X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars People

Just read this article:

Meet the Volunteers Willing to Go to Mars and Never Come Back

I get it if you were single, no children, and basically a loner where this might seem like a neat, adventurous way to make a major life change, to say the least. However, I cannot fathom the guy with a wife and kids who would be in essence walking out on his family in favor of his own self-fulfillment to do this. Why would your wife even want to stay with you knowing you were intentionally being put in a position by your husband to live on a countdown of time? I feel for those kids, what a terrible situation to be completely unneccessarily forced into. In the video he acts like someone is holding a gun to his head and making him choose "either go to Mars or stay on Earth with your family". It almost seems too unrealistic, probably a big hoax LOL.

What do you think?
    I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

I just read this too, literally like 2 mins ago. I'm like WTF at the people who have family.

Now, I am NOWHERE near semi-intelligent enough on this topic to even carry on a conversation about life on Mars but outside the discovery of 'life' is it enough to start a settlement? Does that even matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
      I just read this too, literally like 2 mins ago. I'm like WTF at the people who have family.

Now, I am NOWHERE near semi-intelligent enough on this topic to even carry on a conversation about life on Mars but outside the discovery of 'life' is it enough to start a settlement? Does that even matter?
      I don't know, but it would be cold as f*** and you'd have to wear a spacesuit whenever you went outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
        Just read this article:

Meet the Volunteers Willing to Go to Mars and Never Come Back

I get it if you were single, no children, and basically a loner where this might seem like a neat, adventurous way to make a major life change, to say the least. However, I cannot fathom the guy with a wife and kids who would be in essence walking out on his family in favor of his own self-fulfillment to do this. Why would your wife even want to stay with you knowing you were intentionally being put in a position by your husband to live on a countdown of time? I feel for those kids, what a terrible situation to be completely unneccessarily forced into. In the video he acts like someone is holding a gun to his head and making him choose "either go to Mars or stay on Earth with your family". It almost seems too unrealistic, probably a big hoax LOL.

What do you think?
        Considering what he wants to do, maybe it is his wife's idea?
        Take a Lap.

Comment

Originally posted by RuntheBall View Post
          Considering what he wants to do, maybe it is his wife's idea?
          Hmmmm, the female species can be clever....

Comment

Maybe they meant Mars Pennsylvania?

Or they're just circus freaks like the folks at this website I just found

Mars satan 's planet, Lucifer & cities of angels, end time prophecy, Martian Pyramids, Cydonia Face, angels & nephilim

Comment

There have been attempts at designing Martian habitats for many years now at NASA and other places. All of these scientifically-based designs indicate that while theoretically feasible, the actual lifestyle would be tedious beyond imagining.

Martian habitat would be easier in one sense than Lunar habitat, because you could park your life-domes right beside water supplies. Oxygen is is short supply in both places, so you have to electrolyze your own, using solar energy or small nukes you carried with you [mainly to energize fuel cells]. Neither place has any known carbon to speak of [minus the Martian CO2 frosts], so basically all your "food" will have to be bussed from Earth -- i.e. soil and seed and all else. Think of a larger Biosphere-two operation under lousy conditions. The "astronauts" of Biosphere Two nearly starved to death and worked their asses off all day every day to grow what they DID manage, and the air balance went foul on top of it.

Living in Antarctica with no chance to bail out and come home is pretty much a comparison. Can't think of a crummier life choice.

Comment

Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                I don't know, but it would be cold as f*** and you'd have to wear a spacesuit whenever you went outdoors.
                It was actually warmer on Mars than in the midwest this past winter.

Comment

Have to agree with OMM. This is one of my fantasies to see someone on Mars, though.

Comment

I try to avoid thinking in absolutes, but I cannot imagine a more miserable existence for me.

After watching the clip and listening to several of the prospects, I think the one thing that connects them all is that there is something seriously missing in their life. I am no psychologists, nor do I mean to judge any of them, but I heard a lot of motivations that were a little disturbing to me: general asocial tendencies, morbid curiosity with death/suicide, not having anything to really live for here, not feeling they have a purpose, wanting to do something so they will be remembered forever, the guy that is married with young kids that would be torn if his son asked him not to go...I don't know, I understand that great endeavors, exploration, might require a bit of discontent or even vaulting ambition, but I don't see the group in the documentary being near "scientific" enough to pull this off in any meaningful way, it seems like more of a novelty/guinea pig thing than a dedicated scientific experiment thing.
                    Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

This sounds like such a great idea. You get to work really really hard to live on a barren planet!

Seriously though I am in agreement with Redbar on this one. There is some things that just don't seem right about the people in the video. They all seem either troubled or detached from reality (escapism to the max). I think if that group was selected to go when they lifted off it would not feel like a celebration but more of the feeling you get in your gut when someone you know of commits suicide.
                      Last edited by bobbyok1; 03-07-2014, 07:55 PM.
                      When God does the big things, the little people get drawn in too. Human systems often forget that, but God doesn’t.- N.T. Wright "from "Simply Jesus"

Comment

Considering how nice being single (and on Earth) is, I'd probably only do this if I had a wife.

Comment

I'd do it YOLO.

Comment

On a serious note… why aren't we offering this as an option to people on death row or serving life sentences?

Send them up en' mass and keep a population of our species on another planet, safe from any future apocalyptical situation here on Earth. They can choose to be part of a great science experiment… or death. I mean… Australia has normal people now. Why not Mars?
                            Originally posted by koonja
                            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

That dude crying saying his son coming up to him telling him not to go would change his mind.......wtf?? Clearly your son wouldn't want you to go if he was old enough to fully understand the ramifications of what you are talking about, and based on his crying he already understands that. What a selfish asshat.

Comment

I'd party on mars. Maybe have a one night stand with a martian.

Alcohol makes any time a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                  On a serious note… why aren't we offering this as an option to people on death row or serving life sentences?

Send them up en' mass and keep a population of our species on another planet, safe from any future apocalyptical situation here on Earth. They can choose to be part of a great science experiment… or death. I mean… Australia has normal people now. Why not Mars?
                                  I was going to say they should relocate the U of M there.

Or maybe we could have a shamrock game there?
                                  Last edited by kuehnja; 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                                    Have to agree with OMM. This is one of my fantasies to see someone on Mars, though.
                                    I hear there are web sites where all your fantasies can come true.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                      That dude crying saying his son coming up to him telling him not to go would change his mind.......wtf?? Clearly your son wouldn't want you to go if he was old enough to fully understand the ramifications of what you are talking about, and based on his crying he already understands that. What a selfish asshat.
                                      I agree and I am thinking more and more that this has to be some sort of a hoax.

Comment

Sounds like a great place, but I think I'll just check out the pics they postt on facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishinTN View Post
                                          I hear there are web sites where all your fantasies can come true.
                                          Total Recall. Lol. I would love to be Quaid. The dude with the baby belly, not so much.

Comment

It would turn out to be more like Georgia. Polly not a good idea.

Comment

Can I send my family and stay here???
                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Once these dudes and dudettes get up there, I give it 10 days before there is a full fledge Lord of The Flies situation.

If ACamp went... He'd be Piggy. ;)
                                                Originally posted by koonja
                                                I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

I'm a Simon, all day every day
                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Once these dudes and dudettes get up there, I give it 10 days before there is a full fledge Lord of The Flies situation.

If ACamp went... He'd be Piggy. ;)
                                                    Anyone a fan of the movie Sunshine?

Comment

Originally posted by kuehnja View Post
                                                      I was going to say they should relocate the U of M there.
                                                      Shit, but those smug assholes would just brag that they're the most prestigious university on Mars and say they're football team is undefeated there. Theres also the fact that no other life form would be able to survive once Hoke finds out where the food supply is located.

Comment

As far as the video, yeah, fuck the guy with the wife and kids. Maybe he doesn't end up going through with it, but the fact he's even seriously considering it? Total dick, I feel sorry for his family. Hell, if this is the way he treats them, maybe they're better off with out him. He's worse than a dead beat dad that bolts. At least with a dead beat dad they can track him down and extort cash from him or lock the guy up. This dude is considering bolting on his family, never to return, leaving them high and dry while he lives out a "dream."

Comment

Off the top of your head name five people you would love to see make the trip.
                                                          1. Oldest daughters mother.
                                                          2. Ex boss that refused to take my 2week notice.
                                                          3. Justin Beiber
                                                          4. $ Mayweather
                                                          5. Niki Manaj

Could never walk out on my family. For any reason. Period

Comment

As of right now, it's a pretty pointless discussion about a maned exploration of Mars. They have to worry about space debris, solar radiation, food, the possibility of a hibernating state of sleep, artificial gravity, radiation from entering Mars' atmosphere, etc. It's fun to think about, but we're a long ways away, further then the 2024 date the company doing this wants.
                                                            sigpic

Comment

At the risk of starting an emotional IE experience: although Mars is obviously not an option for locating criminals [no such "establishment" exists and would comprise the most economy destroying criminal justice facility imaginable], people who are torn between rightful concern for security of innocent citizens and their personal religious stance against the death penalty [the only "cheap" way to go] [boy, this ought to aggravate some people here], conceive of a new "micro-Australia" here in the US.

What they imagine is the feds purchasing some large marginal agricultural area [say in western Kansas --- apologies to Jayhawk] wherein a mighty three-ringed security wall would be built --- we're talking a few counties --- and some water source located. Then just dump all the lifers in there to fend for themselves. You could throw down, by helicopter, food to begin with and seed to grow [and directions how to plant etc,] and let them decide if they wanted to cooperate and survive. {one would have to make a smaller separate one for the women.}

Intruding overflights would be ordered away, and if persisting, would be shot down --- i.e. no messing around tolerated. Third-edge, outer ring, guards would be constantly on duty, but with the single "facility" even a bunch of them would be economic compared to current system ubiquity across the country. These guards would also be zero tolerance on attempts to get past inner barriers, and the area would have dedicated satellite surveillance.

Occasional reports about the "quality of life" in "The Farm" would be made known in appropriate circumstances to the US public or elements of it. Doubtless it would be a dramatic deterrent for some at least.

I'm not sure what I think about this de novo Australia --- a real horror show in many ways --- but it would "solve" my own religious reluctance to actively kill someone before giving them one last chance to get their soul right. ... another impossible situation we humans create. And, I'd REALLY like to leave Mars out of it anyway --- we humans tend to ruin anything, so Mars has enough problems of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                                                                At the risk of starting an emotional IE experience: although Mars is obviously not an option for locating criminals [no such "establishment" exists and would comprise the most economy destroying criminal justice facility imaginable], people who are torn between rightful concern for security of innocent citizens and their personal religious stance against the death penalty [the only "cheap" way to go] [boy, this ought to aggravate some people here], conceive of a new "micro-Australia" here in the US.

What they imagine is the feds purchasing some large marginal agricultural area [say in western Kansas --- apologies to Jayhawk] wherein a mighty three-ringed security wall would be built --- we're talking a few counties --- and some water source located. Then just dump all the lifers in there to fend for themselves. You could throw down, by helicopter, food to begin with and seed to grow [and directions how to plant etc,] and let them decide if they wanted to cooperate and survive. {one would have to make a smaller separate one for the women.}

Intruding overflights would be ordered away, and if persisting, would be shot down --- i.e. no messing around tolerated. Third-edge, outer ring, guards would be constantly on duty, but with the single "facility" even a bunch of them would be economic compared to current system ubiquity across the country. These guards would also be zero tolerance on attempts to get past inner barriers, and the area would have dedicated satellite surveillance.

Occasional reports about the "quality of life" in "The Farm" would be made known in appropriate circumstances to the US public or elements of it. Doubtless it would be a dramatic deterrent for some at least.

I'm not sure what I think about this de novo Australia --- a real horror show in many ways --- but it would "solve" my own religious reluctance to actively kill someone before giving them one last chance to get their soul right. ... another impossible situation we humans create. And, I'd REALLY like to leave Mars out of it anyway --- we humans tend to ruin anything, so Mars has enough problems of its own.
                                                                OMM-

There's this game called Clash of Clans. I think you'd be pretty good at it. You should look into it.

Comment

.... this old brain is WAY to slow for modern games. And it has been trained for 50+ years to ponder things before responding to them. No pinball wizard I.

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                                    Anyone a fan of the movie Sunshine?
                                                                    Wouldn't call myself a fan, but I've seen it. Definitely something different.

Comment

Originally posted by GEORGIA DOMER View Post
                                                                      Off the top of your head name five people you would love to see make the trip.
                                                                      1. Oldest daughters mother.
                                                                      2. Ex boss that refused to take my 2week notice.
                                                                      3. Justin Beiber
                                                                      4. $ Mayweather
                                                                      5. Niki Manaj

Could never walk out on my family. For any reason. Period
                                                                      1. Justin Beiber
                                                                      2. Pete Carroll
                                                                      3. Lindsey Lohan
                                                                      4. Obama
                                                                      5. I can't come up with a 5th member that's deserving

Comment

They've narrowed down the list:

Mars One Picks 100 to Compete for One-Way Red Planet Trips - NBC News

However, based on current project plans, people at MIT say that someone will day within 68 days upon landing:

Mars One (and done?) | MIT News

Comment

I'll put this here for now and treat this as generic Mars thread...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p>Mysterious <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Martian?src=hash">#Martian</a> plume baffles scientists. From <a href="https://twitter.com/esascience">@esascience</a>: <a href="http://t.co/qQipvtWEXG">http://t.co/qQipvtWEXG</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/NASA_Hubble">@NASA_Hubble</a> <a href="http://t.co/KHXfl681TP">pic.twitter.com/KHXfl681TP</a></p>&mdash; NASA (@NASA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NASA/status/567454925311840256">February 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
                                                                          <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Has anyone seen Ah-nuld...did he go to Mars and push a big button?

Or has Tom Cruise moved to New Jersey with his family?
                                                                          Last edited by connor_in; 02-17-2015, 11:26 AM.
                                                                          Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

biggest load of steaming guano I've read in a long while. NONE of the essential technology for such a project exists in anything but the minds of wannabee fantasizers. You can put money on this: by 2025 not only will there be no selected reality team humans headed for a Mars colony, but there will be essentially zero progress towards such a thing [except a few slick entrepreneurs finding a way to milk this for some cash.]

Would I like there to be a Mars colony? Heck yes. But with what we actually can do, it would be government or "business" sponsored suicide. Hopefully I won't have to pay for such malarkey. ... now true scientific exploration of Solar System sites by non-manned robotic craft {like the Titan submarine} , THAT's different.

re: Martian plumes. In the late forties and early fifties there were a few "flashes" seen on Mars by Mars-o-phile astronomers. They've never been explained. Our greatest observational astronomer, Clyde Tombaugh, wondered to his military intelligence and scientific friends if these could have been nuclear explosions. Back in those days the possibility of advanced life on Mars seemed more feasible.
                                                                            Last edited by Old Man Mike; 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              SNL would have a field day with that first video...

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post

I think you just wrote a treatment for the 3rd installment of the "Escape From New York" series. Snake Pliskken in Kansas. Interesting.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                Working...
                                                                                X