy is a legit contractor he can contact them with a list of his needs and they'll actually bid on the lot as a whole. Considerably cheaper than pricing each and calculating it. Often delivered too. Menards will also do something similar if you go to the contractor's desk and ask for a bulk buy deviation.

Also, ensure you seal every cut and screw hole on your boards. It'll last much longer.
                                                                                      #TeamKizer

Comment

I don't get it. Are you asking us to pick a color for you? For real?

Screw stain. Get water colors and paint it gold.
                                                                                        Lol no, but I'm trying to understand the difference between semi-transparent and semi-solid, and if there's anything to watch out for. If all is fair game and matter of preference, I'm good.

Comment

Lol no, but I'm trying to understand the difference between semi-transparent and semi-solid, and if there's anything to watch out for. If all is fair game and matter of preference, I'm good.
                                                                                          Ha. I guess it just depends on the finish you want. Solid stains are going to look painted. I personally don't like the look (especially when it chips), but a clear finish looks fine after time. The green eventually fades as the wood weathers.

I usually use a semi transparent color myself.

Comment

Isn't that a pretty pricey option for a rental?
                                                                                            Yeah, it's not cheap. There are two different types - the interlocking stuff is about $2.50 per square foot the type that adhere to each other which run about $1.60.

Of course I would prefer something cheaper but it's in a kitchen and near an exterior door so I want something durable and water resistant so it's not an issue going forward.

I was going to lay some ceramic that'll cost me about $1.00/square foot. Not a bad savings but it's more labor intensive and it'll take me two days b/c of grout where this product will only take about half a day to finish.

I'd only consider the cheaper self adhering planks b/c of price but I'm a little skeptical about the durability. Reviews seem to be good but was wondering if anyone on the board has a different opinion.
                                                                                            Last edited by Wild Bill ; 06-02-2016, 11:50 AM. Reason: face on top was not intended and not sure how to delete...so disregard

Comment

• Australian Timber Oil - anyone have experience using that over the traditional semi-transparents for a deck?
                                                                                              Last edited by koonja; 06-03-2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                                                                                Yeah, it's not cheap. There are two different types - the interlocking stuff is about $2.50 per square foot the type that adhere to each other which run about $1.60.

Of course I would prefer something cheaper but it's in a kitchen and near an exterior door so I want something durable and water resistant so it's not an issue going forward.

I was going to lay some ceramic that'll cost me about $1.00/square foot. Not a bad savings but it's more labor intensive and it'll take me two days b/c of grout where this product will only take about half a day to finish.

I'd only consider the cheaper self adhering planks b/c of price but I'm a little skeptical about the durability. Reviews seem to be good but was wondering if anyone on the board has a different opinion.
                                                                                                Yeah, that's too pricey for my rentals. I've experimented with using higher grade finishes in hopes of getting better ROI through them lasting longer. I get burnt every time. Tenants will find a way to destroy flooring regardless of material. I usually get single families with kids. Which may be worse then pets actually.

I think materials vary with market though. I suppose some markets require nice materials in order to attract tenants. Mine isn't like that and nicer floors wouldn't allow me to charge more, as I'm top of the market already.

Comment

• I laughed today while at Lowes and came across the treated lumber. I picked up some 2x6's for a dock ladder project. This is treated for weather. Why is it green? Is that bad? What's pressure treated? Grabbed stainless screws. Couldn't believe I bought material for a project without consulting every decision with IE.

Comment

• For the deck, going with Cabot Gold Sunlit Walnut Satin stain. Really like the semi-darker glossy finish. Will probably be complete in a couple of weeks depending on how quickly the wood dries. I'll let you guys know what I think of the stain and try to post a deck pic (hah).

Comment

• 10 by 16 with 48 inch railing, almost finished.

Total materials, 1,100. Total labor, 570.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X