This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE's Comic Book/Movie/TV News Thread

Being as how there are more and more projects on TV and in the movies for (mostly) Marvel & DC universes (with a bit of some of the more niche comics as well), I thought maybe it might be a good idea to have a generic thread. I figured this would especially work for things like the various new series coming up like Gotham, Flash, Agent Carter, the 4 Netflix series that will eventually come together into "The Defenders", etc.

To start us off, here are a couple of new stories out today...

The Next Man: Channing Tatum's card punched to play Gambit in future X-Men movies-

Daredevil Netflix series designed to be one very large movie
    Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

GOTHAM extended trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0d1zpt6k5OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Not only is my wife driven insane by Channing Tatum, Gambit is her favorite comic character too. Damn, I might not recover from this one. I am definitely not telling her about this.

Comment

Constantine trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uPE2oBnzROY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Found this poll over at superherohype.com and figured I would use it to show all the new series coming soon that deal with comic book characters...

Which upcoming series are you looking forward to the most?

Agent Carter (ABC)
          Constantine (NBC)
          Daredevil (Netflix)
          The Defenders (Netflix)
          The Flash (The CW)
          Gotham (FOX)
          Iron Fist (Netflix)
          iZombie (The CW)
          Jessica Jones (Netflix)
          Luke Cage (Netflix)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
              Not only is my wife driven insane by Channing Tatum, Gambit is her favorite comic character too. Damn, I might not recover from this one. I am definitely not telling her about this.
              Buy a trenchcoat cuz you're gonna be role playing...

Comment

Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                Found this poll over at superherohype.com and figured I would use it to show all the new series coming soon that deal with comic book characters...

Which upcoming series are you looking forward to the most?

Agent Carter (ABC)
                Constantine (NBC)
                Daredevil (Netflix)
                The Defenders (Netflix)
                The Flash (The CW)
                Gotham (FOX)
                Iron Fist (Netflix)
                iZombie (The CW)
                Jessica Jones (Netflix)
                Luke Cage (Netflix)
                Gotham and Constantine though I wish Constantine was on Netflix or HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                  Buy a trenchcoat cuz you're gonna be role playing...
                  I have a great bayou accent.....

Comment

I hope this is good. It looks like it could either be very entertaining or complete shit. I have no reason not to trust Marvel so I'm pretty optimistic.
                    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

I would love to see HBO do a series on Rorscach's origin and upbringing. It could be gritty as hell, and pretty damn cool.

Comment

Comment

Caught up on the Agent's of Shield recently, hanging on the DVR for quite a while. I wasn't sold on the beginning of it but damn if their timing and integration with Winter Soldier wasn't pretty cool. I find myself anxious for the next season.

I also heard Spiderman II kind of sucked. I thought the first one was slow and I don't like that storyline as much as the Toby McGuire storyline. Spidey should be shooting his own webs, dammit, not using some contraption. This one looks like they are trying to cram ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag too.

Comment

Agree on Guardians. Could be pretty damn entertaining, I imagine a more lighthearted action flick. Or it could be hokey crap. I know nothing of the comic book backing this one up but they have introduced enough in trailers to get me and my 10 year old son to sign up for it.

Green Hornet comes to mind. I really liked that one, had be laughing hard in tons of spots. I imagine most would consider it a flop though. R ratings really eat into your market though, must be a tough line to draw for some of these looking tougher or being able to bring in the tweens with a little less gore, sex and violence.

Comment

Before They Were Movies: Early Attempts to Bring Superheroes to Life Onscreen

Comment

Marvel is and prolly will always be the king of comic book movies but with Arrow, Gotham, Flash, and Constantine DC is getting a nice slice of the market on network tv. I like agents of shield but I don't love it. Arrow was kick ass this season and if the flash show is half as good as the trailer it will be awesome as well.
                                Love comics, games, and pro-wrestling almost as much as the Irish? Visit my geek culture blog @ www.facebook.com/athleticgeek89 geek out and Go Irish!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                                  I would love to see HBO do a series on Rorscach's origin and upbringing. It could be gritty as hell, and pretty damn cool.
                                  I also would love to see more backstory on some of the Watchmen, but Rorscach would almost have to be violent and gory based on how fucked up he is and I don't know if I could watch an entire series about that. His scene's in Watchmen single handledly made me sick to my stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                                    I also would love to see more backstory on some of the Watchmen, but Rorscach would almost have to be violent and gory based on how fucked up he is and I don't know if I could watch an entire series about that. His scene's in Watchmen single handledly made me sick to my stomach.
                                    Watchmen IMO should've been a mini series rather than a movie. There is just too much there to condense into a movie and it would've been better.
                                    Love comics, games, and pro-wrestling almost as much as the Irish? Visit my geek culture blog @ www.facebook.com/athleticgeek89 geek out and Go Irish!

Comment

The Watchmen was good but not great. I love the Comic! Some of the differences just bothered me with it. The sequences with the kid reading the comic was a big part abandoned in the movie. In the graphic novel it's a mystery who it is as well but in the movie you know Ozymandias is up to no good. The movie could have been 5 hours long.

I remember going to the opening screening of it and a mom brought in 3 or 4 kids 10-12 years old. My friend and I looked each other and shook our heads because this lady thought "oh, a comic book movie, I'll take the kids". I know she didnt read the graphic novel but the fact that it was rated "R" should have been a key. I forget what part of the movie but she ended up walking the kids out.

Comment

Disney's "Big Hero 6"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vco0SpSz17g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Comment

Comment

GOTHAM extended trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0d1zpt6k5OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                              I really think that the CW has found its niche with the comic book based shows. Arrow really stepped it up this season, although I am a little nonplussed with what they have done with Black Canary, to this point.

Still Gotham looks pretty good, especially by taking a classic location and turning its focus onto a core supporting character who has ties to everything in the books, from the very beginning. Looks really good.

Really really hope that The Flash turns out well, although I have yet to see his character portrayed well on anything except animated films and the JLA animated series, which was amazing, even today.

Comment

Comment

Introducing the new Captain America

Marvel is replacing Steve Rogers with the new, black Captain America | The Verge

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Thor?src=hash">#Thor</a> creators <a href="https://twitter.com/jasonaaron">@jasonaaron</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/rdauterman">@rdauterman</a> discuss their new leading lady: Thor! <a href="http://t.co/jF75sgQOeI">http://t.co/jF75sgQOeI</a> <a href="http://t.co/XTbnT8R38A">pic.twitter.com/XTbnT8R38A</a></p>&mdash; Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel) <a href="https://twitter.com/Marvel/statuses/489439366108807168">July 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
                                                    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Originally posted by Corry View Post
                                                      N00b writers on that site.

Wilson will take up the mantle as a result of more recent events in Captain America continuity, however. In Captain America #21, Rogers fights his greatest foe yet in the Iron Nail, only to have the villain drain him of the super-soldier serum keeping him young and super strong. As a result, Cap is not only de-powered, but ages into an old man.

Steve Rogers is NOT super strong, nor does he have "powers." He is the pinnacle of human physicality, but does not exceed human limits. I'm not sure why losing super-soldier serum would make him age, either, as none of the other human Marvel characters age even without it.

Comment

I would love to see a more modern and definitely better remake of the Spawn series. The movie was awful in my opinion and with improved technology could be a great movie.

I am also really looking forward to the Gambit XMen spinoff although I am a little conflicted with the choice of Channing Tatum in the lead role.
                                                        “We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.” C.S. Lewis

Comment

Who's excited? Early reviews out of the UK are extremely positive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2LIQ2-PZBC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2LIQ2-PZBC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another Hellboy? I was in the minority and really enjoyed Hellboy.

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post

Guardians of the Galaxy - Rotten Tomatoes

Per Rotten Tomatoes, 21 critic reviews so far, 100% "Fresh", avg rating so far 8.3/10

Comment

Maybe we should just set up a live stream to Comic Con?

Comment

Comment

That is Batman IMO. The chin, the stubble, the ears, it is all perfect.

Comment

Conner.... you must be around the same age as me by the players in your sig...

Aren't Marvel movies the greatest thing ever from Hollywood. I used to spend every second I could reading at the Marvel stand in the local Hook's Drug store before buying my personal favorites... and seeing them come to life is like magic. I used to sit and just daydream for hours about my own story lines.

Heck, I even liked the Fantastic Four... but a darker reboot with a properly sized CGI Thing would make me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                                        That is Batman IMO. The chin, the stubble, the ears, it is all perfect.
                                                                        The timing of the DC universe is what kills me. People are going to be confused about continuity since the Dark Knight trilogy was so recent. I also hate that they can't seem to do anything without Batman. Man of Steel almost made me leave the theater. I don't want to go into a pro-Marvel rant but DC/WB need to get their act together.

Comment

I'm glad Rhodey is with the Avengers this time!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion10 View Post
                                                                            I'm glad Rhodey is with the Avengers this time!
                                                                            Also, rumors are that SHIELD agent Antione Triplett may show up, grandson of one of the Howling Commandos, and possibly a cameo for Falcon as well. Thus tying in other franchises even further.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                              Conner.... you must be around the same age as me by the players in your sig...

Aren't Marvel movies the greatest thing ever from Hollywood. I used to spend every second I could reading at the Marvel stand in the local Hook's Drug store before buying my personal favorites... and seeing them come to life is like magic. I used to sit and just daydream for hours about my own story lines.

Heck, I even liked the Fantastic Four... but a darker reboot with a properly sized CGI Thing would make me happy.
                                                                              <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wzqUnL89WkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My first taste of Spider Man...

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Im generally more of a DC to Marvel guy personally just because they seem to try and make it more realistic and while there is always some comedic relief it is not as explicit as in Marvel. Also DC is not owned by Disney thank God because even though they are good at marketing and selling their products it has limited what they can do with some of these movies. Also Sony is messing up Spiderman real bad. I would love to see what Marvel could do with him.
                                                                                God Country Notre Dame
                                                                                http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Also, rumors are that SHIELD agent Antione Triplett may show up, grandson of one of the Howling Commandos, and possibly a cameo for Falcon as well. Thus tying in other franchises even further.
                                                                                  Am I the only one who thinks that Triplett (BJ Britt) and Falcon (Anthony Mackie) look way too similar to be in the same fictional universe?

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    A piecing together of the various Avengers: Age of Ultron concept posters released so far:

Here is a breakout first look at Vison:

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                                                                                      Im generally more of a DC to Marvel guy personally just because they seem to try and make it more realistic and while there is always some comedic relief it is not as explicit as in Marvel.
                                                                                      Comic relief in DC/WB films? I don't know that I laughed once through the entire Dark Knight trilogy and certainly not in Man of Steel. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Dark Night films but none of them were exactly chuckle-fests.

Also DC is not owned by Disney thank God because even though they are good at marketing and selling their products it has limited what they can do with some of these movies.
                                                                                      How so?

Also Sony is messing up Spiderman real bad. I would love to see what Marvel could do with him.
                                                                                      I agree with you there. I'd love to see Spidey, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men in the same continuity as the Avengers but I don't see it happening.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Better look at new Batman costume:
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        ..
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        .

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          My point is that in every movie there is almost always some unintentional comic relief like in the dark knight when Alfred asks bruce if he will take the batmobile and he says no the lambourghini and Alfred says "much more subtle" Things of that nature. Marvel actively incorporates humor which I guess can add but I enjoy the more "realistic" stories.

Because of Disney I believe there are less gruesome and they seem to be more kid-friendly. I have seen all the iron-man movies but I thought they just got a little ridiculous at times. And what Disney does with these characters on other platforms is even more frustrating to me as the characters become completely childish.
                                                                                          God Country Notre Dame

Comment

• #46

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Okay those old Batman movies are quite ridiculous but the newer dc vision has cleaned that up quite a bit.
                                                                                              God Country Notre Dame

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Because of Disney I believe there are less gruesome and they seem to be more kid-friendly.
                                                                                                Disney doesn't dictate what their brands do like that. Being Disney-branded is a lot different than "being a company owned by Disney." Most people have no clue who owns Marvel. Pearl Harbor, Good Morning Vietnam, and plenty of other violent and "non-kid-friendly" movies have come out of Touchstone Pictures, which is also owned by TWDC.

I have seen all the iron-man movies but I thought they just got a little ridiculous at times.
                                                                                                Different strokes I guess.

And what Disney does with these characters on other platforms is even more frustrating to me as the characters become completely childish.
                                                                                                I wouldn't dismiss "childish" so quickly like that. Lego Marvel Superheros was a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to Disney Infinity 2.0 in a couple of months.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Sorry found the GIF thread at superherohype.com forums and laughing my butt off

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    The second Captain America was easily the best movie that Marvel has put out. I think they did an above average job with the avengers as well. I am really excited for Guardians and Avengers 2. I think they have really improved themselves since they started
                                                                                                    God Country Notre Dame

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X