Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jones - Cormier ... UFC 182

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jones - Cormier ... UFC 182

    I don't see much about MMA here on IE. I get it, it's become a cheesy WWF style of sport over the years. Now, I used to really enjoy the sport when it was emerging but have lost interest since. This fight though is a different story.

    I have no predictions except that it is the best match-up in the sport since the early days.

    .

  • #2
    I think Jones reach is too much. There two truly despise each other, should be a good brawl.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Me2SouthBend View Post
      I think Jones reach is too much. There two truly despise each other, should be a good brawl.
      Jones has a total skill set that is only matched by St Pierre in the history of the sport but Cormier is an Olympic wrestler who can put you to sleep with his right.

      The more I think about it, the more I like Cormier.

      .

      Comment


      • #4
        Very interested to see the fight. Cormier fighting down might give him some more spring in his step but I think the reach is too much. I think Jones career goes the way of Anderson Silva in that he'll only lose when he doesn't want to win anymore. I don't think he's there yet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
          Jones has a total skill set that is only matched by St Pierre in the history of the sport but Cormier is an Olympic wrestler who can put you to sleep with his right.

          The more I think about it, the more I like Cormier.

          .
          Anderson Silva? He's the most dominant champ in UFC history.

          Comment


          • #6
            I made a thread for this a few weeks ago

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
              I don't see much about MMA here on IE. I get it, it's become a cheesy WWF style of sport over the years. Now, I used to really enjoy the sport when it was emerging but have lost interest since. This fight though is a different story.

              I have no predictions except that it is the best match-up in the sport since the early days.

              .
              I really disagree with your first statement. There is nothing WWF about MMA, cheesy is I guess in the eyes of the beholder. I have also been watching for a really long time and I enjoy it a lot more now as it is truly a sport, than in the early days before weight classes, and training camps when it was really just tough man competition and could be pretty brutal.
              As for this fight, I would love to see DC win, he is a pretty local guy, the Cormier's are a pretty big name in Louisiana quarter horse and thoroughbred circles, but I think JJ is just a little too much right now. He is in his prime and seems to be have all the pieces in place. Would bet JJ but wouldn't be shocked if DC pulled it out. Good fight tonight.
              Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                Anderson Silva? He's the most dominant champ in UFC history.
                He definitely belongs with those two. I was thinking wrestling/striker and not BJJ/striker

                Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                I made a thread for this a few weeks ago
                Sorry about that. I searched it by UFC and Cormier and both brought zero results.

                Originally posted by Redbar View Post
                I really disagree with your first statement. There is nothing WWF about MMA, cheesy is I guess in the eyes of the beholder. I have also been watching for a really long time and I enjoy it a lot more now as it is truly a sport, than in the early days before weight classes, and training camps when it was really just tough man competition and could be pretty brutal.
                As for this fight, I would love to see DC win, he is a pretty local guy, the Cormier's are a pretty big name in Louisiana quarter horse and thoroughbred circles, but I think JJ is just a little too much right now. He is in his prime and seems to be have all the pieces in place. Would bet JJ but wouldn't be shocked if DC pulled it out. Good fight tonight.
                I didn't miss one until the 100's. In the real early days it wasn't anything like a tough man competition... it was someone trying to figure out how to beat the Gracie BJJ whether it was Ken Shamrock or Dan Severn.

                The cheesy part of the sport came about with Chuck and Tito when they allowed the guy's personalities come out more. Once Lesnar joined, he taught them how to hype it and it seems every weigh in has a 'situation'.

                Add to that CM Punk joining and if they haven't jumped the shark.... the boats pulling them to the ramp.

                .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Really looking forward to this one. Jones is so long and can strike from so many angles. I never sleep on any top level wrestler though. IF jones doesn't land from the outside, I see Cormier being able to ground it out. Both have awesome skill sets, should be a war.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                    He definitely belongs with those two. I was thinking wrestling/striker and not BJJ/striker



                    Sorry about that. I searched it by UFC and Cormier and both brought zero results.



                    I didn't miss one until the 100's. In the real early days it wasn't anything like a tough man competition... it was someone trying to figure out how to beat the Gracie BJJ whether it was Ken Shamrock or Dan Severn.

                    The cheesy part of the sport came about with Chuck and Tito when they allowed the guy's personalities come out more. Once Lesnar joined, he taught them how to hype it and it seems every weigh in has a 'situation'.

                    Add to that CM Punk joining and if they haven't jumped the shark.... the boats pulling them to the ramp.

                    .
                    It was exactly tough man competition in that there were no weight classes, some guys trained professionally and some guys just liked to fight. Cabbage Carrera and Tank Abbott (and others) came from no fighting discipline whatsoever.. I remember one where a state trooper who liked to box at the gym came in as an alternate and landed a haymaker on this 40 something year old Karate instructor. Royce Gracie changed the sport when this 180 lb guy was submitting these huge behemoths.

                    I never had a problem with most of the personalities of the sport. The closest MMA has gotten to WWF was when Chael Sonnen was talking his way into match ups he had not earned. Brock Lesnar really tried to see if he could excel in MMA and that didn't last long. CM Punk I know nothing about but so far he seems respectful of the sport. If he thinks it is like WWF he will learn in short order it is not.
                    Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                      I made a thread for this a few weeks ago
                      #norespect

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                        Sorry about that. I searched it by UFC and Cormier and both brought zero results.
                        No problem! Just glad we're discussing it. I give the advantage to Jones, thinking he will use a big time reach advantage to keep the fight standing up instead of letting DC the grizzly bear to get a hold of him.

                        As for the UFC being "WWF", I disagree.

                        Sure, there are some big egos, none bigger than Conor McGregor who I have thrown my support behind lately. The difference is that in UFC it has to be backed up. The talking will be done, but in the end they are going to get a chance to beat each other's face in. I also like the big egos and trash talk because it builds hype around fights and brings a larger audience.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This could be over in 10 seconds or go the full fight.. I'm excited for this one and hope Cormier pulls it out.

                          As a former wrestler I always side with my groundies.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Shall we discuss the fights as they go on here?

                            I will start by saying Hector Lombard is fucking huge.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                              Shall we discuss the fights as they go on here?

                              I will start by saying Hector Lombard is fucking huge.
                              Monster. My nephew trains at ATT in coconut creek and I see him in the gym when I visit florida. He's a beast.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by FDNYIrish1 View Post
                                Monster. My nephew trains at ATT in coconut creek and I see him in the gym when I visit florida. He's a beast.
                                Burkman is trying to get in his head, but clearly getting the worse of the fight. Lombard showing off his great grappling.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Excited to see Kyoji next fight. 14-1, 3-0 in the UFC, and on an 8 fight win streak.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Nice feature on Conor McGregor.

                                    He's going to kill Siver on the 18th.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Go Jones!!!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        What kind of depraved communist wants to watch ju jitsu instead of an NFL playoff game?

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                          What kind of depraved communist wants to watch ju jitsu instead of an NFL playoff game?
                                          Haha I have been switching back between fights, but there is no denying how entertaining MMA is.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Steelers Suck, I'd like fight updates.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by Me2SouthBend View Post
                                              Steelers Suck, I'd like fight updates.
                                              Got you covered.

                                              Tavares looks pretty good vs. Marquardt right now in the 2nd, but Nate has the power to change that with one punch.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Both guys timid to make a move, crowd throwing some boo's.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
                                                  This could be over in 10 seconds or go the full fight.. I'm excited for this one and hope Cormier pulls it out.

                                                  As a former wrestler I always side with my groundies.
                                                  Bones is a former JUCO champ himself.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
                                                    Bones is a former JUCO champ himself.
                                                    He has talked about his aspirations to go higher, but he had a kid and had to walk away. If he has it his way, I think the fight will be on the feet.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Hope that Cowboy get a quick win here and we get the main event rolling! Wont be easy, Jury is undefeated.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Originally posted by Redbar View Post
                                                        It was exactly tough man competition in that there were no weight classes, some guys trained professionally and some guys just liked to fight. Cabbage Carrera and Tank Abbott (and others) came from no fighting discipline whatsoever.. I remember one where a state trooper who liked to box at the gym came in as an alternate and landed a haymaker on this 40 something year old Karate instructor. Royce Gracie changed the sport when this 180 lb guy was submitting these huge behemoths.

                                                        I never had a problem with most of the personalities of the sport. The closest MMA has gotten to WWF was when Chael Sonnen was talking his way into match ups he had not earned. Brock Lesnar really tried to see if he could excel in MMA and that didn't last long. CM Punk I know nothing about but so far he seems respectful of the sport. If he thinks it is like WWF he will learn in short order it is not.
                                                        Royce won UFC 1, 2 & 4 and won every match at 3 till he broke his hand and withdrew...so he didn't change it, he defined it.

                                                        Sonen is a by product of the Tito, Iceman, Lesnar progression. Dana and the Fertitta's aren't stupid. Watch what makes Vince McMahon, Bob Arum and Don King billions and copy it.

                                                        .

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Cerrone dominated. It's about that time!!!

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Time for Bones to dominate!
                                                            GO IRISH!!!

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                                                              Cerrone dominated. It's about that time!!!
                                                              Rd 1 KO?

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Originally posted by Me2SouthBend View Post
                                                                Rd 1 KO?
                                                                Nah went all the way, but 30-27 unanimous.

                                                                Caught fire at the end with some vicious head and leg kicks. Jury was previously 15-0.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Wow I'm jacked up about this.

                                                                  DC sprinting down to the Octagon, let's go!!!

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Originally posted by GoldenDomer View Post
                                                                    Haha I have been switching back between fights, but there is no denying how entertaining MMA is.
                                                                    I will deny it. I watched one fight at a friend's house in college one time, I didn't get it then and I've managed to avoid it since. I don't get the appeal. It is just two guys rolling around on the ground with one another.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                                                      I will deny it. I watched one fight at a friend's house in college one time, I didn't get it then and I've managed to avoid it since. I don't get the appeal. It is just two guys rolling around on the ground with one another.
                                                                      HA!!!

                                                                      Then football is just 22 guys playing in grass. Come on now.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        They touched gloves, didn't see that coming. Here we go!

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Looks like Jones has DC rattled early. Lots of landed kicks and the 1st takedown of DC in his career.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            DC will need good ground defense if he's on his back. Elbows in tight will hurt.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              I give the 1st round to Jones.

                                                                              DC landed some decent shots, but not nearly the quantity as Bones.

                                                                              The reach advantage is so significant, and Cormier hasn't been able to get into his body.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Great comeback round for Cormier!

                                                                                Landed some great shots, got Jones in tight unlike the 1st.

                                                                                Corner is telling him, "that's the dog fight we want!"

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  Bones pokes DC in the eye... looks unintentional.

                                                                                  Jones continues to land short elbows from the clinch.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Was about to say idk who to give the 3rd round to, but DC lands a big takedown with seconds to go!

                                                                                    So far it looks like DC's fight but it's entirely too close too call. Let's see if they can make it 2 more!

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      who is streaming?
                                                                                      When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Looks like the 4th could be the difference in the fight.

                                                                                        Big round for Jones, 2 big takedowns against the fence.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Either fighter bloodied?

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Me2SouthBend View Post
                                                                                            Either fighter bloodied?
                                                                                            DC had a little from the mouth early but nothing big

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              Lots of grappling in the 5th. DC trying so hard to get a takedown, finally gets one but Jones pops up.

                                                                                              Big spinning elbow from Jones.

                                                                                              Looks like Jones is still the champ!!!

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                Is it over, just awaiting decision?

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  An Ok State Cowboy gassing, go figure.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Bones still is the champ!

                                                                                                    Hate the boo birds in the crowd, they have no idea about the conditioning, strategy, endurance etc that hoes just one match.
                                                                                                    GO IRISH!!!

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X