Lawrence Phillips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawrence Phillips

I found this story quite interesting. One of missed opportunity and one of mental illness. People always think mental illness is limited to severe depression, autism or a product of physical disability. Sometimes it's more than that. External elements such as lack of parental figures, mental/physical abuse and circumstance can have long lasting effects on mental health. I believe that this is very relevant in Mr Phillips case. While the article doesn't refer to mental illness specifically, I can't help but to think how his life would have been with supportive parents, a stable home or even support from a mental health program.

It's Mental Health Awareness Month, so I thought this story would be an interesting one to share. I'm interested in the board's thoughts on the matter.

For Lawrence Phillips, a Dead Cellmate and Another Day of Reckoning | Bleacher Report
    Originally posted by koonja
    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Speaking of his life and not just the time in prison, you can tell he understands himself and his environment, yet you wonder why he lets himself get into some of those situations?

I have a feeling that he would have turned out just fine if he had decent parents to raise him.

Comment

Great thread Wooly.

I think it is tragic how little we as a nation understand mental health and how few opportunities are given to people to get the help they need. It seems like a person has to completely crash before anyone pays any attention to them and by then it is usually the prison system that pays attention to them.

I would be very interested in seeing if the author does get to speak to LP and if so reading about that conversation.

Comment

I don't excuse anything he did, but it really sounds like Lawrence Phillips never had a shot. Sure, he had the world laid out in front of him in a way very few of us ever will, but it doesn't matter when you've already been sabotaged at such an early age.

Comment

Sad story. Happens more then folks think.
          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

I believe undoubtedly that mental illness is applicable here. Mental illness can come from so many factors physical trauma, chemical/nutritional, conditioned/behavioral/habitual and that list is probably not complete. As to the question of nature and nurture in this case or in almost all human cases, it is my opinion that nature is the overwhelmingly small part of the human being. We are NOT computers, but we are LIKE computers in that, if an individual has nothing but negative and traumatic inputs during the "formative" years one can expect mostly negative outputs. We are all able to rise above our conditioning through consciousness and work, but by and large we are a product of our experiences, especially our early experiences. If most people have loving, caring, supportive relationships, and are not suffering from physical or chemical imbalances, you will have mostly stable and healthy individuals.
            Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nebraska?src=hash">#Nebraska</a> star Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison, death being investigated as apparent suicide.</p>&mdash; 247Sports (@247Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports/status/687339116946714625">January 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
              <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Wow. Such a tragic life.

Comment

Wow. Tragic... Many of us would do just about anything to have had his talents in life. But would we trade it all for the life he had to lead?

Comment

The whole story is just so sad.
                    RIP LP.
                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                      Wow. Tragic... Many of us would do just about anything to have had his talents in life. But would we trade it all for the life he had to lead?
                      Not to sound harsh, but it was his decisions. RIP LP.

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nebraska?src=hash">#Nebraska</a> star Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison, death being investigated as apparent suicide.</p>&mdash; 247Sports (@247Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports/status/687339116946714625">January 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
                        <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                        Incredibly sad course of events. RIP Lawrence and prayers to/for the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                          Not to sound harsh, but it was his decisions. RIP LP.
                          I respect you Irish! but I just wish mindsets like this could walk in shoes like those for a week. Feel the weight, feel the anguish of being an outsider for no apparent reason. It's usually people like this that are more kind and aware of their surroundings (others feelings) than they need to be. They weren't given skills to be selfish and narcissistic so they find little need for their own health and well being.
                          It's a societal issue and needs to be addressed as one. That day Is light years away.
                          I was smarter when I drank...
                          I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

RIP. Had an incredibly difficult childhood. Was an incredibly talented player. Was not able to put it together and made bad decisions and did some bad things. Its all sad. Too bad no one was able to help him figure it all out.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X