Investing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
    Wouldn't it from this perspective - If this type of pressure is put on several different firms who hold equal risk, they are in a better position to withstand the pressure than one firm holding a big pile of risk? Since Melvin was off on their own iwth this giant position, it exposed them and the spergs on reddit used it against them.

I could be wrong here - this is my understanding.
    I don't think so. A margin call is a margin call -- the fact that Melvin holds so much just means they are likely to be liquidated from it. I could be wrong though.

Also, this isn't just Melvin. It's fun to rag on them because they are dunzo, but there are many other players here.

Comment

I totally missed this until last night b/c I was workign all day like a sucker.

NASDAQ is threatening to halt trading.

THE WRONG PEOPLE ARE MANIPULATING THE MARKETS!

And my trading platform is down. I'm sure it's totally a coincidence. Anyone else use Ally?

Per twitter people, Allly, TD and E-Trade are all down or have been down. The money changers are taking this well.

This is infuriating.
      Robinhood down too. It's funny how it's totally kosher for funds and banks to manipulate the market as they see fit, but when the proletariat gets a taste of power it literally crashes their house of cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
        Robinhood down too. It's funny how it's totally kosher for funds and banks to manipulate the market as they see fit, but when the proletariat gets a taste of power it literally crashes their house of cards.
        You got love the talk among them asking for "bailouts", especially after stuff like https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...all-businesses

My firm has a couple decently sized CA based hedge funds as clients, and the pandemic was so beneficial to them. Nothing like buying up destressed assets on the cheap with incredible financing rates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
          Sorry, don't use Ally. I have 4 different platforms (don't ask), but not Ally. All seem to be working okay ATM.
          Can you throw 10k at Gamestop for me? We've thrown shit at each other on a message board for years so you know I'm good for it.

Originally posted by tussin View Post
          I don't think so. A margin call is a margin call -- the fact that Melvin holds so much just means they are likely to be liquidated from it. I could be wrong though.

Also, this isn't just Melvin. It's fun to rag on them because they are dunzo, but there are many other players here.
          Ton of different players. The issue here is that Melvin was way overexposed - to a point where they couldn't/wouldn't just take the loss and move on. Instead, they doubled down. If a giant short position is held equally by several firms, they are all more likely to eat shit on the trade and move forward. Melvin overexposed themselves and knew it. What they didn't know is that they'd run out of money if things went bad.

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
          And if this isn't enough to make you violently angry, there's this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CNBC's David Faber said he is hearing a number of hedge funds are in similar trouble that Melvin Capital saw in its GameStop <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%24GME&amp;src=ctag&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Et fw">$GME</a> and may need to be bailed out. <a href="https://t.co/KAiADPUnOD">pic.twitter.com/KAiADPUnOD</a></p>&mdash; Streetinsider.com (@Street_Insider) <a href="https://twitter.com/Street_Insider/status/1354430650154176514?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hedge funds need a bailout.
          Last edited by Wild Bill ; 01-27-2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tussin View Post

I think the point is that if you know the players and their position, you can force the margin call. Sure, squeezes happen all the time. But the extent, veracity and timing can be impacted if you know who and how much. They aren't forced to sell with the margin call obviously. They could simply put more collateral in and wait it out. But if people know who you are and the size of your portfolio, "waiting it out" doesn't work. That is why anonymity is critical.

Comment

• I jumped on AMC last night in the low 7s and sold premarket at 16.50 then jumped back into it after market opened and it dipped. Hoping for 20 + by EOD

Comment

• Last edited by ab2cmiller; 03-20-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Last edited by DCDomer; 01-27-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blockbuster stock up 774% this morning <a href="https://t.co/ExnZbfl3f6">https://t.co/ExnZbfl3f6</a></p>&mdash; Tom Gara (@tomgara) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1354445920226713604?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                    The Onion is always so funny.
                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

Hedge funds need a bailout.
                      I hear there are several high paying new opportunities in the solar industry and for those learning to code.
                      Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• That was the craziest 12 hours of my life. I haven't slept. Tried to make sense of the BB and AMC but it's too much to babysit while sitting on the gamestop volcano. And people wonder why Wall St was full of cocaine in the 80's?

Wild ride this morning, watched it fall $100 and basically got lucky it turned around at $250 because I was seconds away from selling. Planned to sell at $400, didn't make it and got out at $340. Crazy two days.

Thanks again Elon.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                          That was the craziest 12 hours of my life. I haven't slept. Tried to make sense of the BB and AMC but it's too much to babysit while sitting on the gamestop volcano. And people wonder why Wall St was full of cocaine in the 80's?

Wild ride this morning, watched it fall $100 and basically got lucky it turned around at $250 because I was seconds away from selling. Planned to sell at $400, didn't make it and got out at $340. Crazy two days.

Thanks again Elon.
                          Coward

Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Free market&quot; <a href="https://t.co/K4UGAMJv43">pic.twitter.com/K4UGAMJv43</a></p>&mdash; shaquille o&#39;atmeal (@crypt0e) <a href="https://twitter.com/crypt0e/status/1354465380127936513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• https://media.tenor.com/images/db7fb...a61f/tenor.gif

-look, I understand it's a dying business located in mall that's currently shut down due to a deadly pandemic but there's real opoprtunity here

Comment

• ... playing with fire, gentlemen. This is almost Ponzi like. People will lose sooner or later ... big.

Comment

• $NAKD $NAKD $NAKD

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                    $NAKD $NAKD $NAKD
                                    What's the theory?

GME
                                    AMC
                                    BB
                                    NOK

Comment

• Im gonna empty my 401k early and buy at $400. AM I doing this right?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                        I understand this sentiment but I'm not sure its accurate. Robinhood allows margin trades. Now, say investor X on the platform tries to by the stock on margin at 300. Price floor drops to 150 and margin is inadequate and its robimhood, so the investor is a 19 year old with 5k in the bank. Robinhood still needs to clear the trades and is the one on the hook. Now, you can say they should stop issuing margin. That's true. But there isn't a button or mouse click that can fix it instantly. I am sure they are also protecting larger clients as well, but I believe this is about looking out for themselves in the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                          What's the theory?

GME
                                          AMC
                                          BB
                                          NOK
                                          This does appear to be the grouping. I picked up some BB today and put a Stop Loss order in case it melts down. Not terribly bothered by the after hours dip. But then again, I dont know what Im talking about.
                                          My CFB Book: https://www.amazon.com/Southbound-Tr.../dp/0692932593

Comment

What's the theory?

GME
                                            AMC
                                            BB
                                            NOK
                                            The $BB and $NOK plays make no sense and there's evidence that they are being promoted by bots trying to push people off $GME.

$AMC is fine I guess for a short-term momentum play but I don't think the actual bull case is there to trigger a squeeze anywhere near the magnitude of what we have with GameStop.

Comment

The $BB and $NOK plays make no sense and there's evidence that they are being promoted by bots trying to push people off $GME.

$AMC is fine I guess for a short-term momentum play but I don't think the actual bull case is there to trigger a squeeze anywhere near the magnitude of what we have with GameStop.
                                              BB is the second highest shorted stock and had legit buzz before all this GME stuff really broke out because they announced a contract with Amazon.

Comment

BB is the second highest shorted stock and had legit buzz before all this GME stuff really broke out because they announced a contract with Amazon.
                                                No, BlackBerry is not that shorted.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BB/key-statistics?p=BB

https://www.highshortinterest.com/

Comment

You're right, I think I had it confused with BBBY.

The Amazon contract is still true though.

Comment

• Can someone post the next GameStop? Asking for a friend.
                                                    2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• All this stuff with these shorted stocks in recent days makes me happy than I'm an "access employee" and can only really index (without jumping through hoops.) Enjoy the ride gents!! I'm sitting on the sideline and enjoying the entertainment aspect of this all. Not going to cry that some hedge fund managers are getting serviced.
                                                      MZ is the QB for me!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Polish Irishman View Post
                                                        Can someone post the next GameStop? Asking for a friend.
                                                        With all the Executive Orders that have been signed and the threat of more climate friendly policy, people have been shorting some of the energy firms and the industrials that rely on and utilize the unfriendly raw materials. Anacott steel has been battered, but is grossly undervalued. My buddy, let's call him Blue Horseshoe, loves Anacott on the short squeeze. It's going to $50 before the call options really surge. Get in now before it's too late.

Comment

With all the Executive Orders that have been signed and the threat of more climate friendly policy, people have been shorting some of the energy firms and the industrials that rely on and utilize the unfriendly raw materials. Anacott steel has been battered, but is grossly undervalued. My buddy, let's call him Blue Horseshoe, loves Anacott on the short squeeze. It's going to $50 before the call options really surge. Get in now before it's too late.
                                                          Buy 10,000 shares of that dogshit stock and call me in the morning

Comment

• Originally posted by The Polish Irishman View Post
                                                            Can someone post the next GameStop? Asking for a friend.
                                                            AMC and BB are next in line for WSB.

NOK and NAKD for the poors.

Comment

I may be a complete moron but I do actually like steel stocks as a play in 2021. Steel prices are soaring to all time highs. Housing is booming. Surging car demand. Biden infrastructure bill? Stocks battered down from global corona concerns. Sign me up and call me Bud.

Comment

I may be a complete moron but I do actually like steel stocks as a play in 2021. Steel prices are soaring to all time highs. Housing is booming. Surging car demand. Biden infrastructure bill? Stocks battered down from global corona concerns. Sign me up and call me Bud.
                                                                Steel prices are recognizing the significant forecasted economic growth to occur in China this year. It's certainly impacting the global supply chain. The movement of the CNY is also helping bolster prices. One of the big concerns will be what happens with Covid over China New Year. If they keep a lid on it, many of the industrials or raw materials that are linked to China will have a good year IMO.

Comment

Nucor is a well run company and you're right, steel prices are sky high. Price doesn't move much. I've been buying at 50s and selling at 60s for years. 3% yield too. Not a bad long term stock to hold.

Comment

• Robinhood just stopped offering AMC, NOK and others. How is that legal?

These people truly deserve to get burned to the ground. Occupy Wall Street would have wet dreams about this moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCDomer View Post
                                                                      Robinhood just stopped offering AMC, NOK and others. How is that legal?

These people truly deserve to get burned to the ground. Occupy Wall Street would have wet dreams about this moment.

I think the Wall Street Bets guys really did a number. I have NOK, but can only sell it. Not sure how they are able to do that. I guess if there is some strange amount of volume they can shut it down, but I am not sure of the parameters
                                                                      " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

Nucor is a well run company and you're right, steel prices are sky high. Price doesn't move much. I've been buying at 50s and selling at 60s for years. 3% yield too. Not a bad long term stock to hold.
                                                                        My brother in law works for one of their higher producing plants and internally they are struggling having to reshuffle and retool in numerous plants. Numbers look good on paper but he says the tariffs and buy American stuff is straining the company locally, but globally the higher up seems to be juggling it well.

Comment

Naked was the next big one coming. Stopped offering that one as well. This is total bullshit.. Good luck with that IPO robinhood.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoIll View Post
                                                                            Naked was the next big one coming. Stopped offering that one as well. This is total bullshit.. Good luck with that IPO robinhood.

Robinhood is dead, and whoever made that call should be in cuffs by lunchtime.

Comment

NOK and NAKD for the poors.

Comment

• Played AMC yesterday pretty well. Missed entry this morning but will holout for a dip.

GAINZ!!!!!!!

Comment

• I bought a share of GME at $260. Fuck it.

Comment

I think people are seeing now that [retail investors] now have the ability to invest and theyre empowered, Tenev said.

That was from yesterday. Lol.

I understand the reasons why they would be going that and why people were now charging extreme juice on margins. But the optics on this are just horrible for them.

Comment

Robinhood is dead, and whoever made that call should be in cuffs by lunchtime.
                                                                                      What law did they break?

Comment

• My AMC and Nokia orders were cancelled before Open.

Trash RH.
                                                                                        "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

What law did they break?
                                                                                          Maybe none. Maybe many.

I'd bet my last dollar there will be no criminal investigation on behalf of their customers or in the interest of justice. I think that's the part that doesn't sit well with people. It'll only be investigated if it's in the interest of big money.

Maybe we can file a civil suit and unintentionally expose criminality. All we need is a big pile of cash to depose billionaires and litigate against their army of attorneys so I'm sure that'll work out.

The silver lining here is that many on the right have realized that these money changers aren't good for our society, and if you combine that with the fanaticism on the left, maybe it leads to something.

Comment

• Absolutely disgusting.

Comment

• Imagine being so powerful you can short a stock into oblivion and then literally stop anyone from buying it.

Comment

• Free Market!!!!!!

Comment

• Fuck WeBull too.

Comment

• Not so fun when Rabbit's got the gun.

Comment

• Just another stark reminder of Carlin's "It's a big club and you ain't in it" bit.

The true divide in this country isn't left and right, it's up and down.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X