No announcement yet.

Investing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain to me the exit strategies for these GME shareholders to be able to cash in on this insane run? I know the point is to hold firm, but if you're a normal folk with a few thousand invested here, wouldn't you be tempted to take your gains and run? What about Ryan Cohen? How does he cash in his billions?

Comment

• GME has been buying back their shares for years - 2016 they had 106M shares out steadily down to 65M today. Float has been declining for years. Spent a bit over $500M retiring 40M shares.

Would be smart to issue 10M shares at $200 or more - $2B of cash infusion moves the floor from bankruptcy to $27/share liquidation value. That is still a painful floor for the shorts who were still shorting at $2/share and a locks in a nice gain for the early actors who bought at $2. May or may not be enough additional float to pop the bubble but I expect the best way to soak the most $$ from the big money crowd.

I don't get this diamond grip stuff - sell a tenth of it at $300 and put limit orders in at ridiculously high values. Half your shares at $5000/share for example. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Comment

• https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pg?format=750w

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
          Can someone explain to me the exit strategies for these GME shareholders to be able to cash in on this insane run? I know the point is to hold firm, but if you're a normal folk with a few thousand invested here, wouldn't you be tempted to take your gains and run? What about Ryan Cohen? How does he cash in his billions?
          Haters, lovers and opportunists. Some are going to make money and many are going to lose money. I think it's going to be the opportunists. I really hate this story.

Best financial advice I ever received was given to me by my father over 40 years ago... "Don't give your shares names".

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post
            Haters, lovers and opportunists. Some are going to make money and many are going to lose money. I think it's going to be the opportunists. I really hate this story.

Best financial advice I ever received was given to me by my father over 40 years ago... "Don't give your shares names".
            Greenoe Sr confirmed 🧻✋

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
              I don't get this diamond grip stuff - sell a tenth of it at $300 and put limit orders in at ridiculously high values. Half your shares at $5000/share for example. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
              This is exactly what I did. I got in very early to this trade and sold about a third of my position. The rest of the shares can go to zero and I'll have $20K profit guaranteed.

Originally posted by Greenore View Post
              There's nothing to hate about this story. Many, many retail traders are getting rich by exploiting a bad trade by institutional investors. It's a wonderful storyline. People who are making initial investments now may very likely lose money -- but I don't think the risk is underappreciated. Turn on CNBC and you will get hit over the head with why this is an enormously risky play right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by tussin View Post
                This is exactly what I did. I got in very early to this trade and sold about a third of my position. The rest of the shares can go to zero and I'll have $20K profit guaranteed.

There's nothing to hate about this story. Many, many retail traders are getting rich by exploiting a bad trade by institutional investors. It's a wonderful storyline. People who are making initial investments now may very likely lose money -- but I don't think the risk is underappreciated. Turn on CNBC and you will get hit over the head with why this is an enormously risky play right now.
                I'm being sincere in saying best of luck tussin and everyone else involved in this play. I hope you all make lots of money. I really don't care about the hedge funds but I do worry about the "average joe/jill" investor. As always, Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                  I'm being sincere in saying best of luck tussin and everyone else involved in this play. I hope you all make lots of money. I really don't care about the hedge funds but I do worry about the "average joe/jill" investor. As always, Caveat Emptor.
                  Appreciate it -- I am blessed enough to have a great job and plenty to fall back on. This is honestly fun money to me.

I do get the concern about Average Joe, but I find it hard to believe that there is widespread misunderstanding of the risks involved. If anything, I hope this encourages more and more individuals to read about finance and invest in the markets. Also, despite the fact that many hedge fund guys are manipulators, I don't really have a bone to pick with the concept of hedge funds in general. The market is a jungle and it's fun to see the retail investors massively outmaneuver "professionals" on this trade. Make no mistake -- the retail guys that got in early on this trade (and there are many) are making out with millions.

Comment

The $BB and $NOK plays make no sense and there's evidence that they are being promoted by bots trying to push people off $GME.

$AMC is fine I guess for a short-term momentum play but I don't think the actual bull case is there to trigger a squeeze anywhere near the magnitude of what we have with GameStop.
                    Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                    BB is the second highest shorted stock and had legit buzz before all this GME stuff really broke out because they announced a contract with Amazon.
                    Originally posted by tussin View Post
                    Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                    AMC and BB are next in line for WSB.

NOK and NAKD for the poors.

Am BB owner, am okay with that. TO THE MOON!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just got a tip that Citadel reloaded their shorts before they told Robinhood to stop trading <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%24GME&amp;src=ctag&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Et fw">$GME</a>.<br><br>If this is true, Ken Griffin and the Robinhood founders should be in jail.<br><br>This is class warfare.</p>&mdash; Justin Kan (@justinkan) <a href="https://twitter.com/justinkan/status/1354853920762253315?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                      Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                      If true, this is criminal. But unless they were dumb enough to put it in an email it'll never get proven. Shorting GME at $400 and then taking direct action to crash the price is literally securities fraud.
                      This is my friend's business partner. He was given the good ol' CnD after this.

Comment

• I don't think I've ever wanted to smash a person's face into a car windshield more than the people who created these dumpster fire verification processes.

I shouldn't need an extensive verification process to transfer crypto that I PAID FOR.
                        It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Ah, Uphold worked.

Thank you Uphold. Doge acquired, TO THE MOON!
                          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rejpDqQUcV0

Comment

• appears there is also some action in silver within WSB.

Comment

• hope this smooths over soon so my 401k and IRA's can stop going down.

Comment

• Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
                                  hope this smooths over soon so my 401k and IRA's can stop going down.
                                  Agree. Anyone with more knowledge than myself have any insight into what the markets as a whole will do over the next couple weeks? I feel the longer this GME thing plays out the more likely we see a general downtrend in the markets? Then a fairly quick rebound. Yay or nay?

Comment

• Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post
                                    Agree. Anyone with more knowledge than myself have any insight into what the markets as a whole will do over the next couple weeks? I feel the longer this GME thing plays out the more likely we see a general downtrend in the markets? Then a fairly quick rebound. Yay or nay?
                                    Maybe. Depends how much of the selloff was due to the hedge funds unloading shares to pay off their losses from their idiotic short positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
                                      Maybe. Depends how much of the selloff was due to the hedge funds unloading shares to pay off their losses from their idiotic short positions.
                                      Yea, agree....plus earnings season is out, so lots of potential for some ups and downs. I would say that if you are a long term investor and you like certain companies, buy the dip if you it suits your fancy. But this is part of the ups and downs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                        Yea, agree....plus earnings season is out, so lots of potential for some ups and downs. I would say that if you are a long term investor and you like certain companies, buy the dip if you it suits your fancy. But this is part of the ups and downs.
                                        This.

Stocks go up more than they should and they go down more than they should. That’s where the short term opportunities arise. Long term investors just stay the course and buy the dips.

Earnings are coming out, looking quite good, but investors are selling the news. That’s usually a good environment to buy the dips. 7-10% pullbacks are fairly common but when they happen folks get uncomfortable and/or look for reasons for it to be worse than it is.

There will always be events that cause these types of pullbacks. I have no doubt that this current one is causing some pairing down of position sizing. Plus, investors need to get comfortable with a higher volatility environment. Since 2012 the Volatility Index spent most of its time below 20, sometimes significantly below 20. Even with this most recent stock market rally, the Vix never closed below 20, only once intraday did that occur. Now it’s over 30 so these pullbacks can happen rather quickly with a Vix sustaining at these higher levels. We’re already 4% off the highs and there are some good values popping up.

This is not a recommendation.

Comment

• All these major outlets picking up the silver story saying Reddit's behind it while WSB is not pushing it at all and seemingly against it. Considering they were so slow to pick up the GME story, but are quick on this before there's barely any movement, one might think the hedge funds are behind this to make money on silver to cover their GME losses.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetb..._fuck_citadel/

Comment

• My stop loss triggered -- it was a wild, fun ride with $GME.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                              All these major outlets picking up the silver story saying Reddit's behind it while WSB is not pushing it at all and seemingly against it. Considering they were so slow to pick up the GME story, but are quick on this before there's barely any movement, one might think the hedge funds are behind this to make money on silver to cover their GME losses.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetb..._fuck_citadel/

WSB and a bunch of other things I am seeing are saying this is the Hedge Funds, and it is a "trap". Not sure if this is WSB using reverse psychology, or if they are truly warning folks that it is a set up. I am leaning towards WSB trying to warn people.

It is funny how $SLV is all over the media/twitter/ect…. not really like WSB
                                              " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                This. Plus those who are risk adverse may be taking some profit and putting it into safer vehicles until this all blows over.

Comment

• Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                  WSB and a bunch of other things I am seeing are saying this is the Hedge Funds, and it is a "trap". Not sure if this is WSB using reverse psychology, or if they are truly warning folks that it is a set up. I am leaning towards WSB trying to warn people.

I absolutely believe those fucking morons in there.

Comment

Yeah Citron is the majority owner of $SLV.

It's not a trap and I'm sure anyone who bought early based on the headline has made a decent %. But WSB never talked up that stock and it's clearly being floated around just to distract unsuspecting people from GME/AMC, and make Citron some money back.

Comment

My stop loss triggered -- it was a wild, fun ride with $GME.
                                                      Opened at $140 and already down to $130 lol, put a fork in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meatloaf View Post
                                                        Opened at $140 and already down to $130 lol, put a fork in it.

That is what the hedge funds want you to do. Everytime you sell, they will. I am holding
                                                        NOK, AMC, GME.

Comment

• Anybody watching Cassava (SAVA)?

Comment

• Originally posted by 317Irish View Post
                                                            Anybody watching Cassava (SAVA)?

That's a big gain on some limited news. Seems like the typical "shows promise" study that draws a lot of attention for 5 mins then comes down to Earth. Again I could be wrong and I am not giving financial advise, only my opinion.

Comment

I hope you didn't buy. This is one of those you throw in your Watchlist and see how it trends for a week or two.

Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                                              That's a big gain on some limited news. Seems like the typical "shows promise" study that draws a lot of attention for 5 mins then comes down to Earth. Again I could be wrong and I am not giving financial advise, only my opinion.
                                                              This.
                                                              "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
                                                                I hope you didn't buy. This is one of those you throw in your Watchlist and see how it trends for a week or two.

This.
                                                                Bought and sold. It was up over 200% at one point and finished up over 100% soooo....

Comment

Bought and sold. It was up over 200% at one point and finished up over 100% soooo....
                                                                  I didn’t know you bought prior to when you posted, my bad. Great buy!

Edit: just seen where it is sitting at now. Dang! When I had posted it looked like the day traders were throwing it away prior to close and figured it would end up spiraling down a bit.
                                                                  Last edited by Henges24; 02-02-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• I am just getting into stocks. I studied up on where to get my information and who to follow, that kind of stuff. Ran across @FourToEight on Twitter and chased that for several months. Ended up in the discord for his Wiseguys Investing. I would highly recommend newer people to look into this. As always, you risk whatever you're willing to lose. I learned a lot of knowledge without ever investing a dollar into stocks. Finally pulled the trigger on a few, specifically CCIV which got me a nice run today.

As always, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. All information you learn online isn't a guarantee. Be careful!!
                                                                    I used to be D-BOE34 but I can't login for some reason. Will someone donate some vBucks?

Comment

• Originally posted by DONALDIII View Post
                                                                      I am just getting into stocks. I studied up on where to get my information and who to follow, that kind of stuff. Ran across @FourToEight on Twitter and chased that for several months. Ended up in the discord for his Wiseguys Investing. I would highly recommend newer people to look into this. As always, you risk whatever you're willing to lose. I learned a lot of knowledge without ever investing a dollar into stocks. Finally pulled the trigger on a few, specifically CCIV which got me a nice run today.

As always, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. All information you learn online isn't a guarantee. Be careful!!
                                                                      Zero lies are told on IE.

Comment

Zero lies are told on IE.
                                                                        Only since Koon got booted

Comment

• I helped start an investment bank back in 2005 in a Central Asian country. Another guy and myself started the brokerage end of the bank, the Sales and Trading Dept. For what it's worth, outside of John Bogle inspired index funds, I do very little on the market and am currently holding cash. This extreme cautiousness is, in part, due to the amount of new retail investors and day traders in the market.

This is from a conversation I had with a Bank's CIO and former colleague (see above):

Perspective is always healthy: "These “reddit board” retail traders that have been credited (or blamed) for the explosions in the stocks give us an interesting insight into current psychology. Some commentators have stated that this is a revolution in financial markets, where the retail traders get to boss around the institutions. The retail traders are angry, people say, and want to “stick it to the man.” We disagree. It’s not a revolution. They’re not railing against the system, they’re embracing it.

What many of these retail traders think they are doing is out-smarting institutions for being short a stock. That’s a sign of extreme bullishness. “What d’ya mean you’re short?! Don’t ya know stocks can only go up?!”

This episode is also a classic sign of incredible excess liquidity sloshing around the markets. A click on your mouse and you can be leveraged to the hilt in a second.

And it is a quintessential display of retail herding behavior, of course. “Join the message board crowd or lose out!”

Excess bullishness, excess liquidity and retail herding behavior. These are all attributes of exuberance seen at historic stock market tops.

Two of the most famous short squeezes came over a hundred years ago. In 1901 it was Northern Pacific Railway, and in 1907 it was United Copper. Both squeezes are still remembered because they occurred just before major crashes in the stock market."

Comment

• Originally posted by NDFAN420 View Post
                                                                            I helped start an investment bank back in 2005 in a Central Asian country. Another guy and myself started the brokerage end of the bank, the Sales and Trading Dept. For what it's worth, outside of John Bogle inspired index funds, I do very little on the market and am currently holding cash. This extreme cautiousness is, in part, due to the amount of new retail investors and day traders in the market.

This is from a conversation I had with a Bank's CIO and former colleague (see above):

Perspective is always healthy: "These “reddit board” retail traders that have been credited (or blamed) for the explosions in the stocks give us an interesting insight into current psychology. Some commentators have stated that this is a revolution in financial markets, where the retail traders get to boss around the institutions. The retail traders are angry, people say, and want to “stick it to the man.” We disagree. It’s not a revolution. They’re not railing against the system, they’re embracing it.

What many of these retail traders think they are doing is out-smarting institutions for being short a stock. That’s a sign of extreme bullishness. “What d’ya mean you’re short?! Don’t ya know stocks can only go up?!”

This episode is also a classic sign of incredible excess liquidity sloshing around the markets. A click on your mouse and you can be leveraged to the hilt in a second.

And it is a quintessential display of retail herding behavior, of course. “Join the message board crowd or lose out!”

Excess bullishness, excess liquidity and retail herding behavior. These are all attributes of exuberance seen at historic stock market tops.

Two of the most famous short squeezes came over a hundred years ago. In 1901 it was Northern Pacific Railway, and in 1907 it was United Copper. Both squeezes are still remembered because they occurred just before major crashes in the stock market."
                                                                            No disagreeing with you, but do you really see any change on the horizon w/r/t liquidity?

Comment

• Nm
                                                                              Last edited by notredomer23; 02-03-2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Why the fuck didn't I listen to this??

Any more hot tips?

Comment

• Chainlink.... the OG IrishEnvy tip... just hit another record high.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                    Chainlink.... the OG IrishEnvy tip... just hit another record high.
                                                                                    Yeah I did well here thanks to Wildman. I owe him a beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

Any more hot tips?
                                                                                      Doge Coin - no joke

Comment

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

Any more hot tips?
                                                                                        I’m a novice, hence why I didn’t hold on to it and only made a fraction of what I could have. Especially with the way things have been trending the last couple of weeks, I pay a little more attention to the stocks making big daily % jumps and try to get a sense of whether they appear to still have some upward movement in them. That probably reads more as common sense than advice, but lately some are easier to get a feel on whether they are in the midst of a major boom. My trigger finger is just too quick to fully capitalize.

Comment

I’m a novice, hence why I didn’t hold on to it and only made a fraction of what I could have. Especially with the way things have been trending the last couple of weeks, I pay a little more attention to the stocks making big daily % jumps and try to get a sense of whether they appear to still have some upward movement in them. That probably reads more as common sense than advice, but lately some are easier to get a feel on whether they are in the midst of a major boom. My trigger finger is just too quick to fully capitalize.
                                                                                          There are worse things than taking a profit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
                                                                                            Doge Coin - no joke
                                                                                            THIS along with PLUG/FCEL/BLNK

Got in early on these and they look to keep going up. I like the stocks

** I am not a financial advisor and these are my personal opinions, I am in no way advising people what to buy or not buy, I am also an idiot **

Comment

THIS along with PLUG/FCEL/BLNK

Got in early on these and they look to keep going up. I like the stocks

** I am not a financial advisor and these are my personal opinions, I am in no way advising people what to buy or not buy, I am also an idiot **
                                                                                              I work in EV charging and can tell you that BLNK is a trash company. Their stock price will fall off a cliff when the EV bubble pops. It’s a $5/share stock.

Comment

I work in EV charging and can tell you that BLNK is a trash company. Their stock price will fall off a cliff when the EV bubble pops. It’s a $5/share stock.

Maybe, but they have made me a SHIT TON of money so far.

Comment

• Dogecoin lol... a literal meme that somehow has "value" because people love speculative assets... and because Musk tweeted about it this morning after it bottomed out off it's meme peak a week ago

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                                    Dogecoin lol... a literal meme that somehow has "value" because people love speculative assets... and because Musk tweeted about it this morning after it bottomed out off it's meme peak a week ago

^This. The only reason this crypto is worth a damn is Musk pumping it up every so often.

I was dumb and sold of my chain link back in September 2020. Oh well.

Saying that I have made a point to long term invest in ethereum, which recently hit an all time high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                                                                      Saying that I have made a point to long term invest in ethereum, which recently hit an all time high.
                                                                                                      Have you ever used ETH? I think it will get displaced because it's so expensive and time-intensive. It actually has a similar issue to BTC where it simply can't scale enough to support adoption (except BTC has evolved to become a store of value). Transactions on the ETH blockchain currently take 5-10 minutes and cost $50+ in gas fees. It's unsustainable.

I think ETH will get surpassed by some combination of ADA, DOT, ALGO, or AVAX in the next 2-3 years. It is definitely a good hold though for the current bull run.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X