Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDK about the book... but my wife and her sister LOVE the 80s film and have forced me to watch it twice.... honest to goodness, no hyperbole,... the worst freaking film I've ever had to watch in my life. I loathe it.
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Confessions of a Heretic- Roger Scruton. Brilliant mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
        IDK about the book... but my wife and her sister LOVE the 80s film and have forced me to watch it twice.... honest to goodness, no hyperbole,... the worst freaking film I've ever had to watch in my life. I loathe it.
        You and I (and a few others) discussed the film in the movie thread. It's awful. It's one of the worst things ever filmed. It's just turrible, turrible in so many different ways and on almost every level.
        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
          Dune is like Star Wars if Star Wars didn't care about you or your feelings.
          So Dune is based? Guess I better see it then.
          Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• how about The Billion Dollar Spy, then watch the film Ампула с ядом?

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
              Dune is like Star Wars if Star Wars didn't care about you or your feelings.
              The way Herbert kept everything grounded and almost actively avoided trying to make a grand spectacle of the technological stuff (from a future/sci-fi perspective) was very impressive, and is probably the most effective part of the book when you combine it with the story he's telling.

You get dropped into the future, where humans have colonized far reaches of space, with almost zero explanation or world-building. It's different enough to make you think about the progression that must have taken place, but doesn't beat you over the head and lean on it as part of the narrative. It's easy to step into Herbert's future without feeling lost, particularly with the callbacks to our own past.

I think it also helps that the worms are the only hint of truly "alien" life. It helps drive home the reality that the reader and our normal views on science fiction are unimportant lol.

Comment

• Finally snagged the new(ish) Gladwell book The Bomber Mafia on muh library app.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                  Just started Between Two Fires,… a horror story set in France during the Black Death,… so far it’s really good. 100 pages in
                  This was a really enjoyable read,… highly recommend.
                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Devoured Reverse of the Medal day 1 of my vacation. Just got 50 pages or so left in Letter of Marque. Then gonna switch back to Brothers K or mix it up.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X