Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects/Home Improvement Thread

Thought I'd start a thread where we could share our projects or anything related. I Decide to slap a bar together about a month ago and give it a tropical/Key West theme. Now we can watch Irish games, grill and take a dip in the pool. Getting ready to start a hot rod as my next project, probably take a year or two.
    Also thought we could use this thread to help answer any questions some might have on their own projects/ home improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea for a thread. Reps.

Comment

Nice bar. I know where I'll be watching the games at.
      #TeamKizer

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
        Great idea for a thread. Reps.
        Agreed, great idea. I have a few projects for the home we just moved into a few weeks ago. Not the least of which is a shed renovation to make it habitable. The previous owner ran electric and half way finished it (put up some drywall and hung a drop ceiling) but the concrete is cracked and I believe it's allowing bugs and mice in.

The other three projects on the docket:

1. Finish the garage with insulation and some type of wall so it becomes a four-season work space. It's a 4 car garage and I'm uncertain how to do the cooling/heating. I've seen a lot of guys suggest mini-splits

2. We also have an old barn on the property and I'd like to weather proof it and use one partition for chickens and another partition as a little micro-brewery.

3. We want to put in a fire pit next year, I'm thinking I'd like to dig it into the earth and get some big stones to make up the seating.

4. Put in fruit trees/bushes and combo vegetable and herb garden.

I could really use help on fixing up the shed first, as it's a prime candidate to become an office should my home be filled with kids down the line.

Comment

Whiskey, we want to see your koi pond
          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

I just bought a house in Uptown Minneapolis as a rental property investment. I need to add a floor-level deck and don't know anything about it. I have friends that claim they can build a deck, but I also want it done right. I see Home Depot allows you to make the blueprint and they list every item you need. Has anyone done this through Home Depot? How'd it go?

Comment

Originally posted by koonja View Post
              I just bought a house in Uptown Minneapolis as a rental property investment. I need to add a floor-level deck and don't know anything about it. I have friends that claim they can build a deck, but I also want it done right. I see Home Depot allows you to make the blueprint and they list every item you need. Has anyone done this through Home Depot? How'd it go?
              Decks are a huge liability with rentals. Pay a pro and get it done right if you can't DIY.

Comment

I HIGHLY recommend you have an engineer or contractor do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                  Decks are a huge liability with rentals. Pay a pro and get it done right if you can't DIY.
                  I HIGHLY recommend you have an engineer or contractor do it.
                  There's a walkout sliding door off of the dining room, so just putting a simple, like 12x12 deck there. Still recommend a pro?

Comment

There's a walkout sliding door off of the dining room, so just putting a simple, like 12x12 deck there. Still recommend a pro?
                    How far off the ground? For some reason I was thinking it was high.

Comment

I just saw you said it was floor level. It's not too difficult. But you need some tools and you have to know the basics. Just make sure it's structurally strong - properly attach the ledger and footings/posts.

Comment

How do I put pics on here from my phone?

Comment

How far off the ground? For some reason I was thinking it was high.
                          I don't know the exact measurement but I'm guessing 24-30 inches.

Comment

I don't know the exact measurement but I'm guessing 24-30 inches.
                            Oh, yeah...that's not what I was thinking. I would still recommend a contractor like WildBill said to have it done right. Rental properties are rife with liabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by cody1smith View Post
                              If the pics are on your phone you need to upload them to a site like imgur.com It will generate a code that you can then link using the image link button in the post here.

Comment

Having just sold my home of 32+ years in MPLS – I'm officially a homeless vagabond sponging off siblings – and having done much work (some via contractor [anything outdoors and visible to inspectors] some not [some indoor, out-of-sight projects I could handle after studying and adhering to current code]) but I'd go with the licensed, bonded contractor complete with permits.

Especially as a rental property it will draw the attention of any number of officials and be scrutinized (rightfully) by neighbors. Owner occupied duplexes, triplexes and four-plexes get some slack, but not much.

Good luck and do right by my 37 year "home" town!

Comment

Go pro. Even at 24" someone can get hurt, and you'll be poor. I would imagine you'll need permits and it to be inspected following the build.
                                  #TeamKizer

Comment

Geez fellas, I don't know how handy Koon is outside of carpentry, but I've done about 5 decks in my life. Including one on a rental. My first, when I was a kid with my step father. The rest, just grabbed a friend that had experience. Decks aren't rocket science. I get the whole liability thing, but if you want to make money on a rental, you can't dump a bunch of money in contractors all of the time.

I would pay an electrician way before I would pay some schlep to do a deck.
                                    Originally posted by koonja
                                    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

I bought a house the other day and I'm rehabbing it on my own. I removed a load bearing wall this weekend and recessed a beam so my lady can enjoy an "open concept" as if that wasn't possible with a simple header.

Now that it's done, I like it and feel it was worth the time and effort. But damn, it was a bitch setting that heavy ass beam between the ceiling joists.

Comment

One thing, insurance wise, if you attach the structure of the deck to the house,then it is covered by the home insurance's dwelling coverage. If you just butt it up against the house, it is covered by the other structures coverage. Make sure you have it covered correctly. Good luck, my friends.
                                        Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                          Geez fellas, I don't know how handy Koon is outside of carpentry, but I've done about 5 decks in my life. Including one on a rental. My first, when I was a kid with my step father. The rest, just grabbed a friend that had experience. Decks aren't rocket science. I get the whole liability thing, but if you want to make money on a rental, you can't dump a bunch of money in contractors all of the time.

I would pay an electrician way before I would pay some schlep to do a deck.
                                          Agreed. Decks are not rocket science. There's a million how-to books and you don't need a bunch of tools. Just a skill say, compound miter, and drill.

My only recommendation, don't use the block support method. Set your post in cement.
                                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Also as an FYI attaching to your house might require permits etc. Depends on municpality bylaws etc etc. Always cover your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by cody1smith View Post
                                              If you get the Tapatalk app you just tap the pic of the mountain when you're replying to a thread and it will automatically open your phone photos and let you select the ones you want.

Comment

Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                Also as an FYI attaching to your house might require permits etc. Depends on municpality bylaws etc etc. Always cover your ass.
                                                The deck may require a building permit regardless of being attached or not. Check the code first. Nothing worse than an assessor coming by and finding something built that didn't have a permit for it. I'll go with Irish YJ and Wooly. It's more common sense and a little homework up front. If you do it yourself, get yourself a nice level at least 3 ft. long. Preferably 5-6ft.

Comment

I just bought a new spec home and the garage is way too small. Does anyone have a storage mezzanine in their garage? I'm thinking that is going to be the only way to get cars into this thing.

Comment

Nothing against Koon, but all those reasons are why I said go Pro. Permits, inspections, attaching to the house, and being where he is it'll need to be set below the frost line. Koon, I may be wrong, but I just don't see you as the handy man. Or having enough knowledge to oversee friends who do.
                                                    #TeamKizer

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Insanity View Post
                                                      Nothing against Koon, but all those reasons are why I said go Pro. Permits, inspections, attaching to the house, and being where he is it'll need to be set below the frost line. Koon, I may be wrong, but I just don't see you as the handy man. Or having enough knowledge to oversee friends who do.
                                                      The permits are ridiculously easy to get, attaching it to the house is simple and a google search of your region's frostline will have you all squared away.

Koon might not be Bob Vila yet, but if he ever wants to make money on his rentals. Then he is going to have to learn how to do stuff like this eventually. All projects seem daunting until you do them.

Comment

I'm not getting into the business of rental investments, this is the only one I plan to own on the side of my day job. So I don't feel like it's something I need to learn I'm order to be succesful, because this could be the only deck I ever have built for all I know.

But no, I'm not a handiman around the house. I do need permit, msp is pretty strict about stuff like that. Like I said, it'll be to walk out of the dining room on the main floor, so I plan on it being attqched to the house (to be honest, idk how it'd NOT be attached to the house... I never thought of that as an option). I have friends that are more handy than i, and a few have said they could build it no problem. But they're I think most of them have maybe helped build one, but not taken the lead on building one.

Comment

I'm not getting into the business of rental investments, this is the only one I plan to own on the side of my day job. So I don't feel like it's something I need to learn I'm order to be succesful, because this could be the only deck I ever have built for all I know.

But no, I'm not a handiman around the house. I do need permit, msp is pretty strict about stuff like that. Like I said, it'll be to walk out of the dining room on the main floor, so I plan on it being attqched to the house (to be honest, idk how it'd NOT be attached to the house... I never thought of that as an option). I have friends that are more handy than i, and a few have said they could build it no problem. But they're I think most of them have maybe helped build one, but not taken the lead on building one.
                                                          What's the point of owning a rental if you don't make money on it?

If you pay a contractor a couple thousand to build it, are you telling me that doesn't significantly cut into your profit? There is a ton of maintenance that goes into a rental, when you pair that with vacancy, taxes and upkeep... you spell a recipe for disaster. There is a lot more that goes into figuring out your profit then simply subtracting your mortgage payment from your rent. If you don't have any desire to become a quasi "handyman"... then you don't want to own a rental, homie.

People may tell you different, but my family owns a bunch of rentals. My wife's family owns over 20 rentals. I own three. I'm telling you straight up that if you think you can simply pay contractors for your maintenance or improvements, then you should probably invest your money elsewhere. Rental properties are a handyman business. Plain and simple.

Comment

Also looking to replace about 10 windows throughout the house. It's an older home that is pretty much completely remodeled but has no deck and has the original windows still. I cannot change windows and from what I've read that's more difficult than building a deck, so will also be having that done professionally. Any advice for doing about 10 windows throughout? Or what a price for that project would be? Including the cost of windows? I've not researched windows much but it sounds like it's going to cost a few thousand dollars.

Comment

Also looking to replace about 10 windows throughout the house. It's an older home that is pretty much completely remodeled but has no deck and has the original windows still. I cannot change windows and from what I've read that's more difficult than building a deck, so will also be having that done professionally. Any advice for doing about 10 windows throughout? Or what a price for that project would be? Including the cost of windows? I've not researched windows much but it sounds like it's going to cost a few thousand dollars.
                                                              Smh... you are going to take a bath on this place.

Comment

Lol, why do you say that?

Comment

I'm glad Koon's back. Gives Wooly someone else to "interact with."

Comment

Do the windows yourself. That's like changing a light bulb.
                                                                    #TeamKizer

Comment

One more thing on the deck also. This is a rental, not your personal house. Why not build some steps from the door down the 24 inches and put in a ground level patio.
                                                                      #TeamKizer

Comment

Do the windows yourself. That's like changing a light bulb.
                                                                        Depends on what he means when he says this is an "older home." There's no guarantee that the frames are square or structurally sound.

Comment

Long story short, I took a consulting gig in health care in Minneapolis, so I just moved from Columbus 3 weeks ago. I knew I was moving for a while, so I had time to research the housing market for Minneapolis. Rent is really high for Uptown Minneapolis, higher than in Columbus. So I started to look into buying, and found a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom home in a great location. I started to put feelers out for roommates, renters, and got a lot of inquiries.

I'm actually living in the house, and having 3 roommates/renters. It's a nice set up for me, because my room is a master and on the 1st floor, and the other bathroom/3 beds are upstairs. I can show you guys the link to the place if you're interested in checking it out. My roommates are 3 girls, which I both like and dislike. I like because they'll be gentle on the house, but dislike for obvious reasons, but they're good peopple so it should be a good time. I plan to live there for 2-3 years, then slide myself out and continue it as a full rental.

This is not a forever house, but it's pretty nice still. Besides the deck and windows, lol. Windows are all original wood frames and likely need to be replaced.

Comment

Because you don't know how to do anything. Nor do you have the desire to learn how.

That is a sure fire, 100% way to get burned in rentals. There is no "i'm just using it as a side investment" with rentals. You either understand all of the numbers associated with your ROI and are willing to utilize your skills to fit that, or you lose your @ss.

Seeing how you want to pay a contractor to do your deck and you think installing windows is too hard.... seems pretty clear which direction you're heading.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I'm actually living in the house, and having 3 roommates/renters.
                                                                              A grown man shouldn't have roommates.

My roommates are 3 girls.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                                                Depends on what he means when he says this is an "older home." There's no guarantee that the frames are square or structurally sound.
                                                                                So you square them.

I bet you have a very nice tool belt.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Because you don't know how to do anything. Nor do you have the desire to learn how.

That is a sure fire, 100% way to get burned in rentals. There is no "i'm just using it as a side investment" with rentals. You either understand all of the numbers associated with your ROI and are willing to utilize your skills to fit that, or you lose your @ss.

Seeing how you want to pay a contractor to do your deck and you think installing windows is too hard.... seems pretty clear which direction you're heading.
                                                                                  I didn't say I have don't have the desire to learn. Just that IDK that learning it will pay dividiends later on since I very well may never build another deck in my life since this is my only property.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I don't think a contractor is a bad thing for bigger jobs if he doesn't have the skills to do it. Drywall, painting, flooring, easy access plumbing, door/window replacement, and finish work should all be done by him. We also don't know the what he paid for the house or the value in the area. I paid 9k for my first house, and 11k for the one I just sold. I see a deck 24" off the ground being a safety issue to others if not done properly. I don't see that as a 'teach yourself to be handy' moment.
                                                                                    Last edited by Irish Insanity; 08-17-2015, 08:33 AM.
                                                                                    #TeamKizer

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      So you square them.
                                                                                      You've mastered the skill of arguing with me when I agree with you. Your combination of cognitive dissonance and persistence is truly a sight to behold. My point is that, like you, it doesn't appear that Koon has the skills necessary to take this project on. Given the choice of paying-more-than-DIY-and-having-it-done-right or jacking-up-your-house-and-paying-even-more-than-if-you-just-hired-a-guy-in-the-first-place, he should pick the former.

I bet you have a very nice tool belt.
                                                                                      Do you get paid to be a douchenozzle, or does it just come naturally? I, like Koon, have very little skill or experience with DIY projects. My expertise extends no further than building a pinewood derby car or a nice-looking cornhole board. I am, however, well-versed in the world of personal finance and investing.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I am an experienced painter. So take that Wooly.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I didn't say I have don't have the desire to learn. Just that IDK that learning it will pay dividiends later on since I very well may never build another deck in my life since this is my only property.
                                                                                          You can't say that for certain when you've already said this isn't your forever home. So at some point there will be another.
                                                                                          #TeamKizer

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            My roommates are 3 girls.
                                                                                            I thought all the Mormons lived in Utah?
                                                                                            #TeamKizer

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Here's mine....it's quite extensive.

"Tribal tattoos: Another way to say you will be sent dick pics."
                                                                                              -rifftrax

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                You can't say that for certain when you've already said this isn't your forever home. So at some point there will be another.
                                                                                                That's true, but I don't anticipate buying a house that requires much work when I plan to live there for a long time (life?).

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  That's true, but I don't anticipate buying a house that requires much work when I plan to live there for a long time (life?).
                                                                                                  If you plan on purchasing a home, and living there for any extensive period of time, it will always need improvement. Or over time it will become the worst home on the block.
                                                                                                  #TeamKizer

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    If you plan on purchasing a home, and living there for any extensive period of time, it will always need improvement. Or over time it will become the worst home on the block.
                                                                                                    Right, but a deck isn't something you replace every 5 years is all I'm saying.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X